Education in the Hills - chapter 30

Printer-friendly version

Hills_title.jpg


Art thee Munchkin,
or art thee a little girl?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W., Annette MacGregor and Holly H Heart
for their kindness, help, support, and input.


Education in the Hills
Chapter 30


By Penny Reed Cardon

December 24, 2004

As Mary Beth was starting on my first coat of cream for the day, I interrupted the process by starting a conversation, "MayBee? I've been thinking."

She stopped in mid-stroke on my left leg, pleading "You're not going to get us into trouble again, are you?"

"I keep telling you, I don't get into trouble-"

Mary Beth quickly interrupted me, as she resumed the application of the burn cream, "I know, I know! She follows you around, making a mess behind you, and you get blamed for everything she does."

"Exactly, but not this time. This time I'm going to do everything just right, talk with you first, then we'll go talk with Ellen: that way everything will work out and nobody will be visited by Ms. Trouble."

"Okay, okay, enough with the sugar coating, what were you thinking about?"

"I was thinking about Jane and the other kids at the hospital."

"And what about them?"

"Well, the other kids will probably have their families visiting, but Jane will be all alone, and not even have any presents to open."

"And just what do you plan to do about it?"

"I was thinking, if there's some material available. We could make some clothes for her teddy bear, maybe even a brother or sister bear."

"Not bad. How do you plan to get them delivered?"

"I haven't figured that part out yet."

"Well you can think about it while you're getting dressed, I'm finished with your back."

I continued lying on my bed, "You know, you're getting really good at giving a massage. I feel so good, kinda warm and tingly."

"Well, how about if you give me a massage sometime?"

"Sure thing. When and where, and should I use some cream or oil?"

"Neither, and I'm not taking my clothes off, ether!"

"Killjoy."

"Oh, hush up and get dressed."

"I thought you liked me in just a diaper?"

"No, I said you look cute in just a diaper, and you do. However, I don't think Ellen or anyone else, would think you were being cute if you ran around the school in just a diaper."

"You know, I think you’re right. Perhaps getting dressed would be a good idea," I kidded, as I disappeared into my closet.

"Good choice. By the way, how mad do you think Ellen is about us disappearing yesterday?" Mary Beth asked.

"I don't know. If Mom hadn't stepped in last night, my guess is we'd both be peeling potatoes for at least a week. Now that Ellen's had time to cool off, I just don't know."

"One thing’s for sure; we're going to be sitting in those wooden chairs."

"I don't know. With cooling off time we might get off easy," I replied, as I emerged from my closet. At least in my heart, I was praying for leniency.

Just before we left for our morning get together, in the year A lounge, I sent Ellen a note, requesting our visit with her be right after our breakfast. I was hoping she'd be in a good mood and we could talk about putting together a gift package for Jane.

When year A arrived in the cafeteria, late as usual, I noticed that Ellen was seated at one of the year C tables.

Moments after taking our seats, my PDA told me I had a new message. As I was putting the PDA away, Mary Beth leaned over and asked, "Was that from Ellen?"

"Yes. She's confirming our visit after breakfast," I replied.

"You're seeing Ellen again?" Hope asked.

"She's in trouble again," Mary Beth replied.

"I'm in trouble again?" I questioned. "If my memory is correct, there were two people being reprimanded outside the bus last night."

Sheepishly, Mary Beth corrected herself, "We're in trouble again."

"And we weren't even there to help you; get into trouble that is," Howard stated. "You two are awesome."

"Not to ruin our image, but we weren't trying to get into trouble," Mary Beth confessed.

"That's okay, every little bit helps," Howard chuckled.

"Helps what?" Malcolm Thornton asked, today's visiting psychiatrist.

"Helps maintain our reputation as the Black Sheep," Howard beamed.

"I'm really not sure that's a good thing," Malcolm professed.

"It's better than being referred to simply as year A."

"How do you mean."

"Well, as year A, we're just the next group of wiz kids, but as the Black Sheep, we're different. It sets us apart from everyone else, we are ... Unique."

Malcolm started laughing quietly, "Honestly, I'd never looked at it that way, and I don't think Mr. Peterson has either. I suppose we will have to re-evaluate some of our assessments."

"Trust me, Howard; 'After a time, you may find that having, is not always so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but often true'," I commented, adding to their discussion.

Mary Beth smiled and rubbed my shoulder. Everyone else looked at me as if they didn't know who I was. After a moment of being the center of attention, and the puzzled looks, I explained, "Wanting someone to think you're special may seem like a good thing, until they actually start to think you are special."

"Getting tired of being a celebrity?" Mary Beth whispered in my ear.

"That's an unusual analogy, Matilda. I wasn't aware that any school taught psychology to students your age," Malcolm commented.

"Amok Time," I replied.

"What?" Malcolm ask, somewhat perplexed.

Jenny giggled, explaining, "She is quoting Star Trek again."

"Oh," Malcolm expressed his understanding. Then he addressed Howard, "It's still something to think about, especially when one chooses the method in which one seeks to be considered unique."

Howard didn't have a reply. He shrugged his shoulders and went back to his breakfast; as did the rest of us.

~ ~ ~

"Come in," Ellen replied when we knocked on her office door. She must have gotten back to her office just a few minutes before we arrived.

"Welcome ladies, please be seated," she invited, as we entered. She also indicated we should sit in the chairs in front of her desk.

"I told you we'd get the chair," Mary Beth mumbled quietly.

"At least they don't have wires and leather straps," Ellen commented, with an evil smile.

Cautiously, we sat in the chairs indicated, facing Ellen's desk. We sat quietly, listening to the ticking of the clock, nervously waiting for Ellen to say something. It seemed like we'd been staring at each other for an hour, before Ellen broke the silence.

"Well now, would you like to explain why you two ran off without permission?"

Mary Beth and I slowly explained where we'd gone, who we'd talked with, what we learned about Jane and the other children in the hospital, and why we felt it was important. The whole time we were explaining things, Ellen sat back in her chair quietly listening.

Once we'd finished our story, Ellen continued to sit quietly, looking at the two of us. As for myself, I was getting nervous.

After what seemed like hours, Ellen stated, "You haven't answered my question. Why you two ran off without permission?"

Mary Beth and I looked at each other, dumfounded. I tried explaining why I felt our trip to pediatrics was important, when Ellen interrupted me.

"Matilda, I didn't ask you what you were doing. I asked why, you, of all the students here, knowing what you know … why you left the group without talking with one of the chaperones first? Why you felt it was acceptable to create a potential security breach, which could have possible endangered every one of the students at Immigration Manor?"

I was horrified as Ellen verbally slapped me from side to side. Totally deflated, I slumped in my seat, dropped my head to my hands, and stared at the floor for several hours. Okay, so it only seemed like several hours, but time appeared to stand still, as I contemplated what consequences my thoughtless actions may have caused.

Slowly I sat up. Looking at Mary Beth, I could see that she wasn't feeling any better about what we'd done, than I was. I held out my hand to my partner. She took my hand and we both took comfort in knowing we were there for each other.

With a heavy sigh, I looked at Ellen. Before I could speak, she asked, "To paraphrase TaPow, 'Art thee Munchkin, or art thee a little girl?"

I knew the reference, and I knew what Ellen was really asking. What I didn't know was how she knew I'd been quoting Amok Time, but that wasn't the time to be asking that type of question.

Sitting up straight, and as tall as I could, I was ready to face the consequences of my actions, as I proudly proclaimed, "I am Munchkin, Ellen. It was my idea, and I take full responsibility for our leaving the group without permission. I didn't think -"

"That's right, Matilda! You didn't think," Ellen interrupted. "That's something I’ve noticed about you, Matilda. I believe acting without thinking is one of your biggest faults. We'll have to work on that while you're with us. As for taking responsibility for Mary Beth's actions, you can only do that if she is not mentally able to act on her own. Being that that is not the case, Mary Beth must take responsibility for her own actions."

Somewhat deflated, and encouraged by Ellen's statement, I gave Mary Beth's hand a squeeze, "I tried."

"It’s okay. She's right, I could have said no."

"Say no, to one of my brilliantly scathing ideas?"

"Well, it is possible."

"All right you two, that's enough," Ellen exclaimed. "The matter we need to discuss is what form of disciplinary action is appropriate. When I was your age, if I'd disappeared during a school fieldtrip, the principal would have been within his rights to lay me across his knee and give me a sound spanking, with nothing but my under garments to provide me protection from the sting of his hand, after which, I would be given a letter to take home, explaining to my parents, why I'd been spanked by the principal. More than likely, my father would have repeated the previous disciplinary action without the benefit of protection."

