Another Side of My Life - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Another Side of My Life
Chapter 7
by Julie D Cole

As we gathered together in reception half an hour later I sat with Debbie. She whispered to me.‘Excuse me Julie. Are you and Jack together?’ Looking at my ring she said ‘He hasn’t secretly proposed has he?’ ‘Sarah says that Laura is worried to death.’
……………………………………………………………………………………………
‘Sarah is crazy. I honestly never met Jack until yesterday. He helped me when I was in trouble.’
Debbie looked closely at me.

‘Julie, there is something about you that I can’t quite put my finger on. I don’t mean to be rude when I say that it’s just that you seem different. Maybe you don’t realise it.’

‘It’s OK I’ve always been different and I don’t usually fit in very well so it’s kind of you to invite me to join you and to get the chance for your spare ticket. I just hope that I don’t spoil your weekend.’

‘No don’t say that please Julie. I wasn’t meaning that you are strange or anything like that. Really I meant that you seem to have an androgynous look that I’m quite jealous of. You have a little bit of a boy/girl look that I think might make people look at you twice and I think that’s what Jack probably noticed.’

‘But I thought he liked the bimbo look.’

‘No that’s just how he used to try to distract Laura. She knew she didn’t fit the bill but then she tried and it put him right off her.’

‘Well I know that sometimes I look a little boyish but I never expected that would attract anybody, least of all Jack.’
‘Mmm you’d be surprised. He likes the boy/girl look and his favourite actresses and singers were always the ones with the husky voices.’

‘Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should stay clear of him incase I mislead him. I’ve agreed to work in the bar again.’

‘No No don’t do that for heavens sake. He’ll kill me if he ever finds out what I’ve said to you. I just want him to be happy. I can see you made him happy because he called me last night and he sent me a few text messages.’

‘Are you joking me?’

‘No I’m not. Honestly I’m telling the truth. I know you only just met Jack and you hardly know each other but you would make a great couple.’

‘Debbie I haven’t led Jack on at all and I am engaged to someone else. He’d kill me if he knew somebody fancied me.’
‘Oh I’m sorry….but I’m only telling the truth and I do want my brother to find someone nice because he needs to settle down and find himself a proper job.’

‘Debbie you have flattered me and I do appreciate how much you love each other. He is very lucky to have a sister like you.’

‘Yes and I am more lucky to have him as my brother. Look at him flirting over there. He’s a great catch.’

‘Mmm he does make everybody smile.’

‘Don’t you think he is good looking. Much better than my man?

‘I suppose he’s OK.’

‘OK very much I’d say. I hope you both stay friends. I’d love to have you as a family friend and to have a sister to talk to and to shop with. Boys are OK but they don’t know how to shop till they drop.’

‘I guess that’s true. If I were a boy I suppose I’d be the same.’

‘I’m sorry that you aren’t Jacks girlfriend. I won’t say any more about it. He’s looking at us and wondering what I’m saying to you. I can tell he’s worried I’m telling his secrets.’

‘What do you mean?’
‘I’ll tell you later, the others are here. Maybe we can chat more if you don’t mind. We confide in each other a lot so I know him better than anyone. I think you two were made for each other.’

'Debbie, please.’

‘I’ll tell you later, I promise.’

Maggie dragged us up from our seats and so that was the end of the conversation for now at least. Sarah was looking at a map and planning the route but in truth we didn’t need any map since it was a direct 15 minutes walk up to the park entrance. Well 15 minutes with no distractions so it actually took us 45 minutes.

What a wonderful location for our hotel. No wonder Kensington is such an expensive area to live. It was alive with people but most of all the buildings and the whole ambience was so exiting. Sarah must have taken 50 photographs at least before we reached the Park gates.

As we crossed the road I looked over the park towards the Palace. A magic place fit for a Queen. Poor Di. How I wished I could have had just one night there but not with Charlie boy of course. How could she marry him?

Laura ran across the road and through the park gates taking off her shoes to run on the grass. She ran in circles like a small child squealing how wonderful it was to feel free. Jane was next to remove her shoes and then Maggie and then Debbie who grabbed me by the hand so I was included. I had no choice but to do the same and then I realised how wonderful to free my toes and run in the grass.

It was like we were 8 or 9 years old and try as I did I couldn’t stop myself from joining in the fun.

The park was full of all types of people from joggers to dads with young sons kicking footballs and mums pushing babies in pushchairs. It was like a magic moment that I’d never experienced before. Ahead of us a wide pathway over the brow of a hill that stretched all the way across the park and to the left the beautiful Palace ringed with high brick walls and iron fences and no wonder this was the prime choice of residence for the Royal Family.

