The Angry Mermaid 44 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 44

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Permission: 

A Chapter where Queen Aiofe gets to meet her longlost sister Tara in joyful reunion and the friends finally have to say their goodbyes as some go north through the Prypet Marshes and others return to North Africa.

Bundling modern style similar to old celtic traditions

This was the more sedate style of bundling adopted by puritans after Elizabethan times. The earlier bundling traditions included playing tricks on the newly weds in addition to allowing intimacy without intercourse before deciding on marriage.

The Angry Mermaid 44

Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 44.

Mabina. The youngest daughter and Twin to
Drustan Her twin brother.
Grandpa Erin the twins grandfather.
Giana The twins grandmother
Caderyn The twins father.
Herenoie The twins wise and beautiful mother.
Morgaran The Twins oldest brother.
Aiofe The twins oldest sister. Famous for her beauty.
Tara The twins second oldest sister. Famous for her grace.
Feidlim Twins aunt (Caderyns’ beautiful sister.)
Mogantu Twins uncle (Married to Feidlim.) Chief of the Gangani tribe.
Brun. Twins 2nd cousin and the Acaman clans’ blacksmith.
Feorin. Twins second brother. Also training to be a blacksmith.
Rhun Feidlims’ son and Feorins’ favourite 1st Cousin. (Both red-heads.)
Arina Child of a Demetae fisherman, (rescued by Aiofe, Drustan and Mabina.)
Penderol Dumnonii Minor chief.
Udris Young Dumnonii warrior.
Dryslwyn High chief of the whole Celtic nation. Dwells in Brithony.
Bronlwyn Dryslwyn’s wife (and queen.)
Magab The moor who taught numbers.
Eric Saxon galley slave rescued from Corsair pirates.
Carl Another Saxon galley slave rescued by Drustan.
Torvel Celtic galley slave rescued from the same captured corsair ship
Arton. Turdetani Chieftain Holder of Gibral Rock.
Carinia Arton’s wife.
Isobel. Arton’s adopted daughter.
Appotel King of the Turdetani Tribe. (Southern Iberia.)
Bramana Queen. (Wife of Appotel)
Pilus King of the Capetani.
Shaleen Pilus’s queen and sister to Bramana.
Pedoro Lord Marshal of the Southern border region.
Lady Shulaar Lord Pedoro’s wife.
Taan. The scullery maid.
Isaar. Pedoro’s oldest son.
Ferdie Pedoro’s 2nd son
Sular Pedoro’s 3rd son
Gontala Pedoro’s youngest son.
Shenoa Pedoro’s only daughter.
Portega. Tyrant King to the west.
Portua. Portega’s grandson.
Jubail. Old Fisherman.
Mutas Magab’s younger brother and usurper.
Walezia King of Malta.
Alviar Megalomaniacal bishop of Carthage. (Hates Drustina.)
Ethelia Female healer who treats Drustina during her pregnancy.
Seripatese Drustina’s faithful horse.
Astos & Amitor Minor royalty who govern Alexandria. King and Twin Queen.
Meronee Nubian Queen of Nobatia The northern Kingdom of the Nubians.
Horam The Egyptian master Boat builder.
Muraa King Astos’s male partner.
Tuk Makurian general.
Fantu. Makurian Captain.
Irene Emperor Leon’s only child.
Leon Byzantine Emperor.
Zano Byzantine general who defeats the Bulgars with Drustina’s help.

The knock on the door was repeated urgently and Drustina called out.

“Who is it?”

“Who d’you think” Called back a voice that Drustina and Arina recognised immediately but Tara didn’t.

Drustina grinned and caught Arina’s eye. ‘Could there be a better way to introduce her middle sister to her older sister queen?’ She asked herself.

“Wait a minute, I’ll unlock the door.”

