Education in the Hills - chapter 4

Printer-friendly version

Mysteries within mysteries, and plans within plans.
Who do I trust? ... Who can I talk to?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Logan
for their kindness, help, support, and input.

Education in the Hills
Chapter 4

By Penny Reed Cardon

After Jenny let go of my hand, the room was so quiet that you could have heard a pin drop, which would have been a neat trick considering the fact that the floor was carpeted. Needless to say, I didn't know what to say or do after that. I sat thinking for a time, before I finally spoke, "First, I have a confession to make. When I selected Jenny and Aaron, George and SueAnn, Barb and Tina to see Rachael this morning I didn't just pick you six by chance."

"Of course you didn’t," Aaron stated. "Jenny told me Thursday night after she hugged you, she felt that there was something unique about you, something that she's never felt before."

"So Matilda," Christina asked, "what can we do for you?"

'Oh gee, what is it that makes everyone go goofy after they get to know me? I used to think that the whole world was just full of crazy people. Now I'm starting to think I'm the crazy one, and everyone knows it but me. Maybe it's something else, something that I haven't figured out yet. I hate being the last one to solve the mystery.'

"Well, um," deep breath, "to start with there's Rachael. I can't leave her lying in that hospital bed without a way to, at least keep her mind active. She used to read two or three books a month, and I'm not talking about simple children books. Then there were the puzzles, we would put together fifteen hundred piece puzzles. If we could find some with more pieces we’d beg Mom for them."

"What is it that you want to do, to help her," Misa asked,

"Well, I was thinking of some special remote control system, something that could be attached to her cast just below her wrists. That way she would be able to use all of her fingers on the keys. I don’t mean just something to control the TV with, too much of that will rot your brain. I'm talking about a wireless computer keyboard, linked to a computer in her room, along with some kind of pointing system that wouldn't need her to move more than a finger. Then she would be able to read e-books, do word puzzles, what ever else we can find that can be displayed on a computer screen. I was even thinking of adding a closed circuit TV system, so she could monitor and control small robots that would move around puzzle pieces."

Howard eventually broke the silence, "Well, you don't ask for small favors, do you?"

"How about if we just took turns reading to her," Vikk asked.

"No, Matilda is correct," Jenny explained. "Rachael is going to be in the hospital for a long time. We will not always have the extra time to go in and read to her. After all, we all have busy schedules. What is she to do while we are in class, or at choir practice?"

"Of course Matilda's right," George added. "It just sounds like a huge project."

"Actually it shouldn't be that big of a project," Aaron said, after thinking for a moment. "The wireless communication for the keyboard is the easy part. The hard part will be designing a totally different type of keypad, defining the placement of each key, the number of keys for each finger, perhaps even a small trackball for each thumb."

"Oh there's one other thing, the system needs to be debugged and operational before we leave for Toronto," I added.

“Now I know you’re crazy,” Walter exclaimed. “Something like this will take months to design, build, program and debug. And you want it done in six weeks?”

“Oh, I don’t expect to have a perfect system in six weeks. We should be able to come up with a workable proto-type by then, something that can be polished later. Who knows, this is something that we might be able to market after we graduate,” I explained, pointing out future possibilities.

With a slightly more realistic expectation to work with, several of the students started exchanging ideas. Before long, the room was buzzing with excitement. Everyone was adding their ideas, even though most of them hadn't met Rachael, everyone wanted to help in some way.

Jenny, who was still sitting next to me, whispered, "This is terrific, I have not seen each member of this year so excited about the same thing before. I want to thank you for helping them pull together so they can learn and work as a team. This however, is not the only thing that has you troubled, is it?"

"No Jenny, you're right about that. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about Bart, and well you're right about there being some things that I can't share with you."

"I understand Matilda. Just remember, there are no secrets between study partners. Also, Ellen can help you with your troubles."

I looked to my other side, at Mary Beth. Taking her hand I smiled, "We know about no secrets, don't we?"

"That's right, whatever Matilda knows I know, well mostly. I don't know how she does, what she does with computers. But, we share everything else."

"Speaking of sharing," I turned back to Jenny and continued softly, "after church several of us were talking. We heard from Tommy and Marilyn, from year D, that the teachers and psychiatrists get together each day during evening choir to discuss the students here. Everyone younger than Tommy and Marilyn seemed surprised by that. They hurried off to tell the others in their years. We didn't know if you guys knew, so we wanted to pass it on."

"Well, that is new information to me. Thank you for sharing that," Jenny whispered.

"Do you think we should tell the others?" Mary Beth asked.

"Well, there is not anything to be gained by telling them now versus later. Right now, they are all involved in trying to help Rachael. I think we should save this for another time,"

"Very well, we'll let you decide when the time is right," Mary Beth told her.

"Speaking of time, it's time for Mary Beth and me to start walking to choir practice."

"I do not understand, we have twenty minutes until practice, it is less than a ten minute walk." Jenny questioned.

"For everyone else that's true, but for Mary Beth it's at least fifteen minutes. That will only give her five minutes to rest before she has to stand and sing for the next two hours," I explained as we got up to leave.

We bid farewell, grabbed our coats and started for the theater. As soon as we were outside, I got out my PDA and started reading. Mary Beth did a great job of guiding me along the way, as I was totally involved in reading the movie script, from the Wizard of Oz. Fifteen minutes later, we arrived. Mary Beth went into the theater to rest, while I did a little resting of my own; or rather I took the opportunity to do a little communing with Mother Nature. My reading so far has turned up nothing, not even a clue as to a name for a girl munchkin.

Choir practice held no surprises, Christmas Carols for thirty minutes in English and ninety minutes in French. Afterwards everyone scurried back to their rooms to begin their transformations. I had only one more chance at finding a name, run the movie and hope to find something useful. I explained my idea to Mary Beth; she agreed and offered to help if she could.

We arrived at our building about five minutes behind everyone else. The year lounge was deserted; presumably, everyone was changing into their various costumes. Accessing the computer under the plasma screen, I discovered that I hadn't been authorized to use that system. I giggled as I got out my PDA.

"What's the matter?" Mary Beth asked.

"Oh, just a momentary setback, I haven't been set up as a user on this computer. It’ll just take a couple of minutes to create user accounts for us. Do you want to use your real name or should I create you an account using the nickname that Charles gave you?"

"Matilda, you ever mention that name to anyone around here and you'll be sleeping alone for a month!" she warned me.

“I’m just teasing. I know how you hate that name, so did Charles, that’s why he called you what he did. Anyway, I think your full middle name will be just perfect for this.”

“Just what is it you’re doing?”

“It’s really quite simple; I’m using my PDA to access the school’s main network. There I found a list of all the computer ID names; you know, judging from this list, there is a computer in everyone’s room except ours.”

“Geeee, I wonder why?” Mary Beth said very sarcastically, while looking at me with raised eyebrows.

I looked at her, smiled, and then shrugged my shoulders. “The next step is to access this computer through the network and set up two user accounts, Bethany and JamesTK.”

“Who on Earth is James T K?”

“Well he was from Earth, actually he was from Iowa. He didn’t spend much time on earth though, after he graduated from the academy.”

“The academy! What academy? Matilda would you please stop talking in riddles.”

“Star Fleet Academy of course.”

“Matilda, you’re not making sense.”

“It’s simple, a year and a half ago when I managed to get to the internet through the schools computer system I started chatting on-line. I needed a name to use, so I used my hero at the time, James T Kirk. I started chatting with someone who helped me a lot. They taught me a lot about the internet and how to work my way around computers.”

“So who is this mysterious teacher of yours?”

“I don’t know his name, actually I don’t know if it was a he or a she. The only thing I have is the name that they used on-line, ‘hhb303’. Ah, there we are, full access with administrator privileges. All we need to do now is find the list of available movies.”

It only took a couple of minutes to locate and scan through the movie directory. "DANG!"

"What's the matter?"

"With all the advanced technology that they have here, how can The Wizard of Oz not be part of their movie collection?"

"You mean it's not there?" Mary Beth asked, as she got up from a nearby couch to take a look.

Slowly I went through the entire directory again, on the off chance that it wasn't organized as I expected. "Now what do I do?"

"Well, nobody is here right now, but this lounge is too public a place for us to discuss this. Logout, and lets go to our rooms, together we'll come up with something."

"You're right," I mumbled as I followed her suggestion.

I was still trying, in vane, different search parameters through my PDA as Mary Beth guided me along. She was pulling me down, which I thought strange. It was then that I discovered we were in her room, on the couch.

Sadly, I put my arms around my friend and cried softly. I have access to everything on the net and I can't find what I need.

"Hey now, don't cry; it's only a name. Listen we'll just pick a name for my little Munchkin. Let's see, Munchkins are small and cute, so we need a name that's small and cute, how about Rosebud, Snapdragon, or just Flower?"

Sniffling, I giggled while I dried my eyes, "I can't use flower! That's the name of the skunk, in Bambi, how about Petunia?"

"No, it takes too long to pronounce."

"It's easier to pronounce than snapdragon."

"I guess you're right about that. What about Violet? It’s a small pretty flower, and easy to say."

"Violet, I like that, but my costume is mostly pink not violet."

"That’s okay; it will make it more amusing that way. Come on now, go to your room and get ready, my friendly little munchkin. I wish I had someone to put some makeup on me, Dorothy was older than I am."

"I suggest you send Ellen a note, and ask her if there's someone who could help you."

"That's a great idea. Now, get out of here so I can change."

I got up and went into my room, closing the door as I went. I was just about to enter my closet when I noticed that there was something in my room that wasn't there when I left this morning. On my desk sat a computer monitor, keyboard and mouse. I opened the cabinet to the right and as I suspected I found a mini-tower computer. On top of the monitor was a small package, wrapped in brown paper. I was too nervous to touch anything. While never taking my eyes off the computer, I went back to the interconnecting door and opened it slowly.

"Mary Beth," I called out. "Can you come into my room?"

"Matilda, close that door! I'm trying to get undressed."

"Mary Beth, I really need you to come into my room."

"Whatever it is, I'm sure it can wait until I'm dressed."

"Mary Beth NOW," I screamed. I've never screamed at Mary Beth before. Somehow, I knew what was in that small package, and why it and the computer had been put in my room. What scared me was the realization that this had been planned weeks ago.

"What is it Matilda? You sounded scared," Mary Beth came rushing to me, she was still in her dress but the zipper was part way down.

All I could do was point at the computer.

"Where on earth did that come from?"

I shook my head as I took her hand. I led her over and pointed out the package, then I sat down. Mary Beth opened the package. It was indeed what I suspected, a DVD. Not just any DVD mind you, it was ... 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Mary Beth joined me on the couch, "Matilda, what does this mean?"

"It means that someone, I don't know who yet, has something planned for this Munchkin. It also means that it has been weeks in the planning, possible longer. How long? I don't know, but long, since before you and I arrived here. All I'm sure of right now is, that I've got another mystery to solve."

"Well, at least the answer I got from Ellen, about someone to help with makeup, makes sense now."

"She replied already! What did she say?"

"She said that it was already arranged and that someone from year F would be here at quarter to six."

"That only gives us an hour to get ready and watch part of this movie. I need to review how Munchkins are supposed to act and maybe come up with a name."

"You're right, we better hurry. Oh, Matilda ... could I ask a favor?"

I smiled, for the first time in twenty minutes, "Of course I'll help you, just go slip some shorts on under your dress, and bring your Dorothy costume in here."

Mary Beth disappeared and I fired up the computer and opened the DVD. I had just selected the correct scene as she returned. Together we watched as Dorothy came out of her house, Glenda arrived, the Munchkins rejoiced at the death of the Wicked Witch of the East, screamed in terror and fled at the arrival of the Wicked Witch of the West, and finally they saw Dorothy on her way down the Yellow Brick Road. Through the entire scene, not one name was mentioned.

I ran it again as I helped Mary Beth change her clothes, then I went into my closet and changed into my munchkin costume. I was watching that section for the third time, learning how munchkins should act, when there was a knock at the door. I was paying particular attention to one munchkin; my costume appeared to be a duplicate of hers. Mary Beth answered the door, as I was involved.

"Um, … Hi?" Mary Beth's questionable greeting caught my attention.

I turned to see what was going on. What I saw standing outside my door, I assumed, were students dressed for the ball. The first was in an elegant gown, wig, and makeup. I recognized the character as 'Bell' from Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast'. The second ... I would have to say, creature; I also recognized, but haven't seen since Kirk and McCoy were imprisoned on Rura Penthe, I didn't think anyone at this school was that tall.

Attempting to get into the character of a munchkin, I jumped up from my chair screaming, ran around the coffee table and dove under the bed to hide.

"What's the matter with Matilda?" I heard someone ask.

"Oh, that's not Matilda, that's Violet," Mary Beth answered.

"Violet! Who's Violet?"

"I think the correct question is, what is Violet. The answer is a Munchkin of course, and Munchkins are afraid of just about everything." Mary Beth explained.

"Oh, well we've been asked to stop by and help with some makeup. I'll have a hard time doing anything with her, hiding under the bed." I heard some giggling, I was giggling as well.

"I’m afraid that she'll only come out if a 'Good Witch' tells her it's all right, are you a Good Witch, or a Bad Witch?"

"I'm not a witch, good or bad. I'm a princess."

"What about your ... Um ... Friend? Would he be a bad witch? According to Glenda, only bad witches are ugly."

'Gee its fun laying under my bed listening to them. Mary Beth makes a great Dorothy.’

"Oh, he isn't a witch. He is a big Brute and possibly considered ugly, by our standards. But he’s definitely not a witch."

It was during her last comment that I recognized Kimberley's voice. I giggled loudly, a high-pitched munchkin giggle.

"Perhaps you could persuade Violet to come out," Mary Beth suggested, with a giggle.

Shortly there after, the blankets were lifted and Bell peeked under. "Hello there little one ..."

"Oh, don't call her that," Mary Beth interrupted, "Call her Violet or munchkin. Munchkins may be small but they don't like being called ‘little one’."

"Thank you Dorothy. Violet, my name is Bell. It's all right, there aren't any witches around, you can come out now. No one here will hurt you." I inched forward, putting my hands into Kimberley's. She then pulled me out from under the bed.

After I was standing, I gave her a hug and thanked her using my best little girl voice, "Thank you kind lady." Seeing, whom I assumed to be Angel, I pretend to be scared again and tried to scurry away.

Kimberley, having a secure hold on my arm prevented my escape. "No, no, it's all right Violet, that's just a friend of mine. She's not going to hurt you."

I stopped fussing and looked up, and smiled, "Thank you for playing along Kimberley, I needed the practice."

"Aren't you taking this Munchkin thing just a bit too far?" she asked.

"Possible … but then again, perhaps not far enough," I answered cryptically.

"Well, from that response I'll assume that Mr. Peterson had a talk with you, today," Kimberley whispered in my ear.

I looked at her, wanting to ask a question, but remembering what Mr. Peterson said or rather didn't say, I didn't know who to talk with and who not to talk with. The best decision at this time was to say nothing. I just looked at her with a question in my eyes.

"Believe it or not Matilda, that was the correct response. Shall we get started on some makeup?" she asked with a smile.

"Sure, let me show you how I'd like to look. One of the munchkin’s here has a costume almost the same as this one." I cued up the DVD to the Munchkin that had the costume matching mine.

Kimberley did a great job, and soon I looked like I could have been the sister of the Munchkin on the screen. Then it was Mary Beth’s turn, and her transformation into Dorothy. Because of my little role playing it was about 6:20 before we were finished with makeup, so the four of us walked over together.

As we arrived at the hallway that led to the ballroom, Mary Beth and I were momentarily stunned by the lack of the usual illumination. In fact, the hall was almost completely dark. However, as Bell and ‘The Brute’ went down the hall, torches suddenly came on, alternating from one side to the other. I looked at Mary Beth, giggled and asked, “Are we still at Immigration Manor, or were we suddenly transported to Hogwarts?”

Kimberly turned around halfway, as we continued down the hall, "After the first 'Harry Potter' movie was released several of our students were so intrigued by the torches, they figured out how to make some that would work. Once they had a working prototype, we built a couple of dozen. We use them for special occasions, like tonight, also for weddings, graduations, things like that."

"Weddings, whose weddings?" Mary Beth asked.

"Ask me that question some other time. Violet, shouldn't you be getting into character about now. A single munchkin should be terrified going down a hall like this."

