Jem...Chapter 53

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Caution: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

TG Elements: 

TG Themes: 

Other Keywords: 

Permission: 

Jem…Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Previously on the last episode of Jem…

I’m going over things in my head and figuring out songs when I hear Rayne sort of mumble curse.

“What? What’s up?”

“I think we’re being followed?”

“Huh?”

“Yeah, and I think it’s those guys from the other night it looks like their truck.”

I look back in the mirror and it’s hard to tell because last time it had been so dark out but I just have this feeling that it is. I call Mike on the phone.

“Mike?”

“Yeah?”

“That truck is it following us?”

“I noticed, I think it is.”

“They followed Rayne and me from our last date.”

“Huh, okay you want me to get rid of them.”

“Uhm…maybe?”

We’re in front and Mike’s actually in the rear with Brooklyn’s car in the middle and Mike stops his car and we keep going. I’m watching in the rear view door mirrors of the van as their truck drives past Mike and I see an arms come out and smash Mike’s driver’s side window shattering it with a tire iron.

“Shit! Mike! Stop the van!”

I’m getting out and Brooklyn’s getting out and yelling. “Mike!!!” As she’s running back there.

…………………………………………………………………..Oh shit, Brook! This is the last thing that we need to happen is her to freak out and to run in and get hurt. I’m so glad I’m not in heels right now and that I’ve had lots of practice running.

*** Brooklyn……

Kimmie and I were just hamming it up like we always do between us mostly talking about how angel had sexed her way sort of into getting us another gig actually four gigs that entire nights for all of them.

That plus our stuff at the Pine Tree’s got us into some serious money…well maybe not serious money but between that and the PayPal and the other stuff…

I mean Ange said we’ve got rent already!

I…I…I never thought I mean I had no idea what was going on until Mike stopped his car and I looked in my rear mirror and seen this beat up Dodge-Ram with a cap on the back stop fast beside Mike too close for him to open the door and then this guys arm comes out and all I see is an explosion of glass!

I bail out of my car.

No, no, no, no, no!

I’m running and I hear someone screaming. “Mike!!!” before I realize it’s me.

The truck hit’s me with its high beams and the overhead lights and I stumble not being able to see. I hear the squeal of the tires and it’s coming right at me fast!

***Kimberly……

What the hell happened?!

We where having just the best day. I mean with Mr. Powers being so cool and treating me like one of his own…something my own folks barely do. Then there’s Brook and Mike being all awesome and stuff and seeing her smile it just…

For a long time I thought after Summer betrayed us and stuff that she had something broken y’know?

We were listening to tunes and giggling over how Angel had so given the guy serious wood over her and stuff and the fact she got us even more gigs to play and how funny and cool it was and even the fact that Angel finally fessed up to herself and was admitting she was a girl.
Heck I knew that with like the first time we did her up at the house. I just sat there and couldn’t really see her as a boy y’know.

And she’s changed everything in our lives too.

Then this…

It was like just so…

Mike’s car stopped and I turned around to see what was going on and I seen the smash and heard it even and then Brooklyn’s jumping out or the car and running and I had to jump over the stick shift and jam my foot on the brakes!

Red headed Baka she jumped out of a moving car!

Then I get blinded when the truck turns it’s brights on and I’m blinking to see and that’s when Brooklyn goes down and I see the truck coming as they’re burning rubber to peal out of here and…

“Brook!!!”

There’s a thump that makes me scream.

***Rayne……

It’s them…

I was sure it was them and that they’d been following us from the four way stop just down the road from the Amsterdam Pub.

I’m not sure if these guys were dealers like Angel thinks. I don’t really know a lot about that stuff. Well sort of the only dealers I know are three girls that usually just have a lot of dope in the party scene from Summer and Eddie at work who just sells weed but he’s like one of those classic “like whoa dude.” Stoners.

It’s surprising that Angel as girly as she is knows that side of things but with her dad? Remy seems like that guy that isn’t just that guy but he knows a lot of people. For all my Raven bit really; I’m just a middle classed kid who grew up in the suburbs out in Glenwood I work at Wal-Mart and I’ve been trying to actually just make music and have my band.

