The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 24

Printer-friendly version

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 24
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Chapter 1 - Rachel.

Naomi and Rachel walked some more. Even though it was icy cold outside, Naomi was used to it because of her job. Rachel didn't seem bothered, either, because she was deep in thought.

"A penny for your thoughts, sis."

"Naomi, what is an enigma?"

"An enigma is something that is difficult to understand; something that reason cannot understand. It is like a jig saw puzzle. It is difficult to put together. With what the doctor learned about you, today, that is exactly what is happening. She said your blood work showed an elevated level of estrogens. Males have estrogen in their bodies too, but only a very small amount for hormone balance. Women have testosterone in their bodies, but only a very small amount for hormone balance.

"But, in you sis, your estrogen levels are way up there with mine and every other female on the planet. I think the MRI she is going to order, is a good thing. See, sis, when you are in the MRI tube, they give you these little ear plugs, because it gets really noisy in the tube. You can still hear the noise, but it is muffled. It sounds something like someone using a jack hammer, but off in the distance.

"So, we have to wait and see what is going on inside of you. Until then, sis, I want you to enjoy yourself, and be happy. I want you to look at the snow; I want you to build a snowman; I want you to have a snowball fight; I want you to get involved with the other girls when they are doing things. Ask them if they need any help, and help them as best as you can. The doctor said she doesn't think there is any danger waiting until after Christmas, but if anything really bad happens with your body; fainting, uncommon bleeding, headaches that won't go away, chest pain, or pain anywhere on your body that your sisters or house parents can't explain away; anything, you have whoever is on duty call 911, and Dr. Nita said she will meet you at the hospital. But, sis, I am going to be here, even if they have to call me in the middle of the night. I have talked to my supervisor, and he said he understands why I need to go quickly when I am call to come to you."

"Naomi, did Dr. Nita say what is happening to me?"

"No, she said that she is going to run tests to see why you have elevated estrogens instead of testosterone. You have...are starting to get a figure, and you're not even on HRT."

"What is that?"

"It means, hormone replacement therapy. Older women who have gone through menopause are placed on a regimen of estrogen compounds to make up for the estrogens they have lost through the menopause. Transsexuals are placed on HRT to replace the natural estrogens with the estrogens of the gender they are tranistioning into. Rach, the internet is a wonderful tool, if you know how to use it wisely. I want you to go to the computer lab here, and look up this website." Naomi handed her a piece of paper that had www.tsroadmap.com written on it. "You look that up, and read what it says. There is a lot of information there, so you have to take it slowly, so you understand what transsexuals do on their journeys to become the gender they need to be. This isn't an absolute, but just a guide, so you know the route to take to your final destination. That is why they call it a road map, because it maps out the roads transsexuals travel to their final destination. I talked with a few post operative transsexuals; that means transsexuals that have had their surgeries and are now outwardly physical female, or male in the case of females going through transition.. They tell me that the road doesn't end with the surgeries, but it is only the beginning of your life as a woman. They told me, and I can tell you personally, that womanhood is a very intricate existence. Our daily lives are filled with one quest after another. It is a very rewarding existence, too."

"Naomi, will the doctor be able to help fix whatever is going on with me?"

"Yes, sis, and if she can't do it herself, she will have her colleagues that do know how, help her. Let's go to the house and ask daddy if you, Sheryl, Brooke and Connie can come with me to our new house."

"Why did you just say, 'our new house'?"

"Because, you are all my sisters, and you have just as much right in that house as everybody that is there right now. Rach, you aren't used to kindness, because all of your life you have been told things that were wrong by your father. Now you are seeing that what he said was wrong, and what you did was wrong. But, this conflict is not easily done away with. It is going to take several counseling sessions, for you to be able handle your PTSD.

"What is PTSD?"

"It means post traumatic stress disorder. In other words, you have had some kind of trauma in your life, and now it is catching up to you. When that happens, it makes you sad; it makes you think about things you wouldn't otherwise be thinking about."

"Like what, sis? Like maybe suicide?"

"Yes. A lot of young people have committed suicide because they couldn't cope with their PTSD. That is because, even though they had family and friends, kind of, nobody wanted to take the time to help these young people out. This is another reason why I am here for you, too."

Naomi stopped, and stood in front of Rachel. She lifted Rachel's chin, so she could look her in the eyes.

"I want you to know, little sister, that no matter how much things are bothering you, you call me, even if it is just to talk. A lot of young people commit suicide because nobody took the time to talk, or at least listen. You not only have me, but your sisters, daddy, Jan, mom, Hazel. I understand you can even talk to Ms. Wells, too. So, no matter how troubled you are, no matter how many times these thoughts come up, you dial N for Naomi." Rachel hugged Naomi as the tears started flowing. "Let's get you inside before those tears freeze." Rachel giggled. "Now, see, that is what I was talking about. I said something funny and you giggled. That is what it takes sometimes to calm someone down, but the funny whatever has to be timely, too."

Rachel wiped the tears from her eyes, as they walked in the house. Rachel went in the living room and sat down, while Naomi went in the office to talk with Jack Olsen, the house father.

"I don't see why they can't go with you, Naomi. I want to share this, though. The ultra sound showed no female organs in Rachel's body."

"Looks like the doctor is going to have to order the MRI, after all," Naomi said, bewildered by the ultra sound findings. "Well, I had better round up the girls and get going. We are just down the road in the old Connors place." Jack Olsen acknowledged that he knew where it was. Naomi then asked Rachel to go and get her sisters that were going with.

Connie, Brooke, Sheryl, Rachel, and Caroline Twitter, left for the new house just down the road. When they got there, the movers from Forest City were there and moving the furniture in to the house. Gloria and Ruth were busy telling the movers what went where, and Sandi, Mandy and Renée were busy getting the kitchen organized.

When Naomi and girls went in the house, Rachel asked where Renée was, and was told she was in the kitchen. When Rachel went in the kitchen, Renée had her back to the door. Rachel put her finger to her mouth telling Mandy and Sandi not to say anything. Rachel walked up behind Renée and lightly poked her in the sides.

Renée jumped and let out a yelp. When she saw Rachel, the two girls hugged for a few minutes. Then Renée sensed there was something wrong with Rachel.

"Sis, what's wrong? You have that far away look in your eyes."

"I saw the new doctor today. She said I have elevated estrogen levels in my body, and she even had an ultra sound done, but it didn't show anything. She said after Christmas she wants me to go to University hospitals in the capitol, to have more tests done and an MRI. She called me an enigma and said she wants to find out why I don't have any female parts, but yet I have a high voice, a figure, somewhat, my mother's face, and my walk is getting more pronounced. Sis, I...I don't...know...know how...to...to...to deal...with...that. Not to mention, too, that now and then I have these pains in my tummy. I become emotional, irritable, and my jeans seem tighter at those times, too."

"That sounds an awful lot like menstrual cramps, Rachel," Mandy added. "The reason your jeans seem tighter at those times, is because you are bloated. That happens to a lot of us when we have our periods. You said the ultra sound didn't show any female parts, but yet the doctor said you have high estrogen levels?"

"Yes, she said I have the same amount of estrogen in me as most girls."

"Then the doctor is right, you are an enigma. I hope when you go to University hospitals, they can sort all this out."

"I am hoping that, too, Mandy. It will be interesting to see why my body is the way it is."

"For sure, young lady."

Mandy heaved a sigh, and asked Rachel if she wanted to help them.

"Yes, I would love to help."

"Then help Renée and Sandi. I am going to go and see if the dining room table is set up, yet."

When Mandy came back in the kitchen, she asked the girls if they would set the table for lunch.

"The table and chairs are set up, and we have all the dishes, flatware, pots and pans. The fridge is here, and the food is being put away. What should we have for lunch, ladies?"

"Well, we have the lunch meat out, and the cole slaw. How does that sound? We could have lunch meat sandwiches, cole slaw and milk for us and coffee for the adults."

"Coffee, yes...where exactly is the coffee maker?" Renée asked.

"I guess it is still packed, yet," Mandy added. "Oh well, we can have milk, too. I hear it is good for you." The girls giggled.

"Well, it hasn't harmed us, yet," Rachel said, smiling.

"Instead of setting the table, Mandy, we can use the paper plates and plastic cups. This way we won't have any dishes to wash."

"That is a very good idea, Renée. Use the plastic forks, knives and spoons, too. This way, we can toss everything when we are done eating."

"Right, Mandy."

The girls got out the lunch meat and placed it on paper saucers, along with the bread and margarine. Nobody used butter because of the cholesterol and fat content. When everything was placed on the dining room table, Renée saw Connie and told her to tell the others that lunch was ready.

Naomi looked at the hard working movers, and invited them to join the family for lunch. At first they said they couldn't intrude, then one of them said it was against company policy. When Naomi said nobody would tell on them, another mover said they had their lunch in the trucks.

"Listen, you guys spent most of the night and all morning loading the trucks, and now you are emptying them. You guys need sustenance, now get your bottoms over here and have something to eat."

"Are you always this pushy?"

"Only when I have to be."

"I bet. I'm Dan, this is Steve, that's Mark and over there is Joe."

"It is nice to meet you. Do you all live in Forest City?"

"No, me and Steve live in Sheffield, about thirty minutes from Forest City. Joe is from Seven Pines, and Mark lives in Forest City. We all work for Mayflower, and there are times when we have to move someone across the country. We then stay at the hotel our company has a contract for, and we move people while we are there. Then when there is someone moving towards Forest City, they call us so we can go home. We get to see a lot of the country."

"I was raised in Sheffield. What is your last name?"

"Seiffert."

"Mine is Petersen."

"I knew a Naomi Petersen, that used to live down the street. Nice girl, too. Always taking wounded animals home so she could fix them up." Naomi just stood there and smiled, because now she recognized Dan. He was the boy who was always telling Naomi she would make a good vet.

"What would you say, Dan, if I told you that I am Naomi?"

"Nah, I would know if ..." Dan looked at Naomi again, and all of a sudden a light bulb went off in his head. "Wow, you, uhm, sure have, uhm, grown. I didn't recognize you without a stray animal in your arms." Naomi giggled.

"It is good to see you, again, Dan. I'm a deputy sheriff sergeant for Pine Meadows county. I train rookie deputies in hand to hand self defense."

"Wow, I would have thought you would have gone to veterinary school."

"I applied for deputy sheriff as soon as I graduated from high school. But, because I was under twenty one, they sent me to college when I told them I wanted to learn criminology. I told them it would help me in my work as a deputy, to better understand my job. When I got to state, there was a course being offered in tai chi. So I signed up for that. It took four years for me to learn this art, and become somewhat decent at it. But the techniques in tai chi are a little different than in tai kwon do. Tai chi incorporates the tai kwon do techniques, but it goes further. I have been working as a deputy in Alameda county for ten years."

"I had no idea. You always said you wanted to make a difference, so I naturally thought you would become a vet."

"Dan, I can make a difference as a deputy, too. There is a young lady I took to the Pine Meadows Home For Adolescent Girls a few days ago. I promised her I would come up and help her with what ever therapy programs they had for her. So, instead of making that trip up here three or more times a week, I decided to transfer departments. This way, I am close by if she needs me."

"From stray animals to stray children. Naomi, whoever marries you, will be the luckiest man in the world." Naomi gave Dan a friendly hug, and told him thank you.

"You are most welcome, Naomi. It was nice meeting you, again, but I think we need to get back to work."

"You know where I live, so don't be a stranger. Here is my cell number, no matter where you are or what you are doing, if you ever need to talk..."

"I know; I just dial N for Naomi."

Rachel and Renée looked at Naomi and Dan, with their mouths wide open. Apparently Naomi has used this saying even as a child. Renée whispered in Rachel's ear, then looked at Dan and Naomi.

