Dark Night of the Soul

Printer-friendly version

She sat on the steps just upstream of the bridge. Two hours now, as the Ouse roiled and surged round the old stone and debris span in the eddies. Soon, perhaps, the flood markers in the pub downstream would need another notch, and the gardens to her right would be submerged. Winter rains, winter floods, who gave a shit, really? All part of a world she had tried to engage with, that had spurned every attempt she had made to join. The light was fading slowly on a miserably grey and washed out February afternoon, and as it went, so would she. There was only so much strength given to a person, she thought, and when that was gone, so were they.

Give it a little longer and the tourists would have pissed off from their rounds of the walls, the working-day traffic would have eased, and she would be able to slip away, slip in, unseen. She checked her handbag for the twentieth time and they were still there, the Valium pills she had managed to filch from her mother during that last abortive attempt at reconciliation.

“You know you can come home any time, Darren?”

“It’s not Darren. Mum, it’s Susie”

“I know what I christened my child, so don’t you dare tell me otherwise!”

“A fucking statutory declaration makes it otherwise!”

“Don’t you swear at me, I am your mother!”

And so on, and on, as it always had gone. She looked at the blister packs and counted them. Get enough of a buzz on to make it easy, get into the water before it got too effective. Let the shit and the cold do the rest. She wondered, just for a moment, why she had chosen such a popular spot, but that was it, the place was popular because it was lovely, and if she had to die, and oh yes indeed she had to, then it would be in a place she wanted to be worth a last sight.

Dying. Your life flashing across your mind’s eye as it happened, no, she didn’t need that. She had every moment etched into her soul like a scar, every cutting word, every instant of rejection, and especially Carol’s words the evening before.

“And why should I stay? Fuck me, if I wanted a fucking man I’d have gone for a real one, and you aren’t anything like, yeah? But I don’t want cock, never have, and why I ended up with such a dick, I don’t know. You need to get your fucking head round this: you are not a woman, you never have been, you never fucking will be, and why I ever took up with you, God alone fucking knows, so FUCK OFF AND DIE, GOT THAT?”

It was almost funny, in hindsight. Carol had fancied her because she was so obviously butch, and everything had gone well, and it was, for once, As Things Should Be, right up to the point where things could not be missed and…

The job. So she was ’a valued member of the team’, yeah, right. Right up to the point where a customer asked outright why her hands were so big. Then, all of a sudden, she was no longer ‘customer-facing’. It never ended. The hormones had worked some magic, but the list was too long, and they wanted to send her to London, to Hammersmith, and how the hell was she to finance regular trips like that? The train fares alone would leave her unable to eat in York, never mind a sandwich in bloody London. No, the Ouse was there, and the light was finally going. She popped out a pill.

There was a splash upstream, and a low cry, almost a gasp, and she started up. It was too early in the year for the fish that would leap in the Summer she had no intention of enduring. What the hell was it? She stuffed the pills back into her handbag and staggered to her feet, her backside numb from sitting so long on the cold concrete. There were lights in one of the boathouses nearby, but sod them. She ticked off upstream in her best shoes; live tranny, die young, leave a bloody ugly corpse.

He was just out from the bank, arms straight up, clinging to a branch, in suit and tie, and were those bloody medals the water was rippling over? Shit, what was he thinking, had he slipped? She tore off her good shoes and felt the mud ooze through the material of her tights as she edged down the bank. No steps here, nothing so fucking easy, the story of her life in one snapshot.

His face was just visible in the fading light, and he looked terrified. She eased herself down the bank, struggling to keep her footing. Shit, he must be in his seventies at least, what was he doing?

The answer came to her immediately. The same thing as her, of course, and probably for reasons that were superficially different but, in the end, exactly the bloody same. A shitty world, the end of strength.

“Give me your hand”

She had found a bush to cling to that seemed a little stronger than most, as he hung from a branch of a stunted tree, the water up to the second button of the clean white shirt he was wearing.

“Give me your fucking hand, you sod!”

All of a sudden he let go with his right hand and took hers, and the jerk took away her footing, and for an eternity she was hanging in the water with him, until her feet found the slope of the submerged embankment and she fought her way upright once more, the cold of the water slicing into her like a spray of razor blades. Three points of contact…she scrambled for height, and slowly, slowly, she dragged him out as she did herself. The wind flayed her, and she could hardly feel her feet, so what it must be like for him, she didn’t want to know.

He stank, that was her first thought, stank of alcohol, stank of gin, actually. He was in a grey suit, as far as she could tell given the failing light, and yes, that was a row of medals on his chest.

“You are fucking pissed, you bastard! Why are you out by the river in poxy February if you can’t walk straight?”

There was something in his expression that cut her more than the wind, and it was shame. “Shit, sorry, you…”

That was when her mouth ran away from her, like a wilful puppy. “Look, if, right, if you were, you know, doing…fuck, so was I. There’s only so much crap anyone can take, and my life…”

She stopped, embarrassed, and the old man looked hard at her, the shivering starting to take over his whole body.

“What fucking life? I just wish…I just wish I had the guts to do it properly. Bugger, I’m cold!”

“There’s lights in the boat club. Come on, you old bastard, I am freezing”

There were lights, and there were men working on a boat, and they had warm clothes to wrap them in, and a telephone, and she was soon with Gerald, for that was his name, in an ambulance rushing them on blues and twos to the hospital, which was, rather fortunately, not too far past the Minster. They were both in thermal blankets, and the crew were kind enough to leave them in peace.

“Why, Gerald?”

“You wouldn’t understand, lass”

“Susie. Try me”

He stared at her, really stared. “And what was your name?”

Oh, fuck, she thought, and sighed. “Darren, but that’s not who I am, not who I was supposed to be, so if it causes you any problems I can get out here and you can piss off on your own, OK?”

He looked away. “Sorry. I didn’t mean it that way, aye?”

“OK…Gerald. As I said, try me”

That was an education. He told her a story, about things she thought she knew, about death and sacrifice…

“We got off OK, aye, none of the horrors the other blokes had, and we got off the beach after just a bit of hate, and that was fine, but then it started, and it was weeks and weeks, lass, and each day a mate went, sometimes more, and you kids….sorry, but please God you never have to be somewhere like that. And…and we had a dinner today, a regimental thing, so I got the gongs out, and I sat with the young’uns, and I thought, why am I here, and not Bill, and Ted, and Wilf, and all the other poor bastards I put in a hole outside that fucking airfield, the boys I heard burning, and I knew it was because I was a coward, and I sat there while they sang my praises, and I thought of the real heroes and felt these on my jacket…and I felt so bloody worthless, aye? Then, I got in the water, and it was so bloody cold, and I was so scared, and that’s me, isn’t it? Too scared to get killed, too cowardly to sort it out”

The eyes were watery and faded, but the fear still lived there, the doubt, the guilt. How could someone who had done such things feel such emotions?

“Bollocks. You might not know what you did but if you hadn’t…fuck, I wouldn’t be here, would I? Dear old Adolf didn’t have a soft spot for perverts, did he?”

There was a moment, just then, when something seemed to pass between them, and she saw, finally, the eyes of the man who had fought from Ouistreham to Flensburg, and carried the guilt of his survival untreated, unsupported, for so many decades.

“Lass…Susie…look, can we make a deal?”

“Eh?”

“Look, this might sound a bit daft…we used to do a thing called piling, stacking our rifles, aye? Trick is, it needs three, two fall over. Here’s my offer, aye? You and me, we lean on each other”

“You said two fall over”

“They do, but I have mates in Normandy. They’ve been there fifty years. More than enough for a bit of mutual support, aye?

“What are you asking…offering, Gerald?”

“Ah bugger it, lass, I am far too old for that, so don’t worry. Just a simple thing: we agree to keep an eye on each other, stop us doing owt daft when the days are short and the ghosts are calling”

“You offer that to me? A tranny, a pervert?”

One eyebrow rose. “No, to the young lady who just saved my life. Now, what do you think the food will be like at this hospital? Just for the future, it’s white, two sugars, OK?”

The last notes faded as the bugler lowered his instrument, and the coffin was lowered into the stark slot in the ground. Her husband held her close, a tissue ready for the tears that had fallen in waves as each surge of emotion had followed the brutal stages of Gerald’s funeral. She ran her hands over the rows of medals that covered her right breast. Memories…

A February evening, and a meeting in the cold and dark. Two lives saved.

up
174 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Two lives saved."

