Origin Story

Printer-friendly version

Origin Story

Author's note: The story that is referred to here doesnt actually exist, so dont look for it. But if enough people decide they like this, maybe the story will come ...

Dorothy sat at her computer, reading and rereading the message logs for the last couple of days, shaking her head.

“I’ve got my share of eccentric friends who send me messages. This might be the first time I’ve gotten a message from someone who must be actually insane.”

Some might say Dorothy was more than a bit ‘eccentric’ herself, because she claimed that within her large male frame a female heart beat. But this message was far beyond the issues of gender.

It was from someone claiming to be a fictional character.

And Dorothy knew the character was fictional, because she had created her recently.

It was just supposed to be a fun little story about a guy who wakes up as a girl and then tries to figure out what to do next. The twist was that Dorothy didnt put a solution, but invited the readers to make a choice as to what the character should do next, seek a cure or make a new life?

But it stopped being fun when someone claiming to be the main character got a hold of Dorothy.

At first, Dorothy assumed that it was someone with the same name. After all, she tended to pick her names out of a random generator, and it was entirely possible that there would be a real person with the same name.

But with the same problem?

“Nano-tech is science fiction.” She wrote back, “Without some proof, I couldnt believe such a thing could happen.”

Then the person sent them documents, and suddenly Dorothy wasnt so sure anymore.

“Could it be?” She thought as she looked over the documents.

“Even if its true, what can I do for you? It sounds like something you should go to the authorities with.” She wrote back.

“Maybe. But I had this ... compulsion. I had to wait until you wrote the conclusion of the story.” the person messaged.

“But I never planned a conclusion. The readers got to make up their own ending, and I’d write the most popular version.” Dorothy replied.

“I read it. So my fate is up to the readers?” Her mysterious admirer sent.

“If this compulsion of yours is that strong, I guess so. You dont have any preference yourself?.” Dorothy wrote.

The person didnt reply, and eventually Dorothy gave up trying to contact them.

“Well, readers, its all up to you. Stay a girl or try for the cure?” Dorothy wrote on her blog.

“And maybe, just maybe, there is a real life at stake, so choose well.”

up
117 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Verry Interesting

A bit out of the Twilight Zone but a very interesting premiss. I would like to see more posted in this fashion so the story's is built as a composite picture with each installment slightly adjusting the story out come.

I had a lot of fun on the Care2 board working on a story where each of us added a piece of the story, cooperating by adding at the end of the others post preserving the general path but adding our own flavor as we went along. It was a highly cooperative process and a lot of fun. It was like a literary game of pong or shuttle cock. All done in fun and politely.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

I'm doing something like that with tels

in our "Understanding Rachel/The other end of the line" stories we're going back and forth with the story, each challenging the other to be as creative as possible.

Thanks for the comment, Misha

DogSig.png

Oh boy and they tell me I'm insane. Wow and OMG!

Somebody has to be playing a practical joke. I, myself, can make dozens of authentic looking documents having worked as a law clerk, paralegal, and in a typing pool when the attorney died. So, I know something about documents. The thing is, if it were me, I'd stay a girl. If I were a natural girl, I could bring new life in to the world. I could raise that new life. As a M2F TS, I could adopt a new life and raise that new life the way that new life should be raised. Oh, I suppose men can raise children, too, but there are differences, even if the man did not project a macho image on his son. Men care in a different way than women do, and we for the most part see a child crying, we just want to hug that child and let that child know everything is going to be all right. But, today, that is not a good idea for obvious reasons. You have written a very thought provoking short short here, Dorothy. Thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

thanks, Barbra

You're right that documents can be faked to the point that you could probably never be sure that it wasnt a joke.

I think most of us here have a touch of bias toward being a girl, unless the character would be unable to make being one work. But I think unless the character was trans, and pretty far into the fem side already, I'd suggest the cure assuming it had no serious risks involved, on the grounds they would not know how to function as a female and would have a lifetime of experience as a man.

DogSig.png

lol its cute

I can just see someone emailing you blaming you for all of their problems. Just like Tanya does....

well, you know me

no matter what, its probably my fault!

Thanks for the comment hon.

DogSig.png

Origin Story

What if somebody is pulling a prank, or she is sending herself the e-mails?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine