Home of the Brave

Printer-friendly version

Home of the Brave

For 'Drea, just cause.

She finished the story, and turned off the computer with a sigh. It had been a good story, having some of her favorite elements. Her favorite stories were about girls who even though they had been forced to begin life as boys, had taken the steps needed to live as their true selves.

“She was so brave....” she sighed to herself, thinking again of the heroine of the story she’d just finished. “..She had to overcome so much, and yet she didn’t let that stop her.”

“Not like me. I … I can’t.” She wept, as the realization she would never take such a journey herself.

“Because of …. her.” She picked up a small frame that sat beside her computer. In its frame was the picture of a small girl, smiling at the camera.

“I’d lose you. Your mother would … I just can’t” She cried again.

After a few minutes crying, she powered up the computer again.

“Maybe I can lose myself in another story. Its gotta be better than just sitting here crying.”

A few minutes waiting for the computer to decide to work, and she was back on her favorite site. She lucked out, and found that one of her favorite authors had published another story, this one a funny collection of lines from famous movies and books, giving them a transgender twist. She laughed out loud, left a comment, and then closed the computer again.

“Its time to pick up my girl, anyway.” She thought, and reluctantly put on the male mask that allowed her to see her daughter.

Later, as the small child laid upside down on the couch telling her about the day at school, she smiled, and thought, “Not being able to tell you the truth hurts, but having you in my life is worth it.”

Later, when she had dropped off the little girl at her mothers, she thought, “I .. I have to hold on, and with God’s help, I know I can.”

Then she thought, maybe there is more than one kind of courage. Those people who decided to transition were brave, without any doubt, but perhaps she had her own kind. The ability to surrender her own dreams for her daughter’s sake, to endure the day-to-day without giving up, maybe that a form of bravery too.

“And maybe someday … things will change, for the better.” She thought, and went to bed, and was able to sleep peacefully, for once.

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another reminder of how life goes.....

Andrea Lena's picture

...it is what it is. Courage is acting in the face of fear or threat or even disappointment. Thanks for this reminder. Blessings!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you, 'Drea

for the inspiration for this little piece.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Ah Yes, I Remember It Well

Twenty years of need in conflict with Duty; his needs in conflict with mine. And then it changed. He was off to college and we both began a transition. Here we are fifteen years later and I am worried about an appropriate Father-of-the-Groom Dress. It can and often does get a whole lot better.

Great job of capturing the experience.

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

thank you, Joani

I'm glad you liked it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Hero/Heroine

RAMI

Being their for his daughter and putting the love for the child ahead of his own makes her a hero and heroine both at the same time. That is a characteristic that I am sure this character shares with many of peple on this site, including I beleive the person to whom it is dedicated.

RAMI

RAMI

thank you, Rami

Yes, I think we have some real hero(ine)s on this site.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Wasted days and wasted

Wasted days and wasted nights. It was my experience, and has been the experience of my friends who transitioned rather than die, that sooner or later one hits "the wall" and it's either do or die. The only one I know who is "living for the kids" swings between depression and suicide and the swings are getting shorter day by day.

CaroL

CaroL

I understand what you're saying Carol

But if I lost my kid, I dont know if being Dorothy full time would be worth it. My life would be pretty short without her, I fear.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

This One Hits Home

joannebarbarella's picture

Giving hostages to fortune is one of the rewards for trying to pretend you are someone you are not, and suddenly it's too hard and hurtful to be who you really are.

Two sides of the same coin. Cowardice when you are young and courage to deal with your mistakes when you are older,

Joanne

thanks, Joanne

It takes a lot more courage when you are older, trust me.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Powerful piece

'nuf said.

Bravo.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

thanks, John

thank you so much for the comment.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Home of the Brave

Very thought provoking.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Found this going through your

Found this going through your other works. *hugs*


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Thanks, John

nice to see a comment on an old story, thanks very much.

DogSig.png

Some of the

very best stories are the very short ones.

Thank you.

T