The Other side of the Forest - Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
The Other Side of the Forest
by:
Elsbeth

 

Morgan Rynders believed the worlds found in his books were much more interesting than the one he lived in. Unfortunately ancient powers couldn't care less dragging Morgan into a quite a different adventure whether he is interested or not.
illustrating-picture-of-fairies.jpg

 


Authors Notes: Once again I would like to thank everyone for their nice comments. The good and the bad they make us work harder. Note I am on a beach working on my tan so most likely the next chapter wont be out till next week. Thanks again for reading! Take Care - Elsbeth



Chapter 10

Rebecca Rynders turned the keys in her little powder blue BMW convertible. The car stood still for a good ten minutes before finally pulling out of the commuter parking lot. The entire day had been a wash after her argument with Morgan. Everyone at the office knew something was wrong and wisely stayed out of her way. Even her boss mentioned that if she wasn’t feeling well not to push herself and go on home.

Rebecca couldn’t remember a time when Morgan actually stood up for herself. Usually, she would run off into her bedroom and sulk. Rebecca could handle rebellion Morgan just withdrew. Entirely different from her eldest Nichole, who started to argue with everyone as soon as she was able to talk. Was Rebecca upset because her daughter stood up to her or was it because what Morgan said hit too close to home?

She had always blamed the divorce for the problems with her children. The divorce affected everyone differently. Phil’s infidelity was terrible enough did it have to be with someone the children knew growing up. A next-door neighbor's daughter that used to babysit for her. Who knows what the two of them did together when Rebecca wasn’t home, with the children downstairs.

The BMW sped up as anger swept over her then she slowed down. Rebecca knew the anger wasn’t about Phil it wasn’t about her, it was about Morgan and how she felt. Rebecca could remember a time before the divorce. No, that was wrong she couldn’t continue to blame the divorce for everything.

Morgan had been right. The thought of losing her daughter was too terrible to comprehend. Why did she start to blame Morgan as if it was her fault? Her daughter said she was attacked why didn’t she believe her. That Police officer surely did, it was embarrassing. Rebecca knew that she was angry for the Police officer’s call but not at Morgan but at herself.

Spending time with Morgan should have been a priority, but she went to work. As usual her sanctuary when things became difficult. Maybe she wasn’t that different from Morgan after all.

Rebecca reflected that her relationship with her daughter was right now the most important thing in her life. She just couldn’t see it. Everyone else had disappeared in her life including her father, her husband, Nichole but Morgan remained. Of course, Morgan wanted to go with her sister to school, but Rebecca wouldn’t allow it. If she was so afraid to be alone why did she alienate her own child?

Tears ran down her face. Rebecca knew deep down that she didn’t do the mother thing very well. Of course, her mother was a nightmare, but even that was a poor excuse. Rebecca was a grown woman. She hoped that when Morgan had children, she did a better job. First thing, she would apologize to Morgan. It was the right thing to do. Beyond that, Morgan's mother was no longer sure what to do.

The powder blue BMW took the exit to Skogshaven disappearing down the small state roads. What the driver didn’t see was the detailed van with heavily tinted windows following her for the next ten miles.

++++++

It’s terribly strange that I actually found my mother apologizing to me weirder than turning into a girl and finding out that I was a Sidhe Princess. We discussed a few other things and had a nice talk. She told me truthfully she really didn’t know how a mother-daughter relationship was really supposed to work but was willing to do better. In the end, my mother broke down and apologized again. I was amazed, relieved but amazed. Usually, someone in my family would rather be dead than to admit to their mistakes.

I giggle at that thought, my hands going to my mouth. I realized that was a very girly thing to do.

Sighing I stared at the thing in the center of my room. I pushed it with my foot. The ‘box’ as I started to call it stared back at me. Deputy Rose didn’t see me exit the house with it, which was a good thing. At least when I walked away from her, I could feel a newfound confidence. Such an experience changed your outlook on life even at such a young age. I now felt rather responsible for what happened to her though I shouldn't. Deputy Rose would need that newfound confidence when entering that house.

Unspeakable things happened in that place. The interior of the home was like a tomb and smelled like death. Something inside me must have changed in the last few weeks as the old Morgan would not have handled it well. Bones littered the back of the kitchen floor, and I knew many of them were human.

What drew me to search the home was another feeling I was needed. I still do not know who or where that feeling is coming from, but it was a good thing. Those police officers were not ready to walk into that house unprotected. Those Fae in that black SUV were playing a dangerous game.

Pushing the box with my foot again, its lack of enchantments was unexpected. The box appeared to be ordinary. Being able to see magic since the change had proved interesting. Unfortunately describing it to others, I have discovered it to be almost impossible. Put it this way, how does one define the color blue to someone who could not see? Magic, who would have thought that the idea of it was becoming quite ordinary?

Tossed into the deep end when I removed Deputy Summer’s curse wasn’t the ideal way to be introduced into the magic world. Even so, I was starting to get the hang of it. A lot of it was instinctual I mean the Fae are magic but understanding why makes any spell or enchantment so much more potent.

I also have a great teacher. Even if it is in my dreams, meeting my mother every night fills me with happiness. She has also approved of the books I am reading. Some of the more interesting books were full of ancient theories of how magic works. I hoped to put it all to good use.

I pushed the box with my foot once more. My thoughts were all over the place, but they kept coming back to the box. Why would those creatures leave it if it was so important?

They had plenty of wards still set up around the house, which were the first things I removed. I did note that I needed to apologize to Diana, her wards couldn’t stop me, but it was rude to enter without asking permission first. Even if I didn’t know I was Fae, it doesn’t cost me anything to apologize. Moreover, it would make me feel better.

Besides the wards, they left little presents for the police to find. Nasty people those Unseelie Court members. Who goes and curses items for a laugh. I mean I am all for a fun prank now and then, but these items were ugly. All of the cursed items now sat underwater in the center of a small pound I found in the woods. Even with the curses removed, I would not want anyone to touch them.

I guess the box and its contents weren’t going to answer my questions. Deciding to hide it in my closet under some clothes, I reached over and picked it up. Suddenly a feeling of wrongness came over me, and I threw the box on my bed while heading out the door. I hit the stairs running not even bothering with most of them.

Reaching the bottom, I had just enough time to overhear, “You are a gorgeous woman Rebecca. Why not let me in and we can have a nice chat over a glass of wine.”

“Rebecca,” I yelled.

“I don’t know...of course please…”

“Mom!” She stepped back as if dazed. “Morgan, I what...” I moved up and took her by the hand. “Hey, Mom let me talk to him. Why don’t you make us some tea?” She nodded and wandered into the other room.

I turned to face the tall impeccably dressed Fae. Oddly enough, his hair was now black. “You’re without your duplicates tonight.“

“Ah yes, so it seems.” He gave me a very smarmy smile. “I am sorry to intrude upon your evening, your Highness.” He bowed very formally. “Shall we enter your home and talk?”

Honestly, he was trying whatever he did to my mother on me. I just raised an eyebrow.

“I see.” He shrugged. “I am Jobol, and I come with a message from my master. Eá²ghan High Sorcerer of Hildaland wishes to speak with you.”

“He is one of the Finfolk?” I asked my nightly lessons coming in handy. Hildaland is a legendary sorcerer island. Suffice to say the Finfolk sorcerers are not friendly people.

He seemed a little surprised I knew that. “Yes, your Highness.”

“Why does one of the Finfolk wish to speak to me?”

“You will have to ask him that I’m afraid, I am only the messenger. My master agrees to meet at noon, on a date and place that are of your choosing.”

“Let say I pick the commons in front of ‘Father Oak’”

The Fae looked very uncomfortable. “Might I suggest something more reasonable your Highness?”

I must be insane to meet with these murderers, but two things kept me from telling him off. I really needed to know what was going on. My dream kept coming back to me. Secondly, I had this sneaking suspicion it was my job.

“The Nordic, Friday at noon.” My favorite place to eat might not be the best location for a meeting, but at least I knew the area.

“That is acceptable, we agree, and all of the correct forms will be followed.” He gave me another courtly bow. “Your Highness.” The well-dressed Fae turned and headed into the night. Watching the Fae for a moment, I realize I needed to talk to some people.

++++++

Finding a section on the patio that overlooked the woods, I made myself comfortable. Worst case scenario if everything went poorly I might be able to make it to the woods. Whom am I kidding? I knew I wasn’t going to leave whoever was left at the ‘Nordic’ to their fate.

I felt those creatures arrive long before they took a step onto the patio. I recognized both from the dream. Goat girl looked the same except she was wearing her green hoody. Black leather gloves and sunglasses made the outfit. The Scottish Vampire did not seem particularly happy about being out during the day even if it was cloudy.

