You are What You Read - Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
You Are What You Read
Chapter Eight

by Freya

If anyone is wondering, I based her MID after Mule's as shown in his combat final.

The office cafeteria was pretty standard, Asuna grabbed a tuna on rye with chips and a coke then joined Linda at a table.

Linda gestured with her sandwich, "This isn't my favorite place to eat but it's good enough and it'll keep us in the building just in case they are finished early."

A thought struck Asuna and she asked, "Where am I sleeping tonight?"

Linda frowned, "I'm sorry, I thought you'd been told. You're with me until you leave for school. I know you've been bounced around a lot and I'm sorry you can't just go home but think of it as an extended sleepover. Once this summer is over you'll be living at Whateley and can spend your holidays wherever you wish."

"It'll be good to spend more than two days in the same place," Asuna nodded. "And having something to wear besides this will be good too."

They chatted about what would look best on her as they ate and shortly before they finished Linda's phone rang. She answered, "Uh huh. I understand. We're still eating. We'll be there when we're finished. Bye." She hung up the phone and shook her head, "Take your time finishing. A little frustration might help him realize how he makes others feel."

When they finished she lead them to a conference room near the testing lab. There five men inside, the three researchers and two more human seeming sorts. The new guys were a fair bit younger and dressed in black suits and one was holding a cane or walking stick topped with a small crystal sphere.

The lead researcher rose and spoke in his toneless voice, "Now that the subject is present we may commence the summary and final overview of results." He indicated the two new guys, "These are alternative testers codenamed Heimdall and Frey, a psychic and a mage respectively." Ignoring Asuna's surprise he turned and started a two hour long powerpoint presentation. He spoke in the same monotone for the entire two hours and even though she knew how important this information was she was barely able to stay awake.

The gist of it was that she was right on the cusp between Exemplar three and four but they were going with three officially. She had only the physical package and not the mental. She had not noticed either the telepathic or empathic broadcasts from the psychic that they had arranged at varying intervals from another room and the psychic had noticed no significant degree of shielding. However she had also not been affected by any spells from the mage and he had experienced significant difficulty even scrying her from the nearby room. This meant that she'd have to schedule further testing to determine what talents she might have in that area.

"More testing?" Asuna had said.

"Don't worry," said the agent with the walking stick. "It need not be here and you don't have to wear the testing suit. It might even be best to wait until you hit Whateley. They are more experienced at testing and have mages much more skilled than I am and with more power than any baseline mage such as I." He handed Linda a card, "If you two decide on in house testing give me a call."

"If I may continue?" grumped the researcher. "We have enough data to create an MID for you now. It will be based on the MCO model but the data will reside in our database and be accessible only to those with proper clearance. There will be a phone number on it you can point out to them if they give any problems. If the subject has a codenamed chosen I will add it now." He stopped and glared at her as if she were holding back information on purpose.

She actually had an answer to this question and after rolling her eyes she said, "Subject's codename should be Reimei." Then she spelled it out and added, "It means twilight."

The still nameless lead researcher gave a sour nod and made an entry on a laptop. "Jones, go get the card that just printed and give it to the subject." After Jones got up and went he looked at the mage, "I presume you will keep me informed of any finding so I might accurately record them?"

The mage nodded, "You need not remind me of my responsibilities Clarence. I am well aware of them."

'So that's his name!' Asuna thought. 'I was beginning to think he really was an android.'

Shortly thereafter Jones returned and presented her with a card. It had her new name and the codename she just gave along with a picture of her face but all the rest just said classified.

Name: Asuna Hinato
Codename: Reimei
Powers: Exemplar
Level: Classified
Wizard: Classified
Manifestor: Classified
Techniques: Classified
Weak vs: Classified
Backup/Team Affiliation: Department of Paranormal Affairs

Linda said, "Everything but name and codename is classified on all our cards. The colored border indicates you are a student. The magnetic stripe on the back holds the information but can only be accessed with the proper codes. I believe the military does the same. It is still valid picture I.D. however as it does have your full name and a picture of you."

Asuna nodded, "Thank you, I was wondering."

Linda stood, "I believe we are done here." She lead the way out of the conference room and out in the sunlit parking lot.

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You are What You Read - Chapter 8

What does Asuna do now? Will be fun to see the power manifest.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good! I was looking for this:)

Becoming a fan Freya. this is becoming a good story and your pace is just right taking us along in baby steps into things with you and Asuna. i'll look forward to her staying at Linda's because there's always a nice touch to the being "home" Whately Stories.

Great Job!
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

If you've gotta have a mid card

Diesel Driver's picture

I really like that MID card. CLASSIFIED!!! Absolutely perfect backup affiliation too. WOO HOO!

Chris in CA

Chris