Evanescence 14

Printer-friendly version

Evanescence 14

Chapter 14

I relaxed for a bit while mom was still recovering from everything that happened. I close my eyes and kind of drift and review everything that had happened. The Fae, this Kelpie by the name of Shea had come here apparently after Alecia.

Alecia wasn’t the same person that Joanna had remembered at all and by the will or the grace of THE GODDESS was reborn or recreated into something else than a vampire entirely.

So that leaves an entire host of things that I don’t know. Like things about the fae and things about vampires and then there was Jill. Jill who wasn’t anything that she said that she was and was using government resources to cover up the events tonight.

Jill who was walking into my room.

“Raine, how are you feeling?”

“Confused.”

“Confused, why what do you remember.”

“See that’s the thing Captain; I mean Colonel; I mean…huh, what do I mean Jill?”

She glares at me and looks over at Mom who’s sound asleep right now due to a nice dose of pain meds.

“Look Raine, I’m not sure what you seen tonight but you’ve got to calm down Shaun’s still the same guy that you’ve known all these years it’s just he’s a little different, see there’s things in the world that most people…”

I can’t help but to start to giggle as she’s launching into her spiel about trying to cover for Shaun.

“What’s so funny?”

“I know about Shaun he told me about him and his majik.”

“And that’s supposed to be funny? He’s trusting you to keep his secret safe.”

“I know and I will but Colonel, you sounded like you were winding up to give me a talk about the facts of life.”

Jill’s frowning at me big time. “Raine this is serious stuff, I know you’re punchy from everything but you’ve got to take this deadly seriously. What happened tonight wasn’t some horse just freaking out. Hell I don’t know when or how Shaun got mixed up with this but I need you in his corner.”

I slip out of the bed. And start dressing in the robe they gave me and grab my purse. I look at Jill. “This sounds pretty big why don’t we have a coffee and you can explain to me just what’s going on and why that horse turned into a Jamaican looking guy with an Irish brogue.”

She gives me this nod but I can feel her nerves up on edge from what I just said as well as several static pools of power on her. She’s toting around majik on her person. We quietly stew in our own thoughts until we get to the cafeteria and get two large coffee’s and we head to the back loading dock of the hospital. I did my recovery from the accident here and it’s one of the few places that you can smoke. Normally I don’t smoke but I have in several if not most of my lifetimes. I keep some Benson and Hedges in my purse and sit down on a pile of palates and light one and offer one to Jill who takes one with a thanks she lights hers with a Zippo lighter that has a Navy SEAL insig on it. We both sip our coffee but I look at it as she lights mine for me and notices me staring at it.

There’s a few minutes of just us being quiet and just smoking and drinking our coffee’s together and it’s so odd. All these years later the fact I’m hanging out somewhere smoking with one of the coolest girls in school it’s just weird how things seem to turn. Jill waits a few minutes before taking several deep drags off the smoke and exhales a thick tired cloud of smoke.

“I’m going to tell you things that are top secret, some of these things you might already know but I guarantee there are those that you don’t. It’s going to all lead up to Shaun so just be patient please.

There’s stuff out there Raine, there’s things that go bump in the night and that are from an entirely different world that we know. I’m not sure of all of the real deep histories but it’s like this.

God as we know him wasn’t always top dog. He was the creator of man but humans weren’t the first life on earth. See majik is real and in the ancient past there were many earths each layered over the other and these were linked by natural gateways. These were all these places like Stonehenge and stuff like that. The people that traveled between these worlds were the elder races.

Now this is the stuff we don’t know. See the missing link was majik, when man developed the power to use majik it changed him from Neanderthal to what would be known in the bible. A jump in evolution sparked by majik and likely mankind imitating what we saw of the elder races.

We weren’t with it enough to recognize one creator so we came up with gods and mythos for some of them and others we took on ourselves as being influenced by these Elder races from Other Earths. It’s were most of our legends and stuff comes from. Majik feeds off of psychic forces like faith and belief and these gods and stuff were born I guess because of that.

Now we’re sure there were wars right around this time both in the other earths and in heaven as Lucifer tried to lay waste to everything in his jealous rage of mankind being set above his kind in gods image. This was when Lucifer was cast into hell and the rise of God as a singular deity had begun to spread. And majik began to wane as the church was replacing these older beliefs.

This caused the doors to close between those other earths and weaken and stuff and lots of things were stranded here. Sometimes they’re not so bad, but others bear a long running hate for us and stuff and some are even darker stuff that wants to feed on us.

There’s stuff brought through by cultists and people who can do majik all the time. There’s accidents and stuff get’s through, there’s times of the years when the doors can open a bit and stuff gets through then there’s things that are trying to get through to feed and destroy everything we know so they can either set up shop here or gain enough power from here to do something back where they’re from.

This is why I’m here. I was in the gulf war when we hit a terrorist spider hole only it wasn’t anything we had ever seen. There was old blood everywhere and there were bodies everywhere. The guy we were after was there but he wasn’t alone. There was some guy with him and the next thing I knew all the corpses were getting up and coming after us like in some freaked out horror flick.

Me and another SEAL got out of that area alive and after we made our reports we got taken to a base we had never heard about and after a year of learning the ropes, I got put into the unit.”

I take a drag then a drink of coffee then exhale out the smoke. “So what unit is that now? CIA? NSA?”

“No nothing like that. I’m a part of the American branch of the SDA, The Supernatural Defence Agency.”

“The MIB?”

“No, but yes. We were established to ensure the survival of mankind as a species against supernatural threats after WW2.”

“WW2?”

“Yes Hitler and the Nazis weren’t just trying to wage a war to dominate this world but they were trying to build a supernatural army to wage war on other realms as well by breaking down the closed doors to other earths that should never be opened again.”

“How?”

“The death camps, other things but so many of the mass deaths then were to power dark rituals to summon demons forth and free Lucifer from his place in the pit. They nearly succeeded too. The Aryans thought if they backed Lucifer in his bid for control over everything then they’d be raised to be the new Angels, Lucifer’s chosen people made in the image of the Lightbringer hence the blonde haired and blue eyed bit.”

“But they were stopped.”

“Yes by an alliance of humanity and some of the Elder races that didn’t want to see all of creation unravel itself if Lucifer got free. Since then there’s been a sort of strange semi truce between us and them to deal with threats like that.”

“Why don’t we just take out everything that isn’t human?”

“These elder races can unleash things that most people can’t fathom with majik, control the weather and all sorts of other things. We keep an uneasy truce with them but they are the Elder races and have deep connections. They are deeply imbedded into every culture and we have no idea of just what’s actually out there. So we keep the peace with a balancing act something like a pact between us and them of mutually assured destruction.”

“So what’s keeping them from wiping us out?”

“Technology for some of it but there’s the fact they’re numbers are really low. They can’t breed on this side of the doorways. But the biggest thing is they need us to be a buffer between them and the demons and other nasty critters out there.”

“So why doesn’t everyone know about this, why keep us in the dark?”

“Because people are fucking stupid and they’d start a killing panic and after that went tit for tat the demons and bad asses would chew us up. Then you got the idiots who will throw in with the darkness for whatever reason and basically it becomes the freaking end of days”

“So, what do you do with people like Shaun?”

“We watch them; keep tabs on them if we can. We have to take the ones that are violent or self serving and take them out or lock them up for awhile. Others if we can we recruit them but that’s a harder thing to do sometimes especially with the majik types like your self.”
“So you figured that out huh?”

Jill gives me this look like I’m being stupid. “Yeah, for one you’re setting off one of my toys like crazy and Shaun told you about his powers and stuff.”

“So What now?”

“You want a job?”

I can’t help but laugh. Jill gives me a look like she’s serious.

“Shaun told me that it was you that took out Shea. That wasn’t exactly a small feat of majik in itself Raine. We need people like you. Hell the Earth needs people like you and Shaun. America needs people like you two.”

I laugh again. But shake my head. “I’ll have to think about it. I’m not really big on that whole American pride thing Jill. I have some serious doubts as to If I should get involved with a group of any kind.”

“You might just need our protection Raine. The Morrigan won’t be happy that Shea was taken out. She might demand reparation and The Ash will likely not deal with you to intercede on your behalf.”

“He started it trying to kill us and a friend.”

“Alecia.”

I give her the blank stare.

“Shaun told me, she’s with you.”

“She’s under my protection, she’s a friend.”

“Under your protection? So how’s that going to work? You’re just one witch Raine and there’s problems with her.”

“Jill, there’s very few things that’ll tick me off threatening my friends is right there at the top of my list and being bullied is another. I mean it Alecia’s off limits.”

“Raine…” She exhales slowly. “Fine, I’ll let it be for now, but I can’t keep her off the radar. They’ll feel it out in my report.”

“Mind scanning?”

“Yes, there’s safeguards to keep us honest.”

“Who keeps them honest?”

“To know the in’s and outs of the agency you’d have to join the agency.”

“Like I said I’ll have to think about it.”

I get up and head back inside without her but head to Shaun’s room instead of the one I’m sharing with mom. He’s awake and I look at him sitting with the back of the bed up and the TV changing channels without a remote. I sit down beside him and sigh and lean my head on his shoulder. “I talked with Jill.”

“Oh…Yeah, so how’d that go?”

“Iffy, I learned some things that I never knew before. It’s mostly left me with more questions though. I’m not sure what to think. What do you think?”

“I’m not sure either Raine I’m just not sure about the whole government thing and if this can be trusted. But it’s Jill Y’know.”

“Not really Shaun but I get what you mean. She hinted at threatening Alecia.”

“She asked me about Alecia, but there wasn’t much that I could tell her.”

“So she’s fishing?”

“I don’t know.”

We both kind of sigh and Shaun winches as he wraps an arm around me and we end up watching reruns of Lois and Clark the old Superman show and just kind of snuggle together trying to figure things out.

***
Jill…..

I watch her leave and sigh. I could’ve played hardball but my watch was freaking out on me. It’s a tech-talisman that lets me pick up mana within a hundred yards and measure it. It’s off the scale; We rate mana on a scale, one point for something like tying your shoes, three for a ball of light, fifteen for a bolt of mystical lightning your average Wicca will run about a thirty, a big shot wicca or mage about a hundred the same as a lesser fae, a demon in a skin suit about two hundred…Raine was giving off fifteen hundred tired and beaten and having bested one of the worst bastards out of the fae courts.

Yeah hardball wasn’t going to work. I’m going to need to research her family, get the geeks to check her bloodlines and stuff. I’m going to have to talk to The Three about this, about Raine. She’s hooked into something…I don’t know what, but Shaun’s involved and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let him get in too deep with this girl…

***
Kurt sat smiling as the three girls too turns servicing him as he gripped the emerald it’s light pulsing and filling the room of the crack house. The green in his eyes was slowly getting matched by those in the room, those who turned from the pipes and the methe to a richer, purer deeper high.

He was the Master’s vessel and through him power from them turning their souls their essences over to them. The master giving him a taste of that power from eating the essence of others, the more he converted the more the master’s green flame filled his heart.

Soon, he would be coming soon.

He would gather these wretched and forgotten souls and like he had been saved they would willingly cast themselves on the pyre and the doorway would be opened, soon…soon Asmodeus would return to Earth once more.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jill

its nice to see jill is a good guy, but I hope she has the good judgement to realize Raine is too.
i always love this story. thanks.

I'm liking Jill

or the idea I have of her in my head. I'm glad that you like this story.

Bailey Summers

The history is spiraling for a repeat performance

Both Asmodeus and Evanescence are coming, and it's going to be the clash of homungous proportions.

While Raine said that Jill was maybe fishing, Raine herself was very busy asking pointed questions herself, questions meant to gauge the entire agenda of the SDA, as it is. And while I understand the reason for mind scanning - it both gives the better run of information than possible, by giving the unconciously noted facts; and it allows to check for tampering on the operatives - it is still a serious thing.

The Three... While it's likely not true, could it be some kind of saints or avatars or heralds of the Three-in-One Christian God? Or alternately, the avatars of the Norns - the maidens of Fate, or alternately... You get the idea. I have mentioned before that to operate effectively such an agency needs to have sources of information, and having mystical know-it-alls on paycheck, on beck and call, on friendly terms, or whatever else really helps.

While I like Jill as a character, she isn't, unlike many before, an unaffliated involved. She is firmly on the side of humanity, but who is the arbiter of what measure is a human. SDA may, in the worst possible case, affliate for a while with the Templars. And it's a severe case of bad judgement.

That said, I doubt SDA involves themselves one way or another with the Templars, yet. They wouldn't when they learn of the rabid terrorism, that one I am sure of though.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway you can be so scary

I love, love, love your comments but you my dear are very close to having ESP and getting a job with the SDA. I'm still playing with Raine Joining them or trying to find her own path. She's really leary of anyone who employs mind reading.

I like Jill too and have been thinking the SDA might be a bit like a paranormal version of the Center but much older and not just having to work with other agencies and military groups but agents of the different factions of the Elder races.

Bailey Summers

Frankly Raine is more intriguing as an independent agent

... it would prove a more interesting struggle instead of being put into a government MIB thing as such as she gets to chart her own course which would lead to situations of tension between them and her, and the resolution as such.

Frankly she, as a Power, would not make sense to be merely a foot soldier in an organization that may very well demand a geas as part of the oath of joining. My thought, if she must deal with an organization such as SDA, which is very similar in concept to the Comic Retcon universe's BPRD (sp?) BTW, then she should be known as a mostly friendly agent who may help on a case by case basis as a free agent. Her sheer power will keep them from trusting her fully and her methods may run afoul sometime but that is where the tension comes in.

Now, the issue is then as to how much does the SDA need to know about her? Do they need to know she is Evanescence? And SDA knowing such may leak that? Being open about her being Evanescence before she is at full strength is not good anyway. Speaking of strength, she really needs to learn how to shield as she seems to be leaking her Presence and must be like a beacon to all the supernatural types who can detect such a thing, a presence in the force, if you like, in Star Wars terms.

On the other hand, I am looking forward more towards Raine learning how to wield her power more expertly. You would think with so many lives that at least one or two would have really high skills but *shrug*. If not, why is the Goddess not pushing an instructor her way? As powerful as she is, this chapter implies her power is still being underutilized and when she finally grows into her own and is at full strength, 1500 would be a mere drop in the bucket for her as I suspect she will be when Asmodeus and her finally come to blows.

Kim

Too right

I'm thinking Raine won't be fully able to bring herself to trust the SDA. She will have to find herself a teacher of some sort. She's still really new at this from any perspective so there's going to be a huge learning curve if she get's through all the things going on.

I'm so glad that you're into this story your feedback gives me so many great Ideas.

Thank's Kim.

Bailey Summers

Scary? Moi?

Naaah, if I ever had ESP of some kind I would definitely have been a 'self-serving' type, and a small fry at that. I like living nice and cozy waaaay too much to be that easily accepted in SDA. Besides, I kinda think they'd have trouble getting an offer to me in the middle of Russia. :)

It's just that I really enjoy stories where I can engage in worldbuilding, in guessing the motivations and secrets of characters, and you are one of my several favourite authors here that give me an opportunity to engage my brains. After all, a correctly asked question is half of a new aspect of the world already. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Da Comrade Ve Haff Agents in Our Kiev

Branch of the SDA, zat vill comes to your door to make you an offer;)

But seriously, you really help me design and think so much about the stuff I'm writing that it takes the things that I'm writing to a much better place and makes so much better.

Thanks so much:)
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

The Storm is Coming.

Though most people don't really know that yet. Sides are being taken, lines drawn, alliances forged...

On that note I could see Raine working with the SDA, at least off and on, but never FOR them. She is not what I would consider to be the good foot soldier type and would be a most uncomfortable underling for any government type to deal with given her present power and enormous potential.

This whole Evanescence cyle is like a very big tapestry that you can see different pieces of up close, but have to stand back to appreciate the whole thing. Wow.

Maggie

Thanks Maggie

I'm unsure as to what extent Raine is going to work with anyone other than those she's closest to. I'm really glad that you're and other people are starting to see parts of the bigger picture.

Bailey Summers

It looks like the sides are forming...

I see things starting to come to a head. Will all of your stories be coming together in this, or just some of them? Where is Alecia now? As I understand it, she's not a vampire anymore-does she still have majick? I'm concerned with Jill and the vaguely threatening statement at the end of her part here.
Good story! Once again, pulling me in, and making me feel a part of this world!

Wren

All of the Evanescence stories

will be coming together all ending to finish book 1. Alecia's status and abilities I'll cover her and Jill in other chapters or even a story for Jill.

I'm so glad that you keep getting pulled into the story.
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Awesome!

Wow, finally finished :D How could I ever miss these stories? A trangsgendered hero in a magic world, but the magic isn't used for transformation stuff...
Evil is lurking at every corner...

I have to say, awesome story! I'll check out the other evenescence universe stories next.

Thank you very much for writing this story!

Beyogi