Mary Beth and I sat quietly, both in shock at the prospect of being spanked by Mr. Peterson. Timidly I asked, "They don't spank the students here, do they?"

"Merciful heavens no! By today's standards, such discipline would be considered abusive, not to mention that I'd hang anyone I caught abusing my childre - um, the students." Ellen paused for a moment after what almost appeared to be a slip of the tongue. "But I'll tell you this, children back then, learned very quickly what was acceptable and what was not.

“Now, as for what to do with you two; what you did was very serious and could have had catastrophe consequences. Not the type of actions one would have expected from adults, or our two youngest adults. In fact, I would consider such irresponsible actions ... almost childish."

"You don't mean?" I asked.

"From now until New Year's eve," Ellen stated dryly.

"Not the pink toddler dresses?" Mary Beth gasped.

Ellen was silent for several seconds, as the prospect of being dressed as toddlers slowly etched its way into our minds.

"Did I say anything about pink dresses?" Ellen finally asked.

"No - but you said what we did was childish, and when two of the students from year C pulled a childish prank, they were put into the pink dresses," I blurted hastily.

Ellen quickly replied, "You are correct on two out of three points you made. First, the prank that Ruthanne and Michelle engaged in, was without a doubt, childish. Second, they were required to wear frilly pink dresses for three days. Your third point was incorrect. I did not say your actions were childish. I said your actions were almost childish, and it's that almost, that is your reprieve. As it turned out, even though your actions were thoughtless, your intentions were honorable. It is simply the act of not asking permission, that was in error, and it is for your disappearance that you will receive disciplinary action. From now until New Years Eve, you two are under what we call ‘house arrest’. Hopefully, a week of asking permission, to move about the school will reminded you to ask permission, when you're away from the school."

So far, I'd said and assumed all the wrong things. I knew I was confused by what Ellen had just said, but I didn't want to make things worse by saying the wrong thing. I looked at Mary Beth, hoping to see some sign that she understood. To my great disappointment, she appeared to be more confused than I was.

Reluctantly I asked, "House arrest?" Ellen nodded, as I continued. "We have to do what, exactly?"

Ellen replied slowly and with clarity, "From now until midnight, on New Years Eve, you are to send me a message, via your PDA's, requesting permission, any time you wish to move about the school. The only exception will be, moving about between your rooms. Other than that, you must ask permission to move from room, to room or building to building."

After processing the rules we were to live by for a few moments, I had a question, "Are we each to send a request?"

"If you are together and will be going to the same destination, only one request will be necessary. Indicate that the request is for both of you and trade off who sends the request. If you're separated, then of course, you will each need to send me your request," Ellen clarified.

"Oh well, I guess that's not so bad," I relented.

"Not so bad?" Mary Beth asked rhetorically. "Speak for yourself. I haven't been so restricted since I was five. I thought you said that after Ellen knew why we went upstairs and had a night to think about it, she'd go easy on us."

Obviously, Mary Beth's last statement was directed at me, however Ellen answered, "I am taking it easy on you. Last night I would have made it a week in the pink dresses."

"That's okay! A week of house arrest is more than enough time to think about what we did wrong. Thank you for your kindness and understanding," I quickly agreed with Ellen's choice of discipline, tugging on Mary Beth's arm so she wouldn't say something silly and make matters worse. Little did I know that my un-harnessed tongue had already made things worse.

"And!" Ellen stated.

"And?" Mary Beth questioned.

"And, because it looks like Matilda thinks this isn't too bad, I'm adding two days kitchen duty; the twenty-sixth and the thirty-first."

"WHAT?" Mary Beth cried out, as she almost twisted my arm off. I suppose she wanted to make sure I wouldn't be saying anything.

"Two days isn't enough?" Ellen calmly asked.

"Two days is very reasonable, thank you," I quickly replied.

"You're quite welcome," Ellen added. "Now if there's nothing else."

Mary Beth got up and started for the door, almost dragging me out of my chair. When I didn't 'come quietly' she stopped and glared at me.

"Is there something else, Matilda?" Ellen asked.

"Well ... I was just wondering if there was something we could do for Jane and the other children at the Logan hospital," I meekly replied.

Sitting forward, Ellen asked, "What did you have in mind?"

"Umm, I was thinking that Jane's teddy bear could use some clothes and maybe a friend; assuming there is some material and stuffing left over. As for the other children, I don't know; I guess whatever toys we have the supplies available to make would be good. Of course, then somehow we have to get everything there," I was kind of rambling at this point.

"Matilda, you're amazing. I was five minutes away from calling in the mobile security detachment because you were missing. You could have caused the closure of this school. You've earned yourself and your study partner a week’s discipline, and still you are thinking about the welfare of others. What do you have to say for yourself?"

I smiled timidly, as I replied, "It's a flaw in my character."

"A flaw in your character," Ellen repeated, shaking her head. "Matilda, I wish there were more people in this world with such a flaw. I will say this for you, this time you're a little slow."

"What do you mean?"

"Yes, slow. The rest of your caroling group asked and were granted permission to make more toys last night."

"You knew about this last night, and you didn't say anything?" Mary Beth asked.

"They say confession is good for the soul," Ellen replied simply.

"I'm not so sure I agree," Mary Beth complained.

"Ellen, can Mary Beth and I help with the toys?" I asked.

"I have no objections. I'm pretty sure the others will appreciate your help and enjoy your company. They are working in building C, room 312."

"Ellen, how will the toys get to the hospital?" Mary Beth asked

"It just so happens that I will be leaving shortly after noon. Traditionally, I spend Christmas day with my brother and his family, in southern Idaho. On the twenty-sixth, I will be going on to Boise to spend some time helping a very troubled young man. I'll be dropping the gifts at the hospital on my way."

"Ellen ... Is there anyway Mary Beth and I could -"

"Matilda! Don't even think about it!" Ellen cut me off in mid question. "You're lucky you aren't under a computer restriction, along with everything else."

"Yes Ellen," I timidly replied.

As we were about to open the door, I remembered a little piece of information.

"Ellen, isn't Boise where-" I didn’t finish my question.

"Yes?"

"Never mind, it's not important," I conceded.

Mary Beth was about to open the door, when Ellen interrupted our thoughts, and actions.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Ellen asked, as she held up her PDA.

Smiling, I pulled out my PDA. Quickly, typing a short note, requesting permission for Mary Beth and myself to journey to building C, room 312. Also, requesting permission to make a pit stop in the restroom on the first floor of building C, while in route.

A moment later, Ellen's PDA beeped with the incoming message. She casually picked it up again. Scanning the message, she made a few key strokes and my PDA beeped.


>> Permission granted. <<

~ ~ ~

"What took you two so long?" Susanne asked, as we entered room 312.

"We didn't know you guys were throwing a party," Mary Beth jokingly answered.

"What do you mean, didn't know about it?" Russell asked. "It's because of what you learned at the hospital that we asked Ellen if we could make some more toys."

"And it's because of how we came by that information that we had an early meeting with Ellen. So, how can we help?" I added.

Roberta, being the oldest, had the job of organizer thrust upon her. She quickly assigned Mary Beth and me the job of stuffers. There were three bears and two dolls waiting to be stuffed, when we sat down. The bears were fairly easy to stuff; the dolls took more time to get the stuffing just right. After all, who wants a doll with lumpy arms and legs?

"So it's true, you two are in trouble again?" Shawana asked, as we started stuffing.

"Are you kidding, did you see the way Ellen was chewing them out when they came out of the hospital, last night?" Crystal asked.

"So what happened?" asked Cory.

"We're under house arrest," Mary Beth answered glumly.

"Ouch, that's no fun," Roberta commented.

"What's house arrest?” Shawana wanted to know.

“Normally, someone under house arrest would have an electronic device attached to their ankle; the police would be alerted if they left their house,” Marshal started.

Roberta continued. “Because we can’t leave the school grounds anyway, they came up with something a little different. You have to send a request to one of the counselors, any time you want to move around the school.”

“That doesn’t sound so horrible,” Cory stated. “I mean, sending a note to tell someone where you are going, doesn’t sound so tuff.”

“Oh no, it’s not informing someone where you’re going. You are asking permission, and you have to wait until permission is given, before you can go where you want to go,” Marshal corrected.

“Anywhere you need to go?” Shawana asked.

“That’s right,” Roberta confirmed. “Anywhere and everywhere, and if you forget to ask first, or don’t go where you had permission to go; then you’re really in trouble.”

“What do you mean?” Mary Beth asked.

I’ve heard ghost stories before and I’ve never been scared by them, but after Marshal’s story, I was just a bit nervous. “Two years ago Tommy, from year D, was placed under house arrest; I guess he was year B then. Anyway, he thought it was a joke and skipped asking permission a couple of times. I don’t know how they knew he wasn’t where he was supposed to be, but they knew. The next thing we knew, Tommy had kitchen duty, for two weeks. One week for each time he’d skipped asking permission. To this day Tommy can’t eat potatoes without looking like he’s going to be sick.”

Before Marshal finished telling us about Tommy, I had my PDA out and was franticly trying to learn something new. Because I knew how they would know where we were, I wasn’t taking any chances.

Mary Beth looked over and read what was on my screen. “We stopped in the restroom on our way here. Why are you requesting permission to go again?” she whispered.

“I’m trying to set this up to automatically send this message ten minutes before my alarm goes off. We’ve already got two days kitchen duty I have no intention of making it a week or more,” I whispered back.

“Good thinking. While you’re at it, why don’t you set up some standard requests that will only take a couple of keystrokes to send? That’ll save us some typing time.”

“Good idea, MayBee. Once I get it figured out I’ll copy the messages and commands to your PDA.”

“You can do that?” she asked.

I paused and looked at her. I’m sure I had a silly grin on my face.

“Okay, forget that I asked that question, but is that going to take very long? We have some stuffing to do.” Mary Beth shook her head as she went back to stuffing a bear.

While I was busy learning how to do something new. A teddy bear and half a doll later, I was finished, and happily got back to work on the doll I’d started.

Once all the gifts were assembled, wrapped, and Mary Beth and I had received permission to go along, the whole group carried everything out to Ellen's car. As everything was being loaded, I motioned for Ellen to step aside so I could ask her a question.

"Ellen?" I started to ask.

Ellen interrupted me, saying, "Matilda, I told you before that you are not coming with me."

"Oh, no, that's not what I wanted to ask. With you away, to whom should we send our requests; you know, to move around the school to?" I quiet asked.

“Sorry, that is a valid question. Let’s see … I guess there aren’t many choices. Who knows you’re being disciplined and is going to be here? I guess you’re stuck with Mr. Peterson,” Ellen finally concluded.

“Terrific,” I moaned.

“Is there a problem I should know about?” Ellen asked, with genuine concern.

“No, not a real problem I guess. Let’s just say he isn’t one of my favorite people right now,” I timidly admitted, while lightly patting my padded bottom.

“I understand,” Ellen admitted. “We’ll talk about that after I get back, all right?”

I nodded and we went back to the others, who had finished packing Ellen’s car while we were talking. We all wished her a safe journey, just as another snowstorm started to lightly throw snowflakes around.

December 25, 2004

Christmas day didn't go quite as we'd expected, not bad, just not as expected; but then I’m not sure what we expected. After all this was our first Christmas away from our real families.

Everyone had worn their charm bracelets that morning, although without any charms they all looked like just gold or silver chains. Before going to breakfast, everyone exchanged the small gifts of affection which we'd selected for our study partners. There were several sets of small pliers available so the charms could be attached.

Breakfast was quieter than usual. There were no announcements, and very few conversations going on, at least at the two year A tables. I didn't know what was on the minds of my fellow classmates. As for me, I was thinking of my family and of Christmases gone by. I was pretty sure that Mary Beth was thinking about similar events as she kept wiping her eyes with her napkin. It didn't seem like the others were as upset as Mary Beth, but then they didn't know what we knew. There were times I wished I didn't know some of what I knew.

Breakfast consumed, it being a Saturday, we accompanied the rest of the year back to the lounge, after sending and receiving the obligatory request for permission. While there, my PDA started vibrating. Yes, it was my bathroom reminder and a message from Mr. Peterson. It seems the restroom adjacent to the year lounge has the same exemption as the facilities joining our bedrooms, no permission needed. 'Oh well, better safe than sorry.'

Being Christmas day, Mary Beth and I dressed a little nicer than usual. Of course, being dressed differently than the rest of the year, brought about a bit more heckling than normal. Actually, the heckling comes in cycles, so I wasn't exactly sure what normal heckling was.

Rachael received her big Christmas gift from Dr. Harris a day early. She was overjoyed to be given her arms back. That is, they removed the casts from her arms. She was so happy, it was like she was a different person. In fact, she was so happy about being able to brush her own hair and teeth, she almost didn't tease me about how I was dressed, being the most girly of the three and dressing with a bit more frillies. After all, what are little sisters for?

Around noon, we received a note from Mr. Roberts recommending we go to bed at 8:00pm. When we replied asking why so early, we were reminded that we were scheduled to be in the kitchen at 5:00am.

There was no choir practice. It was Christmas day after all, but at seven that evening, there was a Christmas play being presented by one of the other church groups. For the lack of anything better to do, all the students and most of the staff, were in attendance. The play was followed by Mrs. T inviting the different caroling groups on stage, to sing a carol or two.

After several groups had performed for those assembled, Mrs. T did something I would not have guessed, or in my worst nightmare ever imagined.

"Before I ask another group to the stage," Mrs. T started. "I'd like two girls to come up and perform a duet for you, although it might not be the kind of duet you are expecting. Both have exceptional musical gifts, although one of the girls has been hiding her talents. I'd like everyone to welcome Mary Beth to the stage." Almost everyone started clapping as Mary Beth stood up. "And her study partner Matilda." The auditorium suddenly went silent, as I tried to disappear into the seats.

"Come now Matilda, don't be shy."

I stayed in my seat, refusing to move.

"Do we need a little encouragement?" Mrs. T asked rhetorically. "Very well, who would like to hear Matilda perform?"

I don't know who she paid off, but quite a few started to applaud. I looked around and saw that those who were clapping were from our caroling group.

Mary Beth came back to where I was sitting. Smiling, she held out her hand to me. It took me a few moments to remember one little detail, I was at Immigration Manor. I didn't know what Mrs. T had up her sleeve, but she wasn't planning to humiliate or embarrass me. Still somewhat reluctant, I took Mary Beth's hand and slowly stood up.

There was obviously mixed feelings as we went up the steps to the stage; as evidenced by the mixture of sounds from the audience. Not to mention the rubbery feeling in my knees.

As we stopped in front of Mrs. T, I timidly asked, "You really want me to sing?"

"But of course, Matilda, you sing beautifully," Mrs. T replied, causing both Mary Beth and me to look at each other in bewilderment. "Don't forget, I heard you singing the other night. Where most people sing with their voices, you sing with your hands."

Looking off stage, Mrs. T called for Darryl, who came out from behind a curtain pushing a cart with a glockenspiel. I smiled as I realized what Mrs. T meant by singing with my hands.

"Have fun, Munchkin," Darryl said, as he left the glockenspiel for me.

Mary Beth and I turned towards Mrs. T, and I asked, "What did you have in mind?"

"I wasn't there to hear her, but I'm told that Mary Beth did a beautiful rendition of ‘Silent Night’ in a restaurant in Nebraska. I know you play that carol exceptionally well. After that, I thought we'd have the rest of your group come up and all of you do ‘Carol of the Bells’."

We agreed and Mrs. T left the two of us on center stage. I remembered how slow a tempo Mary Beth had used to sing ‘Silent Night’ and gently tapped a mallet on the glockenspiel case. A nod from Mary Beth told me I had the tempo right and I started the intro.

There was an uncomfortable pause as we finished. I almost thought we'd put everyone to sleep; that is until I heard someone way in the back start clapping. Not the normal applause, where everyone claps their hands together quickly. This was slow clapping, about once per second, and it had an almost authoritative sound to it, if that's possible. The clapping spread quickly throughout the auditorium, everyone synchronizing together. What's more, everyone was standing up.

I couldn't believe it, Mary Beth and I were receiving a standing ovation. That was the first and only standing ovation that evening. I wasn't sure of the meaning for the synchronized applause, but it must have some significance, something to research later.

It seemed like Mary Beth and I had been standing there for hours, though I'm sure it was only a few seconds, before Mrs. T came back over, to join us.

"Thank you, Mary Beth. It seems the report I received about your performance in Nebraska was understated. Matilda, you have certainly found your musical calling." There was another round of applause, the normal kind.

When the applause died down, Mrs. T invited the rest of our caroling group to join us. The applause after ‘Carol of the Bells’ was pretty much normal.

Several other groups were called up, but we were the only duet. That is, if you wanted to call what we did as a duet. Personally, I'd call what we did, a solo with accompaniment.

So much for getting to bed by eight o’clock, it was much later than that by the time we got to bed. We just hoped there would be some time for a nap sometime tomorrow.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Appologie to the readers.

I apologize for taking so long in getting this chapter posted. I was trying to conclude Matilda's calender year in one chapter, but it just kept growing and growing. I finally decided to split the chapter into two. I hope you all enjoy this offering and I promise to have the next chapter posted before the ball falls, on New Years Eve.
 

   
Huggs & Giggles

Penny Reed Cardon

Very nice update. :) The

Gwendolyn's picture

Very nice update. :) The punishment definitely fit the crime. Annoying, but should get the point across nicely. I don't think Matilda's character flaw is she is too nice though. The girl's problem I think is that she "makes an ass out of you and me" way too often. I do hope there is a way for her to learn that lesson a bit easier then some of her others. Finally, was it just me reading too much into things, or was Ellen fishing for a reaction with all of the family visit talk? Sometimes I think the woman has it mixed up when to be straight forward and when to beat around the bush. Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep reading. Maybe I'll figure what about her actually gets under my skin eventually. Hallmark of a good character that, love them or hate them, you care.

Take your time..

Truly wonderful stories cannot be rushed or hurried. Another wonderful chapter in Matilda's life. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Education in the Hills - Chapter 30

Always fun to see the Trouble Twins, again.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

great story

always glad to see a new chapter of this story. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Pink Toddler Dresses

Does Immigration Manor have a consulting contract with Jane Thompson?

G/R

Jane Thompson?

I'm sorry, I don't know the reference.
 

   
Huggs & Giggles

Penny Reed Cardon

Momma Jane or Aunt Jane

Jane Thompson from Joel Lawrence and Tigger. http://www.tigger-n-brandy.net/Janehome.html

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

GREAT CHAPTER

Thanks Penny,
it is really niece to see the story continuing,and will be patiently waiting for the next installment to be posted:)

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Positively delightful

Good to learn of further happenings at Immigration Manor.

Susie

Black sheep indeed!

Well, punishment fits the crime, though I was as surprised as Matilda by possible consequences. I like this story so much, not at least partly because all the mischief these two sheeps get into. That Boise remark promises something interesting will happen and I am hoping to finally see what Matilda has in store for infamous Black Bart... Or perphaps she will finally dismantle and break (at least to me) most offending rule of S.P.A. Universum - not seeing families ever again?

But to make long speech short: Its good to see you back Penny!

Or perphaps she will finally

Gwendolyn's picture

Or perphaps she will finally dismantle and break (at least to me) most offending rule of S.P.A. Universum - not seeing families ever again?

Unfortunately, we know from A New Style of Education that this rule is in place at least through next year when the Black Sheep are Year B. We also know Matilda was still bottling up her feelings about that then. So my conclusion is that there is still some pain to come. Hopefully Matilda is part of the process that makes the powers that be reexamine that rule, but we will have to see. I do hope so. That rule is the one thing that keeps me from completely adoring these stories. Everything else that happens I can handle. Some things are emotional, but so worth the read. What that rule does to the kids though, that upsets me something awful. Hopefully we'll know what happens with it, but my guess is that there is a lot that's going to happen first.

Ouch

Renee_Heart2's picture

House arrest for 2 weeks & kitchen duty for 2 days, when will Matilda learn to keep her big mouth shut lol? Not to menchion how she reacts with out thinking at times it cay pay off but at times... Well just gets her in trouble like this time only this time Mary Beth is involved. Although the intentions were good little Ms. Trouble finds & strikes Matilda again as usual.

Look foward to the next chapter of this story.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

She/he is quoting...

...spock...ost. It is the episode where spocks vulcan wife wants stahn and not spock. When it comes time to consumate (through pahn-farh)their marriage the woman challenges instead of confirms the marriage. She then chooses kirk instead of stahn as her champion to fight spock to the death. The quote she uses is what spock says to stahn warning him that he will grown tired of the manipulative ways of this woman.

Refuses to acknowledge the truth

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time Matilda does something without thinking it through, she gets in trouble. And yet, every time she refuses to acknowledge she just got into trouble. She pawns it off on her favorite reason that trouble follows her.

Why does she have problems admitting she got into trouble? Is she so arrogant to think she never does anything wrong? She bypassed security and got into Jausha. She broke into several off site systems to find more information about the Roberts family. And to Matilda, she did nothing wrong. Because she sees it as a good cause.

Ellen thinks needing to ask permission before going anywhere around the school will teach Matilda a lesson. But she's wrong. Just as she thinks two days of kitchen duty will also help.

If Matilda feels it's for a good cause, permission or not, she'll get an idea then act.

Others have feelings too.