The second individual radiated power that mimicked life. The creature may have been dressed in an expensive suit, but from its corpse-pale skin, I knew it to be a Draug. The Draugr were Norse Barrow-wights of terrible power which JRR Tolkien based his monsters on. Without even a greeting, the beast took one unhappy look around then sat in front of me. Goat girl found a comfortable spot a couple of tables over.

“You and I have much to discuss.” It spoke in a very heavy Scottish accent, but it did not come from the Draug. Apparently, the sorcerer had possessed the Barrow-Wight.

So much for courtesy, I see. Typical schoolyard bully, luckily I was prepared for this. I raised my left hand and as if on cue, Gerdy appeared and placed a cup of tea in front of me. She did this nervous curtsey then escaped back into the kitchen. Taking a page from Diana’s playbook, I calmly reached over and took a sip of tea.

“I am familiar with the Baobhan Sith. We have met several times already.” I gave her a slight nod. Goat girl looked startled for a moment then smiled. I took another sip of tea. “However I do not know you.”

“Listen little girl.”

I could feel my anger rise and power flowed into me. “I am no little girl sorcerer. I am Morgan, daughter of Mab, Princess of the High Court and Arbitrator. You wish to entreat with us you will follow the proper forms or this discussion is at an end.”

For a second I could see something flash across his face. Was it fear? I didn’t relax, but I did feel a little more confident. Goat girl grinned and began to carve something into the table with her long black nails. Great I have a schoolyard bully and a vandal in front of me. Of course, most schoolyard bullies can’t raise a host of the undead.

“I apologize your Highness. We appear to have started out on the wrong foot. You are correct we should follow the proper forms. I am Eá²ghan High Sorcerer of Hildaland, and this is my apprentice Sile.”

“Thank you Eá²ghan by ash, oak and hawthorn I open this discussion.” I took another sip of tea. It was good tea. “So how may we help you today? “

“Your Highness, I am here to help you. As your Guardians are dead, I worry about your lack of knowledge.”

I didn’t feel happy about him mentioning my Guardians. “Indeed, Master Eá²ghan I did not know that Finfolk were so generous.”

“That is good you have some knowledge, it will make it easier if I do not have to explain everything to you.” Actually, I could see that Eá²ghan wasn’t happy, a little more control of the conversation had flowed my way. Yes, I was playing a dangerous game. The deck was stacked with centuries of experience on the sorcerer’s side. “However as you have now come into power you may not understand that the Unseelie Court has certain traditions. I think it would benefit us both if you assisted us with this endeavor.”

I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. “What tradition do you wish to resurrect?”

“The Wild Hunt.” He leaned forward looking directly at me.

I almost dropped my cup but instead slowly brought it to my lips then gently set it back down. “You are aware that members of the Summer Court find that practice abhorrent.”

“Your Highness living in the mortal world all these years, you might not understand the purpose of the Wild Hunt.”

“I see would you care to enlighten me then.”

“It’s to show that security is an illusion. Change is good, adapt, survive become stronger.”

“So whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger?”

“Exactly, adapt or die.”

I took a sip of tea. Apparently, members of the Unseelie Court and Friedrich Nietzsche have a lot in common.

“So chaos is good as opposed to stability. The deaths of a few should mean nothing, and we are talking about deaths here correct. What about the people who wish to live in peace?”

“Peace is a lie.” He growled.

“Right, and there is only passion. What are you a Sith?”

Goat girl looked like she was about to burst something, Eá²ghan looked confused.

“So what exactly do you get out of it? I don’t expect altruistic reasons.”

“See Sile, the little girl here understands.”

He was becoming less polite, but I ignored the little girl comment.

“Political power, something you can understand Morgan. Its Court politics some of us wish to show the Summer Court even in the height of their power a Host can be called.”

I made a face. “Why do you need my assistance?”

The sorcerer explained that there was a power that protected the town and forest. Removal of the being or forcing its cooperation with the members of the Unseelie Court would be acceptable. However, Eá²ghan voiced that the Guardian would never leave her post, so removal was necessary. With Morgan joining the Wild Hunt, she could help the sorcerer to power the spell to kill the Guardian.

“So let me get this straight. You are asking me to help kill the Guardian and then allow you to call a Wild Hunt on the town itself.”

“With your cooperation, we will limit our pleasure. We wouldn’t want another incident like that of the Roanoke Colony now would we Morgan.”

Like the Roanoke Colony? The entire colony disappeared off the South Carolina coast in like the 1600’s. A rage boiling in me, the creature was insane as if I was going to let any of this happen.

“Eá²ghan I have come to a decision. As a member of the Summer Court, I also find that practice abhorrent. So I reject your request.”

The Draug smiled evilly. “As an expected lass, it doesn’t matter. I will have your cooperation one way or another.” He took a good look around frowning. “It doesn’t matter girl whoever you’re hiding behind that glamour, they won’t be able to help you. Remember Morgan security is an illusion.”

The Barrow-Wight stood up and without a word walked away. Goat girl gave a nod, touched the table lightly and followed her master. Watching the pair go I wandered over to see what goat girl carved into the table, interesting.

With my thumb, I wiped the runes away and dropped the glamor. I felt a presence step beside me. I looked up at Richard Kincade. He was a bear of a man almost seven feet tall. Power just overflowed from him. The eldest brother and head of the Kincade family he had a commanding presence. “So Morgan or shall I say, your Highness, that is our enemy.”

“I’m sorry about bringing you into my mess Mr. Kincade.”

“Please Richard and not to worry, we’ll be happy to help you clean up that mess.” He turned towards Greg Kincade who stood with a few more members of his family off to the side. “Family meeting tonight Greg, your Highness if you please I would like you to attend.”

I nodded. “Let me call my mother.” I suddenly felt very protective of the people of this town, the humans and the Fae that lived here.


 

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So,

What did the runes say?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

looking forward to part 11

looking forward to the next part hugs :)

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

And The Plot Thickens :)

Enemyoffun's picture

This story is getting awesome. Its definitely fleshing out the Fae a lot which I love.

I can't wait to read more :)

That sorceror does not seem to understand

... that there are other powers in that town. But why that town in particular. The obvious goal is to squash the protections in that town and then it would be open to his predations over and over again. His flimsy excuse essentially is that being too civilized leads to weakness.

I think now the opposition might resort to underhanded things like hostages and such to blackmail her.

I can't wait to see what sort of help is available from the werebears ( there bears? ;) ), probably the witches, and other folks around who do not take kindly to being turned into prey.

Kim

The Sith comment was good :D

The Sith comment was good :D Peace is a lie. Peace is a lie people sacrifice their lifes for. Why the hell does he want a total war between humanity and the Fey? The only result will be millions of dead people and probably one species wiped out.

thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

Excellent

This story just keeps getting better and better. I loved the Star Wars reference. Please keep up the great work as I can hardly wait fot the next chapter.

Bekah

Celtic Scholar

Despite the similarity of spelling the sith in Baobhan sith and The Sith - as in Star Wars, is different.
Baobhan sith is, in Irish dialects at least, pronounced as Baevan shee.Similarly Sile is pronounced Sheeluh.
Tha Gaidhlig gu leoir agam, ma bhitheas ceisten eile agaibh?

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

EOF is so right!

This story is totally awesome! I liked to choked on my breakfast reading the Sith thing. LOL! Mr. Sorcerer or maybe that should Necromancer thinks she doesn't have any allies, but that's not true is it? I admit I wanted to know what was in those runes too, but I have to guess it was something I really didn't want to know. Very good story-telling at its best!
hugs
Grover

Old and new

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Loved the mixing of old and new mythology with the Sith reference. It seems Morgan is going to have a lot of people to protect, starting with her mother now that they know where she lives.

Looking forward to how the story develops and what is actually up with that box.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Why is she meeting them

Why is she meeting them without her Sidhe mother? I would have thought she would get more support from her Sidhe family.

Fae

I'd imagine her Fae mother is either (a) consigned to Faerie and cannot visit the mortal realm, or (b) doing so would be too dangerous - especially given what we've seen of the Unseemlie Court.

Following on from my earlier comments this evening, it appears as though Baobhan Sith and Glaistig are fairly similar creatures from Scottish mythology (although oddly enough Wikipedia doesn't suggest any links between the two). The Unseemlie Court remind me of the attitudes Poe gave to the GOOs in his mythos - humans are regarded as little more than ants, so killing a few (or a few million) doesn't mean anything to them whatsoever.

It appears as though they're counting on the demise of Morgan's Fae Guardians as a mechamnism to make it easier for them to recruit her to their cause - either voluntarily (as now) or involuntarily. It might be worthwhile employing some of the sprites that have been doing the housework to ensure no hair samples / fingerprints / DNA etc. are left in public - or anywhere the Unseemlie can get hold of them.

It would also be worthwhile finding out if there's any way the Unseemlie Court could obtain her True Name, since that would be the most obvious mechanism for forcing her to do their will.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Things are heating up Elsbeth!

In the old town tonight.

Great story, go get e'm girl.

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita