The Ram 39

Printer-friendly version

This chapter describes the births of the babies and the preparations for the wedding.

The Welsh Mountain Ram 39

Briony Davies Nee Lewis ... Betrayed wife and mother.
Sion Her eight-year-old son.
Ellairy... Her nine-month--old daughter.
Arfon Davies... Brionys’ abusive and unfaithful husband.
Dave Cadwalloder... Welsh bachelor hill-farmer.
Jenny and Lassie... Daves’ sheepdog bitches.
Laddie... Daves’ sheepdog.
Jessica and Pansy... Daves’ sows.
Angel... Daves’ mare.
Gabriella (Gabby)... Angels’ foal (Gift to Sion.)
Elsbeth... Briony’s sister.
Daphne... Daves’ ‘girlfriend’
Cledwyn... Farmer further down the valley (Neighbour.)
Blodwen... Cledwyn’s daughter.
Rachel... Daphne’s TV friend.
Shirley... Rachels’ GG wife.
Fajita... The maid.
James & Tara... Rachel’s teenaged children (16 & 15)
Billy and Janet... Manager and accountant at Daphne’s club.
Terry... New Zealand Shepherd.
Wendy... Blodwens best friend at school. Also Dave’s friend.
Jane... Policewoman at Machynlleth.
Jack Davies... Sergeant North Wales Police.
Joyce... Blodwen’s Partner.
Moira... Bridal boutique owner Newtown
Edward Lewis... Briony’s father.
Jean Lewis... Briony’s mother.
Colin... Llanidloes police officer.
Sarah... Llanidloes Police woman.
Brian ... Briony’s oldest brother
Rachel ... Briony’s oldest sister

The Ram 39.

Daphne glanced out of the window and smiled. It was a joy to watch the group as the adults chatted animatedly while the younger ones raced around chasing each other or looking at specimens they’d collected from the remains of the old lead mine. The minerals in the rocks revealed a myriad different shades and some of the older girls were studying them with a view to making jewellery. She reached out her hand and rested it lightly on Jean’s shoulder and repeated what she’d said earlier.

“That’s what Briony brings me, a family; just look at them. Doesn’t it give you a thrill to think they’re nearly all from your womb or connected through marriage? That’s why Briony and I want to get married. Look at them.”

Jean grasped the hand on her shoulder then kissed it gently as more tears of joy started to flow. Daphne felt the moisture on her fingers and reached for the tissues on the small occasional table. She had no idea how the box had got there but it was uniquely convenient. Then she squealed.

“Oh heck! I’d better go and see how lunch is coming. That lot will be famished. Terry and John are doing the cooking, John’s an excellent cook.”

After many years of motherhood, Jean recognised the catering issues and released Daphne’s hand with a smile. The smile continued as she heard Daphne’s heels clicking purposefully down the hall to the kitchen. She dried her eyes then touched up her makeup as she heard her family crowding into the kitchen. She did a mental check and reckoned on twenty adults not to mention children for lunch.

‘Thank God the house could take it’, she thought then smiled again as she considered the circumstances. ‘Briony certainly is a lucky girl’.

With that the drawing room door burst open and her grandchildren erupted into the room to show her the spoils of their walk. It gave Jean a heart-filling delight to see them all chattering about the walk and the game of hide-and-seek they had played around the derelict mine. Then her children entered also chatting about the walk and Jean savoured the exquisite delight of family until Blodwen called from the dining room.

“Lunch is up, come and get it!”

Jean giggled and said to Briony.

“I feel there should be a butler with a gong to formally announce luncheon.”

Briony giggled and riposted. “Leave it there Mam; you’re doing the washing up,” as they filtered through into the dining room.

Daphne left Briony to bring order and soon everybody was seated at two tables ... adults and children. Daphne asked if anybody felt like saying grace but an embarrassed silence befell the room before mutual agreements averted the issue. Soon the room was ringing to chit-chat and laughter as various old family anecdotes were repeated and new ones reported. Daphne just sat grinning like Cheshire cat as she savoured the clamour of a full family lunch.

Briony caught her eye and smiled across the length of the table. ‘This was what the house needed; this was what the house was going to get!’ She mused as Daphne grinned stupidly back.

Eventually the lunch came to its end and the discussions returned to the drawing room and library while Terry and John cleared up the dishes. The children were led by Sion outside again while the family fell to discussing wedding plans in earnest. The issue of both bride and ‘groom’ wearing identical wedding gowns cause much amused comment but nearly all of it was positive. The only issue being that the groom would ‘Technically’ get a look at the bride’s gown before the big day.

Blodwen knew a female Vicar in Birmingham who was agreeable to the wedding because it was technically a ‘proper’ union between man and woman. Daphne didn’t have the heart to enlighten anybody about her being only partly a man and that in body only.

Technically, the law and the church recognised her as a man so there were no issues with the cannon law. Having the wedding in Birmingham would prove to be convenient and ‘cost effective’ because they could hold the reception in The Melancholy Pussy, Daphne’s own club which had its own function room at the back. (The one were the police were having a reception and party the night Daphne was shot.)

On the Easter bank-holiday Monday the family went on an excursion to study the Ospreys nesting at Glaslyn. The visitor centre was crowded because the success story was that the birds had laid some eggs and the warden thought it was two though there might be three by that evening. Sion was amazed that the birds were nesting so close to the railway line and close to civilisation. His Uncle explained that provided there was food enough and the many people did not disturb the birds or prove a threat, the birds would happily nest within sight of houses.

It was an excellent climax to the Easter weekend and the families departed content as they anticipated the arrival of Briony and Daphne’s twins.

o0o

During March April and May Daphne’s babies arrived, Blodwen’s daughter, Joyce’s son and Briony’s twins. Briony had already agreed to let Daphne share the mothering and to this end, Daphne had been taking hormones to promote lactation. She was leaking milk even before the twins arrived and in the evenings she couldn’t resist ‘testing’ her own milk for her boobs had grown enough that she could suck her own nipples. One evening Briony caught her doing it and scolded her in fun.

“Hey girl! You’re stealing my baby’s milk.”

Daphne grinned as she weighed her swollen boobs.

“Your babies aren’t even born yet. They’ll get their share when the time comes.”

“Did you save the first few milkings for the colostrums?”

“Of course. It’s in the deep freeze. If those two arrive on time, it’ll only be a couple of weeks old. Does Colostrum keep when deep frozen?”

“Dunno’” Briony replied, “we’d better ask the doctor at the next ante-natal.”

It appeared that the doctor’s opinion was uncertain and he advised them to ‘Suck it and see’. Both girls chuckled at the double entendre then resolved to test the frozen colostrum themselves when the twins arrived. This done the girls settled down to wait the last couple of weeks while Blodwen and Joyce became temporary house guests at Plas Las after the arrival of their babies. Daphne was glad that Terry was now au-fait with most of the farm’s functions and he only helped out if the job was a seriously ‘two-handed’ task.

Otherwise, Daphne served as ‘go-for’ and general factotum to the girls as the house became a de-facto nursery. She felt her boobs ache and tingle with anticipation so when Blodwen or Joyce were pre-occupied Daphne would sneak a little suckle of her older babies. Briony smiled and snuggled uncomfortably on the sofa as her bump became more and more oppressive. One afternoon as Terry brought Sion home off the school bus, Sion walked in on Daphne feeding Joyce’s newborn son ... Daphne's son, cos' she was the father.

“I didn’t know you could do that, I thought that was a mother’s job.” He declared excitedly.

“Well, this is a little lesson for you darling.” Daphne explained. “Nearly anybody with natural boobs can feed a baby if they take the right medicine.”

“Are they the same medicines that helped you to grow boobies?”

“Very similar Sion, they’re called hormones.”

“Can I see?”

“See what darling? This is all there is to see. Baby, booby ... booby, baby. Booby goes in baby’s mouth, baby sucks.”

"Can you squeeze it out like cows and sheep?”

“Yes, but that would make a mess and it’s a waste.”

“Can you show me, just this once?”

“No Sion, there are some things only married partners share and there are some things only a mummy and her baby can share. I’m not your mummy so it would be wrong for me to show you my nipples. I’ve never let you see me putting my bras and panties on have I?”

Sion mumbled ‘No’ and walked away somewhat disappointed to do his homework. Later he approached his own mother Briony and asked in front of the other mothers and Daphne.

“Can I try some of your milk after my brother and sister are born?”

Briony blushed and turned to Daphne.

“D’you think that’s right?”

Daphne shrugged and smiled. "He’s your baby Bri’ you could express some for him and let him drink it from a glass."

Sion turned and gaped.

“That’s how I meant! You don’t think I wanted to suck from mummy did you?”

Daphne saved Briony from further embarrassment for that’s exactly what Briony had thought. Daphne explained.

“Your question was a bit ambiguous Sion, none of us where certain what you meant. The glass idea is perfectly acceptable. Working mummies often express milk into a special container for the babies to drink later when they’re in the nursery. For now you’ll have to wait just a couple more days, your brother and sister are due to arrive soon.”

“How will we know?”

All the mothers smiled at this innocent question as even Daphne stifled a giggle.

“Don’t worry Sion; your mummy will know exactly when the babies have decided to come.”

“How.”

Briony took over the explanations.

“I will start to experience birth pains or labour pains and they will take me into hospital.”

“Pains? What pains mummy?”

“Having babies is very painful Sion. Mummies suffer a lot when they have their babies. The babies cause a lot of pain.”

Sion digested this then frowned.

“Did I cause you pain mummy?”

“Yes Sion, all babies cause pain.”

“Sorry mummy. I’ll try not to cause you any more pain.”

Briony extended her arms and invited Sion into an embrace. He hesitated and turned uncertainly to Daphne. Daphne smiled and nodded.

“Go on; give your mum a hug. She’s not made of glass, she won’t break or anything. Those are babies inside her womb not bombs.”

Reassured that squeezing his mother would cause no harm, Sion edged closer then wrapped his arms around his mother. The babies felt the pressure and kicked and Sion giggled appreciatively.

“They’re going to be footballers mummy.”

“What, you’re sister as well?” Briony smiled.

“Why not, the girls play football at school.”

Daphne caught Briony’s eye and smiled.

“Sign of the times darling.”

“And good times they are too,” Blodwen added. “I’d have liked to play football when I was there.”

“Oooh I wouldn’t!” Joyce declared.

Blodwen leant over and kissed her partner as she observed.

“No but you’re a really girly girl. Cheerleader would have been your thing.”

“They didn’t have those either.” Joyce lamented.

Daphne and Briony grinned. Both Blod and Joyce were very attractive lipstick lesbians and their opposite views of sport clearly demonstrated that gender and sexuality played no part in an individual’s sporting preferences. Daphne knew that Blodwen loved running and kicking a ball because all through their school days Blodwen had been a strong representative for the girl’s track and cross-country team. She still jogged to this day, while Joyce was usually to be found doing gym and floor exercises to improve flexibility and figure. Both girls were stunningly attractive and Daphne had thoroughly enjoyed assisting their maternal ambitions. Briony noticed Daphne staring thoughtfully at her two best friends and she nudged Daphne sharply.

“Oy! Get your eyes off them lady. You’re mine and don’t you forget it.”

Daphne shook her head and turned to smile.

“Sorry Bri. I was just reflecting on them. Yes, they are attractive, and I’d be lying to say I wasn’t attracted to them but it’s you I’ve chosen over them. That’s the biggest compliment I could pay you. Anyway, it’s a non-starter isn’t it?”

“Is it. You underestimate your own attractiveness girl. If I was a lesbian I’d be attracted to you.”

Daphne squawked with laughter.

“But you are attracted to me girl!”

“Yeah, but I’m attracted to a certain part of you that makes me hetero’” Other lesbians wouldn’t know about that vital little bit of difference. Both Blod and Joyce tell me if you’d been a macho, masculine sort of guy, they’d have been turned off. They could still fancy you so hands off! Okay?”

Daphne wagged her head with bemusement. Even after living her whole life as an intergender, it still bemused her to think of lesbians actually finding her attractive.

She bent down to kiss Briony and Briony sat up to meet Daphne’s lips. As she half rose from the chair she felt a pain and immediately recognised the onset of labour. She gave a grunt and gasped.

“I’ve started! Get the car. Blod, look after Sion and Ellairy.”

Her announcement set the wheels in motion and the maternity unit at Aberystwyth was alerted

Within the hour, they were ensconced in the Maternity unit at Brongwynlas Hospital and Daphne started phoning relatives. By the time Jean had organised transport and arrived from Llanidloes, Briony had delivered her twins. Dafydd (Welsh for David) after his dad and Victoria because Briony liked the name.

When Jean arrived, she found her daughter and future daughter/son-in-law doing fine and both babies were feeding at both their parent’s breasts. It was something of an eye-opener for all the staff at the baby-unit but Jean did not bat an eyelid. She had long been forewarned and knew what to expect. Transgendered parenting had finally arrived even in the deepest depths of ‘Chapel Wales’.

Within two days, Briony was back home and facing the social worker who arrived as part of the normal post-natal routine. At first she expressed reservations about a father breast-feeding her own children but Daphne had already anticipated these hurdles. She and Briony had their legal arguments prepared. Any objections by social workers would be deemed to have arisen out of a departmental transphobic perspective and that would be a clear breach of law. Within a month, the objections had been surmounted and the only concession Briony made to the social worker was for Daphne to agree to stop working with the animals for the first month to avoid any chance of infection from the live-stock. Even this concession irked Daphne as she pointed out to Briony.

“You shouldn’t have agreed to that. Provided I am clean and shower before feeding them it shouldn’t be a problem. The babies should be exposed to animals, it strengthens their immune systems. I was feeding lambs almost as soon as I could walk.”

Briony protested.

“You don’t know how much trouble Social workers can cause if they take against you. Just being married to Arfon attracted unwanted supervision and extra calls as they searched for any evidence of abuse because of his known propensity for violence. I only made the concession to get her off our backs. Besides, how is she to know if you’re working with the animals or not?”

“She could call unexpectedly.” Briony observed.

“Not if I lock the road gate to cars. She won’t walk down the lane because of the mud so she’ll have to phone and tell us she’s at the gate. If she asks why we’re locking it we can say there’s a rumour that Arfon’s been seen locally and you didn't want him turning up at the farmyard in his car. Just one more defence hurdle if he ever does turn up.

Eventually, the broo-ha with the SS calmed down and Briony settled down to the task of rearing her own twins and sharing in the rearing of Blodwen and Joyce’s babies. She was truly glad of her mother’s company and the intermittent presence of Blodwen and Joyce during the week as they shared duties at their architectural practice in Birmingham.

During those two months Briony was exercising and eagerly looking forward to fitting into her beautiful wedding gown. Two weeks before the wedding, she visited Moira’s boutique on the Monday morning and heaved a deep sigh of relief when she finally struggled into the sheath she had so set her heart on. Moira studied the dress thoughtfully and said.

“It’s a bit tight Bri, especially around your bust but that’s to be expected. Shall I let out the bust a trifle?”

Briony smiled. The bust issue gave her a warm motherly feeling as she savoured the thoughts of nurturing Daphne’s children then a thought struck her. ‘Daphne’s dress might need adjusting as well!’ She opened her mobile phone while Moira unpicked the stitches on the darts around her bust and explained the situation.

“Where are you Darling?” She asked.

“I’m in Mothercare with Blodwen, Joyce and all the children. What’s up?”

“I think you might need to come in.”

“Why?”

“You’ll see.”

“There’s nothing wrong is there?”

“Oh no, nothing’s wrong it’s just well ... the gowns, you’ll see when you get here.”

Briony didn’t have long to wait as the commotion at the door announced the hurried arrival of the girls with their babies. Briony met them with a smile which wiped the worry of Daphne’s face.

“What’s wrong with them? The gowns, that is.”

“You’ll see, you’d better try yours on.”

Moira brought out Daphne’s gown and nodded to the changing cubicle as she turned to Briony.

“I presume there is no superstition about the bride seeing the groom’s gown is there?”

Briony and Daphne giggled as Briony replied.

“If there is, it’s a pretty new tradition, no of course not. They’re the same gowns.”

Moira nodded and instructed Daphne to change into the gown.

As Daphne slithered into her gown she eventually realised the problem.

“Flippin’ heck! My boobs have grown much more than my bra says. This is really tight up here. It’s too tight.”

She looked at Moira whose jaw was sagging with shock as she noticed Daphne’s nursing bra.

“I... that’s a nursing bra!”

Daphne looked down, cupped the breasts then smiled as she announced casually.

“Of course it is, I’m nursing!”

“What! You mean you ...”

“Yes, that’s what being a girl is all about isn’t it. I may not be able to have my babies but at least I can nurture them.”

“Oh my God! That explains everything.” Moira grinned. “Well spotted Bri.”

“What?” Daphne demanded.

Moira explained.

“Well nursing bras make extra allowances, the cups are adjustable as well as detachable. That’s why you’ve been misled about your increased bust size you’re a double D if not an E girl, just look at yourself. Your gown needs to have bigger darts as well. Take it off.”

Daphne slithered out of it as Moira sighed with relief and remarked.

“Well at least your bums and waists haven’t grown.”

“Yeah,” Daphne grinned, “do our bums look big in these?”

“No they don’t, from the back you both look stunning.”

“And the front?” Briony pressed.

“I’m going to have to do some modification to the décolletage. The pair of you look as though you’re the Milk bar girls. I mean that cleavage is just lewd. Don’t worry, the gowns will look every bit as lovely as they were before the boob thing. Come back on Wednesday. I’m used to these things but usually, these days it’s the belly that’s grown."

Both girls grinned knowingly as Moira put the gowns on their hangers and they left to do more shopping before going on to Birmingham to finalise the church and reception details.

On Wednesday afternoon, they returned to Moira’s and found the gowns to fit perfectly. Moira had been as good as her word and the gowns still worked as they originally intended. Daphne and Briony were beside themselves with excitement as they drove home.

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Ram 39

Love the story

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wonderful

And the lovliness continues as well as the love. Just a piece of Paradise in Wales.

I do fear a vicious uninvited guest at the wedding though.

I am convinced

Arfon's middle name is Damocles.

Arfon

I'll rest a lot easier when the boogy man is dealt with.

Gwendolyn

Nice And Gentle

A leisurely chapter with a lovely romantic feeling to it. Isn't it nice to see Jean on board?
Anna

Only The Good Are Left

joannebarbarella's picture

That's supposing that Arfon and Edward don't make further appearances. Bev, I hope you have some wedding photos ready to post. And the wedding gowns can't be purple!

Joanne