A Senior Year to Remember- Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
A Senior Year to Remember. Chapter 1

By Bethany Starr

This is my first story here so please go easy on me. Comments are appreciated and edits/constructive criticism are welcome. This is the first part to a much longer story that I have in mind. I'll try to finish it quickly but I'm a slave to my muse and can only move as fast as she lets me.

Synopsis:When Robert's lying, habitual stealing, and attitude about women gets to be too much for his mother, she comes up with a Plan to help her delinquent son turn around.

[*][*][*]

“Mom! I’m home!” I yelled as I walked into the house.

“Up here!”

I headed up the stairs but stopped when I found my mom inside my room.

“Mom! Why are you going through my stuff?”

“Robert. Would you mind telling me where you got a new iPad from?”

Crap! I knew that I’d really stepped in it this time. Calm down Rob, you’re smart. Think of something.

“It was a gift, from a friend of mine. I didn’t ask him for it, his dad was buying him a new one and he offered to give it to me.”

“Oh and would this be the same friend who gave you the Xbox I found in your closet? Or maybe the one who gave you the laptop under your mattress? I know! It’s the friend who gave you the STACK OF MONEY I FOUND IN YOUR SOCK DRAWER!!!”

Dang! Whenever mom raises her voice you know you’re in trouble. Ok, take a deep breath, let’s tackle the obvious crime first, you’ll work your way through this. Look her in the eyes and relax.

“Mom, it’s not what you think, the money is to start a website. Me and a friend from school are planning on making a website and this is our company pool. The laptop is also his and we’re using it because it’s easier to work on this if we’re using the same machine. The Xbox is a simple explanation, I bought it on eBay.”

“That’s certainly a plausible explanation,” she said somewhat uncertainly.

Whew! Looks like I’m in the clear. “Mom, I’ll be starting my senior year of high school. I’m practically a man. If there’s one thing that Dad has taught me, it’s that a man doesn’t lie and a man takes responsibility for his actions. Besides, I’m the man of the house while Dad’s on business, I think that I’ve earned the right to a little privacy and a little trust. Not that I even have to answer to you, Dad always says the person who wears the pants in the family makes the rules in the family. But since I’m still you’re son, I’ll even give you proof. Here’s my credit card receipt for the eBay purchases and here’s some of the papers me and my friend were working on for the company.” Righteous anger usually has a way of taking the wind out of Mom’s sails. I should be home free.

“I’m glad you’re being so honest about everything. Since you’re being so honest, would you give me your friend’s number? A simple phone call will be enough to put my doubts to rest.”

Dang! I didn’t think she would go that far! Still, smooth and confidant and I’ll be able to get away with this.

“Sure Mom, are you ready?” Ha! She still hadn’t found the cell phone I’d swiped from Jenny Richards the other day. I’d just give her that number. Sometimes my own cleverness amazes me! She dialed the number then smiled at me. That should have tipped me off that something was wrong.

“Robert, I hear a phone ringing somewhere around here, would you mind telling me where that’s coming from?” Mom glared at me as she pulled Jenny’s phone out of her pocket. “After all that talk about being a MAN and taking responsibility like a MAN and you just LIED TO MY FACE! You stay in your room you liar and you will stay here till I come up with a suitable punishment!” With that she stormed out of my room.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve gotten so good at lying, Mom’s always punished lying more severely than any other crimes. I flopped onto my bed as I tried to think of what to do. It killed me but I started crying. Whenever I got in trouble with my mom the tears usually start falling. I love my mom and I know it’s hard for her to deal with raising me and my brother, especially since Dad’s job requires him to travel a lot. Still I was really screwed this time. Lying and stealing means I’m definitely in worse trouble than I’ve ever been. Could I go to jail for this? Oh God, please no. I’m a good student, 3.8 GPA but that won’t matter inside prison. I’ve always been a good thief too, I can pick a lock just as easily as I can con you into opening the lock for me. Again that won’t help me too much in prison. See the problem is that I’m on the skinnier side. I’m 5’8 (and that’s generous) and I only crossed 110 lbs this summer. I’ve always been weaker than the other guys and that’s something that haunts me, I don’t want a repeat of the Call of Duty incident from last summer.

I looked up as Mom walked back into the room. “Get up!”

I stood up, I can’t recall the last time Mom was this mad. My mom doesn’t show her anger by being loud; Mom’s anger is very soft and deadly. There’s a certain gleam in her eyes that you don’t want to mess with. So I quickly stood up.

“Here’s what’s going to happen: 1. You are going to return everything you stole along with an apology. 2. Once everything is returned, you are grounded for the rest of the summer. If I ever catch you stealing again, we’re going straight to the police. Understand?”

Phew! Sure returning the stuff is going to suck and my rep is going to take a serious hit once school starts but at least I’m not going to jail or anything.

Well as the days started to drag on I began to discover just how wrong I was. Don’t get me wrong, I always was more of a stay-at-home guy but this was ridiculous. I was in a restless mood as I checked my Facebook for the billionth time today. Hello, a new message. Looks like a few guys found out about this shady strip club that doesn’t actually ID people. In typical high school fashion, this bit of information spread quickly and a bunch of guys were planning on taking a trip there this evening. Mom usually goes to bed early and I should be able to slip out of the house and be back before she wakes up the next morning. I don’t usually go in for that kind of thing but I was restless and what harm could it do? Besides this will provide business to those sluts in the club and a bit of enjoyment for some fine men who deserve it.

Nighttime couldn’t arrive soon enough. As soon as I heard Mom walk into her room, I quietly got dressed and slipped out of the house. It’s not easy to do because while Mom does go to bed early, she tends to be a light sleeper, especially when Dad’s not home. Still I’d slipped out of the house so often that it came as second nature now. Once I was outside I headed toward this kid Kyle’s house. He lived about 10 minutes from my house and a bunch of the guys were meeting there to carpool over to the club. His parents were out of town, making his house the ideal meeting place.

The car stopped and we all got out and headed for the doors of the club. This was what I wanted: a little excitement, an adrenaline rush, and a chance to bag a bitch! I started to walk over to the club when, all of a sudden, someone grabbed my shoulder. I turned around and, to my horror, it was my mom!

“Get in the car, young man, we’ll talk about it when we get home. As for the rest of you,” she said raising her voice, “Unless you want me to call your parents, you better go home as well.”

I was silent the rest of the way home. I wasn’t sure what Mom was going to do. I had almost made it to the end of summer without getting into too much trouble and now I had been busted twice in one month! If only I hadn’t gone out, I could have waited two weeks and been back in school and punishment free. I can only imagine what would happen to me now.

“Robert I don’t need to tell you how much trouble you’re in. If you don’t go to bed and stay in your room till I call you, you won’t be able to imagine what kind of punishment I’ll give you. If you’re not in that room when I come to get you, you’ll wish I had sent you to prison, you unobedient, sly, CRIMINAL!”

I trudged upstairs, trying to keep my composure but failing pretty badly. I got inside just as the tears were about to fall. I want to say that I fell asleep easily but the truth is that I tossed and turned. I was really scared and really nervous about what my mom would do to me. Don’t get me wrong, mom would never do anything to hurt me, she really loves me. But she takes breaking the rules and disrespecting women very seriously and I’d singlehandedly managed to do both in one action. Somehow I finally fell asleep.
The next morning I woke up and began cleaning up my room. Yes I’m a bit of a slob. Ok, I’m good at organizing everything except my room. There might be stuff everywhere but I can always find what I’m looking for. The cleanliness of my room was one of the things that my mom and I disagreed on and it always annoyed her that my room was so messy. I thought that maybe if I cleaned it up, it’d make a good impression and I’d get off lightly.

“Bob, come here!”

All right here we go. Maybe just maybe I’d be able to talk my way out of this one. I walked into our living room and sat down. My brother had gone to play basketball at the gym so it was just me and my mom.

“Robert, I don’t want you to say anything. I heard you sneak out of the house and followed you and your friends. After we came back I thought long and hard about what to do. I raised you better than this. The person who you’ve become is not who I know you really are. I know that you’re better than this.”

“Mom, I…”

“Don’t say anything Robert, let me finish. At first I was just going to punish you for going to the strip club. But then I realized that your problem runs deeper. You’re disrespectful to women all the time, you steal things without remorse, and it seems that you can’t be in a social setting without causing some kind of trouble. You lie routinely just to get what you want. I struggled to try to come up with a punishment that would punish all of those crimes. So I called your school and arranged a punishment with them. Starting this year, you’ll be attending school as a girl. That means that you’ll carry the responsibilities of an average teenage girl as well. Just remember that if you defy me, you’re secret will get out. If you don’t attend school, you can instead go to prison. You’ve lost my trust Robert. This is your last chance to earn it back.”

I sat there in stunned silence. “But why mom?”

“If you have to go through what a girl goes through then you’ll learn to be respectful of women. If you have to start your social life again, maybe you won’t make the same mistakes. And maybe hanging around girls instead of those chauvinistic males you’ve been hanging around with lately will improve you overall.”

Dang! I really was screwed this time. Whatever happens this promises to be a senior year that I wish I could, but probably never will, forget.

up
250 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good begining

nice beginning.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Great start

I can't wait to read more.

Hi

WOW LOL!I can't wait to read more.This is going to be great!I just wish my mother would have done this to me when I was younger!

It Sounds Like Robert Needs To Learn A Lot

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg It sounds like Robert needs to learn a lot. I can't blame his mother for reaching her wits end with him. He definitely has some serious problems.If he was younger, I can see his mother blistering his behind for all the stuff he is into, but being older, she has to resort to desperate measures. He is really lucky he isn't in Juvy for what he's done. I am looking forward to reading the rest of this story and seeing how well the new girl adjusts. Great start!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Nice start!

Jen -- With Bob (soon to be Roberta or Bobbie?) entering senior year, there'd be a good possibility he wouldn't be in Juvenile prison but facing adult time.

I agree... his chauvanism, arrogance and testosterone poisoning was his undoing. Good luck to Mom!

I agree with jen robert has

nikkiparksy's picture

I agree with jen robert has a lot too learn and looking forward too reading how robert's mother bring's about her soon too be daughter's clothing and lifestyle change ,nice start.
Thank you for a good read:).

Welcome

RAMI

Dear Bethany

Welcome to BCTS. Your story is well written. I do not think you will get much criticism regarding your writing style.

The story flowed smothly and the build up to mom's decision, and how she knew how to deal with Bob's actions, was convincing.

Of course , this being BCTS, I guess that the punishment was fore ordained.

The only questions in the plot deal with the missing brother, but more importantly the missing dad.
Is mom fully in charge? Is dad never around? Did she discuss the punishment with him? Bob, thinks he in can get away with what he does because, like dad, he wears pants. Perhaps, either Mom letting Bob know that Dad agrees with the punishment, or better yet, dad making an appearance, and indicating that he supports mom and doing so in a significant way, would make Bob know that the punishment is real.

RAMI

RAMI

Thank You!

Thank You for your sweet comment!
You're right, I tried to involve the other members of this family into this first part but somehow it didn't fit the flow of the story. We'll get to explore Bob's Dad and Brother more as the story progresses.

A Senior Year to Remember. Chapter 1

I am impressed! You have started on a story that has many a possibilities. I hope that you take the time to flesh out your story. I am sur that there are many an author/authoress here that will help you if you ask.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Is he going to be attending

Is he going to be attending the same school he has been in these many years? He may wind up with more problems than what he has with his Mother, his school and associates. Also, how are the girls going to react to the fact that his punishment is to dress, act, and live as they do routinely? They just might all balk at a "mere boy" being made to "to be a girl", as that does seem to give the impression that whoever decided the punishment does not have a lot of respect for girls or women in general.

An interesting start to your story, which I might add is written very well and does pull the reader into it.

You Bring up some Valid points

You do bring up some valid points and I actually have been thinking about those problems. Hopefully I manage to come to a solution that makes sense! Thanks for the input!

Crash course

"If you defy me, your secret will get out."

That indicates that the majority of the school population will be unaware that the 'new girl' is Robert, so it would be logical for his 'new' name to be something other than a derivative of Robert / Roberta. Having said that, I doubt even with the best will in the world, his mannerisms and attitude would be completely female within the next two weeks, so it would be logical for the school to adopt a cover story of a new TG girl.

Needless to say, acting feminine is probably less than half the punishment. The greater part will be that for fairly obvious reasons, he won't be able to hang out with his old friends, and will instead have to hang out with the girls, whom he'd previously derided.

-oOo-

Now, onto technicalities. That's a pretty solid opening, clearly laying out the scenario for future chapters. It's got a clear structure, is almost error-free on the spelling / grammar front, and is clearly laid out (paragraph + line break; new speaker, new line etc.). Keep up the good work :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

This could be an interesting story-

Judging from the start.

He is a smart alec and his Mother is spot on.
I think a litle less testostrone, and a bit more estrogen may be in order?

Good luck with it Bethany.
LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita