At Least It Could Have Been Worse

Printer-friendly version

At Least It Could Have Been Worse

by shalimar

When this started, it was late August 2005 and I was Barry Nardella, a stockbroker living alone on Long Island, NY in my co-op bachelor pad. I was making tons of money, but not satisfied with my life.

I had met Jenna about two years before that because of something I had written and posted on a website. By emails instant messages and finally by phone she told me how important my writings to her. Eventually we became close friends and although this was long distance and although I was only able to see her down in Lufkin, Texas a few times, we were becoming lovers. She came up to New York for the first Christmas and New Year’s Holidays, but she said she would never again come up North in Winter again. However, she did come again during the spring and fall.

At least it could have been worse.

Eventually, I found out that she always wanted to run a Cajun restaurant in her hometown of Lufkin. As that it is in East Texas, the city is really is on the border of the Cajun region and I thought it might be a great idea as I had eaten some of her Cajun dishes both here in New York and down in Lufkin.

I told Jenna that she should look for a location for that restaurant and I would pay for her to open it. It took several months, but she finally found a place that she believed would be an excellent location. It also had two apartments in the back, so she and her slightly invalid mother could live at the restaurant. It appeared ideal, but it had only problem. The property was for sale, and not for rent. When she told me the price of the property, I said we would buy it and she would run the restaurant. I even toyed with the idea that I should do my brokerage work out of Lufkin, instead of New York.

At least it could have been worse.

For the closing I decided to fly from La Guardia down to New Orleans. I would eat dinner at the Andrew Jackson and sleep in the downtown Hilton. My itinerary included renting a car and then travel to and from Lufkin. The car trip would only take a day, and Jenna assured me there were a few good hotels in the area that I could stay in if I didn’t want to stay at her home. Her offer was nice and I believed at the time that I would stay with her as long as I was in Lufkin, which was what I always had in mind.

At least things could have been worse.

As the drive to the airport was about 45 minutes, I decided it would be best if I took a taxi. I left, giving myself three hours to get to the airport and check in. That should have been plenty of time, but as luck would have it, the taxi broke down on the Grand Central. It was actually blocking traffic. By the time its replacement arrived my plane had just left.

Not knowing what to do, I went to the airport and explained my situation. I was able to get another flight to New Orleans about five hours later. I called Jenna and explained the situation and that I would be delayed a day. I also told her that I would wire her the money for the restaurant and property just in case I was delayed further. She was disappointed, but she understood.

I arrived in New Orleans late that night but still had my reservations available to me at the hotel, including the extra night’s stay that I needed. At the desk was a note from Jenna telling me that the money had arrived in her bank. Because of the time, I ate a simple meal at the hotel and missed eating at one of the best restaurants in the country.

At least it could have been worse.

I knew if I was to try and drive to Lufkin at that hour I would probably be stranded half way there or get into the town very late, so when I woke up around noon I decided to walk to Bourbon Street and the downtown area and take in the sites as New Orleans was a very pretty town with loads of history. In the evening I went to that famous restaurant I mentioned before, and was rewarded with the excellent food and service I expected. I only missed having dinner with my girlfriend, Jenna that night.

At least it could have been worse.

Because I missed the flight my car reservations had been canceled and they had no other vehicle available for me. So I called around and found a relatively unknown rental agency called, Rent a Wreck. The best way to describe their vehicles was old and in some situations looked like the wrecks the name of the place admitted. In fact, the best car I was able to get was a 1972 Charger that seemed to have a suped up engine to outrace a police vehicle. I knew that I would need to hold the reins of those horses tight in order not to get ticked by a Smoky hiding behind something.

At least it could have been worse.

I decided the best rout was to take I-10 to Beauford and then take the interstate up to Lufkin. Getting on the highway was easy having done this trip before, but the roads were heavier than I anticipated. The scenery was its usual flat and wet country that I had gotten used to, but it was windy. Fortunately the wind neither increased nor decreased as I traveled. What I was experiencing was the effects of the hurricane known as Katrina, but because of the direction I was traveling I was in the same part of the storm throughout the trip.

At least it could have been worse.

About thirty miles east of the Texas border the car began to shimmy. I pulled off the interstate and found a small gas station that did repairs.

The attendant put the car on the lift then told me, “You’re lucky. The “A” frame needs to be repaired, and quickly. If you had driven another ten miles you probably would have gotten into a bad accident.”

He showed me the problem by easily moving the front tires up and down and sideways.

“No wonder I was having trouble steering the car!” I told him.

Not knowing what to do I called the rental agency and received no answer. I assumed the car rental had probably evacuated because of Katrina.

“As far as the repair is concerned, either the rental company will authorize it or I will,” I told the owner of the gas station. “So get on it right away.”

“The repair itself will take about two hours.”

“Great.”

“But I don’t have the part.”

“How long will it take to get the part?”

“Hopefully within two days. There’s a hurricane that’s making things difficult.”

“Are there any car rental places in the area?”

He thought for a while then said, “Not that I know of.”

“Can you sell me a car?” I asked hopefully.

“Nothing I have is finished right now.”

“Hotels?”

“The closest ones are near Beauford,” he replied.

“I need to get to Lufkin. My girlfriend lives there.”

“You’re a Yankee.”

“And one of your southern belles stole my heart. I got even. I stole hers.”

“For that remark I’ll let you stay at my place for the night.”

“I don’t want to put you out of your way.”

“No problem, I don’t live with anyone so there’s plenty of room. By the way, my name’s Clem.”

“Barry. And, thank you. Is there a restaurant nearby?”

“No need, my sister will feed you.”

I sat in the reception room of the repair shop and waited for Clem to close up shop. I heard him on the phone getting the part then he called a lady that I assume was his sister.

I thought I heard him say, “This one will do.”

As I was on the phone at the time with Jenna and telling her that I will stay at Clem’s place that evening and I should be on the road again hopefully the next day, but I wasn’t exactly sure. She offered to pick me up, but I told her the roads were wet and very difficult to drive even this far away from the eye of the storm and by the time she could get here the repair should be done.

At least it could have been worse.

Having no other repairs, Clem closed his shop around six. We rode in his truck about a mile to a rambling farmhouse. I realized when we got there that I didn’t bring my suitcase. Although he was bigger than me, I was hoping that Clem has something that would fit me for the night.

At least it could have been worse.

“This is my sister’s home. I live in the house in the back. Although I own part of the farm, her husband does most of the work as I’m usually in the shop. I usually eat dinner with them,” he said as we entered the farmhouse.

As he introduced me to his sister, Andrea, I shook her hand. I did the same with her husband, Phil. Their sixteen-year-old daughter, Melissa just waved hi to me.

We sat down to the dinner table and Phil led us in grace before we ate. The food was excellent. There were string beans and potatoes for the vegetables and a strange, but tasty meat.

We were almost finished with the main portion when my curiosity got to me, “This meat is wonderful. What is it?”

“Gator,” Phil replied. “I shot the critter this morning. Guess the Hurricane drove it inland.”

“Still delicious,” I lied to him as I mentally puked.

After dinner, Andrea said to me. “There is a slight price for eating at my table, Barry. I need you to help me do the dishes.”

“No problem,” I replied as I got up to help her. “That meal is worth more than washing a few pots and pans.”

We talked as we cleaned the dishes. Although what Andrea said to me sounded more like gossip, I was listening with great interest. Never before did I think that hearing about other people like that would be interesting to me. The talk helped the time go by faster.

As we were drying our hands, Andrea asked me, “I didn’t notice you bring in a suitcase. Is it still in the truck?”

“I realized I forgot it when we got here.”

“Clem’s not going to go back for it. Let me see what I got for you. Come up to the bedroom with me.”

“Thank you. Will your husband be jealous that I’m going up to the bedroom with a pretty lady like you?”

“He’ll think nothing of it, but thank your for watching out for my honor,” she said as we climbed the stairs.

We entered a bedroom with a queen sized bed in it. She went to one side of the bed and opened a bottom draw and seemed to be rummaging for about a minute.

“I know it is in here someplace,” she said to me. “I put it there about a week ago. I just knew I would be needing it.”

“Can I help?”

“No, you don’t know what I’m looking for.”

“All I need is something to keep me warm during this storm.”

“Ah here it is,” she said as she pulled put something that was pink and had flowers on it. “This should fit you.”

At least it had long sleeves.

“It’s a lady’s nightgown!” I protested.

“It is clothing and it will fit you,” she insisted. “Besides no one else will know and you’ll be out ‘o here tomorrow. Try it on, sweetie.”

“Well, OK,” I replied as I took off my shit.

When I put it on I noticed that it wasn’t too small in the shoulders and the waist was loose enough. I was sure I was imagining things, but the darts that helped form the cups in the nightgown seemed to be holding up some of my flesh.

“Take a look in the mirror,” she suggested.

When I did I thought I saw a little cleavage, and my hair seemed just a bit longer than I remember it that morning. To me I actually looked good.

At least it could have been worse.

I took it off and put my shirt back on. We went downstairs and Clem took my nightgown and me to his home behind the main house. When we got there I noticed that there was only one bed, so I went to claim the couch for the night.

“No,” Clem said. “You take the bed.”

“I’ll be alright. I can sleep on the couch.”

“I insist.”

“It’s OK.”

“As you’re my guest you will have the benefit of the bed.”

“I can’t put you out.”

We stood there for what seemed minutes.

“I’ll tell you what,” I said pulling a quarter from my pocket. “I’ll flip you for it.”

“OK,” he replied. “One fall or two out of three?”

“Wrassle?” I asked.

“Why not?”

We got into a wresting lock, and immediately I was on my back with him on top of me. I don’t know why, but my thighs were around his. I also had this silly grin on my face.

“I tell you what,” he suggested. “We’ll share. Besides it is a queen sized bed, so there’s plenty of room for both of us.”

“OK.” I agreed.

I don’t know why, but I was actually happy that I was sharing my bed with him. I began to get dressed in that nightgown as he got into his pajamas. For some reason I was actually happy that it was pretty.

At least it could have been worse.

We slept on opposite sides of the bed. I slept soundly until the birds woke me up as the sun rose. In my dreamy state I thought I felt Clem’s hand on my breasts rubbing and pinching them. It felt mildly erotic, and although I never had homosexual feelings before, I wanted him to continue what he was doing. I even let him spoon me as he continued. It was relaxing and I fell asleep in his arms. When I awoke Clem was gone, and I when I went downstairs I found Andrea.

“Take a shower,” she told me. “I’ll leave clothes for you on the bed. Come over to my kitchen after and you can have breakfast.”

After the shower I discovered that she had left me a skirt, blouse, panties, a bra and sandals.

“I can’t wear that!” I said to myself as I looked for the clothes I wore the previous day.

After a half an hour of not finding them I finally decided to wear what Andrea left me and then have breakfast. What surprised me was that the bra actually held up some of my flesh. I felt a need, so I made sure my hair presentable.

At least it could have been worse.

“What happened to my clothes?” I asked as I ate some grits with milk.

“Your clothes are in the wash,” she explained. “They were dirty. After breakfast take them out of the washing machine and put them in the dryer. By the time they dry the boys will be back. So could you help me make lunch?”

“Sure,” I agreed.

“Make sure you set enough plates. Phil’s helpers would also be eating.”

“How many are there?”

“About seven including Phil, eight if Clem comes back in time.”

“After that could you come with me to town and help me buy some additional groceries that we don’t grow here?”

“Dressed like this?”

“Are you afraid you will show off too much of your assets in that? I could make you look less sexy, but if you have it you might as well flaunt it.”

What she said made me feel better about myself.

At least it could have been worse.

After we cleaned the dishes from lunch Andrea, Melissa and I drove into town and parked at what I believed was the village general store. There apparently was no Wal-Mart, Costco’s or any other chain store in town. While we bought the food and some cleaning supplies I noticed a pretty dress on one of the racks then picked it up to see it better.

“You should look sexy in it,” Andrea told me. “Why don’t you try it on?”

My emotions were in conflict. Part of me was saying that I was a man and shouldn’t even think about wearing that, but part of me needed to look pretty.

Andrea encouraged me by saying, “Don’t be shy.”

“I want to see what you look like, too,“ Melissa added.

I decided to try it on. When I came out of the changing room, the girls gushed over how pretty I looked. With the jewelry and makeup I bought and put on I felt pretty.

At least it could have been worse.

As we walked back to the truck I noticed a few men looking at me. It was a thrill that I enjoyed and wished that had happened before. I smiled as I mentioned it to Andrea.

I insisted we stop by Clem’s shop to see how my car was coming. He told me that the part still hadn’t come. I was disappointed, but kind of glad that I would be with Clem for another day. Before I left with the girls I put my arms around Clem’s neck and kissed him. His return kiss felt sensual and I melted in his arms. It was one of the nicest feelings I ever had. When we left I realized that the nipples on my breasts got pointy and I was also a little wet.

“I thought you were going to let him take you in the garage, Beth,” Melissa said.

“That’s not nice to say,” Andrea told her.

“Even if I wanted it to be true,” I added.

We giggled.

The man in me was shouting that I should be interested in a woman, not a man but it came to me like a whisper.

At least it could have been worse.

The three of us did a laundry, and then made dinner for the men when we got back to the farm. I was happily doing all the chores and enjoying the company of Andrea and her daughter. When Phillip came in Andrea gave him a hug and a big kiss. Melissa did the same with one of the hired help. A few minutes later Clem came in and I followed suit.

“I couldn’t get the part today,” Clem told me.

“I guess I will be staying another night,” I assumed.

“Same arrangement as last night,” he told me.

I smiled.

“That includes the dishes,” Andrea added.

“I’d be glad to.”

While we were doing the dishes I commented, ”It seems like I’m just a housewife.”

“Do you want to be his housewife?” Andrea asked.

“If he asks,” I replied, surprising myself.

I had to think. Was I a man needing to get to my girlfriend’s place or was I a woman in love with the gas station owner in rural Louisiana. I was confused.

When I told Andrea my problem, she said, “Go with your heart. It could be worse.”

I had a dilemma, but she was right.

At least it could have been worse.

Again Clem and I went into the back house and I put on that nightgown again as Clem got dress for bed. After he got in the bed I rolled over to him and cuddled in his arms. I felt safe in his strong arms. It made me happy. In fact I couldn’t imagine anything better. That night we also made love. Accepting him in me seemed the right thing to do and I was satisfied with the results.

In the morning I helped make breakfast and held onto Clem like I would never let him go until he finally said he really needed to open the gas station. In addition to helping Andrea with some of the chores I worked on the gas station books for the week. That kept me busy all day.

At least it could have been worse.

In the afternoon Clem called the house and told me the part came in and the car was repaired.

“But I want to stay with you,” I pleaded with Clem.

I realized I was crying.

“When I get back, we’ll talk about it,” he replied. “I think you’ll like what I have to say.”

When he finally got back from the garage, Clem took my hand and we walked outside the house onto the porch.

Clem went down on one knee and asked me to marry him, “We’re acting like a married couple anyway, so would you consent to be my wife?”

I smiled, cried and said, “I’d love to be your wife,” before hugging him and giving him the biggest kiss I could. His return kiss had his tongue in my mouth.

We walked back into the kitchen where Clem announced our intentions. The guys congratulated him and the women gave me hugs.

“When is this going to happen?” Andrea asked.

“We’ll talk to the preacher tomorrow when we go to church,” Clem explained. “We’ll let you know when we get a date.”

Later that evening I called Jenna and told her the good news. She told me that she was happy for me and wanted to meet my man as soon as possible just before I told her that she would be my maid of honor.

At least it could have been worse.

The church service was beautiful and the preacher’s sermon was to be like Jesus and forgive those who have done you wrong. I met some of the other parishioners and felt quite at home in this congregation. We later talked to the preacher and made arrangement to have the wedding on the Saturday three weeks from then. However, I was at loss as to where I could find a wedding dress so quickly.

At least it could have been worse.

When I called my parents that night and told them we were getting married, mom insisted that I fly to New York and she would buy me a wedding dress there, so in the morning Clem drove me first to Lufkin where Jenna joined me on the flight from Dallas as Clem went back home to Louisiana.

We stayed at my apartment for the two days while we went with mom to every bridal shop on Long Island. I finally found the perfect dress and beautiful gowns for my mother and best friend. Exhausted, but happy, Jenna, mom and I flew back to the farm to plan the rest of the wedding with Andrea’s help.

