Somewhere Else Entirely -47-

Printer-friendly version

Palace life continues for Garia as the end of the rainy season approaches. Snep gets his first chance to show his paces and Garia gets her hands on the mysterious swords for the first time. The Queen, however, is not convinced that sword-fighting is all that Garia is up to...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

47 - Swords and Saddles


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"How do you do that, milady?"

The question came from Stott, who was riding beside her as the column of trainee riders picked their way along the gravel path around the edge of the training field.

"Do what, Stott?

"Ride like that," he asked. "Is it just because young women are naturally limber like that, or is it that odd saddle of yours?" He shuffled uncomfortably on his issue saddle. "I just can't seem to find the right way to do this."

"It's quite straightforward," Garia replied. "Your saddles are quite adequate for the use you make of them but where I come from, we have a tradition of building them a slightly different way." A smile. "Don't forget our animals are different than yours, and our history is probably quite different, too."

"That can't be the whole story, milady, surely."

"Probably not. Let's see if I can explain. Have you ever watched exactly what a frayen does when it walks? It lifts one foot up at a time, moves it forward, and then puts it down. Then it moves another foot, and so on."

Stott frowned. "Well, yes, that's obvious, milady." He was puzzled by the turn of conversation.

"Think about that. To lift any foot up, the frayen has to shift it's weight onto the other three feet, doesn't it? If it didn't, it would fall over. So, it's constantly shifting it's weight around to lift each foot up in turn. Now, think about a sack of grain lashed to the back of a frayen used as a pack animal." Stott nodded. "The animal has to compensate for the extra weight, doesn't it? Just like if you had to carry a heavy pack on your back. So far so good. But a rider in a saddle is a different proposition, you see? You're not lashed down like a sack of grain is, you shift around all the time to keep your own balance because your mount is shifting around under you."

Stott's eyes narrowed as he tried to follow her argument.

"Yeah. I mean, yes, milady. I see that. But, what of it?"

"Simply that your poor mount can't predict what you are going to do while sitting on his back, so it has to make exaggerated movements to try and stop you falling off. That makes your ride even more uncomfortable. Now, this saddle of mine is placed further forward, so I'm more nearly over Snep's front legs. And the stirrups are under me, not in front, so that I can support my weight better. I'm not just sitting in the saddle here, Stott, I'm actually partly supporting my weight in my stirrups, which I can do but you can't. Yet. So, it's more comfortable for my mount, and Snep knows that I'm taking care of my own balance. That gives him confidence that I know what I'm doing, so he can walk along easier and smoother."

Stott struggled with the concepts. "I think I understand, milady." He looked at her with surprise. "That's a lot of thinking to be doing just about how a beast walks, if you don't mind me saying so. And from one so young, as well."

"When I first started riding, down on my uncle's farm, I sat on the saddle badly as well. It was only when it was all explained to me that I understood what I was doing, and it's made all the difference." Garia shrugged. "Not all that hard, really. But there's lots of things in our lives that seem more important, sometimes, so it's easy to miss something simple. Once you get used to riding like this, it'll soon become automatic, and it won't bother you any more."

"As you say, milady."

There was a patter of water droplets on the shoulders of her padded tabard, signaling the end of the present period without rain. A shout came from behind her.

"It rains, milady. Shall you return to shelter?"

Garia nodded to Stott and let Snep drop back to ride beside Vern.

"Not on my account, Vern. If you feel that everyone should, then by all means let's do it, but I don't mind getting wet."

They had emerged from the hall after three days of intensive instruction to find the weather on the point of improvement. It still rained, but the periods between showers was becoming increasingly greater as the days passed. Overhead, the sky looked more broken, with patches of blue sky visible between the varying levels of black, gray and white clouds. There was a light, pleasant breeze which promised a fine autumn to come.

They were sticking to the gravel and flagged paths because the 'grass' was still too sodden to bear the weight of so many beasts and riders. They passed the end of the armory and Haflin was there under the awning, huge arms folded across his massive chest, watching the recruits go by. He caught sight of Garia and waved. When she acknowledged him he beckoned to her.

"Troop, halt!"

Garia nudged Snep out of the line and across to meet Haflin.

"Milady." He saluted. "You look just perfectly natural sitting up there, if I may say so."

"Thank you, Master Haflin," she replied. "I hope I'm just the first female to ride like this in Palarand. Did you know that Lady Merizel intends to ride as well, and that the King has reluctantly agreed?"

Haflin grinned at her. "I have heard word of the frank discussions between our noble King and Queen, milady. You seem to have a knack for disturbing the balance, don't you?"

"I'm trying to keep it peaceful," Garia said. "You called me over for something?"

"Milady, yes. The first pair of swords will be ready by lunchtime. Did you wish to begin your training today?"

Garia frowned in thought. "I'm not sure, Master Haflin. I'll have to ask Merry - Lady Merizel, I mean. I know we are meeting some guildsmen this afternoon, it's just a question of if I can persuade the Queen I don't need a nap beforehand."

"Ah, I understand your problem, milady. You have my best wishes regarding that conversation."

"Thank you, Master Haflin. And now, I'd better get back in line before everyone gets even wetter. I'll send word immediately after lunch once I know what I'm doing."

Garia rode back to join the column just as the rain intensified. Vern considered briefly and then issued a command.

"Troop, break ranks! Back to the stables, as quickly as you may!"

He pointed directly across the grass towards the stable block on the other side of the field. Most of the men needed no further incentive and turned their beasts, urging them into a trot and then a canter. With the men spread out across what was the length of the column, the turf would be able to withstand their passage this once.

"Go, Snep! Go!"

Her frayen was delighted to be given the chance, however brief, to stretch his legs and the neck went forward as he changed gear. Soon he had reached a smooth gallop and his rider had a broad smile on her face as she adjusted to the change in gait. She ducked her head slightly to allow the peak of her helmet to protect her vision against the rain and leaned forward, one hand on the handle to help her balance, the other holding the reins loosely. Snep needed no control as he knew exactly what had to be done.

They reached the stable entrance and Snep rapidly back-pedaled to walking pace once they were under cover, carefully ensuring that Garia remained seated. Both rider and steed were exhilarated by their impromptu dash across the field. Garia dismounted and led Snep to his box to begin the process of removing harness and wiping him down. She reached under his chest and released the girth strap.

"Snep, down!" she said quietly.

She pressed her hand gently between his shoulders and Snep settled to the floor, making it possible for Garia to pull the saddle off and rack it.

"If you keep doing that," came a voice from behind her, "he'll go down of his own accord in a week or so."

She turned and Keren stood there, smiling.

"Need a hand?" he asked, but she shook her head. "It seems obvious to me," he continued, "that the moment you release the girth strap Snep will settle down without you asking, because he knows what you want to do next. I'm amazed by the amount you can get out of that animal, Garia." He grinned. "And watching you out-pace everyone else across the field was amazing, too. I don't think I've ever seen a frayen gallop before with the rider still in the saddle."

As was always the case when the Prince first appeared, something relaxed inside of Garia. Fighting the inevitable emotional twist that their situation caused, she forced her expression to remain neutral.

"That's as may be, Keren," she said, wiping Snep's back with a large square of towel, "but I'm afraid I'm making him soft. If he looks after me this way, he'll be no good when it comes to a fight, will he?"

"He may surprise you. To have an animal under you who trusts you completely, and who you trust in the same measure, may be a significant advantage when the situation becomes awkward." He shrugged. "Only time will prove the matter, of course."

"Were you just watching me," she asked, "or was there some other reason you came to find me?"

"Some of each," he replied. "We'd finished in the small hall and I wanted to see you ride outside for the first time. I think you just convinced everybody that that saddle of yours is worth the time and effort. For myself, I can't wait until my own one is made. But I also came to tell you, Hurdin has arrived with the special glassware you asked for."

Garia frowned. "That's awkward, since I've just spoken with Haflin, and he's told me... the swords are ready, he wants me to try them out this afternoon."

Garia had changed what she was going to say as Vern appeared in the entrance to the stall. Her eyes flicked to him to warn Keren to watch what he said, and Keren gave a tiny nod in response.

"That was an impressive ride, milady," Vern said. "I look forward to accompanying you when we venture beyond the palace walls. The beasts need exercising as much as the men do, and you shall demonstrate to all how well you ride."

"Thank you, Vern. I look forward to those days as well."

Once she had finished attending to Snep, Garia hung his feed bag within reach and turned to Keren.

"Are you walking back to our rooms with me? It's about time to change for lunch, I think. I'd like to get out of these damp clothes. Where's Jenet, do you know?"

Keren shook his head. "No, I don't. It seems strange, seeing you here without her."

"It feels odd, not having her around me. Of course, on Earth, I would never have had someone follow me around like that." She sighed. "Strange! How I've changed over these months."

Keren gave her a quirky smile. "I think I prefer you looking like this to looking like a young man like me, thank you. You've certainly adapted well to life here in Palarand."

Garia returned his smile. "Well, I've had good teachers, haven't I?" She indicated the door leading into the palace proper. "After you, Highness."

~o~O~o~

"Where are you two going? Garia, shouldn't you be coming up for your nap?"

Terys looked at the pair suspiciously. Garia felt awkward being challenged by the Queen like that when she was doing nothing wrong. Even Keren looked a bit put out.

"Mother, we told you before lunch," he said patiently. "We have to go and meet Master Hurdin in the laboratory, take delivery of some glassware he's brought us ready for tomorrow."

"That shouldn't take you very long, dear. Shall you join us afterward, then?"

"I told you, mother. Master Haflin has made swords for Garia, and he wants to make sure they fit properly. We agreed to see him this afternoon, so we'll go along to the training rooms after we've seen Hurdin. There's so much going on at the moment it's becoming difficult for Garia to fit it all in."

Terys turned to the third young person. "Is this true, Merizel?"

"I'm afraid, ma'am, that His Highness is right," Merizel said. "Everything seems to be happening all at once, and it's only gotten worse since the rains have eased. Garia has much to do before we all leave for the north."

Terys regarded the group severely, but there was nothing she could say to them. "Very well," she told them eventually, "but I consider that Garia is overworking herself and will need to rest some day soon. Just make sure that you don't stretch yourself too much, dear. You and Keren have your coming-of-age in seven days, and after that we shall be preparing to travel. I don't want to see you exhausted - any of you, for that matter, before the ceremony. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, mother."

"Yes, ma'am."

"As you say, ma'am."

"Then you may go."

Terys watched the group depart with a little concern. It was true that Garia was very active at the moment, but she was a fine young girl with all the energy that the young usually had. On the other hand... what were they up to, really? Keren had given vague answers when she had asked him before lunch, and that was unlike him. And what of the rumors that Jenet had spent the morning with Merizel and Rosilda while Garia rode her frayen? With no chaperone, what were those two really up to? Her lips compressed. This evening, she would demand the truth.

~o~O~o~

"Are you sure this is what you asked for, milady?" Hurdin asked her. "I know your people can do more with glass than we can, but these just seem... odd."

She looked at the items on the laboratory bench. Beside her, Tarvan, and improbably, Fulvin, also inspected Hurdin's efforts with interest.

"I think so, Master Hurdin. These are only for our demonstration tomorrow. This piece," she held up a curious Y-shaped glass tube, "fits into this one nice and loose, doesn't it?"

She held up the other part, a U-shaped tube with a flattened bottom, and inserted the two legs of the Y-piece into it.

"That will work," she said, satisfied. "Don't you agree, Tarvan?"

"I think so, milady," the young electrical engineer-to-be replied. "I'll experiment with them this afternoon, see if they will do what you say they will."

"And the glass jars?" Garia asked, turning to Hurdin.

"I have brought six, milady," he said with a rueful smile. "Learning to make square jars was... interesting, to say the least." He brightened. "But we can see the utility of such a shape, and we now have the experience, so with your permission we may begin production. Do you object if we offer these to our other customers, milady?"

"Not at all, Master Hurdin! Go ahead, make some money."

"As you wish, milady," he said with a bow. "And the demonstration is still set for tomorrow?"

"I think so," she said with a frown. "You are invited for lunch, I believe?"

"Indeed, milady. One does not refuse an invitation from the King."

"Indeed not." She smiled at him. "We will see you tomorrow, then."

Hurdin departed, and she turned her attention to Fulvin.

"Master Fulvin. I didn't expect to see you here."

"Milady," Tarvan said, "I needed his expertise to help making some of the smaller parts. I trust this is acceptable?"

"Guildmistress," Fulvin added, "I find what you and Tarvan are doing to be most interesting. Do you object if I continue to assist?"

Guildmistress, he called me. So, this is a little more formal than just yes or no.

"Master Fulvin, I see no reason why you should not involve yourself in what we are doing here," she told him. "However, any time you spend here should not be at the expense of your other duties. Right now, you serve the King, not me and not the Guild."

Fulvin gave her an elaborate bow with an arm sweeping across in front of him. "It shall be as you command, Guildmistress."

Oh, Lord. How can I stop people bowing and scraping toward me? I'm just not used to all this.

"Yes, well. I have to go now to meet the King's Armorer. I'll look in just before dinner to check on progress."

Everybody bowed to her and she left, accompanied by Merizel, Jenet and Bursila.

"What do you want us to do now?" Merizel asked.

"If you're happy to continue with Rosilda, carry on," Garia said. "Like I told you, there are a lot of serious oaths in danger already, and there would be trouble if you all came with me. I'm sure you'll know what's happening eventually, but right now it's a little early to go public."

"As you wish, Garia."

"Jenet?"

"I'm not happy about this, milady, but I understand what some of those oaths may involve. You'll return in good time to change for dinner, milady?"

"Yes, of course, Jenet."

Her eyes narrowed as she considered the conversation they had had with Terys after lunch. "Don't make plans for this evening, Merry. I suspect we'll be called to the King's parlor."

Merizel gave a rueful smile. "I'd guessed that, Garia. Go on, we'll see you later."

~o~O~o~

"Is that comfortable, milady?"

Garia tried moving her arms and torso.

"It feels a little stiff and tight, but nothing I can't handle," she replied.

Haflin explained, "The leather of the straps is new, milady. In time, it will soften and stretch slightly, and you will find that you barely notice it upon you."

Garia wore a dry set of riding gear, since they had agreed that this was the most likely outfit she would be wearing if use of weapons ever became necessary. The straps crossed between her shoulder blades, came over her shoulders and crossed again between her breasts. Because of the tabard there was little discomfort to her softer anatomy. At either hip, the cross-straps were joined to a thin belt which encircled her waist. Her pink sash concealed the belt. On her back, each strap had the sheath of one of the strange swords fixed length-ways along it.

"We are ready then, D'Kenik," Haflin said, stepping back and away to one side.

"Milady," D'Kenik said, "reach up and find the hilts of your swords, if you please."

Garia found the hilts, with the knuckle guards uppermost, and wrapped her fingers around them.

"Now, try and pull the blades out, milady."

She pulled upwards and outwards, the practice blades coming easily free of the new leather. She stood facing D'Kenik, arms out to each side, the blades angled down towards the floor.

D'Kenik grimaced. "A pretty display, milady. It seems that we chose the right lengths for the swords, Master Haflin," he said in an aside. Haflin nodded agreement, and D'Kenik continued, "Milady, your present position leaves your body unprotected. If you would try again, but next time try to keep your elbows in front of you, so that the blades come over each shoulder."

Garia's face reddened. Of course, sweeping her swords out to the side like that probably looked good in a movie, but it wasn't really practical. As D'Kenik said, she left herself open to a thrust, and besides, she'd probably injure the men who stood either side of her!

"As you say, D'Kenik. Now, if one of you would help me get these back in their sheaths..."

Both Haflin and D'Kenik helped her reset the swords, and then D'Kenik said, "Bring them forward, milady, and when you have done so, hold them crossed vertically in front of you."

It was easy, the next time, and she saw the difference the change of movement made.

"Now, Highness, if you would attack with your sword, but slowly so that we may instruct the Baroness how to defend."

It was clear, after a short while, that the crossed blades would trap almost any attempt by an attacker to get to her. Once the oncoming blade was caught, she could sweep it to one side or the other and force her attacker to show an unprotected side of his body. Removing the sword which she held on that side, she could swivel and thrust, using the sharpened point of the blade to stab her opponent.

The technique was straightforward to learn and Garia absorbed the basics quickly once the ideas were explained to her. The practice speeded up until Keren was putting all his effort into getting past her guard with very few successes. Finally Haflin called a halt for refreshment. He and D'Kenik handed round goblets of water.

"It is surprising, D'Kenik," the King's Armorer said, "how successful this method of yours is, even in the hands of so small a student." He smiled at Garia. "I considered that these blades would not be long enough, but the use of them is clever."

"Master," D'Kenik replied, "the use is intended for defense, since we would not voluntarily send our women to battle." He shrugged. "But of course sometimes battle comes to those who stay behind, and those who are not of a size to carry a normal sword may yet use these. As you have seen, the intent is to trap the sword of your opponent, and while it is so trapped to turn him and deliver a blow to his unprotected side. Milady Garia has shown us just how well that may be achieved."

Haflin nodded thoughtfully. "But that was a practice attack by - forgive me, Highness - a young, unseasoned warrior. What if Milady Garia should face someone stronger and more experienced? Someone my own size, perhaps?"

D'Kenik grinned at Haflin. "You may be pleased to know, master, that those who plunder the shores of my people do not grow as large as you. If one such should appear, though, then the technique should serve just as well. Once the sword is trapped, it does not matter who wields it."

"You're saying that it uses a similar principle as my martial arts," Garia suggested.

"As you say, milady."

"May I look at those blades while you rest?" Haflin asked. "I want to see what nicks and dents you have caused. These are only sample blades, after all."

He took the blades and inspected the metal carefully.

"This one is bent," he remarked. "Let me straighten it." He briefly tensed his muscles and twitched the blade back into shape.

"D'Kenik," he asked, "how ought these to be tempered, do you know? It seems to me that they must needs withstand severe blows but without bending or breaking."

"I do not, master, I know not the smithing craft. I can tell you that they are quenched in the oil of the skeft, which is a very large fish that swims the Western ocean." He frowned. "I cannot think of any comparable creature known here in Palarand."

Haflin nodded. "I must experiment, then." He turned to Garia. "How are you feeling, milady? Ready for some more?"

Garia considered her situation. She was hot and beginning to feel a little tired. After all, she had spent most of the morning riding. Her clothes were sticky with sweat, and she could feel it running down one leg, never a good sign. Both her arms ached from holding the swords up for extended periods of time, light weight though they were. It was just as well that she had decided not to wear her helmet this afternoon, because the extra weight would have forced her to stop.

"Anyone know the time? Usually I have Jenet listen out for the bells."

"The eighth bell was a while ago, Garia," Keren replied. "As you sure you want to continue? You look a little red to me."

"I'll do a little more, I think. After all, you don't stop in a fight if you get tired, do you?"

Haflin looked at her with approval. "A true warrior's answer, milady. Though, it is true, there are certain contests when a rest is permitted. And you, Highness? What of yourself?"

"A little longer, if Garia is prepared to do it. Mind you, those blades sting, even though they aren't sharpened. I'm going to have bruises all down my sides tomorrow."

"Highness, forgive me," Haflin said. "If I had known what was to happen, I would have suggested a leather cuirass to protect your body."

Keren waved a dismissive hand. "We were not to know, Haflin. Today won't be the first time I've been bruised in sword practice, in any event." He handed his goblet back to D'Kenik and strode out into the hall.

Garia and Keren continued for a little longer before both decided that enough was enough. They walked back to the bleachers for another drink.

"What do I do with these?" Garia asked, with the swords in her other hand.

"Leave them in here," Keren suggested. "If you hang them on one of those pegs, nobody will be able to tell they aren't new blades."

"Apart from the sweat-stained scabbards, you mean," Garia said. "You're right, though. Nobody looks closely at any of that gear, they'll be safe enough. Master Haflin?"

"I'll need to take them tonight, milady, to make sure they are straight and true for your next practice." Garia pulled a face. "His Majesty and His Highness keep their field weapons in the armory, milady. Shall yours be kept there? The situation is somewhat... unusual, isn't it?"

"Do whatever you do for the men," she decided. "I don't want any special treatment." She turned to D'Kenik. "And thank you for your instruction, D'Kenik. These are definitely weapons I can use. What did you say your proper name was, again?"

D'Kenik gave her a deep bow. "Milady, I have the honor to be Taximandil Sorofur'than Kodas D'Kenik an K'kdaril, your servant."

She looked at him thoughtfully. "I'm guessing that the last part, what was it? K'kdaril, was your home city, am I right?"

He grinned at her. "You have it right, milady." He cocked his head. "Do you know our tongue, milady?"

She started to shake her head, then paused. Strangely, the words he had spoken sounded as though she ought to know them somehow. Was this another side-effect, or even a benefit of her auto-translation abilities?

"I don't know, D'Kenik," she replied slowly. "Since I didn't even teach myself to speak the Valley tongue, I don't know what else might be in here." She tapped the side of her head. "What does the rest of your name mean?"

D'Kenik looked guarded. "Milady... I don't know how to compare our naming methods with those in use in Palarand. D'Kenik is... perhaps one could call it a house name, just as you are now of house Blackstone. Since there is only myself here from my house, the name serves to identify me to all who know of such things."

Haflin had been listening carefully and now pointed a finger. "I think Kodas is some kind of title! Are you then a noble, D'Kenik?"

D'Kenik looked embarrassed. "Ah, Master Haflin, in my own land I may be the son of a minor noble, here at the other end of the world I am merely a guardsman of the King, nothing more. Please, do not make problems for me."

"As you wish, D'Kenik. What you have told us will go no further."

Garia returned the goblet and faced Haflin. "Master, thank you for the practice session. I must go and find my maid and secretary." She paused to consider. "Ah, Master Haflin, I wonder... may I ask a favor of you? It concerns this evening."

Garia explained the Queen's suspicions and Haflin readily agreed to help if he could.

"Oh, thank you!" she said, relieved. "Then, if you will excuse me? Highness, if you would escort me to the Wardrobe?"

Garia and Keren left the practice halls and made their way through the corridors towards the wardrobe department. Their route lay along unfamiliar passages and twice Keren led her the wrong way at intersections. Although the palace was nominally laid out on a grid plan not all of the sections had corridors open as thoroughfares, and it was necessary for them to make detours in certain places. During one of those detours they passed a party of female servants going the other direction.

"Milady!"

Garia and Keren turned to face the five women, who instantly curtseyed.

"Uh, Highness, Milady."

"Can we help you?" Garia asked.

She could see the woman who had spoken was actually frightened. Normally low-level servants didn't address their superiors except when directly addressed themselves, so this was out of character. Some of her companions looked worried that she had stopped the heir to the throne and his well-known companion. The woman stood there shaking, unable to speak.

"Look, we won't bite," Garia said. "You have something to ask me, something that you feel strongly about, strongly enough to want to stop me in a corridor." She gave a smile which she hoped would encourage the woman. "Don't worry about him," she added, jerking a thumb at Keren, "he's just making sure I don't get lost."

The woman licked her lips, and then spoke hesitantly. "Milady, we heard that you train with the guard, even though you are so young."

"Yes, that's right," Garia said. The other women looked at each other. "In fact," she added, "I've just come from sword practice."

"I was wondering, milady... is it possible that other women might join the guard? I know you're special and all that, but there's some of us think we could do as good a job as some of those men do. We may not be as strong as the men, but some can handle weapons like knives and bows. If there is any chance that we might better serve our King..."

Garia looked more closely at the speaker. She was fairly tall for a woman and well-built. Her arms were feminine but showed muscle under the skin, not fat.

"Well, I don't know," she said finally. "You're right, I am a special case, and that's because in the land I come from both men and women..." she searched for a suitable phrase, "...train in arms. Less women than men do, as you might expect, but it is possible. There. Here, I'm not so sure. How many of you are there, that might be interested?"

The woman shrugged. "Dunno, milady. There was five of us talked about it the other night, and we decided any one of us who saw you would stop you and ask. Begging your pardon, milady. There might be more, maybe two or three, just in the kitchens where we work."

Garia made a quick decision. "Okay, look. I'm not going to promise you anything, understand? But I can go and talk to Captain Merek and Captain Bleskin for you. It might be that you could train the same way I do, but making you actual guardswomen is another matter entirely, because you'd have to have different uniforms and separate barracks and all the other things that having men and women working together cause problems over."

The woman's face fell. "I wondered if that might be the answer, milady. But you'll speak to the captains?"

"I will. Keren? What do you think?"

He nodded. "An interesting idea, I think. Logically, if you can do it, then anyone can, can't they?" He smiled at the woman, who stared back in surprise. "There are certain situations where female guards might be of use, don't you think? Palarand is going to look quite different in the future, I'm sure, than it does now, so it is worth our time to consider the matter. Your name, so we may find you again?"

The woman curtseyed to him, shaking with the shock of being spoken to by the Prince. "Danisa, if it please your Highness."

"Danisa, you have our word that we will speak of your request to those who matter."

"Thank you, Your Highness."

The five women curtseyed again and moved off, speaking together in low voices.

"Well! That was unexpected," Garia said as they resumed their own route.

"Really? I thought that it was inevitable, myself," Keren said. "After all, it was you who said, 'People are going to say, if she can do it, why can't I?'"

"You're right. Perhaps I've been a bit wrapped up in all the other things going on," she said thoughtfully. "Of course, at one level I knew things like that were likely to happen, it's just that I didn't expect them to happen quite so soon."

"As you say. For my part, I feel quite confident that when I become King, there will be women in the Royal Guard." Garia looked at him surprise. "That business during the Harvest Festival, now, that could have been dealt with much better had you women guards around you, don't you think?"

She shrugged. "I don't think it would have mattered which they were, Keren."

"My point exactly. So why insist on having only men, when a woman can be just as good?"

Garia was lost for words. When Keren became King, Palarand was going to get a shock at the changes he would usher in. He obviously understood her world better than she had realized. Had she made that much of an impression on him?

At the entrance to the wardrobe area they arrived just as Yolda was departing. She gave them both a proper curtsey. "Your Highness. My Lady."

Inside Rosilda watched the exchange with some just-noticeable amusement. She curtseyed to the pair as well.

"Highness, milady, welcome." She frowned at the state of Garia's clothes.

"I have spent the afternoon practicing my sword-play, Rosilda," Garia explained. "I'm afraid I got the other outfit wet this morning, riding outside on the field, so I've nothing to wear tomorrow." Garia rolled her eyes. "Typical, isn't it? Saying I've nothing to wear. What I mean is, I won't have a clean riding outfit."

"You wish me to make another, milady?" Rosilda pursed her lips. "What with everything else that's going on at the moment -" Keren looked at her with interest, but said nothing, "- I'm not sure there's anyone free to make you another outfit, milady. As you well know, we have had to employ extra seamstresses these last few weeks."

"Oh, I know that, Rosilda." Garia grinned. "I have a whole room full of clothes, I'll manage." She looked around. "Where are my crew?"

"In hut seven, milady, enjoying themselves mightily." She raised an eyebrow. "You noticed Mistress Yolda, I take it?"

"Yes. She seemed... not too bad today."

Rosilda smirked. "She would never admit it, milady, especially to you, but she wears her own bra these days. The garment required enough canvas to make bras for three other women, but she concedes, reluctantly, that it is more comfortable to wear than what went before. I think she has realized that some changes may be for the better, but she would die rather than admit the obvious."

"As you say, Rosilda. Keren, would you mind staying here? The others may be in a state of undress."

When they reached the hut, however, everyone was ready to leave. They returned to collect Keren and then trod the well-worn path back to their quarters.

"A lot going on?" Keren quoted as they walked.

"Just preparing for our ceremony next week," Garia explained. "Or, rather, my ceremony, since you'll just wear your best suit of clothes and look handsome as always. Us girls have a harder time of it, trying to find something suitable to wear."

Keren grinned. "So my sisters told me, repeatedly. I'll collect you for dinner."

Garia couldn't wait to get her sweaty things off and jump in the tub.

"What did you do, milady, to get your clothes in this state?"

"Fighting with two swords, Jenet. Hot and sticky work, but perhaps I need to be dressed a little more lightly in future."

"As you say, milady. Since you got the other set wet this morning, I don't know if any will be clean for you by tomorrow."

"Yes, I explained that to Rosilda. I'll just have to wear my ordinary exercise clothes, that's all."

When Garia and Keren reached the dining hall they sought out the captains, to find both talking to Kendar.

"Highness, milady." The three bowed.

"An odd thing happened to me this afternoon," she began, "that concerns the Royal Guard. No, don't go, please," she said as Kendar began to move away, "this might concern you also."

"If it's Guard business, milady," Bleskin said, "then you'd best talk with Merek here, since I'll be retiring officially next week. I'll stay and listen, though, if it's just advice you want."

"We'll all listen, milady," Merek said. "Very little you have told to us so far has been wasted words. What happened?"

"I met five palace servants in a corridor," she said, and then went on to explain what had occurred.

"I find the idea unsettling," Merek said when she had finished, "but perhaps not as unsettling as I might have before you came, milady. The Prince has the right of it, that if you can do such a thing then perhaps other women may wish to also." He sighed. "I doubt not that Captain Bleskin here is retiring at just the right moment, that he manages to avoid such unusual ideas as this, but I know my duty. Milady, I shall think on these matters and speak further to you concerning them. After all, you must have knowledge of how such an enterprise works on Earth, do you not?"

"A little, captain," Garia replied. "But I was never in the military or part of a military family, so I don't know exact details."

"Not so important, milady. Since the customs of our societies are different, we will need different answers. How many did you say there were, that might be interested?"

"Perhaps five to eight, initially, captain."

"Then perhaps we might follow the pattern you have established with the martial arts, milady, using these as the first group from whom we learn, and who will provide instructors for any further recruits. Do you agree, Bleskin?"

"As you say, Merek," Bleskin said with a smile that turned into a grin. "And I wish you joy of the experience."

"I see the implications," Kendar said to Garia. "Separate barracks will be required, and so on." He looked at Keren. "Have you yet spoken to the King, Highness?"

"Not yet," Keren admitted. "Bearing in mind everything else that is happening, or about to happen, I'm not sure what he will say. I'll mention it tomorrow."

"Tell him that both Bleskin and I are interested," Merek said. "We do not disapprove of the idea yet, while there is no detail to consider."

"I will."

Once the King and Queen had arrived, and everyone was seated, Robanar turned to Garia.

"Milady, you plunder my treasury! Bowdran asks for three more experienced saddlers, to add to the three he requested not a week ago! And as for the extra seamstresses the Mistress of the Wardrobe has requested, I am alarmed! We are supposed to have less need for the wardrobe, now that the rains are ending, than we did before. There are no festivals for some months, so I guess that all these extra people are needed for your own activities."

"Sire, the situation is not as bad as it appears," Garia responded. "The saddlers are making a new style of saddle for all the riders in the palace, to replace the old ones, so once that has been done the extra craftsmen will return to the city. As for the seamstresses..." she gave him a questioning look from the corner of her eye, "...do you really want to discuss women's underwear at the dinner table?"

Robanar's face reddened but he persisted. "Garia, I care not what they are making, but the expense!"

"...is nothing, Sire. Some of the women are making undergarments of a new design for all the women in the palace who wish to wear them. These garments are easier to make and will replace existing garments. The rest are employed by me, to make clothes I will be needing in the future."

"Oh? And what might those be?"

"Riding clothes, Sire. For me... and for my secretary." Robanar's face darkened. "Extra sets of clothes for me to train in. Uniforms in my new colors for the members of my staff, and for those who I will choose as a guard. Overalls for those days when I will be conducting experiments."

Robanar seemed mollified. "Very well, my dear. But what of the cost? Have you the money for such expense?"

"Sire, once the patterns for those items get out into Palarand, I can assure you that the money side will take care of itself. Your treasury is safe from the woman with the expensive tastes."

