Soldier of Missfortune 5.

Printer-friendly version
Soldier of Missfortune 5
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
BROOKLYN-INDUSTRIES-Lipstick_95DAEEE9.jpg

It took a while to get my mother sorted, she’d fainted fortunately falling onto the sofa before rolling gently on to the carpet, by which time despite the tight skirt on my dress uniform, I’d got across the floor and helped her back onto the couch.

I sent my dad out for water and he came back with a glass which he shakily handed to me . I placed it on the floor and talking to my mum and stroking her hand I brought her round, her eyes flickering before she opened them fully and peered at me. She sipped the water I helped hold for her.

“Sorry if I gave you a bit of a shock, Mum.”

“Is that really you, Alex?” she asked with a quavering voice.

“Yes, Mum, it’s me.”

“What have you done to yourself?” she asked and burst into tears.

I could understand why she was upset–it must have been a shock registering about 9 on the Richter scale–I did look a bit different–I mean my chest now gets to places about two seconds before the rest of me.

I tried to give her a hug, but my dad intervened. “I think you’d better go,” he said and I wanted to cry as well.

“Why? It’s me, Alex–I live here remember?”

“Not any more–and don’t come back here looking like that. I don’t know what you think you’re doing–in my day the army would have kicked you out–not pandered to your perversions. This bloody human rights business has gone stupid.”

“Dad–please...”

“Just go and leave us in peace.”

I started to protest but Colonel Stone grabbed my arm and said, “Come along, Alexandra, I think we’d better go.”

“But I wanted to expl...”

“Maybe another time, your mother doesn’t look up to it today.” With that I was almost dragged outside and back into the car.

“What did you tell them?” I demanded of Stone.

“Just that you were doing a job for us and that your appearance had changed somewhat.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“Montgomery, I happen to be your commanding officer, I don’t set out to upset the families of my men–or women–it affects their morale–which affects their performance.”

I didn’t believe a word of it–the way they responded–especially my dad, it appeared to me that he told them this was all my idea–like I was some sort of gender bender that the army was humouring because of the Strasbourg Court. The look I gave him told him that.

He looked at his watch–“Okay, driver, I spotted a nice looking pub back a couple of miles–let’s go and get something to eat and perhaps a drink for little Lexi here.”

I sulked all the way to the pub. Sitting in a corner, I sipped the glass of wine having downed a brandy before it. The booze went straight to my head and I sat back on the seat–one of those corner unit things they have in pubs–and nodded to sleep. They let me snooze for about twenty minutes–then woke me to have something to eat.

I opted for a jacket potato and while Stone went to order it the woman driver said, “I didn’t realise you were a transsexual–you look pretty real to me.”

“Is that what he told you?”

“Yeah, I wouldn’ta guessed otherwise.”

“I’m not.”

“You’re not a tranny?”

“No.”

“Oh, well that’s alright then, innit?”

“That man is a moron,” I said just before he returned.

After we got back to the base I realised what he’d done and I could have killed him. He was making sure I didn’t leg it. By alienating my parents, it reduced the number of contacts I’d have if I did do a runner. Cunning he might have been–human–I had increasing doubts–the man was a machine.

I sat on my bed wondering how best to try and repair the damage to my relationship with my parents–I doubted that they’d talk with me even on the phone–and they didn’t do email, which was a shame, so it would have to be good ol’ snail mail.

I began writing what was probably the most difficult thing I’d ever written, even tougher than my A-level physics paper.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I don’t know what Colonel Stone told you but it probably wasn’t the truth. I’m not a transvestite or transsexual or any of those gender confused types, I’m still me, your son, Alex. I’m only looking like this temporarily because the army wants me to do a special job for them undercover and I have to pretend to be a woman. They’ve had to give me special training as well, which has been weird but interesting. I suspect I’ll think differently about women in the future.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but all the things they’ve done are supposed to be reversible–least that’s what they told me. I wanted to see you because this job is dangerous and I might not make it back in one piece. I’m sorry that things got misconstrued–I hope we can sort it all out when I get home again.

Your loving son,

Alexander.'

I went to bed and slept badly, seeing my mother collapse again and again and hearing my father order me out of my own home. That was so hurtful. I hoped my short but informative letter would resolve some of the issues.

The next day I put the letter in an envelope and dropped it in the post box at the base–which was a mistake-it was intercepted and what was sent instead was a note from Colonel Stone and a forgery of my letter using my handwriting as a guide to the forgery.

