Started with a Prom Dress - 4 - Danica Stays

Printer-friendly version


Started with a Prom Dress - 4 - Danica Stays


By Jessica C

I got caught looking at prom dresses... And actually went to a prom as Danica... Denise text, "keep track of your monthly visitor. Mom Miller explains Denise’s reasoning... Dad and my brothers, not happy that I'm continuing as Danica...

=^_^=


Luckily for Danica, Mom's a strong-willed person and she knew by the second night I should have been there. She confronted her husband to find out what was happening and plainly said it was no time to divide the family. She stated she could use me when she got home the following day or the day after.

Mom says, “I have recently gotten to see her and be here as the daughter I never had. If Danica sees herself as a girl and daughter; I want to give her the chance to be a young woman and my daughter.”

“She is already known as our niece. I expect when this mood passes on, Carl will be back, so for now, that will be my compromise in her being at the house”

It was 6:00 pm. when I received the call Mom was in the hospital. I had been to school at Middlesex and had a good day with one exception. Learning Mom was in the hospital was the second. With Robert and Dawn’s help, I was to the hospital by 7; the coldness of my Dad and a brother suggested why I hadn't heard from them. Right now my focus was on loving and visiting Mom. We, as a family, usually did well in uniting at such times.

Mom said, "I should either be released tomorrow or the next day. And if you want, it would be okay if you would help as Danica, you could be of help to me."

"Mom how can I help you? You should already know I would love to."

"If you can stay a bit late tonight or come early tomorrow, a nurse can show you." I looked at Dawn and knew we could easily stay a half-hour after visiting hours.

While everyone was there, it came time for a nurse to check her. So the nurse excused others, "Danica your Aunt, and I would like you to stay and observe." I guess it made sense but it was different than I expected. I didn’t know there was a urinal designed for women. Nor had I known of the many scars or all her surgeries. She's beautiful despite the scars. I can’t believe that at such a sensitive time, I asked, “Do you think if I remain as Danica I could be as beautiful as you?”

Mom didn't answer me. "I doubt that you will enjoy this. There are more messy things to being a woman that you'll come to know in time. I like you being sensitive, but I don't expect you'll want to be a girl."

=^_^=


Dad said, “I hear you had a good day today with only one problem, what was that?”

“Dad it isn’t a big problem and I am sure you don’t want to hear about it anyway.” I knew dad would ask again and not back off but insist I tell him. “I am sure you really don’t want to hear it but if you insist. ...The guy who took me to the prom wouldn’t have anything to do with me today. He heard I need to date another guy before I can date him again.” I was right neither my Dad nor my brother wanted to know.

I say, "Brother if you need anything done for Friday or this weekend please make sure we know by Thursday. I will do what I can but I won’t be hassled and still be expected to be nice. And Judy, if there is anything I can do for you please let me know. If Mom can’t be at the promenade? I will get there and take some pictures of you for her. But I expect we will manage to get her there and back somehow."

Seemingly Judy accepted me as Danica and found me cute. I am not sure she believed I'm a niece or knew I was Carl. Drew was not angry with Judy, and I knew he didn’t like me talking to her. Judy shared they would stop at the house before going to the promenade.

Mom laughed and smiled and the nurse said that was sweet, so I guess it wasn’t so insensitive. Mom grabbed my hand, “You are going to be a beautiful person one way or the other. Come prom night nurse, you should have seen this young lady, I was jealous of her.”

Nurse Jennings replied, “So I guess she does take after you. I guess Danica if I weren’t trying so hard to instruct you I would have seen that.” She had me rub a skin cream over my mother’s back and massage it in. “Remember as in make-up a little can go a long way that you think.” She checked the drainage site and told me while the tube would be out, I needed to religiously check the area and make sure it was clean and not draining.

I was quite humbled that I would be checking my Mom and helping her like this. The nurse asked me, "What can you cook or do around the house?" There are only two of us left at home but each of my brothers and I learned to cook and do a lot around the house. The joke was we're all supposed to grow up and make some good woman a good wife as well as a husband. I ran across a list of what I could cook, "My Mom has a file of recipes for whatever we're to cook. It won't be the same but I can follow directions."

Nurse Jennings said, “You should call my little sister Mary Skipp and give her some lessons.”

I said, “You’re Mary’s sister, I knew she had a sister one or two years older but I didn’t know she had an older sister your age. I used to sit behind her. I love her long dark hair. I tried to be a friend but she was way too smart and pretty for me.”

The nurse said, “Yes, I am an antique, nine years older than her, and five years older than your oldest brother. I will need to doubly make sure I don’t speak about who I saw in the hospital. But if you ever do get to give her a lesson in cooking remind her you’re a niece and not a daughter… You can now tell your family they can come back to visit… I will still want to visit with you for about fifteen minutes after visiting time. Thanks for helping, I think you will do fine.”

Dad came back in and had a few questions for me; like when I would move back in and what help I needed. I was told I could help my mother but I wasn’t to be in the bathroom when she was in there if my help wasn’t needed. "You know the bathroom is small so don’t be planning on leaving your makeup in there or do things you can do in your room."

I say, “Dad, it has a desk, not a vanity, and it only has a small closet. The room is designed and decorated for a guy, but I will try to make due. I suspect I will move home tomorrow and I will need help moving my stuff after school.” Robert volunteers himself as well as Dawn, but I knew Dawn has chorus practice for graduation.

Drew said he and Judy would be willing to help tomorrow but any closer to the prom would be harder. I went to give him a hug for his offer, but I paused thinking he'd be uncomfortable. Judy came over patted me on the back, then my brother stepped up and gave me a light hug.

We had hugged before as brothers so this was significant to me. Judy stepped forward hugged me and whispered, “You feel more like my sister than his... Carl doesn’t have bumps.” I could not help but laugh out loud. Others asked what was said but Judy winked and it stayed between us.

I was glad when visiting time was over and I could receive the rest of my directions for taking care of Mom. Nurse Jennings also gave me five minutes to visit with my Mom alone. “Carl, I want you to understand, you being Danica is in many ways a delight to me. Please understand for all of us Carl has been precious, so it is an emotion-filled time for everyone. I am looking forward to getting to know Danica and have a daughter.” We did more visiting but it was personal and much more instructions. The goodbye and goodnight was a mother-daughter experience, a joy for both.

Robert stopped on our way back as we missed our meal, but he did most of the eating. Danica followed Dawn’s lead to eat light this close to going to bed. Aunt Susan allowed me to use some boxes and to take all the hangers I needed the next day. I did not realize how many things I had until I tried to get them ready. I knew that would not go over so well with part of my family.

I was following Dawn’s schedule except for gym class. Wednesday had me in home-economics and Dawn was working on a nice skirt and top outfit. The top was about done and the skirt pattern had just arrived. When Ms. Larkin asked if I could cut out the pattern and pin it, she could tell by Dawn’s expression she did not want it ruined.

Ms. Larkin measured me and then showed me patterns and material she had that would be appropriate if I wanted to try. Since they were extras I could do a skirt for $10. I picked a light golden yellow shirt. With a little help and having to start over just once, Danica got a good start on pinning the pattern to the material. Ms. Larkin permitted me to come back in the afternoon while Dawn was in the gym.

She was asked, "Does Dawn's mother have a sewing machine that she might give you some lessons on a few stitches that you will need."

"I am staying with my Aunt and she is just coming home from the hospital. So it would probably be Saturday before she could give me any lessons."

"Well let’s see how you do with these lessons before we decide on the lining.

Before school and then again at lunch I saw a guy who looked nice but seemed to be a loner. When I saw him at lunch I asked, "Dawn, do you know who he is?" Dawn thought his name was Mitch but needed to ask Zach. Zach told them he was a senior and a very nice guy but he was quiet and while girls liked him he never seemed to date.

When Zach admitted they were friends though not very close, Danica asked, "Zach, I want you to find out if he might be open to a double date?"

Zach, “Well if we are going too you might want to ask soon since he graduates, in ten days." Dawn clued Zach in that it would be him asking for Danica. He agreed to do so after school or that night.

Girls in the next class asked Danica if they could call her Dani. But by the look on her face, Dawn knew Danica thought it was too close to Dan and she might be recognized. She whispered to Danica, “No one will associate Dani with Dan, you are not a Tomboy.”

I was excited to get back to the Miller’s and start packing vehicles so I could get back home to see Mom. I was hoping she was already home. I tried calling the house but received no answer. We just started to load the Miller vehicle, when Drew and Judy showed up. Judy came from a very good home and had nice clothes; so when she said she was jealous of my new wardrobe, I thought she was kidding or teasing me.

Dawn had to ask me< "Why didn’t you say thank you?" ...Then she told me, "You were out of line jumping to the conclusion you did." I went up to Judy alone and apologized, and tried to explain myself.

Judy smiled saying, “No, I really meant someone had really good taste.”

Dawn overheard us and said, “You should see the prom dress, she wore last week.”

“You bought a prom dress and wore it to a prom. I want to see the dress and pictures.” Moving got delayed over an hour as seeing the gown and pictures lead to my modeling it for her. Drew and Robert made some coffee; I was not sure Drew knew what was going on and I wasn’t asking.

Judy asked, "Who picked the gown and how did all this come about?" Dawn spoke up saying the stories were too long and we should get going. Judy told me to turn around and she undid the back of my gown, tapped me on the shoulder, and told me to go and change.

I was in heaven, but also a bit sensitive that my world could come tumbling down. We got the one vehicle loaded and decided that was more than enough to take home. Dawn knew things that were not yet in the vehicle but were essential. She ferreted them out and they were loaded into Drew’s car. Aunt Susan was home and came instead of Robert.

When we drove up, I quickly knew Mom was home and rushed into the house to say hello and give a hug. Drew brought in Mrs. Miller and Dawn and I reintroduced everyone. Our neighbor Helen was over as well. I was surprised when I turned around and saw my grandmother Nana. My hands went up to cover my face in surprise as I was ready to cry.

Nana smiled, welcomed a hug, and then whispered, "I knew but your Uncle Tom does not." I quickly knew that meant Uncle Tom had brought her as she did not drive any longer. “You are very pretty and I am glad you will help take care of my daughter, but you and I will need to talk sometime.”

Dawn’s phone rang and she answered it, then I heard a scream, “You’ve got a date for Friday. (pause) That is if you can and want to go out” Drew was not happy but he nor anyone else said anything. Mom smiles saying, "I think she can, but we'll need to talk first.”

The five of us moved things into my room and no one commented much about what or how much was brought into the house. I learned that Uncle Tom had planned to leave Nan until Friday, but they were going to change their mind until I said I would stay in on the couch downstairs in the wreck room. Dawn helped me to fix the room and take downstairs what I would need. We checked my Uncle’s car and brought in Nan’s luggage.

The Millers excuse themselves and left. Dawn would call later to see if I was going to school in the morning and if I needed a ride. That would mean more than an extra half hour for them in the morning. I was moved that I had such friends who treated me special.

Dad joked that I had gotten home too late to get dinner so they would need to go out to eat. I said they could but that I thought Mom Greene should stay home and I would take care of her. Nan agreed about Mom needing to rest and that it was the men who needed the big meal. Mom always had a supply of meals she had frozen for a time when she had to go to the hospital. I found a container of frozen ravioli that she had made and frozen in a sauce. I got those out and set them in the microwave for a slow defrost. Nan would up a chicken broth for Mom as well as prepare some dinner rolls.

The Men left for dinner, Judy drove herself home, as well as Helen going back to her house and leaving us three women at home. The slow defrost of ravioli gave me time t check my Mom. She had seeped some drainage and needed to go to the bathroom. Nan was surprised to see me help Mom to do what she could and then allow me to clean her up and give her a fresh change of sleepwear.

Grandma said, “This is one of the better times your mother has had, coming home. Unlike having a group of men who cared and tried, but contributed to a stressful transition home. You are good medicine for your mother.” I expressed thanks and Mom expressed her appreciation. I excused myself to cook the dinner and see if there was another simple dish I could prepare.

I set the table and put a small pillow on Mom’s chair. She smiled as she ate and I anticipated her expression of thanks, “The best meals are the ones I do not cook; Danica and Mom thank you so much. This truly is a fine return home.”

Nana asked about how all my changes came about, and soon Mom took over the explaining. She was about halfway through and I said it was time to get her back to bed and rest. I helped her to get ready and back to bed including washing her after dinner and taking care of things and then helped her to bed. Nana sat with her and they talked. I cleaned up from dinner and set the dishes into the dishwasher and got that started.

Nan knew better than to ask how I did it all, the big difference was I did it without being hassled to do it. The men were back by 10 and my uncle was already on his way back home. Dawn called wondering about the date. I could have said ‘” No, but it meant delaying in seeing Mitch and being able to date Jeff again. So I asked Mom, answered some twenty questions before I receive permission.

I would go to school but I would probably be an extra 20 minutes late as I needed to help Mom. Dave gave me a ride to school at Middlesex. Like my Dad, he was not pleased with what I was doing. He would not say anything around Mom, but his ride to school was an inquisition. I held my ground and was not deflated by his remarks, “This is me live with it or stuff it.” He gave me a second-hand compliment, as I walked away, “For a sister, you are at least a good looking girl.”

It was fun talking to other girls at lunch; they enjoyed my insights to guys and it was a big learning curve for me in becoming a girl inside and out. Dawn used my help in getting ready for a test and helped me in preparing for exams I needed to take. While she was much smarter than me, math was a problem for her and a strength of mine. We had fun helping one another with papers and getting ready for exams. During a class, I was called out of class and my schedule for taking my special exams was given.

On my way back I bumped into Mitch emptying his locker and we talked. He’s a shy guy, but smart and easy to talk too; we were both excited about the date. His mom walked up behind us and Mitch introduced me. “You are as pretty as Mitch said. I would hope if your date goes well you will join us in celebrating Mitch’s graduation. It would be nice to have someone like you to share in his day. His Aunt Betty has… never mind… though she’s my sister, I wouldn’t mind if she ate some crow.”

I wasn’t sure how to respond and was glad in a way that my Mom’s health gave me an out. “I am discovering Mitch to be a special find and I do expect we will have a good time on our date. But with a sick mother, I can’t easily say what I can or will be doing Saturday and Sunday.”

The Principal came through saying hello to the others and that I needed to get back to class. I kissed Mitch on the cheek and said he should call sometime.

Dawn’s locker had a taped note “For Danica… from Stephanie Johnson”. The note inside said she was an old friend of Ray’s and my sister Michelle and that she knew Jasmine from way before the Prom Dress. It sent shivers up my spine. Michelle was an adopted sister and some three years older than Dave but estranged from the family for reasons I never understood. It was taboo to ask about her and other things I never figured out. But except for Michelle, I never thought much about them since I was told they had nothing to do with me. She lives some five hours away the last time I heard, but it might have well been 5000 miles.

Dawn informed me that Steph Johnson was a high school teacher and was a chaperone at the prom. “I bet she has a picture of you from the Prom because I remember her taking several photographs. When I got home and told my Mom about the note. Her facial expression changed and she told me, "You're not to mention the note or her name to anyone. I will talk to you later." I needed to help her, then shop for food and make dinner. (Carl had a traumatic episode in his life that is known to some and may soon again be known to him.)

We talked about our day, Mom with her mother and Dave and Dad stopping back in. She did take it easy, going out on the porch once. She was more comfortable having me home for the rest of the day. I added a feminine touch with a bit more strength and stability than her mother. While it wasn’t all pleasant work or something I naturally did before, the mother/daughter relationship of being there was very gratifying.

I shared my day at school and my project of working on a skirt. Mom's work with me on her sewing machine had paid off and the skirt was nicely taking shape and with Ms. Harper’s help, I was even doing the lining. Mom encouraged me to put in the slits up the sides saying that they did not go up too far but would help the skirt in the front to lie down and not rise. She said, “It is better to leave things to a guy’s imagination instead of a clear view.

“Mom, how can you say that to your daughter?”

“I have four sons and Carl knows all too well what I am saying.” We both laughed as I blushed. I told her about bumping into Mitch and then his mom and being invited to things for his graduation. That was if I enjoyed our date. I told Mom I felt caught a little. As Danica, I possibly would enjoy the date and like him and possibly even enjoy being seen as his girlfriend, but I know I shouldn’t and needed to be at home with her.

“You are right that I will still need you sometimes these coming days, but you are not going to be hiding behind me, to avoid decisions you need to make. You have decided to be Danica for now, if you want the family to make decisions for you, you will be back to just being Carl. That will not be a bad decision if it is your decision.” We talked some more and decided if I should so choose to help Mitch on Saturday from 10:30 — 3:00, that going to his graduation reception probably could be arranged.

Thursday evening went well until Dad got heated up hearing Michelle’s name and my note from Teacher Ms. Stephanie Johnson. Dad insisted he was not willing for his family to go through those experiences again. By the time I went to bed I was relieved I had an appointment with Drs. Myrt and Deb tomorrow.

Once again taking care of Mom and saying goodbye to Nana had me late in getting to school. I saw Jeff and thought it odd that I had a conflict of emotions between seeing him, Mitch, and what I was beginning to feel about guys in general. Under my breast forms and between my legs I was experiencing sensations I hadn’t noticed before these last few weeks but now they were growing.

It was actually a relief to be going to the doctor. Mom was well enough to go into the appointment with me. Aunt Susan gave us a ride. Part of me felt embarrassed and part of me was excited to be in the waiting room of my gynecologist. The nurse called me back and showed my Mom and Aunt to Dr. Myrt’s office. I was pleased that I had lost four more pounds, but the nurse did not share as much as before but wrote things down for the doctor. Dr. Deb examined me and treated me very well but she too was a bit more reserved than before.

Dr. Deb did take much more time visiting with me and asking a lot of questions. Some I knew were medical, some were to hear and understand my experiences but she seemed more interested in my ability to be me or to give up being Danica. The concern seemed to have more significance than was being shared. Yet she was quite sensitive and present if my eyes would have teared or cried.

I got dressed again and we went to Dr. Myrt’s office to visit more formally there. I was asked more direct by Dr. Myrt about whether I wanted to be Danica or Carl. I became defensive and shared, "I don't think I'm ready for such a decision and I think it is unfair and surprising that you would be pushing me for such a decision!"

They acknowledged that it was not fully their desire either but two things were making such questions and related decisions more important. Dr. Myrt calmly asked what I remembered from earlier in my life and the time I didn’t remember was more significant to me than I had let on to others. My feelings of identifying with girls and liking their things had not just started. They had begun to grow significantly since I was 10 as I remembered.

I'm told before the prom dress and Danica; I saw myself as Carl/Jasmine and that I was hurt very badly when I was seven. People had decided I needed to focus on just being Carl. Dr. Myrt did not say much more about that, but changed topics and explained that my body was beginning delayed puberty and they needed to decide whether to delay it or to aid its development.

“What if I and Danica are not ready for Carl’s voice and body to change?”

Dr. Deb spoke up, “It may not be Carl’s development we are worried about? You have spoken of some sensations you are feeling and mood changes you are experiencing that indicate your body may be developing more like a female.

Dr. Myrt spoke, “It is not just whether it is your female organs or your male organs that are developing, but that for you puberty is coming late and your development may need medical assistance to do so properly and functionally.”

"To complicate the situation, this is stressing your family situation and it might help if you went to live with the Millers or someone else for a while." I was overwhelmed and broke into tears at this point and was not easily consoled. Mom, Aunt Susan, and Dr. Deb surrounded me to console me. I felt bad as I was not ill in the same way my mother was. I was feeling a strong sense of will and stubbornness welling up inside of me.

“I and others may need some space and maybe there are things that are out of my control, but I am not just going to be pushed here or there. I am not going to just abandon my mother or give up my opportunity to be there for her as her daughter. I am not a yo-yo nor guilty of more than being me. I am very upset that something happened to me that I don’t know about.”

“If Aunt Susan is here because someone wants me to go there today. It may happen but not today, I will have this weekend to be there for my Mom and she for me, or pardon me but you will see one ugly ‘B * h’ in a moment.”

Most everyone went silent including me for a moment then it was my Mom half smiling and half crying that broke into laughter and hugged me and said, “Your wisdom amazes me young lady and I am glad you are my daughter.”

Mom said, “Yes it might be helpful if not essential you stay with the Millers for a while, but I too want you to be with me the next few days and my daughter always.”

Dr. Myrt had been to see other patients and was now back in the office and was being updated by my Intern Deb. She seemed to be relieved, but stated, "We still have a ticking clock regarding Carl/Danica’s development and the use of blockers and/or hormone therapy. Regularly Danica would be too young for female hormone therapy, but Dr. Deb’s research convinces me we may have a young woman who could be harmed more by delaying in helping her. It is in some ways a medical emergency."

They went on to explain that it appeared I would over time develop more like a woman than as a man, but without proper attention now my hormone development was too weak to help me to develop to be a functioning woman.

I did ask to meet with Drs Myrt and Deb alone; I told them I was afraid in the long run. That by living with the Millers I would lose Danica as my best friend. That I would need support and guidance that would strain their family and me. It did not call for a decision today. I liked the idea of finishing the school year with Danica and just being me for a while, but sometimes something needed to be done.

Dr. Myrt said, "I understand, but I don’t think a traditional foster or group home would be good. A good situation would take time and be hard to find."

We met with my mother and agreed to begin a light regiment of female hormones. It was also agreed that I would be seeing a psychologist to help to deal with my emotional and mental wellbeing as well as my transgender issues. It was a Dr. Sara Stanz, whom she was recommending and an initial appointment was set for the Tuesday after school was out.

I felt bad as we were riding home and I took out my phone to call Dawn and Mitch to cancel our double date. Mom interrupted me and Mrs. Miller agreed that it would probably be good for me to go out and relax. It was early enough with only a little rush I could help my Mom, prepare dinner, and get a shower, and ready for my date.

Poor Mitch came to the door to pick me up and was given a cool greeting by my father. Mom was quickly present and made the atmosphere a bit warmer and more gracious. My outfit was quite cute, even if it was I saying so. Mom and Mitch said the same. The skirt was slightly above the knee but would slide up nicely when I was seated. Mitch agreed to take care of me, have me home on time, and treat me with respect. Gruffly my father said, “Whatever.” Mom chimed in for us to have an enjoyable time.

Zach was driving and he and Dawn helped Mitch to relax by the time we got to the diner. We decided to go to the later show and just got a small bite and visit. It was helpful for Zach and Mitch to have been friends. Zach kind of guided the conversation with Dawn’s help for us to get visiting.

Before we left the diner Mitch and I were visiting pretty well with one another. When we got to the car, I kissed Mitch on the cheek to say thanks for the dinner, and he greeted me with a warm hug. He apologized for being too forward. “A warm kiss on the lips might have been forward, but I think I would have enjoyed it.” With that said he spun me back, hugged me, and kiss on the lips, with a hand softly touching my chin.

Mitch was not as strong as Jeff, but his touch and warmth were very pleasing. The movie had a good blend of romance and action that everyone found enjoyable to see. Fortunately, Mitch’s warmth and attention caused me to miss a fairly good part of the movie. I felt myself getting hot and felt a sense of joy that deep down it was the birthing of the girl in me. I knew Mitch had become excited as well and did all I could from getting too forward with him way too fast.

Unfortunately, I was picked up last and dropped off first. It was over an hour before Dawn or Denise would reply to me texting them. We each took turns talking about how our nights were. Dawn praised me for being a good girl. I was amused as Denise, Dawn, and I were on chat together. I could sense their affection for one another as well as show their interest in the other night with their date.

Mom had left a note that Dr. Deb had called and asked if I would like to go biking sometime with her and ended up agreeing to a short ride of five miles at 5:30 a.m. I was up and did enjoy myself with Debbie as she asked me to call her apart from work. Her idea of a leisure ride and mine had to do more with the fact she was in good condition and I was not.

We stopped by a bike shop on our way home, and the owner was there for a bike club that would meet there. He and Debbie showed me a few bicycles: lightweight, 24-32 gears, and more information than I understood. I found a bike and helmet I loved and Debbie and I took it for a spin. We ended at my house and there I found out my boy’s bike had been traded-in.

My bicycle was an inexpensive bike four years ago, and the new one cost over $500 before the helmet, warranty, and taxes. Debbie said it was her insanity money as she was finished med-school and had income coming in. She asked if we could go to the graduation reception the next day as cousins or friends as I would need a ride.

I would end up enjoying both and felt like she was a big sister, who was both a close friend and someone I could confide with about things I didn’t even ask Dawn about. I found out Debbie did have a boyfriend. He would come with us to Mitch’s reception and he was a good-looking guy, but as she said better decoration than longtime love.

That morning Dad apologized for how he was acting and thanked me for being there for Mom. He tried to say more, but could only get a phrase out and then stopped and could not go on. I sensed he still felt really angry, a bit guilty, and hurt about things that happened or would happen. I wasn’t sure if I was thankful or angry that he tried.

I excused myself and helped mom with a shower, to begin her day. Dr. Deb checked my Mom as well as watched how I cared for her. “Your Mom has made remarkable progress and I am sure that has to do with your care as well as your mother’s strong constitution. Mitch was over by 10:30, and I was ready to get out of the house.

Mitch’s mom Dorothy was very warm and welcoming; Mitch’s dad was out playing a round of golf. The house was already very clean, we were doing a lot of the extras and getting coolers, and giant tubs, as well as tables and extra chairs ready. Part of the time I worked with Mrs. Klein; I enjoyed her talking about Mitch. She was quite happy that he and I were dating.

Mitch and I worked together a fair portion of the time and he had a quiet sense of humor that I was getting to appreciate. He too was on the school’s baseball team. While he was not considered a star he was considered an important player and contributor to the team. I guess, I like others equated his quietness to his computer geek nature and discounted him as an athlete. Half of his full-ride scholarship was in fact for his playing baseball. Monday, their team had one more game they needed to win to qualify for the state playoffs.

I miss playing sports but this year my life was busy enough learning to be a girl.

Mitch’s Mom bought us some sub-sandwiches for a late lunch and shared we were about done with their projects. I could tell by Mitch’s expression and Dorothy looking at other things it was not true. The only thing I saw her look at repeatedly was the windows.

Windows are low on my welcomed list of chores, but I did have an idea to make them more enjoyable. I volunteered to do the downstairs windows as long as I could if Mitch was willing to clean the outside windows. Dorothy was relieved, and Mitch was willing though not very happy. Dorothy would help me with our windows which cut our part in half. It was almost the bewitching hour of three when I needed to get home.

I had just finished my last window of the day and raced outside. Mitch had finished the upstairs window and was working on the main floor. I came around to find the hose and teased Mitch and then gave him a good squirt. With any luck, I would have my first wet top experience. Mitch was too much a gentleman and wrestled away the hose, despite getting wetter. I needed to go to plan B and grabbed his water bucket and began to charge him when he gave up being nice and hosed me down. I did succeed in getting him with the bucket of dirty water. Happily, I was soaked from the top-up. I got to wear one of Mitch’s baseball jersey’s home. We exchanged kisses in the car and I raced into the house for my room but I stumbled. Dad complained, “You must have gotten a bit indecent, besides wasting my time, you should be ashamed of being out like that.”

Mom told Dad to stop and be quiet. I began to cry, “How can you be so cruel, when I love you and Mom?” Mom wanted to help me to my room but it was I who needed to be caring for her. “Let me change and collect myself, then I will be out to help you and prepare dinner.”

I was making fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, and a vegetable. My mom had taught each of us boys to cook a little. Come Thursday it was nice to have Nana help me cook. I felt like a little girl learning at her skirt. Tonight, I had Mom at my side and again I was the little girl this time and Mom was letting me cook and carry out her directions. It was funny how much Nana and Mom differed in cooking because they often used similar recipes. Mom measured everything and Nan used a pinch of this and poured in ingredients knowing what a cup was, not measuring it. They both kept a close watch over their meals and taught me to work to have everything prepared within five minutes of the other dishes.

I wanted to change the meal as it was a favorite of Dad’s and I didn’t want to be pleasing to him. My oldest brother showed up unannounced and Dad quickly invited them to dinner. Frying more chicken, adding potatoes, and cooking more vegetables was not a hard fix.

Mom told me she prepared many meals angry at me or another person in the family. It might take away her appetite, but she tried to make the meal just as good.

The dinner went well, I didn’t need to worry, as dad wasn’t pleased, “It isn’t like what your Mom makes, not even close.” Mom said, “You did real good Danica, it’s too bad Nana is not here to enjoy it.” I was disappointed others did not speak up, though everything was eaten. I had baked an apple pie before I started dinner. I wanted to save it for Sunday dinner, but they chose to have it tonight. I ate my piece in the kitchen and then went to sulk in my room.

I text Denise to update her on what was happening but was required to help Drew with the dishes. My niece came to visit while I was drying the dishes, but she was disappointed I did not have girl toys from when I was younger. Drew laughed and shared he knew where a box of Michelle’s toys was. But they couldn’t come out today and have our niece ask about Michelle.

By the time I was back to text Denise or Dawn they were out for the night, and while they would respond, it was not an ongoing conversation. I helped Mom with a few things and then got into shampooing her hair and redoing her fingernails. Jamie liked what I did and we soon had permission to do her nails. This included doing her toenails in two shades of pink. She and I wanted to do it a bit wilder, but they did look cute and better for Sunday.

=^_^=


Mrs. Pfister called around 9:00 pm. to see if we were going to church and if Danica could help by sitting with her and her children. Mom called me and had me talk to Mrs. Pfister. It would be her first time back at our church. It was a chance for me to go to church and see a lot of people I knew and allow my Dad to be reasonably comfortable that I was there as a niece sitting away from them with Mrs. Pfister.

It was already a very warm morning so I wore one of my sundresses and carried a wrap I could slip on if the AC was too cool. It was like a warm mini-reunion seeing the Pfisters. Jane, the eldest daughter said, “My daddy had come home for a visit and he would be living at home again soon. Mommy said you know daddy sometimes wears dresses but we should not be talking about that around other people.”

I asked Jane if she had seen her daddy dressed like a woman? She told me, “Yes, but she looks better since mommy has helped him. He’s to dress as himself when we go out and most of the time we are home.” We were no sooner seated and Jane and Drake said they needed to go to the bathroom.

At two, Drake was wearing big boy underpants that needed help in pulling down. We hurried to the women’s restroom a distance away. I needed to take Drake into a stall and help him with his underpants and get him on the toilet. I was outside the door until he said he was ready. Luckily he only peed and I did not need to wipe his butt. Jane was ready and waiting as I helped Drake to wash his hands and brush his hair. We were back just before worship began. It was just before the Gospel reading and Caroline began to act up and I grabbed the diaper bag and Caroline. I first tried to give her a bottle there, but it was obvious she wanted to be nursing and need a change as well.

After worship Mrs. Pfister visited with my parents (Aunt and Uncle), Dad expressed a deep appreciation for his niece her helping her Aunt. I would have been really hot if I was not so close to tears. I was thankful I could walk away with Caroline in one arm and Drake holding my hand or wrapped around my legs.

We went out for dinner and I did not have to cook. When we got home I needed to attend to Mom’s needs, get her to rest, and get ready for Debbie to pick me up for Mitch’s graduation reception. Debbie’s Les was driving and I am sure he saw and knew me only as a girl. I had text Mitch I was on my way and Zach was at the road to direct us to a parking spot saved especially for us.

Dorothy’s sister Leah was quickly over and gave a snide compliment saying she was delightfully surprised such a cute girl actually showed up. I returned the compliment with my own zinger. “Aunt Leah it is an honor to meet you and you are as beautiful as Mitch said, I am surprised as I did not know you were twins.” In reality, Dorothy was just over two years older than her sister Leah. I was pulled away by Debbie and she required me to apologize to Mrs. Klein and if she felt helpful to Aunt Leah.

I apologized to Mitch’s Mom and was encouraged to go my way and spend time with Mitch. I don’t think I ever had so many pictures taken of me. Mitch’s friends, guys, and gals were complimenting me, saying Mitch deserved someone pretty like me that I was a smart young lady.

Come 7:30 Mitch was ready to get away and visit the receptions of classmates. I had Deb’s permission to be out until 9:00 and to call her to let her know where I was to be picked up. Mitch drew a lot of attention at other receptions and was enjoying his time in the limelight. He was finally being recognized as someone special.

I called Deb and was picked up and told while I would get to say goodnight and check on my Mom, my stuff was already moved to the Millers where I would be sleeping tonight.

Started with a Prom Dress - Chapter 5 — Danica Goes in Different Directions

Wednesday, Danica would meet Stephanie Johnson and learn more about her past…

Dawn and Danica should they be Sisters or Best Friends, in the spirit they would be both…

If not with the Millers who would Danica live with, too many moves could be a growing problem. A lot of people liked the Danica they saw and knew, but would they like her if they really knew her? …

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Started with a Prom Dress - 4 - Danica Stays

And can she pass as a girl, able to safely go on a sleepover without being discovered

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I am really enjoying this

I love the way this story is developing. Danica is a sweetie.

Joani

Danica has some very serious decisions to make.

Will she be able to make them in time? I certainly hope so.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Thanks Jessica,

Ole Ulfson's picture

For a lovely chapter. It's good that Danica is getting time to get her feet under her and become settled. The brothers seem to be adapting well and not being constantly confrontational. But Dad... well, there seem to be something going on there that hasn't been revealed yet; something more than losing a son.

I'm anxiously awaiting the next chapter and and the low-down on Danica's past and the mysterious Michelle.

Well done.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Poor girl

Renee_Heart2's picture

At least mom is accepting her as a daughter for now & really needs her help right now, but due to her brothere & father not being accepting & the Millers are... She is beitng pulled in two many diffrent directions & is likley to have a mental break down nf somethings are not taken care of soon.

Its good to see Danica have some fun while taking care of her mother & have a new guy friend just be be around & I have a feeling that Danica is just that Danica a full blown genetic girl who needs to disown her father & brother & her mom needs to throw them out on their tin ear.

Look foward to chapter 5 :) great story keep it up.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I like this story

A lot, but it is very hard for me to understand. There are not many misspelled words; I'm not sure what is giving me problems. Could you possibly get a proof reader to look at your stories before you post them? I think that maybe your first language is not English and you are using sentence structures from your first language; just a guess.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Denise and Dawn...

...would be my ideal partners. Rock on Danica!!! (you lucky girl!) ... Pity about your Dad! Love Ginger x

I was a little bit disappointed in this chapter.

I know how hard it is to write a story and I have enjoyed the overall story, HOWEVER.......
Your spelling and grammatical errors in this chapter were very disconcerting.

The constant errors in spelling, grammatical errors or sentences which did not make sense, definitely detracted from my reading enjoyment.

Perhaps you did not proof read your story SLOWLY, which is a common problem as a number of writers tend to gloss over the errors that they've written reading the story that they were thinking in their minds instead of reading it in a printed out format.

Hopefully later chapters will correct this problem.