How I became a girly girl - 15

Printer-friendly version

Jen

Julie and I go flat-hunting

How I became a girly girl

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 15

Nottingham

It's just over 140 miles from Woodley to Nottingham, on motorways almost all the way, and so the journey takes about three and a half hours including a brief comfort break at a Service Area. Julie and I chatted together quite happily about the film, our respective jobs and the progress of her mother’s probate for the first forty-five minutes or so and she kept an eye open for signposts and motorway exits for me. However, once we were clear of the M25 London orbital motorway and the journey involved driving north on the M1 for a hundred miles, we both lapsed into our own thoughts. I began to realise that I’d soon be taking an important step in my life, from which it would be almost impossible for me to come back. I would be moving away from my family, friends and everything that I was comfortable with, to start a new life in a different part of the country. It would be too far and too expensive for me to travel back to Bracknell more than once a term and at the vacations, so after September I would have to make my own life with new people. From past experience I was fairly confident that I would be alright, and would probably have a good time, but the prospect was a little bit scary all the same.

I glanced across at Julie and noticed that she too was now deep in thought. As usual, she looked very smart with perfect makeup and not a hair out of place, but her usually serene face also looked a little apprehensive. The changes that she was beginning to undergo in her life were far more drastic and far-reaching than those in mine, and she would be facing them without the support of friends or parents. I may get exasperated with my Mum and Dad at times and am not afraid to tell them so, but deep down I know that they will always be there for me, if I should need them. Julie, on the other hand, was truly alone in the world now, and would always be so.

I forced myself to start thinking of something less gloomy, and then smiled to myself as I noticed my beautifully manicured and painted finger nails holding the steering wheel. I hadn’t removed the extensions after a fortnight, as I’d originally intended to do, but had left them in place and was now quite used to having them. I’d even carefully renewed the lacquer on one of the nails after it had been chipped at work. There was no doubt that my attitude to my appearance had changed over the last few weeks and I took more care with my hair and makeup. This was partly because it was expected for my job, but also partly through Julie’s influence, just as Susie and I had been a calming influence on my sister’s fashion sense. I doubted whether this was a permanent change on my part though and assumed I would gradually slip back in to my old comfortable ways once the influence of my work and my sister was no longer present.

We pulled in to Newport Pagnell Services to go to the loo and for a cup of coffee, which was two-thirds of the way to our destination. It was the second week in August, the height of the holiday season and I guess some coaches had pulled up shortly before we did, as there was a long line waiting to use the toilet.

‘Is there always a queue to use ‘the ladies’ in these places?’ whispered my sister to me as we patiently waited our turn for a cubicle.’

‘Welcome to the ‘real world', Julie. I’m afraid that’s something you’re going to have to get used to if you want to join our ranks,’ I whispered in reply, first making sure that nobody else in the queue could overhear me.

She didn’t answer at the time but returned to what I’d said as we drank our coffee.

‘Jen, I hope you understand that my living as Julie is not so much a question of what ‘I want’, as what I ‘need to do’, if I am going to retain my sanity.’

‘In that case queuing for the ladies' toilet is a relatively small price to pay,’ I replied, smiling.

‘Yes, I suppose so.’

‘There are plenty of other disadvantages to being a woman that you will discover in due course, but also many benefits,’ I continued cheerfully.

‘Yes, as I’m beginning to find out, I am so much happier as Julie, but again it is not really a question of advantages and disadvantages, but who I really am. Ever since I’ve become Julie full-time I have known that it was right for me. Julie is who I am, and I could never now be anyone else.’

I smiled and squeezed her hand re-assuringly, not knowing how else to react. There was no question in the mind of my sister as to the direction she wished to take, in spite of all the potential difficulties. I had rarely come across somebody as single minded as she was. But then I tried to imagine myself in her situation. What would I think if I’d been born with a male body and female mind? I couldn’t really conceive what it would be like. I’m happy with who I am, and just hope that Julie will eventually be able to find that peace of mind.


We arrived in Nottingham at lunchtime, far too early to check in to our hotel room and so instead of driving to the city centre we made our way out to the University campus. I’d been shown round one of the University Residences when I came up for the open day, and had seen details of the remainder on the Web. The one I saw wasn’t too bad, and was no doubt selected to show to potential students because it was one of the better examples, but it did contain shared bathrooms and kitchens with no independent cleaners. I knew from experience that these could become pretty squalid. If the worse came to the worse I would just have to live with it, at least for the first year until I met someone whom I could share a flat with, but before I did so I wanted to check out the alternatives.

The list of private student accommodation contained a large number of addresses in Beeston, which was once a separate small town near to Nottingham but has since become engulfed into a suburb. It lay on the far edge of the campus and was clearly the chosen place of residence for many University staff and students. The area looked alright: a nice mix of architecture, a fairly cosmopolitan population, and no obvious signs of gangs, prostitution or drug dealing. We made a few telephone calls and arranged to go and have a look at several of the advertised rooms available that were still available.

The various bedsits that we saw that afternoon weren’t too bad, and were somewhat cheaper than an equivalent room would have been in Reading or Bracknell, but there was nothing that really grabbed me as somewhere I would like to live for the next nine months. There were no signs of any bagpipe players in the houses we visited, although one couldn't really tell from a twenty minute visit. We did, however, meet at least one serial killer - one of the landlords who was really creepy and seemed to be sizing both Julie and I up as we spoke, and who also had small mounds of earth in his back garden. (Julie afterwards said that he was probably just growing a late crop of potatoes, but personally I wasn’t so sure.)

By the time we made our way back into the city centre in the early evening, we’d looked at five possible places, three of which would probably have been alright but none truly inspiring. (I drew the line at the serial killer, not wishing to end up in his potato patch, even though his bedsit was otherwise ok.)

At six p.m. we found our hotel (thanks mainly to Satellite navigation) and checked into our room. Julie promptly unpacked our two cases, hung up the clothes, organised the bathroom and made us both a cup of coffee, before I’d even had a chance to stretch out on my chosen bed for a few minutes recuperation after the long drive.

‘We’d better find ourselves an evening meal,’ I suggested, ‘and then we can perhaps discuss the places we’ve seen so far.’

‘Great,’ she replied. ‘I’ll just need to freshen up my makeup first.’


Nottingham seemed to be quite a lively and interesting city with loads of bars and places to eat, although we had to avoid the former as Julie was under age, even if she tended to look like an eighteen-year old these days. We eventually settled on an Italian restaurant just off Trinity Square.

‘So what do you think I should do Julie?’ I asked.

‘I think I’d probably go for the offer of a place in the Hall of residence for the first year, even if it is more expensive and you do have to put up with a little squalor for a while.’ she said.

‘Really!’

‘I’ll have no choice but to live on my own for the next couple of years, but given the choice I’d always prefer to share with someone else, so long as they accepted me as I am.’

‘It is a pity that you couldn’t come and live in Nottingham, I’d have no problem in sharing with you,’ I replied, feeling a little sad at the prospect of our going our separate ways.

She looked truly surprised by my comment.

‘Do you really mean that?’ she asked.

‘Good heavens yes, I’d be happy to have you as a flatmate anytime, as long as you promise to give up trying to turn me into a ‘girly girl’. You are quiet, tidy, industrious and also good company. I’d also be able to keep an eye on you and make sure you do not fall prey to any fortune hunters.’

‘What's there to stop me from moving to Nottingham and sharing a flat with you?’ she asked tentatively.

‘I don’t know,’ I said beginning to think through the implications of what I had just suggested. ‘I suppose I was wondering what would happen about your house in Woodley, and in any event I thought you had arranged to go back to school in September.’

‘I will be sixteen and won’t have to go back to school if I choose not to. In any event, I could never go back to the same school that Julian used to attend. I’ve been thinking about studying at home by distance learning and perhaps going to a Further Education College once I’d become settled and found a doctor willing to oversee my transition.’

‘And what about the house?’

‘I want to sell it as quickly as possible and move away after the Grant of Probate. Once you’ve left it will be only a matter of time before one of the neighbours begins to wonder who that girl living there really is.’

‘Yes, I think you’re right.’

I could put the house in the hands of an Estate Agent, and perhaps reduce the price a little so that it was a bargain and didn’t take too long to sell.’

‘In that case, Julie my sister, would you like to come to Nottingham with me and share a flat?’

Her face visibly began to light up as I asked.

‘Oh Jenny, there’s nothing I would like more.’

‘It’s odd the neither of us had thought about the possibility before,’ I commented.

‘I’ve thought about the possibility many times over the last few weeks, but didn’t feel I could ask you, as you’ve already been so kind to me.’

‘Really? You’d have saved me an awful lot of worry and feeling guilty over the last few days if you had mentioned it,’ I said taking her hand and laughing.