Drustina paused still absolutely naked while Tara and Arina settled in the chilly bathwater. Tara could not help but notice how many scars there were on her younger sister/brother’s body. Apart from the huge scar on her delicious but muscular arse and the vicious arrow scar that ‘flensed’ down the inside of her arm there were numerous lesser scars bearing mute testimony to the many battles that her younger sister must have fought. Tara was coming to realise that whilst her younger sibling’s life-story had obviously been an exciting series of high adventures, that life-story had come at considerable risk and cost. The scars were not a pretty sight on a girl’s body, especially when that girl was both sort of handsome and yet strangely beautiful in her own somewhat androgynous, warrior-like way.

‘No girl should ever have to suffer from so much disfigurement!’ Tara told herself.
From the privacy of her bath afforded by the soapy water, Tara wondered who had come to visit and she watched as Drustina opened the door.

When Tara recognised the person stepping through the doorway her jaw sagged with shock and delight.

“Get down,” Arina whispered urgently as she tugged Tara’s arm and suggested she give the queen a beautiful surprise. Tara slipped lower into the cool water and peeped over the edge of the huge bath. The visitor however remained stood by the door amusedly scolding her sibling Drustina.

“Is that how you meet a queen dear little sister? Naked as you were born?”

“You’ve seen me naked before dear big sister, since I first drew breath as a newborn baby no less. Besides, you have nothing else about you but that dressing gown and you’re naked underneath that. Now, step closer, I have a sweet surprise for you.”

At first, Aiofe did not recognise the yellow hair and eyes peeping nervously over the edge of the bath. She studied the unknown visitor then asked Drustina.

“Is this the wench sent to you last night?”

“It is dear sister,” Drustina smirked.

“Then tell her to stand in the presence of a queen. Let me know who this harlot is.”

“Oh! She is more than just a harlot dear sister; I take immense delight in presenting to you a soul we had adjudged lost long ago.”

Drustina motioned to the semi-submerged girl as she instructed her with a conspiratorial smile.

“Stand harlot for before you is Queen Aiofe.”

Tara erupted angrily from the water and shrieked in her old Celtic tongue as she stood unwittingly seductive while the water cascaded down her body.

“Damn you! I am no harlot!”

Aiofe’s jaw simply fell until it almost separated from her head as she recognised the second woman to stand naked before her that morning. Then she recovered her composure and asked uncertainly for she still could not believe her own eyes.

“Tara!!!? Is that really you!!!?”

Tara calmed down immediately for she realised Drustina had been teasing them. She turned uncertainly to Aiofe as she realised she had made an awful faux pas.

“It is dear sister, or do I call you your majesty?”

“For an answer, Aiofe lost all her royal decorum as she released her own shriek of delight. Then, she shrugged off her dressing gown and jumped naked into the bath to fling her arms around Tara. Tara staggered under the onslaught and almost slipped but Drustina grabbed her shoulder for she had also stepped into the bath to join in the embrace. Naturally the tears of joy flooded again but this time, all three sisters were hugging each other as tightly as their arms allowed. Arina looked on, smiling to see such an emotional reunion. Eventually, the sisters recovered their composure and Aiofe declared they must immediately visit Empress Irene.

“What like this?” Tara mocked.

“No silly,” Aiofe grinned, “we’ll slip some gowns on and go and visit her in her bedroom. It was her honeymoon last night so I imagine she’ll still be abed.”

Tara gaped stupidly.

“Her honeymoon!”

The three others nodded as Arina asked.

“Yes, what did you think the festival was yesterday?”

“Why the bastard!!” Tara cursed.

“Who.” Drustina asked.

“That dance master! My owner! I am Tara, the best dancer in all Europe, why was I not put to dance at the wedding feast?”

“Search me,” Drustina replied. “I don’t know.”

“I do; now!” Tara cursed. “Damn and blast his perverted mores! He had me down permanently as one of his whores. The bastard never was going to let me dance again!”

“Well that’s been stopped sister.” Drustina reassured her. “Your freedom was assured the moment I learned of your existence. Anyway, you are royalty now for you are the sister of Queen Aiofe of Carthage.”

Aiofe grinned and wagged her head towards Drustina before adding.

“More importantly dear Tara you are also the sister of this great warrior queen... ‘The Lioness of Carthage’ no less, only a man with an army could stand against her wishes and that would be risky for him. Be assured my dearest sister, with this girl’s sword to protect you, your bondage is well and truly ended.”

