Christine's Love - Part 2

Printer-friendly version
----------=BigCloset Retro Classic!=----------

They were good friends through their early years in college,
until one day Hunter asked Christine to go along on a family vacation.
"The worst blizzard in 20 years" hits while they are waiting on his parents arrival.
What will happen when he learns of her secret?
Will he spurn her? Love her?

Take a little trip with these two friends as they sort out a brief encounter with the Medallion of Zulo.

Christine's Love
Part 2

by Anon Allsop

Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2011, 2015 Anon Allsop
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Admin Note: Originally published on BigCloset TopShelf on Monday 12-05-2011 at 07:47:42 pm, this retro classic was pulled out of the closet, and re-presented for our newer readers. ~Sephrena
 
Image Credits: Title Picture purchased and licensed for publishing from 123rf.com. The model(s) in this image is in / and are no way connected with this story nor supports nor conveys the issues and situations brought up within the story. The model(s) use is solely used for the representation of looks of the main character(s) of this particular story. ~Sephrena

Divider licensed for use in publishing from Photoshopgraphics.com ~Sephrena.

Historical Versions: Originally posted at Fictionmania in 2003, and on BigCloset TopShelf in 2011 and Retro Classiced by same site in 2015. ~Sephrena.

Legalities: This work is the copyrighted material of the respective author. ~Anon Allsop.
 

Antique-Dividers-4.png

 
Chapter 5
 
The days slowly trudged on... from one day into the next, on and on. Each morning I would swing past her home and pick her up, our conversations would be mostly of the latest topic... classes, movies, music, or what have you. On the weekends, we would pal around, go to the Mall, maybe take in a movie or just hang out. Not once did I ever try to pursue a relationship with Christine other than being a good friend. For that I could sense her relief, as she slowly dropped her vigilant guard around me, finally becoming comfortable.

Most of our close friends knew that we weren't an item, and they were ok with it. She had even confided once, that by being with me, none of the usual suspects were hitting on her. When I thought about it, she was right; and that suited me just fine. The guys stopped approaching her after our sophomore year in college... assuming that we were going out or something. But, the girls had also stopped approaching me as well... but I didn't mind, there was always that chance that she would come around... at least I could hope.

Christine had taken to wearing a thin silver ring on her left hand that had a clear white stone... it looked very much like a diamond engagement ring. When I asked her about it, she laughed, saying that it was glass... and if people thought it was a solitaire engagement ring, so be it, at least it kept the guys away. I only secretly hoped that nobody on my side of the family would get the wrong impression... and wished it was my ring that she was wearing.

My family had all come to know and love Christine, they secretly hoped as I did that she would love me in the way that I did her. My mother encouraged me to be patient and advised me to stay the course by remaining her friend. I felt mother was correct and decided if I were to be ‘just a friend’, I would be her best friend.

My life was consumed by being with her... my days and evenings were spent either talking with her during school, in the car, on the phone... everywhere. The whole time she and I became closer, but that was the way it always ended…as friends.

Over time Christine gradually changed... for the better. No, sadly she and I didn't develop any relationship other than a great bonding friendship. Either of us would have done anything for the other, such was the type of friendship we shared.

I had talked her into joining an off campus Sorority the summer between our sophomore and junior year in college, if it did anything it would help her with bringing out her feminine side. It was strange, I wasn't at all worried that she would prefer women over guys, I just was certain that she wasn't gay... in fact, I don't think she was interested in either sex at the moment.

The change over her during those two years was incredible; she started wearing clothing that seemed more in line with her personality... which was sporty. Her jean preference had slowly changed from the baggy, grungy look to a more form fitting style that accentuated her great looking frame. She wore very conservative tops and blouses... but during that whole time, I never saw her in a dress. I remember being surprised when I saw that she had started to lightly wear make-up and shape her eyebrows making her eyes even more beautiful than they had already been. I knew that I could thank her involvement with the Sorority that she belonged to, they along with subtle hints from me, were bringing her closer to that feminine side that I was sure lurked deep inside of that wonderful woman.

Christine would never be caught with anything considered revealing... just practical, but that was fine with me. She was coming closer, moving slowly toward her feminine side; and the closer she got, the more I found I needed her. She was slowly transforming into the beauty that I knew simmered just below the surface; I was just happy that I was the only guy that she seemed comfortable around.

The best moments I had with her been when I would dream at night. There we were more than friends, we were lovers. I fondly would recall the next morning how I would hold and cuddle with her in my dreams, the nearness and seemingly realness of those captured moments with Christine would be burned deep into my brain, carrying me on with a smile throughout the day.

The price of being her friend though was frustrating in a sense because here she would stand beside me; but her love, what I wanted more than anything... was just beyond my reach. I think she honestly knew that I was in love with her, but for whatever reason she maintained her distance...and that distance seemed like a chasm in my heart.

I continued to painfully follow my mother’s advice…I would wait. Waiting a lifetime if necessary, only hoping beyond hope that the end result would make Christine my wife.

All the while, over the three and a half year span that our friendship bloomed, I had kept in touch with Nick. He was muddling on through college like me, seeming to have a love interest but really didn't know how to approach her... also like me. He wanted her desperately but was afraid to make the first move... I told him that I knew the feeling. It was rough but we agreed that it was well worth the wait.

The best thing about Nick was that he was there, albeit online, when I needed him the most. I could talk with him about anything, he knew that I had a real thing for Christine and wanted to move beyond being her friend. His advice was to take our time and give her plenty of room. I was tired of waiting; but Nick was right, something was troubling Christine, keeping her at arms length. The wait was excruciating, but I was determined to be there when she was ready, no matter how long it took.

Christine and I were becoming very fond of each other's company, but it never would go beyond a pal or best buddy sort of thing. I loved to hear her laugh; so much that I would make a joke... just to hear her light giggle. The sound of it made me smile long after we would part company.

I found over those years that she was quite athletic, well... she liked sports. Her competitive nature made her so much fun to tease, but that never stopped Christine, she wasn't afraid to go at me in a game of basketball. She actually wasn't that bad, but would laugh when I suggested that she try out for our college team. Her excuse was her height, she was right I would have to agree, she wasn't the tallest drink of water out there... at about 5'6", she was downright small. I didn't mind, to me... she was perfect.

This past summer I had invited Christine to go along with my family and I to the coast for some fun in the sun. She went, but not one time did she venture out in anything other than shorts and a light shirt. Secretly, I had hoped that at least once I would get to see her in something a bit more revealing like a bikini...sadly no. Although, what I saw wasn't terrible mind you, just covered... and she did have spectacular looking legs, so it wasn't a complete loss.

Our best moment that I can fondly think back on was when she and I were walking along the beach toward sunset, letting the waves wash across our bare feet. We were in a particularly normal conversation as we walked along, slowly approaching four guys playing sand volleyball. They noticed that we weren't holding hands and assumed that we were brother and sister, or some sort of non intimate way. One particular guy, who looked like the body builder type, called out to her. She ignored him... then he shouted to me saying something like, "Hey buddy... ask your sister if she'd like to touch my muscle." That brought a chorus of laughter from his friends.

I'm not the biggest guy around but at 6'3 and 230 pounds... I can hold my own pretty well. I hesitated for only a moment and felt her tiny hand grasp mine. "Come on Hunter, don't pay them any attention," she said low so only I could hear her.

I remember walking along with her for a few steps when I realized that she never let go of my hand, I assumed that she was trying to make the guys watching think we were lovers... and believe me, they were watching. I didn't care; she was leaning in against me brushing my elbow. Then, as if to add to their watching eyes, she slowly circled her other hand around my arm. I could never recall a time that I wished I could freeze more than that one; I wanted to walk on like this forever.

We walked like this as the setting sun slowly painted the sky with its yellow's and pinks, almost a half mile of shoreline passed before she finally let go, I think she realized then that she was still clinging my arm. The removal of her loving embrace saddened me because it felt so natural to feel her closeness, her touch and warmth…her body so near. The best part of the whole experience was that since then, anytime she felt a bit threatened she wouldn't hesitate to hold my hand and give the illusion to those watchful eyes that we were an item... I didn't care, I was in heaven.

School began, and we were now entering into our senior year. I couldn't believe that this was the last year we would be coming back to this campus. I was only a few classes shy of my degree in Industrial Engineering, while Christine was finishing up her Bachelors in Elementary Education. She would make a great teacher; all kids seemed to love her.

Life trudged along, seasons slowly changed from late summer heat to the crisp coolness of autumn. Slowly, that too gave way to the rush of the Christmas season and the light feathery snow of early winter. I had just parked the car in our usual spot and we got out, gradually Christine and I made our way across campus toward Bonaventure Hall where we shared that first class during our freshman year.

I wanted to ask her something but felt a loss for words, she knew that I had something on my mind and as usual, didn't press me to divulge my thoughts. I pulled up short by a great pine tree and with the light snowflakes swirling softly in a gentle breeze, she stopped too pulling her stocking cap down over her beautiful tiny ears; looking beautiful as her long hair fell around her shoulders.

"Hey... um, Christine, I was wondering if you had any plans over the Christmas holiday?" I said while blinking the snow from an eyelid.

"Nothing much... why?" Her breath hung in a cloud until it was pushed away by the light breeze.

"The folks have a cabin in Vale and... I asked them if you could come up with me. Uh... that is if you wanted to."

It seemed that my blood was rushing out my toes as I felt weak and cold, waiting on her answer; though I wasn't sure if it was from the weather or just being so near to the one I loved. "I'll understand if you don't want to go along."

She smiled, her golden hair peeking out from under the cap she wore. "Sure... sounds like fun."

I grinned at her, even though she was all bundled up for winter, I could see the glorious beauty that was hidden from the view of most everyone else. She continued as we turned toward the building, "It's been quite awhile since I've skied. I used to go all the time when I was a kid, you remember..." Her voice trailed off.

"Remember what?" I asked holding the door open for her.

"...uh... remember how it was trying to stay on those things when all your body wanted to do was streak in a straight line." We continued our way inside the building.

"Yeah, Nick and I used to go all the time when we were kids. One time when I was showing him how to go down a hill, I started using the zigzag motion going downhill and when I got to the bottom, I looked back and he was nowhere to be found." I was chuckling as I told her the story recalling how crazy he was on skis.

"...you turned around and he beat you down the hill..." She laughed along with me.

"Yeah, he shot down that puppy like greased lightning..." I laughed, and then realized what she had said. "Have I told you this one before?"

She gave me a wry look and laughed, "No... Something like that happened to me once as well."

"So where is it again that we'll be staying?" She asked as we approached the classroom where I had to leave her. I felt like she was trying to change the subject, but left it there and answered her question.
"It's a cool cabin up in the mountains, not far from all the lifts and lodges." We paused at the door. "My folks have been going there for years... but it has been about 4 since we last went out there. In fact the last time I was out there, Nick was along."

"It has been awhile then, hasn't it?" She smiled and reached for the door handle. "I'll wait for you in the lobby after class... okay?"

"Sure." I smiled as she quickly spun and the long length of hair that extended past her hat was suddenly flipped outward. "I'll see you after class."

"I'll be waiting, just watch for my smiling face," she laughed. I slowly closed my eyes and wished that would only be true, only I wanted her to be the first face I saw when I awoke, and the last I saw before sleep.

She was true to her word, as soon as class ended I approached the Lobby, she was there. Of course, I knew my Christine well and she never disappointed me. I saw her long before she realized that I was nearing her, sitting comfortable at the end of the long couch with her legs tucked up under her. She was slowly leafing through a magazine, while other female students in the room were watching soap opera's. I watched her throw it back on a table as I stepped inside the room, it was the most recent copy of Sports Illustrated. Inwardly, I smiled.

She noticed me coming toward her and smiled. "Hey Hunter." She started to gather up her books. "So, where do you want to eat today?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Anywhere would be fine." But in my mind I was thinking, "As long as it's with you..." But I wouldn't dare say that to her, instead I just smiled.

"Well... how about Charlie's" she suggested while she put her coat on.

She picked up three thick books from the table and balanced them on one arm, but before she could, I grabbed the strap of her book bag. "Here, let me help you with this."

She laughed. "Such the gentleman…" and then watched as I hoisted it to over my own shoulder.

"Wait a minute…If you're going to carry that for me... then I'll take this." She took my single book and added it to the three in her arms.

I used my back to force the door open, holding it for her to pass, "You sure about Charlie's?" Once she walked out the door I let it go and followed. "It's kind of messy."

"That's half the fun of it," she giggled. "There isn't anything better than a real messy Bar-B-Q for lunch." She used her shapely hip to bump into me playfully.

I laughed and bumped her back, sending her stumbling slightly away. She laughed and attempted to poke me in the seat with her toe. This was why I loved her so; she was unlike any girl I had ever known. Sure, she was spectacular to look at... but for a dainty little thing to love western style Bar-B-Q was quite rare. She loved playing sports, reading Sports Illustrated and watching football on TV with me. I smiled as I watched her walk down the steps toward the sidewalk; the funniest thing was that she probably knew more about the sport than I did. People sitting around us at games seemed surprised that this little thing could tell the differences from a split backfield and a power 'I'. Most of them would look at me really envious... wishing that their wives or girlfriends had her knowledge of the game.

We crossed the Campus as the light snow had given a thin layer of white to the brown dormant grass, effectively covering it from view with its stark beauty. As we approached the lot, I was trying to figure out how I would fish out my keys when she beat me to the punch. Sitting the four books she was holding on my fender, she smiled and raised her eyebrows playfully. "Which pocket?"

I was a bit surprised, but managed to open my mouth. "Uh... right side."

She then gave me a grin and pulled the glove from her slender hand. "Now this doesn't mean we're engaged."

I felt her slim hand enter my pocket and was wishing that my keys were closer to my crotch... just for that little innocent thrill. But what she was doing was enough to flavor my imagination. I soon heard the jingle of my keys as she pulled them into view. "Well...that wasn't too painful, was it?" she smiled.

I laughed as she opened the door and deposited the bags into the back seat. "No...But now I feel like I should be having a cigarette."

She shoved me from behind, causing me to fall partially into the car. "Oh, missy... for that you will pay!" She laughed and ran across a short bit of grass to get away from me, it didn't work because I made a snow ball from what had gathered on the car and threw it at her.

I began to smile when she tried to duck from my throw and ended up on her back in the snow laughing uncontrollably. I walked on across and helped her up, brushing the snow from her clothes. She still giggled as she threw a handful of snow into my face that she had been hiding in her hand.

"You're such a stinker." I snatched her hat and wiped the snow off of my face, causing her long golden blonde hair to fall about her shoulders. She quickly grabbed it back and pulled it on, trapping her hair under its protective material.

I turned and began to walk back the short distance to the car when I suddenly was blindsided by a weight on my back, throwing me off balance and in the snow face first. I knew almost the instant it happened, what she had done. "Ooohh... you need to be taught a lesson!" I pulled her off and scrambled to my feet.

She was laying there with a goofy look on her face, no sound coming from her mouth. I wasn't sure if she was hurt or laughing, it was revealed soon enough though. She took a huge breath and began to laugh heartily, rolling back on the ground and holding her stomach the snow sticking to her everywhere.

I picked up a small handful of snow and sprinkled it on her face, she was laughing too hard to notice. She was even making me laugh with her as I took her by the hand and stood her up. My only problem was that her uncontrollable laughter was making it difficult for her to stand, let alone walk. I grabbed her hands and turned my back to her, pulling her up. In this way, I carried her back to the car and deposited her still laughing, into the passenger seat then buckled her up.

I closed her door and walked around to my side and climbed in, she was just beginning to calm down. Smiling, I buckled myself up and put the key into the ignition starting the car, "I told you that I would make you pay." She began to laugh uncontrollably again...I just smiled and shook my head.

 
Chapter 6
 

At Charlie's, we ate their famous ribs. We talked, just small talk for the better part of an hour and when we were finished, I drove her to the mall to do a bit of shopping. She and I wandered from one store to the other just window shopping when she caught sight of a very pretty piece of silk finery.

"Wow... that's red," she laughed.

"Looks fine to me," I answered. "Wow, it's almost $80.00!" I shook my head.

"Actually that isn't bad, but I don't think I could ever wear a dress that racy though." She pulled the bottom out to see that it was awful short.

"Is that supposed to be a holiday present?" I wondered.

"It would depend on who's doing the wearing, Mister Obvious," she giggled.

"Why don't you try it on?" I teased.

She gave me a horrified look. "No way... I could never wear anything like that!"

I frowned at her. "What's wrong, afraid to let anyone see that you're a young sexy woman?" She thought I was teasing but I was dead serious. Pulling out my wallet and held up my credit card, "My treat, look at it like my Christmas gift to you." I smiled, knowing that she would try some way to back out.

As she was slowly looking from me to the little item, a sales associate spoke. "Could I help you with anything?"

Even before Christine could answer, "She wants to try this on." Christine shot me a shocked look.

"I... I..." she began, but I interrupted her. "Christine, you're a beautiful woman, why not treat yourself to a bit of feminine luxury... why not go all out and get this one?" I turned her by the shoulders and pointed to the changing room.

"But... but..." I handed her the dress and gave her a gentle push.

I stood and fidgeted with the hangers and size markers while I waited for her to step out of the changing room. I figured she was trying it on but she never once did come out where I could see, I was relying solely on the sales associate for her opinion of Christine's fit.

The associate stepped out of the hall and came up to the front where I was. "She looks incredible... you'll be pleased with how sexy it makes her look."

I laughed to myself, knowing that it would be a fat chance to see her wearing anything sexy. "Is she coming out here for me to see?" I asked.

"I'm not sure... I'll go ask." She turned and walked back to Christine to ask.

"Not a chance in hell!" was all I heard her quip aloud. I smiled and the sales lady laughed.

Christine walked out of the room what seemed like an hour later still wearing the outfit that she entered with. Across her arm, was the slinky red dress. "Did it fit?" I asked.

"Well... yeah, too well." she groaned.

"Great! We'll take it!" I told the woman behind the counter.

She took it from Christine and scanned the label. "Your boyfriend must really love you a lot to buy something this special for Christmas." She gave Christine a wink.

I gave the girl behind the counter a frown and quickly shook my head no using a short side to side motion.

Christine laughed and elbowed me in the ribs. "If he's such a great boyfriend... maybe we should look at some other items?"

The sales girl's eyes brightened up, causing me to groan. "Well, we do have all the latest styles of clothes that would go well on a beautiful young woman as you." They both laughed when I flopped down in the chair set aside for the guys that come there with their wives. "Well that little joke backfired on me...big time." I sighed.

"Wait there... Hon, we'll only be a minute." She cooed sexily, determined to make me pay for putting her through all of this.

The two of them moved about the store as if on a mission, the whole while I sat in the chair watching them, laughing to myself. After about an hour they both walked up to the register carrying a few items, none were outlandish... and all were practical. I knew she wouldn't spend too much but I was adamant about not letting her get in the last little dig.

I stood up and handed Christine my card again and slowly watched the clothing as it was scanned... "So, what size of shirt did you buy?"

"It's called a blouse, dear... and they're ladies small." Her reply oozed with sarcasm.

I grinned to myself and calmly walked away with my hands behind my back. You should have seen Christine's face when I dropped a shiny white two piece confection of silk and lace on the counter with the other items. "What the heck is that for?"

I just nodded toward the item and the sales woman scanned it in. "Oh, this is lovely!" She exclaimed as she placed it into the bag. "It'll look so wonderful on you!"

The woman handed the bag across to Christine who appeared to be still in shock from seeing the sexy little negligee I dropped on the counter. We turned and walked out into the mall with her purchases. In a low voice just above a whisper Christine spoke without ever looking my way. "And who's supposed to wear that little number?" Then she turned to face me. "Surely, not me?"

"Since you were in such a buying mood... I guess I sort of got all swept up in it as well." I bumped her with my hip and laughed.

"Yeah... well... it's going to look real lovely on you..." She laughed and bumped me back. "...Because you'll never see me in it."

I chuckled softly as we slowly strolled through the mall toward the little ice cream stand we both were fond of. Secretly, in my heart I wanted nothing more than to see her in the little white negligee.

 
Chapter 7
 

Later that evening I found myself sitting at the computer, slowly typing out my thoughts to my good buddy Nick.

"Hey Nick, how's it going?" I typed.

"I'm okay," he replied.

"You still dating that girl?" I hit send.

"...Uh, yeah."

"Got you flustered doesn't she?" I added a straight faced smiley at the end.

"You could say that."

"Same here," I responded. "But with Christine... I'll wait forever."

"I figured you'd say that," came back his reply.

"Huh?" I hit send.

"Same here... only I'm sure that I'm not ready."

"Will we ever be ready?" I shot back, then added, "One of these days though I'll surprise her."

"And do what??"

"I don't know... I really think she likes me though." I hit send.

"...She does..."

"Did she say so?" I asked, hopeful.

"Not in so many words... but I can be pretty certain that she does like you."

I stared at his reply. "Enough to maybe marry me?" I finally typed.

Another long pregnant pause followed. I watched the list to see if Christine had entered our discussion... she wasn't there…yet. Finally his message popped up.

"...I don't know..."

"You're some help!" I laughed as I typed.

"Did you ever think to ask her?" came back his reply.

"Right... I'd love to, but hell Nick..." I hit send. "We've never really even kissed..."

"...So... what are ya waiting for, Christmas?"

"Sure, why not! She'd probably slug me." I added the smiley.

Several minutes passed. "...maybe... maybe not."

I contemplated his last reply, he was right; we had never really kissed in anything more than a innocent peck on the cheek. I looked at my bulletin board where the photo's I kept of her were hanging... "God she's beautiful," I sighed.

I noticed another message pop up. "You there?"

"Just thinking..." I replied. Then continued to type, "I don't want to be too aggressive..."

"You?" His message ended with a smiley.

"I mean... I don't want to scare her off." I sent it out.

"You won't..."

"I don't know... maybe if she would just give me a sign." I pressed send.

"How many different signs do you need???"

That surprised me a bit, but he was right... "My guess is that she'll just laugh at me."

"I don't think so," Nick replied. "I think we're both afraid to take that first step..." he added.

Nick and I were in the same boat with our female friends, he knew exactly where I was coming from. "Well, I guess I'll have plenty of chances when we head off to the cabin next week."

"Next week?" he responded. "That's next week?"

"It's been awhile for you, hasn't it?" I typed, knowing that it was almost four years ago for him.

"...yeah."

"Maybe you could come out and meet us there?" I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

"Thanks for the offer, but, it would be impossible..." his message read.

"Christine and I are going out there Friday, after our last class." I hit send.

"You never told me that!"

I read it and frowned, maybe he was just upset that I didn't let him know earlier. "You didn't ask." I hit send.

"You Driving?" He replied with his simple question.

"No, our plane leaves at 3:30 and we're going to rent a car to take us the rest of the way up."

"And where are your parents during all of this?"

"They're planning to come up sometime Saturday," I responded.

"So... you thinking about making your move on her while you have her alone?"

"Well, most guys would... but she's a great friend..." I typed and sent, then continued. "I don't want to jeopardize that friendship by doing something stupid."

"Interesting..."

"Really Nick, I respect her too much to pull anything."

"Oh... we'll see..." Nick's message glared at me.

What was it with him, he was acting so strange over the last few months? I frowned at my computer screen, trying to figure a way of defending myself from his suspicions. I began to type, "You may think I'll try something on her when I have her alone..." I hit send.

"But sometimes when you love someone as great as Christine..." Again I hit send, "You have to make some sacrifices..."

"...and what's yours?" he responded.

"You'll laugh..."

"Try me..." He shot back.

"...I'm saving myself..." I hesitated before hitting send, knowing he would never let me live this confession down.

"From what?" His smiley seemed to mock me.

"I don't want to ruin any chance I have with Christine..." I frowned a bit as I typed, feeling dumb for confiding in a friend that I haven't seen in over four years. "I'm saving myself for her..."

Another long pause passed before his message appeared, "How sweet."

Now I was sure he was making fun. "Look Nick, I probably won't get another chance to talk to you before we get back...I've got a lot to do."

"Good luck..."

I smiled at his reply. "Thanks... Nick, I appreciate it."

"Hey Hunter...when you see Christine..."

"Yeah?" I hit send.

"Give her a big kiss from me..." I smiled at his message.

"If she'll let me..." I laughed and pressed send.

"She will..." popped his message, then followed quickly by another. "Take care..."

"Thanks Nick... you too." I hit send and waited for a few minutes, staring at Christine's photo's hanging on the wall. When I figured he had signed off I too shut down the program and leaned back, folding my hands behind my head.

Slowly I pulled the pin from my favorite photo of Christine and walked back to the bed, stretching out I shut off the light. The moon was shining brilliantly against the white carpet of snow outside, creating sufficient lighting for me to stare longingly at her photo. I knew that I needed to make a few preparations before we left, tomorrow I would make the first one.

 
Chapter 8
 

We drove the rental up into the mountains; snow was softly falling onto a great blanket of white. I smiled at Christine which she returned, "It sure is pretty up here."

She looked out her window and then back to me, "God's country... it has to be the prettiest thing I ever saw" She pointed toward the snow laden pine trees that lined the road.

"I can think of one thing prettier," I said softly, looking at her.

"What was that?" she asked.

I smiled at her again. "I said... I can think of one thing prettier."

Her face reddened but still she smiled, I was sure she heard me the first time. She changed the subject. "So, how much farther is it?"

"Our cabin is on the other side of this tree line." I then pointed through the woods, "See that building down there?" She nodded. "That's where we can get on the lifts."

"Wow... when did they put that there?" she wondered aloud.

"They built that a couple years back... say, I thought you had never been up here?" Her odd answer puzzled me, but she then cleared it up.

"Uh... Nick told me what to expect." She smiled and shot a surprised look when she didn't think I was paying attention.

I gave her a side ways glance and continued to drive, one gradual turn and we rolled to a stop in front of our beautiful cabin. I heard her draw a breath in slowly. "It probably looks different than how Nick described it to you... doesn't it?"

"It's beautiful..." she spoke as she gently stepped from the car.

"Here!" I tossed her the key and laughed when she dropped it in the snow, "You go ahead and unlock the cabin…butterfingers, and I’ll unload all of this stuff."

She gave me a salute, smiled and walked up to the hand hewn door with the oval leaded glass window. I turned my attention to the trunk and the contents it held. Lucky us, we were stuck dragging most of our equipment with us so my frugal parents didn't have to rent any. I began to set each item on the porch, about four trips later I was finished and closed the trunk.

"Hunter, would you want some coffee?" Her beautiful voice caused me to look up.

"Sure. Just let me put this inside and I'll get the wood for you." I picked up two suitcases and carried them through the door.

"I can get the wood." She smiled. "I'm not one of those weak and helpless girls around campus you know."

I smiled and put the luggage down, heading back out to get another armload. She followed me back out on the porch and carried a few logs inside, it didn't take long and we were both done.

I watched her at the little kitchen stove while she prepared the logs for burning, it was apparent that she had built a fire before. "Where did you learn to do that?" I asked.

She kept stuffing kindling and paper in the gaps of the small logs, "Boy Scouts." I laughed, but she didn't crack a smile. I just let it go, because her humor was just that way sometimes.... real dry.

"I'll start building a fire in the fireplace... we'll have it all warm and comfy in here in a jiffy." She was busy pouring water from a plastic jug into an old fashioned coffee pot.

I sat back and banked the small logs up into a nice little pile, one match and they were crackling and popping with zest. I waited until I was sure it would hold a real good flame and slowly laid a bigger log on it. After about 10 minutes the dried wood had taken hold and was burning with vigor.

Christine stood behind me watching the dancing flames in the fireplace, the light played upon her flawless complexion. She noticed me looking and smiled. "Coffee's ready." I slowly stood up and followed her into the kitchen, that's when I glanced out the window.

She followed my eyes and looked over her shoulder. "Sure looks foggy for this time in the afternoon."

"I don't think that's fog... it looks like snow." We both moved toward the great window which almost filled one entire wall facing the woods. "It is snow... and it's really coming down."

"Do we have enough food if we get snowed in?" She hurried into the kitchen and began to look in the cupboards. "There's not much here..."

I thought for a minute. "There's a small store down in the valley about a mile or so away... we could get something there." She walked back to the huge window and took a sip of her steaming coffee.

"I don't think I could ever tire of this view." Her soft voice was like a gentle song to my ears.

“I know the feeling…” I said as I leaned against the doorway between rooms; watching her lovely shape framed by the window. Then added, "…and I couldn't agree more."

She turned, our eyes locked for a moment. "We should get moving; at the rate it's snowing outside... it's going to be getting pretty bad soon."

I nodded. "You want to come along or stay inside here, where it's warm?"

She looked down at all of the items that we unloaded from the trunk.

"If you don’t mind, go on; I'll stay here and put these away."

I smiled and headed outside, the wind was picking up and the snow was laying about an inch thick on the car already. Using my arm I swept it away from the windows, climbed inside and quickly started it up.

The drive was uneventful to the little store, but I made it there well enough, once inside I was met by a small older man. "Stocking up before she rips loose?"

I wasn't sure he was talking to me. "Pardon?"

"You visiting?" he asked.

"Yeah, we’re staying through the holiday." I began to sit items on his antiquated counter.

"Got a big one moving in tonight and tomorrow..." He jerked his thumb toward the window.

"How bad?" I was wondering about my folks coming in tomorrow.

"They're predicting the worst storm in twenty years."

I drummed my fingers against the counter, thinking of what I should do.

The man continued, "I think I heard one of them weather people calling for 12 to 20 inches…with wind."

"Crap... I guess I'll need more than this." I pointed to the meager items on the counter.

"Carts are over there." He pointed behind me.

Reluctantly I was about to put another hit on my credit card. However, under the circumstances I had no choice and I was sure that my parents would be thankful and offer to repay me for my preparation.

I bet I was there for an hour trying to load up for a few days; I wasn't too worried because I knew that if their prediction came as planned, we'd be pretty happy for stocking up. As soon as I started out of the little store, the wind caught the door and slammed it back against the wall, causing the little old man to scurry like a mouse to shut it behind me.

"You got far to go?" he shouted above the blistering wind.

"No, less than a mile!" I shouted.

"Better hurry... with this wind, these roads will drift fast!"

I made a mad dash outside carrying two bags and quickly tossed them into the trunk, when I turned, the old man was following close behind with two more.

"Here, I'll get the other one... you put these in there."

He ran as fast as he could in the swirling snow as I placed the bags he had brought, along side those I had already put in. Once done, I met him coming back out with the last one.

"Thanks!" I shouted across the howling wind.

"Thank me later... now get!" He smiled and went back into the shelter of his little store.

I imagined that the drive back to the cabin took about twice as long as the drive there. I drove deliberately slow, and the swirling snow created a blindness where I couldn't tell what was road and what was ditch. With my nerves frayed to a frazzle, I finally pulled to a stop in front of the friendly confines of the cabin. I didn't know which a better sight to see was; the glowing lights of a warm, safe cabin. Or, the silhouette of the beautiful worried woman I cared deeply about watching for me through the big window. I decided I would appreciate the beautiful woman any day over the cabin.

I picked up two bags and headed up the stairs, the look on her face spoke volumes.

"My God Hunter, I was scared to death... you've been gone for almost three hours!" She took a bag from me and sat it down on the table.

I sat the other on the table beside it, "It's bad out there..." Suddenly she threw her arms around me and gave me a huge hug.

"Let it snow its worse now, you’re here and you're safe.” She looked over to the box where we stored our wood when inside the house. “I brought in a bunch of wood... and now we are stocked up to last out this storm." I smiled at her big pile of wood that she had stacked high above the box.

"That's a good idea." I said pointing to the wood. "But I actually enjoyed the hug better." She smiled and gave my arm a playful squeeze.

"Is this it of the groceries?" she asked.

"No, there are three more bags; I'll get them. You just warm up a pot of coffee for when I'm done, I'll probably need it by then." She wrinkled her cute nose and gave me a salute.

I laughed and stepped back out into the white swirling snow storm.

"Be careful!" I heard Christine say as I closed the door.

The sudden force of the wind almost caught me off guard, icy cold shards of snow stung at my face and neck. Using my right arm I shielded my exposed skin from the wintry blast, the other was running along the length of the car for balance. I had left the trunk open on my first trip and found that the snow had already begun to drift inside. Knocking the snow from a bag, I picked it up. Moving along the car, toward the house I walked fighting this force of nature's fury.

I crossed the few feet to the porch and sat the sack down beside the door, one bag down, and two to go. I have no real idea how long it took me to do something as simple as pull three paper sacks of groceries from the trunk, but in due time I had all three bags by the door. I stood ready to open it and looked back again at the car, its trunk still open to the elements.

"Shit!" I grumbled as I again staggered back out and into the storm.

I was tired; the snow had to be a good 5 full inches by now. I could see that with the storm's dark and angry clouds, night would be falling very fast as it was already getting darker outside. My foot hit a rock frozen in the ground, causing me to stumble but I was able to use the fender to keep my balance. I looked up at the swaying branches being rocked by the violent winds of this storm, there among the limbs were the electrical service lines into the house. "Those probably won't last long," I thought to myself.

My hands were numb, I couldn't feel my fingers by this time and my face was as cold as clay. I finally arrived at the porch and picked up a bag, as I reached for the door knob it was suddenly pulled open. "Need some help?"

I looked up into the face of an angel. "Here take this..." I handed her the bag I was carrying. I grabbed the last two and quickly stepped inside the warm cabin, using my shoulder I pushed the door closed. Christine had sat her sack down and was quickly taking another from my numb grasp.

She carried the bag she took over to the table and sat it down; I followed and placed mine next to hers.
"It's getting pretty bad out there..." I shook the snow from my hair.

"How much we supposed to get?" Christine wondered.

"The guy at the store said they were calling for anywhere from 12 to 20 inches. They get deep snow around here all the time so that shouldn't be the problem... the wind is what will make it really bad." She helped me off with my coat and hung it on a hook screwed into the wall. "That'll make the roads drift, considerably."

"Well, your inside, and that's all that matters," she replied thoughtfully. I watched her get a cup down and fill it with hot steaming coffee. "Here, drink this." I gratefully took the cup she offered, the heat it radiated felt great to my numb fingers.

Slowly I took a sip and smiled. "This tastes wonderful!"

"You're just saying that because you didn't have to make it."

She flashed me a smile, "Why don't you go on into the living room, I'll put this stuff away and fix us some sandwiches." A gentle push on my shoulder was the only encouragement I needed... I was so worn out from my battle with the snow.

I walked into the living room and watched Christine busying herself in the kitchen through the reflection in a window. Slowly my eyes were drawn to the dancing flame in the fireplace; I walked forward and picked up a rather heavy log. Wondering for a moment of how Christine managed to lug this huge thing into the house, I placed it on the already burning logs. I used the poker to stir up the super heated coals until a flame leapt around the log I had just placed.

Settling into the couch which faced the fire, I took another sip of my coffee and began to untie my shoes. I sat them aside and stretched out crossing my feet on the floor and leaning back into the couch. From my seated position, I could still see Christine putting the items away by looking into the reflection of the big window.

Another sip of the steaming coffee, and I sat the cup down. I closed my eyes; I just needed to rest only a minute or two... I was so tired.
 

Antique-Dividers-4.png

End of Part 2
 
 
To Be Continued...
 

up
141 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

SUSPENse

Anon,
Your keeping us all in suspense,This is a real romantic story,and i can't get enough off it:)

ROO Roo1.jpg

ROO

Love this story

This is one of my favorite stories and I have read it many times. I am so glad you are moving your stories here. For any one who is a romantic they should savor this story like their favorite meal.

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

Kristi Lynne Fitzpatrick

Christine's Love - Part 2

She as a great friend in Hunter. Waiting for her to tell him the truth.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lovely story, but....

Jill Johnson's picture

How is it possible that she's changed so much that he doesn't recognize his best friend? Or is he just incredibly dense, so dense that he doesn't even figure it out after all the clues you laid out for us? Can he be that smitten that he doesn't recognize the resemblance?
On the other hand I sure don't understand this girl. I say when you got it, flaunt it. I love being a girl. For me that was the whole point.
I guess we'll get there eventually. Looking forward to learning her secrets.

Jill

Lol still reading.

It's getting better yet scary feeling about revelation.