Blindfold: First Sight

Printer-friendly version

Blindfold: First Sight

Meet Blindfold. She's already female and won't be changing. Blindfold has definitely been retconed however. She's young and like Michael Valentine Smith or Mork she may look human but... Don't worry. The prologue is very formal but the rest definitely won't be. Blame the formality on Indigo-1. The bad jokes will be mine.

The Indigo Tribe is owned by Detective Comics and gratefully used here. The RetconUniverse is created by Lilith Langtree. This is a continuing retcon of the Indigo Tribe.


Indigo Lantern Power Ring.jpg

Indigo Vow

Tor lorek san, bor nakka mur,
Natromo faan tornek wot ur,
Ter lantern ker lo Abin Sur,
Taan lek lek nok -- Formorrow Sur!

Indigo Lantern Power Ring.jpg


Prologue

The cry reached out impossibly louder the further it reached. Any being with the smallest bit of telepathy knew something was wrong.

The current Green Lantern of sector 2804, along with other telepaths were zeroing in on the brain ringing sound when it stopped, abruptly. The mental silence was deafening.

Just as the tension began to rise to the "Since I’m already here someone is getting a beat down" level and battle lines were forming, every potential combatant was returned to his, her or its place of origin.

When power like that touches you, it’s usually a good idea to include yourself out of what’s going on.

Stubborn and determined, Hal Jordan was ready to go back when a voice spoke, :This little one is not for you Green Lantern. She is Indigo, have no fear.

The wordless query to his ring was answered with, :Little is known of the Indigo tribe. They come and go doing as they choose. Each being chosen to be Indigo h8as a power staff instead of a lantern battery, each wears an indigo ring. Each carries symbols of Indigo painted on their bodies and their clothes look like they came out of a dumpster :"

A wordless wave of laughing whispered in Hal’s mind and faded out.

Futures changed and some vanished when Wind Whisper claimed the girl named Ruth. On Earth, more pain existed for some and others found less frustration. Still others found hatred and less understanding, and sadly others were stumbling instead of having a guide, some died and some lived because she didn’t exist on the Earth where and when she’d been born.

Indigo has never accepted anyone as young as the infant who would be known as Ruth. There was confusion and concern when Wind Whisper appeared, the newborn curled, fetal and quietly sucking her thumb inside a protective indigo bubble.

The questions and answers were short, pointed, and silent. The fact that the infant had been born without eyes was not a concern.

When the bubble receded, the child floated serene and waiting. Indigo-1 reached for the child, using yellow lantern’s ability "Fear".

Instead of screaming, crying, or retreating, a perceptible shimmering wave of compassion washed over then around the yellow light. Slowly it faded as the fear was surrounded and dissipated.

When pain appeared, the baby cried slowly and sadly. Large liquid drops of swirling rainbow tears coalesced on her cheeks and rolled down her face yet, the infant reached to surround the hurt with compassion. The missing ingredient was the color that should have accompanied the emotion.

: She cannot be Indigo there is nothing there. : Indigo-1’s voice was gentle in Wind Whisper’s mind.

: What matters the color or lack? She is Indigo proven. :Wind Whisper’s voice was gentle with humor.

: Then instruct her. When she is ready, she will face the tests of Abin Sur :"

Time is a funny thing. Subjectively time on earth runs fast, takes forever, speeds forward or races like frozen molasses - nowhere.

For an eternity of now, members of the Indigo Tribe, even Indigo-1, taught the little one they called Ruth.

Munk taught Ruth to use her skin to "see" pressure waves and learned to interpret what the vibrations "showed" her.

Wind Whisper helped Ruth use her ears with precision to understand even the softest sounds. Black Hand taught her how those sounds could enhance her sight in interpreting what was around her more clearly. Wind Whisper also taught the child how to tune out sounds selectively so they could be eliminated from her attention.

Her teachers also placed pictures in her mind to show her the outward truth of many creatures, races, and places.

She learned so very many skills and disciplines that surely a century passed instead of the fourteen years she lived in the physical world.

At that time, all the teachers agreed Ruth was ready to face the first test of Abin Sur.

She awoke the day of the test, unaware of what was going to happen. She ate with an open and accepting frame of mind, bathed and dressed. Then she waited meditating on "Why is pain necessary?"

Suddenly every sense was lost to her. She strained to hear, to feel to understand what was happening. Nothing! Her heart racing, fear entered her for the first time in her life. Her breath became shallow and fast, making her dizzy.

The fear pushed her panic to greater heights. Her heart was racing so hard that if she could have, she would have realized it was shaking her body. The more she panicked the "blacker" and more silent everything became. There was nothing and nothing made sense. There were no pressure waves to show her where she was. No one was near her for the first time in her life and the terror shredded she calm, almost emotionless state finer than sand.

Fear can only last so long. It either causes physical damage that stops the body, shuts down the mind or the mind begins to reassert itself. Slowly realization calmed her. It was a slap with gallons of cold water striking her brain and she stopped.

Years later, she began to understand that by acting blindly she became truly blind, possibly putting her in grave danger. It was hard not to be angry with herself, but gradually, she relaxed, becoming immersed in the remembered sensation of safety and peace of her everyday life.

Slowly, in direct proportion to her increasing calm and willingness to understand, awareness of her surroundings returned. The entire episode had lasted less than three minutes.

: Good. You have faced the first test of Abin Sur and succeeded : The voice in Ruth’s head was a warm alto, the smile evident in the contact.

: Thank you teacher : Two Flowers. Ruth’s tone was a soft contralto, a wisp of sound still shaky.

Two Flowers walked toward her with extended hands. Like others of hir race, ze was visibly asexual, hir body functionally capable of being female or male as ze desired.

: Come, the celebration will start soon and I desire some Earth Boston Cream delights for sweetness :

Ruth’s face became solemn, her voice serious. : That would be an unfortunate occurrence since you so rarely have your heart’s cravings for sweets fulfilled :

Her voice broke at the end, for Two Flowers was notorious for hir love of sweets and refusal to indulge the desire. It was, for hir a discipline of mind and spirit over animal desire and body.

: Why yes, I should have to settle for the sugar volcano of Merimbe instead, a tragedy of epic proportions indeed :

Laughing they linked arms and walked to a communal area. Other Indigo Tribe people greeted Ruth. Last was Indigo-1.

The mind touching Ruth was cool and impersonal. : You have succeeded in your first test. Your next test will be far more difficult and long lasting. I give you this gift. :

Ruth shivered as something cool invaded her mind and body. She identified the taste as lemon clouds and mint syrup.
She bowed to Indigo-1 and thanked her. : Is it permitted to ask what the gift is? :

: You will learn when it is required to occur. Patience is the Indigo’s friend :

Ruth felt the faintest disapproval color Indigo-1 "voice" whenever she spoke to Ruth. No matter how hard Ruth tried, the tone was there.

: Thank you for the gift and instruction : She bowed in acknowledgment, walking confidently to the low table, and sat. From years of training, her sadness stayed in its cage so no one would feel the need to help her.

She was quiet as Indigo-1's words played over again in her mind. : Your next test will be far more difficult and long lasting :

She couldn’t imagine what might be involved but she knew that Indigo-1 had probably understated the issue, as was her way.

Wind Whisper glided to her and sat with the grace of a leaf falling from a tree.

: You will be equipped for the next tests as you were for this one, little one, don’t fear. If you were not able to succeed, the trial would not occur :

As love surrounded her, Ruth knew Wind Whisper’s statement was true.

Ruth learned so much and so very little in preparing for the next part of her life, she was never quite able to remember who had taught her what piece of information at which time.

When she slept, it all whirled and danced in her brain. Little of it made sense, but she trusted that it was important and she would understand when the time came.

A century later she felt sure she knew all about Earth, it’s people, animals, foods, climates, everything. She just didn’t know why.

That was when her world was thrown into chaos.


Wind Whisper's voice sounded in her mind, this time it was hurried, excited . : It is time little one. You are returning to Earth today :

Ruth stopped abruptly. Her mind spun and whirled like a leaf dancing on the wind. Then her self-discipline to stop and concentrate on trust. Her teachers would never send her to face something she could not handle. She would abide their decisions as she always had, with acceptance.

:Are there things here I should leave or take? :

Wind Whisper's voice moderated, : Come, let us decide :

Dressed in a simple indigo shift, Ruth and Wind Whisper entered the meeting place of the tribe currently on the planet waited.

Indigo-1 placed her hands above Ruth's head, palms down.

: This is the child we accepted. Are all agreed she is prepared to return to her home? :

No being's thoughts dissented.

: Ruth, you will have two faces when you return to Earth. One will hide the other. Ruth you shall still have. If the need comes you will show your world the face of Blindfold.

An image appeared in Ruth's mind. Cloth wrapped around the place where eyes should be. An Indigo power staff was held on her right side with both hands. She wore the shift of indigo and on her arms, legs, and face body paint showed her allegiance to the Indigo Tribe in swirls and symbols only they could understand.

: Your power staff will also wear two faces :

Indigo-1 put the staff in her hand and she held it as the image indicated she should.

: When you are Ruth it will transform from this into this.

The staff twisted and turned, shrinking into a long white cane with a red tip.

: This is your Indigo ring. It will absorb the energy of your staff. It is the means of giving compassion to the universe, no matter the form that compassion should take. It too will only appear when you wear the face of Blindfold. Otherwise, it shall appear thus :

The image of an indigo power ring faded from Ruth's mind, shimmering and becoming an amethyst that encircled her forefinger.

A song of parting, longing, joy and love filled the air and ears.

: It is time :

Ruth and Wind Whisper vanished from Filemu-Loi.

Next, Blindfold: Sight Unseen

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Blindfold.

I'm not familiar with her, or the Indigo tribe, but this looks very interesting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Blindfold

Dear Dorothy,

Thank you for the response, You have no idea how much it means to me.

Honestly, she "feels" like a Marvel character to me. The Indigo tribe are the Lanterns who use compassion to fuel their rings. Bless you for saying something.

As you may be able to tell, I'm very excited to be here and writing.

Again, thank you.

Very interesting

Very interesting story,its cool to see all these different power rings,so far we have green,blue,yellow,orange ,violet,and now indigo. So far the story looks very good I look forward to future chapters.

Blindfold

Dear Drake,

Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it.

I agree that having all of the emotional lanterns is going to be cool. It's one reason I chose Indigo.

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

Very interesting!

I look forward to seeing where you go with this!

Wren

Blindfold Interesting

Dear Wren,

Thank you for your comment, I am happy you did.

Honestly I'm looking forward to finding out where this is going myself.

Thank you again.

Umm, what can I say?

Wow. That was one great start even if it was a bit on the formal and stiff side. Though I could tell that was how the Indigo thing worked from the beginning.

Great start, keep it going.

Maggie

Thank you

Dear Maggie,

Thank you for the insight. I know about the stiff and formal. It just seemed to flow that way. I blame it on Indigo-1.

Now that Wind and Ruth have arrived, things are going to change. I promise.

I did a lot of reading on Blindfold and the emotion spectrum Lanterns. Interest.

Again I appreciate it. I'll work hard to get some twists in the plot.

Thank you

Apologies, I double posted. Sorry :-(

Extremely Interesting

Enemyoffun's picture

Before this I knew nothing about the Indigo Lanterns, now I'm going to have to go to comicvine and check them out. I've been spending my time on one group of Lanterns only---the Red---one day I plan to introduce the CRU to their evil. Until then though, I can look up Indigo to my heart's content.

It feels good knowing that the CRU has a story like this and I wait with anticipation for more :)

EOF

Kudos

The Kudos button automatically went to "Good story" before I could even read the story. Is that weird for me, or is it happening to other people also?

I think that's an effect of

I think that's an effect of it being "New Author" instead of Mary's actual ID. She also can't edit the story. I bet when it's set up as an author for her, the kudos button and the edit pages will happen.
----

Kudos are working!

Kudos are working!

Dear Derry, I hope Maid Joy

Dear Derry,

I hope Maid Joy is right. I'm looking forward to being a full fledged member.

I do hope you enjoyed the story. 8-)

Mary

You have picked well...

I think that this is one of those stories that will do retcon proud. I think that even though Ruth is trained formallyto deal with emotion it seems she has no real training to deal with informal, messy human emotion. I'm looking forward to this.

Your boldness is astounding!

Actually, your boldness is just un-closed. You shift over to strong type in the middle of the second sentence in the piece that uses the purple text and it appears to be carrying over into the rest of the (including comments from there down). A < strong > needs to be either removed or closed with a < /strong >.... or something...

While I followed a lot of comics for years, I had never gotten into the Lantern stuff (or a lot of DC for that matter... mostly just Marvel and the various independents). Now that there are so many of you throwing in Retconned Lantern stories, I'm going to have to see what all the fuss is about...

A couple of questions

According to the Wiki:

"It is later revealed that the indigo rings force their wearers to feel nothing but compassion, blocking out all other emotions, which is how they can channel other emotions without being affected by them"

which was referred from the current 'Green Lantern' #59.

She showed fear during her first test apparently. So how is she going to be able to interact with people in general? It sounds pretty limiting. So will she still be able to have fear? Like all emotions, it has its place to give 'reasonable' caution and caution is just a watered down version of fear really. So does that mean she will have less judicious conduct?

Kim

Blindfold: First Sight

Is Ruth to become the Embodiment of Justice? According to the statues, Blind Justice is a Woman with a blindfold, wearing a gown, carrying a set of scales.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This is an interesting beginning.

Since I know nothing of the Indigo Lanterns, and very little about any of the rainbow of Lanterns, other than green, I've been following the different colored Lanterns developments with a great degree of relish... along with ketchup and mustard! *Giggle*

This looks very different from most of the Ret-Con stories, and it'll be interesting to see where you take it. Great to have you onboard the writers here at Top Shelf... Welcome!

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Gracious!

Great begining. I have no feel for where this story is going but I know that I want to go with it.

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

A Promising Beginning

Drakira's picture

I'm going to have to go look up the indigo lanterns now. Way to pique my curiosity!
This is a good start to this retconn. If I remember my colors right, the only ones we haven't seen are Red, Black, and White.

Drakira

Drakira

Red

Enemyoffun's picture

I have Red but it will be a long time coming. I'm not so sure about the other two, they might be a little hard to do.

Kudos

Kudos

Interesting start...

Not familiar with the Indigo Tribe or the 'minor' members of the Xavier Institute (it seems silly calling females X-Men), I had to look up both. It'll be interesting to see how you combine the psionic abilities of Blindfold with the 'no emotions but compassion' aspect of being an Indigo. Can't find any references to Wind Whisper though, either on Wikipedia or ComicVine...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Excellent beginning!

Please continue Ruth's journey, it is fascinating so far.
Diana