The Secret Garden - Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version
”Cherry
 

The Secret Garden

Chapter 18: Supper

by D.L.

Copyright  © 2011 D.L. All Rights Reserved.

Inspired by the classic children’s tale by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

 

After being dismissed by Lord Headley, both children curtseyed and left the room. Rosie asked her friend if she had had anything to eat, and on finding that she wasn’t able to obtain a meal, they decided to take a detour via the kitchen. As they approached, they could hear voices talking.

“The way he stood up to Horatio was amazing. He kicked the sword out of the way and landed a blow on his back in one swift graceful move. It was like watching a swan,” Gwen said. “And have you seen the footprint on the wall in the dining room? It is nearly waist high. According to Parker, he bounced off the wall and kicked Horatio between the shoulders.”

“He is quick, and very fit. Remember the trouble I had getting him from the station. He ran all the way here and we weren’t taking things that slowly,” Mrs Medlock stated. “That child is a mystery. That voice! When he shouted I thought it was the late Mrs Headley, he sounds just like her.”

“I wonder if he can sing?” the cook mused. “Mrs Headley had such a lovely voice.”

“Twinkle, twinkle, little star, how I wonder what you are! Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky!” The sweet melody caught the three adults by surprise and they looked to the open door, where Rosie stood singing. Hattie was standing beside her friend trying to stifle a giggle at the adults’ reaction.

“I can sing, but don’t do so very often,” Rosie stated. “Although now I have broken my self-imposed silence, I may well sing more often. I apologise for interrupting your conversation.”

“To what do we owe this visit?” Mrs Medlock asked.

“I was wondering if there were any leftovers from dinner this evening. I was going to try to smuggle some food to Hattie, but never had the opportunity. Having been nearly starved for so long, she is terribly thin and I think it important that she has at least a small meal before going to sleep,” Rosie stated, holding onto Hattie, who was trying to shrink away in embarrassment.

“Do I take it you have been sharing the portions I have been sending up to you?” The cook enquired and the two children nodded. “Well from now on I’m sending two portions. Hattie, you look even thinner than Mrs Medlock described. I’m sure we can find you something. Why don’t you both come and sit with us at the table and I’ll see what I can do.”

Hattie was standing in the doorway, wrapped in the soft gown fetched to cover her modesty. The cook, Hilda, was a kindly woman. She was short and plump, obviously enjoying her food and most likely tasting large quantities while preparing it. The two children nervously took seats at the large kitchen table that the other staff were sitting round.

The butler, Parker, came in and looked on in surprise at the two guests to the servants’ area. He then told Mrs Medlock that the master wanted to see her, and she bid her farewell as she dashed off upstairs. Parker then disappeared off again, leaving the children alone with Gwen and the cook.

Hilda disappeared into another room, and returned a minute later with a large sandwich made from slices of beef, tomatoes and lettuce. Setting the plate down in front of Hattie, she then fetched two mugs of steaming cocoa and a plate of biscuits. The adults had been sitting drinking beverages.

Hattie thanked the cook and began to eat the food provided. Rosie took a biscuit, and watched Hattie as she satisfied her hunger. They all sat in silence, unsure of what to say to each other. The staff were used to remaining silent in the company of their superiors. It was very unusual to have such people in the back rooms. Rosie, having been silent for so long, was still not used to talking, having only socialised with Hattie.

Once Hattie had finished her meal, she decided to start a conversation. She did not consider herself to be of a different social class to the people around her. She also could be considered lower class due to her upbringing, although she was now being regarded as higher class due to her association with Rosie.

“Gwen, are you still scared of going upstairs now that you know the reason for most of the noises?” Hattie asked.

Gwen looked on puzzled for a few moments, and then responded, “You’re the ghost?”

Hattie nodded and they talked for the next ten minutes relating incidents from both points of view. Hattie sharing some of her narrow escapes, and revealing some of the tactics she used to scare Gwen. Hattie apologised to Gwen for scaring her, explaining she was bored and needed some amusement to stop her going mad. Gwen was slightly annoyed, but took it in good humour, thankful that there wasn’t a real ghost stalking her.

Mrs Medlock returned to the room as the children finish their drinks.

“I’m glad you are all still here, I have instructions from Lord Headley,” she stated. “It is obvious that Hattie and Richard are sharing quarters, and given that Richard has severe nightmares when sleeping alone, they are being allowed to continue to share the bed for the time being. I know that this is not a normal arrangement and this isn’t to be spoken about with anybody who doesn’t already know. Discretion is as always, an important commodity for continued employment.”

The staff members present nodded and Mrs Medlock then continued to say, “I have been asked to see to the children personally from now on. It is getting late. Hattie, Richard, I will escort you up to your room with a candle.”

The housekeeper led the children through the dark house and up to the top floor. Lighting the gas lamps in the main room, the servant bid farewell to the young girls, and left them to settle for the night. After making use of the bathroom, the girls headed to bed, slipping between the sheets and spooning each other as they fell to sleep.

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A wonderful treat

this story has been, I am glad that you have continued to write and post it here for us to read and enjoy

Jayme Ann
The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The Secret Garden - Chapter 18

Well, no need to ca on MYSTERY INC. now. :)

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The calm *after* the storm :)

That is, of course, unless Horatio attempts something else stupid. I was about to say it's a shame he's upper class, otherwise he could have been sentenced to Transportation - but apparently we stopped sending convicts to Australia in 1868. Still, there was a gold rush for the island by then...

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Depends on your definition of Australia :)

By one definition, Australia (continent) comprises the Australian mainland and proximate islands including Tasmania, New Guinea, the Aru Islands and Raja Ampat Islands. By another, it's just the mainland (excluding Tasmania). By another, it's part of the continent of Oceania. However, geologists don't like the latter as New Zealand is on a separate continental plate.

Oh, and one for the trivia quiz: according to some definitions, New Zealand is part of the continent / submerged continent / microcontinent of Zealandia, 93% of which is below water. The Kerguelen Plateau may also count as another.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Real Trash

RAMI

My understanding was that most of the convicts sent to Australia were primarily those who would have been sentenced to debtors prison or petty criminals, stealing food and the like to survive. Today at least here in the U.S we have Social Services/Welfare and bankruptcy for the like.

Real trash, like Horatio, should be sent to prison. Even though he is the older son, he is likely to spend some time in the family or local regiment.

Instead of being condesending to Wogs, he will likley be gighting them. Perhaps he will get bogged down fight the Taliban's great great great grandfathers.

Hopefully Gunga Din won't have any water for him.

RAMI

RAMI

Australia

joannebarbarella's picture

Australia is a continent that is surrounded by water, doh! Tasmania is on the same continental shelf as the mainland and so is considered by geographers to be an integral part of the continent. There is a difference of opinion amongst geographers as to whether the island of New Guinea forms part of Australia, since the flora and fauna (with some exceptions)are largely different and it lies on a different plate although that is contiguous with the Australian plate (which is pushing underneath it).

New Zealand is geographically separate, having its very own oceanic ridge (just ask the Kiwis. they'll tell you!) and descriptions like Oceania and Australasia are merely labels of convenience and sometimes of politics used to cover large sections of the Southern Hemisphere that are mostly water but have these inconvenient islands that don't fall into any recognisable category.

Northerners also nearly always forget the other island continent, Antarctica.

The other thing you Antipodeans (well, that's what you are to us) conveniently forget....on both sides of the Atlantic....is that far more convicts were transported to the American Colonies than ever came to us. Come the American revolution the Brits were scratching their heads as to where they could send those terrible criminals, and the Americans were scratching theirs wondering where they were going to get their cheap labour,

Joanne

Thank you Joanne,

ALISON
G'day mate,
'being a good old Aussie I am with you.We are not only a continent but the oldest one in existence
as Australia has been above water,geologically speaking,for longer than any other continent.
Besides that,it is a wonderfully diverse place and a lovely place to live and enjoy except ,of course,
for our politicians who are as stupid as what all other countries have to put up with.

ALISON

Other

than the obnoxious offspring looks like things are shaping up nicely!