Adventure Waits for No Man - Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Jessie Edward Lalune is the son of a diplomat and a Mage's apprentice.

He has no skill in magic, but a sharper wit can hardly be found. He speaks six languages, and was trained from birth in the art of diplomacy.

Instructions - I write some stuff, give you some options and you vote for it. First option to reach ten votes wins, the option in the lead will win after twenty-four hours. Suggestions will be taken into consideration. Ties may be resolved with branching.

--SEPARATOR--

Jessie wanted nothing more than to be an adventurer, like his mother was, but his father wouldn't allow him. Jessie hated that, he was a grown man and his father wouldn't let him make his own choices.

Jessie's father used his political pull to have him blacklisted at the local Licencing Bureau. However, Jessie had managed to save up a significant amount of gold and has decided to make a go of it regardless.

He packed his things, salt, dried meat, cheese, ale, bread, a few scrolls and books that seemed useful. Spare clothes, utensils, an inking kit, parchment.

The question then, is what to do. Should he:

A - Explore his master's library, maybe find some sort of spell or artifact to help him.

(Seven votes)

B - Go to his best friend Eric, an Alchemist, for a potion to disguise himself.

(Seven votes)

C - Try to sneak out of the city.

(Two votes)

D - Break into the Tailor's and make a disguise, leaving enough gold to cover his expenses of course.

(Five votes)

Conclusion: He should look around his master's library, before going to see Eric.

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

B, it's always best to chose B

Plus, with the name Jessie and this being BC, SHE will soon have hHER adventure.

-- Snicker --

Plus rememeber mom WAS an adventurer. With HIS language skills, the mage training and the help of the alchemist friend SHE/they may well be unbeatable.

Maybe that's why daddy tried to hamstring his son's choices, afraid his inner girl/woman would come out? Was he even born a girl? We don't know if mom is alive. Or is she still an adventuurer and has left the father?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwa

How dare you steal my thunder with a faster joke!

The wit is on!

Abigail Drew.

Option B!

I choose you!

/Pokemon reference

Abigail Drew.

Adventure...

I could go with the old multiple choice axiom... 'When in doubt Charlie out'. lol But it'd be a lot more fun going with B so I'll do that also.

IMO

F. Yes, F.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Got ya

F is two more than D, so I'll assume you mean B until told otherwise.

It Sounds Like...

Jessie has already done part (A) to me, with the books and scrolls he is packing for his adventue. So he could easily have picked up an Artifact from his Master's collection as well, unaware of its real power and mistaking it for something more mundane.

So, of course, I pick B as the next logical step in the plan for getting out of town. :) With a successful disguise potion, perhaps greatly enhanced by some goddess's Artifact into a true transformation, Jessie can then go pay for a license. A lot of adventurers must use an alias on their license I would think, so how is Jessie's father enforcing his ban...by spreading around his discription?

And you certainly don't want to just take someone else's clothes from a tailor shop, you want to have them made to your messurement. This isn't a department store with a vast selection after all.

Some interesting possibilities in the teaser, so what's next? ;)

*cough*

Those books and stuff were his, as stated. Not his master's.

There are no illusion potions, that's a sustained magical effect thus needs either a caster or a magical "battery," but potions can and are used to change the body in different ways.

This takes place in the same setting as a couple of my other stories, there aren't gods in the typical sense. More in the greco-roman "human but bigger" sense. Change, and by extension, transformation is the business of the Autumn King.

I didn't say he would be taking clothes, I stated that he would make a disguise.

I thought the Licensors knowing his description would be obvious, why else would he need a disguise?

Come on, no one picks A

I pick A.

I mean he's a mage's apprentice. Even if he is magically inept, which was stated previously, that doesn't mean there's nothing valuable that can't be sold or traded.

Pick A

Come on at least then it would be her own fault instead of a friends fault.

01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101110 01100100 00100000 01010011 01101111 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101110

Hmm.

Option D seems to be about the best on for now. Taking things from his master's library could result in bad things. A potion for disguise is good, but if Eric is his best friend, someone is bound to start asking the guy questions. Sneaking out of the city would logically follow getting a disguise.

Maggie

That's why I chose B

BUT also implied Eric comes with HER on the adventure.

Helps to have an ally.

John nin Wauwatosa

P.S. And someone to keep the bed warm at night

OMG!

John in Wauwatosa

A,B,D,C in that order. Heck

A,B,D,C in that order.
Heck lets go for steal a dragon too

I agree with Maggie

Once the story has started you can even add oter things in the list but starting with D would be the one I would go with.

Vote for A

Can't wait to see more.

Ah shoize juu

...option A!

D, of course ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... as long as the disguise is as one of the Disney princesses; I suggest Mulan, as she can look and behave like a lady yet kick ass like a soldier. OR Ariel, as I like redheads.

(By the way, you're breaking the rules. "D" is almost always "All of the above".)

:-)

BE a lady!

A because

If it is A and he is not a complete stupid, there is a chance that he will choose a polimorph spell and get some control over its result and/or make it reversible.
Of course, it is more complicated than an accidental transformation, but it could be half accidental (the spell transforms in ONE aleatory humam shape).
Even more interesting if the spell must be replenished/cast again every day or something like this. This will force the character to fight to stay female, if he becomes permanently female it will be by choice and by effort. Not as a gift given from destiny.
And, there is the chance that he, now mostly she, will have always the ability to change to a male form. This leads to very interesting stuff.
For interesting ideas on this subject I recomend the book: Elminster, The Makings of a Mage. In this book the famous archmage is forced to remain a while as a woman to learn magic from a different perspective.
But, of course, when he becomes a powerfull archmage he can change genders at will and this makes him a better mage.

Adventure Waits for No Man - Chapter 1

Why not combine all four? Explore his master's library, maybe find some sort of spell or artifact to help him. then Go to his best friend Eric, an Alchemist, for a potion to disguise himself. then Break into the Tailor's and make a disguise, leaving enough gold to cover his expenses of course. then Try to sneak out of the city.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine