The Archivist

Printer-friendly version

The Archivist

I am the Archivist. My sole reason for existing is to observe and record what happens on your planet earth and its nearby galaxies. I am forbidden to interfere. In this, I fulfill my purpose.

This record begins 46 earth years ago. This is but the span of but a single breath for Archivists, but is half a lifetime for Terra’s dominant species. The subject of this record goes by more than one title. The subject goes by Edward, but also Alice. They go by Daddy, but also daughter. This subject has grabbed my attention.

She has lived a less than friendly life. She lost her father when she was very young. Then she had a horrible man take advantage of her vulnerability. This record is missing a few minutes of history, just two weeks before Alice never saw that man again. Suddenly, her step father felt the desire to move and leave the horrible man behind forever.

For many years after this, I was content to just observe. All things were in my sight, but only she did I watch. But then something happened that started a very fast downward spiral. A patient in the mental hospital that Alice worked at became violent. He pushed her into a wall, and she responded. She shoved him back, causing the patient to break a shoulder against the door. She was fired from her job two days later.

There are no more holes in this record, but another girl of half as many years has a gap of a full day. I adjusted this girl’s path so that she would enter the life of my Alice.

It took a year and a half, but eventually the two came together. A thousand miles (that is a lot for humans) and twenty years separated them, but they soon became best friends. And, just as i hoped, I watched Alice’s decline slow. Then I watched her become stronger and stronger. She expressed actual happiness for the first time. She was alive.

But, I have twice broken the sole law of the Archivist. I have interfered where I was meant to observe. The punishment is clear, and this will be my final record. I have already chosen my successor.

***

My name used to be Alice and Edward and Daddy and Daughter. But no longer.

I am the new Archivist. My sole reason for existing is to observe and record what happens on your planet earth and its nearby galaxies. I am forbidden to interfere. In this, I fulfill my purpose.

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm not sure what to think

I'm not sure what to think about this... Who would pant to be a being who's only duty, possibility is to watch?

Strange story,
thank you for writing,
Beyogi