Once we’d finished our meal we returned to the hotel room and began to make plans, both to start looking for a two-bed-roomed flat to share and also for our longer term future.

‘It depends on how quickly the grant of probate comes through. I’ve done all the calculations and am almost ready for you to submit all the forms to the Probate Office, which we’ll do when we return. If the Revenue and Customs accept my valuations of the house and its contents, and my calculation of the amount of tax payable, then we should hear from them shortly after our return from Thailand,’ she said.

‘We’re going to have to tell my parents about you and our plans to share a flat at some point, when we do so, we could perhaps involve my Dad. He works for a firm of Estate Agents in Bracknell and is often involved in selling empty houses, where the previous occupant has died, or had to go into a nursing home.’

‘How will your parents react when they learn about me?’ asked Julie.

‘Hmm, I’m not sure. My Mum tends to have a very narrow focus about what is ‘appropriate’ in life, and is constantly worried about ‘what the neighbours might say’, but Dad is a bit more broad-minded and easy going. We’ll have to be careful how we break it to Mum, but if we can get Dad on our side first of all he can usually bring her round.’

‘In that case it might be better if he we deferred telling them until after I’m sixteen and have begun taking the hormones,’ said Julie.

‘Yes, you’re probably right.’


Our second day in Nottingham was therefore spent looking at two-bedroomed flats in the vicinity of the University. There were fewer of them available, but generally speaking they worked out as better value from a rental point of view. Most of those we looked at however had one double-bedroom and a second far smaller single and so wouldn’t be ideal for two girls paying an equal share of the costs. We were just leaving the third example, just off Queens Road, when Julie pointed to a block of new flats, only recently completed and with a ‘For Sale’ sign displayed outside.

‘It looks like one of them has been furnished as a ‘show-house, shall we ask to see inside?’

We applied to look at a 2nd floor flat which had recently been completed and decorated. It seemed absolutely designed for us with a large living room, a modern looking fitted kitchen, two double bedrooms both with had fitted wardrobes, and an attractive bathroom. There was access to a garage in an adjoining block. It was also within walking distance of the University campus.

‘What do you think Jenny?’ she asked as we looked around.

‘It would be ideal for the pair of us if only it were available for rent.’

‘It would be  £140,000 to buy, property prices here are a lot lower than in Woodley. I would be able to afford to buy it outright once the Probate on my mother’s estate is granted. Then you could rent a room from me,’ suggested Julie.

‘Would they sell a flat to a sixteen year old?’ I asked.

‘I don’t know, but if not they would certainly do so to an eighteen year old. Remember you will be responsible for my finances whilst you are disposing of my mother’s assets. That process can take up to two years. During that period there would be nothing to stop you from buying it on my behalf, using the money in my mother’s account and before we have even sold the house at Woodley.’

‘Is that legal?’

‘Yes, of course! I’ll have to have somewhere to live once I vacate the house at Woodley.’


We went over to the site office and explained to the saleswoman Julie’s situation regarding probate and our wish to move to the flat in about four or five weeks. The summer of 2010 had been a particularly slow time for new house sales and there were several flats nearing completion all of which were then unsold. As a result the company bent over backwards to be accommodating to us. After various questions and assurances regarding our current and future financial position, and my own and Julie’s legal status, and a phone call to Head Office, they came up with a proposition. If we left a 10% deposit (which we could easily afford) they would rent a new flat to us on an ‘Assured Short-hold Tenancy’* for the duration of the academic year at  £750 per month (somewhat more than we’d originally planned). As long as our proposed purchase was completed within six months of our moving in, the rent we had paid and the deposit would count towards the purchase price. If we were unable to complete the purchase within that time we would still have the tenancy until the following June. We came away from the flat with various brochures, promising to let them have our decision the following morning. For the rest of the day and that evening we drove around the area, looking at such things as local shops and amenities, bus routes etc to ensure that it was the sort of place we would wish to live.

‘So what do you think Julie?’

‘I’ve always intended to find somewhere to live and make a fresh start as Julie, where there was no danger that I would one day run into someone who knew Julian or my parents. I think this could be just the place and it’ll be an extra bonus to share a flat with my sister. Let us go back and have another look at the flat tomorrow, and if we are both still happy with the idea we’ll go ahead with the purchase.’

‘That sounds fine by me,’ I replied.


Shortly after lunch on the Wednesday we began our car journey back to Woodley, having found somewhere for us both to live and begun the process that would enable us to move in to a new flat in time for the start of my University Term.

‘That’s a relief to know I’ll have somewhere nice to live and I won’t be on my own,’ I said as we began the drive back to Woodley.’

‘Things are really working out well for me, as well. It’s just now a question of collecting my female hormones from Thailand and then I can forget that Julian ever existed,’ said Julie happily.

‘Be careful not to get over-confident, there are still things which could go wrong. Someone may recognise you, or Probate may be delayed. Also I still have to break the news that we are intending to go on holiday together to my parents over the next few days.’

‘We are also due to have the results of our girlyness tests tomorrow,’ said Julie.

‘Yes, I’d forgotten all about them.’

* Assured Short-hold Tenancy is an form of Assured tenancy with limited security of tenure often used by students wishing to rent a property for a short period.

Next time My parents and I make some discoveries.

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

How I became a girly girl - 15

Here in America, there are sorority an fraternities that have large multi-story houses to house students as well as a selection of housing option as described here.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good to See...

...the "serial killer" digression; I'd started wondering whether Jenny was getting so tamed by the girliness process as to lose her personality almost completely.

Having both of them move to Nottingham makes lots of sense, but I think Julie was right in needing to wait until Jenny brought it up, or at least could be convinced of the messiness in Julie staying where she was. I guess Julie's right in that once Jenny leaves, her presence there as Julie gets a bit harder for neighbors to dismiss, and I think we knew already that she never had any intention of transitioning at school.

Judging from the next-episode tease, we'll be seeing what Jenny's parents think about all this sooner rather than later, and apparently there's something involved that Jenny doesn't know and can't prepare for. Should be interesting.

Eric

Yes!

At last, my suggestion from several episodes ago has appeared in the consciousness of Jenny and Julie :) One of the main advantages of Julie moving up north is that no-one will know her, so no-one will suspect she's anything other than a 16-year old girl. Interestingly, she'd also be the de facto head of household, since she'd almost certainly take charge of the finances and possibly even shopping. Both of them would clean up after each other and keep the place in tip-top condition without needing to worry about other tenants who'd possibly take less care and have drunken orgies in the lounge.

There's even a remote possibility that if Julie decided to take A levels, then in a couple of years time she may apply for a place at the uni, probably already knowing both the university layout and some of the staff.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I remenber your advice mittfh!

Well done, and good advice.

I was wondering why Jen didn't go in as a part owner, with her share of the estate and a small loan, maybe from Julie her rent would be better spent?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I'm thrilled to see...

Andrea Lena's picture

...this charming and welcome turn of events. It's great that they'll be there for each other; more so now in continuing to develop a sisterly relationship. Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

The two girls still together

Renee_Heart2's picture

Its good to see the girls came to the same concusion I had come up with the Jenny would have Julie move up to Notingham with her insted of Julie living alone. Jenny is right things could STILl go wrong, but with the courts I really don't see a problem its Jenny's mother that could be a problem. However when Julie is 16 I guss she is considered an adult in the UK where here in the U.S. its 18 & 21 to drink. Another great chpter the Vacation to Tiland & Jenny telling her parents that she is taking Julian (Jenny) with her could cause some probems will be intresting to see how that turns out.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Beeston ...

... is a very respectable suburb of Nottingham - one of my brothers as well as my sister live there (not that that's any guarantee of respectability, of course). As you may guess from my nom-de-plume I'm not a stranger to Nottingham although I don't go the centre very often.

Looks like Jenny is going to continue being schooled in femininity by her younger sister whether she likes it or not. Julie could just as easily go to school there as well. The two girls were always going to have to make Julie's status known to Jenny's parents sooner or later so it may be better to be sooner.

Thanks

Robi

Good story Louise

I'm glad the girls will be together, the purchase was a good move.

Especially for Julie during her post op and transitioning.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Good chapter Louise

Sounds like a nice comfy solution all around. I'm just waiting for the fly in the ointment.

Good chapter.

OXOXOX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Bedtime treat

Reading the latest episode of this delightful story has become my bedtime treat and I don't want it to end. I do so hope nothing goes wrong for either of them, since things are going so well at present, but that's in the hands of the author of course! In the meantime I will continue to enjoy.

Imade a comment that the majority of us wanted this

When 7 Yanks and 12 Brits ( 1 Aussie, sorry Bron) agree all is well in the world . Sounds like a great deal to rent to own what we call a condominium over here.

Cefin