Yes, two lives saved. Wow. Simply. ... wow.

DogSig.png

A real tear jerker

a good two hanky job, Thankyou,
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth

Writing

I wrote this in an hour. In one sitting. It is based on an incident in real life where I pulled an old man from the same point, but left him to go with the ambulance staff. The story grew in my mind, and then there was a logical mix of reality, my own life, and 'what if?'

Two

Andrea Lena's picture

There was a moment, just then, when something seemed to pass between them, and she saw, finally, the eyes of the man who had fought from Ouistreham to Flensburg, and carried the guilt of his survival untreated, unsupported, for so many decades.

Both devastated by guilt and shame for surviving; one rescued from death and the other broken in two by her own birth. United...gladly. What a powerful story. Thank you, Steph.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I Don't Know How You Do It

Another fantastic story - you've got 2 serials underway and you just pop this one out in an hour? Thank you for all your creative gifts to we readers here at BCTS.

Like I said

You have the words. Sometimes like a knife, sometimes like a hug.

I could picture it all.

Susie

Been there.

Been there,

St lawrence river, Canada/USA border, Winter 1962. Strangely I didn't spend any time contemplating it or thinking about it. Just finished coiling up the heaving lines for the next section, standing by the stern rail when the idea came to me again as it had done several times before. I just stood on the rails and let my self topple over the stern into the broken ice and pitch black water.

It just seemed so-oo easy and the right thing to do.

When the cold hit me I screamed and suddenly realised I was terrified. Fortunately the escort tug had seen me 'fall' and immediately despatched their emergency boat to pick me up from amidst the ice flows.
They returned me back to the ship at the next lock. Fortunately nobody realised it was a botched suicide and the only outcome was a suspicion from the USA border patrol that I had tried to jump ship. When it was pointed out that the ship had just visited, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto, Duluth, Boston, New York and Philadelphia in the preceding two months, that theory was quickly scotched. Eventually I confessed to the old man who made me feel like a complete shit by expressing his disappointment after all he had done for me, (And he had done a hell of a lot!)

Worst of all was the realisation that I was a coward, I didn't have the guts to go through with it. I managed the jump but couldn't bring myself to simply let go and drown.

Steph your story penetrates deep into the reasons why suicides do it and they are pretty much the same for all of us. The processes and methods though, vary enormously.

A successful suicide is a call for help that goes unanswered.

Good story Steph.

XZXX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Go Ahead. Punch Me In The Guts

joannebarbarella's picture

Bloody Hell. Deepest despair meets survivor guilt and out comes something shiny. Mine's Chinese...no milk, no sugar.

You really are something else, Steph,

Joanne

I don't know what to say

The next to last paragraph pulled an exclamation from me that is still surprising.

Excellent work. I will have to think on this one for a while...

Janice

Just... Wow....

I don't have the words. I couldn't even breathe.

Thank you

Battery.jpg

Thank you all

I won't use the words 'light relief', but with all the plot strands of TLTL and the formalism of CWR, well...York is a lovely city, with a gorgeous Minster (cathedral) and a nasty, flood-prone river, the Ouse. The King's Arms pub carries a flood marker in the bar for each year's submersion, and that doesn't mean a damp floor but more than six feet of water in the bar.

http://www.yorkshirewalks.org/diary06/yorkwall/5097a.jpg
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/10/08/100879_87690814.jpg Where Susie was sitting
http://www.pictures-of-york.com/lendal-bridge/lendalbridge-f...
http://images.travelpod.com/users/stevea/europe-2007.1192371... On the right, the trees that Gerald clung to.

Cyclist or is it Steph?

So much depth in so few words - 1938? How do you do it in such concentrated form. The comment by Beverly speaks volumes about the absolute accuracy of the despair that leads to the attempt that, absent the good samaritans, would mean the bitter end. Excellent work Steph.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Partly...

I wanted to try and get a sense of the 'snapshots' of life that pass over the mind's eye with stress and despair. I was hoping to give enough of a backstory to make the tale clear, but without loading it down too much. Short and not-so-sweet, in other words. Gratified it worked for you.

This I enjoyed.

Made my eyes water it did. Not that I can show it, as my boy was in the room playing with his new tablet. Still, very nice.

Thank you

I felt it worked for me, so am glad it did for others.

Gem of a story

Nuf sed. Can't see to type anyway. Kbd all blurry.

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

You have a very powerful way

You have a very powerful way with words. Every time you write I am right there with these people, that's what they are not characters on a page but real human beings. This one has me emotional for many reasons but I feel compelled to say thank you.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Thank you

As said, this one just poured out. I try my best to make people 'real' rather than just cardboard cut-outs, place-holders. That was easy in this one, because there were, in truth, only two to write. I am re-reading 'Ride' at the moment, and it is a bit like slipping into a crowd of old friends.

Thank you

As said, this one just poured out. I try my best to make people 'real' rather than just cardboard cut-outs, place-holders. That was easy in this one, because there were, in truth, only two to write. I am re-reading 'Ride' at the moment, and it is a bit like slipping into a crowd of old friends.

This is why...

This is why I keep reading here. Loads of junk (granted, much of it entertaining), a little bit of really good stuff... and an occasional bright shining gem like this one. Please, keep writing!

Susana Quemada

Thank you

If you read the comments above, you will see how this story arrived fully-formed. If it spoke clearly to you, I am happy.

Brings a shiver...

A shiver up my spine, and a hope to my heart.

*hugs*
Jenna

New comments

On older stories always welcome. Thank you

A revisit....

Andrea Lena's picture

“What are you asking…offering, Gerald?”

“Ah bugger it, lass, I am far too old for that, so don’t worry. Just a simple thing: we agree to keep an eye on each other, stop us doing owt daft when the days are short and the ghosts are calling”

“You offer that to me? A tranny, a pervert?”

One eyebrow rose. “No, to the young lady who just saved my life. Now, what do you think the food will be like at this hospital? Just for the future, it’s white, two sugars, OK?” Just wow!!!!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Whose life is it?

Rhona McCloud's picture

A life that seems at best irrelevant can be all that stands between the devil and the deep blue sea for someone else. I just came to this short for the first time from the story told from Gerald's viewpoint in A Longer War, Ch 36. I really look forward to buying your Amazon version of that so please keep them coming as well as your diversions like this.

Rhona McCloud

Sorry to have taken so long to get round to this!

I thought I had read all your one-offs, and then discovered this one, dated 2012, and it seemed familiar, even to the names of the characters. I then went back to "A longer War", and part 39, I discovered, confirmed my suspicions -- the same event from the other participant's point of view. Wonderful! and four years later! No, I am not disappointed, but I am intrigued. When, two years later you started Longer War, had you always intended to incorporate Susie's rescue of Gerald? or did that arrive nearer to part 39, another two years down the track?
On second thoughts, perhaps I really don't need to know the answer, I've always enjoyed the two (or even more) viewpoints of the same events, especially when so well written.
Best wishes
Dave
PS, now to go through the other one-offs I thought I'd read, just in case I have missed another of your gems.

Timeline

I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read the stories... but in essence, pulling an old soldier from that river was something I did in real life, at that spot, in the late 70s. I was having a really crap day, and the story (DNOTS) came to me and then from me in one burst. The anniversary of That Day then came along, and I looked at Gerald, and thought "His story needs telling" and, of course, that scene was always going to be there.

For those who haven't read the novel, this may be a spoiler, so read something else rather than this next bit.

Gerald's story was always going to be Job. I had a superb comment on Amazon USA a couple of months ago that nailed his character: a good man, determined to be true to himself, whatever was thrown at him. I simply wanted to write someone with faults and failings but as deep a soul as I could manage.

Powerful

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Steph, thank you for flagging this story as one of your favorite shorts. It is moving, realistic, and very well written. And you don’t even write short stories, mostly!

Emma

Thank you

I have already posted in the comments above where it came from, and as you say, my shorts are rare (or something like that). so of course it turned into a novel.

It's a by-product of my writing process, where I build a character first and then plot a story. I end up caring for the character, and feeling obliged to write the rest. Julia Philips of this site did me a huge favour in formatting 'A Longer War', but when I amended some errors, it ruined a lot of her work.