Maggie took charge. ‘Come on gang it’s the Palace first and then let’s walk across the park and maybe we can find Notting Hill and see the bookshop from the film or the garden gate that Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts climbed.’

‘I loved that film and how two opposites found each other and had such fun doing simple things.’ It would be magic to find the travel bookshop and to meet Hugh Grant.’

‘Oops had I gone too far saying that?’

Debbie intervened. You’ve enough on with Jack never mind Hugh Grant. He’s surely not your type.’
Maggie said she thought we might all like exploring Notting Hill and maybe we should leave the Royal Albert Hall till Saturday or Sunday.

Laura piped up. ‘It’s a no brainer. Who want to see an old theatre when we can go to Notting Hill and find a book shop and maybe a wine bar. Let’s try to get Julie fixed up with Hugh Grant.’

That comment wasn’t missed by Debbie who smiled and whispered. ‘She’s trying to get you distracted away from Jack.’
Maggie said ‘OK it goes to the vote.’ It was unanimous. Which way did I vote? Did I have a choice? Of course I wanted to relive Julia Roberts climbing the gate rather than Hugh Grant but I hardly dare say that.

So we set off across the grass for the direct route to the Palace entrance. We were all laughing and chatting about other Hugh Grant films and especially about Four Weddings and a Funeral. How I’d wished he’d married Kristen Scott Thomas. Oh now if I only could look like her I’d be in dreamland forever. I often used to feel that’s how I’d be as a girl. Always missing out and only the bridesmaid and never the bride.

Well none of us wanted to be inside since it was such a sunny afternoon so the visit to the Palace of a 10 minutes tour. We poked our noses inside. Then we had a 30 minutes photo session, with lots of silliness and 15 minutes the gift shop just to prove we’d been. Luckily there was a coffee shop where we could sit still. But then once again I was bursting and I learned why the bathroom break takes so long for girls. I was in agony by the time it was my turn.

It was now after 4pm so we headed out of the North exit of the park to head towards Notting Hill.

It wasn’t quite like the film but who cares. Here I was walking with a gaggle of girls behaving as if they’d had their first trip away from home. I was accepted and it didn’t seem like anybody stared at me so I can’t have looked that boyish like Debbie has said.

Maggie had decided she was to be first over the gate so she was always at the front and Sarah tended to lag behind stopping to look at paintings fastened to the fence of the park that vedors were trying to sell.

We never found the gate or the little park that they went inside so concluded it wasn’t actually in Notting Hill. Somehow the streets didn’t look like they did in the film and we looked everywhere for the book shop but concluded it must have been a travel agents that they’d converted to look like a quaint London bookshop.

Still we had a lot of fun before we turned around and headed back the way we came.

We decided to go back to the High Street to look at a few shops rather than walk to the Victoria & Albert monument that was a bit sad of us really since the culture was tossed aside for some retail therapy.

It was the first time I’d gone into fashion shops without feeling like everybody was staring at me. Probably it was because I was with the gaggle and I could pick things up without feeling guilty.

Sarah wasn’t quite so interested since she obviously wasn’t a shopper and it was Laura and Debbie that were spending.
When we went into Zaras where I was finally persuaded to try something on. OMG here I go again digging more holes for myself as we entered the changing room.. If I got caught now I’d be in real trouble and goodness knows how I’d explain it at work or to mum.

There were only curtains for privacy and a large area with seats and big mirrors with 2 or 3 girls parading in various stages of dress or undress. So I was really nervous as Debbie sat outside patiently waiting for me to appear so she could comment. She had selected a little black dress that was only size 14 so it was going to be tight. However it fitted and I was very surprised how it fitted under the bust and my false boobs felt real.

I just loved the way it fitted around my waist and I liked the feel of the material against my newly shaven legs. But the problem had been how to fasten the zipper at the back.

Who invented this? They must have been double jointed I think.

I must have looked funny trying to stretch my fingers to the limit to push the zipper so I could reach it from over my shoulder. Somehow by hitching the dress and pulling it so I could push the zipper a little further I managed to just reach it over my shoulder so I could pull it the last 2 inches. Wow now I really felt like I was Julie.

I just loved the feeling as I swirled in front of the mirror admiring it. I think it was the most wonderful feeling that I’ve ever felt and perhaps it was also due to the circumstances but it was a feeling that I can never really ever properly explain.

By now Debbie was up pulling at the curtain and shock horror she pulled it back and looked at me.

‘Wow that looks great. So let’s see what Jack makes of you in that. We should get you some stockings and a suspender belt. What do you think?’

‘No no you can’t since I can’t afford the dress anyway it’s ninety pounds. I’ve never spent that on a dress in my life.’
Well that bit was perfectly true. Mostly I buy from M&S or Asda where I don’t get too many questions asked.

‘Come on Julie, surely he’s worh it.’

‘No No I can’t afford it.Remember I lost my purse and my credit cards and only have the cash advance from the bank.’
‘Well I’ll lend it to you so you can put it on my credit card. I want to see the look on Jacks face. Not forgetting Laura of course. Wait whilst she sees you.’

As if by magic she appeared in the dressing room with Maggie and I don’t think I ever saw such green eyes in my life. I was in trouble now for sure.

Maggie urged us to hurry up since we’d spent too long shopping and with one final twist of my arm Debbie managed to convince me to accept her kind offer. We found 2 pairs of stockings and luckily they didn’t need a suspender belt so that at least saved some money.I had some black panties and a black bra in my suitcase if Jack had remembered to collect it.

Mmmm now I was sub consciously planning to show the outfit to Jack and I was supposed to have a fiancé. But I really did want him to see how I looked.

Everybody had bought something by the time we were half way down the High Street and we were just thinking about flagging down a taxi when Laura spotted a Spanish Tapas bar down a small side street. We didn’t need any persuading to join her. We found a chair for all the shopping bags and sat at a table on the pavement so that Jane could sneak a cigarette.

I guess we were all ready to enjoy a drink so we ordered a bottle of Rioja and that soon disappeared. The next one arrived at the same time as a plate of calamari and some Spanish ham and cheese.

Then the snacks kept coming as we each selected something. Some were disappointing like the olives but the spicey sausage more than made up for it. The most popular dish was the garlic mushrooms followed closely by the asparagus and then the prawns that I had selected. So only third place. But no medals anyway.

What an afternoon. It was perhaps the best afternoon of my life even though it had been a long walk and my heels were causing me some trouble by now.

The others laughed at me because I wanted to go back to the park to run in the grass. Jane said if I thought grass was wonderful she’d treat me to a foot spa over the weekend in the hotel.

I was ready now but I daren’t admit it.

Anyway we had to get back if I was working and I needed to get my case since I wanted some more comfortable shoes.
Had Jack remembered? I decided to call him.

He picked up immediately and asked if we were having fun. ‘Yes Jack. It’s great and I’m so grateful that you persuaded me to join them.’

‘OK Jules. I’ll chalk it to your account.’

That made me smile and in fact I felt myself giggling a bit and so I stood up and walked away from the others so I could talk to him with nobody ear wigging.’

‘Hows the bar is it busy?’

‘No we need someone to attract the punters like last night or the till will be rusting up.’
‘Oh really. Hasn’t she turned up again?’

‘Well I’ve looked all over the place for her but she’s gone AWOL. Probably forgotten all about me.’

‘Oh poor Jack.’

‘Yes poor Jack.’

‘Are you lonely?’

‘Well put it like this I’d have rather been outside in the sunshine than stuck inside this place’

‘Do you still want me to help you tonight.’

‘Is the Pope Catholic? Of course I do girl. Why are you having second thoughts now you’ve got money.’

‘No I just thought I’d ask in case you found someone to replace me.’

‘Ha Ha ….it’s your job to lose now after you’ve said that. I’ll not bother advertising then.’
‘You wish. I am on vacation you know.’

‘Yes I know. I’m soon forgotten now you have money again.’

‘OK you aren’t forgotten. How can I repay a good Samaritan who came to my rescue.’

‘I’d better not answer that just now. How long will you all be?’

‘How about if I’m there for six is that OK for you?’

‘I’ll just have time to lay out the red carpet.’

As we walked back to the hotel Debbie linked arms with me and said she’d be happy to explain a little more about what she’d said earlier.’

We all shared the bill and then set off with Debbie and I trailing behind by about 20 yards so we could chat in quiet.

To be continued……………

up
150 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Another Side of My Life - Chapter 7

Glad she is having fun with the girls.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Just when Debbie was about to dish the dirt...

Ole Ulfson's picture

The chapter ended!!! How can you do that to us girl? This is a wonderful story and you are holding the cards really close to your breast. Please continue!!!

Your loyal readers are panting for more,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Such a nice story unfinished... sad...

It's almost 20 month past due... So, should we write off that story as another dropout, or are you still going to write the rest of it?