"When you two love birds get married, I want to be a brides maid," Renée said, firmly.

"If and when I get married, Rachel will be my Maid of Honor, and you and the girls at the home, will be my bride's maids. This will be a wedding to beat all weddings, but I can't marry Dan, because the ring on his finger says he is already married. But, dear sisters, there is someone I am thinking of, and you know him, too."

Both girls leaned forward, and went..."Like who?"

"Oh, just somebody. He is interested in me, also, and we have a date coming up this week."

"Is he going to ask you to marry him?" Rachel asked, excitedly.

"I don't know, Rach, maybe."

"Naomi, have you ever been married?"

"No, Renée. I never found the time."

"When you get married, Naomi, can I be best man?"

"I will have to ask him, when we have our date. I think he already has someone in mind. But, I can send you an invitation for you and your family to attend."

"Wait!" Rachel exclaimed. "It's Trooper O'Donnell. I bet it is."

"What makes you think that, Rach?"

"By the way he looks at you, and does things for you. He is in love with you, sis, I know he is."

"Maybe it is someone else I met."

"No, sis, it is Trooper O'Donnell. You two are going to make a very good husband and wife team."

"Naomi, we have to finish getting the rest of the things out of the trucks, and then be going. It was nice seeing you again."

"Likewise, Dan."

Naomi, Rachel and Renée cleared the things off of the dining room table, and took it all in the kitchen. The lunch meat was put away and the plates and plastic ware was tossed in the garbage. Naomi looked around the kitchen, and said everything looked perfect. The only thing they needed to find was the coffee maker.

They went out in the living room, and found the guys placing the last of the end tables by the recliner, the sofa, and the setée.

"That is the end of it, Naomi," Dan said, with a wide smile. "You take care.

"Dan, before you go, I am inviting you and your family up here this summer for cookouts. Don't give me the excuse that you will be working, either. I am giving you enough of a warning, so you can come up for the first cookout, say, Memorial Day. Renée's father will be doing the grilling, and we will be serving the drinks, and making the side dishes. It will be nice and warm that day too, because it is the last Monday in May."

"Thank you, Naomi. I will have to tell my wife. You know her, too."

"Oh?"

"Yes, Carol Egan. We have been married for almost eight years."

"OMG! How is she?"

"She," Dan laughed, slightly, "is pregnant with our second child."

"Well, you tell her I said congrats, and she can call me, too, any time, even when I am working."

"I will do exactly that. Take care, Naomi." They hugged and Dan and the other movers left.

"Why didn't you marry him, sis? He's a hunk."

"Rachel Eileen Watkins! What would you know about hunks?"

Rachel turned about fifty shades of red, all at the same time.

"I was just saying, sis, that if I was old enough, I would not hesitate in keeping him for myself."

"Rach, just how long have you been a girl?"

"Whenever I could be. I put on a tough act at school so others wouldn't bully me. But that is all it was, was an act."

"Even when you hit me in the mall?"

"Even at the mall. I didn't want people to think I was weak."

"You know, Rach," Naomi stated, matter of factly. "It takes more strength to walk away from trouble than it takes to start trouble. If people think you are weak because you walk away from trouble, then they don't know very much about life. You are coming along just fine here, sis. I am very proud of the way you are handling yourself."

"Thank you, sis."

"Rach, I forgave you because I know you aren't a bad person. I see that now. But there were times when I wished you would be taught a lesson. Then when you ended up here, and you just seemed to fit right in, I was at a loss to understand what was really going on.

"At first, I thought it was just a put on, so the girls would leave you alone, but the more I got to see you, I actually saw a girl. Naomi, I and our sisters are here to help you become the girl you really need to be." Renée gave Rachel a big hug.

"Renée, let me ask you. How long have you been a girl?"

"Well, I guess I have been a girl all of my life. People always called me miss, and referred to me as a girl. That day in the hallway, when you kissed me, Mr. Hastings said, "you girls get to your homerooms". He was talking to me and Sandi. Even Mr. Hastings treated me as a girl. Sandi said if I were a girl, then nobody could pick on me for being girl like because that is what I would be.

"When I went home that day after school, Sandi went with me, and when I asked my parents what they thought, they said it was what they had always wanted. My little brother and sister even said I was more of a big sister than a brother. So, here I am. Now, I am an honorary sister and your BFF." Rachel and Renée hugged again. "You never have to worry about what you did to me, because that wasn't you; it was someone masquerading as you. In fact, sister of mine, we aren't BFFs, we are BGFFs; best girlfriends forever."

Naomi just watched the two bond. What Renée just told Rachel was so true. They were best girlfriends forever. Naomi also thought that too, some people need a slight push to be themselves. Sandi gave Renée that push and judge Reynolds gave Rachel that push. Naomi thought that if Rachel could put the past behind her, she would be happier and wouldn't need to worry about what people thought of her.

Actually, Naomi thought, Rachel passes very well for a girl. Maybe this is who she was all along, but was afraid to show her true self. Well, the reason is now behind bars, and he is in a psychiatric hospital for observation for the next three and a half weeks.

"Well, ladies, what say we join the others and talk about what we are going to do with the things we don't have any room for?"

They all went in the living room, and saw Gloria, Ruth and Mandy placing this piece of furniture there, and that piece of furniture here, and another piece over there. Gloria stood back with her two friends and looked at the living room.

"Well, ladies, what do you think?"

"It looks good. It has only..."

"It has only taken you three hours to get it the way it is now. How long will it be before you change it around?"

"No, uhm, Naomi, we just wanted to make sure that every piece of furniture we needed, actually fit in the space we have."

Naomi put her hand by her mouth to stifle a giggle. She thought that this summer, these three would be at it again. But, she thought, it is good to have a different view every now and then, because it keeps from seeing the same old boring setup.

"Yes, Gloria, I can understand that."

"How long did it take you three to do the kitchen?"

"Well, it really didn't take long, but after talking with the movers, and Rachel and Renée talking with each other, about two and half hours."

"Right."

"Alright, ladies, conference time."

Naomi, Gloria, Ruth and Mandy went in the dining room and sat down. Rachel and Renée went upstairs with the girls to listen to cd's. Naomi started the conversation.

"What took so long in the kitchen, is Rachel and Renée have been bonding. Renée told Rachel that they weren't BFFs but they BGFFs...best girlfriends forever. I let them bond, because Rachel is still feeling guilty for the bad things another person in her body did. She has to learn that this something she really had no control over, because this other person was being told one lie after another by a bigot who is finally going to get his come uppance.

"Renée and Rachel have become very close ever since Rachel has allowed her true self to come out. I know these two are going to make very good sisters."

"Naomi," Ruth interjected, "why didn't Rachel show me this side of her, before?"

"Because of your husband, I suspect. I never met him, but he sounds like someone who time warped from the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries. I don't know what it is with men who have been in the Marines, but they seem so gung-ho even after they leave the Marines."

"Well, Scott told me that he went in the Marines, because he wanted to be able live by their standards. He said the Marines have a certain standard that the army, navy and air force don't have. But, he has become a different person from when we first met. When he lost his temper after I told him what the police did, I was very afraid for not only myself but for him, too. He didn't seem to understand you don't tell the police who they can arrest and who they can't. Now his bigotry has gotten him in more trouble than he will be able to handle." Naomi just nodded in understanding.

"Well, Rachel has come a long way in just five days. Christmas is just around the corner, and after Christmas, Dr. Garcia wants Rachel to go to University hospitals for testing and an MRI. She found a few puzzling things during Rachel's physical. For one ting, Ruth, Rachel has a normal amount of estrogen in her system...for a girl. Her hips are more round, her face is feminine, and her voice is high. I don't know if she knows this or not, but when she walks, her hips wiggle. I had asked Dr. Garcia if she could be intersexed, but she said not in the way we understand intersex to be."

"So, what exactly are you saying, Naomi?"

"Ruth, Rachel may have been Rachel for years. Has she ever shown a feminine side, say, when she was younger?"

"Not that I re...wait! There was the time my husband caught her wearing a girl's dress in her room. Scott yelled so loudly, I thought he was going wake the dead up. When Scott came storming down the stairs, I asked him what was wrong, and all he said was, I will not hit the boy, I will not hit the boy. I kept asking him several times what was wrong, and he didn't say anything.

"I finally went upstairs to see what was going on, and I saw Rachel sitting on her bed, wearing the dress. I sat down next to her, and asked her why was she wearing the dress. All she told me was, that it felt so right. I never thought about it after that, because a few weeks later, I was getting phone calls from the school, saying Rachel was bullying a girl. When I told Scott about it, he just laughed and said, 'that's m'boy.' So, I was at a loss of what to do. Scott was no good for Rachel, and when he threw me against the wall, I knew it was over, and Rachel and I needed to start our own lives."

"Does Rachel remember that time she was caught by your husband?"

"I haven't asked her, but I think it was the turning point. See, up until then, Rachel was very nice and listened to what we said. But after that day, things became very dark for Rachel."

"I see." Naomi looked toward the stairs with a smirk on her face. "All right, girls, you may stop listening and come down."

"Naomi, how did you know they were listening?"

"We were girls once, too. I kind of figured, since I didn't hear any music playing, that they were listening. But that is a good thing, though. Rachel, do you remember that day?"

"Yes, my dad was so mad, I thought he was going to hit me for sure. When he didn't I just sat on my bed thinking, when mom came in my room."

"Well, what do you think, now?"

"Now I can be me without my father telling me things that aren't true. I was really mixed up there for quite a while. It actually took coming here to see how bad things really were. So I had to make sure those things never happen again. When my sisters all accepted me the first night I came here, I was beside myself. I was so used to dad ordering me around, and mom trying to run interference. Now I can see that what I did when I was somebody else, was wrong."

"What do you think you need to do, so that that other person doesn't come back?"

"I need to be me, Rachel Eileen Watkins. I need to act like a lady all the time, and I need to make sure that I can be there for my sisters when they need me. It is going to take all of this time of being in the home, to be able to deal with the problems that I have because of how I was told to live. I see that kind of life was wrong. Naomi, I definitely would not like to be bullied."

"There is another movie I like very much, too, called Flower Drum Song. In that movie James Shigeta tells Benson Fong that he has been a fool. Benson Fong tells him 'knowing you are a fool, is the beginning of wisdom.' That is the same with you, too, Rach. Knowing what you have done is wrong, is the beginning of wisdom." Naomi knew that Rachel is going to need a lot of help to pull her out of the well she has fallen in to. Naomi was ready to help in any way she could.

Chapter 2 - Christmas.

It has been four days since Rachel's dad beat her mother and was taken to jail. Today, they were going to go and get a tree for the house. There was slim pickin's though, because all of the good trees had been gone for at least two weeks. But Naomi wasn't giving up. With Rachel, Renée, Mary, Betty, and Ginger from the home, they all set about looking for the right tree. Naomi stopped at a lot that looked like it had a lot of trees left. They all got out of the SUV and started looking for the right tree. In the middle, almost, of the lot, Betty spied a tree that full, and still had its needles. She called to the girls and Naomi, and they all went and looked at the tree.

A man, old enough to be Naomi's father, came out. His silver hair and white beard almost made him look like Santa Claus.

"May I help you ladies?"

"Yes," Naomi answered. "We would like this tree, please."

"A good choice. This is blue spruce, and will out last the holiday season, if it is cared for with TLC."

"We will take this one then."

The man took the tree in to the shed, and wrapped it in cellophane, so the branches wouldn't catch on anything, while it was tied on top of the SUV. The man noticed the sheriff's sticker on Naomi's SUV and smiled.

"There ya go, Miss. How far do you have to go with it?"

"I bought the old Connors place, so it isn't far."

"That is a good house. I hope you enjoy living here."

"Thank you. I'm Naomi, this is Renée, Rachel, Betty, Mary and Ginger."

"I know Ginger, Mary and Betty, but not the other two. Are they all from the home?"

"Just Rachel, Mary, Betty and Ginger are. Renée is Rachel's BGFF and lives with me along with her mother."

"Well, welcome to Pine Meadows county. My name is Jim, I run Jim's Harware Emporium in town."

"It is nice to meet you Jim."

"Same here. Enjoy the tree."

"Thank you."

They all got back in the SUV and headed back to the house. Once inside, Naomi called the house and asked if all the girls could come and help decorate. Madelline was already on duty, and she said she saw no reason why they couldn't. Madelline called the admin building and told them where they were going and that they may be gone for quite a while, because they had been invited to a Christmas decorating party.

When Madelline and the girls pulled up in the bus...that was marked only "School Bus", Rachel and the other girls came out to meet them.

"Mom," Rachel said, surprised to see her. "You didn't have to come along."

"Rachel, I am not going to miss helping my daughters decorate a Christmas tree. This will be the first Christmas tree this house has seen in a long time."

"Naomi, I think we should draw straws or something, and make sure all the girls get to decorate inside as well as outside."

"I agree, Maddy. Girls, settle down for a bit. We are going to put little pieces of paper in this bowl. Each one will say either inside or outside. You will decorate that part of the house that needs decorating. So, Maddy and I will write the papers, and place them in this bowl. Tomorrow is Christmas eve, and we want the house decorated by tomorrow afternoon. Sound like a plan, girls?" All the girls said yes together and sounded like the atomic bomb went off.

Madelline and Naomi set bout writing the little pieces of paper, and placed them in the bowl. Then Naomi held up above eye level so nobody could see where they would be decorating. When everybody had their assignments, the girls wasted no time in getting the decorations they needed for the house. I mean, after all, they decorated their own house, so they pretty much knew what they were doing.

There were red, blue and green lights separated by a string of white lights, then more red, blue and green. Debbie (Debra), Sheryl and Connie decorated the tree, while Renée and Rachel decorated the windows. Jenny, Mary, Sue and Deedee (short for Deirdre) decorated the around the ceiling at the top of the walls. Jordan and Dane handed the ornaments to Debbie, Sheryl and Connie, while Naomi put the lights upon the outside of the house with Ginger, Frannie (short for Frances), Brenda, Janice and Darlene. Shirley, Joy, Stephanie and Madelline worked in the kitchen to make different kinds of Christmas cookies, cakes and even donuts.

With everybody in the house it looked like the house in Yours, Mine and Ours with Henry Fonda, Lucille Ball and Van Johnson madein 1968. Everybody was busy doing the decorating, that it was over before they knew it. The girls working outside were frosty to say the least, and they needed to warm up. Madelline and Naomi organized a carol party by starting the first carol.

"The first Noel, the angels did say,
was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay," the girls joined in at that moment.
"In fields, as they lay, lay keeping their sheep,
on a cold winter's night that was so deep.
Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the king of Israel."

The girls were really getting into this, and Rachel was using the book that Naomi had given her to read from, so she could join in. When Naomi saw that Rachel was having a problem, she went over and stood by her.

"I will sing with you, Rach."

"Thank you, sis."

"This next one is easy. Just follow me."

"Said the night wind to the little lamb,
do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night,
with a tail as big as a kite,
with a tail as big as a kite."

They finished this carol, and Naomi saw Rachel was crying. She hugged Rachel and told her that nobody knows how to sing Christmas carols right the first time.

"Rach, it took me quite a while before I could sing these carols without help. It is going to be all right, sis, you'll see."

Sharon started the third carol by singing;

"Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
the little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head,
the stars in the bright sky looked down where he lay,
the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay."

After this carol, Madelline told everybody they were going to have warm cookies and hot cocoa. The girls all squealed and sat down on the sofas, setee's, chairs, and some even sat crossed legged on the floor.

As they ate their snack of gingerbread men and hot cocoa, they sang Jingle Bells.

"Jingle Bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse-open sleigh.
Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh,
o'er the fields we go, laughing all the way,
bells on bob-tail ring, making spirits bright,
oh what fun it is to ride and sing a sleighing song tonight.

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh.
Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way,
oh what fun it is to ride on a one-horse open sleigh."

Rachel was starting to get in to the whole melody thing, when Renée joined her and Naomi.

"Come on, sis, I will teach you the melody, then you can sing along using your book."

"All right, thank you, sis."

Renée went through each song, and showed Rachel the melody in each. The next carol was Frosty The Snowman, and Rachel had a problem at first, then got in to synch with the others. Rachel had a good singing voice because she practiced singing songs she heard on her radio.

When they were finished caroling, it was time to get dinner started. All the girls and Madelline were invited to stay for dinner, and sing more carols. Rachel noticed that Gloria and her mother were putting presents under the tree. She wondered who they were for. But, she thought, tomorrow is Christmas eve, and she gets to open one present. She just didn't know if she would get a good present or a lump of coal, because she had been so naughty during this year.

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Girl Most Likely To ... - Part 24

So much happening for Rachel, She is coming of age

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Rachel

It is difficult dealing with your own psyche after so much abuse. Rachel is just now feeling free for the first time in her young life. But there is always a thunderstorm or two on the horizon.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I'm really enjoying this series

Ole Ulfson's picture

Barbara,

I really enjoy how girls interact with each other, and I miss that from my childhood days. Boys, as we all know, are all about dominance. Though I didn't like fighting and pushing, I learned as a child how to defuse a lot of the roughness.

I'm really enjoying Rachel's story,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I feel for Rachel she has such a hard time

Renee_Heart2's picture

at least she is where she can get the help she needs very baddly & her family is colse buy as well as Naomi & the house parents, sisters, Ms. Well & Dr. Garcia. Its going to take the ALL to get Rachel through her emotional problems & medical as well.

I'm glad to see her & Renée are best girlfriends forever (& honary sister of the home but more importantly what I consider an adopted sister) Rachel may be a bit older that Renée but I think I consideder Renée the big sister.

Finding long lost friends is always nice & kind of catch up a bit.

As for Tpr. O'Donnell & Naomi I think they will be good for one another. With both in law enforcement they both know how long the hours can be & the stress that goes with the job so its good that they can relate to one another & help each deal with the pains of the job.

THe decorating Party was a nice touch Babra I liked how Namoi inviter the ENTIRE house over to help decorate her house that was VERYVERY generous of her.

As for christmas for Rachel I can understand her fears but as she said & others have said that was a nother person not Rachel Elain Watkins :) Rachel has been VERY good I don't think she needs to worry I'm sure she will have another Brak down & her mom & her BGFF & Namoi as well as ALL her sisters will be there for her as always :)

Love Samantha Renee Heart

There is nothing better at Xmas than -

Family and/or friends sharing their love so sincerely.

Times that will be remembered for the rest of their lives.

Regardless of how well they sang the carols!

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Presents

She just didn't know if she would get a good present or a lump of coal, because she had been so naughty during this year.

Rachel will be recieving a good present as it is her first real christmas.she was never naughty this year. That was an entirely different person who no longer legally exists. That person would be recieving the lump of coal.

Missed experiences

Jamie Lee's picture

Because Rachel didn't know the words to any of the Christmas carols it's with certainty Christmas with Scott was anything but merry. His macho attitude would have made sure any sentimental feelings during Christmas wouldn't have existed. After all, showing emotions isn't macho. It's human, but not macho.

Rachel might have been overwhelmed with all the girls and adults helping decorate the house for Christmas. Might have been had Naomi not been there as a calming force. But oh the fun they all had. And the coco, mmm.

Others have feelings too.