Harry Potter and the Curse of the Emerald Witch - Part IV

Printer-friendly version
PART IV

For a moment, nothing happened and the full feeling was freed from her mind. She thought she had beaten The Emerald Curse. Suddenly, the amulet chain tightened and began to squeeze tightly on her throat. She tried to pull it off as it dug into her skin but it was much too strong. She trashed about the place, gasping for air, wrenching and choking.

"The old man must DIE!’’ screamed Alys.

"Arrrrrgh!’’ croaked Heather, pleading for Alys to stop.

She started to feel woozy and her vision began to blur. She stumbled backwards, and flipped over the window ledge, plummeting towards the earth. The world seemed to dissolve around her as she slipped into a slow deathful trance. She stared up at the stormy clouds as lightening flashed. She thought it would be the last thing she'd ever see. Everything seemed to be suspended in slow motion as if she were having some spiritual experience. The amulet loosened and her breath returned, yet, she knew she was dead.

Then, suddenly, the voice of a young man cried out allowed.

"Aresto Momentum!" roared the voice.

Heather stopped falling, only inches from the ground. She stared down at the ground, panting with relief as she floated. She was trembling all over, shaking after the near death experience. Her heart pounded as she was turned upwards to her feet but the minute her school shoes touched the ground, she collapsed under her frail, shaking legs. She looked up into the grey sky, breathing frantically as if she were hyperventilating. The amulet beneath her blouse was thumping like an extra heart, sending pulses of emotion around her body.

Somebody ran to her side and placed her head into their arms. Heather looked to see who it was. Her vision focused in to see Draco Malfoy, looking frightened and concerned. For a moment she thought she was dreaming or perhaps dead.

"Are you alright?" he asked, looking worried and a little over protective.

"Y-Yes, t-thank you," she stuttered confusedly.

She thought she was delirious. The mere thought of Malfoy helping her was mind boggling.

"Here," said Malfoy, taking a flask from underneath his jacket. He flicked open the cap and handed it to Heather.

"T-Thanks," she said as her lips touched flask tip.

She took a mouth full of water and handed the flask back to Malfoy. She couldn't believe how nice he was to her. He seemed like a totally different person and she wondered if it was a joke or some sort of a prank. He helped her to her feet and she brushed the dust off her skirt and jumper. She felt better all of a sudden.

"W-Why?" asked Heather, taking a step back from Malfoy.

"Why what?" said Malfoy, moving closer.

"Why did you save m-me," asked Heather, feeling ever so confused. ‘’You hate me!’’

"Let’s forget that you were ever Potter for a moment," he said.

Malfoy placed his hand on Heather’s back and moved her alongside, gesturing her to walk with him. She didn’t know whether to be disturbed by his strange, alluring behaviour.

"Is this some sort of a joke -," asked Heather, ‘’ - because if it is you can tell me now.’’

"NO!’’ he snapped.

Suddenly a slight look of panic swirled about within his eyes. He looked flustered, hot under the collar and a little uncomfortable. He cleared his throat, reinstating his forced, smug smile.

‘’You seemed to have finally come to your senses Heather,’’ he smiled. ‘’By joining Slytherin you have entered a house with a grand history of some of the greatest sorcerers of all time, a house of superiors, a house of perfection,’’ he passionately.

Heather wasn’t really paying much attention to Malfoy. Rather, she was lost within his piercing gaze, yet it made her nervous. She felt as if there were butterflies in her stomach, fluttering about and tickling her. She didn’t notice but her breathing became more notable as her eyes sunk with passion.

‘’What on earth is happening to me?’’ she thought.

As they walked over the wooden footbridge towards the castle, Heather’s strange, disturbing feelings accelerated. As Malfoy spoke she began to sigh and play with her hair, nodding and giggling uncontrollably. Her feelings of hate and loathe were rapidly coated with lust and passion. She quickly threw all of her hateful feelings of her nemeses out of her head, letting the strong power of sudden infatuation take over. It was an incredibly odd feeling, something she didn’t even comprehend.

They walked through the clock tower, Malfoy putting his arm out.

"Can I walk you back to the common room Heather?" he asked politely.

Something made her think, ‘’don’t do it!’’ whereas the greater part of her mind said, ‘’do it!’’. She couldn’t help it. She linked arms with Malfoy and stared dreamily into his face. Her mind was spinning. The dangerous and complex mixture of sudden love along with the dark thoughts of Emerald transformed her completely.

"Don't forget —, ‘’ hissed Alys, “- we will accomplish self-fulfilment!"

Heather twisted her neck in order to shake Alys out of her mind. She continued to walk down the corridors, arm in arm with Draco Malfoy. Passing students gazed at them both, not believing their eyes. Some people’s mouths dropped with shock and disbelief whereas other completely ignored them both, brushing them off as a normal couple.

"What are you staring at?" snapped Malfoy, pushing a gazing first year aside.

People whispered into each other’s ears as they cut through a large group of students. They walked around a corner, ignoring everyone, Malfoy looking quite pleased. To Heather, it was just she and Malfoy, nobody else. They swiftly walked around a corner, bumping into Ron and Hermione.

It was as if everything was suddenly suspended in slow-motion. Ron’s face dropped into a horrified state as he looked at the couple. Hermione stood back, her eyes welling tearfully as if she were just told about the death of a loved one.

"What the bloody hell is going on here?!" demanded Ron.

"Heather —," said Hermione softly, shaking her head with huge disappointment.

"Out of our way Weasel bee!" sneered Malfoy.

"No! We want to know what y-you are doing linking arms with this — this, it’s Malfoy, Heather! You both hate each other!" bellowed Ron.

Hermione stepped back again, leaning up against the wall, utterly speechless.

"She can hang out with whoever she wants you bloody idiot! You can't tell her what to do!" said Malfoy, wearing his signature sneer. "She's a Slytherin now, get out of our way!’’

"Heather —," squeaked Ron, turning to Heather in the hope of her backing him.

"I — I —," she stuttered, unable to find the words.

"Come on darling, we don't have time for these losers, the common room should be empty now so maybe we could eh - ," said Malfoy.

Malfoy pushed Ron out of the way, gently tugging Heather alongside him. She turned her head and looked over her shoulder to see Ron and Hermione, watch the person they hated the most drag their best friend away by the hand. It was as if she had died to them.

***

They are standing aligned in front of her, black mist around their ankles as they stood staring. Heather felt as if she were in court about to be sentenced by the ones she loved.

"You are nothing to us!" said Hermione in a cruel tone of voice.

"What chance would you have in killing the great Albus Dumbledore, you’re too weak!" said Ron coldly.

Then a figure rose out of the mist, forming into a grand, handsome man, Sirius Black.

‘’You’ve disappointed me Heather. You truly have,’’ said Sirius, refusing to make eye contact. ‘’I can’t imagine what poor James and Lily would think of you now.’’

The comments were too much for her to handle. She tried desperately to ignore them but it was hopeless. Rage got the better of her.

"NOOOOO!" she screamed.

She rapidly drew her wand and unleashed her rage upon her loved ones by firing a spell at each of them, one by one bursting into a pile of dust. She then fell to her knee's screeching unnaturally, her hands over her ears.

"Leave me alone!" she cried. ‘’Just go away!’’

Then the mist changed to emerald green and a massive figure rose out of the distant clouds. It was the Alys the Emerald Witch. She let out demonic groans of pain and horrific roars of anger as she rose. The wind accelerated, throwing Heather off of her feet, making it hard for her to breathe as the ground thundered ferociously.

"What has Dumbledore ever done for you?’’ said Emerald’s booming voice. ‘’He let me get to you. He let you become this, foolish old man!"

Heather refused to look at Emerald, instead staring at the dust piles that used to be her friends. Then, the particles began to move across the ground, sticking and joining together. She got up and kept her wand at the ready as the dust piles combined, becoming larger and larger as they built up to form an old man with a long white beard, Dumbledore himself.

‘’Sir,’’ whispered Heather, lowering her wand.

He walked towards her, expressionless and zombie-like.

‘’I have failed you Harry,’’ he said sadly. ‘’I have failed you.’’

‘’No, Sir you don’t underst -,’’

‘’I think I do Harry,’’ he said mournfully, ‘’Just look at what you have become, weak, feeble, and frail. What would your parents have thought?"

Something exploded inside Heather. She screamed, "AVADA KEDAVRA!", and a burst of green light ignited from the tip of her wand, sending her back to reality as the spell hit the headmaster straight in the chest.

She woke up, drenched in sweat, breathing heavily. It took her a few moments to realise where she was, the Slytherin girls dormitory. She looked down to see that the amulet was flashing. Her head fell back onto her pillow. She buried her face in her hands and breathed a worried sigh. She turned in her bed and held onto her amulet. It offered her comfort and soon, she fell asleep again.

‘’I will do as you ask Emerald,’’ she whispered tearfully as she gave in to defeat.

Heather’s eyes slowly flickered open. She gasped for air as if she was just pulled out from a deep lake. It was finally morning. The light shone through the curtains creating beautiful rays of sunshine and the room felt warm and welcoming for once. She slowly lifted her sore head and sat up in the bed. Her long blonde hair was a complete mess. She looked tired and worn. She yawned as she slowly slipped out of bed. Sitting on the edge, she looked around the dormitory to see that all of the other girls were still snoozing in there four-poster beds. She stood up and wobbled a bit, feeling woozy and light headed. She took the emerald amulet out from under her night dress and looked at it. For a brief moment she thought she had lost it. She gave a great sigh of relief and clenched the pendant to her chest.

It was Saturday morning, so she wasn’t required to wear her uniform today. She went to her trunk and looked for something to wear. Most of her clothes were still ‘’Harry’’ clothes. She frowned at her favourite pair of jeans, feeling unusually repulsed at the thought of wearing them. However, she put them on, followed by a grey t-shirt and black sneakers. She looked down at her body and felt quite silly. Her old favourite outfit didn’t suit her anymore. She then had a solution. She began to rack her brains for the spell Hermione used to transfigure her uniform. She then snapped her fingers as it came to her. She picked up her wand and said lowly, yet clearly the spell, ‘’Boutiqimai!’’

Her jeans immediately tightened against her skin and pulled themselves up over her thighs, and up to her waist, hugging her curves snugly and darkening in colour. Her grey t-shirt changed to a peach colour and formed a rounded collar around the neckline, the shirt split down the middle front and buttons appeared, fastening the newly formed blouse together, the short sleeves lengthened and tightened against her arms. The peach coloured blouse then tucked itself into her newly transfigured high waisted jeans and her old runners changed into a pair of cream slip on shoes.

‘’Phew!’’ she gasped.

Heather then brushed and tied her hair back into a pony tail and crept out of the dormitory quietly, trying not to wake anyone. The amulet remained fastened around her neck, hidden under her blouse from everyone’s view. She left the Slytherin dungeons and set off down the corridors for the Great Hall. Not many students were up yet because it was quite early in the morning and the majority of them enjoyed a sleep-in on a Saturday.

She sat down at the long Slytherin table. Only a few were present and they, of course, stared at Heather. She tucked into her breakfast, trying to ignore the stares whilst crudely attempting to contain her annoyance and anger. She did not notice but Ron and Hermione walked passed her from behind, completely ignoring her. She tried to finish her breakfast quickly so she could go somewhere to be alone with the amulet to await new orders of Alys.

Suddenly, her thoughts were brought back to what happened the previous day when the amulet attempted to kill her. That didn’t stop her from protecting it. She felt comfortable with it and when she took it off, she felt cold and alone. She then began to think about Draco Malfoy. How he had heroically saved her from death and how she had immediately gained incomprehensible feelings towards him. Those feelings were suddenly gone. Yesterday she thought she was in love with him but today her ‘’love’’ had completely vanished! It confused her greatly, almost painful to think about it. She remembered holding his hand. The very thought made her shudder, almost making her gag on the toast she was eating. What was I thinking? She thought. She had no idea what had came over her and she couldn’t even bring herself to think about what she and Malfoy had done when they went back to the common room, together and alone. It made her feel physically sick.

She sat alone, finishing up the last of her breakfast, ready for a day in the library to study for the O.W.L. exams. Then, someone sat down opposite her. It was a girl, a Slytherin girl.

‘’Hi,’’ she said.

Heather, feeling surprised that someone was talking to her, swallowed her bacon painfully without chewing.

‘’You’ve probably already heard of me before but I’m Daphne Greengrass,’’ she said in a rather over-confident, cocky tone of voice.

Heather didn’t say anything and rudely ignored Daphne, returning to her food with the hope of the strange girl leaving. But she didn’t leave, even after how much Heather tried to make the situation as awkward as possible.

‘’I-I couldn’t help but notice that you and Malfoy were together yesterday,’’ said Daphne.

Heather felt as If a steaming hot bowl of water was spilled over her as her cheeks fired up ablaze.

‘’So?’’ said Heather, trying to hide her shame.

‘’So, maybe we Slytherin’s have misjudged you Potter! You seem to fit far better in our house than that — that wretched Gryffindor house!’’ said Daphne, wrinkling her nose as if she were talking about a piece of filth.

Heather didn’t like the conversation one bit. She refused to look at Daphne, instead staring at her food.

‘’What’s your point?’’ said Heather, poking a sausage around the plate, not making it an easy flowing conversation.

Daphne seemed to getting a little impatient with Heather’s carelessness.

‘’Look, what I’m saying is — is that maybe you could hang out with us? You’d be part of the schools superior clique and you would be guaranteed immediate respect and loyalty amongst your peers!’’ said Daphne, wide-eyed and passionate about what she was saying. ‘’You’d be a fool not to accept! Not many are permitted to be our friend!’’

Slytherin students had rather odd views on what friendship was. They recruited friends into groups and cliques by class, blood status and wealth. It was almost like joining the army. Heather mumbled under her breath, dismissing everything Daphne said.

‘’Do you want to come hang out with us today?’’ asked Daphne, trying to sound sweet and nice, but instead sounding mocking and annoying. ‘’It’ll be just you, me and a few others?’’

‘’Sorry I have plans,’’ muttered Heather.

‘’Plans?’’ scoffed Daphne. ‘’What plans?’’

‘’I have to go to the library,’’ said Heather.

Daphne laughed at this.

‘’The library?! Well good luck with making friends there sunshine because that place is filled with geeks and —, ‘’

‘’, - If I say yes will you go away?’’ said Heather, finally looking up at Daphne.

Daphne looked taken aback and offended. For a moment Heather thought she would attack her but her shocked face formed into a crooked smile.

‘’Excellent!’’ said Daphne. ‘’I shall see you later in the common room!’’

Daphne then left Heather alone to finish her breakfast. She got up and left the Great Hall to go back to the dungeons. She began to think about what she was doing; about to hang out with Slytherin’s seemed daft yet rather normal to her. She approached the wall and uttered the password, revealing a hidden passage into the dungeons. She swiftly walked in and sat herself on the black leather couches where she began to read her Defence Against the Dark Arts textbook. She could feel the amulet pulsing beneath her blouse as if it was happy. Heather sighed and looked around the dark green lit room. She looked up at the stone Slytherin crest carved into the wall above the fireplace, proudly displaying the house’s might.

‘’Don’t forget,’’ whispered Emerald. ‘’I’m with you!’’

Heather closed her eyes and whispered back, ‘’I know’’.

She heard movement in the room and looked over her shoulder to see Daphne enter through the passage with another person. He was Blaise Zabini, a dark handsome boy with high cheekbones and long, slanting eyes. Heather stood up and turned to them both. Daphne was rather pretty for a Slytherin girl. She had long thick brunette hair that curled at the bottom, piercing green eyes, button nose, full lips and an air of elegance.

‘’Are you ready?’’ asked Daphne.

‘’Yes,’’ said Heather in a rather refined tone of voice. ‘’What are we going to do for the day?’’

‘’Well we’re going to have some fun!’’ grinned Daphne.

Heather had no idea what Daphne meant by ‘’fun’’ but she didn’t like the sound of it. The three left the Slytherin dungeons and climbed up the stairs to ground level. Heather noticed that Daphne was walking slightly ahead of her and Blaise. She watched her as she took the lead, her dislike of her increasing by the second. Daphne appeared to be the leader which bothered Heather. She wanted to be in control.

‘’I’m Blaise by the way, Blaise Zabini,’’ said Blaise, looking over at Heather as they walked.

‘’Yes, I know who you are,’’ said Heather sharply.

From the very first syllable that sounded from Blaise’s lips, Heather knew immediately that he was a pompous, preppy rich boy who was spoilt. The three walked briskly through the castle in silence for a few moments before exiting the building through the west exit

‘’Where are we going?’’ asked Heather impatiently.

‘’We going to teach someone a lesson,’’ said Daphne.

A small part of Heather highly disliked the sound of ‘’teaching somebody a lesson’’ but the greater part was a little anxious, excited and even a little lustful.

‘’So,’’ said Blaise, breaking the silence, ‘’are you and Draco going out with each other now?’’ he asked rather anxiously.

‘’What — no!’’ said Heather quickly, ‘’Why does everyone think that?’’

‘’Well to be honest, the two of you were openly holding hands in front of the whole school yesterday!’’ said Daphne, looking over her shoulder as she walked ahead.

‘’And Draco told nearly everyone about how you both snogged last night too!’’ Blaise added.

Heather’s stomach lurched and her heart skipped a beat. She stopped walking, falling behind as she felt she was about to vomit. She took a few easy breaths, attempting to calm herself.

‘’Why are you stopping?’’ snapped Daphne, whipping her hair around.

Heather couldn’t understand what came over her. She kissed Malfoy, of all people in the world. She felt as if she were in a nightmare or worse awake in hell. She quickly snapped out of it.

‘’S-Sorry,’’ she stammered, looking at the ground, confused and a little worried.

‘’Well come on then!’’ urged Daphne.

Heather looked up, nodded, and swallowed her shock and disgust of herself. She began to walk again, Daphne taking the lead. She began to think, racking her brains for what happened between her and Malfoy. It was frustrating. She guessed maybe she was just shaken after nearly plummeting to her death so she was dazed and confused.

No, that can’t be it! She thought.

But then again Malfoy did save her life. Maybe she did have feelings for him now. But to have them so suddenly was baffling to think about. Yet, she felt nothing towards him at that moment. There had to be something behind it. What happened to her?

‘’I — I don’t know what to say?’’ said Heather, ‘’A-About Malfoy and I?’’

‘’You don’t have to say anything darling. All I can say is that I’ve never seen Draco this crazy over a girl before,’’ said Daphne, looking over her shoulder, winking with one eye.

Heather gulped down her fear and disgust. Suddenly the amulet pulsed, sending shivers all over her body. A cold feeling of seediness dawned upon her. She suddenly felt rotten inside. She felt as if she wanted to do something bad, to someone.

They walked down the green sloping hills. The air was chilled, breezy and the clouds were quite dull. They walked by Hagrid’s hut and towards the black lake. They walked over the paddocks to see a small bay by the water. An old tree was located right by the stone pebbles. Heather squinted to see two figures in the distance.

‘’Who are they?’’ she asked.

Daphne didn’t answer, nor did Blaise and Heather began to distrust her new ’friends’ already. They walked towards the lake, the figures becoming more and more focused the closer they approached them.

Heather could hear their distant voices. One was a girl who had a high pitched, dreamy type of voice with hypnotic qualities and the other was a boy with a low bumbling tone. They were Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom.

‘’Alright losers!’’ piped up Blaise, wearing a domineering expression that said kill.

Heather stood behind them as a cold wave of regret and worry dawned upon her. She could already see what was coming.

Neville, who was standing in the water with a toad in his hands, looked up, startled as an expression of fear spread across his face. Luna stopped talking and looked at Blaise and Daphne, not noticing Heather standing behind them.

‘’Hello Blaise,’’ she said innocently. ‘’Hello Daphne, have you both come here to look for Fireworts? It’s the new season and they are usually expected to be found around lake lands at this time of ye -,’’

‘’No we are not here to look for Fireworts you dimwit!’’ snapped Daphne fiercely.

Heather was amazed by how Luna could keep such a straight face despite the hurtful jabs of Daphne being thrown at her.

‘’So what are you two sad people doing down here wasting away your Saturday morning playing about in the water?’’ said Blaise in a posh tone of voice.

‘’I - I could ask you the same question!’’ stammered Neville as he gathered up all of his courage.

Blaise rapidly drew his wand and fired a spell which made Neville fall into the water. Daphne laughed manically, clapping her hands together and hopping about the place like an amused child. She drew her wand and strutted towards Luna who just stood still, holding her net in her hands. Daphne sent a spell firing from the tip of her wand, speeding towards Luna and hitting her straight in the stomach. She fell to the ground in silence, grunting as she repressed the pain.

Neville splashed about in the water as he scurried for his wand.

‘’Hang on Luna!’’ he said, water spluttering from his mouth.

Blaise raised his wand yet again.

‘’Wingardium leviosa,’’ he said clearly.

Neville was suddenly pulled out of the water upside down and levitating in thin air. Blaise moved Neville closer to his face.

Daphne continued to flick her wand at Luna, using spells that pulled tightly on her hair, pinched her skin and slapped her across the face.

Heather watched, her chest breathing in and out like a panicked child watching a terrible scene. Her mind was fighting with itself. Her conscience was telling her to help Blaise and Daphne, her mind was telling her to help them but her heart told her to help Neville and Luna.

Blaise hung Neville upside down in a humiliating position. He was laughing his head off as the water dripped from Neville’s clothes.

‘’You really are a pathetic excuse for a wizard Longbottom, you truly are!’’ chuckled Blaise.

Neville looked as if he were about to explode with rage as his breathed through his nose. He looked over Blaise’s shoulder to see Heather a few feet away, looking confused and upset.

‘’Heather!’’ he squeaked. ‘’Give us a hand will you!’’

She looked at him blankly, then at Blaise who turned, grinning evilly from ear to ear. She didn’t know what she should do. Help her real friends or gain power from the false ones. She looked over at Luna who was straining under the pain of her hair being tugged at by Daphne.

‘’Loony Luna! Loony Luna! Loony Luna Lovegood’’ sang Daphne, horribly out of tune. ‘’Come on Heather, join in on the fresh meat!’’

Heather twisted her neck as a forceful push urged her to go forward and betray her true friends. She repressed her dark thoughts as the amulet pulsed beneath her blouse.

‘’Is this really what you do for fun?’’ bellowed Heather. ‘’It’s not Neville and Luna who are sad, it’s both of you! You’re both pathetic!’’

Daphne and Blaise immediately lowered their wands. Neville landed painfully on his head and Luna slowly picked herself up from the ground. Daphne looked as if she had just been stabbed in the back several times repeatedly. Blaise looked appalled as if Heather had just said something crudely offensive.

‘’Are you really who you think you are Ms. Potter?’’ said Daphne, walking slowly towards Heather. ‘’Or are you still that scrawny, four eyed git from Gryffindor? Have you really changed or are you messing with our heads?’’

‘’Whatever,’’ said Heather, rolling her eyes and turning her back.

‘’Don’t you DARE turn your back on me Heather Potter!’’ screeched Daphne.

Heather walked away with her hands in her pockets, trying to ignore Daphne.

‘’So that’s it, you’re just going to walk away like the weak little pansy you are!’’ spat Daphne. ‘’You’ll NEVER be a true Slytherin, NEVER! You are weak Potter, weak!’’

She stopped dead in her tracks, her heart and the amulet beating as one. Something inside her clicked something alien and ugly that was not of her own state of mind. The word ‘’weak’’ offended her beyond meaning and she was willing to prove herself.

‘’Nobody calls me weak,’’ said Heather in the voice of Alys, the Emerald Witch.

Blaise and Daphne looked at one another, confused by Heather’s sudden change of voice. She stood for a few moments, rage building up inside her before whipping her blonde hair around and marching towards the bay with her hand drawn. She strutted towards Neville who looked petrified of her demonic expression. Daphne grinned from ear to ear; delighted with what she thought she had created. Luna ran to Neville in an attempt to shield him but Blaise pushed her aside.

‘’Heather, please don’t!’’ cried Neville. ‘’We’re supposed to be mates!

Harry was falling, deeper, deeper, deeper . . .

***

The school year slowly melted out of winter and transcended into a bright, warm spring. Hagrid was out and about more frequently and the Whomping Willow was glad to be rid of ice and snow. Classes continued to take place, the fifth years continued to prepare for the O.W.L.S. and the seventh years did the same for their N.E.W.T.S. Slytherin were in the lead for the Quidditch house cup and Gryffindor were leading in academic points. Visits to Hogsmeade became more frequent and practical classes moved outdoors to practise.

It was a bright and sunny Saturday afternoon. Only wisps of clouds were scattered across the deep blue sky as the sun blasted its rays of heat over the land. It was a glorious spring day and almost everyone was outside. In fact, most of Hogwarts students were given permission to visit Hogsmeade due to the good weather.

The narrow village was scattered with groups of young people buying and window shopping goods from such providers as Gladrags Wizard Wear, Honeydukes Sweet Shop, Spintwitches Sporting Goods, The Magic Neep, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment and of course the popular Zonko’s Joke Shop.

But amongst the hustle and bustle of the shoppers, a dark figure stood inside an alleyway beside the Hogs Head, observing a group of Slytherin girls. Severus Snape’s lip curled as he stared at the blonde girl, Heather Potter. His dark lifeless eyes were fixed on her every move.

Heather’s hair was now thick, straight and big, hanging halfway down her back and over the front of her shoulders. Her eyes were now dark, mysterious and bleak. Her cheekbones are prominent, her nose be cute and her jaw, smooth and curved. Her cunning smile was deceiving, hypnotising, yet beautiful. Her neatly arranged skirt, sweater and blouse gave her the air of prim elegance and youth.

Snape’s pale face stood out in front of the dark background, his straight face sunken and expressionless. He loathed the mission Dumbledore had assigned him. Weeks of following her around were beginning to take its toll and he began to feel like there was no threat from her at all. His hummed lowly before sinking back into the shadows.

Heather looked over at the alley the second he disappeared and frowned as she could have sworn she seen somebody there. She quickly brushed it away and turned back to her Slytherin girl friends. They talked and gossiped in a circle for a few minutes before Heather finally decided that they should all go to The Three Broomsticks Inn for a drink.

Daphne was no longer the leader of the group, Heather was. Ever since the incident by the Black Lake with Luna and Neville she had gained instant respect from her Slytherin peers. But it was the first of many incidents over the past few weeks. She had undergone a radical transformation in both appearance and personality. The greater part of her was now Alys, the Emerald Witch.

She pushed open the wooden door of the pub and stepped inside to see that it was almost empty. Her eyes trailed around the room to see Ron and Hermione sitting together at the table by the bar. Hermione looked to see who was at the door and when she saw it was Heather she stood up and left along with Ron. On the way out they completely ignored Heather as if she weren’t there.

‘’There’s nobody here!’’ stated Millicent, a large beast of a girl.

‘’Not to worry, at least we have the entire place to ourselves,’’ said Daphne.

Heather walked up to the bar and ordered a round of Butterbeers. Her group of followers Daphne, Millicent, Tracey and Rebecca sat down at one of the tables. Madam Rosmerta placed six glasses of Butterbeer on the bar surface, forcing a smile, obviously not too keen of Slytherin students. She reached into her pocket to pay before a voice called Heather’s name from behind.

She turned around to see Draco Malfoy standing in his best suit looking rather dapper, yet unnervingly sleazy. Heather looked at Pansy Parkinson who was clinging to his side in a desperate attempt to try and make her jealous yet she had no need to do so. Heather was taken aback and didn’t know what to say.

‘’Err hello Malfoy,’’ said Heather.

‘’Please, call me Draco,’’ he said, his nose wrinkling as he smiled.

Malfoy reached into his pocket and placed a few coins on the bar to pay for Heather’s drinks. She immediately protested.

‘’You don’t have to -,’’

‘’But I want to,’’ he said, turning to her and staring into her eyes rather creepily.

Malfoy turned to the Madam Rosmerta and nodded. She sighed before placing all but one Butterbeer glass on a tray to carry over to the others. Heather looked over to the table to see them staring and giggling at her and Malfoy being together. When Rosmerta returned, Malfoy ordered a Firewhiskey before telling Pansy to leave them both alone. Pansy turned away, feeling the cold stab of heartbreak and jealously dawn upon her. She was the one who wanted Malfoy, she was the one who wanted his affection and she was the one who was always a girl in the first place.

Malfoy placed his hand on Heather’s back, gesturing her to sit with him in the corner. She looked over her shoulder nervously at the others to see Daphne giving a cheeky wink as if to say, ‘’you’re so in there!’’. They sat down together on a soft, cushiony couch. It took Heather a moment to realise that she was sitting in the snogging corner with Malfoy! She gulped.

‘’So I’ve been meaning to talk about us,’’ said Malfoy, ‘’about you and me.’’

Heather nearly choked on her drink, almost spluttering Butterbeer everywhere.

‘’Well there is no you and me so that must have been a weird thought process!’’ said Heather, wiping the drink from her lips.

‘’What, of course there is darling, what about that time a few weeks ago when we uh -,’’ said Malfoy, hinting at their apparent intimacy.

‘’I don’t want to think about that if you don’t mind!’’ said Heather, gulping down the Butterbeer as fast as she could. ‘’I wasn’t thinking straight. I nearly died I guess I — I just wasn’t in the correct state of mind.’’

Malfoy scoffed and shook his head.

‘’Is that what you were thinking when you and I were in the common room snog -,’’

‘’PLEASE!’’ snapped Heather, cringing with her eyes shut tight. ‘’Please stop going on about that!’’

Malfoy had an expression on his face as if he were trying to squeeze all of his anger down his throat. Heather gulped down the rest of the Butterbeer and slammed the glass down on the table.

‘’Look, you have to understand we have history going back nearly five years. We’re supposed to hate each other!’’ stated Heather.

‘’Yes but we can change that!’’ said Malfoy, trying to grip Heather’s hands. ‘’You are a different person now, I see that. You’re no longer Saint Perfect Potter, everyone knows that!’’

Heather was beginning to get a little scared of his behaviour. He seemed unable to control his lust and it was coming out in strange creepy ways.

‘’Malfoy I -,’’

‘’ — shh,’’ he hushed. ‘’Let me get us some more drinks.’’

‘’What — no — there’s no need to -,’’

He got up and walked to the bar, leaving Heather alone in the corner. She looked over to Daphne for help but all she seemed to be doing was laughing at her situation. She felt embarrassed and had a strong desire to get up and leave.

Malfoy stood at the bar with two fresh glasses of drink. He looked over his shoulder to see if anybody was looking at him. Madam Rosmerta was busying herself at the other end of the bar washing tankards. He reached into his pocket and took out a small vial of sparkling pink liquid with a label which read ‘’Amortentia: Love Potion’’. He looked anxious, nervous yet lustful at the same time as he unscrewed the cap and poured the entire vial into Heather’s glass. The Butterbeer began to bubble and fizz, eventually settling and producing a wonderful sweet scent. He then turned and sat down in the corner with Heather, placing the glasses on the table.

‘’I’ve got to go,’’ said Heather, about to stand.

‘’No, no it’s okay Heather, it’s okay!’’ said Malfoy. ‘’I get it, I know we can’t be together but we can at least be friends.’’

Heather looked at him suspiciously and then at the drinks. She sensed that something strange was going on and it wasn’t Malfoy’s weird behaviour. However she sat down again, eyeing him suspiciously. She reached out for the drink that belonged to Malfoy.

‘’Ah, t-that’s my drink there!’’ he said, quickly taking the glass away.

Heather picked up the other and looked into the liquid. It smelt different. Malfoy was shuffling in his seat anxiously waiting for her to drink. He began to get a little hot under the collar with anticipation. She looked into the glass and then noticed Malfoy’s face.

‘’You’re trying to drug me!’’ she said, wide eyed and angry.

Malfoy looked horrified as his plan fell apart before him.

‘’Love Potion! Why you sneaky little cree -,’’

In the face of panic, Malfoy rapidly produced his wand from beneath the table and gave it a swift flick. Heather’s head suddenly flung back and her hand was forced around the glass. She raised it shakily to her lips, trying with all her might to prevent it from entering her mouth. The Butterbeer slipped out of the glass and down her throat. She was choking and sputtering under the huge amounts she was forced to take in.

‘’Oi! What’s going on over there!’’ snapped Madam Rosmerta.

Malfoy panicked and attempted to cover up the situation by saying, ‘’everything is fine!’’ but Rosmerta wasn’t convinced as she approached them both angrily. Malfoy jumped to his feet, grabbed Heather by the other hand and pulled her towards the exit as she continued to gulp down the drink with her other hand. She dropped the glass on the floor, coughing and spluttering as they left the pub.

‘’Bloody kids,’’ muttered Rosmerta as she stood at the door, watching Malfoy drag Heather down the street.

Malfoy led her down an alleyway where nobody could see them. He turned to her and looked down into her eyes.

‘’How do you feel?’’ he asked.

Heather, feeling drunk and confused felt something flutter in her stomach. Her vision focused in on what she thought to be the most handsome boy she had ever seen. Suddenly, her knees began to shake as she curled her toe. She sighed in ecstacy as she stared into Malfoy’s piercing gaze.

Malfoy knew it had worked so he placed his hands on her waist and leaned in.

They were much to close for comfort.

***

Later that night, as the clock rolled over to three in the morning, something crept inside the girl’s dormitory. All of the girls were snoozing gently as the moon shone brightly through the window panes, creating rays of warm light. Heather was still smiling and the green amulet was glowing beneath her nightdress. She was in a moment of twilight, between sleep and awake.

She did not hear, but the door creaked open and two figures stepped through. One was dressed in long navy robes, had a long white beard and half moon spectacles perched upon his long crooked nose. Professor Dumbledore had an unusual fixed expression upon his old wise face. The other person was dressed in all black, had a pale, pasty face, long greasy hair and dark lifeless eyes. Professor Snape had a cold hard look on his face as he and the Headmaster walked quietly over to Heather’s bedside. They looked down over her.

‘’She looks happy,’’ whispered Dumbledore, astonished.

She could hear everything they were saying but she remained in blissful slumber as if it were a dream.

‘’Yes, effects of the curse no doubt,’’ said Snape in a low tone of voice.

‘’It is hard to believe that this young lady used to be Harry Potter -,’’ said Dumbledore sadly. ‘’, - I can no longer see the boy who lived - ’’

Snape curled his lip with resent.

‘’ — but in time, she will become a very great threat to everything we hold most dear,’’ said Dumbledore.

Heather continued to smile under the dreamy effects of Love Potion and sleep.

‘’Headmaster, I’ll do it,’’ said Snape.

‘’No Severus, this is something that an old wizard with plenty of hardship and life experience must deal with,’’ said Dumbledore softly.

They looked at each other for a moment. Dumbledore’s eyes were watery and his upper lip twitched. Snape’s mouth hung slightly open and his eyes were inky black. They then both then looked upon Heather who was still smiling warmly.

‘’There must be another way,’’ urged Snape, his voice breaking.

‘’I’m afraid this is just as hard for me as it is for you, Severus,’’ said Dumbledore shakily. ‘’You cannot deny that you have grown to care for the boy.’’

Snape didn’t reply, rather something flickered in his eye as if Dumbledore had just tugged on something he held very close to his heart. The Headmaster nodded at Snape’s apparent reaction of affection and then turned back to look at Heather. His breathing trembled as he reached into his robes and produced his wand, his hand shaking.

‘’Be brave Harry, be brave.’’


End of Part IV

Written by Lily Florette  ©

All characters and settings are the property of J.K. Rowling  ©

Don't forget to post your thoughts and comments!

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What do you mean sir? :)

What do you mean sir? :)

Lily Florette

wonderful story

absolutely breath taking. very well written so far, i hope lily surprises us yet again with another excellent tale

Malfoy

I’m surprised he hasn’t pushed her for sex yet it seems out of character for him,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna