Family Pictures

Printer-friendly version

How do you explain to a young daughter something you hadn't been prepared for her to find out? Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

Family Pictures

Copyright 2007 by Heather Rose Brown

As the three of us got comfortable on the overstuffed sofa, I looked over our daughter's head into the warm, loving eyes of my wife, Margaret. My heart reached out to her and again posed the question I had asked a number of times in as many different ways as I could think of in the long discussion we had just gone through. The amazing woman who had touched my soul a lifetime ago, the one who didn't flinch once no matter what secrets I revealed, simply nodded, her gentle smile answering my unspoken question more completely than mere words could have conveyed.

I looked down at the delicate wonder sitting between us and examined the worried face peering up at me. "Angie, do you know why your Mommy and I wanted to talk to you tonight?"

Our daughter chewed on her lower lip for a moment. "Am I in trouble?"

Margaret gently squeezed the tiny hand she had been holding. "No baby, you're not in trouble. Why would you think that?"

Angie turned to her mother. Even though I couldn't see her face, she still sounded uneasy. "Well, Daddy kinda had a heart attack when I dragged that box outta the garage this afternoon."

That moment of sheer terror came back to me in a flash. If Margaret hadn't been there to hold onto me, I might have fainted right in the middle of the crowd of neighbors milling around our driveway and searching through our collection of old clothes, forgotten books, and other items that had gone unused for too long.

Our child turned back to me, obvious concern now mixed with the worry, when I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. I did my best to give her a reassuring smile. "Sweetheart, you didn't do anything wrong. I had asked you to bring out anything that looked like it might sell at the garage sale. Also, I wasn't having a heart attack. I was just a little ... surprised when you found Becky's clothes."

The name nearly caught in my throat. I hadn't been expecting to share it with Angie for a long time. Now that it was out in the air, I knew the rest would be coming out soon. My heart thudded in my chest as I began to wonder if I was taking things too fast. Angie was very intelligent and surprisingly perceptive, but was that enough for an eight-year-old to understand what I was planning to say? Did I have what it took to explain things in a way that would make sense to her?

My wife reached out with her free hand and stroked my arm. I glanced up at her and the anxiety that had been building faded in the wake of her easy grin. The trust in her eyes restored a bit of my self-confidence as a parent.

When I looked back at Angie, her worried expression had changed to her normal insatiable curiosity. "You gonna tell me 'bout Becky now?"

I pulled back on the smile that had somehow slipped from my face. "Actually, I was thinking of showing her to you."

I barely managed to hold back a giggle when her brow furrowed exactly the way her mother's did when she was confused. After giving her shoulder a quick squeeze, I turned towards the end-table nearest me, both to hide my grin and to open the door I had unlocked before sitting down.

Once I had pulled a heavy, black, vinyl-clad album from the end-table and laid it in my lap, our daughter squealed with delight. "Ooooo! Family pictures!"

"I really hadn't thought of it before, but I guess you could say Becky is a part of the family."

"How's she related?"

Even though I knew Angie was a smart little girl, I was still surprised by her question. Fortunately, as always, Margaret stepped in, just when I needed her. "Why don't you let Daddy show you the photos first, then we can start telling you a little about her?"

"Okay, I can wait." Angie beamed at both of us before turning her attention to the album. Once I had settled it in her lap and opened the cover to the first page, all three of us began looking through the photographs. My wife and I let our child decide when to turn the pages, since it was her first time seeing Becky.

After a few minutes, Angie looked up at me, obviously confused. "Daddy, is she a grown-up?"

Once again, her question took me by surprise. I was tempted to let Margaret tackle it, but I felt it was important for me to give an answer. "Well, yes and no."

I mentally kicked myself for giving such a half-baked reply. Of course, it wasn't enough for our daughter. "Whatcha mean by that?"

Taking in a deep breath, I collected what thoughts hadn't abandoned me before answering. "I guess what I'm trying to say is ... she's a little girl in a lot of ways, but she has a grown-up body."

Angie blinked at me, still looking a little confused, before turning back to the album. "She really seems nice. Why ain't I seen her before?"

Margaret stroked the back of her head. "I have to agree with you. Becky is a very nice little girl. As far as why you haven't seen her before ... I think your daddy should answer that."

I could feel my cheeks warming at my spouse's words and was having more difficulty pulling together anything resembling coherent thought. "You see ... umm ... what I mean is, that's not an easy question to answer."

I nearly choked when the sweetest little girl in the world looked up from the album and asked me, "Is there something wrong with her?"

While I struggled with all the implications of Angie's question, my dear, loving wife answered it with unmitigated confidence. "No, there's nothing at all wrong with Becky."

"Then why ain't I seen her?"

At this point, I gave up trying to find the best way to answer our daughter's questions and simply spoke from my heart. "Actually, you have. She's ..." I closed my eyes and scraped up the last bit of willpower I could find. "She's me."

I had been bracing myself for laughter, but all I heard was silence. A few seconds later, a small hand rested on top of mine. "Daddy, you ain't teasing, are you?"

Instead of amusement, I saw a searching gaze when I opened my eyes. Too shocked for words, all I could do was shake my head.

Not a muscle moved in Angie's face, but the sadness in her eyes just about broke my heart. "Does that mean you ain't my daddy?"

I pulled the brave little girl into my lap just as I felt a hot tear sliding down my cheek. Margaret picked up the album and set it down on the floor before shifting closer and wrapping her arms around both of us. Somehow, my wife's strong embrace helped me pull my emotions back together. I shifted back a little until I could look our daughter in the eye. "I will always always be your daddy, no matter what. Becky is just ... a different part of me."

Angie looked down at her hands and seemed to be deep in thought for a minute before she looked back up at me with a familiar, impish grin. "Can I see her tonight?"

Her mother's tone was gentle but firm. "Not tonight, love.You have school tomorrow and it's already past your bed time."

As usual, our daughter was in her element when it came to bedtime bartering. "Can I just see her pictures then?"

Fortunately, my wife and I had anticipated this ploy and I had at least one ready answer. "Yes, you can look at it in bed for a little while if you'd like, but only if you agree to get your jammies on now and don't try to argue about going to bed."

It only took a few moments before Angie answered, "Well ... okay, but can I see Becky later?"

I looked to my wife, who grinned and nodded. "Okay, we'll see what we can do."

Obviously satisfied with the bargaining session, the most amazing little girl in the world wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed my cheek. "G'night Daddy. I love you."

I hugged her back and kissed her on the forehead. "I love you too. Sweet dreams."

Once I let her go, our daughter slipped from my lap and gave her mother a hug and kiss goodnight. "G'night, Mommy. Love you too."

After hugging and kissing her back, Margaret said, "Love you too, baby. Now head upstairs and get changed. We'll bring the album up to you in a few minutes."

Nearly bouncing with excitement, Angie ran across the living room to the staircase. Just as she was about to put a foot on the bottom step, she froze and turned around.

Wondering if she was going to try one more time to stay up later I asked, "Did you forget something, sweetheart?"

"Uh huh."

Without another word of explanation, Angie walked up to me, hugged me tightly, then whispered, "I love you too, Becky."

up
115 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tissues ...

Heather,

Yet another sweet story, economical in the telling without losing the message or impact. I'm going to have to start buying tissues in bulk if I keep reading your work, though.

Wonderful story, though.

Thank you,

Itinerant

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Truth is the hardest part

And we all fear of ridicule. In this story the moment of truth came suddenly and thankfully the 8-year old daughter accepts his daddy as "Becky" too. How many are hiding just because the moment might be very bad indeed? Ridicule, disowning and even physical abuse? I have only told my brother and he didn't really understand.

Well written story with very realistic reactions from the daughter (I think). I just loved the part where little Angie wonders if he is still her dad.

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Heather Rose, Another loving

Heather Rose,

Another loving and tender story that reminds all of us just how special each one of us are. It never fails to amaze me, how the inocence of a child can see what we can't see and can love and accept what blinds most adults.

Thank you for you unique outlook. We are all, truly blessed by your presence in our community.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

Thank you

Thank you for sharing a wonderful Father's Day gift! A wonderful story once again from a great author
Hugs,
Diana

Family pictures

Heather you are the best! Thank you for sharing this sweet thoughtful story on father's day!
Hugs!
grover

What can I say, dear?

That hasn'r already been said?

HUGs from Aunt Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Family Pictures

Heather,
You write stories that touch the heart and soul of your reader with wonder and happiness. Please keep up the good work. How else am I going to get rich off my stock in Kleenex???

Nothing in Life is Free, if the cost is not monitary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Wonderful Story

Not much I can say beyond echoing everyone else's comments. A warm, emotional story, skillfully written.

Eric

Beauty and simplicity

kristina l s's picture

You certainly have a knack for it Heather. Makes you wonder about choices made and decisions reached. There is nearly always another path that might be followed. A dream of what might be. Might have been I suppose. Whatever else this definitely raises a smile...and yes, a tear... or two.
Kristina

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much for all your wonderful feedback. I'd originally had the basic idea for the story about a week before I wrote it, but didn't actually start writing it until early Sunday morning. Mostly what I had been trying to do was portray a relatively realistic scene where a father struggled with the pros and cons of coming out to his daughter. I hadn't really planned for it to be a Father's Day type story when I first began writing, but somehow it kinda came out that way anyways. :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

I can't believe...

RobertaME's picture

...that I never commented on this story before. I've read it a dozen times at least, but I don't know why I couldn't think of what to say before. It seems so obvious to me now.

When my wife gave birth to our 2nd son, we had already decided that he would be our last child. Shortly after we took him home from the hospital, my wife began pushing me to stop lying to my family and come out. I was so terrified of losing the love of my family that I staunchly refused to even consider it. Eventually we agreed on a compromise. At home I would always be me... Mom to our boys. By the time our youngest was ready to start Kindergarten though, it was getting harder and harder to explain to them why Mom had to pretend to be a man when she went to see family and why they had to lie to grandma and grandpa about a daddy they didn't have. When I overheard my older son tell my younger son, "It's OK to lie to grownups. Mom and Mommy tell us to do it all the time!" I knew it had to stop.

Every time one of us hides who we are, we are teaching our children to lie. Eventually they will find out because the truth has evidence on its side. A picture here... a mis-spoken word there... even if you keep it a secret to your grave, they'll find out going through your things. They will find out, one way or another. If they find out later in life, they'll question everything you ever said or taught them. They'll see every time that you kept yourself hidden from them as a lie... questioning even your love for them as yet another lie.

This is why my wife made me only ever be myself around our children. She knew it was just a matter of time before it would come out and she didn't want them ever thinking that their Mom had hidden from them or told them the lie that she was their daddy. So our boys only ever knew me as Mom.

This story, while sweet and cute, shows the danger in lying to your children about who their parents are. Angie is eight here and thankfully doesn't react poorly to the revelation, but by that age she could just as easily reacted badly. Most people don't remember their childhood well. I do... vividly. I remember being 8 years old and how stupid I knew the grownups thought we kids were. We weren't. When one of my older cousins came out as gay, right there in the middle of a family party, they all thought we kids were too ignorant to know what that meant. We knew. We knew he was gay before he came out! It was just so obvious!

My point being that Angie at eight might have rebelled against her parents because she felt lied to... and she'd have good reason to think that... she was lied to. Her 'daddy' isn't the person she was pretending to be. She was always Becky and 'daddy' was just a face she wore... like a poor-fitting mask.

Don't teach your kids how to lie to the world. If you're reading this story and you have kids, just drop the act and be yourself. The longer you wait, the worse damage you'll do.

Thanks for this story, Heather Rose Brown! Short and sweet and straight to the point! Wonderful as always!

Being truthful...

...can be pretty hard sometimes. And it can sometimes feel easy to lie, especially if we think it might protect somebody. But, in my own experience, it's always better to be honest. Even when it can hurt someone, I've found lies usually hurt more. I'm glad you were able to be honest with your kids. Knowing you can trust someone, no matter what, can be a pretty important thing to have. I'm also glad you enjoyed this story. Thank you for commenting! :)