Heck even the whole Goth thing is more camouflage than anything I mean how better to have people go well oh…duh of course she’s a dyke look at her.

Worked with my family…

But being gay…well being lesbian isn’t the whole great carpet munching joy fest that people think. I can go into a lot of the bad stuff but just for the sake of the situation and these assholes there’s plenty of red-necked-mullet-brained-sister humping-shitheels around that are so pissed that a girl might not want their humping slimy dicks anywhere near them…

Well they get seriously mad that we don’t have a use for the cock.

Like a couple of the guys that beat me up one night after Summer fucked off said to me and Tara the girl that I was with…

“You wanna fuck like a guy then you fight like a guy…but you a faggit-cunt so you’re gonna get beat like a fag.”

I’m lucky that I’m as big as I am otherwise I’d been hurt a lot worse.

But two months of bruises and peeing blood make’s you develop a red necked spidey sense some quick.

I’ve been looking for that truck around ever since they had seen me with Angel. That could be trouble in a lot of ways because I might not be able to fight them off and they’d try what they always try and if the did that then it wouldn’t take too much for them to figure out Angel’s not a genetic girl.

When we talked to Mike and he stopped his car I was hoping that a guy as tough as Mike would throw them off their game and scare them off. These guys are nothing if real fucking cowards.

I wasn’t expecting them to stop and cut him off from using his door and smashing his window out hard.

I wasn’t expecting angel to jump out and go running towards the whole thing. Shocked sorta, I’m where Angel is and I’m still dealing with the rest of that but…never mind later about that stuff. No Angel’s a fighter…Jase was a fighter…if Adam ever went one on one without his mob Jase would have kicked his ass a long time ago.

But Jase is really Angel and Angel is fucking the bravest girl…the bravest person I know…she saved me from getting hit by a car…

Some girls get a knight in shining armor and I have this girl in glitter and pink.

Who just duke-boy’d over the hood of Brooklyn’s car.

The truck kicks in its high-beams and they hit the gas and I see Brooklyn trip and take a header onto the pavement and the truck’s squealing its tires headed right at her as they’re taking off.

“Shit!!!”

I’m grabbing Angel’s phone and dialling 911 and reaching for band’s first aid bag…

***Mike……

Yeah I saw the tail too…

And I wasn’t sure who the hell it was but I had figured it might have been someone that Adam had hired to tail me.

Maybe Angel since she had said no to him and has treated him like the little douche-nugget he really is.

But when it got closer it wasn’t something I’d see a P.I. drive and it didn’t look like something an off duty town cop might drive this was a 90’s Dodge-Ram with a shitty body job and partly painted and partly primer cover and wearing a thick coating of mud…a real redneck mobile.

So maybe it was those guys that had followed Angel and Rayne.

I was all ready to stop them from following the girls any longer and do what I could to deal with them when they came in and cut me off from using my door and by the time I realized that the guy in the passenger side was swinging the tire iron at the door.

He’d done this shit before…

One you have to know how and where to hit car glass even the glass on a door to shatter, it’s safety glass it’ll want to just spiderweb. Two you need experience to know how to use a tire iron effectively really….and three to swing it and use the speed of the truck…yeah…

He’d done this shit before…

I try and turn my head and the window doesn’t just shatter and spider-web it explodes I turn my head but it still hits me like someone whacked me one it the back of my head and I tried to take cover…I still had the phone in my right hand and I try to blindly aim it over my left shoulder and snap off a few pictures.

I hear one do this calm little. “Heh-heh-heh…” laugh and then say. “Give’r.”

I hear the tires squeal and I look up to see Brooklyn go down tripping lit up by the high-beams of the truck.

Shit…no…

“Brook!!!”

***Angel……

Dammit Brooklyn dammit!

I’m running as fast as I can and I jump and thank god for slippery jeans that let me jump and butt surf over the hood of Brooklyn’s car.

I see her go down and cry out in pain.

There’s the flash of lights and another thank you to Adam I guess I’ve been high-beamed a lot and I don’t fall for it I don’t look at the truck. I look at Brooklyn.

Just her and she’s all that matter’s.

Getting her before the light gets her because if the light gets her then she’ll vanish forever.

