Jem...Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Jem…Chapter 7

Chapter 7

You’d think that I’d be more guy about this whole thing right? That I’d be more Jason or that Jason would be more of a teenaged guy here living in a house with three really pretty girls.

I thought I might be.

Hell I thought I would be way too turned on by just being near them. You get a totally different look at girls/women when you’re living with them and apparently camouflaged.
They act totally different when you’re one of the girls. There’s a lot more adjusting of the bra’s and scratching than most guys would think of and I get to learn about something I’ve never heard of as Brooklyn adjusts herself from having a front wedgie.

Okay…it took me a few moments to figure that one out. It was worth looking a bit “duh” then embarrassed for getting the laughs that came out of all three of them.

We just kind of got a little goofy from there. I mean really being in a houseful of girls is becoming an experience that I don’t think I’m ever going to regret or forget.

They’re definitely not boys but there’s also stuff not far from the mark in them being just like guys. Like the scratching or the language. People who really don’t get to live with girls my age don’t seem to think that they swear or just drape themselves over the furniture and sprawl out.

It’s funny because Roxy is the in her pyjama bottoms and just her bra when we’re just here goofing and talking and her and Brooklyn who swears the most…well Roxy swears too but it’s in Japanese or I think it’s swearing I recognize some of it I think from my watching anime.

Brooklyn is the girl with the raggedy old knee length cut off jeans and a tank top an army one I think it’s that drab olive green but it really looks good on her in this comfortable way and then there’s Raven who’s got her hair in a scrunchie but just haphazardly and she’s wearing a big guys sized Coors beer t-shirt and really well worn sweatpants full of holes looks really good on her.

At no point do they break out into Victoria secret lingerie and start having pillow fights or start kissing each other and getting into lesbian sex either.

We finish the night once Roxy and Brooklyn are done mopping the floor with each other and we settle in and watch a bit of TV, reruns of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but new to me. I’ve always been busy and never really watched a lot of TV before always studying or working on my music.

I actually get hugged though before bed and then I’m alone. I turn off most of the lights and slip into the kitchen and get the coffee maker filled up and grate a little cheese and beat a few eggs and put the stuff in the fridge. I know I’m not their maid or anything but I just want to do something nice for them while I’m here and to pay them back for accepting me.

I curl up on the couch kind of thinking of that and what it means and what it feels like to be accepted and how lonely I’ve been and end up pulling the fuzzy blanket I have over me and hugging one of the couch cushions falling asleep finally.

Part of me really loves this even though it’s such a new thing and part of me is scared to lose this. If you’ve been sort of the loner and pariah for so long then suddenly your world changes and you’re with people… You actually start to feel just how lonely you were and the though of going back to that.

………………. The train wakes me up going past with a blare if it’s horns about quarter past five and I wake up slowly and rub those itchy I’d been crying in my sleep crystals out of my eyes and I pad upstairs and get some clothes and slip down to use the downstairs bathroom to shower and get ready in.

I look so strange with the pink hair and even different again outside of my bra and the gel forms. Not overly guyish really, I’m pale and I’ve never really worked out but I don’t really have the girl shape either.

I shower and actually this is one of the girl things I’m liking so far. I like the smell of the stuff I’m using, some of the guy stuff is either so neutral it’s just meh or it’s just overpowering like Axe, anything by them just about gag’s me. I kind of like this shea and cocoa butter smelling stuff and I know it’s either girly or just me being kind of a little kid throw-back but I like the bubbles the shower puff makes.

Wash my hair and condition it and then blow dry it mostly done brush my teeth and just take a second to do my eyes. I slip into new underwear and get adjusted then a pair of what were Mom’s work jeans I had washed last night. Oh…I love old jeans and I don’t care if their girls jeans these are that old and well used their faded from it and not made to be faded but they have that soft supple thing that you really only get with wear, and real denim too not that stretchy stuff. I get my bra and my breasts settled and I pull on this old baggy McGill university sweatshirt and pad out barefoot to get the morning started.

I get the coffee going and take out some of the bacon from yesterday and get that going and toasting toast and Eggo waffles up. I’m sipping my coffee while things are cooking and making another list on one notepad while I’m strumming away at another song or trying to while the rest of the house comes alive slowly.