Drustina blushed.

“Hist thee now big sister. Flattery is a dangerous weapon.”

Arina backed Aiofe up.

“But it’s true Dru. The Dance Master would be an absolute idiot to demand his property back.”

Tara blanched slightly.

“Would he do that?”

“He might try it. Have you been branded as a slave?” Aiofe asked.

Tara hung her head in shame and another tear escaped her eye.

“Sadly yes but my last master called us his dancers and performers. We were his slaves for he did not pay us but he fed and housed us and allowed us the freedom to wander the towns we visited. None of his girls absconded for we were mostly happy to belong to a dance troupe. Men respected us. Some even bought some of the girls and took them for wives. That was the usual route out of bondage for us. That's what I was hoping for.”

“But what of this new owner?” Drustina asked.

“Well he hasn’t second-branded me with his brand yet. Maybe he intends to brand me when he breaks my spirit.”

“It’ll be a cold day in hell before that happens now sister.” Drustina assured her as she tapped her Toledo sword hanging behind the door. “If he objects to my liberating you, he must answer to this.”

Aiofe smiled and vigorously nodded confirmation. She well knew of her brother/sister’s skill with her Toledo blade. Tara glanced at her older sister and felt her fears dry up in the heat of Aiofe’s reassuring smile. Then Arina re-affirmed her previous remark.

“Yes, truly he would be an utter fool. Come on, let’s get dressed and visit Irene. Do you remember that old Celtic bundling game?”

The three sister’s eyes widened with delight as they all remembered the traditional fun of ‘bundling’ newly-weds.

“What shall we do to them?” Tara asked with a huge smile splitting her face.

“If they’re sleeping deeply enough, let’s sew them into their bedding.” Aiofe suggested. “That was always a good one.

The mood lightened at the prospect of catching Irene and Zano abed then ‘bundling’ the pair in the old Celtic tradition. Aiofe retired to her chambers down the corridor while the other three selected gowns from the samples brought earlier by the wardrobe servants. They met again in the corridor and eagerly slipped along to the wardrobe mistress to scrounge some needles and lots of thread. After explaining their game, the wardrobe mistress grinned and handed them the goods. She followed just as eagerly as the four girls slipped quietly to Empress Irene’s bedroom door.

They whispered to the guards who instantly recognised three of the girls and the wardrobe mistress. They looked uncomprehendingly at Tara until Aiofe and Drustina vouched for the stranger. Finally the guards recognised the similarity between Drustina and her middle sister so they accepted that Tara was a sister of both Drustina and Queen Aiofe. The resemblance was too uncanny. The guards grinned as Aiofe explained the game; the idea of seeing their chief of staff and their supreme commander stitched up in a sheet caught their imagination also.

After listening at the door, Aiofe concluded that the honeymooners were still asleep and they noiselessly slipped the latch. Once inside they all grinned at the site of Irene draped fast asleep over a snoring Zano’s powerful hairy chest. As the guards watched to make sure no harm came to their mistress and her general, the four girls carefully arranged the sheets over the comatose lovers then quickly started sewing ‘homeward-bounders’ around the edges. Soon the newlyweds were ensconced in an envelope of Egyptian linen. It was then that Aiofe let out a shrill shout that awakened the pair and the watchers squealed with laughter as the trapped couple loudly protested. Irene’s squeals quickly turned to giggles as she realised she was trapped with her beau but Zano took a little longer to realise it was a game. His roars eventually changed to chuckles and then a busy silence as eager, imperial fingers delicately explored the General’s body yet again under the privacy afforded by the closed bag.

“Stoppit you randy buggers!” Drustina charged for she was the only one present with sufficient familiarity to speak thus to both the empress and the general.

“You lot bugger off,” Zano commanded. “Go and get your breakfasts then return later. We’re happy here.”

With the rolls of victims seemingly reversed, the morning’s entertainment was completed and they left the newlyweds to their own devices while they repaired to the dining hall for breakfast.

“I bet they’ll be hungry by noon,” Arina giggled.

“They’ll want a wee before then,” Aiofe smirked, “let’s see if they’ve the wit to make it to the loo whilst bundled inside the sheets.”

The four delayed their return to the imperial bedroom until the eleventh hour and laughed themselves silly as Irene and Zano both pleaded to be released from the bag.
“Hurry!” Irene pleaded, I’m nearly wetting myself.

“So am I!” roared Zano, “cut us free!”

For effect, Drustina took her sword and deftly sliced through the linen to release the couple who dashed red-faced but naked and uncaring, to relieve themselves.

While the four girls squealed with laughter, Zano emerged grinning as he swore to get his revenge in jest.

“You buggers! I’ll get you back, I promise you. Just watch your backs!”

Then Irene emerged giggling from the lavatory and promised a similar revenge.

With the merriment over, the daily affairs of state soon impinged upon their lives again. Irene and Zano had planned a ‘grand progress’ around the empire and that was a journey that would take a solid year. Sadly the four girls reflected that they would all be making their separate ways before Irene and her husband departed. The mood became somewhat sombre as Aiofe and Arina reflected that they each had their different destinations to reach while only Drustina and Tara would remain together as they planned their return home to Lleyn. In the following week, both Aiofe and Arina made their sad farewells at the quayside as they departed sadly reflecting that they might never see each other again.

Eventually only Drustina and Tara were left for Drustina had invited Eric and Carl to accompany them home for the girls knew that Aiofe’s Saxon companions were equally as ‘homesick’ as they. Eric and Carl would probably separate when they reached their own homelands in Saxony and Freisia.
The Saxon pair eagerly accepted the invitation and as news of the imminent departure spread, some one hundred other expatriate Saxons, Gauls and even a couple of Danes, clamoured eagerly to join the party. Many northern Europeans had been stuck in Byzantium all through the Bulgar wars and many desperately wished to see their homes. Drustina had secretly hoped this would happen for with a small army, they would be safer travelling and they would even have enough men to ‘portage’ The Angry Mermaid by dragging her through the slimy summer mud of the Pripet Marshes. With luck and determination, they might even return to Lleyn with Drustina’s beloved ship intact.

Irene and Zano had organised the departure of their Imperial progress to follow a couple of days after Drustina’s departure thus came the day ‘The Angry Mermaid’ and two other boats of similar construction to the Mermaid were fretting at the quays of Constantinople while farewells were made and tearful departures enacted on the quay as many friends separated with no expectations of ever seeing each other again. Some staying back in Constantinople because of marriage and family ties, whilst others took their families with them. Naturally, Drustina had her two ‘firstborn’ twins with her and, in addition to a devoted sister to nanny them; there were several other ‘northern’ girls who were accompanying their new husbands on what was for them a great adventure. Seripatese, Drustina’s faithful mare was also a passenger.

Finally the hour came when Drustina and Tara stepped onto their gangplank and turned to bid farewell to Zano and Irene.

As they teetered delicately on the narrow plank, Zano deftly kicked the plank and the pair plunged into the water.
For a moment there were howls of protest from the Saxons and Gauls until Drustina emerged laughing and spluttering. She realised Zano had ‘got her back’ for the honeymoon ‘bundling’. Tara also emerged spluttering and cursing for a moment until Zano threw down a line and heaved them back onto the quay with his immense strength. She started laughing as she realised the joke.
Dripping wet the girls squawked with laughter as Irene handed them two sets of dry clothes.

“These are to remember me by. Now go before I break down completely and while we are still laughing. I will miss you terribly.”

Soaking wet but in joyful mood the sisters finally boarded ‘The Angry Mermaid’ and joined the other two ships in the centre of the channel. After a final wave, a fair wind took them north up the Bosporus and out of Irene’s sight.

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Angry Mermaid 44 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 44

What a great way to end their stay with Queen Irene and King Zano.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Devotion to Her .....

I admire Drustina’s devotion to Her cause.

This Epic Tale is very well told.

Thanks,

Olivea