I’m not going to lose someone I love!

Not again!

I grab her by her arm and I pull with every bit of my body weight and pray. I’m the second smallest girl actually in the group with Kim being the smallest.

We fall backwards and I clip the edge of Mike’s bumper with my shoulder and Brooklyn’s crashing down on top of me a second later and it’s that close we hear this raggedy thumping muffled rattle of the truck running over Brook’s sneaker.

The truck peals off and cut’s a corner and takes off out of sight.

I hear the rush of feet.

“Brook!!!” Both Mike and Kim.

“Angel!!!” Rayne.

“Holy fuck….” Me.

“Uh…huh……” Brooklyn……. (Sniffle…)... “Oh god…oh shit… (Sniffle…sob..)… “Angel…?”

“Yeah… (Pant.)..?”

“…… (SOB!!!)…”

Brook just loses it and she starts bawling and shaking and she buries her face into my chest….and has that shake fit screaming cry.

I hug her tight and hang onto her.

I sort of can hear the sirens in the distance.

up
295 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Eeek! A serial cliffhanger.

Eeek! A serial cliffhanger. It seems nobody is seriously hurt, but there's still lots to resolve here. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Jem...54 is here!

It kind of fills in the cliffanger but opens up other things. I hope it's enjoyed.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Entertaining and Educational!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

From a storytelling viewpoint, I loved the way you split the perspectives and used it to carry the action along. The way you weaved in some personal background on Rayne and Mike into it really enhanced the chapter. The action was great but the way you revealed a little bit more about the characters as well made it even better. :-)

Fingers crossed other than minor injuries to Mike, Brook (depending on how her foot is) and Angel's shoulder they've come out of this okay. Even better, if Mike got a photo of one of the attackers this could really help the cops.

Finally to prove that it's not just the cooking and music chapters that are educational, I also learned that breaking a car window involves more physics than I thought to do it right!

Thank you for another great chapter! :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks Jemima:) Not everyone dug the multi-POV's

But It was something to try as things were happening. Kind of leading from one dramatic bit to another. I'm glad that I've let you all know how to shatter safety glass. My ultimate goal:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Fun

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Well, each to their own tastes on the POV thing I guess. Personally, I like it when a writer has the confidence to experiment. It may not always work but experimenting with styles can keep writing fun for the author and as much as the reader derives pleasure from the story if writing stops being fun... well writers stop writing when that happens.

So, tune in next chapter when Jem teaches us to hot wire a car?



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

done this before...

then there will be an MO for the style attack in a data base somewhere. in this day an age that stuff gets noticed.
boy you're keeping us on edge.
great job, thanks

Yes true but it's actually not that uncommon...

smashing car windows isn't exactly rare in the whole criminal thing but add in cutting Mike off so he can't open is door? that'll add to the whole thing and might help. Not too many people think of doing that.
*Hugs and Howls.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Again? really?

Do you have the license for that truck? Anybody? Please? Okay Bailey you've done it to me again, and the edge of my seat is seriously in danger of wearing out as I sit waiting for the next installment of "Jem" Wonder-story of Love, Family and villainous cowards. Now that I have that out, and the pressure to sound like a reporter doing the news is relieved, I can mention how much you must have paid attention in cliff hanger school, that isn't a complaint exactly, just a note that you've been liberal in the use of said strategy recently. The shifting points of view works, but in such a short piece you might stick with just two, so to minimize confusing switches. I realize I'm sounding like a complaining ninny that should shut up and write it myself if I don't like what I read, but I like this, really I do, the suggestions are only thoughts going through my head, and being the overly straightforward person who lacks any social graces or abilities, I just have a need to share. So yes this is good, or even better than good, saving the day is always good, now just place the offending rear ends of some offensive animals carefully in the rack and tighten the tension until they scream, then tighten a little more and begin questioning, gets good results when done properly. Oh did I get too medieval there, talking about using a rack to question bad guys? perhaps, but then these people did just attempt murder. good chapter Bailey, thank you.

Draflow

I'm glad that you liked it Draflow, the multi-POV was just

something new to try out and to see how that might work. It wasn't too bad about a 50/50 reaction to it. It's not going to be a standard thing but I was trying to do like flashes of/for each person as things happened so fast.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Dang!

I've been very busy writing (I'm slow, okay?) and for the last couple days I haven't commented much. I'm amazed you've posted so much, and that it's so d--n good!

I really thought Brooklyn was going to see her end there. I'm glad you had Jem save her!

I don't want to be those guys if Mike finds them. Brrr. Scary!

I don't know how the system works up there, but ain't it time for the RCMP to step in yet?

No doubt, you can write, Bailey! Excellent! Wow!

Wren

Oh Mike would love a chance at them.

But he doesn't really know who they are or why this happened but he's got some lingering thoughts.
Thanks for enjoying this Wren:)
*Big Hugz*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

whew ....

No one badly hurt, at least. But they hurt Brook, and you just KNOW Mike is gonna want payback, not to mention the rest of the girls will want a piece too,. That's the amazing thing about a real family - you hurt one, the rest are out for your blood ....

Well done. I love the split perspective thing.

DogSig.png

Thanks Dorothy:)

I think you're right about everyone wanting a piece and Mike being really pissed about Brooklyn getting hurt.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

Phew!

No-one's seriously hurt, and while they may not have the license plate of the truck, it sounds as though there are police in the vicinity anyway who may be able to catch up with it and tail them (particularly if they're continuing to drive dangerously). There's a possibility that Mike may have been able to capture a snapshot of the perpetrator on his phone.

Although they're understandably shook up, the best thing they can do is to carry on with the gig (probably relying on Mitch and possibly others in the RCMP) for escort, to prove they're undeterred and will not give up in the face of pressure from scumbags like Adam.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Okay, so

Jem...53 will be out tomorrow, I won't leave you hanging:)

was technically right, but still, I feel a little shortchanged. But hey, it's your story, right?
Not to gripe -too much- but the multiple POV's? Soo not my thing. Sorry.

I feel a little bit sad, because overall this is such a good story. Oh well.

Jo-Anne

It was an experiment Jo-Anne, just something to try out.

Working with how fast things moved within the short span of this chapter. I'll still use POV's but not like that. You'll like 54 better maybe?
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Bailey, you are a 'B'!

Now I won't sleep until we/you catch these Bums!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Things are getting going but...

it's still sort of a slow boil really in the sense of the bigger plot and conflict.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Brook might not be hurt bad. FABOO chpt. you evil cliffhanger-er

The sneaker might not have still been on her foot. Did she fall because she tripped on a loose shoelace?

And even if her foot was in the shoe it all depends on mass/energy etc. The truck could have been off balance and she got less than the normal weight and force on her foot. Could have been a non-driving wheel and thus little or no accelerational/twisting forces on her foot.

Mike sounds hurt but okay. They could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, the tire iron. Or all the way up to multiple counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon, trying to hit Brook and Angel with the truck.
Time to take out the trash Bailey!

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Seeing as they are redneck trash and not a professional thugs or a PI they will rat out Adam and Scummer in a moment. Though on second thought I doubt Scummer knew of this. A bitch she may be but a murderous one? No.

Hum, odd what Mike remembered them saying. Almost seemed a woman was in it with the guys. Was the meth head mom in the truck too?

John in Wauwatosa

Didn't quite go like that but...

you're right about the charges. But what's actually going on isn't what the kids are thinking what's going on.
You'll see it'll get clearer.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

CRUD!!!

The one day Mike leaves his anti-tank missiles at home and this happens! Those jerks should get blown off of this world!!

OTOH they may talk and reveal that Adam payed them to harass, injure, etc, Jem and/or Mike.

Maybe even if Mike just had a RPG, he could have blown them away. I figure RPG's are a lot cheaper.

I'm glad that Brook and Jem seem to be OK.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Now someone has to do

Now someone has to do something. This was a bloody murder attempt. I so want to see those asholes dead or in prison.
Well Angel may have resolved her gender, but not the psychopathic spoiled brat after all.

Thank you for writing this captivating story,
*hugs*
Beyogi

OMG my hearts pounding like a

OMG my hearts pounding like a jackhammer, deep breaths, damn good story when it feels so real you can see it.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p