Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1382

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1382
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?” I asked Jenny.

“Yeah, course I am, the girls an’ Danny’ll help me sort out the littlies.”

“Okay,” I turned to leave with Julie who had managed to persuade me to let her dye my hair auburn and add two extensions to the plaits she’d given me. It looked as if I had hair right down to my bum–which is much longer than the just below shoulder length it is naturally. “You’ve got my mobile number, if you need me.”

“I won’t, Tom and Simon are about somewhere–we’ll manage between us.”

“Well don’t let them get away with doing nothing, because they will if they can.”

“Don’t worry–now go; you’ll be late.”

We waved and drove off towards the school hall–this was the full dress rehearsal, today and tomorrow plus checking the lighting and acoustics. I’ve spoken in the hall before but that was with a microphone–now we’d just have to project–okay, I’m a teacher, so I can project my voice, but in a soft Scottish accent–I suppose I’ll just have to see.

Jenny wanted to see the play, and we’d got her tickets for Friday night–it had been extended to Saturday because of demand–it was pretty well a sell out when they heard Matt was doing it, since they heard Iain was replacing him, we even had several serious critics demanding tickets as well as the clamour of new customers.

Julie and I arrived at the school having hardly swapped a word, she was worrying about her limited hairdressing skills and I was worrying about everything, not least fluffing my lines or generally screwing up. I know professionals do, so what chance an amateur like me? We entered the hall and I needed to rush to the loo–although I’d only had a slice of toast and a cuppa.

“Okay?” Iain met me returning from the loo.

“Yeah, just a bit of nerves.”

“Look, young lady, I’ve heard increasingly about your exploits–you’re a regular wonder woman–compared to what you’ve done, this should be a doddle. Remember it’s only a rehearsal–you’re allowed to make mistakes–and some more tomorrow–it’s not until Monday we go live.”

“Oh don’t remind me,” I shot back into the loos and this time ejected my breakfast. I tried to calm myself by remembering Yul Brynner was sick practically every time he appeared on stage–I’ll rephrase that–he was sick before he went on stage, not actually on stage–oh look out here I go again.

“Mummy, are you in there?” Julie was calling through the door, I was kneeling in front of the toilet pan having been calling huey for the last minute or two. My eyes were running and my mouth tasted foul.

“I’ll be out in a moment,” I said back using some toilet paper to wipe my face. I stood on wobbly legs and managed to open the cubicle door.

“You alright?” she asked.

“I think so, why?”

“You look awful.”

“Thanks, you sure know how to make someone feel better,” I gently rebuffed her.

“Sorry, but you do–d’you want some water?”

“Please,” I took the bottle she offered me.

I took her arm and we walked out to the hall and sat quietly in the chairs of the front row. The day after tomorrow, these same chairs will be occupied by the bums of schoolgirls as they have assembly.

I gazed up on to the stage, the scenery was really clever and the lighting made it look quite realistic. We had a proper scenery painter with us and he was showing the girls who were helping him how to do it properly.

The blasted heath looked quite eerie and with the carbon dioxide machine it produced swirls of mist which swirled across the stage. The fire and cauldron of the witches looked quite menacing–although it was all electric flames flickering in small bulbs on the sides of the cauldron, with a red flickering one underneath.

The three girls who were the witches used latex masks which were truly horrible to look at and they all cackled like stereotypical witches.

“Feel better?” asked a male voice.

“Yes thank you.”

“Good–it’s all part of the theatre experience–just think, on Monday you’ll be flying on the buzz you get from the live audience–real adrenalin trip.”

“Thanks, Gordon, that just what I needed to hear.”

He laughed, “You’ll be okay–just remember what it was like that day when it all clicked into place–remember how powerful you felt–wowing an audience? That’s what it’s all about–never mind the high art, leave that to critics–just land the thing and walk away safely–that’s all you have to do.”

I liked his landing an aircraft analogy, yes, I’d walk away from this head held high and probably fall over the first thing I encountered because I didn’t see it.

“Right people,” called Gordon, “We start in three minutes, cast on stage or the wings, stage crew, lighting to your positions if you please.”

“C’mon, Mummy, break a leg,” Julie helped me up.

“I feel as if I’ve broken them already as well as swallowed cyanide.”

“C’mon drama queen,” she teased.

“Hark who’s talking,” I riposted.

In the wings, or actually, a small room behind the stage, my makeup was done by another professional and it was far thicker than anything I’d have done-I looked gross in the mirror, but I expected from the floor, I’d look as I was supposed to. Looking in the mirror, only a lack of false eyelashes prevented me looking like drag queen–it was ’orrible.

Everything went quiet and we knew the rehearsal had begun.

Julie became my dresser as well as hairdresser, I had two changes, the normal robes of a twelfth century noblewoman and the nightclothes for the sleepwalking scene.

Somehow, we all got through it and felt emboldened by the experience–or at least I did, however, I was still very pleased to remove the costume and the stage makeup and get back into my normal clothing and persona.

“You did alright, darling,” said Gordon, winking at me, “a couple of things to work on, but we’ll do that tomorrow.”

I was exhausted and Julie looked quite tired too. “I think I’m looking forward to a nice soak in the bath with a glass of decent wine,” I suggested.

“Hmm, that sounds rather nice, Mummy, I might try it too–just make sure you don’t get your plaits wet.”

“Oh bugger, can’t you undo them?”

“Course–they looked really good and the others were muttering how authentic they made you look.”

“I hope that doesn’t mean I looked ancient?” I accused, pretending to be terribly hurt.

“No, of course not, Mummy, people thought you were my sister.”

“What you, Cinderella, me ugly sister?” I teased again.

“Don’t be silly,” she smirked, “You’re nearly as beautiful as me.”

“Ha, that’s some recommendation–talk about back handed compliment.”

Julie just sat there laughing.

“Self approbation is no recommendation.” I quoted one of my mother’s sayings.

“Huh, if you gorrit, flaunt it,” she said and laughed loudly again.

We got home and after making a fuss of everyone, I’d just run my bath and taken the wine up to drink while soaking and the phone rang. I sipped the wine and ignored the ringing.

I’d literally just sat in the warm water and swooshed it up over my shoulders before lying back in the bath, when the door was knocked. “Babes?”

“Oh Si, I’m trying to have a quick bath–I told you.” I’d actually asked him to keep the children from disturbing me for half an hour–then I’d cook us all a decent meal.

“Yeah I know, Babes, but this is kind of important.”

I felt like screaming–what could be so important? I refrained, however, and he came in. “It’s Stella.”

“What about her?” I asked although I had a horrible feeling I knew the answer already.

“She’s gone into labour and she’s asking for you.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
215 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1382

Love the banter between Cathy and Julie. Does Cathy have an understudy?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Back

to reality.
Drama not on the stage

Never rains,

but it pours in that household.

If Stella's labour lasts more than 24 hours, (my wife's first labour lasted 57 hours before they decided on a ceasarrian section,)then Cathy might miss the second rehearsal.

Stell was always good at the drama stuff herself.

Pr-stage nerves, well one way or another they affect us all at some pastime or another.

Enjoying this Angie.

Ta.

XZXX.

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Kewl

Wonder what Cathy is going to do or say when she learns it is not a wash out color, but her real color now. Bet she looks great as a red head.

Most definitely a palm on face moment

... Cathy is gonna be exhausted taking care of Stella.

But I know Cathy will wow 'em.

Great story Ang.

Kim

She would...

Stella would... Pick an inconvenient time to go into labor, that is... She DID pick it, didn't she?

So, Cathy just gets to clean off - leave the wine behind, and take off to help Stella have another kid. Lucky, Cathy.

Wonder what Stella'll make of Cathy's Uber Long amber tresses... LOL When she notices, that is. "Who do you have doing your hair! It's dreadful!" Or the opposite. Or some such.

Thanks for a wonderful episode, and the hint of things to come. Wait - if Cathy gets no sleep tonight, with the birthing and all... She'll be all but DEAD at the 2nd full dress "tomorrow"... Ho boy...

Wait, wonder what Stella'll have to say about Iain... Wonder why Garth's not there... Or, is he...

Thanks,
Anne

Hard to say, often second births are quicker

I forget how long Mom took with my older sister Ann - I wasn't around at the time -- but I took well under three hours not counting some minor symptoms a few hours earlier mom ignored. If you want a quick and easy NATURAL -- OUCH! - birth, almost delived by an intern in a sport jacket, watch Jack Paar.

But then Jimmy, my aunt's second child, took something like 36 hours of diffcult labor and almost killed her. This was after two full term stillborns -- Rh incompatibility with her first husband -- and having her first child, a daughter with her second. Mind you she had another daughter, Karen, with ease a few years later. Mind you he was 12 pounds. And skinny as a rail to this day! I was only 8 pounds something.

So each pregnancy is different.

Sounds like you are having fun, Ang . Loved the interaction between Julie and Cathy. Perfect!

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Poor Stella

I wish that she could have a modicum of happiness. Inshallah, after she is done with the preggers, she will be a bit more stable. My heart aches for her.

Many blessings

Gwendolyn

Interestingly...

Cathy was also required during the birth of Stella's first child, Puddin' (Desirée Catherine Cameron) in 558 / 20th Feb 2009. Whereupon she first discovered blue light healing. So no surprises as to who inspired Puddin's middle name :) I wonder what Puddin' Mk. II will be named...

Recap time:

That was certainly a fractious time: a couple of weeks previously (533 / 26th Jan 2009) there'd been Mima's custody hearing, during which Trish rushed into chambers and had a chat with the Judge and Tom collapsed with a heart attack. Trish is enrolled in St. Mary's and tries to convince Tom she needs a job to help pay the fees, they go sledging and don't save a boy who crashed into a tree, they go for a walk by the river and save Lady Ellen Townsend, and Cathy has to face up to the inevitable media circus and be covertly whisked to BBC Southampton to do an interview (555 / 17th Feb 2009).

Cathy goes shopping for Trish's school uniform, then gets back to find Stella in a pool of blood, looking as though she's miscarried. Almost as soon as she's called an ambulance, the hospital phone to say Henry's been admitted after being involved in a car crash on the M27. So for one day, Stella, Puddin', Henry and Tom are all in hospital! Meanwhile, after discharging Tom, Cathy nips back into the hospital to take a photo of Puddin', but when the photo's uploaded, she notices something strange... the baby appears to be surrounded by blue light! Return visits confirm Cathy as the source, and Trish happens to notice that a nurse has had an appendectomy, so may also have the gift...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What it is to be needed

Maybe Stella is worried that Cathy's help will be needed at the birth.... Trouble is as Cathy might soon find out, Burning the candle at both ends can lead to you getting burnt !!

Kirri