They concentrated on their meal then, and Garia thought it wise not to bring up any of several other controversial subjects. At the end of the meal, she and Keren waited near the royal couple for the inevitable summons.

"Garia, dear, will you and Keren accompany us to the parlor? There is something we must talk about."

"As you command, ma'am."

In the parlor, Robanar faced his wife with a question. "What's this about, dear?"

"Husband, it seems that Keren and Garia have discovered a fondness for each other."

"As they might, my dear, living so close together." His expression said, what of it?

"They have fallen for each other, dear. Must I be more plain?"

Robanar turned to them, meeting Keren's gaze first. "Is this true, my son?"

"Father, it is," Keren replied, his voice dry and quiet. "How could it be otherwise?"

"Yet you know the rule."

"As well as any, father. We both accept that it can never be."

Robanar turned. "And you, Garia?"

"Sire, it is true. It is a very hard lesson to learn, but we both accept the rule."

Robanar looked at them both for a moment, then nodded. He turned to Terys.

"My dear, it is an unfortunate circumstance, but both our children accept the necessity which restricts those who may one day sit on the throne."

"This is true, husband. But in recent days both have been secretly meeting away from the gaze of others, in Garia's case without even her maid, Jenet. I wondered, do they really accept the rule?"

I'm not sure that she really wants to separate us, she's more concerned with the succession at this point. It's just like the accusations Jarwin made, isn't it? What are we really doing, together in that room?

"What have you to say to this? Keren?"

"Father, we have been going to the training rooms to allow Garia to practice using a new kind of sword. Certain oaths mean that only four people could be there, and two of them are in this room. We have behaved properly at all times, father."

"Certain oaths? What oaths?"

Keren looked embarrassed. "Oaths not made to yourself, father, but to others in good faith. Oaths I am not at liberty to explain, that will not harm Palarand or it's people."

Robanar's eyebrows went up, but he made no further comment. He turned to Garia.

"And you, milady." That's not good, when the form of address changes. "What do you have to say to this charge?"

"Everything the Prince has spoken is the truth, Sire. We have been with Master Armorer Haflin and one other, to try out an unusual method of sword-fighting suitable for women. Because of the oaths, our practice had to be done in secret, but eventually most of it will become known to everybody. If you wish to question Master Haflin, he is waiting outside, talking to the two guardsmen who usually follow me around the palace."

Robanar looked startled that Garia had foreseen the confrontation, but waved a hand. "Keren, fetch him in."

Haflin had to turn sideways to get comfortably through the parlor door. He bowed and stood waiting his monarch's pleasure.

"Milady Garia here says that you are teaching her some kind of sword-work," Robanar said.

"This is true, Sire," Haflin replied.

"Oh, sit down, Haflin," Robanar said irritably. "You're making my neck hurt, looking up at you."

Garia took one look at him and got up from the settee, choosing a chair on the other side of the room. When Haflin eased himself down onto the settee, he completely filled it.

"Sire, we required a certain privacy, for reasons I will only speak with great reluctance. Certain oaths were given, not by ourselves, which would endanger someone who had particular knowledge of the methods we were using. Milady Garia is being taught a method of defending herself with swords which is used by certain people in the remote west. I know of this technique, but one of your guardsmen has more recent experience. It is the guardsman that we protect."

"Milady Garia attends you without her maid being present?"

"She does, Sire. However, not one single member of Your Majesty's guard would try her honor, she is entirely safe with us."

"And what of the Prince? Is she safe from him, or he from her?"

Haflin looked thunderstruck. "Why, Sire, the thought never occurred to me!" He composed himself, then added, "They have both conducted themselves properly whenever they have been within my sight, Sire. I cannot believe what you accuse them of."

"Neither can I." Robanar thought for a moment, then looked at Haflin. "You have put my mind at rest, Haflin. Thank you for your explanation. That will be all."

Haflin rose, bowed, and then left the room. Robanar turned to Terys.

"You see, my dear? I think you are finding problems where there are only shadows. It was inevitable that these two would become close, considering how they live together and that they have similar interests. However, both recognize their obligations and little harm has been done. "

"I thought -" Terys began. She shook her head. "I didn't know what to think. It was so unusual when Garia started going off without Jenet, and I wondered if they were trying to meet behind our backs, in spite of the rules..."

Robanar turned to the pair. "You can assure me that nothing has happened?" They both nodded. "And you can both give me your word that nothing will happen in the future?"

"I will, father."

"I will, Sire."

"Let this be an end of the matter, then. Garia, what of these swords Haflin spoke of? When shall we see a demonstration?"

"Sire, today is the first day I have used them. It will be some while before I would feel confident using them in front of you."

"Very well. And, speaking of demonstrations, you have one for us tomorrow afternoon?"

"Yes, Sire. In the laboratory after lunch."

Robanar nodded. "Good. Now, while you are here, let us talk about all this money you seem to have..."

~o~O~o~

"I keep forgetting, Jenet. I'd forgotten the whole chaperone business. The Queen thought Keren and I were up to something."

"I understand, milady. I trust you but there are others who might not." She finished drying Garia's back and handed her the night gown, continuing, "It did seem odd, being in the palace without you, milady." A smile came. "Although, we did enjoy ourselves in the wardrobe huts."

"You and Bursila have chosen a design, then?"

"Yes, with Rosilda's help. And not forgetting your own suggestions, of course, milady."

"And Merry?"

"Milady, we could scarce keep her from the rails! But we think you'll be pleased with the final result."

"I'm not as enthusiastic about trying things on as Merry is, but I can't wait to see what my own outfit looks like. It will be quite unusual, won't it? Very few girls get to become baronesses at the moment they come of age."

"That's true, milady. Of course, the boys are always becoming Dukes or Counts or Barons but that's different. As you mentioned to His Highness, he just wears his best clothes and he looks like the fine young man he is. A girl, though, with new responsibilities... I don't remember it happening at all before."

"No. Kendar was telling me that it's about a hundred and twenty years since it last happened, when King Brexen the Third had no sons but three daughters. He wanted to make sure they were properly provided for, so he made them Duchesses in their own right. Of course, having done that, his third wife promptly gave him an heir, so it all became a little awkward. I hope that's not going to happen in my case."

"You are not the Queen's born daughter, milady, only adopted. And you are already legally the Baroness."

"I may have the title now but I only take possession of my lands and begin my responsibilities next week." She smoothed the nightgown into position. "Yet more things to worry about."

"You have plenty of willing helpers, milady," Jenet said. "Remember that."

"How can I forget? And I guess I'm going to need all of them, aren't I? I've started something big I can't finish on my own, that's for sure."

"As you say, milady. Good night."

"Good night, Jenet."

up
373 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The touchiness of a Queen

I can't fault The Queen, and it appears neither does Garia, the training goes well and advances continue to accrue to the benefit of all Palarand. But the soon to be trip, continues to hang over the heads, unknown to all the dangers that await the unwary. Hopefully the guards will be up to the task of protecting both the royal family, and the Baroness Blackstone from Yod and their evil minions. of course Garia might just do some very brave and remarkable deed that changes the dynamic of "the rules" and changes again the dynamic of Palarand even more, hopefully to the benefit of all. I do so hope that the rails that are decided for the railroad, are not some narrow gauge, lacking future utility that a wide two stride gauge would, and I hope that if a design for steam boats comes about, it is a rear paddle wheel design, not side paddles, which make docking more difficult. Also I pray to live long enough to see this wonderful story come to a fulfilling completion. Good work, my hopes for your continued success.

Draflow

Keep in mind that there are

Keep in mind that there are _reasons_ for having multiple gauges. For example, the Durango/Silverton ran on narrow gauge because of the elevation, and that it was a mining train.

Wide gauge rails are better for heavy cargo over minimal elevation.

The problems we had in the US (and elsewhere) were because of every train company having their own standard for a while, until they settled on one common standard. You had to stop and unload the cargo, then reload it on the new company's own cars, rather than just trading cars :)

Heck, even model trains had/have that problem. We have three train sets at home, spanning a 70 year period or so, and they're three separate gauges.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Narrow gauge

Quite often narrow gauge can cope with heavy loads - in the UK it was quite often used in mining to transport the materials over hilly terrain - the still extant Vale of Rheidol railway clings to a hillside as it ferries passengers from Aberystwyth to Devil's Bridge (Pontarfynach).

No doubt in time, with experimentation, they'll work out the most appropriate gauge(s) to use for their own needs, settling on the best compromise between width (bigger loads, more difficult to take through hilly terrain) and narrowness (smaller loads, easier to take through hilly terrain).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Narrow gauge works well on

Narrow gauge works well on inclines because it reduces the area necessary to put the rails in place. Mining/ore cars are lower to the ground and narrower. heavy rail cars are wide and tall, requiring far more turning radius and footprint.

*shrugs*

The main point is to pick a gauge for a purpose, and STICK to it. Mining cars almost never hit mainstream transport rails, and mainstream transport containers don't have much point hitting mining rails :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

There was another reason for

There was another reason for narrow gage, lack of width to run the train. Some of the cliff sides had no room for a normal guage railway. Or lack of man power to do anything about it.

Mark

Main reason

erin's picture

Probably the main reason for narrow gauge rail was turning radius in rough terrain; short cars on narrow gauge track can turn much more sharply.

Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Cost was also important

The wider the wheelbase, the wider the trackbed had to be, and the larger tunnels had to be. In the UK, the 7 foot wide Great Western Railway spent twice as much for a mile of track as companies building the 4 foot 8 1/2 standard gauge.

A comment from 8 yrs on

Since noone else mentioned it that I have seen, I shall comment on steamboats - sidewheels vs sternwheelers.

While I acknowledge the ease of docking a sternwheeler compared to a sidewheeler, there is another factor to consider - maneuverability. A sidewheeler is far more maneuverable than a sternwheeler. With each paddlewheel independently driven or powered a sidewheeler can almost turn on a dime (so to speak). This was a useful ability on the Missouri/Mississippi rivers, and the same would be true on Anmar. What was dryland one day could become the main course of a river the next day. The ability to quickly change course is a valuable trait that kept many sidewheelers from becoming landlocked by the river with no way out.

It seems the ideal bost would mount both designs, main propulsion from the sternwheel and maneuvering from the sidewheelers. I have no idea if this was tried on the Mississippi but it would be an idea to try on Anmar.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Sidewheelers

Actually, sidewheelers, if built right for the intended river/lake, can be designed to "walk" across sandbars using the paddles as real wheels. I have read somewhere that it has got ships out of trouble several times.

Can't do that with a rear wheeler, of course, but the opposite is true: a rear-wheeler can be built with a much shallower draft to go over the sandbanks in the first place.

As you might expect, there were design wars between the two camps, until screw designs proved more efficient than either kind of paddler.

Penny

I really like this story, one

I really like this story, one interesting chapter follows another.

I wonder about the industrial revolution and how it'll influence society. I read Marx Communist Manifesto today and he had a point about how the burgeois replaced the feudalist society of the early modern age. I get the impression that the society at the "new" world is what europe has been in the early middle age. So they jump like 1700 years of technological history at once. I wonder, will the feudal lords be able to keep control over the productive kapital or will they loose economic and political power to the tradesmen?
If I was them I'd try to avoid introducing capitalism and built a state controlled industrial economy like the communists tried to do. That way they'll be able to keep their power and progress the society on their own terms.

On the other hand we have the antagonistic city state who might force their hand.

thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

I don't think so; keep in

I don't think so; keep in mind that one of the most stable forms of government _is_ a hereditary monarchy. The throne of England, with minor burps, has been pretty much stable for 1500 years. It's always useful to have a single rallying point during times of crisis.

Representative monarchy might be the best form, with a body that is more ephemeral, but with the long term family stability. When you're looking eight generations down the road, you can take a longer view than a single male that just wants to make some money and run.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Um, i don't know...

Well, actually I think the english monarchy is one of the youngest in europe. Although most on continental europe have been send to the fishes. I mean wasn't there a period where they killed the king and sort of made a republic/dictatorship?

Anyway, they don't have a absolutistic monarchy like in the early modern times, but a real feudal society. The dukes have power. They're not just accessoires at the royal court. So the government is more distributed than it was in absolutistic france before the revolution.
Everyone in the aristocracy will want to profit from the industrial revolution, so it ought to change the way it is implemented. It's not just a king who wants his taxes paid, there are barons who may very well start to fear the power tradesmen and production kapital owners will gain from it - rightfully so.

Power

Technically, the UK monarchy is one of the oldest, as the Kings and Queens can all trace their lineage back through each other all the way. You're right that Charles I got topped by Parliament, that's because the Commons managed to accumulate enough power to object to the autocratic decisions he was making. James II was removed a similar way, although that was over the Protestant/Catholic differences and he was exiled, not executed.

In Palarand presently there has begun to be a move away from pure feudalism towards a more mixed society: there is a merchant class and they are becoming richer. Yes, the nobles are still effectively the law, but as the population grows they realise (most of them, anyway) that antagonizing people who could overrun you in a day isn't perhaps the best idea. The governers essentially govern by the consent of those ruled. Public opinion in any society is a powerful thing, and not to be ignored (see: Syria).

I haven't really thought about the political implications of what's to come as a result of Garia's presence here. Working out the technical implications is hard enough :P I would guess, however, that eventually we'd see some sort of combination of those systems we know and love: perhaps a constitutional monarchy, perhaps a Constitution/Bill of Rights, perhaps some kind of Socialism Lite like European countries, I don't know. As I say, I haven't gone there.

Penny

They certainly have a chance

They certainly have a chance to 'do it right', even if Garia's memories of european history are terrible; basic US history covers the seperation of the US from England, the Spanish, French, and Portuguese colonial fights, the French Revolution, the overthrow of the Tsar, and the rise of the Soviet Empire.

There are other monarchies in Europe - I think Sweden still has their monarchy, which goes back a long way. They just lost most of their momentum due to Gustav Adolf being killed in the 1600's. :)

My point simply was that families look further than faceless drones, when it comes to things like businesses, and what's more of a business than an entire nation. Personal possessiveness isn't always a bad thing.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I do hope a way can be found.

I will confess that I am a spoiled, shameless happy ending brat. I can envision this story lasting for a goodly number more chapters, but eventually I hope she and Keren are wed.

I am seeing this story on a scale equal with "The Lord of The Rings", or larger. O:)

Gwendolyn

Well said

I like a happy ending too, and I'm sure that's what we'll get. The bit between now and then, though, could get tricky...

I hope I'll finish this quicker than J R R Tolkien finished his, though. Didn't he start it during WWI and finish it in the early 50's?

No, I'm not contemplating a 'Bike' style production. Although, come to think of it, if I'd chopped this into Bike-sized chunks, I'd be in the mid-200's by now...

Penny

We haven't been told

...what those rules governing the succession are, more exactly. Nor have we been told why they are in place, and who would be offended by them breaking them. At least, I don't recall the answer anywhere if we have. But most likely, I would expect that it's in that alliance of the countries of the valley, that the princes marry princesses from the other countries and vice versa. So, Palarand's military and political stability in the valley is probably hinged on that. Maybe the appropriate pairing for Keren has already been decided long ago, or at least wheedled down to just a handful. Also remember that the prince is coming of age soon. When the winds of war are blowing, wouldn't that give the perfect political opportunity to seal a military alliance, and help provide for the succession in a war where a single heir is at risk?

Succession

It has been more or less described, although not in so much detail. Your summary is about correct. The basic idea is that those who are about to become rulers must marry outside their own countries/states, in order to tie everybody down with alliances by marriage.

The whole point of the story is that no-one has yet been found to match Keren. It would seem that he has been presented in the past with a number of candidates, who for one reason or other have been deemed unsuitable. He's a sort of 'hot ticket', in that anyone who marries him gets to be Queen, but having exhausted all the obvious choices Robanar and Terys are faced with looking further afield. Terys, remember, came herself from a country a long way up-river, so such things are possible. I don't think the locals would take to someone who was blatantly 'foreign', though, judging by the experience of European monarchies.

Penny

Somewhere Else Entirely -47-

Yet again, Garia causes a change

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not much of a comment...

LibraryGeek's picture

Look! Another chapter of Somewhere Else Entirely! Yay! And there was much rejoicing, yeppers there was!

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Cake today ...

and cake tommorrow. A rare diet indeed but a tasty one.

Can't wait for the next tasty morsel or the one after that and so on it seems ad-infinitum.

A veritable feast Penny and I feel I am at one of the best tables. Now; where's pudding.

Thoroughly enjoying this story and looking forward to developments with no little anticipation.

Thanks for the pleasure.

Bev.

XZXX

bev_1.jpg

What We Call Ordinary Things

joannebarbarella's picture

The Bit, the Horse Collar and Stirrups revolutionised medieval civilisation. The bit made steering and control much easier and the stirrups allowed a rider to use both hands free of the reins, e.g. to handle weapons as in a lance and a shield at the same time.

But the horse collar doubled the agricultural productivity...the pulling power...of the horse. Before this a horse could pull about five times as much as a man but ate five times as much too. The horse collar doubled the pulling power without increasing the food intake.

Garia may miss the significance of the collar (I'm assuming that they could be used with frayen too) because horses were no longer used much for heavy agricultural tasks in the Earth environment from which she came.

The sociological niceties of dynastic political marriages are still with us, but the theory that political alliances could be perpetuated by this means was thoroughly discredited a hundred years ago when the First World War was fought between nations whose rulers were closely linked by bloodlines and intermarriage. There ain't nothing like a family feud.

I'm still in the camp that hopes our authoress will find a solution to the Garia/Keren conundrum,

Joanne

Meanies!

terrynaut's picture

Wah! I can't believe the king asked Keren and Garia to give their word that nothing will happen in the future. And they agreed! That's just... mean! So cruel. *sigh*

I'm going to be swooning all night in my dreams tonight. Hmph!

But thanks and kudos anyway. Snep saved the day.

- Terry

Great story! This is

Great story! This is definitely one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing how Keren & Garia work out their relationship and how Garia continues to adapt to her new life.

Keep up the great work. :D

Mark

Penny; You may take as long

Penny; You may take as long as you desire to complete this wonderful book. Add as many chapters as you can and this story will rival the beaty of Tolkin.

alissa

Brat

I confess I am a happy ending brat also I want Garia and Keren married. Hopefully something happens on the trip to change things.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Still needs a chill pill

Jamie Lee's picture

Unless the woman is an Amazon, she can't match the overall strength of a man. But Garia has proven she doesn't have too and is now learning another way it does not have to happen.

If she can become extremely proficient with the two defense swords, then she will be able to once again to use the attackers own momentum against them and deal a deadly blow.

Terys really needs to take a chill pill, for Garia and Keren have given their word that nothing occurs between. And by constantly questioning their being alone she is insulting them and the affirmation they have given.

Penny made a comment that Keren must marry outside their state and country. Um...isn't Earth outside their state and country?

Others have feelings too.

Outside?

Yes Karen must marry outside of Palarand, mostly in order to (hopefully) reduce the tensions among the valley states via them being bound together by ties of blood. Of course we Earthlings know how well that worked in Europe, don't we? So in a way Garia is too far out of the country as she brings no potential alliance.
In one way a person can't blame the queen. She is trying to protect both Karen and Garia... Karen in case a political marriage becomes a necessity and Garia, one supposes that the queen cares for her at least somewhat.