Legacy of the Anari - 12

Printer-friendly version

Legacy of the Anari

by Ashleigh Blayze

Chapter 12

The Eckt have escaped Yasm, but Ashai still remains with a score to settle and anger seething. Who will be next?

******

Ashai approached another Docking Bay, this one busy and with obvious gang members on guard with carbines. Key noted the weaponry and Ashai kept a wary eye out. When she got 10 metres from the nearest guard, a large Togan turned and walked across to her.

“You want to meet the boss human?”

Ashai nodded.

“Drop the cannons.”

Ashai smirked, “Just how dumb do you think I am Krayt? Not gonna happen. You boys can have as many guns as you want, I’m not planning on killing anyone, but you’re not getting my guns.”

The Togan gave a guttural grunting sound Ashai knew was laughter.

“Boss say to try. He not bothered. Wants to know why he shouldn’t just kill you for trespassing on Krayt turf.”

“Well, for one I've information your boss really wants to have, about the Reivers,”

The Togan look a bit more interested at the mention of their rivals.

“For two, you don’t have enough weapons or fighters here to kill me, and if anyone tries I'll give you a bloodbath. I’m perfectly happy to kill gangers as well as Sec Bur troopers.”

Ashai stayed outwardly relaxed but she was keyed up, waiting for a response. This could go two ways. If the Krayt Boss was curious enough about her mention of the Reivers then things would be fine. Otherwise the fight would be very one sided. The Krayt weren't heavily armed and only had limited armour. Ashai doubted she would even need the micro grenades she'd palmed, and already had her first half dozen targets chosen based on their species, location and weaponry.

The Togan walked back into the crowd, talking on his comm, while the Krayt guards and Ashai watched each other. A few minutes later it returned.

“Walk on up the tunnel human. These two will escort you. The Boss says he wants to talk about the Reivers so you have safe conduct. You will be met.”

***

Delta squad approached the pad with the armoured mechanical forms of the droids bracketing them. The foreman and his crew of warehouse labourers saw them in the distance and rapidly concluded that sending a Sec Bur squad further down the tunnel to the Krayts was liable to be bad for their health. So when the squad leader walked up and asked if anyone had come past recently, the group collectively assured them that no one had. After reporting in and updating Brax, the squad was ordered to return to the transfer terminal. Brax was relieved Lennox was gone. He was well aware that the Krayt actually ruled further down the tunnel, and with depleted resources he didn’t want to start another fight looking for the human.

***

Ashai was escorted along the tunnel, which hummed with activity. She was taken down a connecting maintenance tunnel and led through a warren of connecting passageways, spotting numerous booby traps and guessed this was the first layer of the Krayt’s defences, designed to confuse trap and kill attackers. She knew the Krayt would feel they had the upper hand, that she would be disorientated when she spoke with their boss. With Key mapping the route as they went that wasn’t going to be a problem. Eventually she was brought into a large chamber that looked like it had been converted from a machinery room into a control bunker, with wall screens, comp terminals and comms equipment as well as Krayt moving busily around. Ashai could immediately tell who the Boss was.

The head Krayt was a Togan, but he was at least a metre larger than any of the other Krayt around him. The Togan moved with surprising dexterity amongst his gang, directing operations with quiet intensity. Ashai was surprised by the purposeful direction amongst the gang. Her escorts calmly waited for their leader to finish giving his instructions before bringing her to his attention.
The Togan turned and studied her for a long moment, assessing with intelligent dark eyes. Finally he grunted and gestured to a separate room with a desk and chairs, inviting her to enter. With a last look around this surprising place Ashai walked in. The Togan followed and sat himself at his immense desk, sized to fit an alien 3.5m tall and weighing over 300kg.

“You have information, and you want to trade Human. You are the Human Ashai Lennox that Grinder wants, correct? You call me Shatrtick. You have killed his Cobalts, why should I not hand you to him and take his reward?”

“I didn’t think Space Port gangs cared what Slum dwellers want?” Ashai mused.

The Togan grunted his laughter. “True Human, Grinder has nothing that I need or want. What do you have I want?”

“You have an impressive operation here Shatrtick. Not what I expected I must admit. Organised. It must be galling for you to have to rely on that organisation to keep parity against the Reivers.”

The Togan snorted his irritation, but grudgingly nodded his agreement.

“The Reivers are thugs, terrorists, extortionists. They are brutal, feared, and have numbers to spare. I am a businessman. This is my business. What do you offer for trade?

“I can give you the Reivers.”

“You? And what do you want for such a bold claim?”

“Simple, you’re business is import and export yes? Smuggling, in other words. I want you to smuggle me into the Slums so I can kill Grinder, and then I want you to smuggle me on a ship off Yasm and out of Korkari space.”

“What you want is relatively easy for me Human. I think what you want is very difficult for you to deliver. I want proof you can do this thing.”

“I suppose that’s fair. Okay Shatrtick I'll give you this present as proof. Send a group down the access tunnel. You'll find your present and proof 200m from the far end. Send them in a vehicle which has space for cargo. Tell them to salvage whatever's useful, but do it quickly, you have a small window of opportunity.”

The big Togan gazed at her impassively for a second before calling one of his Lieutenants, and giving rapid orders. The Lieutenant looked at her before hurrying out. Shatrtick suggested they move back out of the office so he could watch over the rapid reconnaissance he had ordered. A few minutes later Ashai was surprised to see that one of the wall monitors changed to a camera image from a vehicle rapidly moving down the access tunnel. Shatrtick explained it was mounted on one of the Krayt’s hover cargo trucks.

The truck moved into the transfer terminal, completely ignored by Sec Bur guards, before moving through the heavy traffic and shortly down the empty tunnel to the Concourse. The truck travelled, the atmosphere becoming tense in the Krayt’s command centre. The silence broke as the first bodies came into view. Murmurs from the Krayt were silenced by Shatrtick, as the carnage came into view. There were no live Reivers in the tunnel, but bodies littered the ground.

The Krayt squad could be heard swearing and praying as they panned the camera around. Ashai watched long enough to see the dropped weapons and equipment hadn’t yet been salvaged by the Reivers, and turned to wait in the other room. She didn’t need to watch. Key could replay any part of the bloodbath for her if she wanted. She heard Shatrtick give orders to strip the dead of weapons and usable equipment, quietly and quickly, and ignored proceedings after that.

***

The Togan came back after almost an hour, sitting down quietly behind his desk. Shatrtick’s expression carefully schooled to be impassive. His group of Krayt had driven back with the truck loaded with a large haul of weapons and equipment, which they stripped off the dead Reivers. The weapons included autoguns, shotguns, flechette weaponry, grenade launchers, as well as power swords, combat mauls and other melee weapons. There was also a collection of armour that had been removed from the fallen Reivers. The recon group had reported a total of 23 dead Reivers in the access tunnel. Shatrtick wasn’t absolutely sure the human was responsible for the deaths, but his group had reported that the vast majority of the dead had blaster wounds. The two Makatov heavy blasters the human wore seemed unlikely to be coincidence. Which meant the human was a lot more dangerous than she appeared.

“What happened in the tunnel?”

“I was escorting two friends to their ship. The Reivers objected violently. Do you know how many Reivers Heti has?”

“Around 80 are known to be in the Reivers. So I would estimate, around 60 now.”

“Less than 50. I left another dozen dead before the tunnel. There was also a firefight in the concourse, but I don’t know who was in that.”

“So the Reivers are much weaker than before. The haul of weaponry has also strengthened our armory.”

“Don’t forget they have wounded as well Shatrtick, so their fighting strength is reduced, and their morale will be low.”

“Well Human I believe you’re capable of doing what you said. You've already put the Krayt in a much stronger position, a welcome gift.”

“Yeah well Shatrtick, I’m sure that is worth what I want.”

The Togan pondered for a second. “For what you’ve done so far, I will get you in and out of the Slums so you can settle your issues with Grinder. A flight off planet and out of Korkari space is more expensive. Settle up with Grinder and then finish off the Reivers and Heti and you have your ride, plus I will give you a bonus as well.”

“You want me to take on the rest of the Reivers single handed?” She was incredulous.

“I know my troops Human. They’re good in a fight, but as you say so bluntly we are smugglers, not soldiers. The Reivers are the worst of the thugs and killers that Heti could find. This is why I have to be organised. You've given me the best chance to break the Reivers in years, but to attack their base? I don’t have enough fighters to accept the losses, so yes it will be up to you. I don’t know if it’s possible but I didn’t think that the Reivers losing at least 35 of their soldiers in a single day was possible.

Ashai glared at the Togan, wondering if it was possible. “This bonus you mentioned, what is it?”

“Anything you can recover from the Reivers is yours, and in addition I will pay you 25000 creds when you bring me proof of Heti’s death.”

Ashai stared coldly at the big Togan, who managed to gaze impassively back at her. She knew she scared Shatrtick but she had to acknowledge his points. If Shatrtick wanted control then he needed the Reivers gone, but in such a way that he could secure the vital points they held without tipping off other gangs. If The Blue Hand got wind, then they would do their best to fill the power vacuum.

“So I’m an assassin already then.”

You do what you must Prime. At the moment you don’t have much to bargain with. The payment is a mere drop in the ocean to the funds you will need in the future, but it would significantly increase your resources.

“I know Key, this is the only option I have. I don’t know whether I’m more worried about the prospect of the fight, or the fact the idea of being paid to do this killing doesn’t actually disturb me that much.”

“Shatrtick, I have to kill something like 50 gangers and Heti to get my ride off Yasm, so it’s going to cost you more. As you said, what I want is fairly easy for you, while my job is very difficult. For a fair trade I think 150000 would be more appropriate.”

The Krayt leader grunted. While he hadn’t really expected the Human to agree to 25k, 150k was simply more than he could arrange at such short notice even though control of the Concourse access was worth much more.

“I can offer you 120000 creds Human, but that is all.” It would deplete almost all of his available funds but the rewards were huge. The human looked intently at him for a couple of seconds before nodding her understanding. “Agreed. 120000 it is.”

“Good. I will arrange to get you into the Slums tonight. Is there anything you need now?”

“Some food and drink would be welcome Shatrtick. I want to see what you salvaged from the tunnel, and I have some power packs that need charging. After that just some sleep.”

“I will have a meal sent to you shortly.”

The Togan left and went to make preparations. Ashai turned the chair around and watched the Krayt carrying on with their business, her thoughts elsewhere.

***

Getting back into the Slums had been ridiculously easy. The Krayts had simply loaded her into one of their trucks and driven her through the checkpoints. Well bribed on a regular basis the guards never even stopped the vehicle. A short drive through the evening traffic and they came to a halt, before the driver opened the smuggling compartment hidden under the truck’s floor and let her out. The driver stepped back as Ashai stepped out warily holding a Makatov ready. Looking around she could see she was in garage lockup. After checking the time with the driver, Ashai ensured the lock up was secure and then sat down and leant against the wall to wait for the middle of the night, her mind on memories of the Hive Mart and her dead friend.

As midnight approached Ashai slipped out of the lock up into the familiar streets at the Slums outskirts. Moving quickly she slipped through the shadows, having Hound reconfigure to the combat default but with a camouflage scheme of browns and greys. With her long coat left back in the truck, the camouflage pattern effectively disrupted her outline as she stalked unseen deeper into the Slums.

Ashai headed for one of the slum flop houses that served the Cobalts as a drug den and crash pad. There were several such places in the Slums, but this was one of the smaller ones, and should be easier to deal with. She wanted a prisoner she could find Grinder’s location from, and a small den would be easier to deal with. Getting there took 10 uneventful minutes, and as she slipped into the pitch darkness of the filthy alley beside the house, Hound helpfully adjusted her vision so she could see almost normally. The flop house had a double door at the front and a side door she was crouched beside. There was no sound nearby or from behind the door so very carefully she tested the door's handle. It was locked and mostly likely barred as well, it didn't look like a quiet entry was going to be possible. With a shrug she drew the Di Kat with her right hand, the blade singing softly as it slid from the sheath, and with her left hand aimed the Makatov and fired, obliterating the door lock before sending the door crashing inwards with a solid kick, and gliding forwards into the darkness that didn't slow her at all.

The room was a dirty empty kitchen, and Ashai was through the next doorway into a dark hallway before the flop house erupted into noise in response to her blaster fire. Hound began plotting the noise sources and targeting icons began bracketing noise sources in her vision.

“How many Cobalts in here?”

Hound supplied the data immediately — 4 targets on the Ground floor and 5 on the 1st Floor. Ashai moved rapidly down the hall, not bothering to boost, watching the targeting information. The first target threw open the door from its room on her right and ran into the Di-Kat's blade at neck height. There was a gurgling noise as the body continued to move forwards, the Di Kat's razor sharp blade opening the Cobalt's neck to his spine before Ashai whipped it back in a crimson spray.

The second Cobalt was moving out of the next room down, the barrel of a gun visible to Ashai's enhanced sight. Hound automatically adjusted her vision as the Makatov blew through the lightweight wall and Cobalt at the same time. According to Hound the last two targets on the ground floor where hidden by the closed door at the end of the hallway. Target 3 was moving towards the door, while target 4 was static at the other side of the room. From the sound of screaming target 4 was female. Target 3 was yelling at her to shut up. Ashai never stopped moving, slamming a powerful kick into the door as Target 3 moved behind it, the door bursting inwards and slamming the Cobalt sideways. She moved into the room, a young naked girl huddling in bedding against the wall immediately identified as Target 4, the room empty except for her and the dazed Cobalt laying under the door. Ashai knelt and with a carefully weighted punch knocked the thug senseless.

The girl was looking around blindly in the darkened room, and Ashai realised the Cobalt had been heading for the light switch. She could see so easily that it seemed very strange that this girl was obviously terrified out of her wits in the darkness, unable to see whatever demon had destroyed the door. Ashai guessed the girl was barely a teenager, possibly younger and she stood silently not wanting to terrify the girl any more than she already was. A man's angry shouting came from upstairs, and Hound placed it as positioned at the top of the stairs. Ashai glided silently across the room towards the stairs, crouching a little way away.

“Kort, Kort! What the fuck's going on down there?” Silence greeted the shouts, apart from the girl' whimpers and sobs. A light flicked on at the top of the stairs, a weak dirty yellow illuminating the stairs and a perhaps a third of the room. The girl was caught in the light and the man shouted again as the girl looked frantically around the room that was now barely visible. Mentally Ashai snorted in disgust as her eyes immediately adjusted. Whatever night vision the Cobalts upstairs had, was now utterly ruined.

“Neti you little slut, where's Kort?” The girl ignored him, her eyes wide as she caught Ashai's feminine silhouette crouching in the shadows near the bottom of the stairs, blaster and sword held ready. The man shouted again but the girl just sat frozen in fear. Ashai slowly moved her finger to her lips and shushed the young girl, then slowly and silently stood in the shadows at the base of the stairs. The Cobalt swore again, and began clumping down the stairs promising Neti a beating for disobedience. As he reached the bottom of the stairs Ashai stabbed the Di Kat through the side of his neck. The Cobalt died almost instantly as Ashai pulled the razor sharp sword free, the thug's dead weight hanging in place for half a second, before its bowels voided and the corpse slumped forwards to fall flat at the bottom of the stairs. For a moment there was stunned silence, before the remaining Cobalts began to move. Not giving them more time to react Ashai swung on to the stairs and opened fire with the Makatov. Blaster bolts punched through the four Cobalts, turning the staircase into a steaming morgue. Ignoring the bodies Ashai ran lightly up the stairs to check for more enemies but a quick search showed the upper floor was empty. When she made her way back down stairs Neti was still huddled in her bedding, gazing blankly at the bodies.

Ashai checked the last Cobalt was still unconscious and then holstered her pistol, and sheathed the Di Kat after wiping it clean. After a glance at the huddled girl she quickly hauled the bodies one at a time up the stairs out of sight, as she wondered what to do about the traumatised child. Finally she went back downstairs and flicked the light switch by the shattered door. The weak light thrown down the stairs was drowned by the white glow from a ceiling strip light. Neti was still huddled in her bedding, but as the light came on her gaze snapped to Ashai, her eyes growing huge. Ashai walked across and then sat cross legs in front of her, noting Neti's dirty skin as well as the remains of fading bruises across the girl's thin body. She had been beaten, and in the light Ashai guessed she was not even in to her teens. She wondered what to say first, what to ask the abused child in front of her, and struggled to keep her anger off her face.

“What's your name sweetie?”

“Neti.”

“Neti? That's a pretty name. My name's Ashai okay? Do you have anyone you can go and live with?”

The girl paused for a second, looking elsewhere, then shook her head as a tear ran down her cheek, carving a passage through the dirt. Then she seemed to focus on Ashai again before speaking, her voice flat. “You killed them.”

“Yes Neti I did, except that one. I need to ask him some questions.” The youngster seemed to consider her answer before nodding at her.

“I wanted to kill them. Thank you lady. They....they hurt me.”

Ashai didn't know what to say, what to do, and just opened her arms offering Neti a comforting hug.
The girl looked at her for a long moment as if judging her, before hurling herself into Ashai's arms with a sob, wrapping her arms around Ashai and holding on for dear life. Ashai held Neti and let her cry, comforting her, and rocking her, planting occasional gentle kisses on Neti's head. After a few minutes Neti calmed down and then pulled away from Ashai and looked at the still unconscious thug. A fierce hungry expression flitted across her face, before she turned and looked at Ashai again.

“I want him Ashai, when you're done with your questions, I want him, I.....owe him.”

Ashai studied her, seeing the seething anger and hatred Neti had for the Cobalt.

“What happened to you Neti, how did you end up here?” Ashai asked the questions gently, wanting to both distract the girl from her vengeance and get some more information. Neti didn't want to answer but seeing that Ashai wasn't going to let it drop, sighed and answered.

“During the riots, Grinder and his thugs came to my parents house. I was with my sister when we heard lots of shouting about debts or something. I heard my Daddy shouting as well, and then a gun and my Momma was screaming. Then the door burst open and these two huge guys grabbed me and Emilie my little sister. They took us to the kitchen and my Daddy was lying in a pool of blood,”

Neti started crying again and Ashai gathered her back into a hug as she talked.

“my Momma was pleading with Grinder to let us go but he said she was too old and had no value to him, so the debt would be paid by her children. Then he told the two men holding us to bring us along. Before we left he told two of his men they could have Momma and to kill her when they were finished. I struggled but I couldn't get away, and Emilie was only four. I heard Momma screaming in the house as they carried us away. They took us somewhere and I was put in a cell with some other girls. I never saw Emilie again. Kort told me the slavers took her. I miss her.”

Neti pointed at the unconscious Cobalt. “He's Kort. He's one of Grinders lew-ten-ants,” Neti pronounced the word hesitantly. “Grinder gave me to him when he was finished with me. Grinder had me first. I....” Neti just curled up tighter in Ashai's arms and cried. Ashai stroked her hair gently, while her eyes gazed flint like at the unconscious thug, as she pondered what to do next.

“Key?”

Yes, Ashai?

“I was a ganger for years. We ran the Hive mart. But we never did this. How can this happen?”

Evil comes in many forms Ashai.

“I was going to kill Grinder for myself, for Zazt but I guess I never really considered what Grinder has done to everyone in the Slums. I want vengeance, but I think it will be justice as well.

Under the circumstances Ashai I think both those needs are real.

“Neti...I think she's twelve Key. Twelve. She's been raped, abused, humiliated, beaten, given to this bastard as a toy for his mob to use...she wants me to give her Kort. Neti wants vengeance. Should I give her it? What will that do to her? Will it help? Or will it make her life worse?”

The young lady will need a lot of help Ashai. The trauma of what she has been through will be very severe. I cannot say whether letting her take her own vengeance will be wise or not. It may give her some sense of personal closure at least, especially if she knows that Grinder has been dealt with as well.

Ashai stroked Neti's hair again as she made her decision. Then she gently cupped the girl's chin and pulled it up so she could get eye contact.

“Neti, you've been through things that no one should. So when I have answers from Kort, if you truly want to deal with him yourself then I will make that possible for you. Do you understand?”

The tearful girl hesitated and nodded.

“Okay. I promise you Neti, Kort will pay for his crimes against you with his life, and Grinder will pay as well, so no matter what you will never have to worry about them again. If knowing that lets you feel like it's okay for me to deal with Kort for you then that's okay. It's also okay if you still want to deal with it. That good with you?”

Neti nodded again, a serious expression on her face, before offering a small hand to shake and seal the deal. Ashai shook it gently and Neti's expression changed to relief and acceptance.

“Okay Neti, I want you to go and get yourself a wash and find yourself some clothes okay, plus you can look for anything else you want upstairs. If you find any credit chips or something you think is valuable then bring that down as well. The other men who hurt you are upstairs. They are dead. You watched me kill them so you know they can't hurt you any more. Okay?”

“Okay Ashai.” Neti's voice was sweet and quiet, but steady and the girl gathered her bedding around her and headed to the stairs.

Ashai turned her attention to the unconscious Kort.

Bastard.

With a not so gentle slap she brought the thug around. As the Cobalt jerked awake, Ashai waited until he started to move before she moved into his field of view.

“Hello Kort.”

Before he could respond in any way Ashai reached out and struck two points on his neck, firmly, each with a single rigid finger, watching for a response. The combat primer listed these strikes as temporarily paralysing the arms and legs of the victim, with control returning after approximately an hour. The Cobalts suddenly wide eyes and the straining of his neck muscles showed the strikes were successful. The discovery that he couldn't move his arms and legs prompted a volley of abusive language. Ashai let the Cobalt swear at her for half a dozen words before slapping Kort across the face with the faintest trace of her enhanced strength, snapping the man's balding head sideways.

“Shut up you stupid fucker.”

“Bitch you any idea who you dealing with? Grinder's gonna...”

“All Grinder's gonna do is die. The question is whether you're gonna live Kort. The only people alive in this shit hole are you, me and Neti upstairs. Your boys are dead, and pitifully easy to kill as well. You're going to tell me where Grinder is in the Slums.”

“Fuck off.” The Cobalt spat at her, which she easily avoided.

“Hmm it seems like you need to understand your situation a little better,” Ashai slid the Di Kat from its sheath, “Kort either you tell me what I want to know, or I hurt you, hurt you badly, and eventually kill you. Oh and I don't bluff. When I say you'll die, you will die.”

“Fuck you.”

“I didn't think you'd really be that dumb Kort. Okay, that's cool.”

Ashai slid the Di Kat into the Cobalt's eye line to catch his attention, the thug's neck muscles still straining in his attempts to move. Slowly she lightly dragged the swords tip down his body, the razor point slicing effortlessly into his flesh, fresh red blood welling up in its track. Kort gasped at the pain before clamping his jaws shut. Ashai grinned wolfishly at him.

“Ooohh a tough guy huh? Okay Kort, next stop is your achilles tendon, which one do you want to lose your right or left? Gonna be a bitch being a cripple Kort.”

Korts eyes were wild as the Di Kat moved down his body out of his vision. He tried to crane his neck to see but all he could see was the sword being waved between his ankles.

Ashai paused for a moment letting the thug watch her moving the sword. Seeing that he hadn't broken yet she shrugged, and very deliberately severed Kort's achilles tendon in his right leg, sparking fiery agony in the Cobalt's nerves. Unable to stop it a scream and a whimper burst from Kort's mouth.

“You fucking bitch, fucking shit, my leg oh fuck my leg.”

“You've still got a good leg Kort. If you tell me what I want to know I won't kill you.”

The sound of Neti coming downstairs made Ashai turn around. She'd found some pants, a tatty sweater, a dark jacket that was a little big for her, and some ankle boots. She was carrying a small sack over her shoulder up as she came down stairs. Seeing Kort writhing in pain, Neti walked across.

“Oooh Kort that looks painful. Has he told you what you want yet Ashai?” she asked.

“Not yet Neti, but he will. Would you wait in the kitchen for me sweetie?”

“Okay, but remember you said I can have him when you're finished.” Neti's grin at the stricken Cobalt was feral, and her gaze was implacable.

Ashai saw that however scared the thug was of her, the prospect of being left helpless with the abused girl terrified the wounded Cobalt who was almost hyperventilating from the pain. Neti looked down at Kort before crouching down beside his legs next to the unnaturally bunched calf muscle where Ashai severed his achilles. Ignoring Ashai's quizzical expression, Neti shot out a hand and dug her small fingers into Kort's severed calf muscle, making Ashai wince and Kort scream in utter shock as agony exploded up his nerves. She held her grip for two long seconds, long enough to have Kort begging for an end to the pain, before just as suddenly Neti stood up and walked to the kitchen.

“Don't take too long Ashai, I want some time with him.”

Ashai waited until Neto had left the room before turning her gaze back to Kort.

“Where's Grinder?”

Kort gasped, his eyes glazed from the pain in his leg, cold sweat running down his face. “He'll kill me.”

“Maybe. But I'll definitely kill you if you don't. If you talk I won't kill you and you have a chance. Not much but better than nothing.”

Ashai's callous tone and obvious indifference were enough to push the thug over the edge, and Kort talked, spilling his guts on Grinder's current base in an old warehouse near the Slums' border with the industrial district. Once he was finished Ashai called Neti back in, and then while the girl watched renewed the nerve strikes.

“He's all yours Neti. You have fifteen minutes then we need to leave. You need anything?”

“No, this will be fine.” Grinning coldly Neti brandished a long wicked looking knife.

“You're sure about this?”

At Neti's definite nod, Ashai stood up and headed to the kitchen.

Kort yelled from behind her. “Wait, you said you weren't going to kill me if I told you...please.”

“I'm not, Neti is.” Ashai shrugged and turned away.

A little less than fifteen minutes later, Kort's screams and whimpers had finally ceased, and Neti joined her in the flophouse's kitchen, spattered in blood. The two women shared a look for a long moment, before Neti turned and vomited her stomach up on the kitchen floor. After a second retch, she dropped the bloody knife and then moved into Ashai's open embrace, sobbing.

“Shhh, baby. It's done. It's all over now. Time to leave, I'm gonna take you to some friends while I deal with Grinder, and then we'll get you safe okay?”

With a nod, the crying girl burrowed in tighter.

**

It was a little before 2am and Ashai crouched in the shadows, looking over the clear space surrounding the old warehouse that Grinder had claimed for his Cobalts. She'd taken Neti back to the lock up garage where the Krayt driver was waiting for her. A short conversation had ensured that Neti would be safe with them and a slightly longer talk with the girl had reassured her she wasn't being abandoned, before she had walked back into the Slums, following Kort's directions to the warehouse.

The warehouse was constructed from corrugated alloy sheets over a rusty frame. Two large open sliding doors at the front were guarded by a handful of Cobalts, armed with various weapons and accompanied by a handful of girls keeping them supplied with drink, drugs and affection while the majority of the gang partied inside the warehouse. The music thundered from the open doors, reverberating across the open concrete. The front entrance was a possibility but if possible she wanted a more stealthy approach.

Quickly Ashai did a stealthy circuit around the warehouse looking for an alternative. The only other option was a back door, with a single guard outside, under a flood light. The guard was smoking, and the acrid smell of his smoke wafted in the night air. Around the corner from the guard there was a wire fence surrounding a power generator that thumped away into the night. Deciding that the power supply was the obvious target, Ashai moved around the compound until she was opposite the generator and then satisfied she was out of view she slipped across the open concrete towards the fence.

The fence's builders had spooled tangle wire between the tops of the fence poles to deter intruders, and for a moment Ashai wondered whether to cut the wire fencing with the Di Kat or climb it. Then she realised the generator control panel was within the range of her armour's new tentacles. She held her hands near the fence instructing Hound to build up a charge of power to deliver. A couple of seconds later the tentacles extended from her wrists, easily slipping through the large mesh fencing, before spearing into the generators control panel, forming the circuit which Hound then blasted a charge of electricity down, instantly overloading and burning out the circuitry, which exploded in a shower of sparks. The power spike flooded the warehouse's power system and all at once the sound and lighting system became showers of sparks as the warehouse plunged into darkness. Ashai retracted the tentacles, unholstered the Makatov and Di Kat and moved around the building to the back door at a run. The single guard suddenly blind as the floodlight failed, never even saw her coming. The Cobalt was young, barely fifteen and in a moment of pity, Ashai shifted her blade, and knocked him senseless with her fist, before wrenching open the door and plunging into the darkened hallway beyond, as Hound adjusted her vision to compensate.

**

Grinder cursed as the lights exploded and the speakers burst. He thrust himself into the girl bent over the table in front of him, making her whimper again. Holding her in place with one hand he grunted at his lieutenant to go find out what was going on. Faltr obeyed, leaving the whore he had been fucking in place as he buckled his pants and left Grinder's booth to find out what had killed the power and the party. Grinder pulled his hips back and then slammed forwards again making the girl whimper, as he fucked her hard and deep, impatient to let his load go now.

Faltr stood on the raised dais outside Grinder's private booth and tried to make sense of what was going on. The warehouse's open floor was lit now only by sparks and a couple of small fires that had started in ruined electronics. The floor was crowded with drunken Cobalts, hangers on, whores and guests all stumbling around in the sudden dark. Three of the more sober thugs had grabbed flashlights and opened the door to the back, heading to the generator to try and repair it.

**

Ashai swept down the darkened hallway like an avenging fury, her mercy spent on the youngster outside. She charged into the group of Cobalts coming into the hallway without warning. The Di Kat flashed in the light beams as Ashai effortlessly cleaved through the gangers, but not before the rearmost shouted an alarm. She charged through into the quietened party where the drunken gang and party goers began to react to the shouts and screams in the hallway. To her enhanced vision the warehouse seemed well lit, but the sight of men and women stumbling in the dark as they either fled from the screams or ran towards them, reminded Ashai of the advantages she had and how essentially unfair this combat was about to be.

Well if they hadn't killed Zazt I wouldn't be here, so fuck em all.

She skidded to a halt and quickly scanned around the open space.

“Opposition?”

Her vision lit with target icons as Key highlighted Cobalts armed with firearms in red and those with close combat weaponry in orange, fleeing non combatants in blue as well as a few who were not yet classified in yellow. In a second she absorbed the targeting data and prioritized her enemies. No sign yet of Grinder, but there was a room at the back that was a likely place for the Gang Boss. First to deal with his mob, so far as she was concerned they were all culpable. Key displayed a target summary and told her as well.

7 Priority Targets identified armed with firearms, 19 additional combatants identified armed with close combat weaponry, 27 non combatants, 3 non classified.

With a bleak grin, Ashai span to face the nearest priority target, the Primer and Key mapping suggested movements in her vision, and charged, the Di Kat slicing open for the Cobalt's throat as she passed on his right and sprang at the second red icon, almost casually killing an orange icon as she passed, almost invisible in the darkness as she moved at high speed, save for her platinum mane which caught the flickery light from the small fires, making Ashai seem a spectral figure lunging at shadows that screamed and died. Losing herself in her fury the number of targets fell very rapidly as she slaughtered the Cobalts, to give Zazt's memory his revenge.

***

Faltr gaped as he watched first in disbelief and then in horror and fear. Grinder's demon. The thought ran through his head charged with superstitious dread. It looked like a woman but that wasn't possible. The demon moved so fast, none of his boys were getting anywhere near it. Shouting for Grinder he ran back to the VIP room, looking over his shoulder to see yet another Cobalt die with a scream. It was some kind of obscene dance where every step claimed another life, the long platinum hair visible as it whipped one way and another, leaping, sliding, twisting, jumping and spinning, kicking and striking amongst the Cobalts who were dying so fast the blood from one hadn't hit the ground before another was being slain.

Slamming through the door to the VIP room he grabbed for his prized assault rifle, as Grinder was yanking his pants up utterly ignoring the whore he'd been sodomising seconds before as he reached for his weapons, while screams continued in the warehouse.

“The demon's here boss. It's wiping the gang.” Faltr fought to keep panic out of his voice as
he told the Cobalt boss what he'd seen.

“Fuck Faltr. I told you there's no such thing as Maker fucking demons. Let's go kill the fucking bitch.”

Grinder pulled himself to his full height of just over 2 metres, his massive frame dwarfing Faltr, shaved head scraping the low ceiling of the room. The gang boss was a monster of a man, scarred from almost forty years of brutal living, heavily tattooed and hugely muscled with immense hands that he would literally grind his enemies into the plascrete with. His rule of the Slums by violence and intimidation was total and the idea of anyone challenging his rule, let alone a woman was incomprehensible to him.

With a bellow of anger at the invasion of his domain, Grinder charged out of his booth, brandishing his power axe, cursing and swearing, then promptly skidded to halt, dumbstruck by the carnage in his base. Eyes wide, the veins pulsing angrily on his bald head, Grinder gawped at the blood that was pooling around his minions' bodies. Some had limbs lying around, cleanly amputated by a viciously sharp blade, others lay with their entrails visible. The screams and yelling that had been so audible moments before had been replaced by eerie silence broken by whimpers and moans of pain. These were gradually cut off as the demon casually finished off the wounded with precise mercy strokes. She utterly ignored him as she finished the grisly task she was doing, and Grinder found he couldn't move to try and catch her unawares. His legs wouldn't obey his commands, they were rooted to the stop. Beside him Faltr gasped and the noise caught the demon's attention.

She couldn't be human. It simply wasn't possible that this tall slim girl had destroyed the empire he had taken years to build. His demon was clad in the form of beautiful blond woman wearing a mottled grey and brown camouflage bodysuit up to her neck, and was liberally coated in the crimson blood of his Cobalts. Even the long platinum hair that was picked out by the light from the fires that were sputtering in the warehouse was spattered with gore. Seeing the Cobalt boss and his surviving lieutenant gazing in horror and dismay at her handiwork the demon gave a small smile that managed to be both mocking and feral at the same time.

'Fuck.' Grinder muttered the epithet, not conscious of speaking.

Faltr gave a scream of rage and whipped up his assault rifle. The demon moved lightning quick, drawing, firing and returning her blaster to the holster before Grinder even thought of reacting. Faltr's rage was cut off in mid shout, as a blast of energy obliterated his head. That was the moment that Grinder knew he was about to die. His strongest lieutenant died with casual ease, and the mocking smile never reached the demon's eyes which were glacially cold with fury. For the first time in years Grinder felt fear, and with it resignation. He wanted to piss himself but pride wouldn't let him.

For all his power in the Slums, in his heart that he knew he was a nobody on the grand scheme of things, even in Talont city itself, other gangs were far wealthier and more powerful as they weren't ruling the human detritus and other poor. Grinder had vaguely expected to think about his life when it came time for him to die, but instead he wanted to know why this terror that outclassed him so much had decided to wipe him off Yasm.

“Why?” It was only one word and he croaked as much as asked it, but Grinder's expression as he surveyed the warehouse spoke volumes. The demon cocked her head at him for a second, idly flicking blood off her sword.

“Simple punishment Grinder. You took from me. You let scum like Carlo exist, and killed someone precious to me. You should have left Haskins and mine alone, and this” she gestured around “ wouldn't have happened. But you tortured him, when he did nothing to you, and killed him like he was nothing, so I'm doing the same to you. Maybe whoever comes next will learn the lesson. I doubt it but you never know.”

The demon finished talking and stood waiting for him. Grinder looked around disbelieving, all this because he killed a fucking Korkari?

“What? You're not taking control, making a power grab? You slaughter my guys over a fucking trader?” Grinder's voice radiated confused outrage. The demon sighed.

“I'm not after the Slums Grinder. I'm leaving anyway. I'm coming back to Yasm eventually, and when I do, then I'll take control and things will change, but for now killing you will have to do. You terrorized the people in the Slums, treat everyone like a slave and killed my friend. So now you die. Now come on and fight or are you a coward as well?”

His machismo stung Grinder finally surged forward, swinging the power axe two handed in a powerful horizontal slash, its wicked blade crackling with energy. The demon stood motionless as the big Cobalt committed his full bodyweight to the blow, before darting forward, ducking under his swing, inside his guard, her sword lashing out with precise control. There was a brief moment of sharp pain for Grinder before his corpse slumped as its momentum carried it forwards, severed head rolling away as the body landed, heavy axe still flickering with energy crashing with a metallic ring against the plascrete floor.

Grinder's demon stood and gazed blankly into space for a few moments, her thoughts elsewhere, as the rage and need for retribution cleared from her expression and gaze. She shook herself, looking for a moment full of self disgust before turning and walking away, ignoring the corpses around her, or the Cobalts' piled goods and booty in the warehouse. Now she was done she wanted away as quickly as possible. Ashai's expression hardened again, there was still more killing to do if she wanted to get off planet. Quickly leaving the way she arrived, she paused momentarily and checked the youth she'd knocked cold was still unconscious. He was and after a moments consideration she hefted him up and carried him over her shoulder to the walls of the building across the open ground. The boy never even stirred as Ashai laid him down, making sure he would live if the warehouse caught properly ablaze. The kid was underweight but fairly well built. Thoughtfully she took his weapon a basic club and snapped it, and his bandana shredding it, maybe he would get the message. Without another look back Ashai headed for the garage and her ride back to the Port, as Hound took care of the blood and gore covering her bodysuit by simply refreshing the upper layers of armour that were spattered along with the evidence, absorbing all trace of the fight. The spatters on her face and hair Key directed the nanos to destroy.

Inside the warehouse for minutes nothing moved before two women peered from the VIP booth at the carnage. They were sisters both biologically and in the oldest profession, and had been 'entertaining' Grinder and Faltr. Lennox was gone. Everyone knew the name that Grinder's 'demon' used from the holocasts, and they knew what they'd heard. Lennox was leaving but would be back to take Yasm and woe to those she judged unworthy. Whispering the women grabbed their scant clothing and left. As they hurried into the night they came across the unconscious boy, the youngest Cobalt they'd seen and wondered how to interpret the snapped weapon and shredded bandana. Considering the judgement rendered inside there had to be a message there. After a brief discussion they hoisted the youth between them, managing his limp weight as they headed for safety. In the distance they could already hear Sec Bur sirens approaching.

up
266 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, now she plans to return.

Man, what a kick ass story. I hope that she works off her aggressions at some point. LOL

Gwendolyn

Hi Gwen

Yeah Ashai does seem to need some stress relief! Glad you're still with me. Thanks for reading. And yes at some point she will be back. Wonder i she could do a bad Arnie impression?

Where's the proof?

Didn't she have to take some proof back that she'd destroyed Grinder? I kinda thought she take his head with her.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Heti

terrynaut's picture

I believe it was Heti's death that required proof, not Grinder's. Grinder was just Ashai's personal mission.

- Terry

Came into this late

I thought they were the same person. Grinder a street name and Heti the real name. Guess it's time to go to the beginning and catch up. I'm reading several stories now that didn't look interesting at the start, but a later chapter sucked me into them.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Grinder is the boss of the

Grinder is the boss of the Cobalts, Heiti runs the Rievers. The cobalts are a lower tier gang out in the slums and the Krayts (third gang) don't really care about them one way or another. Grinder killed Ashai's korkari friend though so she wants to settle the score with them.

The Rievers are a level up and rival the Krayt (among other gangs?) for control of Starport territory.

I think =)

Thank you

Getting to where I have to write notes to myself to keep everything straight. But then I have the same problem I had in college when taking notes - I can't read my handwriting!!!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Grinder and Heti

Hi Karen J, glad you've joined the party. I hope you're enjoying the story so far. I really hope you go back and read the earlier chapters (personally I think they are worth it, but I am biased!).

My thanks also to Terry and Deacon for helping Karen out.

Cya in chapter 13.

Oh, I did!

I'd read most of them, but it turns out I somehow missed the chapter and a half leading up to this one. I know I read up to where she enters Haskin's and has to prove who she is, but for some reason I stopped there and failed to pick it back up. I'm still working 12 hr shifts so I probably read to that point then went to bed, by the next morning . . . Poof!

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Wow

I was wondering how that was going to end. :)

Maor?

-- Sleethr

-- Sleethr

End?

End? Who said anything about end? Of course there's more Sleethr although I will confess real life is kind of getting in th eway and slowing down writing. I promise I will give you something to read asap. Promise. Honestly.

Grinder's Demon

terrynaut's picture

She might as well be a demon the way she killed her way through the Cobalts. Yikes!

This is violent but the violence is an important part of the story. Hopefully, all that killing won't change Ashai for the worse.

This is quite gripping and good. I'll definitely keep reading.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I think she's ok

I might have thought she had become a cold-blooded killing machine myself. But look at how she "saved" Neti, and spared the young Cobalt's life. There's still good in her, but it has to take a back seat mostly for now. Rats are rats, at some point they have to be exterminated. The expedient thing to do is kill them now.

BTW, the description of what happened in the warehouse kinda reminds me of some of the Dorsi stories by Gordon R. Dickson.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Hi Karen J

I don't think Ashai is coldblooded. But she is pragmatic in a world that doesnt give a damn about the sanctity of life, human or not. Right now a lot of the time she is just reacting as life keeps throwing crap at her, unfortunatley I can safely say that will not stop happening just yet. For those who might be interested the path of vengeance that has been going since chapter 10 is the result of my sister saying she thought Ashai had it too easy. Sheesh. Neti is also the result of that, so I would love your comments on any effects her presence has on the story for good or ill.

Gordon R Dickson is a name I havent heard in a loonnng time. I remember reading some of them years ago, but to be honest I dont remeber enough about his style to see the similarity. I'm gonna have to go and find one now! Glad you're interested enough in the story to comment Karen. Thanks for reading.

There are the lesser rings and possibly other facilties hidden

Could Neti be the first of these lesser but still amazing Priestesses/warriors that answer to the Prime? And what of her younger sister? Will they find her alive?

I am beginning to think Ashai with her Key and Hound can create her own rings and symbionts without the need of a computer controlled base, though that would make it easier. She is far beyond what the race that built those facilities ever were as a Prime. She seems a throwback to the now dimensionally ascended ancient race that started this all.

Violent but pragmatic. She needs to live, train and rebuild before she can conquer. She is not cold hearted as she honors debts to friends and can be compassionate and merciful when it is warranted. The two prostitutes? that witnessed her assault on the Cobalts appear to be converts to the Prime's mission to clean things up. And maybe so will be the young Cobalt she sparred.

Must Heti die or could she be taken alive, a living object lesion to other gangs? Oppose my will, hurt other and you die. But there is mercy IF you surrender and a chance of redemption. The spaceport gang MIGHT appear more powerful by holding a former gang leader hostage vs just killing. IE "We are so strong we don't NEED to kill to get our way." And "We are allied to the Demon, Do not oppose us." They are a more business like gang, not a bunch of thugs like the Cobalts.

The race that distroyed Earth and scattered her *children* is on the verge of Armegedon at the hands of Ashai and her allies.

I continue to be impressed by this tale.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not his style, no

Not saying that you read the same as Dickson, just that you have a scene that reminds me of one of his. It was a close-quarters combat scene where the protagonist (a Dorsai, of course) enters a dark room with several "baddies. The Dorsai just slides from one to the next, taking each one out, often before the other knows he's there. I enjoy a well-written combat scene, and yours have been right up there with the best.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Violence

Hi Terry,

Thanks for reading still. This is a violent story and I only hope that as I write it it stays relevant. So far I think it has. Ashai has a lot on her plate at the moment but with Key's help I think she will be okay. As I am typing this I have 970 kudos!!!! Awesome, totally thrilled by that, so many thanks for your contributions.

Just WoW!

If I'd found this in a store I would consider my money well spent and would be searching for when the sequel was due out. It is THAT good. The story and plotting is first rate plus the characters are very kool. Additionally, it keeps me guessing and is not predictable. All of that makes this a very good read. You do combat scenes very, very well. In short this is on my 'must read soonest' list. Trust me! That is a very short list!

As for this chapter, Ashai has made her first steps into a legend that will grow. To paraphrase a certain general, 'She will return.' :)

hugs
Grover

What Grover said,

DITTO!!! In SPADES!

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Hi Catherine

Lol, thanks for reading and agreeing with Grover. Enjoy.

Agree, I hope that when you

Agree, I hope that when you are able to conclude 'book 1' you bundle it up as an ebook and put it on Amazon or the like. You'll have at least one person lined up to buy it.

I'm this a great read, and love how you are seeding the plot for what looks like a pretty epic space opera type thing.

Great work, can't wait to see how everything plays out.

Hi Deacon.

Thanks for helping Karen out earlier in the thread. You might be interested to know that I have tentatively started the process of lookingto publish LoA so hoping at some point to be able to get that at least one buyer!!

Stand by for more twist and turns, leastways once I've written them. Lol

If the humans are desperate

If the humans are desperate enough she might become more than a legend. Something akin to a god, a prophecy that gives humanity hope and might end in a crusade or something.

Whatever... Ashleigh, thank you for writing this awesome story, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Beyogi

Desperation.

Hi Beyogi, glad you're still enjoying LoA.

As far as humans are concerned there general state can be generally described as impoverished, homeless, downtrodden, and yes desperate. It's gonna be a long time before Ashai's ready to becomethat kind of legend though. Still people need hope so you never know.

Maybe not _that_ long in

Maybe not _that_ long in coming. A few years, yes, but where better to restart the 'empire' than the one planet that has known functional equipment.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Heya Grover

Glad you're still with me. It's amazing what an unconscious choice of words can do isn't it. I hope that the little hints of things to come are keepingyou interested and start to give an idea of the scale of the story. I just hope I can write it! Thanks again for the compliment and thanks for reading and commenting.

This just keeps getting better as it goes.

Ashai is implacable, but shows mercy when it is warranted.

And now there are people waiting for her return.

Great story.

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I hope that Ashai comes across as complex, not to mention more than a little stressed. When I wrote the chapters with Grinder and Neti, one of the aims was to see the start of her motivations evolve from just killing Dtilla. I hope you get the sense of the start of a wider view.

Thanks for the praise and for reading.

Brutal

In a way she is very much an anti-hero who is doing some pretty uncivilized and brutal things ( and more to come as we know ) yet she is not evil of course.

The perspective on her changes when you consider she will become ultimately the leader of her people and in a way she is already dispensing Royal Justice for a people who have had justice taken away from them. Government for these poor slum folks have been effectively shackled and the Korkari certainly is not doing anything about it.

Word will spread in the slums about her and I think so there may very well be many who are eager for her return and she may very well have a legion waiting for her and hoping to work for her.

Problem is, Yasm is in Korkari space so will she have to fight them too for independence?

Finally I am hoping her new charge does not hamper her fighting options or alter her bargain with the Krayts significantly. It is one thing to have a free hand at fighting but the need to protect her far more vulnerable charge might necessitate more risks for her. Next episode means more fighting and I do not look forward to what is going through her mind during the time spent in space flight.

Edit: Oh, and she really needs to do something with that hair. What is the point of wearing stealth armor when her hair is so visible?

Kim

Oh and I like the fact she is using a sword

"... an elegant weapon for a more civilized age." :P Unlike a lightsaber ( which violates physics in so many ways ) it is not scifi.

It certainly makes killing up close and personal and it certainly makes killing far less pleasant than using a ranged weapon. Using one keeps one from enjoying killing too much as the bite of metal into flesh is an omnipresent reminder that it is a being, maybe not a good being, but nevertheless a being you are killing.

I really like the limitations being placed on the realism of her weapons as it prevents a spaghetti westernization of the fight scenes and have her being able to shoot an outlandish number of energy bolts like in other scifi movies/tv shows.

Kim

Technically, a light saber

Technically, a light saber wouldn't violate physical laws. It's just that if they built one, it would weigh several tons, and probably couldn't be operated for more than a few seconds.

Think of it as a plasma arc bound in electromagnetic fields.

"midichlorians" are far more absurd than a light saber. (and sort of ruined the fun)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Swords.

Hi Kimmie.

The whole lightsaber cut through anything seemed like a step to far, so yeah its a sword. There are better weapons out there by far, but they're generally big and obvious and expensive. Plus the Di Kat is cool.

I'm trying to avoid the whole unlimited ammo aka Hollywood, so I'm glad you approve. Later.

HI Kimmie.

Ashai's not really a very nice person. I don't think nice would be a good adjective for her. Anti hero? Hmm I could dig that!

Is she dispensing royal justice? Maybe/maybe not but she sure looks like she is beginningto lean in that direction, acquiring a motivation for bigger things.

Yasm could definitely get messy when she gets back. After all at th emoment it has the only Creche facility she knows of.

Neti is a big new factor...and tbh also a big new factor in the writing....damn sisters grumbling! I do think it's gonna make life more diffidult all round. Lol.

The hair? Yup I agree its a problem. wonder how long it will take her to realise it?

Mnay thanks for reaidng and your comments Kimmie.

Don't hurt the hair!!!

Of course the simplest thing would be to put it up and wear something over it. But I think it is already part of her "trademark" if you will, so I'm wondering what Hound can do with it. Alter the color and appearance? Maybe even control it like she controls her self-generated clothes, but the default "norm" would be her present look. I'm also thinking she could use Hound to generate makeup, or the appearance of anyway. One less thing she'd have to learn, no mascara, no eyeliner, no muss, no fuss, no hassle.

Karen J.

* * *
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. - Winston Churchill


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

LOA

I'm enjoying this story very much Blayze! Your dialog is very good and the fight scene flowed well without being overly drawn out. I look forward to seeing more of this storyline.

Sorry for the double post, my internet is acting up so I hit the post button twice and ended up getting both posted. *sigh*

LOA

I'm enjoying this story very much Blayze! Your dialog is very good and the fight scene flowed well without being overly drawn out. I look forward to seeing more of this storyline.

HE HE

I'm so tempted to reply twice Blossom but I won't. I will restrain my childish impulses (fingers twitching...). I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Cool - very cool.

Many thanks Jen. Cool even very cool I will happily, eagerly accept.

Better than Lord of the Rings?

Nope. Not even close. Or in the league.

Sigh, lovely thought though, thanks for that hun.

WOW

I agree with Grover, this story is as professional as it gets, and possibly more addictive than certain Narcotics!, I want MORE!! thank you for the gift of your wonderful dream!

Addictiveness!

Heya McNightwatchman,

Thanks for the compliment and I'm very glad you're enjoying Lo A. Quite like the idea of being addictive!

Hmm...

Kalkin62's picture

So ... you're giving Ashai a dependent? That'll be interesting (even if it's only temporary).

Good story, looking forward to more.

Hi Kalkin62

Yeah, I decided that Ashai's life wasn't complicated enough. I might be a glutton for punishment or possibly just dumb. Time will tell. More will be forthcoming although it might take a little while.

complicated?

Kalkin62's picture

Oh no, don't misunderstand me, I think a dependent sounds good!

Yes, it does sound complicated for Ashai, but it sounds like a great twist for the story. Having Neti in the story brings a lot of potential for interesting emotional and character interaction. I'm looking forward to the potential complications ;)

Heya pbmanicac27.

Glad you're happy mate. Keep reading.

What more can I add? People

LibraryGeek's picture

What more can I add? People who's opinions I respect have already said great things!

It will be interesting to see what she can do to help Neti in the long run. She needs things which will keep her humane, and caring for Neti may help in that area.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Hi JBM

Welcome back JBM. Glad you're still reading LoA. I have been totally thrilled by all the comments especially the last two chapters. A lot of them from people whose writing I really enjoy, so yeah I am happy. Neti is gonna make everything haredr but I hoep it goes okay.

Ashai must be getting soft ...

Amy_Daemon's picture

She killed Grinder with one quick sword swipe. He deserved to die slowly ... very slowly.

Great story by the way.

A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

I think she simply didn't

I think she simply didn't get that hard in the first place. Most people aren't exactly cut out for torture, when they can avoid it. And I'm glad she seems to be that type. Kill him and get over with it is certainly more healthy than torturing someone to death.

Smart decision imho.

Smart indeed

Torture leaves a stain on one's psyche/soul imho, also.

I noticed that she only gave Neti only 15 minutes to deal with Kort too which while is torture but kept short enough by time to not be something that will stain Neti especially for such a young child.

Kim

Random musings and comments

I thought I'd put down some random thoughts and comments on the story so far, and hopefully I'll create some semblance of coherence in the process.
I've really been enjoying the story so far. The story has taken several turns I wasn't expecting, which is quite enjoyable. I'm hoping we see more of the investigator, Gantol, as I think there is great potential for a cat-and-mouse game to be played out between him and Ashai (but who is the cat and who is the mouse?).

As a sci-fi story, I have one basic request; please do not make the alien races a Planet of Hats. The widespread nature of this phenomenon is probably my second biggest complaint about sci-fi in general.

I do wonder about Ashai's mental health. Casually killing dozens of people is something even many soldiers can't do. Furthermore, the fact that everyone she's gone up against has been leagues below her in capability, and the fact that killing them is so trivially easy for her, could also have detrimental psychological effects. Without some strong counterbalance, I can easily see Ashai beginning to see other beings as "below" her, and treating them accordingly. This is a very dangerous state of mind to be in; nearly every (if not all) great acts of human genocide have been committed by making the people you are killing "less than human". While Ashai is obviously not dealing humans alone, the overall point remains.
Related to this with regards to the story is that so far, none of the external conflicts Ashai has faced have been terribly threatening. This rather reduces some of the tension and drama in the story, though I think it could be made up for by including more internal conflict. Just don't don't make it Wangst, please. :)

Wow.

Hi Archer,

Thanks for your comments, I found them interesting and valuable. I just fininshed reading the links your provided and again Wow. The document about Natural born killers was very interesting, an dwill help me ensure that Ashai's character is more frmly grounded. Thanks for that. The trope links were also interesting.

I definitely have no intention of making a planet of hats. If at anypoint it appears I am doing so feel free to shout out and yell!

The bodycount has definitely been rising quickly in the story but so far Ashai has mostly been in a reactive situation, and not really had time to think and absorb all she has had to do.

I am hoping that her relationship with Neti and other characters will assist in keeping her mentally on an even keel.

As Key said it's not really Ashai's fault that her opposition are outclassed but at the moment she is only at the beginning of her story. She can be hurt though.

I am very glad you're enjoying my work so far and hope that as the story develops your concerns are unfounded and your enjoyment remains.

Thanks for your comments again Archer. Much Appreciated.

Natural killers

There's a reason modern infantry training works more on firing at realistic silhouettes and small unit tactics. Silhouettes practice drills people to identify humanoid targets by overall shape, rather than features of the individual. Modern small unit tactics are important because while a single person may be hesitant to shot another human, this isn't ass likely when that person is part of a "team" where you don't want to let your partner down. This is one reason why machine gunners and sniper/spotter squads have a much more effective volume of fire. The same psychological affect is also why you may be safe from your neighbor, but that same neighbor would lynch you in a mob.

This post puts the point much more eloquently than I can.

That post also notes that when under heavy duress, the rational portion of the human mind tends to shut down, leaving us to act on automatic response. The the fact that Ashai retains full cognitive capabilities during fights is probably one of her greatest assets in personal combat.

It should be pointed out that all this regarding human psychology. However, there are some things we would likely see in any advanced spacefaring species. For one, any species that managed to make it to the age of nuclear weapons, and not whipe itself out, likely has a similar aversion to killing its own kind. Such species would also need to have emotional control, particularly of their aggression. One of the traits that sets humans apart from the rest of the apes is our amazing ability to repress and subdue our emotions so that we can think rationally.

I also imagine that any alien species that has managed to discover the physics needed for space travel would have an inborn curiosity to figure out how things work, so a basic inquisitiveness would likely be present in all spacefaring species.

Hopefully you find something useful in this information dump. :D

I would point out that the

I would point out that the inability to kill a fellow human is a relatively recent invention, and has become worse (greater?) as people become more and more divorced from the facts of life - specifically, that things die.

Farmers, for example, have much less problem killing if they have a reason for it - they live around life and death their entire lives.

Ashai grew up in the slums, and ran with the gang that ran the slums before escaping to the Outback - where having to kill to protect the animals is normal.

She _already_ had the disassociation necessary to kill and continue to operate. Any human can kill those around them, and do it pretty easily. The training given to the army is to kill someone who is a complete stranger - one they have no innate reason to kill.

Remember, humans are bloodthirsty, but tend to need something to get their emotions going - it's hard to be emotional about someone whom you have never met. In this case, she knows what the gang-bangers have been doing, what they did to her personal friend(s), and what they tried to do to her. The ones by the port? They already went on the shit list by trying to stop her and personally punching three holes in her.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Publishing!

If this gets published, there is definitely a buyer waiting, ME!

Legacy of Anari...

Great Story. If chapter twelve is supposed to be the end it leaves one hanging quite a bit.

I expected to see more but nothing has been posted in nearly a month, does anyone know if this is posted somewhere else?

For the author....

Great Work... don't lose this one it, could grow into a really good series.

Maybe I've missed something but doesn't she still have one more gang to wipe out or at least the head of that gang?

Then she needs to get off world, get trained, find other Anari strongholds, find candidates to be guardians, etc and etc.

This is at least a hundred post story. when do we get to see more?

Renae.

Heya Renae

Thanks for demanding more, it's good for my spirits. I have been distratced lately and the writing has been suffering. Soory about the delay in responding, this is the first check of my comments in about 2 weeks. My bad.

Hugs

Ashleigh

Really hoping you continue this

Hopefully more comments will encourage you to put number 13 up. I've been eagerly checking for another installment, hoping you were just taking a break over the holidays.

Great story, can't wait to read more.

LOTA

Yes please Blayze, we'd love to see more of LOTA! It is one of the stories I am always looking for when I come to BC! I do understand how RL can interfere however but I for one will be immensely pleased when I see a new chapter up!!

LoA

I have enjoyed this story so far. I am just a bit disappointed by the very long wait for chapter 13, but I have also come realize that it is part of reading anything on this web site. That is one of the reasons that I refuse to post anything I write here. I waited until you had several chapters up and it looked like you were posting regularly, then you stopped. And as much as I really like this story, I won't read anymore until you have at least 5 more chapters posted. Sorry.

I'll still read

The moment I realize you've posted another chapter I'll probably break down and read it. It can be pretty frustrating, but for a story I enjoy this much it's worth it.

You mention 'this site', out of curiosity, where do you usually post?

wow

wow i must say i am impressed i love this story and i can see it happening for a long time '
Ashai is a very impressive person , she reminds me in a way of the character from L.ron Hubbards book battlefield earth , learning and growing as a person and warrior to become who She needs to be and perhaps helping the Human race get back on track instead of being considered the dregs and outcasts from the varied species they are coexsisting with , i cant wait till the next installment.

It is approaching two months

Since part twelve of Legends of the Anari was posted.

In Part one, the author said she had 160,000 words already written but only 80,000 have been posted.

Has the author decided to go mainstream and thus we will not be seeing any more to this story or has something happened to the author? Or was this simply a teaser to interest us in searching out and buying the book? If so, is the book title the same as that under which the story was e-posted? I have Googled but not found it.

It's a great story and I was looking forward to reading more.

Renae

Heya!! I have just emailed

Heya!!

I have just emailed chapter 13 to my beta readers so hopefully you will all have the next 12k words very soon.

I should clarify...I had @160k words but following the observations of a certain family member who will remain forever nameless...(my sister) I ended up rerwiting from about 60k or so in. So now I have a front and a back and I am redoing the middle. Most of the back is still usable although will need modifications, for example with inclusion of Neti (not worked that bit out yet.) I wish I could say I was organised as I know some people are , and that I have a plan, but to be really truthful I suck at planning and I am the most disorganised person I know. LoA is very organic, it grows and kind of has a mind of its own. It's getting there but at times drives me CRAZY! Lol.

Anyway I will keep posting on BCT for at least the forseable future, and hope you will bear with me through this growing the middle bit of the story. It will get there. Promise. Eventually.

In addition I am very flattered that you would go looking for LoA as an ebook. That comment was a really nice boost to my ego. Thanks and hugs Renae!

Ashleigh Blayze

Legacy of the Anari - 12

What bloody fun she had.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine