Jem...Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Jem…Chapter 22

Chapter 22

*Michael………….

Progress…I’ve definitely made some progress.

Today’s Friday and I had showed up for my classes today and yesterday. With my schedule set I have school on Monday mornings until lunch, and all day on Thursday and well today. And just like yesterday I pulled into Adam’s parking spot extra early just to piss him off.

But...

Thursday he or someone keyed my car. Thursday night him and his flock of sheeple were down at this place called The Eagle which is dance club meets country club and is a place were Adam and his crowd seem to go to hang out at. A little patience and keeping and eye out for the parking lot kid… and a good sharp combat knife and…

And this morning...

Oh it was funny as shit to see Adam’s peons getting off the bus. Oh not out of his majesties car, he drives a two seater Saab thingy and he’s much too cool to pack people into his precious car.

He was also pretty predictable in the other spot he chose to park at. The same front row closest to the building but at the far end of it just to be “exclusive.” And away from me. I was rewarded by the scream his girlfriend had made and the yells he had made himself when they had gotten out of the car and there was for the strangest reason….

A small minefield of dog crap all over that one parking spot.

And all over her expensive shoes, and his expensive shoes…Oap!

Adam was wearing sandals this morning.

And when he noticed “it”…it seems this little piggy went woof, woof, woof all the way to the closest garbage can.

I set up my toy. It’s just a sticker for my windshield saying “Web camera onboard vehicle.” I make a show of putting one in the front window, and the rear window and then play with the dash…really just setting the radio and then taking out my smart phone look at it, and then at outside the car. Then just put my phone away.

Hey like I said I’m a Veronica Mars fan. Sassy, hot little Nancy Drew with a taser and all that attitude she’s smart too and I so have a thing with smart girls. There are no cameras; they just think that they are.

Adam and his girlfriend are late for classes by two whole periods and they are not amused all through honors English.

Huh…funny that?

Its lots of fun when you’re being messed with huh Adam.

Maybe me sniffing the air a few times was a bit much.

Words getting around the staff too after my talk with the guidance councillor. She looked like I goosed her when I smiled and gave her this head nod with a coffee in hand.

Retaliation by idiot came just a few minutes later. I’ve done this twice before, helped out Dad with some kids that were selling some pretty heavy drugs in a place that never seen that stuff before and My cousin Amy with a bullying problem like this but in more of an other side of the tracks way.

Either way the goons of a school have their blind spots to jump people.

I’m not sure what the guy’s name is but he’s one of the kind of outer edge of Adam’s circle of hangers on and he’s a big guy, on one of the sports teams I’d guess and by his bulk I’m going to say football or wrestling.

He comes in fast and gives me a shoulder body block to put me into the concrete wall. It’s a good start, it stuns most people. It’s also common as hell. How many times do guys like him toss people into a wall or a locker? Yeah that move…Hockey player.

Stealthy he’s not.

I stop, and pivot out of the way of him and he hits the wall himself, it pisses him off and he gets ready to swing at me and I step in and a hard body shot right into his bread basket. “Don’t puke on me.” I hold him up. “Hey, not the best idea dude, I’m a professional fighter, you can even Google me. Look, you’re too big, hockey player huh?”

He nodded.

“Okay, look Adam and his crowd are not really going to accept you into their group. The girls there want cash and you don’t have it. Or they want really good looks and dude you’re not a pig but you’ll never pass in that coked up fantasy of theirs. All they’re using you for is muscle and to make fun of when you’re not around. Just tell Adam to come and fight his own battles and you concentrate on getting into university because there you’ve got one thing working for you.”

He was sucking air desperately. These guys really, even the rough sports guys have never been in a real fight and gotten hit where someone knows how to hurt you.

“Okay, look whatever your name is. Rich boys and rich girls are a dime a dozen. All just phoney little assholes and there’s no shortage. Actually the rotten prick levels pretty high out there, so don’t add to it. Just be a decent guy, treat people right and you’ll end up better than the trash you’re hanging with now.”

I pat his cheek a few times, well light slaps.

“Oh, and this is me being really nice. Next time I’ll actually fuck you up for life.”

I’d never do that. You study martial arts and act like a dick and it gets around. Plus you’re really, really taught not to. A lot of Dojo’s won’t take you as a higher belt or to a higher belt without talking to your old teachers. To check out your character. I’d never really cut loose unless I had to.

But he don’t know that.

And word did get around.

Its funny how many people were Googling me in the school by lunchtime. Staring at me. Adam looked like he was going to literally have an attack of some kind there with his “posse.” There was this vein in his head that was pulsing.

I actually go over and sit with the kids that look like the get some of the rough treatment too and aren’t so popular.

It freaks them out. I smile. “Guys chill, I just want to have lunch and not get too exposed to the fake.”

They still gave me the wolf in sheep’s clothing look. I eat lunch with them and take out my tablet and watch the latest Naruto episodes that I missed. Yeah I like anime, and it’s useful to actually cultivate some kind of geek-aptitude. They’re less wary of me by the end of lunch and the preppy popular kids just have this look like they can’t get why I’d sit with these guys.

Given open friendship and respect the people that don’t fit in with the regular crowds of sheeple can be just amazing people to get to know.

The rest of the day was pretty good, decent classes and there’s some teachers that look at me like they heard the rumors and had something to be afraid of.

But you just gotta love staff gossip.

But two as far as I could tell were happy to have me there in their classes. And it’s started with them too.

Biology, Adam’s girlfriend was texting away and talking through the class. And the teacher reached down and took her phone. “You’ll get it back after class.”

She looked like that had never happened to her in her life. She looked ready to scream.

I sniffed the air.

Oh if looks could kill I’d have been a dead man.

After classes I’m followed by Adam and his crew well those that didn’t have to take the bus and like I said. I’ve been through this before, they try to herd me into a place where they can cut me off and try to gang up on me.

My dad’s an RCMP officer. He taught me how to drive like a cop. Why? Because people go after a cops family all the time especially if you cross nasty people.

Well Adam’s nasty all right but he doesn’t know shit. I lose him pretty easily in the traffic up around the malls.

Ha.

The cops followed me home to Uncle Remy’s place. I get out and they pull up and they walk up and are looking at my stickers. “You got cameras in your car.”

“Is there a problem officers?” I look at them.

“I said…” Dad walks out of the house. And he stops. Looks at Dad, Dad looks at him.

“Your son’s got cameras in his car?”

Dad looks at him hard. “My idea, it’s a classic car after all. It’s not illegal.”

“You sure? I’ve never heard of…” He stops again as Dad’s pointing to his dash. “Sure you have. That all guys?”

“Uhm…yeah.”

“Good, have a safe night. I’ll Be Seeing You.” Yeah there was that implied tone there like he would be seeing them again.

They left really fast.

…………………………………… It was a really good show and everything. I showed up early to see Jem or Angel and just couldn’t really help it. Honestly, I haven’t been able to get Angel out of my head since I saw her playing in the mall.

Skinny, actually not the perfect body that most guys are into, but still hot in that waif way, actually she has waif down really good. Her face though, just this look she has this more than likely blonde naturally but she’s not dippy she’s shy, semi-serious but can cut back and have fun but she’s smart, like life smart, music smart, technically smart and she’s got this huge heart.

I…I am not as cool around her as everyone gets to see. I’m not sure how many times I wiped my hands off on my jeans during the gig tonight.

And there’s more too.

I can read people really good but I can’t get a bead on her. I actually like that in a way because this might sound well like BS but…people rarely surprise me anymore. Angel is…

Then those eyes of hers she’s got these amazing eyes that would give a guy a boner like a construction girder.

And she’s got this sweet smile that can just melt steel.

Honestly she has this magnetic pull. Smart, talented, soulful and sweet…to me sweet is just as sexy as smart. There’s not a lot of sweet girls out there anymore.

………………………………………………………. I’m actually grinning like an idiot even though I’m still nerved up from almost kissing Angel. God I really wanted to stay and to kiss her. But if I stayed and did I wouldn’t have the chance to do the things I need to get started tonight.

I’d have really like to have stayed but I need to get my things and then sneak on foot to the school while it’s really late and the start of the weekend and actually set up my mini cameras up and the microphones and hook them into the school.

Oh yes this is really illegal and I’m getting all dolled up in break and enter gear. It’s really, really get me in shit send me to jail stuff if I’m caught. I’m going to have to put them all over the place and when I get stuff on Adam and the others that’s usable.

It’s going up online.

You Tube, Anti-bullying sites.

Adam and his cronies and the staff that are towing the line of the family’s bullshit are going to get charged in the court of public opinion.

It’ll take most of the weekend to get even started but yeah…

The real trick is to get Adam or them to say something to clear Jason’s name.

My first microphone though is going up in the guidance office. I don’t like her, just how many kids has she steered out of the way of Adam and his family?

The office will be next and the social elite bathrooms…yeah, there’s actually bathrooms that in this unwritten law; you can only use if you’re a certain level of being “Cool”.

Until I can make sure that Jason’s free and clear though I’m going to have to be picky about what goes up. As soon as they go up they’ll turn the place inside out to find everything.

I might have to compile a collection of choice douche-baggery before I release it.

Okay, time to get started it’s going to be a long night.

………………………………………….It’s close to Saturday morning by the time I’m almost to Uncle Remy’s house. There’s busted glass everywhere, and my car is a burnt out hulk…and so is the front steps.

They torched both apparently. Molotov cocktails.

The fire trucks are there and the local cops but also several members of the RCMP local detachment.

I take another way into the house and the property.

Oh Angel…this is going to break her heart.

I loved the car but it’s just a car.

I look at dad when I come out of the house in track pants and with a coffee. He looks at me and I look at him and there’s this thing…

We nod to each other.

Oh, yeah it’s so on.

up
314 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Adam

It sounds as though Mike setting the covert surveillance was a good idea - after all, if you can't 'get' Adam strictly within the law...
...although of course such surveillance would only be admissible in the court of public opinion: due to the methods of obtaining it, I doubt it would be admissible in a court of law.

It sounds as though Mike's deliberately goading Adam in the hope he'll do something stupid and make a mistake - like bragging about his exploits somewhere he thinks is safe, but is covered by one of Mike's mics :)

But once Adam's eventually dealt with, there's going to be the small matter of the shock he'll experience if/when he finds out Angel's other secret identity...

But in the meantime, the girls probably have more pressing issues than Adam's campaign of violence - namely outcompeting Skummer's band every which way they can - gigs (quantity), gigs (attendance), gigs (tips), YouTube hits, music downloads, possibly eventually even demo CD sales...

...which would make life interesting if a representative of, say, a small independent record label (very unlikely to be a rep of a major label!) discovered the group... :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Mike's pretty sure that it still won't be easy to

get the goods on Adam, since him and his family have been at it awhile. But getting information about all the misdoings of the entire clique. That'll set the fox in the henhouse. He couldn't care less about the car but the house, Uncle Remy...

Meanwhile Angel and the girls will likely have their hands full with the band and all that stuff plus dealing with Skummer and company.

*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

MAFIA

They totally behave like Mafia. Nobody that even tries to appear legal would pull shit like this. I start to suspect Adam's family is involved in more illegal stuff than just being absolute rulers of a town somewhere in nowhere.
This isn't subtle. You don't send local policemen to pester the son of a fed. It's like they don't care if it is known what they do. I so can't wait to see the revenge.

thank you for writing this captivating story,
*huggs*
Beyogi

Very Mafia like.

The Marshall'ss are a lot like that with their connections in the community. They own so many businesses they provide so many jobs and in doing so tell them who to, and what to vote for or lose you job...that controls the politics a lot and has locally for a long time and a whole lot of local civil service jobs are filled with people they like.

That means the have huge pull with grants, and permits and licenses as well as ties to the fire and health inspectors.

