Suzanne's cousin Clare: 4

Printer-friendly version

Clare

Suzanne and I get ready
to entertain her guests

Suzanne’s cousin Clare:
and how she changed my life

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 4

Dinner preparations

The next four days were fairly uneventful for me after the novelty and excitement of the previous weekend. Suzanne had done her best, as far as possible, to return me to the condition in which she’d found me on the previous Saturday morning. She successfully cleared away all traces of the acrylic nail tips, and, as it was winter, I was able to ensure that my shaven arms and legs would remain covered. The one thing I couldn’t hide, however, was my pierced ears. I suggested that we should let the holes close up, but Suzanne insisted that Clare would need them again the next weekend and told me to wear the studs at night and two tiny pieces of clear nylon fishing line to keep them open during the day. We just had to hope that nobody would notice, and certainly nobody at my work passed comment, if they did so. It was fairly busy at the office that week and on a couple of occasions, I worked late, which was helpful as I wished to leave early on Friday afternoon. In fact, by Thursday afternoon I’d clocked up sufficient extra hours for my boss Karen to agree that I could leave at lunchtime the following day.


Suzanne telephoned me on Thursday evening, as she’d earlier promised to do.

‘Hi Tom, I trust we’re still on for Saturday evening? I’ve told my friends that my cousin will be staying for the weekend.’

‘I guess so, although I still have my reservations about what you’re planning to do,’ I replied.

‘Don’t worry, you’ll be alright as long as we both prepare ourselves properly. Can you come round to my place after work tomorrow and stay the night, so we have plenty of time to get ready?

‘Yes, I suppose so. Actually I’m having Friday afternoon off work and so I could arrive any time after about 2.30pm.’

‘That’s brilliant, please come as early as you can. Will you also still be able to stay over until Sunday evening again?’

‘I hadn’t really thought about Sunday.’

‘I hope you can. If all goes well, I should like to take you out to celebrate our success.’

‘And what if all goes badly?’ l asked

‘Well in that case you can take me out to commiserate.’

‘I could stay, if you wish as I’ve nothing else planned and it’ll inevitably take a few hours for me to change back to Tom after the dinner.’

‘That’s agreed then. I’ve been sorting out my spare bedroom and have found some more clothes for Clare to wear. By the way how are your ear lobes feeling?’

‘They’re alright, I think. They were a little sore for a couple of days but now I have no trouble putting in and taking out those studs that you gave me.’

‘That’s good, because I’ve found just the right pair of earrings for Clare to wear with my long grey dress on Saturday night. We’ll do as much of the basic preparation as soon as you arrive on Friday afternoon and evening which will leave you plenty of time to get into character and for us both to make ourselves look glamorous on Saturday afternoon.’

‘What do I need to bring with me?’

‘Nothing at all — just bring yourself with as few clothes as would be necessary to avoid pneumonia, adverse comment on the underground or arrest in the street. There must be as little evidence of Tom around the flat as possible. Also, from the time you arrive until the time you leave, there must be no reference to anyone except my cousin Clare.’

‘Very well, I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon,’ I answered laughing.


‘Are you planning to do anything special this weekend Tom?’ asked my colleague Debbie, as I was getting ready to leave work on Friday lunchtime.

‘I’ll be staying with my friend Suzanne, the one who suffers from muscular dystrophy. I’m helping her to organise a dinner party on Saturday night,’ I answered.

‘That’s very noble of you. Who will be doing the cooking?’

‘Suzanne can still manage to cook by herself, I’ll just be the helper.’

‘So you’ll just be acting as kitchen maid and waitress?’ she asked.

‘Something like that,’ I answered, blushing.

‘In that case, you can tell me how it went on Monday, there’s only going to be the two of us in the office in the morning so we’ll need something to talk about,’ she said as I left.

On the way home I wondered whether there was any significance in her choice of the feminine forms in her questions to me. Did she suspect something or was I just being paranoid? Was there something in my looks or manner that had given her a clue to our plans, or was it just a fluke? Would it matter if she did know about Clare? After all, she’d previously made it quite clear that whilst she was happy to be friends with me, there would be nothing else between us.


I arrived at Suzanne’s flat at the promised time having first been home and changed into some jeans, a t-shirt and jacket. I was carrying a bunch of flowers and a bottle of white wine.

‘Here you are Suzanne; these are for your dinner party tomorrow.’

‘Tom I thought I told you not to bring anything.’

‘Yes I know, but these are contributions from Clare rather than from Tom,’ I said pointing to the label on the flowers, which contained that name. ‘She wanted to thank you for last weekend.’

Suzanne smiled.

‘In that case you’d better come in and get changed so that I can thank her in person for offering to help me this weekend,’ she replied.

I entered the flat.

‘I’ve put out some clothes and cosmetics for you in the spare room,’ said Suzanne. ‘I should like you to get changed and put on your makeup straight away. You’ll find a small suitcase next to your bed, please put the clothes that you’re now wearing inside and then leave it outside your bedroom door, and I’ll lock it away in my bedroom so there will be no danger of it being found.’

‘You just want to make sure that I don’t have any last minute attack of nerves,’ I said smiling.

‘Well that’s also a factor! By the way, will we need to de-fuzz your arms and legs again?’ she asked.

‘No, I had a bath last night and did them myself using a safety razor’ I replied.

‘What a clever girl you are?’

‘No I’m a guy when I’m dressed like this, remember?’

‘Sorry, but you had now better get yourself changed into a girl as quickly as possible.’


An hour and a half later I emerged from the bedroom dressed in a silk blouse, black skirt, tights, slippers and the earrings, I’d previously worn. I’d also brushed the hair of Suzanne’s wig into a simple style.

‘I’ve done my best with my eye makeup but I think I’ll need your help again tomorrow.’

‘Hmm, your eye shadow and the mascara are acceptable but the eye liner isn’t quite right, but don’t worry it’ll come with practice. Your foundation and your lips look good though,’ she commented.

‘Thanks, I bought myself some mascara and a lipstick after work on Monday and have been trying them out at home in the evenings’ I replied, blushing a little, but pleased with the compliment.

‘I thought your eyelashes looked a little fuller and darker than they did last week, but there was really no need for you to buy anything. I could have provided you with everything you might need. I’ve masses of cosmetics, most of which have never been used and I’ll not live long enough to use them.’

I changed the subject, not wishing to dwell on the future.

‘I’ve also been studying the way that women walk, both at work and on television and I’ve been practicing.’

‘Good, but be subtle, don’t accentuate the differences too much.’

‘Will you also help me to do my finger nails again?’ I asked in a matter-of-fact way

‘Yes of course, we can do them this evening as soon as we’ve eaten dinner. I must say Clare you’ve made a pretty good job with your appearance today,’ she commented.

'So you think that I look quite nice,' I said with a smile.

'Very nice indeed.'


Over dinner Suzanne briefed her ‘new cousin’ about everything I might need to know concerning Clare’s background. From time to time I would ask her for clarification, and I made some notes of the key facts.

‘Your name is Clare Alice Simpson; you were born 13th October 1983 (so that means you’re just twenty-three years old). ‘You were born in Melbourne Australia but came to this country as a baby (which explains why you don’t have an Australian accent). You currently live with your mother at 162 Station Road, Loughborough in Leicestershire. Have you ever been there?’

‘Actually yes, I have two cousins living at a place called Shepshed, which isn’t very far away,’ I said. ‘I stayed with them last summer and we went into Loughborough shopping on a couple of occasions.’

‘That’s lucky because I’ve only been there once myself and I’m fairly sure that neither of my friends knows the town.’

‘But do I look old enough to be twenty-three?’ I asked Clare.

‘I think so, you certainly look a year or two older as Clare, than you used to do as Tom, especially when you're dressed up and wearing makeup,’ answered Suzanne. ‘Your mother is named Helen; she was the younger sister of my late mother who was called Elizabeth. You work as a secretary and receptionist for a small company in the town. We don’t know one another very well and have only met on a couple of occasions when we were children.’

‘Do I have a boyfriend?’

‘That’s up to you to decide. I’ve told you everything that I’ve already said to Christine and Eleanor and so you’re welcome to fill in the gaps as you choose. If they ask you any question to which you don’t know the answer, then you’ll probably be fairly safe to invent one. However, I would advise you not to get too carried away and to try and keep your story as simple as you can so you don’t get caught out.’

‘Alright but I think you’d also better explain to me what I’m doing here this weekend,’ I said.

‘Your mother has recently heard that I’ve been ill. You were planning to come down to London for another reason (you can decide what this is) and so your mother has asked you to make contact to see how I am and if there’s anything they can do to help. When you telephoned me last week suggesting that we meet, I told you about my dinner party and invited you to stay for the weekend. Can you remember all that?’

‘Yes I think so. I’ll try to portray her as a quiet little mouse with a boring life,’ I replied.

‘No, not too boring! Remember that you look fairly attractive and sophisticated as a girl, so it would be natural for you to be fairly self-confident as well,’ said Suzanne smiling.

‘In that case maybe I ought to invent a boyfriend for myself.’

‘Perhaps it would be better if you were just getting over the break-up of a relationship, that way they’ll not ask you too many questions about him.’

‘Very well, I’ll do my best,’ I answered.

‘Just one last thing, you can use the handbag that I loaned you last weekend, which is in your room. Have a quick look to familiarise yourself with what is inside. When you go to the bathroom, remember to take your handbag and refresh your lipstick. You’ll also find a purse with a chequebook and bank debit card in the name of Miss C.A. Simpson. You’ll find the signature is quite straightforward and easy to copy. If you get the opportunity, I would like you to write out and hand me a cheque during the course of the evening,’

‘Why is that?’

‘After you’ve given it to me I’ll put it up on the mantel piece where the others would be able to see. It’ll be just one more means of confirming your identity, if there’s any doubt in their minds.’

‘Suzanne, why do you have a bank account in the name of a fictitious cousin?’

‘It’s a long story — but a few years ago I needed to live under a false identity for a few weeks to prevent a former boyfriend from finding me, and so I opened an account in the name of Clare Simpson, who was a couple of years younger than me. In those days it was far easier to open new bank accounts than it is now and they didn't ask for multiple proofs of identity. I’ve never had cause to close the account and so I use it for financial transactions from time to time.’

‘Is that legal?’ I asked.

‘I don’t know, but as long as the account doesn’t go into the red and I don’t try and cheat anyone using it, then nobody is likely to find out,’ she replied.


After dinner Suzanne again attached the acrylic extensions to my finger nails and then carefully polished them so that the joins were not visible.

‘It’s best for us to do this now so at least you can spend some time getting used to them before tomorrow evening. I know they’re a little bit awkward to wear, but they do make a lot of difference to the appearance of your hands.’

‘So I see. I must admit that they do feel quite 'nice, as well,’ I said admiring my outstretched hand. ‘What else would you like me to do for you tomorrow?’

‘Would you be willing to do some last minute shopping for me in the supermarket in the morning, whilst I begin to get the meal ready?’

‘I suppose so, as long as you’ll check out my makeup and hair before I go.’

‘Thanks, and when you return you can help me to organise the room and lay the table.’


The following morning I was washed, dressed and ready to go out by 10.00am, and my hair and makeup only required a little remedial action by Suzanne.

‘You’re becoming quite competent with your makeup, and I get the distinct impression that you enjoy making yourself look pretty,’ commented Suzanne.

‘Maybe, just a little,’ I answered, blushing.


The trip to the supermarket proved to be fairly uneventful. There were plenty of people around, but nobody seemed to look at me in an untoward way, just the occasional admiring glance from young men as I passed. At first I found this to be a little disconcerting, but then I told myself it was something which all girls experienced to some degree. I spent a little time at the makeup counter, without the intention of buying anything, but to get an idea of the range of products on sale. This was something I’d never be able to do without embarrassment if I were dressed as a young man. When it came to the checkout I paid by means of the switch card in Clare’s name, which Suzanne had provided, entering her pin number. I then carried the shopping home. It wasn’t far, but with the shopping bags I wished I’d chosen to wear some lower heels.

Once I returned to the flat I helped Suzanne to prepare the dishes and get her flat ready for the dinner party. By half past four all the preparations for the dinner that could be carried out in advance were complete: the meal was safely cooking in the oven and the table had been laid.

‘Alright young lady, it’s time for us to help one another to get ready for the ball. Please will you clean off your makeup with this cold cream, take off the wig and then hop into the shower, I’ve already laid out your clothes for this evening on the spare bed. When you’ve finished in the shower, get yourself dressed as far as your underclothes and then I’ll come and help you to put on your makeup.

I did as I was instructed, once again inserting the false breasts into my bra and putting on the lingerie, this time without any difficulty. Whilst I waited for Suzanne to take a shower and get dressed, I looked at myself in the mirror in the spare bedroom. I wasn’t wearing any makeup or a wig, just the dark blue underclothes and a pair of stockings and some slippers, but there was no doubt that I looked like a young woman. As I did so, I wasn’t aware that Suzanne had appeared at the bedroom door in her underclothes, and had been watching me examine my reflection.

‘You make quite an attractive young woman, even without the makeup,’ she commented.

‘As long as I can convince your friends.’

‘How are you feeling now?’ she asked.

‘A little nervous, but I suppose I’m alright. How about yourself?’

‘I’m ok thanks. Now Clare, are you sure that you’re willing to go ahead with my plan?’

‘Well I’ve come this far and so I may as well go through with it now,’ I answered.

‘As I said before, I’m really grateful to you, and who knows you may even have a good time this evening?’

‘I’ll decide about that after your visitors have left without having discovered my true sex.’

‘Alright then, sit yourself down and I’ll help you to put on your wig and some makeup.’


Despite her recent loss of mobility, and difficulty in lifting weights, Suzanne was still perfectly competent in the use of makeup and hair styling, and so over the next two hours she transformed both herself and myself into glamorous young women, once again explaining what she was doing at each stage. Suzanne also loaned me some long dangling earrings, together with a matching necklace and bracelet, and then helped me to put on the long grey dress and matching high-heeled shoes. I in turn helped her to put on her own bright red dress. In spite of her condition she still could look good.

‘So what do you think of yourself now Clare?’ asked Suzanne when we were finished.

‘I think we both look amazing!’ I said once again looking at myself in disbelief.

‘Well you certainly now look and sound the part, and with my perfume you also smell like a woman as well,’ commented Suzanne. ‘It’s now up to you to make sure you act like one as well.’

‘I promise to do my best both to act and also think like a woman,’ I replied.

‘Good, I believe you’ll do well this evening,’ said Suzanne patting me on the hand.

Next time: Suzanne's dinner party

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you,Louise,

ALISON

I hope all goes well for them both,Clare and Suzanne.It could be the making of Clare permanently.

ALISON

Excellent chapter

Nicely progressing along, comfortable (like an old pair of shoes) yet a well thought out storyline, several possible outcomes and I look forward to see the twists and turns. Nice to read a story where the hero/heroine isn't tricked/forced/magiced or otherwise coerced into helping. Who wouldn't help a dying friend if they possibly could? Thanks for another great story, can't wait for next chapter.
Dave

Afraid or hopeful

Louise Anne,
Nice story, I like it when other people are real as well.

Clare doing some things during the week seem to indicate her head is thinking of and maybe welcoming possibilities. How is she managing to make her upper torso look nice instead of making her feel awkward?

You have cracked the door in Tom's worklife where Deb might be seeing some identifying changes.Is Deb herself TG? The invitation to talk Monday sounds as though she is accepting of her suspicions. I have made the mistake of not removing all traces. I think some teen girls noticed. Two out of three have reamined comfortablewith me.

While I don't urge the progression of her illness, I hope Clare can relate more to Sussane and be their for her. Be a bit more emotionally attached.

JessiC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Suzanne's cousin Clare: 4

Without Suzanne, Clare would never be. Will Clare become permanent?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Real people...

... are so much better - I have to agree with Jessica; you make these characters come to life! How helpful is Suzanne!!

Hmmnnm! I wonder Louise?

Is Suzanne really who she says she is?

And is Clare being set up?

I guess I'll find out soon.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Thanks Louise for this story

The anticipation is delicious.
Clare is complete, except for confidence which should arrive on the 8:15
A bit of humour is always nice.

Cefin

: