Into the Land of the Pinks: Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version
Into the Land of the Pinks: Chapter 18
Samantha Jenkins

Reborn

I had been sitting at my desk, waiting on really slow web page to load, when I just happened to glance at the calendar that was hanging on the panel of cork behind my desk. The top half of the calendar showed a picture of a kitten chasing a ball of multicolored yarn on a hardwood floor, the bottom half showed the days of the month of April. As I looked at the calendar, I realized that the next day, the twenty fourth, would mark six months of Zoe being here. It would be six months since I had started down the road that had placed me where I was, sitting in my room, decorated in such a fashion that someone that casually glanced in would see nothing but the room of a girl. The only thing in the room that hadn't been replaced when it had morphed from a boys room to a girls room was the laptop and iPad. Neither seemed odd in a girls room now a days. Three months ago, the caterpillar had entered her cocoon, and she was staring to emerge, even more beautiful than she could have imagined. I briefly considered that I had two birthdays: one, my actual day of birth, on the twentieth day of July in the year 1998, and the second was the day that Zoe completely came into existence, the twenty fourth of October, in the year 2011. I considered October to be the real birthday, the day I was reborn. I briefly wondered if I could get away with two birthday parties... I gave up on this web page loading and shut down the computer, and went to bed.

#

On April twenty fourth, which just so happened to fall on a Saturday, I got out of bed and took a shower like I always did. What I didn't know was that by the time I had gotten back to my bedroom, something for me to wear would have already been laid out. I had walked back into the bedroom and saw the blue plaid skirt, blue beret, white short sleeved blouse, and black knee socks laying on my bed. I took a quick glance around, not knowing how this outfit had migrated out of the closet and onto the bed.

"Zoe," I heard mom's voice from the other side of the door. "I put the outfit I want you to wear on your bed." Ok, so that was how the outfit ended up there, but why was the more important question now. I shrugged and got dressed. It wasn't often that mom picked clothes out for me, even though she claimed the right to pick out my outfits for the first day of school, and for picture day until I graduated, but when she did, there was usually a reason for it. I got dressed and brushed my hair out. It had, ever since I had let it grow out, been in the style of a bowl cut when it was shorter, and now that it was longer, was more of a shoulder length bob. The beret looked perfect atop my head and I slid my feet into my black loafers. I opened the door and walked out into the hallway at the same time that Heather did. She was dressed just like me, except her beret and skirt were solid purple, a color that had always looked good on her. Purple didn't look as good on me, so I rarely wore it, although I wondered what the outfit I wore now would look like in a purple.

"Morning, Zoe." Heather said, looking at me. "You look nice. Did mom pick out your clothes too?" I nodded, now really trying to figure out mom's reasoning. I could see dressing Heather and I alike if we were twins, but we weren't. Riley and I were closer to twins than Heather and I. Riley's brown hair was longer than mine and was more often in a pony tail, braid or the occasional set of pigtails. I love to see Riley with her hair in a set of braided pigtails, even though that was rarer to see than her hair just flowing down her back. "I wonder what she's up too..." Heather said as she let me go down the steps first.

"It's hard saying. You know I really wish that I could actually sleep in on the weekend. I have no reason to be up this early." I said, hitting the bottom of the stairs as there was a knock on the door, which was odd at this early hour no matter what day it was.. I looked at Heather who shrugged and I opened the door to look at Riley, who was dressed like Heather and I, only she wore the matching outfit to mine in red. She seemed surprised to see that I was wearing my matching blue outfit today. "Come in." I said, stepping out of the way so that she could actually come in the house rather than us just standing there staring at each other.

"Do you know what's going on?" Riley asked after we had hugged. "Your mom called my mom last night and asked her to make sure that I was up and wearing this," She gestured to herself. "Your mom even asked my mom to make sure that my hair was in braided pigtails... My mom actually did my hair for me this morning." Her mom had even tied red ribbons around the ends of the pigtails, completing the look. I had some thoughts enter my head that a thirteen year old probably shouldn't have been thinking.

"Not a clue..." I said, closing the door and taking hold of Riley's hand as we went toward the kitchen. Mom was waiting in the kitchen for us.

"I still think that you and Riley could be twins, Zoe." Mom said with a smile. "Since I'm sure that you guys are trying to figure out what is going on, does any one know what today is?" Riley and I looked at each other, rather easy as we were both the same height. I had an idea of where mom was going with this, but only because I had actually looked at the calendar.

"Six months ago, Zoe came out to play, and three months ago, a caterpillar went into a cocoon and has started to turn into a butterfly..."Mom said, Heather and Riley looked at me. "Today we are going to have a sort of half year birthday party for Zoe. It's going to be girls only, thus the four of us for now, Riley, your mom and dad will be over tonight, and we have to pick up Zoe's dad from the airport around two thirty." Riley and I shared a look, and then smiled at each other. "Right now, I'd like to treat the three of you to breakfast." Mom smiled.

#

Riley and I were sitting on my bed, with the MacBook playing some music quietly in the background, when we heard mom holler up the stairs. I had heard the door open some time earlier and knew that Riley's parents were down stairs. When we had tried to go down stairs, and mom had turned both of us around at the bottom and sent us back upstairs.

"Zoe, Riley, close your eyes and come downstairs." Riley and I looked at each other, eyebrows raised. I slipped my hand in Riley's and we started to walk downstairs, each of us holding on to the handrail on either side of the stairwell. When we got to the bottom of the steps, mom took our joined hands and used them to lead us toward the kitchen.

"They look like they could be twins..." I heard Riley's dad say. Mom chuckled, turning to her right and led us toward the table

"Girls, have a seat." Riley and I sat, both of us smoothing our skirts.

"I would have never known that Zoe wasn't a girl if I hadn't known her before she transitioned." I smiled as Riley gave my hand a squeeze.

#

I'm not sure how long Riley and I sat there, our eyes closed before mom finally said, "Ok, girls, open your eyes." When I opened my eyes, I saw a cake with half a candle on it. I glanced at Riley, who looked as confused as I felt. I glanced at mom who smiled.

"Happy six month birthday, Zoe." Dad said with a smile on his face. His eyes sparkled like he was about to shed a tear or two.

"Happy birthday to you; happy birthday to you; happy birthday, dear Zoe; happy birthday to you..." My family and closest friends sang. I didn't know that you held a birthday party for a six month old, but hey, I wasn't your average six month old...

finis


This story is finished (for now.) I plan on doing a rewrite at some point in the future, but I can tell you that time is not right now. I enjoyed writing this story, and I wish to thank everyone for their comments as well as helping me get the first few chapters fixed. If you are an author and want to change the voice of the story half way through, my advice to you is: don't... It's a lot harder than it looks.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Samantha,

ALISON

'for what has been a very sweet and interesting story.I,for one,am going to miss it
but will look forward to you writing again.

ALISON

Thank you for all the

Thank you for all the comments. I would imagine that there will be more of the story at some point, I see some potential with it...

Samantha

Good story!

Let's hope that when you decide to revise / tweak it, you're sufficiently motivated to write a sequel :) Besides which, it would be nice to see more of Megan - it's inferred she hangs out at school with Zoe and Riley, but we don't get to see much of her apart from a couple of walk-on cameos :( OK, I wouldn't expect her to feature as much as Riley - she is, after all, a platonic mutual friend rather than a romantic interest, but if you did write a sequel there'd be plenty of opportunity for more character development. Hopefully when Zoe moves up to High School, the management would call a staff meeting before the start of term to remind the staff of the new equal opportunities / diversity / anti-discrimination policies, so they don't find themselves with a handful of emergency vacancies :)

Meanwhile, I'm still wondering about "half a candle" - since in most candles the wick tends to run down the middle, have the edges been chopped away to halve its diameter or has it been chopped in half horizontally to make it shorter? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Edits and candles...

There are a few things that I do need to add to the story... One that sticks out to me is that while Carly knew about Zoe from Heather telling her, Carly and Zoe never actually met. Some scenes could be expanded, others could be added... There is still work to be done on it.

As for Megan, there is opportunity there to develop her further, and I could still work on developing the main characters as well. Zoe does have a geeky side that could get expanded.

The candle was cut in half horizontally so that it was half the height of a regular birthday candle. Zoe turned 6 months old, half a year, thusly, half a candle... ;)

Samantha

nice finish

to a very good story, and of corse you can always add more if the mood strikes.
good luck with your other stories too.
thanks

Adding

This one seems to be one that could be added to very easily...There are some things that I know I want to add in there, Now I just need to find the time to work on editing this work...

Samantha

NOOOO!

I am so sad. This is one of my favorites. I would look every day for a new edition. (And every night to see if it had changed since 3.)

This was the sweetest story ever. I hope you continue it at some point. I don't want to pressure you though.

So this was the best story I've read on here. yep I loved it.

Wow... I can't even put into

Wow... I can't even put into words the elation I felt when I read this comment. I've never had someone tell me that something I've written was the 'best story' that they've read on this site. There are probably thousands of stories on this site. There is something for everyone. For someone to say that, it really means something.

Thank you.

Samantha

Thanks for sharing, I

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the story.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Quite enjoyable

Teek's picture

As an author who has changed the voice in the middle of a story before, I will agree with you that it is very hard to do. At least one of the stories I did this too never got finished, because I just screwed things up too much. Of course this is all doing it intensionally, I also have a bad habit of doing it unintensionally. That is hard too when a profreader points that out and you have to go through and try to fix the problem.

Samantha, thank you for a very well written story. I am writing this past my bedtime, because once I started reading this story, I just couldn't stop. You are a very good writer and you do a great job with character development. There were only two parts of the story I had trouble with. Allen tried on his sister clothes for the first time one night and christened herself Zoe, the next morning he told his mom, they immediately went out in public with him dressed as a girl, and in less than a week he was living full time as a girl with backing from a doctor after just one visit to that doctor. That is a LOT of stuff to happen in just a one week time period. Although the transition was happening very fast, I was buying it till the doctor visit and after just one visit she approved the change, including fighting the school system. That is when I started saying NO, that would never happen, not that fast. I don't believe any doctor would make that type of decision with a child (yeah I know she didn't normally see children) after just one visit. Maybe encourage wearing out in public, but fighting the school and legally changing his name after just one visit? - - - -

Well the other problem I had was with Riley and Zoe. She showed up in the story the day Zoe showed up to school for the first time, yet later in the story it is clear she has been a close friend with Allen for a long time before that. If she noticed and recognized a change in Allen several years earlier when his eyes lost their sparkle, there was more to the two of them that what this story lets us know. If you do some reworking of this story, you might want to add a little bit at the beginning telling us about Allen, leading up to that day and maybe introducing Riley when Zoe was still Allen. It would help accepting their immediate connection and almost immediate love connection.

Samantha, It was a great story and you are an amazing author. I feel the story started out to be a short story but did not end that way. I have done that before too. My longest story, 170 pages, was suppose to be a short story less than 10 pages. Funny how stories some times take on a life of their own and just keep blossoming into a young lady when you had planned on them staying a little girl forever. Keep writing, thank you.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Wonderful Story

Samantha, Just wanted to let you know that I think this story is absolutly fantastic. I know you plan on rewriting in the future, and I sincerly hope you do. I thought the 6 month birthday party was really touching.

Just found this story it was

Just found this story it was great i enjoyed reading it thank you

Loved it

Hi Samantha. Just wanted to drop a note about how much I loved this story. It was a great look into this young girls life. Thanks so much for writing it.

Alex

Wishing for more

I wish there was more to store