Night Entries, chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Night Entries, Chapter 1

Author's note. This is based on my actual experiences. It contains frank discussions of sexual abuse and an attempted suicide. Please take care reading.

Dear Diary;

This is my first entry in any diary, ever. So I really hope I’m doing this right. When I saw you, diary, sitting in a discount bin, and I realized I had just enough money in my pocket to get you, it was like Fate, or something.

I guess the first thing I should do is introduce myself, but that’s kinda complicated. I mean, my parents named me Edward Williams, but I have never felt …. right with my name. Or with any other part of my life, especially with being a boy, for that matter.

I guess I’m all mixed up, diary, so that’s why its a good thing I got you to talk to. So what can I tell you? Well, I’m thirteen years old, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and I got a mom, and a step-dad and a brother named John.

I’ve had a lot happen to me in thirteen years, diary but I don’t think I’m going to have a chance to tell you about it tonight, as my mom will be coming up to check on me soon if she sees my light on. I’ve got a hiding spot picked out, in a drawer in my dresser that I mostly use for photographs, so she wont be likely to stumble across you by accident. I would prefer she didn’t see I have a diary at all, much less one that is bright pink, if I have a choice in the matter.

*******

Dear Diary;

What else can I tell you about me? I’m kinda hoping if I tell you, it will make some sense, because right now, I’m pretty confused by things. Like with what happened to my dad. He died when I was just five years old, and I don’t have anything that reminds me of him. We have no pictures, nothing of his. And nobody talks about him, ever. The worst part is he didn’t have to be dead. He committed suicide, Diary, and I don’t know why. Sometimes, I wonder if he had been here, would I still hate being a boy so much?

*******

My brother is gone for a week, and I miss him. I guess I should say something about him, he’s a big part of my life. He’s about as good a big brother as I could have, and I almost lost him once. See some bad stuff went down, and he went to a crazy house for kids. I’ve had nightmares of that place, which is why NO ONE can ever know I don’t feel like a boy. I couldn’t survive a place like that. I have to pretend I’m normal, no matter what it takes. What bad stuff, you may ask?

Well, I’m not up to talking about that right now, okay?

Anyway, he’s gone to a Christian camp for the week , and I’m going to the same one a week after he gets back. I’m surprised my mom signed us up for one, she’s never had a good thing to say about Christianity or God or anything, and my step-dad, Carl is about as atheistic as you can imagine. Oh well, its a week away from here, which may be her point in doing this.

*****

I don’t sleep well. A lot of the time, I don’t sleep at all. A lot of the time, its nightmares, and I wake up shouting and shaking, and end up with the light on for the rest of the night. But when its not nightmares, its about HER. I cant seem to stop wanting to be her, no matter what I try. I’ll see one of my girl classmates and the envy I feel is like this horrible ache I can’t seem to stop. Funny thing is, I don’t feel gay, you know? I like like girls, but there is also this wish, this need to be one that really messes me up. I must be nuts, and like I said, I don’t want to be put away, so I have to somehow hide this and hope nobody can tell how crazy I actually am.

******

John’s back! And the camp must have been fun, he seems happier than I remember him. As soon as he got back, he started talking about Christ and God and reading the Bible. I don’t know about religion, but its really good to see him smile. Seems like instead of locking him up they should have sent him to a place like that instead.

I guess I’m as ready as I’m going to be to talk about why he got sent away. He got raped, diary, if you can believe it. It messed him up big time, let me tell you. And from what he’s told me, it sounds like the bad stuff only got worse when he was on the inside. So I’m super happy to see him with a smile on his face again. We got the week together, and then its my turn to go, so I’m going to pump him for every detail he’ll give me about the camp. Maybe I’ll have to look into Christianity too, if it makes this big an impact on him.

****

I’ve been thinking hard about what happened to John. The thing is, when he told me, why did it sound … familiar? Like something like it happened to me? Is that why I have so many nightmares? I got holes in my memory you could drive a truck through, thanks to the meds they put me on after dad died, but you’d think I’d remember something like that. But just thinking about it has got me shaking, and I don’t think I’ll sleep tonight.

I have no idea how I’m going to deal with having bunk mates at the camp. I’m scared enough of slipping up during the day with the gender stuff, I wish the nightmares would give me a break.

******

I was raped. I’m almost one hundred percent sure of it. I had a bad nightmare last night, and for the first time, I remembered some of it when I woke up. Worse, the nightmare seemed to indicate my gender stuff played a part in it. So it was my fault. Well, maybe being at the camp will help.

*****

Dear Diary;

Well, this will be my last entry until I get back from the camp. I wish I could take you with me, diary, its helped me so much to have a place where I can be totally honest. With most real people, I just try and fade into the background as much as possible. I can’t tell anybody what’s going on in my head, or they’ll take me away, (Like the song, but much less happy.)

Here’s hoping I can keep up my act at the camp, last thing I need is a bunch of Christian kids finding out I’m anything but a normal boy. I can’t say I know much about Christians, but I somehow doubt they would find it cool that I want to be a girl so bad it hurts. So
I better make sure my Edward mask is on tight, and try and stay out of every one's sight as much as possible. Somehow, that doesnt sound like a relaxing week, but nothing I can do about that.

*****

I’m back, and I’m a changed person, I think. I took the plunge, and became a Christian. The clincher for me was when one of the councilors told me I could become an outcast if I become a Christian, and I laughed at her. I told her I already was one, so what did I have to lose? Afterward, I was a little upset with myself for letting my guard down, but maybe now it won’t matter.

They told me to pray, and that God can do anything, so maybe God will take away this desire to be a girl. They gave me a Bible to read so I could learn about God and Christ and all that, and invited me to come to the church that runs the camp. Its a little far away, so I don’t know how often I can go, but you never know.

*****

My step-father burned my Bible! I can’t believe he would do something like that. The man is utterly deranged. I better get myself under control before I write something really horrible. I’m more disappointed in my mom. Why does she stand there while he’s doing this kind of stuff? When I was little, I thought my mom was so beautiful, and the girl part of me wanted to grow up to be just like her. I guess every kid discovers their parents have feet of clay. Ah, well.

*****

The Bible is fascinating. I didn’t know how you were supposed to read it, so I just started at the beginning and read to the end. Its funny, the little bible I got says some of the individual books were written hundreds, even thousands of years apart, and yet it reads like its one story, or at least it does to me.

My version is written in “today’s English”, whatever that means, and has little stick-figure drawings in some of the margins illustrating some of the verses. It also has a series of maps so I could get an idea where all these stories take place. Its kinda interesting, this little patch of land has been fought over and conquered by just about every empire in history. Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, the Greeks, the Romans, you name it.

But its not all good news, at least for me. There is stuff about not wearing girl clothes, and I don’t know what to make of that. I guess I need to really pray to get rid of this desire, once and for all.

******

I figured I would write down the prayer I’ve been making. It goes something like this:

Dear God, I’m pretty new to this prayer thing, so I hope I’ve got it right. God I want to be good, and not do anything wrong, but I need help. This craving to be a girl is driving me nuts. I cant sleep, I can hardly stand to be around pretty girls cause I get so jealous. You raised Jesus from the dead, so I know you can take this need away from me. Amen.

*****

Its not working. Why isnt the prayer working? What am I doing wrong? Maybe I’m not a Christian at all. Maybe I have to start from the beginning, and accept him into my heart again. I don’t know what else to do. I fall asleep in class cause I dont get any rest at nights.

****

I started over again. I accepted Christ into my heart, again. Maybe now God will take this craving away. See, the thing is, even if I don’t act on it, its still a sin to even think about it. I’m basing that on Jesus talking about lusting after a woman being the same as adultery. And since I’m pretty much always thinking about it, well … I hope it works this time.

*****

I cant do this anymore. I’m going to Hell, and there’s nothing I can do to stop it. I’ve prayed, I cried, I begged, and God wont take this desire from me. I’ve already lost track of how many times I’ve started over, and I feel further away from God than ever.
I’ve even asked Him to kill me, and He remains silent.

Worse, some girl at school is spreading a rumor that I danced with another boy at the last school dance. I deserve it, because I insulted her, because I was frustrated with being at the dance at all, since I lacked the courage to ask any girls to dance. I blamed her, and it wasn’t fair of me. Things are just totally messed up.

*******

I got hurt today. I dislocated my knee, and it still hurts. My mom took me to a doctor, and he gave me a muscle relaxant, saying it will ease the spasms. The rumor is still going around the school, which makes no sense. People would have seen me so why would they believe this story? But its not dying off yet. All this extra stress is taking its toll on me. The nightmares are getting worse, and the gender stuff is beyond painful. What do I do, diary?

*****

I’m ready to end my life. I’m going to take enough of my muscle relaxant pills to stop my heart, and put myself out of my misery. Maybe, since God hates me anyway, he’ll let me go. Goodbye, diary.

*****

Obviously not the end, folks. Please remember to comment

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't know what to say.

Don't know what to say. Strong stuff.

yes, strong stuff

It wont all be doom and gloom, I promise. Thanks for commenting, Lexa.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

So far I didn't feel it was

Jules
doom and gloom just sincere and realistic rather than the normal fictional stories. Maybe in UK we are more relaxed about Christianity nowadays and don't have such strong beliefs these days so we don't encounter people who impose their beliefs very often.
I focused more on what you were going through as you wrote the diary and the picture that you were painting in this stage of the authors life.
So good or bad, happy or sad I'll read on to see what happens.

Jules

This was very, very real.

I'm actually glad this was fairly short. It'd be hard to take and write in larger doses. This is painful powerful stuff Dorothy.

You're brave to go there to write this.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

short chapters

yes, that was a deliberate decision to make it short. I dont know if I'm being brave or stupid doing this, but thank you. And thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

All too often

This is exactly what happens. It is also too bad that there are so many so-called Christians that give us Christians a bad name.

other Christians

I got little discussion from other Christians on this subject. The negative judgement was implied, rather than spoken. But even that was enough to keep me from talking openly about what I felt. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Better out than in?

Andrea Lena's picture

...some days memories are like gold or silver, very few, but precious. And then there are those like what you've described here. Some vague; pulling hard at places all over your heart without any idea of why they hurt. And then there are those that assault us; stab us without pretense or hiding. Those hurt the most, but sometimes yield themselves easier to healing because we know exactly what happened or who hurt us or how painful they were. My prayer is that this story; this candid view of your life; will be yet another part of your healing. God bless!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

And bless you, 'Drea

for holding my hand as I take a walk through the dark side of Memory Lane. I promise there will be some lighter moments too.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I don't know...

If you're still an active Christian, but if not, please don't take the following comment the wrong way.

The way I've been taught is that God most often answers prayer in one of three ways, and some grand vision or pronouncement isn't one of them. The first is a burning in the bosom if what you're asking for is right. This answer essentially means, yeah, you're on the right track, keep working at it and I'll help fill in the rest. The second is a sort of forgetfulness. You forget what you're even asking about. This answer means, do whatever, it's not important. The third is not to answer at all. For prayer, no answer is in fact an answer, it means you're asking the wrong thing.

When you asked God to take away your desires to be a girl, you asked for something against his plan for you... And asking to be killed is obviously very wrong, which in hindsight I'm sure you realize that.

I very much feel your pain in this, and you are VERY brave for sharing this with us.

*Hugs*

Abigail Drew.

asking the wrong thing.

in hindsight, I saw that indeed I was approaching it the wrong way. Sadly, I had no idea there was any other choice, not then. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

That is, actually, a very

That is, actually, a very interesting interpretation on the answers to prayers. I'll keep it in mind for further reference.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Ah Religion

I cannot comment - if I had believed in Christianity the way they wanted, the above story would have been exactly what happened to me.

I'm sorry to hear that

good stuff came out of my becoming a Christian too, just not right away. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Night Entries 1

Sounds like a good start. Has me curious.

I'm a Christian, and know other LGBT friendly Christians, but too many are negative/phobic/bigoted. Although I still think many of them can get over it, if someone they respect comes out to them, and explains it right. But some will be hostile no matter what, or be determined to convince you that you need to be "cured", and that joining their religion/church will do so.

I'm a pretty liberal, open-minded Christian, though. Raised in a large Catholic family (who were themselves pretty liberal). Lost my faith in my teens, but still interested in spiritual matters, so I learned about many other faiths, and atheism. Got my faith back in my early 20s, but it's a lot more eclectic, liberal, non-denominational Christianity. I also don't proselytize. I'll discuss my faith and beliefs if someone sincerely wants to do so (and ask about their beliefs), but I won't try to convert anyone, or defend my own faith when attacked, or put up with someone pushing theirs on me. I was never particularly homophobic, though. Or transphobic, even out of guilt or desperation to throw people off my own gender issue...

I've actually talked with several Christians online who seem to share many of these more enlightened attitudes with me. Although sadly, I've met many more at the other extreme. That's why my name at Yahoo Chat was Lisa_the_False_Christian, because of all the times fundamentalists (especially) called me a false Christian whenever I disagreed with them, on anything. Which was quite often. So I turned it into a badge of honour, mocking them at the same time, although they were usually the only ones who didn't seem to get it. More moderate Christians got the meaning of the name, or did when I explained it. But then, "false christian" is just a term extremists/fundamentalists tend to throw around to dismiss anyone who doesn't share their extreme beliefs. So, most of Christianity. Extremists in other religions or groups often do the same.

What does this have to do with the story? I don't remember. It's 5:14 am here. *yawn*

Lisa the False False Christian

heh.

You wandered off on a tangent, you did.

Let us continue it! For brevity's sake, which may help Dorothy more than anything else!

In a similar vein to your Yahoo Chat name, my IRC nick for FreeNode (Linux and Open Source related chats) is LinuxDolt. The name originated when I was first beginning to experiment with Gentoo Linux, which is something known as a meta-distribution, very difficult to setup, especially for someone who's never touched a POSIX-like environment before, which was me at the time. Gentoo is still considered difficult to setup, but it's far far easier than it was in those days. Anyways, I was hanging around several FreeNode channels, using my SlicerSV nick that I use pretty much everywhere, occasionally asking for help when I got stumped by something, and managed to help a few people myself with problems I'd had previously and already managed to take care of. All of a sudden I had fellow newbies treating me like one of the old hats and clamoring for help... So as a joke, I switched my nick to LinuxDolt. Somehow a temporary joke turned into something that's stuck with me since... and that was like 11 years ago!

BTW, the LinuxDolt joke is a bit of a multilayer pun. If you take just the capital letters, it's also LD, which can stand for Learning Disabled, my religious denomination is LDS, Latter-Day-Saint, and at face value, Dolt is a word meaning idiot, so a LinuxDolt is an idiot at Linux.

Obviously neither of the meanings implying lack of intelligence are actually true. And some people, especially around FreeNode, seem to think being "Mormon" implies lack of intelligence as well. There's something about geeks and Atheism along with being very strongly anti-LDS... Anyhoo, I get a hoot out of it, and so do the ones who get the joke.

Abigail Drew.

There's tangents and there's TANGENTS...

Gosh, sirmadam. (or is it madamsir?) Your verbal meandering skills leave me in awe. (Okay, technically, that was a display of textual meandering... )

I hope Dorothy isn't angry at us...

So, umm... How does the LDS Church feel about the transgendered? (shamelessly trying to get it back on topic?)

Anyway, I might actually be tired enough now to get to bed for a few hours.

Lisa_the_Insomniac
(my Yahoo name before that)

LDS Church and transgendered...

That's a complex question. And one that'll be explored a bit later in my own story.

The "Official" position of the church is essentially live and let live. Members are encouraged to do everything possible to live as the gender they were born as, however, we are told not to discriminate against people who choose otherwise.

However, individual prayer and direct inspiration from God to every individual is our highest placed doctrine, so to speak, so each member is free to interpret the scriptures and any modern revelation through our general authorities as we see fit.

You will, just as with any other denomination, find those of us who are more open than others. We do have some fundamentalist extremists in our midst who would probably treat it badly if the situation were to come up for them.

I am myself, just a guy btw. I find myself moved with charity, the pure love of Christ, for those who find themselves in a transgendered state, but I am not myself in that particular position. Well... I guess in a way I kind of am. I don't really associate myself as being either gender, I'm just me. If I happen to do something considered to be feminine, so what? If I happen to do another thing considered to be masculine, so what? I'm just going to do what I'm going to do and to heck with the world and it's preconceptions of what that should be.

I do find myself to be somewhat asexual, however, that's another thing entirely.

Abigail Drew.

Begging to disagree

Way - w-a-y back when, BD (Before Disco!), I was going strong with a Mormon girl (before LDS came into general usage I think) named Robyn.* Her parents were very strict Mormons and sent her to church every morning to study their teachings, from 6-7 AM. That put her on my school bus going to school. We'd already met in school, and one thing led to another. As far as her church and her parents were concerned, I had three very large sins they couldn't accept: I was a long-haired Lutheran guy (Sin #1) who wanted to be a girl (Sin #2) who Robyn loved (Sin #3, by some convoluted logic we were lesbians even though they refused to accept me as a girl). For what it's worth they considered my MTF status as the BIGGEST sin, although not being Mormon was right up there. Anyway, it was enough for them to forbid Robyn to have anything to do with me.

Given the interference of the Mormon/LDS Church in the gay marriage situation in California a year or two ago it doesn't sound like "live and let live" is their true feelings or policy regarding the LGBT.

*See just below the Memorial Box on the front page. we got together in college, rented a one bedroom apartment, cut ourselves off from our parents and were happily living our lives together when she was run over and killed.

* * *

There are plenty of people in this world who think they are wits. They are half right.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Herein comes the complexity...

I'm going to have to beg off replying to this here, I'd be happy to discuss this in a different venue, but as comments on a story it's way off base.

Abigail Drew.

night entries 1

Going to save my comments to the end so i get the gestalt.
Diana

Night Entries, chapter 1

Very powerful.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine