Sk8r Grrls Ch 01 : Episode 01

Printer-friendly version


Sk8r Grrls - SURGE project, Episode 1! Title graphic now included! This was the very first TG Fiction piece by me. I hope folks enjoy reading it again -- or for the first time!
Sk8r Grrls
Episode 01
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
 
In Which We Meet Our Heroines
(Art by Heather Rose Brown)



Original Publish Date: 25 May 2007
Original Header Text:
My first effort here -- actually, my first effort at TG Fiction at all -- Feedback welcome. I write a lot, but mostly no one gets to see it but a few. Idea for this hit me and I had to share. Be gentle?


Time seemed to slow down as Allie rose higher and higher, her jump taking her to just the right point. Her hand raised to make the spike, moving through the air as though through syrup. As she contacted the volleyball, time returned to normal and surrendered the whoosh-spang sound of another perfect delivery.

The coach's whistle tweeted and she shouted, "Great! Just like that tonight, girls! Remember, tonight's our last game and the tryouts for both Basketball and Cheerleaders are Friday! Get showered, get dressed, and get outta here!"

The scattered giggles as the practice ended was normal, and the girls moved toward the locker room.

"Wilson! Hold up a second..." asked the coach. Allie waited a moment while Coach Byers tossed the last of the balls back across the court.

"So, I still don't have your sister's physical. No luck convincing her to try out for the squad?"

Allie bit her lip and sheepishly looked up at the coach as she responded, "She doesn't think she has the ability. I'll still try out though --"

Coach Byers waved her hand dismissively, "Yes, and you'll make it, but do you realize what kind of routines we could do this year with a set of twins like you? Look, I know she has the ability, I've seen her playing around with you and your friends before practices. I'm actually kind of offended that she didn't come out for volleyball. As a personal favor for me, c'mon. It's Monday, get your sister into the doctor for that physical this week. I wanna see both of you here on Friday."

Allie glanced quickly over to the bleachers where Annie sat chatting with a couple of their friends.

"I'll try. I will, really. But I can't promise anything. Annie's kind of... shy, y'know? Look, I gotta shower. Last time I came home smelling like sweat, Mom nearly had a seizure and I got a lecture on how 'unladylike' even playing a sport is. See you tonight, Coach," she once again made the excuse for Annie and ran off to shower.

Over on the bleachers, Mary (the tall, blonde girl), asked the others, "When they get out here, you all up for showing the guys up over at the Skate Park?"

Suzy and Jenni murmured assent, and Annie looked guilty.

She brushed her dark auburn hair back behind her ear and asked, "If we do, will there be time after? I mean I gotta change and then get home so I can get to the game with our parents..."

Jenni (the other blonde), mock-smacked her forehead, "Oh! The game tonight. Yeah, how about we just grab some cones in the courtyard, then? Plenty of time that way, and Bridgette, Allie, and Lisa can get back for the game easy enough."

Nods went around the circle as a latina girl you could only describe as 'lanky' joined them from the locker room, followed by a girl-faced freckle with bright red hair. Bridgette and Lisa were filled in on the plans as the foursome of practice spectators packed away their homework. When they finished and Allie still wasn't out yet, Brigette mumbled under her breath in Spanish as she trotted back to the locker room looking for her.

Annie looked at her friends and meekly reminded them, "You know, none of you should let me stop you from hitting the Skate Park. I can make it home alone. There's no reason you should have to give up fun stuff just because of me."

"Martyr much?" came Allie's voice as she and Bridgette returned.

"I wouldn't be able to hit the Skate Park anyway -- Coach is letting me start tonight," she added while beaming proudly.

The quiet catcalls and giggles traveled out the door as the seven moved around the school to the front where there was still an ice cream kiosk set up in the student courtyard. They got their cones, and moved down the street to a public restroom on the edge of one of the city's parks.

The seven filed into the restroom, hair was fussed with, backpacks re-shouldered, and after being sure they were the only ones inside, six filed back out and casually blocked access inside. About ten minutes later there was a light tapping from inside. They glanced around and assured themselves that no one was watching and knocked on the door in response.

As the door opened and the slight figure slipped out to join them, Allie nodded in approval and they moved again, this time along the sidewalk toward the Wilson home a few blocks away. Anyone looking at the group now would see a young boy walking with his sister and her friends. Allie reached up and ruffled her brother's hair, now tied back in a ponytail.

They were always quiet between the Change House (as they'd come to refer to the public restroom) and Allie and Andy's house, and today was no exception.

About a block short, the six girls stopped and Allie gave her brother a hug.

"We've gotta figure something out, sis. I almost asked you if I could borrow your blue tights last night at dinner," she said, "And Coach severely wants us both on the Cheer Squad."

Andy had a sad look in his eyes as he returned the hug, "I know... And sure, by the way, you can borrow them. They're in your dresser, after all," he tried to quip to brighten the mood.

All the girls felt like one of their best friends had to die every night.

"I'll see you at the game, in about an hour. I've got to think of a reason to give Dad for how I 'forgot' to turn in the JROTC application last week. They published the new members in the paper today," he told them as he shouldered his backpack and walked toward home.

After a few steps correcting his walk into one a bit less 'girly' than Annie's, he kept his eyes on the ground in front of his feet.

The remaining six girls turned as one and walked back toward the school, but it was several minutes later when Allie finally broke the silence and spoke.

"Alright, girls. Here's our new project. We have to figure a way to get Annie a girls' thumbs-up physical so she can tryout for Cheerleading on Friday. We have three days. Any ideas?"

She looked at them all and was exceedingly happy they had deigned to befriend her and Annie over the Summer.

Bridgette, Lisa, Mary, Suzy, and Jenni had been the Sk8r Grrls of the school... and were friends since the day they all had met in Kindergarten. Allie and Andy (well, it was Annie, really... but dressed mostly unisex that day "just in case") had found the Skate Park and showed up with their boards. That was the day they moved in, and they had been quickly adopted into the tight-knit Sk8r Grrls sisterhood.

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Start

Looking forward to more.

Ohhh...

kristina l s's picture

Those sort of cones. Yeah ok...I have a twisted mind, so sue me. Interesting start if a bit short. Ok, come on then...show us what ya got kid..**grin** (does that make me sound like a senile old twit?)
Nice intro, I wasn't sure what to expect and it looks pretty good. Look forward to more
Kristina

Nice start. I hope you're

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

Nice start. I hope you're planing a prequel... something that tells us how Annie came to be and recounting how the S8ter Grrls came to include her in their group.

Hugs
Patricia
([email protected])
http://members.tripod.com/~Patricia_Marie/index.html

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper ubi femininus sub ubi

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

I agree

I agree this is a nice start and would like to see more.
smiles!
grover

Very good!

Quite a pleasant first effort, and a lot of potential. Well, how soon can we expect to see more?

Melanie E.

Nice

Ooh...I like. I'm really curious now about Annie's origins.

And something tells me that a falling out with the parents is being set up...

Very Very Nice!

...start Edeyn! You set up the mood and premise of this promising series! very sweet, very caring, and relationships are strong. The story focus also grabbed my attention quite quickly too! Please hurry with more... you got me very interested now!

*loving hug*

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Encouragement

Excellent starter episode! It's clear that you're all set to write a second episode. Just do it!

As far as backtracking to fill in Annie's early history, or writing a prequel, don't do it. Maybe some time in the future, but not as part of this. I love when a character is simply revealed in the course of a story. little by little. An explicit descriptive narrative takes all the fun out of discovering the character from reading the story.

And, so far? This is great fun! Keep going.

I love it.

I followed this series when you first started it, and like then I love it!!! It is great and very well written, I would expect no less of someone who's name reminds me of blackberries, but it is so sad that you started over completely. Anyway I am glad to see you finally came back to Allie and Annie! (Who's this Andy kid anyway??? :) )

Memories

Well, this brings memories and it is nice to read it again, however I would prefer to read Chapter 28, to know how will story continue... hopefully it will come soon. Though I could say same about Home Alone by Susan Brown, and Little Fox Tale from Kaho.
Robin

And the Time flies by and ones getting older and older, life is just not fair!