She was right of course. As the next torch ignited, I scurried around the back of Mary Beth, hiding behind her from the light of the torch. The next torch came on and I scurried back around to her other side. That’s how it went as we made our way down the hall, torches coming on and me scurrying back and forth trying to escape them. As we approached the end of the hall two torches came on, one on each end of a coffin, which then started to open revealing a skeleton that was sitting up. Thinking that I needed a better hiding place I darted up next to Bell, her dress was fuller and thereby provided a better hiding place.

“Easy there Violet, I’ll be very upset if you pulled my dress off,” Kimberly said with a giggle. “I think this hall is a bit scary for someone like you.”

Suddenly, two torches next to me ignited and another coffin was revealed. With few options, I ran around to the other side of The Brute. Looking up, I screamed and ran back to be hugged by Mary Beth, as she knelt down to catch me in her arms.

“Easy now my jittery munchkin, nothing here will hurt you. Just relax and stay with me, Dorothy will take care of you, like I have for years.”

‘I think The Brute was laughing at me, but I wasn’t sure, I know that Kimberly was giggling at the way I ran around acting scared. I have to admit that this is really lots of fun, pretending to be scared. The only time I’ve ever been really scared was when dad was mad at me because I was wearing pink underwear. Gee, that seems like such a long time ago, so many things have happened since then. If Dad could only see me now, dressed as a darling little munchkin and going to the Halloween Ball. On second thought, I’m glad that Dad’s not here and if I have anything to say about it, I’ll never see dear old Dad again.’ … ‘Now that is an evil little thought, I wonder where it came from? I’m not sure, but it’s something to think about, what would Bart look like in a cute pink ruffled dress?’

While I was lost in thought, Mary Beth guided me to the end of the hall and the double doors that automatically opened, revealing the brightly lit Ballroom. I was momentarily blinded due to the contrast in lighting. As my vision came back, I took a quick look around, old habits die hard.

Just inside the door, where Miss Adams desk once stood, was a reception table. Standing behind the reception table stood Professor Albus Dumbledore, well at least someone wearing a costume that resembled Dumbledore. My guess was that it was Mr. Peterson; you know Principal of one school, Headmaster of another. In the corner opposite the reception table, a small stage had been erected and ... well I guess it was the Cantina band from 'Star Wars' that was playing. The randomly spaced chairs had become a continuous row of chairs down both long walls of the ballroom. At the far end of the room they’d set up about eight tables for sitting at while eating. Finally against the far wall were the buffet tables. When Miss Adams was teaching me to walk, stand and sit, this room seemed huge. With all the students and some of the staff in here, it seems very small.

“Welcome my young friends,” Dumbledore welcomed us, with his deep British accent. “Would you please step forward to sign our guest register, also please fill out a nametag. We do want everyone to know who you are, don’t we? Please use your character’s name.”

As we approached the table, I hid behind Mary Beth.

“Welcome young lady,” Dumbledore addressed Mary Beth. Peaking over her shoulder, he winked at me. “Who is your small friend?”

I tugged on Mary Beth’s sleeve, she bent down and I whispered in her ear.

“This is my friend Violet,” Dorothy explained. “She’s a munchkin and right now she’s a little nervous. She wants to know if you are a good witch or a bad witch.”

Dumbledore laughed before answering, “First off, I’m a wizard not a witch. Secondly, I’m a very good wizard, and third I recognized her immediately as a munchkin. However, it has been some time since I’ve been to see my friend the Wizard of Oz.” He then turned to address Mary Beth. “Do keep a close eye on her; there are a few … evil spirits out tonight. Also be mindful of our cook; someone that small might end up on tomorrows menu.”

“Oh good wizard, you are joking, aren’t you?” I asked timidly.

“About the cook? Of course, I’m joking. He only goes after small creatures with four legs. About the evil spirits, well … one never knows about them.”

“Kind wizard,” Mary Beth asked, “can we call on you if we need help driving away the evil spirits?”

“Of course young one,” he reached into the pocked of his robe and handed Dorothy a small capsule. “Take this, if you need me, place this on the floor and crush it with your shoe. It will produce a small cloud of harmless white smoke.”

“Oh thank you,” she said, taking the capsule and carefully placing it in her pocket. We wrote our character names on nametags and stuck them on, then we registered ourselves on the PDA that was provided, costume / character name, and student name. I was the last to enter my data, as I set the PDA back on the table it beeped six times, Dumbledore then picked it up and placed it in his pocket.

We said so long to Bell and The Brute. Mary Beth and I tried to make our way to the buffet table, after all that running around I needed a drink. We were also looking for the others from year A. We didn’t notice that Dumbledore had moved, until the band stopped playing and he thumped his staff on the stage three times to get everyone’s attention.

“Ladies and gentlemen, spooks and goblins, creatures mortal and immortal, from Earth and from across the universe, I bid you welcome to our Halloween Ball. Now that all of our students are here along with a few special guests, I want to remind everyone that the costume voting will conclude promptly at 8:30. As usual, the categories are listed on your PDA’s, this year we have add an additional contest, a matching game, match the character with the student. The awards will be presented at 10:00. Everyone, have fun.”

I pulled out my PDA to look at the categories when I noticed someone talking with Dumbledore; I believe it was Frankenstein’s Monster. Where that in itself wasn’t odd, the fact that he was pointing at me, was just a bit peculiar and made me just a little nervous.

We managed to make our way through the mass of … humanity, knowing that underneath the assorted costumes everyone here was human, I think. I noticed several year A students at one of the tables and planned to join them after getting a drink. On one end of the buffet tables were three large punch bowls, each had a different color liquid, all three were bubbling and had layer of fog on top, overflowing onto the table below. Giving the labels on the plaques in front of each, and knowing the file I found earlier, I thought some fun could be had.

I looked at Mary Beth, and she looked at me, “You first,” she told me.

“But I thought you were the adventurous one,” I shot back.

“Where’s Jeffery when you need him?” she said, shaking her head.

“Are you telling me that you would use your little brother as your food tester?”

She just looked at me, smiled, and shrugged her shoulders. Oh well, I guess its up to me, what’s the line from Wrath of Khan … oh yes ‘For everything there is a first time’. I picked up a cup and the dipper from the bowl with the brown liquid, the label read ‘Scottish Bog’. Boldly filling my cup, I blew away the mist and cautiously sniffed at it. It smelled sweet and almost recognizable, so I slowly brought the cup to my lips and I took a sip.

Mary Beth was watching this process carefully, holding her breath. I started giggling and she looked like she was going to pop.

“As I suspected, its root beer,” I giggled.

As Dorothy started to fill her cup I heard laughing, I’d forgotten about the others. Turning I confirmed my suspicion, they were laughing at us. I nudged Mary Beth, indicating that we were the current center of amusement. We both started laughing as we went to join our friends.

"So, what's so funny?" Mary Beth asked, as we sat down.

"Just the game you two played, selecting your drink," Tina giggled.

"With the names underneath, we weren't quite sure what to expect," Mary Beth confessed.

"If you two are feeling a little adventurous, you should try the Blood Wine," Peggy teased.

"Or perhaps the Vampires Blood," added Misa. "I hear it's very good."

"We weren't that amusing, were we?" I quizzed.

"To be honest ... no. Year C laughed at us a lot more, than we laughed at you. So I guess we provided better entertainment," Barb conceded.

"Well, I may be the smallest one here, but at least now I know that I’m not the funniest. Have any of you been gutsy enough to try the food yet?"

"Well, according to the guys in the goofy red and black uniforms, the Gagh isn't very good, they were complaining about it being dead and actually cooked. They did say that the Blood Pie was very good," Morgan informed us.

Looking around I quickly discovered who Morgan was referring to. It seems we have a small contingent of Star Fleet officers attending. Morgan is definitely not on the trekkie roster.

It was about that time that someone came up behind me, squeezing my shoulders. “Ah, Mademoiselle, um … Violet, it is a pleasure do see you again. Pear’aps, after you ave had your dinnair you would accept an invitation, and do me zhe onair of dancing with me.”

I recognized the voice instantly; looking at the nametag, ‘Claude Monet’, and costume, a long and very scruffy beard with mustache, a beret and a shirt with billowy sleeves; I was momentarily confused. “Monsieur Monett’ I’m afraid you have me at a disadvantage.”

“Mademoiselle, ave I changed so much since we last danced zhe afternoon away. By zhe way, it is pronounced Monaa’.”

“Ah, that would be Monet the artist; yes I remember dancing with you, let’s see that was the summer of 1900 wasn’t it?” I teasingly giggled.

“Wee, it was a small place in zhe north of France. Zhere was a beautiful view of zhe English Channel; we danced until you add do go ome with your beautiful mother.”

“And you my dear Claude, still, have a silver tongue. Of course, I’ll dance with you, but you will permit some time for me to dine before you wear out my little toes,” I giggled.

“As you wish Mademoiselle, I will look for you at zhirty minutes past zhe hour of nine, and we will dance until zhe awards are announced,” with that he bowed and kissed my hand before he left.

“Who was that?” Tina asked.

I smiled at her as I started tapping keys on my PDA.

“Well, who is it?” asked Misa.

“Ask me that question again, after the awards are announced. Right now, I’m trying to remember which costume everyone is wearing. I’ve talked with so many people over the last three days, most of them told me what they intended to be wearing. If I can remember everything then I’ll get an award from something besides ‘The Easiest to Recognize’,” I giggled.

“Did you know they were going to have this contest?” Peggy asked.

“I wouldn’t have told everyone what I planned on wearing if I had known,” Deanna complained.

“We didn’t know anything about it,” Mary Beth proclaimed. “We just thought it would be a fun little secret for a couple of days.”

“Of course we didn’t know,” I added. I was starting to feel just a little guilty, as if I was betraying the others in our year by not helping them. “The first we heard about it was when Mr. P … um, Dumbledore announced it. If you really want me to …”

“Hold it, hold it,” interrupted Misa. “First off, this isn’t a team competition, so you guys lay off.” Then she put her arm around me. “Secondly, if anyone had a question about this Munchkin being part of the Black Sheep, it has just been answered.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

"You were willingly going to share the information you have with everyone here. That's called 'self sacrifice', giving of yourself for the benefit of others," Misa explained.

“Matilda, when the rest of us started here, it took most of us several weeks before we started trusting our study partner,” Barb started. “It was several months before we started to care about anyone, besides ourselves.”

“You and Mary Beth are so far ahead of us, when it comes to caring for one another and acting as a team, it’s almost embarrassing,” Morgan added.

No one spoke for several moments before Tina quietly asked, “You wouldn’t like to share your other secret, would you?”

“What secret?” I asked.

“Getting Mr. Peterson to be nice to you, according to the grape vine, he talked with the two of you today before lunch,” Barb said softly.

“Yea, the only time he’s talked with us is the first day when he welcomed us here,” Tina added. "Well, if you don’t count the number of times we’ve been in trouble for something.”

I looked at Mary Beth and she looked at me. We both knew we couldn’t discuss most of the conversation that we’d had with Mr. Peterson.

‘I wonder how they heard that Mr. Peterson had talked with us. There wasn’t anyone else in the cafeteria while we were talking. I guess it’s possible that someone saw us through one of the doors, but who? Why would anyone care about us talking with Mr. Peterson … ?’

“Hee, hee, hee, hee, there you are my fine little pretty,” cackled a Wicked Witch. Going back into munchkin mode, I screamed and slid off my chair and under the table, scooting as far away from the witch as I could. It’s a good thing I’m small or that maneuver wouldn’t have worked very well. “What did you do my little pretty, trade in your mongrel dog for a cowardly little munchkin? Not a very good trade, I’d say. There’s too many people here for me to deal with you as I’d like. Don’t worry, I’ll catch up with you later my dear, you and your mongrel munchkin. Mongrel munchkin that’s a good one, eeeiah haw, haw, haw.” With that, she disappeared into the group of students.

“It’s all right Violet, she’s gone. You can come out now,” Mary Beth assured me, bending over to offer me a hand and a smile.

“How’d I do?” I whispered. She responded with a smile and a wink.

“What on earth was that all about?” Morgan asked.

“What was all what, about?” Mary Beth asked, as I was hugging her arm and looking around to see if it was safe. I caught sight of the Frankenstein’s Monster halfway across the room; he was looking at me oddly. I think he was smiling.

“What was the screaming and hiding under the table about?” Barb asked.

“Oh that … nothing really, Violet is after all a munchkin. As you know, munchkins are afraid of Wicked Witches, sudden surprises, and just about anything that's scary.” Mary Beth explained.

“Well, I grant you that Deborah’s witch costume is a bit realistic, it isn’t really that scary,” Morgan stated.

Just then Jenny appeared, as if out of nowhere, “I heard a scream, is everything alright?”

“Our little munchkin was scared by Deborah’s witch costume,” Misa explained.

Misa moved and Jenny sat next to me, holding out her arms to me. I looked up at Dorothy and she nodded so I moved over to Jenny. I felt a calming affect as she put her arms around me. A few moments later she dropped her head and whispered in my ear, “I see you weren’t really scared, were you?”

I ever so slightly shook my head.

“Is it something you care to talk with me about?” Jenny asked.

Again, I shook my head.

“I understand. If I can help you, you will let me know?”

I smiled and nodded. Jenny released me and I went back to the chair I’d previously occupied.

“Well now,” Jenny addressed all those around, “who is ready for dinner?”

Jenny’s question seemed to have shocked everyone. They sat for a few moments, as if stunned.

‘I suppose they were expecting more information, or an explanation, more something?’

Eventually the others got up to get their dinner. I asked Jenny if we could talk for a minute. Mary Beth asked if I wanted her to stay. I told her to go ahead and get her dinner; we'd be along in a couple of minutes.

"Jenny, can you tell me a little more about your rather unique ability."

"Sure, what do you want to know?"

"Well, just what is it you do? I mean, do you read minds?'

"Oh no, nothing like that. I can somehow sense others feelings. Kind of like how some animals can sense fear."

"So can you sense what I'm feeling now?" I was becoming a little nervous.

"Oh no! It doesn't work like that. I have to clear my mind so I'm more open and receptive. I also have to physically touch the person."

"But earlier today, in the lounge, you seemed to be somehow ... oh I don't know ... reading me. Everything you said was correct."

"It was? Well what do you know about that! As I was talking, I felt your emotions changing rapidly. I sort-of ... put words to what I was sensing. No one has ever come back and told me that I've read them accurately."

"Hum ... that's interesting. Jenny, there's one other thing; when you put your arms around me I felt something. Is there something that you do? Something you can control?"

"What?" Jenny was surprised by my question. "I didn't do anything different. What did you feel?"

"I'm not real sure; it was more of a feeling that came over me, something that helped me to feel calm and relaxed."

"That’s what I sensed, you were calm and relaxed, so I guessed you weren't scared. Matilda, how did you feel before I hugged you?"

"Well, I guess I was nervous and a little scared, there was someone watching me, watching how I reacted to Deborah's witch costume."

"Who was watching you?"

'Oops, I think I may have said too much. I can't tell her about the talk I had with Mr. Peterson. I really don't think I should tell her about someone in the Frankenstein’s Monster costume that has been watching me and talking with Dumbledore. How am I going to get out of this one?'

Just then, the others started coming back to the table. 'Saved by the dinner bell.' "Jenny, Lets go get our dinner." As Jenny and I left the table, most of year A was sitting around the same, long, banquet table.

Something I thought odd; they took a long time at the buffet tables, but came back with very little on their plates. Dinner was … shall we say, unusual. The posted names for each item were uniquely descriptive of things one might find in a dungeon, though not necessarily from the planet Earth. When I took a careful look at the buffet, along with the names associated with each selection, I had to chuckle. Being that I’ve always been adventurous when it comes to different foods, and realizing that they wouldn't serve anything dangerous; Along with the fact that while I was browsing the schools network I ran across the menu for tonight's buffet. There was also a request for me to keep the information to myself, so I thought I’d try a little of everything and see what kind of reaction I'd get.

"What on earth are you doing?" Misa asked, as I set down my plate along with a cup of soup.

I smiled sarcastically, as I shrugged my shoulders, "Preparing to enjoy my dinner."

"Someone better get in touch with Ellen, Matilda is trying to commit suicide, via food poisoning," Deanna exclaimed.

“Oh come on you guys, nothing here can be dangerous,” I replied.

“I don’t know about that. You start mixing those, those … THINGS together in your stomach and who knows what sort of chemical reaction you're going to get,” Barb cautioned.

"Oh come on, enough with the heckling already. They just dressed everything up a bit and gave them strange names so they would look different for Halloween," I stated, hoping I hadn't said too much.

"Different is right," Mary Beth agreed, as she examined my selections. "What is that slimy looking red stuff?"

"What, you mean the Small Intestine Surprise?" I asked as I stuck in my fork, bringing a small portion to my nose. "It doesn't smell bad; in fact it smells like ... mayonnaise." Cautiously I sampled, "Yep, mayonnaise, macaroni, there's something else ... I can't quite make out." After consuming a second fork full, I figured it out. "That's it, the flavor I couldn't make out before is shrimp. It’s Macaroni salad with shrimp."

"But why's it red?" she asked.

"They probably just added some food coloring."

"All right, but what about that huge green ... thing," Peggy asked, making a face that showed her disgust at the thought of eating something like that.

Changing my focus, I picked up the Baked Alligator Tongue, I held it out towards Peggy. "Is this what you're talking about?"

"EEEW YES!" Peggy squealed. "Why would you even consider eaten something that looks like that?"

I giggled as I took a butter knife and started cutting it in half. "EEEW, YUCK!" I heard from different directions. As I finished cutting the alligator tongue, I spread a blue substance, which tasted like mayonnaise, on each half then add some slices of the Rigellian Blood Worms, along with some of the Terellian pheasant. Placing the top half of the tongue, on top of everything else, I prepared to take a bite. This brought more screaming and squeals from my friends.

I smiled, as I was enjoying my rather un-earthly sub sandwich. "I usually add Swiss cheese to my Ham and Turkey sandwiches, but couldn't find any."

"Sandwich?"

"Ham?"

“Turkey?”

I started laughing, as did most of the crowd of older students that had gathered, due to the squeals from the others.

"Of course a sandwich," someone called loudly, from somewhere behind me.

"You do know what a sandwich is, don't you?" someone from a different part the crowd called out.

"So you're telling us that green stuff is some kind of bread?" Tina asked.

"Actually, it’s a hoagie bun," I told her.

"Well, what about the other stuff, the 'Gagh' and the 'Barf'?" Barbara asked.

"French Fries," someone called out.

"And the barf is chili," someone else answered.

"What about the Baked Horta, the cream of baby octopus, and the diced brains?"

I replied before anyone else, "Roast Beef, Clam Chowder, and Cauliflower. I'm surprised at you guys, none of you had a problem with the drinks, but you did with the food."

"Someone told us what the drinks were," Walter confessed.

"Matilda, how did you know what everything was?" Morgan asked.

With half the school’s student body standing around, I was rather reluctant to admit to having penetrated the schools computer system. All I could manage was to stutter, “Well, I … um, I just …”

"Mademoiselle Matilda, you did not do vhat I zhink you did, … did you?" Joseph asked from behind me, sounding shocked that I might have done what he suspected.

"Matilda, how did you know about the food?" Jenny asked after I didn't reply to Joseph. Then taking my hand she asked, "What exactly did you do?"

"I … I … I didn't do nothing," I replied timidly, worried about what might happen if everyone knew about all of my network activities.

"Zhat means zhat you did somezhing. You must vatch your use of zhe double negatives,” Joseph explained. Dropping the character of Joseph, Beca addressed me once again as my big sister. “Now Matilda, it's time to tell the truth. Did you do what I think you did?"

"Yes I … I guess I did" I mumbled with a sigh.

"Oh my goodness, I thought they were exaggerating when they told me never to leave you alone during your girl 101 and 102 training."

"Matilda, now we all know you did something, what I want to know is what did you do?” Aaron commanded. “The sooner you tell us, the sooner we can eat."

"I found the information on one of the servers," I shyly confessed. "Well, that is ... this afternoon while I was in the schools network, I found the menu along with the cross reference that explained what the actual foods were."

"And you did not think that this information would be of benefit to the rest of us?" Jenny asked. I could tell that she felt betrayed, from the tone of her voice.

"I'm sorry, but attached to the menu there was a note, addressed to me personally. It requested that I not share that information with anyone."

"Yea, it’s about time the hecklers were on the receiving end," someone in the crowd called out, followed by cheers and applause from the surrounding crowd.

"That will be enough!" Dumbledore called out loudly as he made his way through the crowd. "I thought this school had put an end to these childish pranks months ago. I see that another example might be required. Matilda, you say there was a note requesting your silence. Was the note signed?"

I got out my PDA to show Dumbledore the note. "Yes it was! That's why I did as it asked. But with everything that’s just happened, I don't think Mr. Peterson wrote the note." As I worked my way back into the menu for tonight's buffet, I noticed that the crowd surrounding our table had all but disappeared. I was just a little surprised to find the item at the bottom of the menu, 'Matilda - read this', had been removed.

"Hmm, the link to the actual note has been removed. I'm sorry but I didn't pay attention to where the link pointed."

"That's all right my dear, we have ways of finding the information we want. I believe you are to attend your French lesson tomorrow from 10:00 until 11:30. Please see RJ immediately after your French lesson." Dumbledore then turned around and disappeared.

"I guess the joke is on us, this time," SueAnn moaned.

"Yes, but the good news is that it wasn't because of something we did, so we're not going to suffer the consequences," George added.

"Well, now that we know the food isn't going to kill us, who's hungry?" Aaron asked. There was a momentary pause before everyone started to leave the table to get some dinner. As they were returning, I was pleased to see food on their plates.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized to everyone, again, “there really was a note asking me not to say anything.”

“Of course, there was a note,” Misa said offering her support.

"Matilda, we've only known you for a few days," Aaron explained, "but in that short amount of time we've come to know and trust you."

"The only thing to do now is help RJ find out who wrote the note. Mr. Peterson will take care of the rest," Abigail added.

"But, why me? I mean there must be other students here that are better at computers than I am," I timidly asked.

"Matilda, my specialty is Computer Systems," Aaron started explaining, "George's specialty is Network Systems. We have special classes, along with the specialists from the other years, which teach us about those systems. To my knowledge, nobody has done what you’ve done. Nobody has ever cracked the system using a PDA."

I stared at Aaron, for what seemed the longest time, not knowing what to say. Eventually, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Mary Beth smiling at me. It took a lot of effort on my part to not start crying.

"I need some desert," I mumbled, as I pushed my chair back and headed for the buffet. I didn't care about any desert, I just needed to get away. I stood in front of the deserts, an empty plate in my hands, and started softly crying.

'What is it about me? Why do I do things that others can't? How do I do the things I do? Why can't I just be like everyone else? And … do I really want answers to these questions?'

After a while, I felt some hands on my shoulders. I wasn't sure I wanted to see anyone right then, a few more moments passed before I turned my head to see Kimberley's smiling face. "Well now, my little Munchkin, you've had an eventful evening."

I nodded, as I wiped my eyes and nose.

"Why don't you come with me and I'll fix your makeup."

I looked back towards the table, seeing Mary Beth's smiling face and her nodding, I accepted Kimberley's offer and we silently made a discreet exit and went into the nearest restroom.

"Feeling better?" Kimberley asked, as I emerged from a stall.

I shrugged my shoulders ... eventually giving a little nod.

"So tell me, what happened to cause all these tears?" she asked, as she knelt down to redo my face.

"Well ... um ... I don't know if I can talk about it with you?"

"Really? If you'd like, I can arrange for Ellen to come see you."

"I don't even know if I can talk with her about everything that's been going on," I sadly replied.

"Well now, if you can't talk to your psychiatrist, just who do you think you can talk to?"

"I'd like to talk with Mr. Peterson, ask him some questions, but the last time he talked with Mary Beth and me we were both confused. Wait a second, how did you know that Ellen is my psychiatrist?"

"Let’s just say that I know a little bit more about Immigration Manor than most of the students here. It was Mr. Peterson who asked me to help you and Mary Beth with your makeup. He also asked me to keep an eye on you tonight."

"Now I'm more confused than I was earlier today."

"Matilda, don't let a little confusion upset you. Believe me; I know exactly how you feel. I had, pretty much the same thing happen to me when I started here, six years ago."

I almost couldn't believe what my ears had just told me.

'What is it that really goes on here? Who really runs this school? Why did they organize a school for children like me? Is there something special about having Gender Dysphoria that makes us a threat to normal schools? Maybe having Gender Dysphoria makes us smarter than most children our age. I wonder if that's why they built a school like this, to help us grow and develop to our full potential. I wonder what will happen to us after we graduate? So many questions, so many new puzzle pieces. If only I could put them on paper, then perhaps Rachael could help me put this puzzle together. If Kimberley has been through the same things, perhaps she is someone I can talk to about what's been going on; about ...'

"There you are Violet, good as new. You're obviously feeling better, shall we go back in?" Kimberley smiled, as she finished my makeup for the second time.

I replied, in my sweetest little munchkin voice, "Thank you so very much Miss Bell. I'm sure the great Wizard of Oz will reward you for your kindness." We both giggled at that.

"That's my little munchkin, back into character. I know that someone is expecting to see a Munchkin, not a little girl."

I looked into Kimberley's eyes;

'Oh good heavens, enough already, what is this munchkin thing all about. Can't I just hide in the restroom until tonight is over? I suppose not.’

“Aren’t the other students going to think I’m crazy? You know acting like a munchkin, not just someone that’s dressed as one for a Halloween party.”

“Well, some from year A might think it’s a little odd. Everyone else has learned over the years, not to ask too many questions. There’s always something strange going on around here.”

I took a deep breath and smiled, "Oh Miss Bell, thank you so much for helping me. Glenda will be so pleased that you are looking out for one of her Munchkins."

Just before we went through the door, Kimberley stopped, knelt down, and whispered in my ear, "Matilda, if things get out of hand, if anything happens to make you uncomfortable or scared, you can come to me or go to Dumbledore. I'll try to stay close by, in case you need me, understand?"

"Thank you, I think I understand," I smiled and gently hugged her. Then we went back in.

Mary Beth was still sitting at the table, as we entered the ballroom; she smiled as our eyes met. She got up and met us halfway, "Feeling better?"

"I’ll see you later, Violet," Kimberley said, as she patted my shoulder. "Dorothy, you take good care of our little munchkin."

"You bet I will," Mary Beth answered with a smile, gently taking hold of my arm.

"Thank you for your kindness, Miss Bell," I tried to curtsey, no easy task with Mary Beth holding on to my arm.

"Well now Violet, should we get us some desert? You were somewhat distracted earlier."

"Oh yes, thank you Miss Dorothy. That will be very nice," I giggle, staying in character.

The rest of the evening went very well. Mary Beth and I had lots of fun talking with everyone, well everyone that appeared friendly that is, we also danced a little. Someone got the band to play 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' so naturally we sang along, as we danced around the floor, weaving in and out around the different groups of students. By the time the song finished, we had about a third of the school singing and dancing with us.

We took some time to cast our votes for the best costume and the other categories. As for the matching contest; I did my best, but I really didn't think I did very well, considering I'd only been there three days.

About 9:30 Claude Monet appeared, reminding me of our date.

'Wait a minute, I'm only ten. That's way too young to be dating. On the other hand, this is a school dance, so it’s not really a date. After all, it’s only Joseph dressed as Claude Monet, which is really Beca, dressed as Joseph, dressed as Claude Monet. Uh, oh, I think I'm starting to confuse myself again!'

We danced for a while, talking about nothing in particular, how I was getting on with the others in year A? How I liked the school? How did I get into the schools network, with an out dated PDA?

"What do you mean, out dated?" I asked.

"Vell, you did start about five months into zhe school year, vhich vas unexpected. Zhey updated all zhe PDA'S about zhis time last year. You and Mary Beth were issued two of zhe old model PDA'S. RJ is zhe only one who can register zhe newer PDA'S on zhe network, vhich he did last June for all zhe new students."

"I don't know if I should feel upset about this or not," I teased.

"Vhat ever do you mean?"

"I don't mean anything," I giggled. "I'm teasing you again."

"Oh, Mademoiselle Violet, you are such zhe kidder. After everyzhing zhat aas aappened do you and you can still make vith zhe jokes. Vhat ever shall ve do vith you?"

I stood there, looking into the eyes of my mentor, my teacher, and my friend. A single tear formed in the corner of each eye as I remembered everything we've been through together. A single, three word, sentence was all that came to mind, all I could utter, "A hug works."

Beca smiled and held out her arms. We were hugging as friends do. We were suddenly interrupted by the sound of Dumbledore's staff striking the stage, three times, calling for everyone’s attention.

"Gather round everyone, gather round. Time has come to announce the winners of the costume competition, but first, I have an announcement and a complement. The complement is to you all. You've all done an excellent job with your costumes, the staff, as well as myself, are pleased with all of you. Now for the announcement; the first night of our stay in Quebec, there is a Masquerade Ball, and we have been invited to attend this event. We have, naturally, accepted this invitation. This, of course, means that each of you will need to retain your costumes, so you'll have them when it comes time to pack for the trip. Now, this isn't a Halloween Ball, so those of you with the more ghoulish costumes, may wish to consider selecting something different. If any of you have questions or concerns, you are invited to contact Mr. Peterson; I believe he has something to do with this school."

The last statement brought forth lots of chuckling, as well as a few silly comments.

Raising his hand, calling the assembly to order, "Quiet please, quiet now, so that we may continue ... Thank you. To present our first awards, we have some special guests, please welcome Joan of Arc and Albert Einstein."

The background chatter instantly stopped. All eyes were focused on Dumbledore, waiting for a confirmation of what they'd just heard. I got out my PDA, checking again the list of registered guests, confirming that I hadn't seen either of those names on the guest list. Of course, that only means that they weren't participating in the contests.

As everyone moved a little closer to the stage, Kimberley showed up next to me; for some yet to be discovered reason. Being that she was there, I thought I'd take advantage of the situation. I tugged on her sleeve and motioned for her to lean down, whispering I asked, "Who are they?"

"I'm not sure, although nobody has used those characters since Shelly and Rod left two years ago. They used those costumes, four years in a row."

"Who are Shelly and Rod?"

"They were the year leaders of their year. No one has heard from them since they graduated two years ago. I wonder why they were invited to be here. I’ve only seen students return once before, that was just before a field trip," Kimberly rambled, as she again stood erect.

'I wonder indeed? What I wonder is, does their being here have anything to do with the conversation Mary Beth and I DIDN'T have with Mr. Peterson, and the plans that someone has for an innocent little Munchkin. I guess I’d better stay in character.'

"Welcome back my friends, welcome back," Dumbledore exclaimed as they entered through a door I hadn't noticed before. "It's certainly a pleasure to see you both again."

Joan hugged Dumbledore and spoke in French. Dumbledore and Albert shook hands, as old friends would, as he spoke in German. “Welcome my friends, but you do remember the old saying ‘When in Rome …’. This is America, if you wouldn’t mind, English please.”

“As you wish Professor, it is indeed a pleasure to return here and see you all again,” Albert smiled.

”Yes indeed, it gives one a genuinely warm feeling to be among old friends,” Joan agreed.

"Thank you, both, for joining us this evening. Shall we push on?" Dumbledore asked, as he offered a PDA to Albert. Joan, being a little faster, snatched it out of Dumbledore's hand. She turned to Albert, while giggling said something in French.

"Of course my dear, if you really want to. You know, I can't deny you the things that make you happy," Albert told Joan. “It seems we have another divergence from tradition. It appears that Joan wishes to do a little mingling this evening, so instead of calling out names, Joan is going to wonder among you and invite several of you to join us on stage. After she has everyone on stage, we'll tell you why each one is here." Turning to Joan, "I recommend only three or four at a time, this is a small stage."

As Joan left the stage, I felt a little uneasy for some reason. I slowly rotated to see if I could determine the reason for my uneasy feelings. To my left was Mary Beth, behind her were two Star Fleet officers - one Admiral and one Captain. Kimberley was on my right with The Brute behind her. As I continued to scan the crowd, I noticed Frankenstein’s Monster by the registration table. I wasn't sure, but I thought I saw the top of a witches hat halfway down the room, in the other direction. I wasn't sure if that was why I felt uneasy, but at the time, it was all I saw.

In the meantime, Joan was making her way around the room, sending people to the stage. She smiled at me and even patted my head as she passed by. Soon she'd collected The Brute, Mary Poppins, Dracula, and Lady Godiva.

"Well my dear," Albert commented, as Joan returned to the stage, "this is quite the assortment of, um, guests. Would you like to explain why you selected each one?"

"Oh but of course, and in keeping vith proper etiquette, ve will start with zhe ladies." Moving to stand next to Lady Godiva. "Here ve have Lady Godiva, vife of zhe Earl of Mercia, she rode naked to free zhe people of Coventry England of zhe oppressive zaxes imposed by aer uusband. According zo our records zhis is zhe first time zhat Lady Godiva aas appeared at one of our Halloween festivities. Zherefore zhe award for zhe most original costume goes to Suzanne."

Suzanne bows, discretely, keeping her hair in place, to a round of applause. Joan gave Suzanne a hug of congratulations, before she left the stage.

"Our next award, 'Zhe Hardest to Recognize Student,' or zhe 'I have no clue hoo zhat is!' award. May I present Zhe Brute, from Rura Penthe, and zhe lovely lady receiving zhis award, Angelina, although she doesn't look much like an Angel zonight."

Angel reached up with both hands and removes a rubber mask, revealing her identity, while everyone applauded.

"So much for zhe ladies of zhis group," Joan continued. "Our next award goes to a young man who enjoys freely moving from Mars to Venus and back. A master, or is it zhe mistress, at zhe art of being someone you are not. I present Darryl, zhis years winner of zhe 'Best fictional character,' as Mary Poppins."

Darryl curtsied and blew kisses to everyone as he left the stage.

"Vhat Halloween party would be complete vithout an appearance from zhe prince of darkness, Dracula. Zhis years award for zhe 'Easiest do recognize character' is Grant."

'I'm not sure how Grant did it but his eyes were actually glowing red.' Remembering that I should act as a munchkin, I squealed and hid behind Kimberley, as Dracula passed by.
"Well now," Albert addressed Joan, as the applause died down, "you seem to have run out of recipients."

"Oow did zhat aappen? Zhings were going so vell, zhen suddenly zhey vere gone," Joan sadly replied.

"Well my dear, are there anymore awards to be made?"

"Oh yes indeed, lots more. Vould you like zhe honor of making zhe invitations, or shall I continue?" Joan asked, however she made no indication that she was willing to release control of the PDA. She didn't even wait for Albert to reply, before she hopped of the stage and disappeared.

Chuckling Albert replied, "Obviously you're having too much fun presenting the invitations, please continue."

Moments later, selected individuals started making there way towards the stage. The first to arrive was a creature that I vaguely remember, but just couldn't quite place. From the circular mouth opening with fangs, to the three appendages with suction cups on each hand, I knew that as a munchkin, I should stay as far away from that creature as I could. The creature was followed by Abraham Lincoln, a Samurai with a sword, and a Musketeer with a foil. Even though, as Matilda, I knew that the Samurai was really Misa, being that she and the Musketeer were armed, as a munchkin I started backing away from the stage trying to hide behind Mary Beth and Kimberley.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, Joan appeared. Kneeling in front of me, smiling, "Aave I zhe pleasure of addressing Violet zhe munchkin?"

"Yes Miss Joan. My name is Violet," I timidly replied.

"Ah good, I aave been looking all over zhe place for you. You are zhe last one on my list. Would you like do come with me? Up, on zhe stage." She held out her hand.

"You want me to go up there? To be captured by the servants of a Wicked Witch and that monster!” I threw both arms around Mary Beth, “Please help me Miss Dorothy! Don’t let her take me away. I’ve heard of the terrible things that the Wicked Witches do to little munchkins. Please protect me!” By now, everyone was watching what was happening, although not everyone realized that I had been indirectly instructed to act this way.

“Oh come now, zhey are not servants of zhe Wicked Witch. Zhey are just dressed in costumes, zhe same as you and me,” Joan said as she took my hand and started pulling me toward the stage.

“No, no, help me Miss Bell. Help me Miss Dorothy,” I cried.

“Joan,” Kimberly said as she put her hand on Joan’s arm, “Why don’t you leave this one for later?”

I suddenly remembered the capsule that Dumbledore had given Mary Beth. I grabbed her hand and patted the pocket of her dress, so she would feel the capsule. Mary Beth understood what I wanted, she took out the capsule, dropping it to the floor she stepped on it, crushing the plastic shell and exposing the contents to the atmosphere. It did produce a cloud of white smoke as Dumbledore had said, however, it wasn’t exactly a small cloud.

As the smoke cleared, everything was the same as it had been, with one exception. Dumbledore was now at my side. “Is there a problem, my young friend?” he asked, with a hand on my shoulder.

“Oh kind Wizard, please protect me,” I cried, as I pointed toward the stage.

“I understand my young friend. The Great Wizard of Oz would never forgive me if I let one of his munchkins be so easily taken. Joan, I’ll take care of this award. Please continue with the others.”

“As you vish Monsieur Dumbledore,” Joan smiled and winked at me, before she returned to the stage.

“What was all the excitement about, my dear,” Albert asked, as Joan remounted the stage.

“Oh nothing really. It seems zhat one of our award vinners doesn’t vant do be on stage.”

“Must be one huge case of stage fright. Shall we continue with these lucky winners?”

“But of course. Presenting zhe awards is so much fun. Zhis years award for zhe ‘Best Non-Fictional Character’ goes do Tommy and his very realistic portrayal of Abraham Lincoln.”

Tommy, in a very dignified manor, removed his tall hat and bowed to a round of applauses.

“Zhe next award is zhe ‘Hardest do Recognize Character’ or as everyone calls it, zhe ‘Vhat is Zhat?’ award. Zhis year it goes to Monsieur Zy Bickmore for his representation of zhe creature from zhe planet M-113, Zhe Salt Vampire.”

As Joan was making the announcement, Ty crept up behind her and was about to place the suction cups on either side of her face.

She ducked away just before he made contact. “Oh no you don’t! Please, someone, get zhe salt and feed zhis silly creature.”

Amid howls of laughter and applause, Ty took his bow and left the stage.

“Zhat leaves us vith zhese do very aansom costumes. Zhe award for zhe ‘Most Realistic Costume,’ zhis year both of zhese were awarded an equal number of votes. Ve congradulate Edward for his Musketeer, no doubt needed to protect Suzanne, and Misaki for her Samurai. Special honors zhis year are also awarded to Misaki, zhe first time someone from year A has been von this award.”

There were of course, applause for both Edward and Misa. Most of year A had gathered together for the awards, they really outdid themselves as they cheered for Misa.

Dumbledore, who stayed next to me, held out his hand to me, asking, “Would you please accompany me my young friend?”

I cautiously took his hand then looked up into his eyes, I smiled and nodded. We then made our way to the stage.

“Well my friends, thank you for coming to help us with this years awards. Your presence and unusual style have made the presentations very unique,” Dumbledore thanked Joan and Albert.

“It was our pleasure, dear friend,” Albert said as he shook hands with Dumbledore.

“Wee Monsieur Dumbledore, ve aave aad such fun, it vould be our pleasure do return again,” Joan exclaimed as she and Dumbledore hugged.

They were exiting to a round of applause when Joan stopped and whispered in my ear, in perfect English, “You make a very convincing Munchkin my dear. I look forward to seeing you in Quebec.”

’Well now, that answered about a dozen questions, which only left about four hundred for me to find the answers to. Yes, they are part of the plan, I still can’t talk to anyone about it … Hey wait a second, they changed the field trip after Mary Beth and I came here. Just a guess, but I wonder if they would be going to Quebec if I weren’t here. I seem to be a pivotal part of a much larger plan, apparently larger than I thought. I wish I weren’t stuck here; I need some time to wonder through the network and see if I can’t find some more answers. Later I guess.’

“Well now, it seems that there are several awards left to be presented,” Dumbledore stated. “I guess I’ll have to present the last few awards. Roberta, would you please come and join us. While she is on her way up, I’d like to present the last of our costume awards. I’m sure you all recognized this little Munchkin as our newest little bundle of mischief, Matilda, and this years winner of the ‘Easiest to Recognize Student’.” Dumbledore paused while everyone applauded, he however didn’t let go of my hand.

“Thank you for joining us Roberta. As you are all aware, this year we added a new contest. I am pleased to announce that Roberta is the winner, of our Match the Costume to the Wearer contest, with correctly matching eighty percent of the students and thirty percent of the staff.” He again paused for the applause and for Roberta to take her bow. “I have one more award to present. That is, in conjunction with our matching contest, I would like to present an ‘Honorable Mention’ to Matilda. Percentage wise, she had the most correct matches of forty students and five staff; this is when ratioed against the three days she’s been with us.” There goes year A again, are you sure that there are only eighteen of them; it sounds more like half the school. “Thank you, thank you … that will be enough. You have seventy-five minutes of merriment remaining before all the witches and goblins must disappear for another year. The kitchen staff has asked me to remind you that there is still, lots of food left, especially the bat wing surprise. Enjoy one and all, and good night to you all.”

Dumbledore, Roberta and I left the stage. Returning to where Mary Beth was standing he bid us both a goodnight.

“Well Mary Beth, I know I’m tired and ready for bed. You must be completely exhausted. Why don’t we go sit down for a few minutes before we go back to our rooms?”

“I was hoping you wouldn’t want to stay until midnight. I’m very ready for this day to be over and get into bed,” Mary Beth confirmed as we made our way to a table.

“You get us a couple of seats and I’ll get us some Worms and Dirt, along with some Vampire Blood to wash it down with, unless you’d prefer the Blood Wine.”

“Matilda, you … are a nut. Just tell me what everything is, not the made up names.”

Giggling, “Okay, would you like fruit punch or black cherry soda with your Worms and Dirt?”

“Matilda!”

“What?”

“What’s with the Worms and Dirt?”

“But that’s what it’s called.”

“But what is it really?”

“Are you asking what they make worms and dirt out of?”

“All right, yes, what is Worms and Dirt made of?”

“The worms are … well, worms; to be precise they’re gummy worms. The dirt is a mixture of chocolate pudding with Oreo cookie crumbs mixed in. Mom used to buy it every year at Halloween. Kind of like Eggnog, you can only buy it around the Christmas holydays.”

“All right, I think I’d like fruit punch with my Worms and Dirt, thank you.”

“Coming right up dear friend,” I giggled as I went after our snack.

We were almost finished when several of the others from year A joined us.

“Way to go Munchkin,” Aaron congratulated.

“Yea, way to boost the image of the whole year,” George added.

“What are you guys talking about?” I asked.

“Well, between you and Misa, year A took almost thirty percent of the awards,” Em announced.

“Really?”

“Yes indeed,” Em confirmed.

“That,” Barb started, “combined with the incident about the food, earlier, …”

“Hey, I’m really sorry about that,” I apologized.

“No, no, you didn’t do anything wrong. What I was saying is that with everything combined, and us NOT being in trouble this time, you’ve done a lot to boost our reputation,” Barb finished.

“So no one’s upset at me?”

“No, course not” Hope replied, with a smile.

“Well that’s a switch. Usually Matilda is the one that’s in trouble,” Mary Beth teased.

“Nice jab Mary Beth,” I meekly replied, “but right now I’m too tired to do battle. Are you finished?”

“Yes, let’s start back. Anyone want to walk back to the dorm with us?” Mary Beth asked.

“Hey Munchkin, before you go can I ask you a question?” George asked. “What are bat wings?”

“Bats are small creatures, a little larger than mice. They have long leather like wings with tiny claws on the ends. They look like miniature pterodactyls, you know, the flying dinosaur.” I explained.

“I know what Bats are, what I want to know is what’s in the Bat Wing Surprise?”

“Oh, it’s Corn Beef Hash.”

“So what part of the bat do they use in the Bat Wing Surprise?”

“That’s the surprise … there are no bat wings in the Bat Wing Surprise.”

Everyone started laughing after I explained the surprise. Several of the others started back with us, taking a leisurely walk back to our rooms. Mary Beth was completely worn out; I had to drag her into my bathroom to remove her makeup. Then I undid her hair, unzipped her dress and sent her into her room to change. After getting myself cleaned and ready for bed, I went to check on my friend. I found her asleep on her bed. That is on her bed, not under the blankets. She had managed to change into some pajamas. I shook my head as I looked at her then at her dress in the middle of the floor. I managed to get the blankets out from under her without waking her. Then I hung up her dress, she’ll need it later. I accessed the school’s network and searched the system, using the keyword — Munchkin. The only result was a single entry, with the name Sally attached. I left the light in my bathroom on and the interconnecting door open. Finally, I crawled into bed behind Mary Beth; this was a switch because usually she’s laying behind me.

’What a day this has been, I don’t know how many more puzzle pieces I’ve collected, the number is growing faster than I can get them put together. Let’s see, in three days time I’ve discovered how to get into the schools network using a PDA, an obsolete PDA at that. Then there’s some plan that somehow pivots around me as a munchkin, and someone named Sally. Then there’s Jenny’s abilities, that somehow work better on me than anyone else. Did I leave anything out? Oh yea, there’s my knack for getting into trouble and somehow recruiting the entire year in helping Rachael when I only meant to recruit three. Really, what a day. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.’

To be continued

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

GREAT chapter

Just another great chapter in your story and many more puzzle peices.

Look out !! The Wicked Witch is coming for you Violet!!

Ah the Munchkin Mystery Tour has more mystery, more twists and turns. When will the merry-go-round and the roller coaster stop? Just as soon Matilda has answered some questions, hundreds more come its wake. The Halloween Ball was a blast. Apparently it was a set-up on the Black Sheep concerning the food at the tables, and Matilda was the unwitting partner to it. But, Matilda was used as well. Who sent that message to Matilda? Someone expected her to find it. Matilda has a breakdown during the Ball. Matilda is special, but she does not see it yet. At least she has friends to help her through the rough times. I see that Matilda has recruited her crew to help out Rachael. Jenny is a very special girl. Matilda played a great Munchkin at the ball. What's this? Put Bart into a pink dress as part of his punishment? Well, I can go on and on. Great story Penny. Yes my pretty!!! We are waiting patiently for the next chapter!! swlohgals!!! Sealed with lots of hugs, giggles and laughter!!

Rachel

Escapism

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Penny,

I just love the way you and Karen Page write such loving, lovely characters. I wish all the world could be like that.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Off to see the Wizard . . . of Hogwarts?

Another wonderful chapter, Penny! I loved the fun, excitement, drama, and intrigue. I know this is a little late, since Matilda had already chosen a munchkin name, but just in case you're interested, there are a few munchkin names listed in The Patchwork Girl of Oz by L. Frank Baum. I've only come across one female name so far: Dame Margolotte. I can hardly wait to see what happens next! Thank you so much for sharing Matilda's continuing adventures.

{{{warm huggs}}}

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Great Job Penny!

Matilda is slowly working her way through the master puzzle of whats going on and is having fun along the way! Great interaction and movement! A fun and delightful romp through childhood to experience.

*Hugs!*

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Munchkin 4

Once again the munchkin brings excitement and a great tale to the screen, keep them coming, i can't wait to read the next episode


ELIZA

Unseen heplers

While waiting for another delicious episode, I have been re-reading both this tale and 'education, and have given some thought to hhb104 and hhb303, the helpers to understand the mysteries of the confuser systems. I stand to be corrected, but my thoughts are going along the lines that the B stands for Beta. hh I think stands for Hayfield Hall, and the 303 for the third beta in year 03, 104 the first beta in 04. This all leads me to suppose that the unknown helper is Stacy at Hayfield Hall.

I await developments with interest.

Andrew

Interesting idea

Andrew,

Nice but a year out. Stacy was not beta one in 2004. She only got that title in 2005 at the start of New Education.

Hugs

Karen

Still interesting

Nice reply Karen, and you did not blow me out of the water, so I will continue to think I am on the right lines. Just need Stacy's predecessors if that is the case.

BTW Karen, it's been over a month since you kept me happy with Education 30, I hope the Muse is still on your shoulder and whispering nice ideas.

Thanks for the hugs.

Andrew

Still interesting

From my understanding of New Style, Beta 1 in 2004 was June so perhaps June was Beta 3 in 2003 and is the mysterious helper to both. It could also be 2 different people or we could be well off track with this. I remember there was a lot of discussion about who hhb104 was in part 20 of New Style but no definitive answer so we still have a mystery and that keeps us reading and eagerly waiting for more tidbits of clues.

Penny, bring on chapter 5 as I can't be alone in eagerly waiting for the story to continue.

re: still interesting

Wow, at last. I was beginning to worry that Penny and I had been to obscure.

Hugs

Karen

Munchkin Has Too Many Questions

Why is she so important in the upcoming trip? Is she in any danger? Are any of the students in any danger? Who has nefarious plans for Matilda? They had best hope that she NEVER finds out, Matilda WILL seek JUSTICE.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mimic

Jamie Lee's picture

A conversation that didn't take place. Matilda being given the munchkin costume. Acting she was a munchkin, per the conversation that didn't take place. And the using an outdated PDA to breach the system. Then the name Sally shown in the system under Munchkin.

Sounds like someone needed to watch Matilda's version of a munchkin so the real munchkin can be doing something else in the mean time.

The puzzle pieces she has belong to the biggest puzzle she's ever worked on.

Others have feelings too.