Sk8r Grrls Ch 04 : Episode 04

Printer-friendly version


Sk8r Grrls - SURGE project, Episode 4! Okay, we're going to include the extra content as sub-chapters (check the outline on the right!) where there will be as many bits of extra content as the number of the chapter (for now) -- that is, chapter four will have four sub-chapters and chapter seven will have seven sub-chapters etc. up to the point where the plot splits, but for now I'm going to focus on getting the chapters actually out and to you all. This was the very first TG Fiction series by me. I hope folks enjoy reading it again -- or for the first time!
Sk8r Grrls
Episode 04
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
 
In Which The School Gets A New Lunchtime Announcer
(Art by Heather Rose Brown)



Original Publish Date: 26 May 2007
Original Header Text:
This one took me a bit longer. Sorry to keep anyone waiting! Unfortunately, this will be the last chapter this weekend. I have to go out of town tonight and won't be back until late tomorrow night. I'll hopefully have Episode 5 ready Monday afternoon. Oh, yeah, in the comments, feel free to theorize and question -- helps keep the braincells with the story in 'em firing!


Annie steeled herself. She needed to do this. There was no way around the conclusion that beyond this door was a conversation she just couldn't look forward to having. For the third time in as many minutes she stepped to the door and put her hand against it to push open. For the third time she went weak in the knees and stepped away again without going through the door.

Why was this so difficult for her? She thought about her father's reaction. She shuddered and made a fourth attempt to go through the door, but with the same result as before. She had even considered having Allie do this for her this morning, but would that really help? She shook her head as she dismissed that possibility again, for the same reasons that she dismissed it right after waking up... Allie already was doing way too much for her on a daily basis, in Annie's estimation.

Trying to distract herself, she thought back to last night and coming home. They had all stopped by the Change House and Andy had come back, but not before the small group had stood in the park and comforted her after her statement about being nothing without them. Lisa had decided they all needed to take the, 'Oath of Sisterhood' that she had heard about at Girl Scout summer camp two years before.

Maybe Lisa made it all up. Or maybe she actually remembered some girls doing all those silly things. But, really, it didn't matter. The point of the whole thing had been to make Annie feel better about herself, and it had worked quite well. She knew all five of the other girls would be there for her, as certain as Allie would be.

When she -— sorry, he -— had arrived at home with Allie a short while later, he had nodded a greeting to Evan and then trekked up the stairs. Evan's only greeting had been a grunt of acknowledgment as he dueled with Darth Malak, his lightsaber flashing on the television screen. Andy announced, "I'm home, Mom'n'Dad. Going up to get ready for bed. Prob'ly read a bit before sleeping," toward the kitchen before his sojourn upstairs, and Random not far behind and licking at Andy's hand.

"G'night, Andy," said Allie as she looked at him sympathetically. She went into the kitchen for her customary graham cracker and banana snack before bedtime. There was some talking after that Andy couldn't quite make out in the kitchen, so he ignored it.

Anyway, this wasn't getting her task done. She shook herself back into the present and smoothed her skirt, took a deep breath, and pushed through the door.

"Um, hi," she said to the girl at the desk, "I'm Annie Wilson, I'd like to apply for the Freshman spot that's open?"

Behind the pretty brunette were four huge letters hung on the wall:

K A T S
Under them was a much smaller line of text, but still perfectly readable:
KATS Radio, the voice of the Wildcats
"Certainly!" replied the girl as she wrote the name down in some kind of log book -— probably a cheerleader with that kind of chirpy-ness.

"You're the first Freshman girl we've had interested, and we needed two boys and a girl. Chances are, you're a shoo-in. I hope you like it here, I'm a senior and I'd like to make certain it wasn't a completely testosterone influenced atmosphere after I'm gone! Though we'll still be the only girls on staff," she paused to grin infectiously at Annie.

"Oh! Sorry, I'm Kate. I'm the Station Manageress, sometimes fill-in talent, and fact-checker," she said with a broad smile and stuck her hand out to be shaken -— which Annie did, grinning back at the girl and starting to warm up to her.

"It's way more... professional... in here than I expected," said Annie as she looked around, "No offense or anything, but I was expecting little more than a closet with lots of CDs and a microphone."

"I know, right?" Kate giggled, "Last year, some big muck-de-muck from the east coast that owns some radio stations donated money to give us a real studio, with a producer box and everything. I think he was, like, part of the graduating class of Ancient or Archaic or Antediluvian or somesuch."

"Aunty whonow?"

"Just a big word that means old," replied the older girl with a smirk.

"Well, nice to meet you, Kate. What exactly will I be doing? Typing up the scripts, that kind of thing?" smiled Annie.

"Oh, sure sometimes, but we desperately need a woman's touch on the broadcast. The guys in all the shows right now are good, but, well, they're such... guys. If I wasn't here, I have no doubt that there'd be a much higher rate of fart-jokes-per-hour than there already is. Here," Kate thrust a few pages at Annie, "read this aloud. Focus on not rushing and enunciating while still projecting your voice."

Annie was startled, but took the pages, and glanced over them a moment. She cleared her throat and read:

"This is Kay Ay Tee Ess radio, voice of the Wildcats. Broadcasting at ninety-six point three megahertz. Top story today in sports news: The Lady Cats win last night sets a new record for the most winning seasons in a row for any school in our conference at a whopping thirty-three. Let's hear it for Coach Byers and her girls! Today's rumor mill story is from a source who has asked to remain anonymous. Apparently, there's going to be a throwdown this coming weekend, folks! The first 'be there' event of this Fall. The much vaunted Sk8r Grrls are having a skate-off at the Skate Park Saturday against Tommy 'the Train Wreck' Wexler and his boys, The Train Wreck Crew, so even if you aren't into skateboards, this could prove to be a battle of the Titans, gals and guys! The stakes are high but the pride is higher. The trophies they're playing for are none other than the other group's boards -- along with bragging rights, of course. Stay tuned between classes for updates. I'm insert your name here -— er, I'm Annie Wilson, Kay Ay Tee Ess."

As soon as she finished the piece, she looked up at Kate in shock.

"We only did that last night! And you gotta wait for us to tell the others who weren't there before you run this story, please?"

"Huh?" responded Kate, "What are you talking about? Oh, I get it... are you one of the Sk8r Grrls the story was talking about?"

Nodding vigorously, Annie replied, "Yes, but three of the girls weren't there last night and we didn't have a chance to tell them about it yet. Please let us tell them first? Can you wait until after lunch?"

Kate giggled yet again, then said, "Sure! Tell ya what: you come back and read the text again for a hot mic about halfway through lunch hour. You've got a great voice for radio, and you're definitely gonna be in demand to broadcast around here."

"Really? But I thought, you know, being a Freshman, I'd only do the grunt work and stuff..." Annie tried to protest.

"Nope. You've got what it takes," said Kate with satisfaction, then with a glance to the wall clock she stood and said, "Now, we've both gotta hurry if either of us are gonna make it to first period without being tardy. See you at lunch."

She then motioned Annie out the door as she followed, then locked it up behind herself.

With her major hurdle for the day down, Annie rushed to her locker and grabbed her books. She stumbled through the door of the class just as the final bell rang, and grinned sheepishly at the frown the teacher was giving her. She hurried to her seat and tried to look interested as her mind wandered pretty much everywhere but where the teacher was trying to point them. None of her friends were in class with her until fourth period, but that was okay. Less teasing about staring at Billy Green or even them noticing that she also stared at Natazja, who were both in her first and third period classes.

Right after the bell to go to lunch had rang, Annie and Allie found each other and excitedly exclaimed in unison, "I have news!"

With a giggle for each other they headed for the cafeteria. Annie went first and told the whole group. "I'm now officially part of the school radio station... 'I'm Annie Wilson, Kay Ay Tee Ess,' y'know? In fact, they want me to read the lunch period bulletin in about twenty minutes. Oh! And we need to tell these three about our 'deal' with Wexler."

"Deal?" asked Bridgette, "What deal? Wexler's probably the biggest tool on campus, what would possess you to make a deal with him?"

Suzy and Jenni tag-teamed the explanation from last night. Lisa was a little miffed that she'd have to give up perfectly good babysitting cash to help prove what was already obviously true, but decided that this was more important.

Annie turned to Allie and asked, "Okay, what's YOUR news? Make it fast, I have to go in about five more minutes."

"It was Bridgette's idea, really. We think there may be a way to get you a physical so you can try out for the Cheer Squad! Variation on how we got you enrolled," she said, arching an eyebrow at her twin and then nodding at Bridgette to explain.

The Latina with the gorgeous hair grinned broadly, "It's actually way simple. Okay. We already figured out that the doctor would know if Allie stood in for you for a physical. So... who says you have to go to the same doctor? The Clinic across the street from the main hospital gives students free sports physicals with their Student ID. So we go this afternoon and Allie goes in and gets a quick physical using your ID. QBP ¹!"

Annie blinked. It couldn't really be that easy, could it? She looked up at the clock and eeped. She excused herself and went to dump her tray off before racing from the cafeteria to the Broadcast Room. She arrived a bit out of breath, but was already getting it under control by the time Kate poked her head out to see if she had arrived yet.

She rushed Annie into the sound booth, "Hey, Rookie! Okay, same script as this morning, just a quick 60-second newsbite between songs. Roger will signal you when to begin from the Producer's Box. Put these headphones on. Oh, and remember to actually insert your name, this time?"

Then she was gone. Kate was a whirlwind. Annie may take some time to adjust to her, but was already liking the older girl.

She read her script flawlessly and then held in her excited whoop until she made it out of the booth.

"That was great, Rookie!" laughed Kate, "I think you're gonna do fine. That's all we need you for today. There's a staff meeting every Monday after school, and come in tomorrow morning to get the script for tomorrow's lunch reading. That's your first official assignment: Lunch News. Think you can handle it?"

"Yes! That felt so nifty," gushed Annie, then she had a thought, "Um, I may be trying out for Cheerleader, will that conflict?"

Kate's smile could only be described as a beatific as she replied, "Oh, no, there won't be any kind of conflict for Cheering. I'm Captain of the Squad this year, so if it conflicted, I wouldn't be here. If you make the Squad, then I'll actually have non-selfish reasons for making sure the schedule here fits with the Cheering. Alright, I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning!"

The rest of the school day was as forgettable as usual, and since Volleyball was done, the girls all met up right after school to put Operation: Cheerleader into effect. They walked across town to the Clinic, went inside and Allie presented Annie's Student ID.

"I'm here for a sports physical, if you can fit me in," she said to the nurse as she handed her the small piece of laminated cardboard.

"Have a seat right over there, the doctor will call you when she's ready," said the bored lady.

The girls sat and had barely settled when a door swung open and another nurse called, "Miss Wilson?"

It was over about twenty minutes later and the group were all excitedly chattering as they walked to the park. Better to goof off near the Change House, that way there was as much Annie-time as possible. There were a couple of large trees with lots of low-branches they tended to relax in, on, and against while at this park.

Eventually, the conversation turned to Annie's near-miss the night before, and a mood of seriousness descended over all of them as they talked.

"I don't really know," said Annie, "it's just... Allie can tell you, I never had a problem hiding the real me before, but since I've been able to actually be myself so much, it's just harder. Every night I dread going back to being Andy more and more."

Mary, as usual, was the one that made the observation that they were all thinking, anyway, "You have to tell your parents. Tell them soon. You're sure they won't understand?"

Allie answered, "I keep telling her that I think they'd be fine after a while, but she's afraid that before they accepted her, they'd do the things like what she's read about online when this kind of thing goes badly. Make her cut her hair, out her to the school, or worse. It's not really a good situation for a chick in Annie's situation."

Bridgette murmured, "Kobayashi Maru ²," under her breath, then added louder, "It's a massive no-win situation, mi cuchuras. If we keep hiding the truth, it just plain will be discovered sooner or later. It's a matter of time. That will end badly for her, and likely for us, too. And if she tells, there's a good chance that the reaction won't be anything close to good, either," she looked up and into Annie's eyes, "I don't want you to take this the wrong way, mi lindura, but I'm incredibly grateful that I'm not you."

"I know, right?" replied Allie with a sigh and no small amount of melancholic wistfulness, "What if they decide that she's a freak and ship her off to some kind of all-boys military academy to make a man of her?"

"I'd kill myself," said Annie flatly, "Seriously, it would be by my own hand or else the boys would kill me and call it an accident. Or Mom and Dad could kick me out and I'd be a fourteen-year old bag lady. Or lock me in the basement and homeschool me, not letting me have contact with the outside world. Or --"

"We don't have a basement, Annie," put in Allie, side-hugging her sister to comfort her.

None were sure if Suzy's offering to the pot were serious or not -— she could out poker face a tree, "Allie could always tell them she's a lesbian first, then say she was only kidding, Andy's really a girl instead."

Jenni groaned at the suggestion, then she had an idea of her own to toss into the mix: "You know how everyone always says, rip off a band-aid quick and get the pain over with? Well, we need to figure a way for them to be told when they can't get to Annie. Like over a weekend or something. We all go on a weekend camping trip and leave a note and pictures of Annie. Would that work?"

"I dunno," said Lisa, "but that sounds like the best suggestion so far. Sooner is better than later, though, or poor Annie'll just go all 'a-splode!' from the weight of secrets and depression. You ever seen an imploding skull? Too much SyFy Channel is NOT a good thing. This weekend's out, we've got to deal with Wexler. Next weekend though? Is there time to plan a trip and talk my parents into letting us use the back 40?"

The assumption that the camping trip would be on Lisa's property was simply precedent. Anytime the group had needed somewhere 'outdoorsy' since they were old enough to do anything, it had been on Lisa's family's farm somewhere. Even the seventh grade camping trip with the local Girl Scouts had used the Keller property's dense woods.

It was beginning to get dusky, so they meandered over to the Change House, found Andy, and walked as a group toward the Wilson home. The car was already there, so they all knew that both of the elder Wilsons were there, and the girls also knew from experience that Tuesday nights were 'leftover casserole' night at the Wilson's -- with plenty of dinner for all of them. Cell phones came out and parents were called.

When they all filed through the kitchen door, however, the looks on the adults' faces were... not something a teenager ever likes to see.

"Oh, hello girls," Evie said, "Roger and I need to talk to Allison and Andrew for a few moments. Could you join Evan in the living room, please?"

The seven teens exchanged glances and the girls that didn't live there crossed the kitchen and went through into the living room, holding the whispered theories until they were ensconced as X-Box spectators.

"So. Andrew," Roger began, "How did your day go?"

"Um, fine, I guess..." Andy replied a little confused, "Oh! I went to KATS and joined, like I said I would. The Station Manageress said she needed two Freshmen boys and a Freshman girl, so I was in, easy," then he grinned, thinking he worded that quite cleverly.

"Did anything else special happen today?" asked Evie innocently, "I mean, I know we've raised all three of you to be independent but also to tell the truth, so you wouldn't lie to us, right?"

"What do you mean?" asked Allie, her heart beginning to pound.

"We received a call earlier, from a doctor at the free clinic informing us that she had faxed our daughter, Annie's, sports physical over to the school so she could participate," said Roger calmly, "At first we told her that our daughter had already had a physical before Volleyball. She insisted that she had just performed the physical and that we wouldn't be charged, as Annie had presented her Student ID. That's when the name registered. Your mother told the nice doctor that our daughter's name was Allie, not Annie. The doctor said that she was certain it was Annie, because she had written it on the sheet herself, since the nurse was busy elsewhere. But then she remembered having had seen her patient's sister in the waiting area. Then she offered us an explanation for our confusion. Maybe her twin sister had convinced her to try out for Cheerleading and the girls hadn't gotten around to telling us yet. I agreed that yes, that must be it. Then we hung up and your mother and I have been discussing it ever since. Now, do you want to let us in on why that doctor was so sure that we have twin daughters, not daughter and son?"


 ¹: QBP is short for "Quote, Buy, Print" from the esurance.com commercials. It's recently began to be used by preteens-teens to mean something quick and easy

 ²: Kobayashi Maru is a reference to a part of the Star Trekâ„¢ universe Mythos. The 'Kobayashi Maru' test is given to cadets nearing graduation in Starfleet Academyâ„¢. It is a lose-lose scenario in which the point is to see how the cadet responds to a command situation in which there simply is no right answer

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ouch!!!!!

Oh my God! a cliffhanger! Arrrrgggghhhh! Now I have to wait until Monday to see this play out! Great Writing Edeyn! Got me just begging to see more!

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Sk8rr Smiles

I really like the grrls and enjoy the heck out of their antics. The old switcher-roo twin trick, Ah! Really nice the way parts of the back story slowly creeps in. Do you know what you've DONE? Now I have YET another story I have to search for everyday! The pain, the pain, oh the agony!
Smiles and Hugs!
grover

SNEAKY! I realy thought it

SNEAKY!
I realy thought it was comming at the very firt pharagraph fighting her nerves
to open the door I thought she was going to tell then suprise! so to come to the cliffhangerat the end took me by supprise. Grate story keep it comming Ill try to wate for the next instalment Monday.
Huggs
Melissa C

Oh, Brava!

Well done! Now I need to get part IV of my story out quickly, too. Can't have you beating me, after all :P

I really liked the way you played up the radio interview at the start, and the end of the chapter was quite a surprise. This is truly shaping up to be a wonderful story, and I think the break between now and the next chapter will do it quite a bit of good, as well: give people a bit of time to catch up, and ponder what happens next! Sometimes, a little frustration just adds to the sweetness of the next stage, and good things always come to those who wait. That being said, don't leave it too long!

Oh, ahem... yes, my writing analysis that I seem to be doing so much lately: a couple of spots seemed to be a little rough in wording, and when talking about the camping trip, I think you might have misplaced a name. Considering how many of these you've released over the last few days, though, and that these are the only real mistakes I've seen so far, I'd say you're an extraordinarily accurate writer in general.

Also, I wasn't expecting a Star Trek geek in a group of skaters- I guess we live and learn!

Melanie E.

Edits

Yeah, I caught the misplaced name earlier. Fixed it now. And I was a Sk8r Grrl and all-around geek (Star Trek included) and Radio personality, myself. I also fixed some of the awkward wording at the end. From the point where the girls walk into the kitchen onward should be less confusing now

Yeah, Annie is loosely based on me

The Sk8r Grrls are not-so-loosely based on my friends

From loss to win

Remember, Kirk "beat" the Kobayashi Maru test. My kind of man! Now, if only Annie can do the same! Seriously, leadership classes in the military teach that sometimes you have to make a decision on incomplete data; waiting until every little point is analyzed to death is bad for moral. It appears indecisive. Of course, the range of options available to Andy/Annie just got a lot smaller. Oops!

Great story, but I have one quibble: if Annie competes against Wexler and wins, it kinda spoils the whole meaning of the contest, doesn't it?

Can't skate worth a d***, but LOVE Star Trek!

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Kirk & Wexler

Seeing how Kirk dealt with the Maru test really had an effect on me. Being told something absolutely can't be done seriously pushes a lot of my buttons. It was nice to see a character who would not accept something was impossible. In my experience, I've found most things people call impossible are really improbable or just very difficult to do.

An example of this was when I was learning about division and was told you couldn't divide by zero. When I asked why, I was told it's just the way things are. I nearly had an aneurysm right then and there. It took me many years to figure out what would happen if you divide by zero. I simply could not accept, "That's just the way it is," as an answer.

I like the point you brought up about Annie competing against Wexler. It reminds me a bit of the issues brought up when Renee Richards wanted to compete as a female tennis player. This is a bit different, of course. Not only is it a different sport, but it seems to be more of a team effort. I don't see it so much as Annie against Wexler as a competition between the Sk8ter Grrls and the Train Wreck boys.

Still, there is the question of girls being able to skate as well as boys. Does Annie having been born with boy parts make her a better skater? I don't think so. Does the time she spends as Andy, or having parents who (I'm assuming) raised her as a boy give her an edge? Maybe ... possibly ... but I honestly don't think so. Considering her age, I could see maybe hormones might make a difference in musculature, but I think there's a lot more to skating than how strong you are.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Good points, but still

Heather, you make some valid arguments, but it's really a matter of perception, not reality. It's a piece of cake in any competitive event, to set it up so one contender can be beaten by another. It's not really a boy vs. girl thing, except mentally.

But I see two things at work here. First, the story is about Annie. It seems almost inevitable that she will be the heroine of the competition. Second, Wexler is the top dog. The other named boy, Walter Nguyen, is referred to as Wexler's "crony". Given that the competition involves three competitors for each side, I can see a one-one tie and a face-off between Annie and Wexler.

So, we're back to perception. If it gets out that Annie is Andy, then Wexler will be saying to one and all, "I wasn't beat by a girl".

Now, the Indy 500 is starting, and a record three women will be driving this year. Danica Patrick, Sarah Fisher, and Milka Duno Go get'em, girls!! Go Danica!!

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Threes

Um, a comment from a street skater: "Threes" doesn't mean 3 on 3. It means 3 events, on 3 different layouts. Usually half-pipe, empty pool, and quarter-pipe or freestyle. The girl writing this story is obviously a skater herself. I wonder if she lives nearby...

Anja Kobayashi (please don't make fun of my last name, my family loves me)

Heh. I still have a great

Heh. I still have a great board. Northern Missouri

Thanks, Anja

As I said, I'm not a skater, skateboarder, or anything like that. This is what happens when correct terminology is used that is not well known to the general public. Thanks for the correction.

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Perception, Gender, and Skating

I'm starting to see what you mean about the perception thing, Karen, which started me wondering, would Wexler feel better about being bested by someone who is perceived to be a boy who dresses as a girl? Whether or not Annie is outed, it looks like a Kobayashi Maru if isn't able to beat her. ;)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

division

Rachel Greenham's picture

An example of this was when I was learning about division and was told you couldn't divide by zero. When I asked why, I was told it's just the way things are. I nearly had an aneurysm right then and there. It took me many years to figure out what would happen if you divide by zero. I simply could not accept, "That's just the way it is," as an answer.

Bad teachers give answers like that.

I always liked Steven Wright's explanation that "Black holes are where God divided by zero." :-)

Agreed!

If I gave an answer like that to my students (7th and 8th grade math) they'd verbally, if not literally, rip me in half. Granted, I've only been a teacher for three years (I'm less than a decade older than some of them!).

Anja Kobayashi

School Teachers and Dividing by Zero

Today I can look back and sorta understand why my teacher had responded the way she had instead of getting into a deep discussion about number theory. With 30 or so other kids in the class, at least half of her time was spent just trying to keep some kinda order and she probably wasn't up to dealing with yet another question from a kid who seemed to question nearly everything she said. Fortunately, I learned pretty early that sometimes I just had to figure out things on my own and learned a lot of interesting stuff along the way. :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Divide and confuse

erin's picture

When I asked such a question in the eighth grade, my math teacher pointed at his math library and told me to look it up and write the explanation down instead of taking that week's quiz. That man was probably a third of all the reasons for my lifelong love of math. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Teams

It's the Sk8r Grrls versus Wexler's crew -- If you don't mind, I think I'll use "Train Wreck Crew" for them -- I hadn't thought of giving their group a "title"

Each event, Heather the Heathen will choose who participates from each team

Now, what can I say?

1)About Antediluvian. This word means - before the delige - and means that it was referring to something that was before Noah decided to build a boat. Interestingly enough, it was a much more widespread word in Russia. I should know, I live there! :)

2)About Cliffhanger. May God bring us deliverance from do-gooders! :) I can see Annie mumbling something like: "I wanted to tell you over the weekend".

3)About imploding skull. Where does one see it?

4)About dividing by zero. A great discussion here! :) Especially I liked god dividing by zero. Oh, and it's usually infinity, BTW.

Well, it seems about all. CU later!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Now, what can I answer?

  1. Kate likes words. She's leaving for college in about a year and is likely going to major in languages.
  2. I have a tendency to do the cliffhanger thing. A lot. It happens a lot in the next 23 chapters (which are already written, and are just going to be edited before reposting).
  3. A sci-fi movie starring Sean Connery from the 1970s called Outland was considered for a long time to be as close to what would really happen during decompression in a vacuum as you could see.
  4. It actually depends on what kind of math you're doing. In regular, real number mathematics it's simply an empty set -- that is, undefined with no meaning. If the divisor is zero, then is when you get an infinite sum as the answer. In programming, it simply causes termination.

I'm glad you're enjoying the story!

Did chapters up to 23 every

Did chapters up to 23 every appear anywher, either as text or a comic ?

As far as I know ..

... no further chapters of this story have been posted. I really wish Edeyn was still around, so I could check with her. I really miss her.

Nice celebration

Oooh! Repost almost exactly 3 years after initial posting... I quite don't believe it is coincidence. But its really nice to read it again. Only that cliffhanger... But fortunately, I have all previous posting on harddrive so I belive there will be some reading tonight.
Robin

I am updating

and changing them slightly as I repost, just so you know!

Changing?

Why? There is no need for it, its already "very good, very good indeed" (if can cite Masterharper Robinton). Only update needed for it are the beautiful illustrations - the most impressive so far was Andy/Annie sitting on windows´ ledge.
What about other projects? Dear Diary and Violet Ajah (After very good teaser I was really looking forward to it.)?
Cheering and waving along the way
Robin

Robinton

Was the best character in that entire series.

As for the update -- mostly cleaning up the language, making it fit 14-year olds better, fixing grammar, typoes, and a bit of the "feel" of it to make it right. I sometimes had trouble writing Annie. Part of that was it was difficult to write certain feelings of hers, and I'm putting a handle on that. Also, there are some issues coming up around Chapters 15 - 18 that really aren't kid-friendly topics. I'm not deleting them, but I will be separating the plot. One line will continue along the original plot. The other line will make it along the lines that parents will feel safe allowing their kids -- hopefully transgender youth with understanding parents -- into the story.

Dear Diary and other projects (including The Violet Ajah) will be coming back online, but slowly for now as I build speed back up. I have had a major personal issue for the past year that has directly affected my writing ability. I think I'm finally to a point that I can move beyond it. And this should bring more of the stuff that people have come to expect of me back on target.

Re-editing Sk8r Grrls


Hi Edeyn,
I just want to say I like your story alot and would like to thank you for sharing it. I was wondering when you will be finnished your re-edit on this story. I never got to read it the first time, and you mention 23 or more chapters. I look forward to seeing the rest. Thanks again,
Dvdicvs

Foiled again

Beastialmoon's picture

By the old 15-year-old unfinished story! I can see in the comments there's 23 more chapters - are they elsewhere or just not reposted at all? This was excellent and I'd love to read the rest.

I really should learn to stop reading decade old stories with only a few chapters lol