The next two weeks we were a whirlwind of activity which included the invitation list. We decided that it would only be close family, the farm hands, some of the brokerage house associates and Clem’s employees. Of course Jenna’s mom was invited.

It was during that time that Hurricane Rita did some damage to the farm. We lost power until we were able to start the back-up generator but we were still able to milk the cows. Also, a few shingles were torn off the house roof. There was a little flooding at Clem’s garage, but nothing got ruined.

At least it could have been worse.

Just after the storm I began to get doubts about the wedding.

Noticing my melancholy, Jenna pulled me over and asked me, “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know if I should marry Clem,” I explained. “He’s a good man and kind to me, but the only thing we have in common is the sex.”

“Are you sure there isn’t anything else?” she asked.

“I’ve been thinking about this the last few days, and I draw a blank. He hasn’t taken me out, or anything. I feel like I’m the hired help with the advantage of having a ring on my finger.”

“What are you going to do?”

“I don’t know, but I don’t think I could marry him. The idea of being the wife is good, but I can’t see myself with him. I don’t think it would last.”

I began to cry.

“Would you feel better if you called it off?” she asked.

I nodded several times as I sniffled and she held me.

“What if we pack, then you tell Clem. If you want you could stay at my place.”

“At least I’ll be close enough to come back if I change my mind again.”

With Jenna’s help I told my parents. They were disappointed, but understood. We packed and were ready to go when Clem arrived from work.

When he saw us putting our things into the car he asked, ”What’s going on?”

“There isn’t enough between us for the marriage to work,” I explained. “You’re a nice man, and I think the right girl will come along someday, but that’s not me.”

“Can’t we try to make it work?”

“No, I’m afraid not. I do love you, but not enough to marry you, and I doubt that it will ever happen.”

I took off my engagement ring and handed it to Clem. I kissed him on the cheek and then walked away.

As I was walking to the car Andrea came out of the house and told me, “You can’t leave him like this. He’ll be devastated.”

“He’ll get over it. I just can’t marry him.”

“What about the baby?”

I was surprised so asked, “What baby?”

“The one you two just created.”

“How could you know? Even if I am I don’t even know.”

“It is part of the spell.”

“What spell?”

“The one I did that made you a woman in love with Clem.”

“CHANGE ME BACK!” I demanded. “YOU DID THIS WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE OR MY PERMISSION!”

“I can’t, the baby.”

“So I’m stuck this way because of your perverted pleasure?”

“I did it for my brother. He’s a lonely man and needs to love.”

“Get a local girl.”

“There are none that he likes.”

“Not my problem. Have a good life.”

I didn’t start to cry until we were off the farm and on the main road.

At least it could have been worse.

Near the Texas border I felt queasy. I asked Jenna to pull over. She did it just in time for me to throw up. I felt better for about an hour when I again threw up. Mom put her hand on my head and noticed that I didn’t have a fever.

“Jenna," she said. “Pull into the next drug store you know about. I want to get a few things for Elizabeth’s problem.”

When we did she went into the store and brought out a few things. One of the packages was Kayopectate. She also bought a package of vitamins and an early pregnancy test. When we got to Jenna's home I peed on the tester like I was supposed to do and it was positive.

“Clem should know,” she told me.

“I agree, but I’m still not going to marry Clem.”

I called him and told him the news. He was happy that he would be a father and wanted to be able to see the child. I agreed. He also told me he wanted to help support us. I told him we would negotiate reasonable terms.

At least it could have been worse.

A week later we finally closed on the property that caused me to come down south and we started to get the restaurant together. I took the second apartment that also had two bedrooms. I decided that I would have the larger bedroom and my baby would have the second bedroom. I started to decorate.

I finally decided to have a sonogram. When the doctor told me I would have

TWINS!?

I fainted.

Based on an idea suggested by Judy White.

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Magic...hmmm..

kristina l s's picture

It's always just so.. scorpion and frog, isn't it. Nothing ever quite works the way it should. Twins...oh boy. Er...or girl, or...
Kristina

Lol

Just came across this on random thingys,it made me laugh.Just when I thought it couldnt get any worse along came another,
at least it could have been worse,and it piled up again.At least it could have been worse,if it wasnt for random stories I would have missed this great little story.Thank you very much.

devonmalc