Lead Shoes-3

Printer-friendly version

Lead Shoes-3

Chapter 3

It was actually pretty cool even going through all the same old stuff in physiotherapy and getting my baselines of what I can do and what I can’t and what my good days are like and what my bad days are like. But it’s nothing like with Nan or my Dad.

Aunt Holly actually asks why something is the way that it is, she asks if she can be shown if any of the exercises she can do with me at home are and she is right there helping me and learning and giving a shit.

I have felt like such a drain on what I had for a family that it was a depressive physical hurt. And it cycles on you…the more you hurt the more it sucks and you get even more depressed, then it hurts even more.

If Nan hadn’t watched me like a hawk with paranoid schizophrenia then I’d have likely have found a way to kill myself.

I never, ever wanted to be a bother to people.

I didn’t want to lose my independence, to be some kind of burden that they had to take care of. God honestly there hurting inside for a lot of reasons but being like this and stuck in a chair for so damned long…not counting being TG to go along with it… If you looked up Depression in the dictionary a little while ago then you’d have gotten to see a picture of me.

But with Aunt Holly it’s like I past into a different world. The nurses and therapists look at my chart and smile at me and call me Mikayla. I mean I know they’re all in the medical profession and see all kinds of things but they legally don’t have to be nice to me. I mean they could’ve been really mean when they saw the note on they’re chart and the only off thing that way was just a few slipped pronouns.

I actually got complimented a few times on my make up and once on my outfit and I got called young lady a few times.

We’re leaving the hospital and I’m wheeling my way to the van and I turn it around fast and lean forward and hug her around the waist and bury my face into her belly.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you….” I say into her stomach. She runs her fingers through my hair and rubs my back and I let out a good little sob as I feel her fingers go over my bra.

Mine, my bra and there was no drama and screaming and stuff about it.

“It’s okay…it’s okay Kayla you let it out alright, you let it out and make room in there for the good stuff.”

(Sniffle?)

“Good stuff?”

“Yup, how’d you like to go shopping with me?”

“For?”

“Oh, stuff to fix up the house and your room and get you some real clothes and make-up and all the stuff you need as a girl y’know.”

“No…no I don’t know, I never got to know…”

“Well now you will. It’s about high time you learned the ins and outs of shopping and of being who you really are.”

***

!
!!
!!!
She Let Me DRIVE!!!

Okay, I’m not aloud to drive, if something happened and stuff then I’d be kinda likely to hurt someone. I get that but I’m having a good day and we got there to the mall and we were way back in the part of the parking lot that no one ever goes to and she let me drive. It took some doing to get moved over and I can’t use the pedals well but I can use them and it was just great, she even ran me through all the stuff that regular teens get to do when they’re driving and learning to drive.

We park and she lets me park and I look over at her and I hug her again.

“Omigoshthatwassocool!”

“Good, I’m glad we’ll keep at it until you’re ready for your drivers test to get you beginners.”

Excuse me? What’d she say?

“But I can’t I’m not allowed to drive. Is it different up here?”

“Mikayla you can drive anywhere here back home and all it takes is the right instruction and to get the drivers stuff modified.”

“But Dad…and Nan…they said.”

“Kayla…it’s not nice to talk ill of the dead but your Nan and your Dad lied for whatever messed up reasons or were just not interested in finding out if you could.”

“Aaagh! Goddammit fucking! Hell!...Aaaagh!!!” I scream, I screamed and cussed and punched the seats because this…this was just another great big lead blanket of their lies and bullshit they’d been trying to smother me under.

I’d have gotten in so much shit for a fit like this before.

Aunt Holly just sits through it. Actually she rolls down the window and lit a smoke. I calmed down a bit to the mad and heavy breathing stage and she’s looking at me and I’m looking at her a little sheepishly and I see this glint in her eyes.

“Aaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” We both scream at the roof.

Then. “Aaaagh!!!!” at each other.

Then we break into giggles and laughter. I hug her again. “My God they really sucked huh.” She says.

“Fuckers.” I sniffle.

“Better?”

“No…I messed up my make-up.”

“Geez Mikayla you’re such a girl.”

We giggle together again and it just goes to show that a tough chick with all the tattoos and stuff and having been in prison can just be as much as a girl as any of us. Aunt Holly ditches the smoke and we have another go at getting me made up with me doing almost everything. I do need all the practice that I can get.

***

The Oshawa Center Mall is actually pretty cool, I’ve never been to the malls a lot, just never really had the chance to and then of course was the stares and stuff I’d get and everything.

Well I’m still getting looks and stares and yet there’s some friendly sort of smiles in there. They see the make-up and the clothes and the hair and my chair and I’m a girl. Which is really, really cool because the last thing I really need is to get clocked and stuff.

We hit a lot of places mostly just looking but also trying things on. We get some stuff that’s kind of cool and stuff at American Eagle, I got two denim skirts there… (Yay! I own skirts!) We sort of figured on a few things for easy use while I need my chair and skirts are right up there with stuff. But I do get a nice pair of jeans too because I…I wanted them…I wanted a pair of girls jeans and not just any pair but something actually in style. In the end we get two pair one called Total Girl and another pair of Arizona jeans.

My big thing is really turns out to be tops, the biggest part of what everyone’s going to see about me most of the time I guess in my torso so we really get a whole bunch of tops and blouses and sweaters and camisoles and I really love this store called Garage and I get a lot of these girls long sleeved tee’s. And I mean I really love these shirts, the cut, the neck the shelf in some of them just can’t be taken for a guy’s style ever and I’m in heaven.

I’m getting tired because I’ve done more today that I’ve done in a long time but I’m trying on clothes. I’m buying clothes out of the money she gave me for Dad’s stuff but she’s buying out of the money she gets for me living with her and we have a great time.

Oh I am so a hipster styled panty girl just like my Aunt and she didn’t show me until after I had tried some different types on. I think that’s really cool that we have some stuff in common.

I get three dresses mid length sleeves and something called a bow-back dress but it doesn’t have a bow on it like a present. I’m not sure why it’s called what it’s called but they all have this scooped neckline. I have two different floral prints on black and a black plain one. All three are… “They’re kind of short.”

“That’s true but it’s the style that the girls at school and you age will be wearing when the do wear a dress.”

“Okay, but It’s kind of a waste right? I mean it’s not like I’m going to be walking around in them. I’ll be in my chair most of the time.”

“Kayla if it makes you feel good and feel pretty and even a bit sexy than their worth having. Besides you can really show off your legs in the chair if you want to.”

“Really?”

“Yes we’ll figure all this stuff out kiddo.”

We actually hit a lot of places and I even get some stuff for my feet, I end up getting a bunch of these wedge solid soled shoes and boots that can be buckled and strapped to my ankles and stuff and I’m tottery and shaky but taking a few steps while I’m holding onto Aunt Holly.

“How do they feel?”

“Weird, not as bad as some things.”

“Well you need to find one’s that are comfortable.”

“There’s not a lot of those not the way that my leg muscles have gotten.”

“Okay, but we’ll keep looking I want a few pairs of something you’ll be able to use the arm braces in.”

In the end and through eleven shoe departments and stores before finding three cute ankle boots that are comfortable and work sort of. Well they work but I’ll need my crutches or my arm braces and still it depends on the day and I’ll still not be able to go really long or far with them.

But… (Big smiles.)

They made a lot of difference in the changing rooms and trying things on. I had to repair my make-up again while standing if a little wobbly in a changing room at Macy’s looking at myself in a full length mirror in a pretty dress.

I was okay; well I was in shock until my Aunt Holly came inside the changing room and side by side hugged me and said to me and my reflection. “Hi Mikayla.”

Oh yeah, waterworks.

***

I’m in the van and I’m hugging myself because we had just got ready to leave and into the van and had been driving for a few minute when she passes me a bag. “I missed a lot of birthdays and Christmases Kayla I hope you like these. They are going to give you any support and stuff but I thought you’d like them.”

I looked inside and there were two pairs of the prettiest ballet flats you could have ever seen.

I’m still hugging them super tight to my chest.

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Paulo Prolifico....

Andrea Lena's picture

...what truly amazes me about your stories is that regardless of whatever you write, each character is dilineated; rich and full and human lives, no matter what gender or 'persuasion,' they come to life and enrich my own. Just as I am she embraces those ballet slippers, I embrace each story with excitement and wonder. I am absolutely in awe of your talent, and I am so thankful for your writing.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

me too, Bailey

"Oh yeah, waterworks."

says it all, really. Like big sis 'Drea, I'm simply in awe.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Thank You Both so Much:)

I honestly fell into this one though. I loved the subject material and the characters are just people real and normal even flawed and stuff. I'd have to say those working in a Hospital certainly gives you perspective on so many different kinds of people:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Your characters totally act

Your characters totally act like real people. When reading your story I always think: yes that could be real life. Well not the sf and fantasy stories, but you know what I mean :D

Thank you for writing this tear jerker,

*hugs*
Beyogi

One thing about Bailey's

One thing about Bailey's writing I love the most, I can actually see the story play out in my head. The characters just seem real, they have souls of their own. This story just give me those good goosebumps when I read it.

=^.^=

Robinverse

Have a mew of a day!

=^.^=


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Okay Blushing Now:)

Thanks so much Ashleigh that means so much to hear.
*Great Big Huge Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

On many occasions

Extravagance's picture

I am tempted to replace the prawn in my signature with something else.
A big letter "I", followed by a big heart symbol, followed by the image of a book with a cover that clearly bears the words "by Bailey Summers". ^_^
*HuggleSnugglePurrHappytailswish* <3

- - -

Royal catgirl of the court of the Empress of Euphoria. I like fine seafood, and I love huggles! ^_^
Catgirl_Likes_Prawns.jpg

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Okay this has me seriously blushing again:)

I am so humbled by comments like this.
There's not much more I can say.
*Huggles and sniffles and scratches.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Holly

is just what she needs to bring her out of the shell they forced her in an back into real life.
looking good so far.
thanks

Mikayla had a lot of damage done to her...

by the box that her family had put her in and that certainly never helped her with all the other things going on in her life.
Thanks for the comment LoneWolf.
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Well, who would have thunk it...

References to Canada already grab my attention, but to literally see my birth town mentioned in a story... wow ;))
Great story so far; if you keep writing, I'll keep reading ;)

Oshawa is a great town. It's been years

since I've been there. I like putting most of my stories in Canada really. I'm glad that your liking it Amy.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Retail Therapy!

It was certainly effective in this story!

Boyo, her Aunt Holly is something else isn't she, how fortunate for Mikayla to have her love and care.

I wonder if she is really an Angel in disguise and here for a purpose. What other miracles are we in for?

I really love both their characters although Mikayla's is just begining to emerge and blossom under Holly's carefull guidance.

Thanks Bailey

LoL
Rita

I'm a dyslexic agnostic insomniac.

'Someone who lies awake at night wondering if there's a dog.'

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

For something that was written in responce to a blog here ....

This has all the hallmarks of a tale you have been slaving over for months or years.
MOST impressive.

My late older sister Ann was born severely handicapped or whatever the term was in the mid 1950s. Her brain damage and CP were such she never talked, could only manage a cup or spoon with assistance and barley could walk and always with someone steadying her as one side of her body was much worse than the other. I remember the strange looks people gave her at times.

I also went to school with a few individuals who had CP and required arm braces and have had some coworkers that were disabled. This tale rings so very true.

To be TG on top of all her problems would crush all but the strongest of souls.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks a lot for the comment John:)

Sometimes we just come across something that just rings true and it's just one of those things where the story's been flowing just right. I tried to get the staring thing in there, that either they stare or they pretend you don't exist. I guess ten years working in a hospital stuff rubs off on you.

Thanks for the great comment John.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Simple pleasures

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Heh. I still remember my father teaching me the basics of driving in a quiet car park once I had my learners licence. :-) I thought you conveyed Kayla's joy at doing something as mundane as shopping for clothes or practicing driving really well. I can't help but adore Aunt Holly for the love she just radiates for Kayla.

Thank you.

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks Jemima:)

I really think that sometimes the best things in life are the simple things but for some people the simple things we get to do are really big things for others. I really like this story and love the response it's getting.
Thanks for the really great comment Jemima, I draw on those personal moments you all share with me, it's a lot of trust getting them and I'm really honored by it.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Constantly in awe

The situations and plots are wonderful on their own Bailey, but your characters are real, three dimensional, flesh and blood people in every way... i feel i could take the GO train to Oshawa and visit Holly and Mikayla. I'd bring Tims... Thank you for writing real people in real life. thank you for making me care about them Bailey Bro.
*kisses your cheek*
Diana

Big Smiles:) Thanks Diana.

I try to stay into this kind of normal even if the stories are off the beaten path. I love being able to take you all on the kind of trip that things are familiar. I love the Canadiana stuff too, Tims...and the Go train...I'm not sure how many people outside of Ontario'd get that but...Loved the Go train I might have to put it in a story, and Speakers Corner, Lakeshore drive, Regent park...I love so much writing like this.

I Love that you care about the Characters Diana, but you have a huge heart Sis:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Thank you Bailey,

ALISON

Like our good friend 'Cyclist' you deal with real people and the reality of life.In 25 years as a
paramedic I found disabled people to be inspiring and uplifting but your introduction of TG give this story
a whole new dimension which I love.Beautifully done!

ALISON

You're very Welcome Alison Mary:)

It's actually very humbling to be put into company with Cyclist. I really do find like you the true to life stories she does amazing. I've worked closely with the differently abled on many occasions and like yourself working in health care really helps give you exposure to so much for good of for bad. Thank you for your service as a paramedic, damn hard job where you see sometimes too much.
Thanks also for reading and commenting.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Water Works

Oh yeah, waterworks.

Me too, this is a wonderful story!

Vivien

Thanks so much Vivien:)

I'm always glad to hear from you and really glad that you enjoyed this story.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers