The Angry Mermaid 32 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 32

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

In which Drustina finds herself in the thick of a battle.

The Angry Mermaid 32

Or

Y Morforwyn Dicllon 32.

Mabina. The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin the twins grandfather.
Giana The twins grandmother
Caderyn The twins father.
Herenoie The twins wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe The twins oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara The twins second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun. Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin. Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by Aiofe, Drustan and Mabina.)
Penderol Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris Young Dumnonii warrior.
Dryslwyn High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony.
Bronlwyn Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab The moor who taught numbers.
Eric Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton. Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia Arton’s wife.
Isobel. Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus King of the Capetani.
Shaleen Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan. The scullery maid.
Isaar. Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega. Tyrant King to the west.
Portua. Portega’s grandson.
Jubail. Old Fisherman.
Mutas Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia King of Malta.
Alviar Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa King Astos’s male partner.

A commotion disturbed Drustina, Astos and his boyfriend early the following morning. There was a heavy bump against the royal barge and Drustina followed Astos on to the deck clad only their flimsy night attire. Drustina immediately recognised Arina and her beloved ship Angry Mermaid.

"What’s all the disturbance about?” Astos demanded.

“It’s the river,” Arina declared. “There’s quite a strong current running through the bridge and I don’t have the manpower or sweepsmen to navigate through the draw-bridge. We’re going to have to sail it so I want Drustina to resume command for the passing though the bridge. It’s a bit risky with only me and a couple of Navigation apprentices.”

Drustina listened to Arina and studied the flow sucking and gurgling between the numerous arches of the bridge. ‘The girl was right,’ she concluded and she told Astos the situation.

“I’m afraid if we are to bring the Angry Mermaid above the bridge my husband, then I had best help Arina with the navigation. It’s going to take skilled hands and good seamanship to make it safely.”

Astos frowned. He had hoped to lead the procession through the bridge with Drustina sat beside him on the consort’s throne, thus making a huge spectacle of their formal arrival in Memphis. If his wife had recourse to resume command of her beloved ship it would detract somewhat from the pomp of the occasion. Already a fleet of his cousin’s river craft had arranged to join with the royal progress above the bridge and then escort the king’s procession up to the royal Palace on the banks of the river in the centre of the city. Reluctantly he acceded to Drustina’s pleas and motioned the crew to prepare for the transit of the bridge. Drustina gave her apologies and rejoined Arina on the Mermaid.

Arina explained the situation and described the abilities of the two apprentices.

“They’re willing lads but they’ve only ever worked the ship in the broad open waterway. This bridge is tricky. We’re going to have to gather some speed to make it through the drawbridge and maintain steerage against the current. They should have made the draw-bridge opening much wider.”

“The bridge would be too long and too heavy to operate then.” Drustina observed and Arina felt forced to agree. It was going to be a tricky bit of navigation with some nifty seamanship.

Drustina looked up at Astos on the deck of the huge royal barge as the sweepsmen made ready with their oars.

“What’s the order of procession dear lover?” She asked.

Astos grinned and explained.

“It will not do for the queen to follow any but the king. You will follow me through the bridge then the rest of the herd can follow as per rank and status. All the rest is prearranged. My Chamberlain is explaining to the captain of the fleet. The only change is that the Mermaid now comes second.”

Drustina nodded and blew Astos a kiss as she, Arina and the two young apprentice boys took the Mermaid to wait mid stream. Drustina turned to watch the royal barge manoeuvre to the centre of the stream and line up for the bridge transit. She waved at Astos sat proud but lonely on the throne. He waved back as the barge accelerated towards the cut and the bridge rose. She turned to Arina as they prepared their pre-arranged approach.

The light northerly wind would assist them as they passed southwards up the river and through the bridge so they took the Mermaid to the far bank and put her on a fairly broad reach to gather as much speed as they could. Like the faithful steed she was, Mermaid sprang to her task and within a few short lengths they were speeding towards the bridge after the royal barge had passed through it. Arina stood ready with the apprentices at the sheets to trim the sails as they made the cut. Drustina was judging her approach carefully and smiled at Arina as they closed the gap. Then, to everybody’s astonishment, the bridge started to lower.
Arina shrieked her warning even as Drustina had to swing sharp to port and abort her approach.

“What the bloody hell are the fools about?” The older apprentice cursed as he stared stunned at the closing bridge.

Drustina just gaped in shock. Another few ship-lengths at that speed and the Mermaid would have collided with the bridge and in all probability, lost her mast. Her heart was pounding with tension and all of them had gone white-faced with shock. She bellowed a curse at the bridge operatives and took the Mermaid close to where the royal barge had been tied up. Her plan was to find out what the hell the bridge operators were about. Then Arina and she spotted a platoon of troops approaching and the girls shared suspicious glances.

“What do they want?” Arina asked.

“I don’t know ... they don’t look friendly.”

“But they’re Astos’s soldiers.”

“If they are, they’re wearing different coloured tunics. Theirs are green. Astos’s royal guard is blue.”

“It must be the local regiment. Hail them lad.” Drustina instructed one of the apprentice lads who had a powerful voice.

He bellowed across the narrowing gap and the platoon commander instructed them to land on the jetty. The lad turned to Drustina wonderingly.

“Why do they want us to land? We are supposed to follow the barge.”

Drustina turned to look over her shoulder and spotted mayhem developing below the bridge. The royal procession was a shambles as barges aborted their prearranged order of procession and the king’s guard boats fretted impotently awaiting the bridge to open.
Drustina called to the platoon commander on the jetty.

“Open the bloody bridge! What fool closed it?”

“The mechanism has jammed!” The platoon leader shouted back.

“Well why did they lower it and how did they lower it? The bridge was supposed to remain raised up until the whole procession has passed!”

The platoon commander shrugged and Drustina smelt a rat. Without even warning her crew she swung the Mermaid about and steered for the senior guard ship. As she approached, the guard captain called to her for from his lofty position he could see over the bridge to the upper reaches towards Memphis.

“Are you alright my lady?”

“Yes Captain, they say the bridge is broken.”

“Broken my arse. They lowered it deliberately. Did you not see the operators lowering it normally?”

“No Captain. We were too low and too close. Have you spoken to the bridge?”

“No, there are local soldiers occupying it.”

“What!!” Drustina shrieked. “But you are supposed to be guarding the king at all times.”

“Nobody knows that better than me your majesty. They have laid a trap. Already I see two of the governor’s fighting ships approaching from Memphis.

Drustina cursed. The rat was beginning to stink and she became more and more certain some sort of trap was being set. She expressed her opinions to the captain who nodded vigorous agreement.

“Dammit, how are we to get to the king in time. We will have to take the bridge first and then repair it because they’re bound to sabotage it.”

Drustina peered fearfully between the arches and watched the royal barge holding its position as the sweepsmen halved their numbers to join with the meagre Praetorian Guard and protect the king. Astos had already realised that evil was afoot for he stood with sword in hand and his beloved boyfriend beside him preparing to sell their lives dearly. The remaining half of the sweepsmen held the barge’s position in mid stream out of bowshot range from the banks. She cursed as the captain screamed at his men to drive the barge under the next tiny arch. Drustina cursed.

“You’ll never get under there Captain! Your ship is far too large.”

“I know my lady, my plan is to jam my ship between the pillars of the arch and then land my men ashore. If we can take the bridge quickly then there’s hope. The second guard ship can perhaps rescue the king.”

“There’s no time Captain. Lend me thirty of your best men each with sword and bow.”

“What d’you intend to do?”

“I think I might be able to make it through one of the arches on the far bank. The wind was strongest there and the current weakest.

Drustina heard Arina gasp and then giggle nervously.

“That’ll be a first woman. I suppose you’ll want me and the boys to drop the mast then raise it again?”

“You’ve got it girl. Do the apprentice boys know how it’s done?”

“Aye. While you were away with your fancy king, I’ve been busy teaching the boys.”

“Aye well it was all in the line of duty albeit a pleasant duty. Get to the bolts and ready the mast for a quick drop and re-erection.”

Arina was all efficiency as Drustina thumped the Mermaid alongside the barge and the captain accompanied his chosen men as they leapt skilfully into the Mermaid.

“Should you not be with your ship Captain?” Drustina asked.

“My duty is to protect the king. The lieutenants can attack the bridge. Can you get this craft through the arches? What about the mast?”

“Take any men you have that know seamanship and Arina will explain.”

The captain ordered four men to assist Arina and then Arina released the apprentices to attend the sheets. The remaining soldiers followed the apprentice’s instructions and, as the sails filled with wind, the Mermaid took the bone between her teeth. Drustina turned grim-faced to the captain.

“We’ll only get one chance at this. Once the soldiers on the bridge realise our intentions they’ll post bowmen all along the parapets. It’ll be like attacking a fortified city.”

“You’ve voiced my very thoughts my lady. I hope the Lioness of Carthage still has her skills.”

“My bow and my sword still serve Captain; let the gods be with us, get ready. Have your men stand wide at the rails for that mast is going to come down quickly and go up quickly.”

Even as she spoke, she swung the tiller and the Mermaid swept in a tight arc as Drustina noted the mast forestay slacken in preparation.

Drustina knew she didn’t have to shout ‘get ready’ for every man and woman on the ship knew what was about. As the mermaid hurtled towards the arch the sail seemed to fill Drustina’s vision. She cursed as the mast started to lower and the baggy sail started to completely block her view. Then to her relief she heard Arina’s high-pitched girlish voice shriek instructions.

“Port five!”

Drustina felt a wave of relief, she had not foreseen the sail blinding her view but the ever alert Arina had. It spoke volumes for Arina’s competence and confidence that she has seen fit to call out the correction right at the critical moment. Then the mast was low enough for Drustina to see again and to her immense satisfaction, the apprentices had quickly spotted that there was still some wind to be used by the sail. They had all the redundant soldiers duck their heads while they made their helpers pull on the lower sheets. The sail tightened ever so slightly but enough to ensure the mermaid got through. It now all depended on Drustina’s steersmanship. She felt a fear gnawing at the pit of her belly as the Mermaid hurtled relentlessly towards the narrow gap. The captain let out an oath and Drustan smiled at the sight of his white knuckles gripping the rail beside her. Then they saw a sickening sight as bowmen appeared on the bridge parapets above. Not many but enough to cause mayhem. The captain spotted them first and he bellowed to his men.

“Form a turtle. Six men to me, protect the tiller.”

The orders were short and precise, it was obvious that these guardsmen were both sailors and soldiers and Drustina sagged with relief as she felt the seven shields cover her, for the Captain had joined his men to form an umbrella of shields over her head. Not a moment later the first salvo of arrows crashed into the shields and gave loud clangs as they bounced off harmlessly. The same salvo set up a rattle of death the length of the Mermaid as arrows thumped into the woodwork and clashed against metal shields. A moment later the Mermaid was under the arch and the soldiers skilfully twisted their shields around as the captain bellowed his order.

“Cover the crew’s backs while they hoist the mast!”

Drustina smiled to herself. ‘One hoisted sails and raised masts!’ But she forgave the captain his small error. Everybody had understood his intent and Drustina smiled as she heard Arina’s sweet soprano voice calling instructions from under the turtle-shell of shields. As they shot out from under the arch, there was another rattle of arrows bouncing harmlessly off metal shields and then the mast was up again and the sail filling with wind. The Mermaid had done it! She gathered speed and distance to put her safely out of bowshot from the bridge. Tears of relief filled Drustina’s eyes as the captain let out a whoosh of relieved breath.

“My God your majesty. That was as close as I’d ever wish to come to death!”

“So say we all captain. Check your men for injuries. I see my first mate and her apprentices are safe and I thank you for your care of them.”

“We’re not finished yet my lady. Our task is just begun, look there are two of those blasted fighting ships.”

“Aye. Well you’ve seen what my beloved Mermaid can do. You have yet to see what skills my first mate has when it comes to inter-ship fighting. You’ll yet have the day to thank her for her skills.”

“Indeed my lady and in a girl so young. That is a remarkable combination to find in a seasoned veteran.”

“Well. Enough of compliments Captain, what are your soldier’s best skills to tackle this situation that approaches.”

“We have practiced many times for just such an eventuality my lady. The guards on the royal barge will know exactly what we do and they will prepare accordingly. I have thirty one bows and swords to fight this battle. Not many but they are bloody good men. Just note how well they formed two turtles, one around you and one around Arina. These men know their job my lady.”

Drustina nodded with satisfaction. The ‘turtles had been an excellent defence and not one man had received any wounds whilst her poor Mermaid looked like a porcupine.

As she watched the approaching fighting ships, Arina arrived aft. Drustina welcomed her with informal friendliness as the relief coursed through her veins.

“What ho Arry?”

“They’re good lads Dru. The two apprentices hardly had to explain anything. It all went like clockwork.”

The captain smiled at the informality between the girls. His sergeant noticed it as well but the captain whispered assurance.

“These two have been through many adventures together sergeant; they are entitled to be familiar with each other. Let us just be thankful that they have enabled us to help our king. Now. Lets pluck all these arrows from the woodwork; they’ll make useful ammunition for our own use.”

Having been given a useful task to occupy his men the sergeant turned to employ the men. Some had already anticipated the idea and the sergeant went forward to chat to the apprentices. At the stern, the captain chatted with Drustina and Arina. To the captain’s surprise and delight, Drustina explained her thoughts. Arina and he were to organise the main fighting while Drustina informed him she actually had her battle bow secreted aboard the Mermaid and she would act as long range artillery. He grinned with satisfaction as she went forward and rummaged around in the tiny cuddy. The sergeant’s eyes widened with satisfaction as she produced her now famous battle bow and waved it at the captain in the stern. The sergeant remarked with evident satisfaction for the sight of the famous bow had immediately raised moral amongst the men who knew the difficulties facing them.

“My God your Majesty, if I’d known that was lying under there, I’d have borrowed it myself. I’m presuming you’re intending to use that.”

“I am indeed sergeant. I will be here right alongside you while the captain and Arina run the ship from aft. Once we engage, my functions as a commander are redundant; Arina has all the necessary skills to aid and abet the Captain-of-the-guard’s plan.”

“Well I’m honoured my lady, to have fought alongside the Lioness of Carthage will be something I can tell my grandchildren ... if I survive;” he finished thoughtfully.

“Indeed if any of us survive sergeant, now to task sir; that barge is almost in range of my bow and the river is flat as glass. They will be easy shots.”

The sergeant measured the distance with a practiced eye and frowned thoughtfully.

“Can you really hit from this range?”

“Enough to frighten them. The arrow will get amongst them and probably kill, but we need to be another couple of hundred cubits nearer to be accurate and pick my targets. Watch.”

All the soldiers watched with interest as Drustina poised gracefully in the bow and released her first arrow. It sailed high in the air and landed, as she had predicted amongst the higher ranks gathered on the raised afterdeck of the barge. A man staggered and a circle of fear immediately opened up around him, the soldiers on the Mermaid immediately cheered. It was first blood to them. Drustina turned to the soldiers and frowned. She sensed that a couple of hundred years of peace in Egypt had bred a whole nation of peaceable individuals.

‘Not cowards,’ Drustina knew, ‘but men unused to the shock, horror and sheer bloody terror of battle.’

‘If they thought it was going to be easy, they were in for a cruel shock,’ she reflected sadly.

Few of the men had even realised the range that Drustina had chosen was almost impossible for their short counter bows. Her Welsh bow’s longer draw and longer arrows gave the Mermaid a virtual ‘long range artillery. Only the older sergeant had realised that Drustina’s bow gave them a limited advantage until her ammunition ran out and they were forced to engage at closer range for the Eastern counter bows to have effect. He spoke softly to Drustina so his men would not pick up on his real fears.

“Might I suggest you wait my lady until you can make your shots really count?”

“My thoughts entirely sergeant; Arina knows what to do and she will be explaining the tactics to the captain. She will race up the river as he comes down then she will turn about smartly and we will sail parallel to the lead barge and just out of range of their arrows whilst Arina measures her speed to avoid lateral displacement of my arrows. Then you shall see accuracy.”

“Who do you shoot for first?” The sergeant asked.

“Who is the highest rank? You understand their badges.” Drustina replied.

The sergeant smiled thoughtfully and explained how to identify the officers. Drustina nodded her head and explained how she chose her targets by rank and location.

“You’ll note sergeant; they often put an officer at the bow to lead the boarding parties. Once the captain or commander is dead or disabled they have to re-arrange their command structure and this leaves their vessel temporarily disadvantaged. That is when Arina turns in, reduces the range and your men have a shot at them before we close. In a few minutes, just watch, that first barge will be at sixes and sevens. Now might I suggest you remove your own badges of rank?”

The sergeant hesitated.

“But how will my men know me.”

Drustina grinned. “Sergeant, every man here knows you well enough to recognise you and your orders. Now just look aft; the captain is removing his fancy paraphernalia so he is not a prime target, you do the same and you’ll better survive this day. Once we get in close, have every other man form that turtle thing with their shields whilst the man beside him fires his bow.”

“It will lessen our fire power.” The sergeant cautioned.

“Yes indeed sergeant, but with each pass we prolong our chances of survival. Each fighting man on that ship has to protect his sweepsmen and that’ll be preoccupying them as well. Look how the captain and the corporal are shielding Arina. She will be the prime target for their bows once we are in range.”

“Shall I protect you my lady?”

“Thank you sergeant, I was hoping you’d offer your services. My long shield is beneath our feet in the little cuddy. Perhaps if you can fetch it please? We are getting close enough for me to do some real damage. Oh ... you will also find a biggish bundle of longer arrows with rags tied to the tips. They are fire arrows and there’s a little bag with some flint and yellow fire rock.”

The sergeant went into the little cuddy and rummaged around until he found all the things Drustina had described and he returned as Drustina was about to open their account. He watched with admiration as Drustina released her first telling shot and the highest ranking officer fell with an arrow in his shoulder. He let out a howl and the cluster of officers around him immediately scattered. They did not want to be next and a tight group made an easier target. The sergeant recognised an accurate bowman when he saw one and slipped amongst the men to raise moral.

Drustina’s next arrow took out the drummer who led the rhythm for the sweeps and her third catapulted the boarding officer over the side with its force. He had been perched recklessly on the rail waiting for his chance of glory to be first to board the royal barge.

Drustina turned to the sergeant as he returned from passing a quiet message of encouragement to his small band of soldiers. He had missed the drummer’s demise but just caught the sight of the bowman tumbling overboard. All three had been wearing fancy uniforms with badges of rank. It was a salutary lesson to the sergeant, the captain and the corporal. The sergeant smiled as he watched the remaining officers frantically shedding their paraphernalia and the ship remained leaderless for long moments while Drustina picked off two more high rankers as they struggled and stood immobilised while they unbuckled their fancy cuirasses. The sergeant hugged himself with joy as he watched the poop and prow become void of officers as they sought shelter from the deadly onslaught. He turned and smiled at Drustina.

“At this rate my lady, we’ll have no need to fight.”

“That’s my wish sergeant. Remember we have the second vessel yet to tackle and she has already learned the lessons of displaying rank in battle.”

The sergeant watched as the second vessel hove to whilst the officers made themselves anonymous but this too had a detrimental effect for now the numerous crew had to double check every time an order was given to ensure that it was a rightful order. The second ship’s rigid discipline now began to work against it. Men were doubly slow to respond until they were sure of the order’s source.

The second ship’s hesitation gave the Mermaid’s crew a chance to make a final pass at close range. They fired their pitifully small salvo of a dozen arrows or so then Arina took the Mermaid out of range again. Drustina had managed to ignite a ‘fire arrow’ behind the sergeant’s guard and she fired it at the man at the helm. This man could not hide for he had to man the tiller and nobody had thought to offer him protection as Arina was covered by the captain and the corporal aboard the Mermaid. Drustina’s flaming arrow struck him in the arm and pinned his arm to the tiller. He screamed in pain and cried for help but nobody was prepared to risk Drustina’s deadly bow. His struggle with the tiller caused the barge to swing sideways across the current but there was nobody sure enough of their authority to give orders to the sweepsmen and chaos soon ensued. The men on the Mermaid watched fascinated as the mighty Nile took hold and swept the barge towards the stone pillars of the bridge. In a minute the barge was slammed sideways across two pillars and pinned there by the Nile’s force. Already the flames had caught hold and the crew would be preoccupied with extinguishing them. Drustina fired a couple more ‘fire-arrows’ at critical spots on the trapped barge then Arina took the Mermaid back to assist the royal barge.

“One down, one to go comrade,” Drustina smiled at the grinning sergeant.

“My God lady, you are a cunning warrior!”

“Let’s be thinking about this second ship sergeant. They’ll not fall for our subterfuges. Look they have posted a guard around the tiller and the drummer and they are sluicing down the woodwork to wet the timbers.”

The sergeant’s smile faded.

“We have a fight my lady.” He observed ruefully.

“Yes but we have an ally now. Look the royal barge has decided to assist us because the king is now at less risk, how many men has it got?”

“Ah! I completely forgot about her! She has about a hundred sweepsmen and fifty men at arms. That mean’s his cousin’s ship still outnumbers us there must be nearly two hundred men on that barge if we count all the sweepsmen.

“Yes,” Drustina conceded, “but we outnumber them with ships, our two to their one.”

Drustina called aft to the captain but it was obvious that he and Arina had already realised the benefits of joining with the giant royal barge. Arina had already set course to meet her as she sped clumsily across the river. When they came within earshot Astos was overcome with relief and joy to see his beloved Queen in full fighting form and also his most loyal captain proving his courage and ingenuity. They exchanged plans and materials such as cooking oil from the royal galley in exchange for the arrows. The royal barge had plenty of cooking oil and silk while the Mermaid had a surfeit of arrows sticking in her hull and woodwork. After sorting the ammunition out, a pincer move was swiftly arranged. The barge would move slowly upstream while the Mermaid would act like a terrier snapping at the attacker’s heels.

Drustina cautioned the royal barge to ditch all the remaining fancy silks and brocades as they were a fire hazard; then, on second thoughts she had a better idea. They would make splendid firebrands when wrapped around arrows to return the fire that the attacking barge was obviously preparing. As she suggested the ploy to Astos he immediately had his guards preparing the ammunition using cooking oil from the galley. Soon the attacking galley approached to within range of Drustina’s bow and she let fly with fire arrows even before the barge could fire back. Arina and the Mermaid’s men looked on with contentment as Drustina’s stream of arrows landed haphazardly amongst the attackers. They watched with evident satisfaction as the oil burned with a thick, black cloud and soon the second barge was partially blinded by its own smoke. Drustina smiled knowingly at the sergeant as Arina took the Mermaid into the smoke to hide her close approach. She spoke to the sergeant softly for they were now within earshot of the warship and yet still invisible in the smoke. She could tell by the coughing that things were goin awry aboard the enemy barge but when they closed it would still be a vicious fight.

“Tell your men to fire salvos blind at first then when we can see them, they choose their targets and fire at will. That is when we are at most risk for be assured Sergeant the enemy will respond very quickly.”

Even as she spoke the Mermaid’s crew heard shouts from somewhere in the smoke. They were screams of anger and rage that told Drustina that the royal barge must have opened up from the windward side. They could even hear the royal arrows thunking into the attacker’s woodwork and clanging off the enemy’s turtle. Still they could not see or be seen inside the smoke screen emitting from the enemy. The smoke was now causing the men on the Mermaid to choke and Drustina realised they were in danger of incapacitating themselves. They could not hide much longer. The men were struggling to stifle their coughs.
She whispered to the sergeant.

“Have all your men fire of two salvoes blind, never mind the turtle, we cannot be seen.”

Recognising the ploy, and keen to give his men a sense of action the sergeant tapped his shield twice with his sword. Drustina smiled at the effective signal and her smile widened when a heavier more sonorous clank came back from aft. The captain had confirmed the order by tapping his heavier bronze shield and immediately the first salvo whooshed away blindly into the source of the smoke. The crunch of arrows thumping into wooden rails and the occasional shout told everybody that the Mermaid’s men had scored a hit. The second salvo immediately followed with the same result. The sergeant smiled and turned but Drustina was nowhere to be seen, she had dashed aft to speak to the captain and Arina.

“I’ve an idea.” She coughed.

“Quickly girl,” the captain choked back, these fumes are choking us.

“Take the Mermaid out of the smoke and upriver of the barge. Then turn short about and bring her to bear on the barge’s after oars as fast as she can go. The impact will smash some oars then we turn our bow into her side and let the river swing us around and carry us clear.

“We won’t have the force to break many oars Dru. Our ship is small and light.” Arina cautioned.

“I know, but if we just break a few it will make their ship that much harder to control. Have six of your best archers join me and the sergeant in the bow and six with shields to protect us.”

“D’you intend to board?” The captain frowned. “Six is not enough.”

“No, but we can set up a constant barrage of fire arrows from the bow as we approach. Also by attacking from their stern we force the traitors to turn sideways to face us while exposing their flanks to the royal barge. We split their forces and that gives the Royal barge numerical superiority as they close with that treacherous cousin. That’s the advantage of having two ships to their one.”

The captain nodded then despatched his corporal to join with Drustina and the sergeant. The corporal tapped chosen men on the shoulder as they picked their way forward. Six bowmen and seven shield-men followed Drustina to the bow. The remaining men formed three secure turtles ready to do as ordered as Arina and the two apprentices brought the Mermaid short around and out of the smoke. For short while she was within range of the traitor’s arrows and Mermaid suffered her first casualties as the crew repositioned themselves and briefly exposed themselves to the warship’s bombardment of arrows. The new man guarding Drustina caught an arrow in his thigh and one of the men protecting the apprentice also got hit fatally. The captain turned ruefully to Arina as he ordered another man from the after turtle.

“They are aiming to disable us.”

“Exactly,” Arina agreed. “They know where our weak points are.”

With visibility returned Drustina looked aft and confirmed everything was under control. Arina nodded and the captain raised his sword to demonstrate that his troop were still operational except for the two casualties. Moral was still high though and this was demonstrated by the wounded man still attempting to protect Arina with his shield even though his comrade stood beside him. Arina set her course and the Mermaid skittered away up stream. Once out of range the crew of the Mermaid busied themselves with saturating the sails and woodworks to withstand the certain onslaught of fire arrows.

Once far enough, Arina turned the ship around and a combination of the Nile’s flow coupled with the broad reach sent the Mermaid streaking back into the fray.

The rapid approach of the Mermaid towards their stern left the traitors in doubt as to the Mermaid’s intentions. A pair of knowing eyes peered uncertainly from their turtle surrounding their helmsman as he studied the Mermaid’s approach. It was King Astos’s treacherous cousin who now realised he was in a real fight. He screamed at a detachment of his men to overwhelm the Mermaid with fire arrows but the Mermaid’s narrow profile and high approach speed coupled with her saturated condition made her a difficult foe to hurt. Drustina had already loosed a couple of her own fire arrows at extreme range and this had served to unsettle the traitors. However the rapid approach speed soon closed the range and the traitor’s ship was soon able to open her account in earnest. As the distance closed, Arina adjusted her course to bring the Mermaid onto the right approach bearing and the bow archers loosed a ferocious salvo of fire arrows to suppress the traitors as the Mermaid prepared for the hit.

Safe behind her turtle of shields, Arina got her approach just about right. The stout oak stem of the Mermaid slammed into the port bank of sweeps and a cruel splintering sound coupled with the screams of the injured sweepsmen added yet brutal melody to the desperate concerto of battle. As the Mermaid’s speed bore her in towards the warship’s rail, the six bowmen in the bow lowered their bows and took up their own shields as all twelve prepared to repel any boarders with their swords. The twelve soldiers plus Drustina and the sergeant would now face the full onslaught of the treacherous warship while Arina worked to free the ship from the tangle of shattered oars.

The men shielding the apprentices handling the sails and sheets had their work cut out protecting the young apprentice lads as they slaved feverishly to reset the sails and pull the Mermaid backwards out of the jam of broken oars trapping her bow. Arrows rained down on the group and several men fell cursing as arrows found tiny chinks in the ‘turtle’ shell. Meanwhile at the stern of the warship where the Mermaid’s bow rested hard against the stern rail of the bigger ship, the defenders on the warship had realised that they outnumbered the fourteen warriors poised ready to prevent anybody boarding. The remaining group of men gathered aft in the Mermaid’s belly realised their arrows would yet help their comrades facing Armageddon up front. They quickly arranged for four men to reform a tiny turtle while the other four desperately fired ordinary arrows into the flank of the traitors while the Royal barge was frantically hammering at the main body of traitors on the other side of the warship. Astos’s cousin’s rage was so incandescent that he and a large coterie of followers flung themselves desperately at Drustina’s tiny band. Standing at the very tip of the bow alongside the sergeant with their swords in hand, Drustina and her comrade in arms found themselves to be fighting at the apex of a wedge formed by the Mermaid’s high boy. Highly visible, they became the main target of the cousin’s rage. Two swords rang out furiously as maid and sergeant fought ferociously to parry the assault. On either side the remaining dozen soldiers fought either with swords or short bows to stop the pair being flanked. The traitors however could not fire arrows inwards into the closely fought fight for fear of hitting their own comrades. The tumult increased until suddenly there was a rending crack as the Mermaid lurched free of the snare of broken oars. Wind and river currents pulled the smaller boat away. Unfortunately the lurch caused both sergeant and maid to lose their footing on the narrow foredeck and both tumbled headlong into the sucking waters of the Nile. As the sergeant fell forwards his guard was opened and he felt the vicious slice of a sword cut deep into his shoulder. He let out a howl of despair before the water swallowed him up. A victorious cheer erupted from the traitor’s ranks as the fighting pair were seen to plunge beneath the muddy waters. A groan of despair rolled out of the ranks of the Mermaid’s crew.

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Angry Mermaid

One of the best stories I have read for a long time!