Sarah Carerra - 2.45 - Bad News

Printer-friendly version
sc2.jpg Friday morning proved to be as horrible as I was afraid it would be. My name and face were plastered all over the entertainment sections of most of the newspapers that Dad had delivered to our house.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 2.45 - Bad News
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2011 Megan Campbell
Released: July 18, 2011

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from iStockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Sarah Carerra Book 2: Summer Medley

Chapter 2.45 - Bad News

"I'm sorry," I whispered to Paul's parents. Tears streaked down my cheeks at his reaction. I knew that he felt betrayed. I would too if I was in the same situation. But there was no way I could have told him earlier. I didn't even want him to know now!

"What did you do?" his mom asked. The accusing tone in her voice didn't help my feelings, and I sniffed back a few more tears.

"Please make sure he's okay," I told her, unable to make eye contact. "I didn't want him to find out this way."

"What do you mean?!" she hissed. I could tell that she was mad at me. I was the first girl who Paul had approached like this, and I had hurt him.

I didn't know what to tell her. I had already said too much. There were too many people looking on now to say anything more.

Fortunately, Dad was there once again to alleviate the issue. He managed to calm down Paul's mother, and then he led both of his parents out of the room to where they could talk in private. I knew he was going to tell them the secret, and that only hurt more. Too many people were finding out.

Things got worse when I turned back toward the room. It was obvious that many people had taken pictures with their phones. There were also a few members of the press in the room who would likely play this up for all it was worth. I did my best to smile and interact with my fans, but I knew they all could see how upset I was.

I climbed into bed that night not only physically exhausted, but also emotionally drained. Dad hadn't been happy about what had happened. If it hadn't been for the fact that he knew I didn't do it on purpose, and that I didn't even want Paul to know, he probably would have yelled at me. Instead, he left me alone, which didn't help me feel any better either.

*  *  *

Friday morning proved to be as horrible as I was afraid it would be. My name and face were plastered all over the entertainment sections of most of the newspapers that Dad had delivered to our house. He usually used them to check up on his own clients. The grim look he had on his face when I sat down at the breakfast table with him showed me how disappointed he was.

The articles posited that I had broken up with Paul, or had somehow hurt his feelings in a way that made me look like the one at fault. Some of the more reputable papers included a photo or two of how distraught I had been too, but most of the others only had a brief statement that I appeared to be upset at the ordeal.

Overall Dad said it wasn't too bad. The press respected me, and they were giving me the benefit of the doubt. They didn't come out and say that I had wronged Paul, but many of them had left their stories open to interpretation in a way that didn't necessarily paint me in the best light.

"How are you doing?" Dad asked me as I poured some cereal. His tone was kinder than I expected, which gave me hope.

"I didn't want him to know, Daddy," I told him and felt tears bead at the corners of my eyes again. I sniffed and quickly wiped the tears away before they could turn into anything more.

"I know, Princess," he replied. Then he pointed at the papers. "This will blow over. You're one of America's sweethearts right now, so any gossip is news. We'll need to release a statement, so I want you to think about what you want to say."

"What do I tell them?" I asked, terrified! "I mean, I can't tell them the truth!"

"Why not?" Dad said which boggled my mind. "I don't mean that we break the secret," he quietly stated when he saw my look. "You should tell them that Paul and you are friends, and that you had a misunderstanding."

I sighed. This was NOT something that I wanted to deal with right now.

We ate breakfast in silence. I tried to think about what I should tell the press, and I couldn't find the right words. I knew there was something that I needed to do first, if I was going to come up with a statement.

After washing my bowl and putting it in the dishwasher, I headed for Sarah's room and pulled out my cell phone. After entering Paul's number I hesitated to make the call. I knew I had to do this, however, and eventually depressed my thumb to cause the phone to start dialing.

It rang three times before it was picked up. Paul's mom was the one who answered.

"Johnson residence," she said. I knew from her tone that she had seen the caller ID, though.

"Hi, Mrs. Johnson," I said softly. "Is it okay if I speak with Paul?"

She was quiet for a moment. Dad had informed me that he'd told them the truth, and they had agreed to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but that didn't mean that she wasn't still upset.

"He's not here right now, Megan," she finally said. "But I'm not sure that would be a good idea anyway. He had a crush on you, you know. But last night you crushed him."

"I know," I replied. "That's why I didn't want him to find out. He needed someone like Sarah in his life. He needed someone who could give him the courage to talk to people. I never even imagined he would recognize me. I mean, not even my cousins recognized me!"

"Megan, that's not..." she started for a moment before trailing off. Then I heard an audible sigh before she continued. "I don't blame you, Megan. Ever since you two became lab partners you've done nothing but try to help him. I know that is what you were trying to do last night. You've managed to get him out of a shell I thought he was going to spend his entire life in. He's upset right now, and rightly so. But it isn't your fault. Please give him some time. He'll come around."

It was my turn to be quiet for a moment while I tried to figure out how to reply.

"Alright," I finally agreed. "I have to make a statement to the press, and I had hoped to talk to him first and apologize. Will you at least tell him that I'm sorry?"

"The press?" she asked, worry filling her voice. "Why?"

"They were there last night," I said. "I'm afraid Sarah and Paul made most of the entertainment news this morning."

"Oh," she replied, surprised. "Um..."

"I'm going to tell them that we are friends, but that we had a misunderstanding," I said, using Dad's words. I knew she was worried about what this would do to Paul. His face was now in the newspapers, and this would certainly increase his anxiety. It would probably even make him more self-conscious around other people. "I'm sorry to get him involved in this part of my life. This isn't going to be easy for him, but I'll do anything I can to help him through it."

The phone was silent for a moment before Paul's mom spoke again. "Thank you, Megan," she said. "I'll tell him you called."

"Ok," I replied. It wasn't what I was hoping to achieve from the call, but it was better than nothing. "Bye."

I heard a click from her end, and my tears began once more.

*  *  *

It took another hour to draft the statement with Dad's help; more accurately he wanted my help in drafting the statement. He wanted it to come from Sarah, and not from her press people. Then, he sent it off to be distributed. I was glad that I didn't have to actually say the statement myself, but this also felt slightly cold. I just hoped that it helped.

After that mess had been dealt with, I had to turn my attention to the next mess that I knew we were going to create. Despite the events of last night, Dad was still adamant about letting my principal in on the secret, and I had plenty of things to worry about on the drive over to the school.

Stepping out of the car and walking toward the doors of the school evoked another set of emotions in me. I had spent enough time over the summer worrying about how I would be treated when I returned. I'd had an uneasy truce with many of the students at the end of the last year, sparked partially by the threat of missing finals that Principal Hall had put in place if anyone did anything to me. I wasn't sure if things would be different without that threat looming over them.

Fortunately, the school was pretty much empty as we made our way to the office and checked in with the secretary that was there.

I sat next to Dad for 20 whole minutes worrying about what would happen once we were shown into the principal's office. Eventually, the principal exited his office escorting another girl and her father. She looked like she was Austin's age, which meant she was likely an incoming freshman like him. The thought of having Austin in the same school as me this year also gave me pause, as I worried what I had gone through would mean for his standing with the other students. I sincerely hoped that my problems didn't lead to problems for him.

Once the girl and her father had exited the office, Mr. Hall turned toward me.

"Megan!" he greeted me happily. "It's so nice to see you again. I'm glad that you have decided to return to our school."

My greeting caught in my throat for a moment as I processed that statement. I hadn't even considered going to a different school. Would that have been a better option? I quickly discounted that thought when I realized it would probably mean leaving Emily and Ethan behind. I couldn't go anywhere if they were staying here.

"Hi," I finally managed. Principal Hall continued smiling as he turned toward my dad.

"Don, it's nice to see you again," he said before motioning toward his office. "Why don't you two come inside."

We followed the principal's lead into his office and took seats in the chairs in front of his desk. Mr. Hall walked around his desk and took a seat before smiling at us once again. Then he turned his attention to a folder that was lying nearby. He moved it in front of him and opened it.

"The Board's lawyers have agreed to allow me to sign the non-disclosure," he said, directing his comments toward my dad. "They weren't exactly happy about it, but I do have it signed."

He pulled out the papers that I had become all too familiar with when people found out my secret and handed them to Dad, who started to review them. Then Dad returned a set to Mr. Hall and placed his copy on top of his day planner.

"Thank you," Dad said. "That will make this meeting a lot more productive."

"Can I ask what this is about?" the principal asked before motioning toward me. "Is it in regards to her change?"

"No," Dad replied casually. "I've already given you the papers that show she is legally female. We don't need to go over that any more, do we?"

Principal Hall shook his head before replying. "No," he said. "As far as the school is concerned, Megan is female. She will be treated like any other female in this school and will be held to the same standards that the other girls are held too. Congratulations, Megan."

I smiled broadly before I could even attempt to talk. "Thank you," I told him.

"So if this isn't about her gender..." the principal said, trailing off at the end to invite us to inform him what it was truly about.

I looked to Dad, wondering if he wanted me to say it. But he started speaking instead. "There is a good chance that Megan will be missing quite a bit of school this year, and we were hoping that you could help us make sure that she still meets all of the requirements to advance."

"Oh," the principal said, obviously surprised. "If I might ask, why would she be missing school?"

Now Dad looked over at me, which caused Principal Hall to do the same.

"I'm, um..." I still didn't think that this was a good idea, and I didn’t want to tell him. But I knew that Dad's reasoning for telling him was sound. "I'm Sarah Carerra," I finally blurted out. The relief that I felt was immediate, and almost as pronounced as the shock that registered on my principal's face.

"I..." he started, but he seemed to be debating with himself if what we had told him was the truth. I saw the doubt cross his face more than once before he finally seemed to accept what we were saying. He still looked reluctant to believe it when he spoke again, though. "Okay," he said cautiously. "Assuming that's true, what do you want me to do?"

"Megan will be missing some school due to the concert tour she is currently committed to," Dad told him. "We were hoping that you could help us excuse her absences and help us to make sure we have all of her assignments so that she can complete them while she is gone."

Principal Hall pondered that request for a moment. "I think that I can do that. However there are a minimum number of days that she is required to attend to be eligible for advancement. If she misses too much, then I won't have any choice but to hold her back."

"I don't expect her to miss too much," Dad told him. "Most of her concerts are on Saturdays, but we will need to fly out on Friday afternoon to make it to them. Otherwise she has one concert on a Tuesday, so she will likely be out for a day or two then. For everything else she has planned, we are trying to work around the school schedule to keep her from missing too much."

Mr. Hall nodded.

"In addition," Dad continued. "For your help we would like to offer two gifts from Sarah Carerra. First, we are planning a Christmas performance, and we would like to offer the school's Chorus group the chance to perform with her."

I was as surprised as Principal Hall! Dad hadn't mentioned any of this to me beforehand, but I saw his grin that told me how excited he thought I would be. Truthfully, the thought of performing with people from my school worried me a lot more than it excited me. I had already had one person see through my disguise at close range. What if some of the other students did the same thing?

"I'll have to see what Mr. Benson thinks about that first," the principal said. Mr. Benson was the Chorus instructor. Dad nodded to show that he understood. "What's the second item?"

"Sarah is also willing to perform a concert for the school," Dad said.

If I thought that the shock of performing with the Chorus was bad enough, this new offer electrified my nerves!

"What?" I screamed! "No! I can’t perform at school! If I’m outed here, then everything will be over!”

"It'll be okay, Megan," Dad tried to soothe me. "You've already proven that you can fool everyone. Nobody will recognize you."

"What about Paul?" I shot back. "He recognized me easily enough! How can you be so sure that nobody else will?"

Dad seemed to reflect on that point for a moment, but I saw in his eyes that I would be performing here. As my agent, he knew that it would be the right move for my career, and he didn't seem to be worried about the secret getting out.

"Paul was a special case," Dad said. I could only frown at him because I knew that was true. The only reason Paul had recognized me was because I was the only friend he'd ever truly had. Even Ethan, whom I'd known much longer than Paul, hadn't recognized me.

"Fine," I said resignedly. I wasn't exactly happy about it, but I knew I didn't have a choice anymore. There were some decisions, like where to perform, that weren't my call. The smile that was on Mr. Hall's face told me that it would be good for the school and good for what we were asking him to help us with. But it still didn't keep me from worrying.

"The school would appreciate that," Principal Hall broke in when Dad and I had lapsed into silence. "But how is this going to work? How do we explain Megan's absence to the teachers?"

"Officially Megan is one of Sarah's personal assistants," Dad explained the cover story that we had already established. "That explains why she is following Sarah around, and should suffice for most of her absences."

Principal Hall nodded before he spoke again. "Okay, that will work. I'm willing to help in any way that I can. It's an honor to have you at this school, Megan."

"Thank you," I said, but inwardly I was still pouting about what Dad had thrown at me.

"There is one more thing that I'd like you to consider doing in return," the principal continued. I felt my whole body sag at his words. Whatever it was, I was sure I wouldn't like it either.

"What is it?" I asked cautiously. I really didn't want to know the answer.

"I'd like you to consider joining Chorus," he replied.

I sighed. I knew I wouldn't like his request. Everything both Dad and Mr. Hall wanted me to do had a major potential of blowing the secret out into the open. What if someone in Chorus recognized my singing as Sarah's? What would happen then? It definitely wouldn't be anything good.

"It would count as one of your electives, and Chorus meets during last period, so it wouldn't interfere with any of your extracurricular activities," he continued, trying to persuade me. He even had a large smile on his face that made him look way too happy. I still didn't like the idea.

"I think that is a good idea," Dad piped in with his own opinion. "It will give you a chance to work on your singing and you might even learn a thing or two. Besides, if Mr. Benson agrees to have Chorus perform with Sarah, then it will be a good way for you to learn and interact with the group before they ever meet Sarah."

I sighed again. Today felt like I had no control over my life. From the stories in the papers to the inability to speak with Paul. From the new concert to being forced to join Chorus. I was half afraid I'd be playing on a sports team by the end of the meeting.

"Whatever," I finally told them, which caused both of them to smile widely. I hated them at that moment! I still wished that there was something that I could do to get out of what I had just been forced to commit to.

*  *  *

"I thought you wanted to protect the secret," I scowled at Dad when we were back in his car.

Dad looked over at me and laughed. He laughed! I scowled even harder.

"Megan, you are too worried about this," he said. "What happened with Paul was unfortunate, but it was extremely unlikely. You know as well as I do that Sarah and Megan look very different from each other. Nobody else is going to find out, and joining Chorus is not going to kill you."

"Fine," I told him. "But a concert?"

He chuckled again while shaking his head. Then he spoke once more.

"It'll be fun," he said. "Think about how great it will be to have the whole school screaming for you. All those people who give you a hard time will fall at your feet. Trust me. You are going to enjoy it."

When he put it that way, the concert did sound like a lot of fun. I'd love to see Jared Lumbart and his friends groveling at my feet for an autograph.

But that didn't mean I wanted to do it.

*  *  *

Chapter 46 - On the Road Again
Coming Soon...
up
326 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you!

I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for reading this story. I am about to send the last chapter of book 2 (Chapter 53) to my editor. It's been over a year in the making, but I think it was worth it.

There is more Sarah Carerra to come after this. A third book is already planned, and depending on how things go there may be more.

Thank you again and I hope you enjoy the story.

I will not be disappointed

Don't know about anyone else, but I will not be disappointed with more of Sarah Carerra

Fluffy

Nice Work!!!

Drakira's picture

Nice work on book two thus far, and I look forward to more, :)! I remember reading somewhere that you were going to continue with A Flower's Bloom, the spy story you have. Have you though about that since you did leave it a little bit hanging at the end?

Drakira

Drakira

Plan

My plan before I start writing Book 3 is to finish the next part of A Flower's Bloom. It is about 1 1/2 chapters away from being done. I also have a few 'episodes' of A Flower's Bloom that are self contained stories that I'd like to finish and release too.

Clarification

Just for clarification, Book 2 ends with Chapter 52, not 53.

I'm guessing Book 2 ends with the end of the summer tour, Megan

As to the school,

doesn't dad remember this is the very same principal who *outed* Brett IE the "Mr. Campbell" crap, when she first dressed as Megan and that he did so in knowing violation of the law? Megan kinda of forgave him at the yearbook signing but still... why do HIM any favors? And what of Johnny? And the ball player who kicked her? Or others who assumed she was a boy pretending to be a girl?

Making her join the choir has serious problems beyond what happens when Sarah rehearses and performs with them. Will some kids still assume Megan is this perverted *tranny*? Gym class should mute that eventually plus having a period publically but for a while she will have problems. Her style of singing, though she is something of a musical chameleon -- in the good sense of that -- is quite distinctive. Will the music teacher or kids accuse her of trying to *copy* Sarah Carrera? Will the music teacher have to be brought in on the secret or others as well? And what if they enter any completions? If word gets out Sarah is one of their members could they be disqualified for using a *professional*, a *shill*?

Paul is another problem, assuming he doesn't change schools. She has accidently changed his life. But for the better or worse? At least in the short term he will have problems with the press and what of wacko fans? Could some deranged person attack him? Sad to say fame attracts all kinds and not all are sane. Think of John Lennon. Or " I killed him for you, Sarah. Paul can never hurt you again and we can be together forever."

Catwalk *nailed* the evil side of being famous, IE the kidnapping and her near murder.

I wonder, it could be as others suggested that in the back of his mind dad is using the school as a *safe place* a more controllable situation to *out* Megan as Sarah? Ideally the concert at school is the *perfect* time to announce she is Megan, IE after she's had some moths to prove to her classmates she really is a girl named Megan and great kid, worthy of their friendship and support, IE thus she can finish school in a supportive climate. But will her Hanna Montana secret last that long?

I agree and it seems pretty much the mass opinion here dad/Don is in full Don mode now, WAY too much the manager and not her dad. He seems to have forgotten the near disaster of her first weeks -- almost loosing her friends/her support *network* -- and the collapse on stage because they put the career ahead of her health. Mom, Megan and Austin need to give him a dope slap and get him to realize she is his daughter first and foremost.

If her dad doesn't get* with the plan and soon the best alternative for Megan is to at the last Summer concert Sarah announce unexpectedly " This is the last time you'll see me in public for a while as I am going back to school and taking a break from performing so I can concentrate on that. [shocker silence even a few screams?] Don't worry, I will be back... if you want me... [huge applause] But for now..." and she goes into some song appropriate as a *so long for now.* Don can scream his head off about contracts and all but she simply plays the daughter card.

Plus when will she tell the family? In particular her cousin Kate, her grandparents and Emily's sister?

A short but intense chapter.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. But why can't she return Paul's feelings...in time? For now she feels hurt by Josh and is avoiding all potentially sexual relationships. And she is what 15? So she's had a taste of the joys but has also been burned so for now is being a kid and performer first, no romantic entanglement allowed IMHO. How long that will last and at her age? Not long I suspect.

Did she say "Sorry" to Paul because she didn't have the intense crush on him he had on Sarah? Or because she didn't want him caught up in the media circus and hurt? Or sorry he found out the way he did thus losing his heroine? Was Paul more hurt by Sarah turning him down or realizing it was Megan who was turning him down? Sarah was his heroine and to an extent his forbidden love. But Megan had/was his friend and *cheerleader*. Does he have feelings for Megan? After all Megan is Sarah and not the other way around. And why did Paul's mom end the call s she did. Rationally she understands it was all a terrible accident but does she subconsciously blame Megan/Sarah for hurting her child? How can Megan ever make it up to him? How can she repair the damage?

Ah the complexities, the agonies of teenage love.

As to Josh, I have a some doubts the duet recording will come off given how his aunt and family acted aloof and snooty and how he ignored her pre and post concert. And now she is the bigger name, not him. That changes the dynamic. Would it be seen as a romantic duet or a falling star's desperate grab to remain on top? Would it hurt rather than help his career? And will he get all snotty about Paul? Act like/accuse Sarah of being some kind of slutty cocktease? Josh is a Jekyll and Hyde depending on which family is with at the time.

GREAT chapter. Marvelous story. Excellent effort on your part, Megan.

John in Wauwatosa

your work

is one of the things that lead me to this site. your quality keeps people coming back.
this was definitely an unsettling chapter for Megan, i'm not sure a little discussion ahead of time with her should not have happened before dad sprung all that on her. chorus is a bad ideal. people may not see Sarah when they look at Megan but they will hear her. her dad should know better. this might be one where mom should have been consulted too.
great chapter, thanks

Sarah Carerra - 2.45 - Bad News

If she joins the choir, her chances of getting outed increase.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Choir

Renee_Heart2's picture

For onece I agree with you on this. NOt to menchion thatif she IS in Choir the SHE (Meaga) will be expected to be at the concert for Sarha to sing with them personal asstant or not.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I was thinking the same thing.

As soon as she doesn't turn up to sing in the chorus, *someone*'s going to figure it out. And with the press hanging around trying to figure out why she's only singing at this school and no others, it only takes one set of loose lips and it's all out there...

Ouch!!!

Renee_Heart2's picture

PAul saw right through her & her dad was right it was remote but it still happned. Now two concerts one with the school chorus & another concert FOR the ENTIRE school. The chances of being descovered have now tripled if not quadrupled. I think she needs to have a talk with her dad & Scott & flat out tell them that she wants more controle of when & where she performs I know that is mainly the manager's job however the artest should have some control over where they peform. It's only right.

A great chapter full of turmoial (hey everyting can't be all roses) thats life as a singing pop star.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Don is a moron

NoraAdrienne's picture

Joining chorus is the worst thing she could do. She would have to interact with as many as 100 people who would learn her mannerisms and voice, intimately. What is her excuse going to be when the school chorus performs with her in a concert? What is Megan's excuse for NOT BEING THERE? This is a recipe for total outing.

Post Script

Andrea Lena's picture

...Papasan has backed this poor girl into a corner. It's almost inevitable that her secret will be found out, and the chances that it won't have put so much stress in the girl's life, I'm surprised she doesn't have an ulcer. He's back to acting like a manager rather than a father in many ways, and it's taking its toll on her. The last thing she needs is more demands with more people to deceive in her life at this point. She was robbed in a way of her girl-childhood; I hope this doesn't destroy her opportunity to have an adolescent girlhood as well. Pretty please, father, may I take the year off and be a person for a change? Excellent telling as always; thank you, Megan

Post Script

Where is her therapist in all of this? It's confusing enough to transition into a whole new gender, regardless if she had the prerequisite anatomy to begin with. Even non-related managers consult with their clients before agreeing to anything, and she's almost at the age of emancipation. He gives her little credit for the great strides she's made regarding maturity; no one could have a finer more respectful and thoughtful daughter than him, and yet time and time again he fails to trust her enough to even ask for her feelings on life-changing decisions.

And unless the whole world is suffering from the same myopia that plagued Superman's friends, someone is bound to notice the resemblance between Megan and Sarah since they will be spending a lot of time with both. Dad needs to get out the fishing gear or whatever he likes to do to relax besides controlling his family and just go off somewhere and chill!

Post Post Script

This comment in no way is meant to criticize the author or her writing. I don't know where she's going with this, but I'm following all the way. Superb!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Dad and the principal are treading on thin ice

Superman/Clark Kent situations are dangerous enough, but grow even more so when placing both personalities in situations where their circles of interaction overlap.

Dad's lack of concern for his daughter's secret coming out with a concert at the school is especially worrying. If Megan were a non-entity, or simply less extroverted, then it wouldn't be as bad, but with her already well-known status thanks to the principal's initial foul-up with her gender, she is much more in the limelight than I think her father realizes. Throwing Chorus on top of that is just begging for the ball to be dropped, since even being one of Sarah's assistants shouldn't be enough to keep her from singing with the chorus as well if they were to be at the same location, not to mention the possibility of having her voice recognized. True, many people sound similar when they sing, but two people so closely connected with such similar voices would be a far bigger issue.

And worst of the bunch, is her father's decision to leave her out of the decision loop again. You would think he would have learned his lesson with her friends, but now he's overriding her ability to make decisions about her personal life that could not only threaten her friendships again, but potentially cost her both her career and any privacy she might still have. He's using his combined position as her father and manager to, in a way, bully her into things that either one or the other wouldn't have the authority to make her do, and it's going to come back to bite him sooner rather than later.

Melanie E.

I Agree

Hopefully Megan will talk to her mother and together they will reel him in. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

I agree as well

Don isn't acting like a proper agent. An agent should always discuss things that would affect their clients career with their client. They may push hard for something, but ultimately it is the client's, Megan's, decision.

This whole situation has disaster written all over it.

Another great chapter Megan.

Luv and Hugs,

Connie

Chorus, chorus and concert

The concert, I'm not worried about. But chorus though - Sarah's concert and Megan's chorus could perhaps get away with it because chorus and her solo singing are very different musical settings. But having *both* Megan and Sarah perform with the school chorus? Every little affect, pattern of motion, voice, appearance - I'm wondering if Don is not deliberately setting her secret up to be outed - at Sarah's convenience (well, his actually) and not that of the reporters.

Dad's horribly bad judgement

Mom needs to read Dad the riot act and he needs to get the message loud and clear that Mom means it in no uncertain terms. Mom also needs to go after our heroine a little bit for not standing up for herself.

The first thing the principal does is bring up the gender issue? Why did he have to be told in the first place? You work with the teachers to get the assignments not necessarily the principal. A note in advance from her parents should be good for the very few expected absences.

Dad springs the concert and joining the choir? How can Megan get away with not being there? It will be expected that she will sing with the choir and/or be there as one of Sarah's assistants. In close proximity and while singing at that? She has already be outed once. This is a recipe for disaster.

Dad did not discuss these surprises with Sarah or her mom? He did not listen to Sarah's concerns during the meeting, just steamrolled over them. Nor was he paying attention to her body language which was also telegraphing how very uncomfortable she was.

Again, Mom needs to really light into him and tear him a new one and then salt the newly opened wound.

Re: Dad's horribly bad judgement

Sarah needs to get a new agent at the very least, possibly a new agency. Megan's father is not handing his dual responsibilities at all well and he cannot just stop being Megan's father.

Re: Dad's horribly bad judgement

If Megan is outed at school then her whole life blows up. With that many people at school if she is outed it will most definitely get out to the world at large. With the gender questions at school that will also get out to the world and linked to Sarah. Megan needs to have a long talk with both her therapist and her mom. She needs to have a plan in place well in advance of her possible outing. She should also think about getting her own attorney to look after her interests who is not connected with her father.

Contacts and Thick Glasses

I think Megan needs to come up with a disguse for herself. Let's see hair is different, dress is different. Eyes the same, cheeks the same, lips the same, figure the same, profile the same. That's it a wig and "glam" clothes make all the difference. At least that seems to be what her dad thinks.

This could have disaster written all over it.

About Paul, he is now going to be a hero and in demand - maybe. How will he handle it. Lest we forget - where is Johnny in all this when Megan goes back to school.

Can't wait for the next 6 chapters and of course more.

Great Story.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Sara

I can't write but I can appricate those that can. You have a grat talent. I have enjoyed this story very much.

Thumbscrews at dawn

Talk about putting pressure on someone - she's heading for a breakdown - no doubt at all.

Don should be scalped for doing that - If I was Megan I would have refused point blank - artist has final say.

Schizofrenic?

Thats one thing coming to my mind about Megans dad and his brilliant ideas. The concert at school can Sarahs cover survive, but Megan joining choir? Mission impossible, unless she acts to be tonedeaf. On one side her dad is sending NDAs to all sides and on other side makes crazy suggestions like that?

Still loving the story...

Thank you Megan for keeping me entertained with your stories. With that said, I do have to agree with many of the above comments in that Don has lost his focus on why they created the Sara persona in the first place.

Does anyone know of anyone in the "Lime Light" that had a successful relationship with a relative/manager combination? I'm especially strongly against parents being managers of child stars. I this case I agree with some of the comments that Don has gone completely into "Manager" mode, and doing a poor job of it by constantly "Surprising" Sara with these benefits and expenses ( such as the custom guitar that was very expensive ). Why does he feel he has to keep these sort of things from her, then spring them upon her in a very public manner?

Which leads me to the "Choir", I also believe that this leads to nothing but disaster for keeping the Sara identity a secret. Megan has an untrained voice, and as such she probably can't mask her voice to fool anyone that is a fan that will be in the choir. If Don is so keen on Megan learning more about singing, maybe he should get her a voice coach.

Well I've had my rant, thank you again.

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=12...

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Not Surprising...

...since this comment comes a week after the chapter came out, that just about everything about how wrong Don is handling this has already been said.

Just a couple of other points: there doesn't seem to have been any reason for Don not telling Megan in advance what he was planning to commit her to, and for him to get her response (and hear her objections, if any) beforehand. OK, he's been high-handed and inconsiderate to her occasionally before, and you had Megan tell us that Sarah's concert schedule was his concern and not hers. Parenthetically, it couldn't have made either Megan or Don look good when Megan made it clear that Don's assertion that "Sarah would like to perform a concert for the school" was totally untrue.

Along the same lines, if the cover story was that Megan was doing what amounted to a work-study program as a gofer on the tour of Don's client Sarah Carrera, what need was there to tell the principal about Sarah at all? Just sign the necessary paperwork and get out. No non-disclosures needed. OK, I suppose in that case, once Sarah's identity came out the principal would be irate about being misled. But is that worse than the way things stand now?

Don and Megan seem to be operating under the assumption that the principal would consider Megan's exposure as Sarah to be bad for the school. I'm not sure they're right. (We're in Southern California, after all, and celebrities are part of the territory, so to speak.) And if they're wrong, they're in real trouble, and the insistence on putting Megan in the chorus could be a ploy toward making the exposure happen.

(I was betting on the secret coming out before the summer tour ended, with Book Three opening with the fallout. But that seems a little less likely now based on this chapter, since it would make a lot of this plan moot.)

Eric

(And everyone's STILL dancing around the problem here. Sarah exposed as Megan is inconvenient but livable. Sarah exposed as Brett is a major game-changer. Does the principal know or care, and if so, would it bother him?)

Bet ya it goes wrong

Let us just hope it is not a catastrophe.