Dear Mr & Mrs Montgomery,

I’m sorry that meeting up with Lexi, as she likes to be called, was rather traumatic, but she insisted she wanted to see you to show you her new lifestyle.

In accordance with the army’s efforts to meet the government standards of equality and diversity, we now accommodate lesbian, homosexual and transgender personnel as much as we can, providing they are able to continue their existing jobs.

Lexi is a very good technician and we very much want to keep her in our employment, and of course are sympathetic to her transition to female, which she has apparently wanted for some years and this has been encouraged by her boyfriend Steve, who is also supportive of her.
I’m sure in the fullness of time, you’ll become accustomed to having a rather attractive daughter, but meanwhile if we can help with any issues arising, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Col. Stone

The army is an equal opportunities employer, regardless of race, religion, gender or sex orientation.'

~~~~~

Dear Mum & Dad,

I’m sorry we didn’t get to talk when I came to see you. What I wanted to say was that I’ve wished I was a girl as long as I can remember. I told this to my C.O. a few months ago and he sent me to see the M.O. and after some checking, they agreed I could start living and dressing as a woman without losing my job–good isn’t it.

So far I’ve had a few bits and bobs done to me, including breast implants and my vocal chords altered–that was really funny at first–I sounded like Minnie Mouse–it’s a bit better now, although I still sound a bit like a little girl rather than a woman.

I have to live for at least a year as a woman before I can have the operation to make me fully the woman I’ve always wanted to be. I hope you’ll understand and perhaps we can resolve our differences before too long.

Your loving daughter,

Lexi.'

~~~~~

Of course I didn’t see either letter but I did see the response from my father which cut me to the quick.

Dear Alexander,

Your mother and I have discussed this matter and have decided we want nothing more to do with you.

Please do not attempt to contact us again, our hearts are broken.

Yours,

Henry and Joyce Montgomery.'

After reading this I felt suicidal. I got totally blasted on cheap wine and wanted to kill myself after killing Stone. I won’t go into detail but he humiliated me by disarming me–I had a kitchen knife–quite easily, then he put me over his knee and spanked me. I vomited all over his carpet–served him right. I was then taken to the guardroom and locked up over night. I felt really ill the next day and they had to cancel my training–I stayed in bed with four hourly checks being made on me–presumably in case I fell off my high heels or onto a sharpened eyebrow pencil.

I spent a lonely night wondering what had been said to my parents that they’d ignore my side of things–I felt totally bereft–the two people I’d have thought would have stuck by me through thick and thin had abandoned me, because I apparently looked like something I’m not. It just wasn’t fair–I was being used and abused and no one loved me any more except that dickhead Blomquist. Despite his wanting to use me as much as the others, I’d have given anything to have felt his arms around me that night.

The next morning, I didn’t feel like getting up but they banged on my door and told me to make myself presentable, wear my uniform and get some breakfast. They didn’t state which uniform, so I opted for the day wear one–shirt, trousers and jacket–apart from the fact that they were all women’s, I should have been wearing those all the time anyway–not bloody high heels and cleavage showing tops.

I went for breakfast and was told I was wearing the wrong uniform–they’d meant my best kit. I wolfed down a cup of coffee and grabbing a bacon roll ran back to my room and quickly changed trying not to get grease from roll over the gabardine cloth.

I presented to the briefing room and realised I’d forgotten my makeup–dashed back to my room again, threw on some slap and scurried to the briefing room once more, quite a feat in a tight skirt.

There was no one there. Maybe I’d got the venue wrong–I went to the office. “Hiya Lexi–he’s waiting for you–and he’s not in a good mood–you’re late by the way, which might have something to do with it.”

I knocked on Stone’s office and was bid enter. I pushed open the door, and Stone was sitting there in uniform, of itself an unusual event, along with another officer, also in uniform. I saluted and stood at attention.

“At ease, Montgomery.” I stood easy, hoping my cap wouldn’t fall off, it felt precarious perched on my tied back hair–okay some of it was wig.

“You sent for me, sir?”

“Yes, an hour ago.”

“I’m sorry, sir, I was waiting at the wrong room.” A part lie but I could live with that.

“What are we going to do with you, Lexi?” He shook his head.

“I don’t know, sir–send me back to my unit?” That was apparently the wrong answer.

“I don’t know if they’d cope with a transsexual colleague–do you?” The look on his face brooked no argument, so I agreed with him, although I wasn’t transsexual and he knew it.

The other bloke, a Major Reynolds, was startled by this revelation.

“But, Colonel, you said you had a woman who could find and reprogram Gemini, Delta and Grapeshot–not a bloke in a dress.” Despite my annoyance at being called transsexual–being described as a bloke in a dress annoyed me even more.

“Permission to speak, sir?” I said to Stone.

“Carry on, Lexi.”

“With due respect to Major Reynolds, I can do the job and I find his remarks insulting.”

“Corporal Montgomery, I don’t give a rat’s arse what you think of my remarks. I was sent here to see a woman perform the tasks we required–and I’ve been handed a bloke in a skirt.”

“Did you realise I wasn’t the real thing until the colonel told you?” I challenged, unconcerned that I was breaching protocols.

“No, that, I’ll give you.”

“I’m pretty sure that if the colonel hadn’t said anything, you’d never have discovered it.”

“Okay, so you fill the uniform pretty well, but the role requires a bit more depth than wearing a skirt and makeup.”

“I think I’m up to your challenge, sir.”

He paused and looked at me. “You can do the technical bits?”

I nodded.

He pondered for a moment. “Dinner tomorrow, at my house. Colonel, if you’d be so good as to bring your wife, and this creature. My wife and daughter will be there–both are very astute–if you can get past them as a woman–I’ll withdraw my criticism. Oh, wear something dressy but not uniform. If you get past this, we’ll arrange a demo of Domino.”

“Right, Lexi, I suggest you go and buy a posh frock and get your hair done or whatever it is that women do before a night out. I’ll pick you up at seven tomorrow night with my wife. Don’t be late then.”

“No, sir.” I saluted them both and left.

I was being challenged and I didn’t like Reynold’s remarks, they stung like barbed wire in my knickers. Damn it, I was going to charm them all, especially his wife and daughter.

I went back to the office. “That was short meeting, Lexi?”

“Yeah–which is the best hair salon, and can they do extensions?”

Hair Today, is probably the best, I’ve got their card here somewhere.” She fumbled in her handbag, drew out her purse and handed me the card. “Want me to ring them?”

“Yes, I need an appointment tomorrow.”

“Whoa, tomorrow–extensions take hours and cost a fortune–it’s alright for a squillionaire like Cheryl Cole, but for us ordinary girls–it had better be something special.”

“Oh it is, I am going to piss off one total prick, something rotten.”

“Sounds good to me, not the old man, is it?”

“Not directly, a Major Reynolds?”

“Oh him–he’s a staff officer–watch it, he’d have you chained to the kitchen sink and having babies if he had his way.”

“Fine, at least I wouldn’t be in fear of my life then would I?”

“Oh c’mon girl, we’re all proud of having a woman technician being trained up for Special Ops.”

“But I’m not, am I?”

Sylvia, the woman to whom I was talking gave me a strange look and then looked at her colleague across the office. “Not what, Lexi?”

I paused–they knew what was going on–they’d seen me changing–hadn’t they? Or had they? It had happened so quickly after I got here. But she was Colonel Stone’s secretary. Surely she would know about my origins? I mean it’s so outlandish it would be all over the base in five minutes–wouldn’t it?

“I’m not Special Ops–I’m on secondment–and besides Reynolds seems intent on blocking my mission.”

“If you’ve been seconded–you're one of us, Lexi. Now about this ‘ere ‘air do...” she called and spoke to someone she obviously knew quite well. “Oh c’mon Shar, it’s doing me a favour as well–you will? You are soooo beautiful–right two, tomorrow–her name, yeah, it’s Lexi Montgomery–I’ll tell her. See ya.”

She put the phone down.

“I dunno what training that they had down for you tomorrow, all we get is training in the diary–it’s all too hush hush for us office wallahs–but I’ll cancel it. You need to be at the salon at two and be prepared for at least two or three hours.”

“You’re joking?”

“I’m not–it takes forever if they do it properly, and Sharon will do it properly–it’ll also cost you about two or three hundred.”

The time and the cost were beyond what I’d imagined–but then I didn’t have much idea of the price of things girly. I did now. I also had to find a nice dress and I at least had some ideas for that.

I took the afternoon off–it was only some computer course anyway–and I could do that again–the advantage of online courses. I caught the bus and wandered round the town centre trying to remember where I’d seen the dress shop, then I spotted it.

I casually entered the shop and began browsing their stock–I saw something in velvet, emerald green with red flecks–it probably sounds revolting–but I already had red shoes–yes, it was so outlandish, it would work assuming it fitted of course.

I tried it on and it fitted in all the right places and showed enough cleavage to be inviting but not overly so. Let’s face it, I had two outstanding features and the mood I was in, no one was safe from my charms. I splashed out the seventy quid for the dress and a shawl thing which matched the red to perfection. Now I had to get a bag and some beads, and some lipstick and nail polish to match. I was on a mission–never mind what they had in mind–I had my own target–Major Dickhead Reynolds.

up
261 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

He May Be An Arsehole

joannebarbarella's picture

But he's as cunning as the proverbial shithouse rat. The colonel now has "Lexi" doing his work for him. She's trying to be a girl!

He has cleverly closed off any access to her parents and she is essentially friendless. Sorry girl, you're history,

Joanne

I mostly agree

I mostly agree with you - that Lexi's being manipulated big time. I just hesitate to use the "she" pronoun - yet. Alexander still thinks HE's a guy inside all this... Though, it certainly sounds like he may not be long for the world (whether Lexi's long for the world will depend on how the mission goes...).

I'm wondering how much control M?. Montgomery will have on events and how much will be spent reacting. So far, we've not seen a whole lot of recognizing the manipulation for what it is... How long will it be before Lexi thinks SHE volunteered for this mission? How long before SHE knows she's a girl with an issue? I wonder whether there will be an Alexander when this is all over or if the Colonel has any intension of putting things back or even cares.

Sounds like a case of shoving a square peg through a round hole - whether the peg wants to go or not... And once through, the peg is now round...

Anne

Very, very cunning

I had the colonel down for presiding over a complete bollix up of a mission as Lexi purposely screws the whole thing up. Didn't the colonel think he might drive our hero/ine to suicide...or at least revenge? Somehow the whole thing has been turned around into proving she can do the job they want her to do in the first place. Now, that's clever!

SuZie

SuZie

Fantastic Story

Enemyoffun's picture

This is a fantastic story though I have to say I wish she had succeeded in stabbing Stone...I'm not a big fan of his. But I guess that's the point. I'm hoping that things get better for her though. :)

EOF

Ah, yes, Military Officers ...

They added the "pièce de ré·sis·tance" to my hate for men. What abominable pricks they were. Of course I was in the Military Police, which seemed to concentrate all the antisocial misfit officers in one place.

I hope that Lexi gets them good.

K

*sighs*

Thank you for grouping ALL officers in the same pile.

I like to think that I wasn't (and still am not) a prick. Oh, I'll not say there weren't officers that were, shall we say not fun to be around, there certainly were and I'm sure there still are. But, to paint all with the same brush. *sighs*

Anne
Former LT, USN

Fallout?

I have high hopes for lexi, and wish stone the best (as "collateral damage")

Too stupid to live

Unfortunately, Alex's level of stupid has exceeded my expectations. I thought she would come to some sort of epiphany after getting drunk and trying to kills Stone. But she just became even more stupid afterwards.

She should have realized she was being monitored after Stone discovered Alison Bright. She should have been on her guard. She should have realized she was a prisoner. None of that happened.

I can't stomach this amount of stupid from a protagonist.

to be fair to him....

He's been through a lot. But I was surprised at his quick turn-around decision to try and "show up" the Major with how passable he is. I could see him reluctantly deciding to do his best on the hope that a successful mission might be his best hope of being restored to his true self, but his enthusiastic approach seemed to come out of nowhere.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Give it a chance Owen

Seriously, the author has written a few (okay, one or two?) brilliant tales (I have read all two of them so I can attest to their incredible brilliance), trust her to have a method to her madness and you may find though Alex is initially a slow learner Alex may provide us with some great entertainment in chapters to come. I have yet to be disappointed in any of this author's works.

Great Story

What a GREAT STORY you have going for somebody who was not sure about continuing with this KUDOS to your fantastic creative mind ---HUGS & KISSES RICHIE2

I like this character.

She's perverse, put upon, and determined to get her own back. Not to mention funny at times.

I do think the Colonel and others are going to suffer one way or another.

Good one, Ang!

Maggie

Pay Day!

When is pay back happening Ang?

I can't wait to see Alexi get her pound of flesh, especially off the officers.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Poor Alex

Despite obvious skills, Alex is proving to be a slow learner.

Stone and Reynolds call the tune, and Alex dances just as they've planned.

Thanks A, for continuing this story. It's difficult to see just how this tale is going to have a desirable conclusion for our protagonist.

Puppet Strings


Bike Resources

Wait a moment!

All Alex has to do is blow this dinner and the mission is off. Why try to prove how good Lexi is? Tell them to get screwed!

Wren

Just a quick statement

After reading some of the other comments, all I can say is that I WILL continue reading this story. It's well written and interesting. Alex may frustrate me, but I'll bet things will be interesting for him/her in the future, and I'm willing to stick around, For others, well, it's their loss.

Wren

Frustrating but Good

terrynaut's picture

I'll keep reading this story. I want to see the major and colonel get what's coming to them! What they did to separate Lexi from his parents was the worst. Grrrrr!

I can't believe Lexi fell for the reverse psychology but I'll cut him some slack. I really like the character.

Thanks and kudos for creating characters that I love and love to hate.

- Terry

Military life

While this story is pretty much unrealistic (at least for us former servicemembers,) it is still a good story that I am enjoying. Both Col Stone and the dickhead Major remind me of some of the officers that in many cases were the superiors of Douglas Reeman protagonists. Col Stone especially looks like he would have been right at home in Wellington's Army. I think many of us Colonials keep forgetting that even in this day and age there are probably still Officers in their Queen's service who are still stuffy Regimental assholes.

I am sure all of us who have served have run across assholes like Stone and Dickhead. Those of us who served need to remember that Alex is a young, inexperienced junior enlisted soldier dealing with "God-like" (at least career-wise) figures. Junior enlisted don't normally have to deal with field-grade and higher officers at such a personal level as Alex is doing now and it can be quite intimidating.

For whoever suggested that Alex should deliberately mess-up the dinner with the Major. I can tell you that would go totally against all of Alex's conditioning as a soldier. I am not at all surprised that Alex would go all out to prove that "she" can pass. If he were to not be able to pass then it is the Major who wins. I know, I have had superiors when I was in the service who belittled me and tried to screw me over and instead I turned it around and screwed them (got one relieved too.)

As others have also stated, I also believe that their is no way that Alex will be able to return to who he was before. S/he is going to have serious mental scarring due to this so I really, really, really want to see Stone (yes, I am probably going to stop referring him by his rank from now on) get what he deserves. Stone is the type of officer that I would have no problem with saluting while out in the field especially on a combat op.

If Lexi could I'd go over Stones head

Renee_Heart2's picture

right to the General. Tell him this had been aginst his/her wishes & what she had recived in the mail what happned at home & the letter she wrote. then get Col Stone who would lie through his teath & get his letter & have him tell Lexi & him what he told her parents then it will head of the fan & Col stone will be Ex Col stone & hopefuly in the brin for 25 years.

I think Lixi can do it I hope things turn around with her family true the army owns you when you sighn on the dotted line but there is a limit what they can do.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Soldier of Missfortune 5

I hope that Alexi gets to REWARD that arsehole for doing what he has done to a soldier. He needs to be courtmartialled for his actions.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

well Alexie is being manulipulated again into exactly what is

wanted to occur. having been on the dark side in the military ... aka spec. ops...let's say it's not as far fetched as sounds.. just in how it's been executed. and with an old guard col. in charge, believe me i'm not surprized lexie isnt doing worse.
lexie tho has tho gained a watchful eye over her even if unintended. those two secretaries may remain mum. but as i've seen in real life..servants are rarely paid attn to by their masters if even acknowleged. I woudlnt be surprized both will have something to say B4 end of story...that least makes and puts lexie in good light.
.
Lexie tho in however she knows about them is making one great decision on getting hair extensions over wigs. that bit of knowlege sure came out of no where for a male to know about.

oh one last thing ???

it's being made out that lexi is a transsexual. umm err unless something in last year has occurred. UK military policy and USA one are still pretty close to simular if not same still. gays and lesbians it's basically a keep yer trap closed and low profile it..a transsexual on the otherhand. would be booted out faster than a speeding bullet w/o even a safety chute..the TS would be lucky if they even got out with a general VS honerable discharge.

OMG... these people seem to

OMG... these people seem to be actively working to get Alex to fail in the mission. Are they terminally stupid? Sheesh! Alex needs some time off and a therapist not some jackhole Col. who is setting fire to his life and a Maj who if anything seems worse. Honestly...

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Good cop, bad cop

Jamie Lee's picture

Doesn't Alexander know mail sent from a post base, by a person such as himself, will be monitored, even sensored?

Hasn't he yet figured out that he is constantly being watched? Or how did Stone know he was trying to suicide and do what he did?

Stone knows Alexander isn't ready for the supposed mission because he still resents everything Stone has done or had done to him. So what better way to get Alexander to cooperate than to have someone else insult him and get Alexander fired up to prove that person wrong?

Stone and Reynolds set that meeting up with the express purpose to make Alexander do what he's now doing. And when Alexander discovers that's what happened Stone is going to regret Shanghiaing Alexander.

Others have feelings too.