Plus they have a lot of other investments and companies all over the province too.
Yeah the cops harrassing Mike wasn't smart at all.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Unexpected but appreciated :-)

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Huh. Not so much smooth as had to be somewhere else and couldn't trust himself to go if he kissed her (which is kind of sweet). Makes you wonder how many people who look like they have it all together but are really just the same as the rest of us? Y'know, I think I like Mike all the more for that.

In terms of the cameras, I'm guessing after the incident at Angel's dad's house there is even the chance that someone might say something that links them to the arson not just something that clears Jason. How Mike reacts to this at school I feel is going to be key, because Adam is obviously going to try and reclaim his car parking space and throw his weight around. If Mike looks like he's buckling under the pressure those few teachers daring to go against Adam will prolly go back to towing the line. Who would ever think one individual would make so much difference at school? I do think this could backfire for Adam though if it brings the RCMP into play. His family might have the local cops in their pockets but I doubt they have the RCMP, particularly given Mike's dad is one of their own.

And yeah, this is so going to break Angel's heart when she hears. :-(

Thanks for an unexpected chapter of Jem, Bailey.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Mike is not looking forward to Angel finding out

about the firebomb attack at the house. He's definitely going to be going after them a lot harder now but that'll actually depend though on how Angel will take it. upset ad concerned will be one thing but really, really deeply hurt by this...that might set Mike off a little more than usual.
The RCMP will definitely be taking a look about what's going on but as to how things go and the roles they'll play that'll be something else entirely.
looks like I'll have to Write Mike in a little more often to keep the things going on even between him and the girls.

Thanks Jemima:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I must have missed something

We've seen Mike find out that Angel knows his Uncle Remy, and they're on good terms. But as far as I know, Mike hasn't realized who Angel is and just how close she is to Uncle Remy and that situation. I'm not sure why he'd think this'd break her heart beyond concern for a good friend.

Whew. Bailey's back

I don't know if I'm stepping out of line here, but I hope you had yourself a nice break over the holidays? At least I hope it was only that you took a little breather, and not weathering out a sh*t storm. Either way, I am glad you are back here.

Probably I don't say this too much, but I think your writing is awesome, and for this entirely selfish reason I am glad your posting here again. But, never the less that, I also hope you're doing well, are safe and sound, you had me a little worried. Again this selfishness I guess, although I think of the participants in this story website all a little as family, and wish them all long and happy lifes. It's the age mostly, we all get more sentimental over the years, no? :)

Happy thoughts,
Jo-Anne

BTW: Jem, is one of my most favoured of your writings, the others are not to sneeze at, but well.. Just saying.

Thanks so much Jo-Anne:)

the kind words, the care and support are really appreciated. I'm doing better but still just taking it easy, it's just a case of taking some time off. I'm taking my time with things still but this was something that needed to get out so the story could go on more evenly.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Bite

This story has just enough of everything to make it perfect. Angst, love, sweetness, and good old fashion bite. It's like a perfectly seasoned meal with the mix of different spices contributing absolutely in the right proportions.

I don't know about up north, but using Molotov's stateside automatically ramps up things since they are considered explosive devices. It gets very serious, very fast since 911. At the very least I would expect Mike's Dad unofficial investigation might get the stamp of approval.

So nice to see a new story from you. If this means you're back, good. It it means this was just that one story that you simply had to get out of your system, but you're still more or less still resting, that's good too!
Big Hugs
Grover

I like your thinking grover

a very 'take no prisoners' comment that imho covers almost all.

The gloves are off and if Mike were Bugs it would be: 'Of course you know, it means war!'

I am glad Bailey chose this of all his stories to write as this is my favorite at the mo and Angel kinda deserves it too.

I cannot wait when Mike finds out about Angel's alter ego.

A very good point about the 9/11 thing though. I do not know about Canada but in the States, a case can be made that Adam and his cronies is a terrorist cell. Well the town is certainly terrorized of him and if this act of destruction can be traced back to him he is in for some serious jail time and I know the RCMP does not give a Rattus norvegicus's ass about who he is.

Kim

Thanks for liking this as the first thing I brought back Kim.

You're right about the RCMP thing and they actually have a policy of transfers to keep officers from making favorites in an area and they almost never allow an RCMP officer to serve in their hometowns so they might know who Adams family is but they won't care about the influence they have.
Actually they likely have lots of reasons they'd suspect the family of but without evidence they can only do so much.

Mike's reaction to Angel...I have no idea.
Only that'll be very interesting.

Thanks Kim:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

We don't quite have the heavy agencies

you folks south of us have but the firebombing gets primarily handed off to the RCMP they're like our FBI amongst other things. But the Police and fire departments also get involved and in Ontario the provincial police.

You're right, about the Mountie thing and this hit might just have them putting their heads together with Mike's Dad.

Just taking my time with the writing.
But Kinda back...
Thanks Grover.
*Big Hugs Back.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Thanks Dorothy:)

I really appreciate the support hon:)
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Supporter of Team Dorothy.

Bailey Summers

Just thinking here...

looking back at the post prior to this, those CDs being thrown out to the crowd, I wonder what percent of the music was covers, not original songs, and again what are the chances that Summer’s band is looking at litigation for not having permission to release or redistribute?

If the companies get notice there'll be

charges pending in fines and back fees but in the case of CD's they'll only get in trouble if they're making money from the CD's directly. Most bands like this are ignored by those companies about using unpaid covers until the band is making money. It's held back as a signing leverage in a lot of cases....sign or we go to court.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Welcome back

Nice to see you writing again, Bailey, and I hope it means that things in your life are going better! That it was this story you came back with is just a nice bonus.

Thanks Miranda:)

Still going to take it easy but I'm going to try. it's still busy and there's only so long still I can sit in front of a keyboard ad screen since I do it all the time at work:)
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Wow Bailey

That run of seven comments was a nice job of responding to your readers.

Thanks for the new chapter,

Thanks for the new chapter, I've missed tou stories but this chapter was worth the wait. The was a great chapter, glad to see this from Mike's perspective especially what he's been up to at school.

Love how how he deals with muscle lol. I especially love his retaliation for his car being keyed. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does as payment for his burnt out car.

Looking forward to more, thanks Bailey.

Big missed you hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Thank you Godmother;)

I thought you'd like ome of Mike's creativity and I'm sure the follow up will be interesting too:) Thanks for the Missed Me Hugs, they mean a lot girl:)
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
The Godfather;)
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I like all your stories Bailey.

This one especially.

It's nice to be reminded where it all began and how Mike and his Dad got involved.

Jason to Jem to Angel.

Good to see you right into it Mate, great chapter.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Thanks Rita:)

There needed some balance in he story to let people know what's going on in other parts of the story and how that's progressing.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

its on

these small timers just poked the wrong bear.
interesting chapter, can;t wait for more.
thanks

Thanks Lonewolf:)

I'm glad that you liked this one. Mike's not going to take the firebombing well,not so much the car but they threatened family.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

confused

I found this chapter to be a little on the confusing side simply because it was alot of internal monolog but all together after i read it the chapter made sence. Thank s for putting the time and effort into entertaining all of us.

Hugs, Lizzy

kitsune.jpg

Thanks Lizzie:)

I'm really glad that things made sense and you liked the chapter. I like you character picture:)
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Yokels

Do you think they have the slightest idea that they shouldn't be screwing with the new kid, or what they are in for. The car is one thing, but torching the house is going to get someone some major time. I hope Dad forces the issue and makes the cops treat it like a real crime scene, and they get a print off the broken bottle.

Yeah the local cops will have to make a go at this

or at least look like they are. They have no idea what they're dealing with in Michael. Adam's not used to people not rolling over. And this whole thing is not going over well with Adams family...especially his father and grandfather. You just don't get away doing things like that to the Marshall family.

*Hugs*
Bailey

Bailey Summers

Thanks Bailey!!

Pamreed's picture

I almost feel sorry for Adam!! NOT!!! He will get his and the school officials
in his control also!! What will Michael think when he finds out about Jem?