The first sound I hear really loudly is Roxy doing her drumming along with “Tom Sawyer” by Rush. I can’t help myself and flip what needs to be flipped and turn stuff down and go to the living room/practice place and plug in and wait until a good start and jump in letting the amp carry the sound upstairs.

Okay, I’m kind of getting the feeling that zap of getting to play and rocking out adrenaline first thing in the morning. It’s got that kick you get when you play…to me there’s this buzz that sort of like the hum of the strings still in me even after I’m done.

After that’s done I grab three mugs of coffee and head upstairs into the flurry of three girls getting ready, two for school and one for work Brooklyn has that full on girl interrupted look coming out of her room hair in her face and doing the zombie shuffle and there’s a smile under the hair as she takes the coffee and kisses me on the cheek.

“Mmhnn…thanks Jase… (mumble…mumble…) you’re awesome.”

I smile and chuckle at that, though she tends to call me Jase rather than Jem or Angel it’s kind of nice.

Roxy comes bouncing out and I pass her a mug and…okay that’s hot coffee and she takes it and she chugs it and …and she chugged hot coffee. “Oh My God Ange that was so cool this morning when you like cranked it and joined in with me and we were all…” she start imitating the synth while air guitaring and air drumming and gyrating like she’s dancing and going a hundred miles an hour and it’s so bizarre because she’s in her bra and panties and…okay like I said I don’t have experience with girls but…

I’m still watching Roxy dance around but I’m passing Raven her mug and she gently pushes me downstairs with her. “C’mon Angel, staring at her for too long when she’s like this is known to cause seizures.”

I’m taking a sip of my coffee when I get the joke and choke on my coffee. That whole inhale as you’re sipping wrong pipe thing. Raven’s patting me on the back and smiling. She’s not totally dressed for work and looks like she was up early enough to beat the girls to the shower and she looks good but so different with just a little make up on and most of her piercings out and most of her usual jewellery off.

I smile back. “We should dress Kim up as Animal from the Muppets this year for Halloween.”

She almost spits some coffee out too and does this little sweet laugh and a cough then points her finger at me. “Nofair bitch I’m getting ready for work.”

I smile and then make a face at her. “C’mon, I’ll buy ya breakfast.”

“I usually don’t eat breakfast, it’s just I’ve…”

“Bullshit you’ve got to eat breakfast because when you don’t eat you through your body into conservation mode and that’s when you start storing fat.”

“Where’d you figure that out?”

“Um, Discovery channel or something but it true.”

“Well…”

“Move…” I push-walk her into the kitchen and get her to a chair and pull it out. “Sit.”

“Arf.”

“Hey…I’m the bitch remember.”

I grin and drain the bacon with some paper towel on a plate and then give the eggs another quick whisk and pour them in to scramble and I make Eggo McMuffin sandwiches with just a bit of the cheese on the bottom one then some scrambled eggs and the two slices of bacon a bit more eggs and a bit more cheese just so the hot eggs melt the cheese and sort of weld the egos into a sandwich.

I make mine adding some sliced tomato and I eat while I’m cooking and giving Brooklyn and Roxy theirs and some more Minute-Maid Juice from the can. I get hugs from both of them and Brooklyn’s got this big smile as she’s eating. “God thanks Angel; seriously I’m not used to the good life like this.”

“Yeah well I think my Mom’s leaking through the clothes because she was kinda big on this kind of stuff and even as things are now Dad and I still took the time out for breakfast and stuff together.”

Raven looks at me. “Well it’s still appreciated a whole lot, just leave the dishes and we’ll do them when we get home.”

“No, I get these; I’m going to be mostly hanging around here all day anyway getting stuff set up. There’s only so much that I can do with no ID’s and stuff.”

“You don’t have to wait on us.”

“I’m not I’m taking care of people I care about who already have been taking care of me.”

There’s this actual little sort of stubborn stare off between us and the other two get up and leave. There a bit of whispering between the two and we both hear.

“Totally fucking opposite.”

“Yeah, super nice though.”

“Yeah but Dra..ma..”

Raven and I both yell at them. “We can fucking hear you!” at the same time it was one of those…

Then I hear Roxy singing. “I don’t want to be…anything…other than what I’ve been trying to be lately…”

Then Brooklyn chiming in with. “All I have to do is think of me and have peace of mind…”

They bang the door as they leave and I’m staring at Raven who’s up and blushing and sort of angry like washing the breakfast dishes.

“I’m sorry, I’m overstepping aren’t I.” I feel, I don’t know scared, insecure even after saying it. I mean I’ve never had friends before and this is sort of my first friend fight and I kind of hide my hands in the sleeves of my sweatshirt and then hug myself.

She keeps washing and looks at me after a few seconds and sighs closing her eyes. “No, it’s just I’ve been…It’s been awhile since…since there’s…I’m just not used to having someone like you in my life Angel, it’s kind of scary to open up two somebody new and I feel like I’m not in control here…and I’ve always sort of been the one here in control…that grown up I guess.”

“I know…I think that you taking the girls in with you band or not is a really cool thing to do and there’s a lot of people who’d not bother…It’s just I’ve never really had this, not even when Mom was alive y’know. I don’t want to do something or not do something to mess this up and be alone again…”

She takes her hands out of the sink and she comes over and hugs me. “You can stay here until you don’t want to be here anymore, we won’t kick you out or abandon you Angel…ever…I know…I know what it’s like to be lonely and….different.”

I’m staring into her face and I’m there again just lost in how beautiful and strong she is. It’s not this…I can’t put into words but makes my hands damp, my mouth dry and my eyes on the edge of spilling over and my heart race so much it hurts.

I’ve never been held like she’s holding me, more personal than family and the way that she’s looking at me I just…

It feels like I’m not Invisible and that for once someone’s seeing me. She pulls me into a bigger hug and her body posture changes and there’s a sigh. “I’ve got to go… are we good Angel?”

“Yeah we’re good.”

She grabs her things and head out to the van and I watch her go from the doorway and hug myself a watch her drive away with this ache I don’t understand, but understand and know won’t happen.

I close the door and head to the guitar…I have to get this out and play this out of me before I explode or something.

up
342 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another good Jem :) I loved

Another good Jem :)

I loved it, Animal!
*Giggles*

And I so loved the Comment about Staring at her when shes like that has been known to cause Seizures joke, I got that one right off the bat ;)

Thanks Bailey keep writing good stories :)

Your friend

Ashleigh


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Thanks Asleigh:)

I was rather proud of Raven for coming out with that and really liked the mixture of humor and intensity there. I Love the girls in this story and love writing for it. The animal thing works too with the whole drummer bit but I've seen picture of that red dyed K-pop hair then it's just easy after that.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

mornings

we should all be so lucky as to have a hyper active carebear dancing in their underwear for us in the morning.
very emotional chapter, just leaves me hoping they can connect and get together.
thanks

Thanks Lonewolf:)

I honestly like Roxy, she gives me an excuse to write humor in my stories like that. She's very much a Redbull mixed with Mountain Dew kind of hyper happy giggly little girl. I love the emotions in the whole I wanna but I can't thing going on.

Thanks for reading and the great comment.
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

someone really seeing you

'I’ve never been held like she’s holding me, more personal than family and the way that she’s looking at me I just…

It feels like I’m not Invisible and that for once someone’s seeing me. She pulls me into a bigger hug and her body posture changes and there’s a sigh. “I’ve got to go… are we good Angel?”

“Yeah we’re good.”'

 

What a magic moment. Ah, to have that .... oh, well.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Yeah that whole thing was a bittersweet "Sigh." thing.

There is a whole lot of us that feel the same way Dorothy hon. You're a good person and I'm a firm believer of Karma. With all the stuff you've been through I'm choosing to believe that you'll meet that someone who'll reach out and touch your face and smile saying "Hey love."

You just have to keep the faith.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Jem is...

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I adored the scene in the kitchen at the end between Raven and Jase/Angel. It had that real 'rom-com' they're-going-to-start-kissing-now feel to it but with all the mixed up crazy tension of each being very aware of the reasons that it couldn't end that way. I guess that kinda makes them compatibly incompatible? And the scene at the end with Jase/Angel in the girl role of standing in the doorway watching her lover leave for work made me mist up a little. *sniffle*

While intending no offence to Gavin DeGraw, I actually prefer 'I don't Wanna Be' sung by a female singer so I smiled imagining the girls singing it. But wow, are the lyrics so applicable to the Raven - Jase/Angel situation. Of course, the show to which the song is the theme tune is a good provider of that staple of the teen show - 'dra..ma' - so doubly apt.

And yeah, girls are people too. While I would deny it under cross-examination, there is a reasonable chance we also expel trapped gas too. ;-)

Thank you for another enjoyable chapter.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

"I don't Wanna Be.."

Was intended to be a smartassism (My Word) from Roxy but I'm thinking there Pinky (I'm Brain.), that with you're comment that'd be another great song addition to the band. It'd be a good getting the crowd clapping and singing along tune.

I love the interaction that's going on with that emotional salsa dancing without touching each other.

I really liked Jem hugging herself in the doorway like the girl usually does but she a boy on so many levels. I love the boy/girl dynamic the they both sort of have going on too.

Thanks So Much Jemima.
Great comments Hon.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Narf?

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Narf? ;-)

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Yeah:) LOL!!!

So glad you got that:)
*More Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Mutual understanding

I wouldn't yet go as far as describing their relationship as love (in the romantic sense), but there's so much commonality between what Raven and Angel!Jason have experienced and need that they are starting to discover they 'gel' and can help each other emerge as stronger characters. It will take time, of course, any may develop into romance, but that's likely to be a long way down the line.

Meanwhile, Angel!Jason is spending the daytime getting the house shipshape and cooking meals for the others - generally looking after them and, well, being the homemaker. Presumably once the new ID arrives, they will be able to go out more / do the shopping / generally integrate into society more with the new persona. Of course, at some point in time there'll presumably be recording sessions and concerts to add a new dimension to their new life.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I like that dynamic that they have too Mittfh:)

Raven has this guy like thing where she's the one taking everyone in and has been the breadwinner too but she's got this sexy-sweet wonderful vulnerable side making her a joy to write. Then Jase/Angel's taking care of them now in a very maternal way like she said channeling her mothers memories but at the same time fixing things around the house is a very guy thing to do.
You're right about the relationship dynamic too and I love the very slow riding on the edge of things.

I'm so glad that your're enjoying this so much.
I Love you comments because you always have great insights for me to ponder:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

… open up two somebody new…

While the framing isn't brilliant, it doesn't matter. This whole thing feels real. This is how real people talk, this is how real people approach things, this is entirely believable for the (admittedly improbable) situation of high school girls living by themselves.

Although it seems like the show references are fading, was that intended or a consequence of the divergence?

Anyway, I'm loving it, thank you!

Well While I'm not trying to mirror the show....

there are a few elements that mirror sort of. Angel will be using Benton as her fake last name, the house with the girls is sort of Starlight House. Starlight Butterfly as the band name is mirroring Starlight records and Muzz and Summer are the evil record producer and the band will be the Misfits.

There will be some more references especially when we meet Muzz and Summer but it's also just a play with her disguise. It's kind of a real life tinged with Jem-esque elements.

I'm glad it's believable, The 4 girls is a stretch but it is a story.
Thanks for reading and the really great comments too.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I wonder how long it'll be

I wonder how long it'll be before Angel and Raven decide to admit their feelings. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Thanks Lizzie:)

It might be awhile, I'm not sure that they'll hook up fast at all really, I'm thinking Jase/Jem/Angel when they have the opportunity can be a very careful person.

I'm glad you liked it:)
Thanks for reading and commenting.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I'm just catching up Bailey!

Another good chapter.

Some great comments here they help when your speed reading and sometimes miss somethings.

Well, 'on, On', got a few to go!

LoL
Rita

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac.

'Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.'

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I love that you comment as you go like this Rita:)

That means a huge amount to us writers and even it just a little bit of something it's a huge thing or at least to me.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Love the musical references

I think Jem's getting that nervous feeling because she's losing the "freedom" she's had for a long time, you know what I mean?

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...

.
.
.

Jeans and turtleneck_0.JPG
The girl in me. She always there, and she
understands the comfort of an old pair of jeans.

There's nothing like good jeans:)

Angel's a very deliberate person like Jason is:)
Thanks for reading Lora.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers