A Ghost Of A Chance 06

Printer-friendly version

 © July 2012

Part Six of Ten

Chapter eleven: Making more friends

    Valarie and Ashley were sat at the kitchen table when a sleepy looking Chloe padded into the kitchen and gave them a sleepy smile as she made her way over to the table and gave each of them a hug.

     “Morning sweetie. You had a good lie in this morning didn’t you?” Valarie asked as she pulled Chloe onto her knee for a better hug.

     “Morning mummy, Aunty Ash.” Chloe said just before she yawned. She’d already hugged Ashley, but they never spoke as Ashley didn’t think Chloe was awake yet. “That bed is really comfy.” Chloe mumbled as she cuddled up to Valarie a little more as she enjoyed the hug.

     “I’m glad you think so, but now we need to get you fed so we can get ready to go out.” Valarie informed Chloe as she got her morning hug.

     “Where do we have to go today?” Chloe whined as she was hoping to spend some more time sorting out her new room.

     “We need to go and see a man about a dog, well a girl about some kittens.” Valarie giggled at her own little joke.

     “Jenny called already with the number?” Chloe asked looking more awake all of a sudden.

     “Yes, and I’ve already called the girl with the kittens, and she hasn’t sold any of them yet, so you will have a litter of six to choose from.” Valarie explained.

     “I’m not really feeling very hungry this morning mummy, so I’ll go up and get dressed now.” Chloe said trying to slide off Valarie’s knee.

     “You will sit and have some breakfast and then take a shower while I sort you out something to wear.” Valarie said in a firm voice as she pointed at the empty seat with a cereal bowl waiting for Chloe to pour some cereal into.

    Chloe went to argue with her mum, but stopped and sat down when she heard Spirit speak to her from the other side of the room, where she was leaning against the sink, or it looked like she was leaning against the sink. Chloe wasn’t sure how she was able to do that without falling straight through it.

     “You won’t get out the kitchen until you’ve had something to eat sis, trust me on that one.” Spirit giggled.

    Chloe was soon tucking into a bowl of Shreddes while Valarie buttered and then added jam to two slices of toast for her to eat when she’d finished her cereal.

     “Not bad for someone that said they weren’t hungry.” Ashley said as she watched Chloe put the last of her second slice of toast in her mouth.

     “Sorry for lying to you mummy.” Chloe said looking a little embarrassed.

     “Don’t worry about it sweetie. I know you were just getting excited about going to get the kittens.” Valarie said as she gave Chloe a wash cloth to clean her hands and face with. “Now let’s go and get the rest of you cleaned and dressed.” Valarie added as she helped Chloe get up from the table and then followed her from the kitchen back up to Chloe’s bedroom.

    Chloe was soon in the shower while Valarie laid out some clothes for her to wear. Valarie wanted Chloe to look smart and very girlie when she went to pick out the two kittens she wanted, The girl she was getting them from went to the same school Chloe would be going to when they went back to school in a couple of weeks, and the last thing Valarie wanted was for some girl to see Chloe as a boy.

     “We don’t have anything to feed them.” Chloe said as she burst into the bedroom again looking worried with a towel wrapped around her upper chest like she’d seen women do in the movies.

    Valarie smiled when she saw the way Chloe had the towel, even though she had nothing to cover up there yet. “We can call in and get some food and other bits once we have the kitten’s sweetie, now come over here and let me help get you dressed.” Valarie said as she held her arms out to make a start.

    Chloe was soon in panties and a training bra with a little padding to give her a more girlie shape. Valarie tried to match the way her Chloe had looked before she died. Valarie also thought it would help the new Chloe to feel a little more confident if she looked down and saw little bumps on her chest.

     “Is Spirit in here with us?” Valarie asked as she sat Chloe at the dressing table, so she could sort out Chloe’s hair for her.

     “Yes, she’s sat on the bed.” Chloe said as she looked at Spirit laid out on the bed watching her mother play with Chloe’s hair.

     “I’ll need your help today Spirit.” Valarie said as she looked at the empty bed where Chloe had said her sister was. “Chloe is going to be meeting a girl that goes to the same school she will be starting in a couple of weeks, so I need you to help coach her on how to act around other girls so she doesn’t make any mistakes.”

     “You can count on me mum.” Spirit said as she sat up looking serious about her mission.

     “She says you can count on her mum.” Chloe said informing their mother, due to her not being able to hear or see Spirit without Chloe holding hands with her.

    Chloe was soon ready to leave and so was Valarie. Ashley wasn’t going with them this time, she wanted to make some calls and get the sale of her house underway, and also work out what she needed to get moved to the house, and what would just be surplus to requirement and could be sold off. Ashley waved them off at the door and then went back inside to make a start.

     “What’s the name of the girl selling the kittens?” Chloe asked as she sat in the passenger seat next to her mother.

     “Her names Stacy, and she sounded like a nice girl on the phone. She’s excited to meet you.” Valarie smiled.

     “Why is she excited about meeting me?” Chloe asked with a puzzled look.

     “I gather there aren’t many other children around here, with us being out in the country.” Valarie explained. “Most of the children going to the school come from miles away, and the Easter break means that most will be back home doing things with their families.”

     “Will it be okay for me to make friends with this Stacy? What if she finds out about my secret?” Chloe asked looking worried as she pointed at her groin.

     “We will need to be careful, but I can’t see why you can’t make lots of new friends.” Valarie smiled as she reached over and took Chloe’s hand in hers. “Besides it would look odd if you didn’t make any friends while you were here.” Valarie added.

     “I never made any friends as James, so I doubt that now I’m Chloe that will change.” Chloe said looking a little gloomy as she thought back to all the times James had tried joining in with the boys, just to be teased, and then the same thing happened with the girls as well. James had given up on finding friends and then even bothering with school.

     “You’re not James anymore though sweetie. I can guarantee you will have a bunch of friends once you start school.” Valarie said proud of her promise.

     “I’m your friend.” Spirit said as she poked her head through the gap between the two front seats and smiled at Chloe.

     “True, but would you have been friends with me while I was still a boy called James?” Chloe asked.

     “I’d like to say yes, but I doubt it.” Spirit said looking sad that she wouldn’t have given James the time of day back when she was alive. “But you’re not a boy called James anymore, you’re my sister Chloe.” Spirit added with a grin as she grabbed Chloe’s shoulder.

    Valarie was beginning to get use to Chloe talking to herself, or Spirit as she knew it was. Valarie smiled when she saw the misty image of her other daughter take shape as she sat in the back seat with her head poking through between their seats. Valarie almost snapped at Spirit to sit back and put her seatbelt back on, but remembered that she couldn’t get hurt even if the car did crash, so she kept quiet and let Spirit help to make Chloe feel better about herself.

    Chloe soon forgot her worries about everything when they pulled onto a driveway and came to a stop. Chloe knew she was close to having two beautiful little kittens to look after.

    They got out the car, but before they could ring the doorbell of the house, the door opened and they found a girl that looked to be the same age as Chloe stood there smiling at them. The girl had raven black hair and pale skin like she didn’t get out in the sun too often. Chloe thought she had a pretty face, almost gothic apart from the big grin on her face.

     “Hi! You must be Miss Ashcroft and Chloe.” The girl smiled even more. “I’m Stacy, please do come in.” She added as she stepped aside and let Valarie and Chloe into the house.

     “Hello Stacy, are your parents home?” Valarie asked, not sure their daughter should be letting people just enter their home like this.

     “Daddies at work and mum’s in the kitchen baking.” Stacy said. “I’ll take you to meet her, and also show you the kittens.” Stacy grinned as she looked at a now grinning Chloe.

    Chloe found her hand being grabbed as she was dragged through the house with Valarie following close behind trying not to giggle as she saw Chloe look back at her.

     “Mum! Chloe and her mum are here to look at the kittens.” Stacy shouted as she pushed the door open that led into the kitchen.

    Chloe had no idea what Stacy’s dad looked like, but she could see that Stacy was the spitting image of her mother.

     “Hello.” Chloe said with a little nervous wave as she looked up at the woman stood at a table with flour on the end of her nose and some in her raven black hair.

     “Hello dear, my aren’t you just the cutest little thing.” The woman said as she cleaned her hands as she made her way across the kitchen to great her two new guests. “Hello Miss Ashcroft, I’m Dorothy, Stacy’s mum.” Dorothy said as she held out her hand to shake Valarie’s.

     “Nice to meet you, and please call me Valarie, or Val for short.” Valarie said as she shook Dorothy’s hand.

     “You must call me Dot then, most people do.” Dorothy giggled. “I was just about to make a pot of tea, would you care to join me for one?” Dorothy asked.

     “I’d love to. Thank you very much.” Valarie smiled as she let Dorothy lead her over to the table and take a seat while she set to work making the pot of tea.

     “Do you want to go see the kittens Chloe?” Stacy asked. Chloe started grinning even more as she nodded her head up and down. “You don’t say much do you?” Stacy asked with a giggle.

     “I’m sure you can say enough for the two of you.” Dorothy giggled.

     “Mum!” Stacey whined. “I’m not that bad.” Stacy added with her hands on her hips looking more adult than she was.

     “I’m sure that Chloe is just a little shy, give her a little time to get to know you, then she can run away in fear.” Dorothy giggled some more.

     “You make me sound like a monster.” Stacey said as she ran over and playfully tried to slap her mum’s backside, but just got pulled into a hug instead.

     “I like her; she’s even crazier than me.” Spirit said as she stood at Chloe’s side watching Stacy get hugged to death by her mother.

    Chloe knew she couldn’t answer Spirit without Stacy and Dorothy thinking she was nuts, so she just giggled as she also watched the two of them playing around. Chloe thought it was just how her mother and Aunty Ash played around with her. It was something James' mother never did with him, which made Chloe wonder just how ill his mother had been before she died.

     “Let’s go and see the kittens.” Stacey said when she finally broke free of her mum’s grip.

    Stacy led Chloe into a little room that led off from the kitchen where there was a small gate across the bottom part of the doorway. Chloe looked over and saw a large basket in the corner of the room with a large lazy looking cat lying in it sleeping while kittens bounded around playing with each other. They were all soon trying to climb the gate when they saw Chloe and Stacy stood there.

     “Wow, they are all so beautiful.” Chloe said as she reached over and stroked a couple of them while the others all tried to bat her hand with their paws.

     “They seem to like you, not that they shouldn’t.” Stacy giggled as she saw how much the kittens liked Chloe. “I’d keep them all if mum would let me, but she says I have to get rid of four, but she’ll let me keep two of them.” Stacy explained.

     “Which two do you want to keep?” Chloe asked.

     “Any two will be fine for me; I want you to pick the two you like first.” Stacy smiled as she looked at Chloe and then back at the kittens all meowing to be picked up.

     “I like the smoky gray one.” Spirit said as she pointed down at the one trying to climb the fence to get at her.

     “It looks like he likes you, he’s normally the quiet one that just wants to sleep, this is the liveliest I’ve ever seen him.” Stacey said as she watched the little thing going mad trying to get over the fence for some reason. Stacy had no idea what sort of affect Spirit had on animals, and she couldn’t see Spirit stood the other side of Chloe reaching in to play with the smoky gray coloured kitten.

     “I’ve just got to have him then, and I like this one as well.” Chloe said as she picked up a ginger one in her left hand while picking up the smoky one in her right. “Will that be alright?” Chloe asked as she tried to keep hold of them both until Stacy helped her out by taking the ginger one off her hands so she could fuss the smoky gray one.

     “That’s fine.” Stacy grinned as she stroked the ginger one. “You’ve picked a boy and a girl, so the girl will be the boss when they grow up.” Stacy added as she held up the ginger one to let Chloe know she was the girl and the smoky gray one was the boy.

     “Thank you for letting me buy them off you Stacy.” Chloe said as she stroked and played with the little bundle of fur in her hands. The kitten was going mad as he had Chloe and Spirit fussing him.

     “Wow, he really does like you.” Stacy giggled as she watched the little gray kitten rubbing his head up and down Chloe’s chest as he purred like a sports car. “I don’t want any money for the kittens either Chloe, just a good home, and I can already see that they will have that.” Stacy added with another giggle.

    Stacy couldn’t see that Spirit was also fussing the gray kitten and this was the thing making him act so loving and also making him purr like a little sports car. “He’s just the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen.” Spirit cooed as she kept fussing him.

     “Thank you Stacy, I’ll spoil them rotten and make sure they are the two best looked after cats on the planet.” Chloe promised.

     “I trust you will Chloe.” Stacey said as she turned and nodded her head for Chloe to follow her back into the kitchen where their mother’s were. “Mum sorted out a couple of boxes for the kittens to go in for their trip back to their new homes.” Stacy explained as she walked over to a line of boxes and then placed the ginger one inside before taking the gray one off Chloe and placing him in the same box.

     “I see you found two you like then sweetheart.” Valarie said as she looked in the box at the two kittens falling over each other as they looked around the box Stacy had just placed them in.

     “I don’t like them mummy, I love them.” Chloe said as she threw her arms around Stacy and hugged her in thanks for the kittens. “Sorry, I got a little carried away.” Chloe added as she realised that she’d just started hugging Stacy like they were the best of friends, not that it would be hard for her to think of Stacy as a friend, she was that easy to like.

     “Don’t be sorry girlfriend.” Stacy grinned just before she did the same thing to Chloe as she hugged her back. “I knew we’d be friends the minute I saw you at the front door.” Stacy pointed out with an even bigger grin.

     “Why don’t you give Chloe a tour of the gardens while Valarie and I finish our drinks?” Dorothy asked. “You can both take a can of soda out the fridge as well.” Dorothy added.

    Stacy’s answer to her mother’s question was to grab two cans of coke out the fridge and then a couple of straws before she vanished out into the garden pulling a worried looking Chloe behind her.

     “I hope Chloe can cope with Stacy, she tends to be a force of nature most the time, but she’s clicked with your Chloe right away.” Dorothy giggled.

     “I’m sure Chloe will be fine. It will do her some good to make some new friends.” Valarie said, hiding the worry she felt about Chloe interacting with other girls her age so soon. She just hoped that Spirit was keeping an eye on things, and helping when needed to make their little deception work.

*****

     “Are you looking forward to starting school then Chloe?” Stacey asked as they walked out into the large back garden. Chloe had only ever known the city and concrete as James, so all this green and fresh air was new to her, but she loved all the natural colour.

     “I’d say I was more scared than excited.” Chloe replied just before taking a sip from her can of coke.

     “You don’t need to be, most the other kids are okay to be around. You do get the odd one or two that think the universe revolves around them, but I’ll soon point them out to you, so you know to keep out their way.” Stacy said with a roll of her eyes. “We should swap details, so I can help fill you in on things at the old place.” Stacy added all excitedly.

     “Details?” Chloe asked looking a little confused.

     “Yes, details. Mobile, email, and all that stuff.” Stacy said with a giggle as she thought Chloe was just playing around.

    Chloe was just about to say she didn’t have any of that stuff when Spirit stopped her. “Just giggle, like you were playing with her Chloe, and then agree to it saying it sounds like a wonderful idea.” Spirit coached her.

     “Sounds like a great idea, remind me when we get back inside and I’ll write it all down for you, but I don’t have a mobile though.” Chloe pointed out as she giggled like Spirit had told her to.

     “You don’t have a mobile?” Stacy said looking shocked, it was like Chloe had said she didn’t have a body part, or something worse. “How can you come from the big city and not have a mobile?”

     “Tell her you lost it in the move, and mother needs to take you to get a new one.” Spirit said.

     “I did have one, but I’m forever losing them. Mum says she wasn’t going to let me have another one, but I’m starting to wear her down.” Chloe grinned.

     “Tell her that you have email though, and you’ll email her your new number when you get it sorted out.” Spirit told her to say.

     “I hope to have a new phone in the next day or two, so I’ll email it to you, or just call you and let you have it that way.” Chloe smiled. “I can give you the land line number though, so we can chat on that until I do, that is if you want to talk to me.” Chloe added, not sure whether or not Stacy would want to talk to her that much or not.

     “If I want to talk to you?!” Stacy asked looking shocked with her mouth hanging open for a couple of seconds. “Your mother will be trying to prise the phone out your hands because she’ll be sick of seeing you with the thing glued to your ear, and not being able to talk to people herself.” Stacy giggled.

    Chloe did a nervous giggle as she worried about what Stacy would find to talk about for that length of time. Chloe was also worried about tripping up and saying the wrong things, as she hadn’t found that much out about the real Chloe, but she did keep getting old memories of Chloe’s popping into her head, so she was hoping they would help her fit in and hold her own against this new friend.

     “I really do love this girl.” Spirit giggled as she tried to throw her arms around Stacy, but just passed right through her. “I’m jealous.” Spirit added with a pout when she reformed on the other side of her. Chloe looked worried for a couple of seconds until she saw Spirit start to grin again.

     “You okay Chloe? You looked a little worried there for a second.” Stacy asked having seen the worried look Chloe had given Spirit on the other side of her.

     “I’m fine Stacy, just amazed at the size of your garden.” Chloe said trying to move the conversation on to other things. It worked, as Stacey was soon showing her around the garden.

     “Do you want to see my rabbits?” Stacey was soon asking as she grabbed Chloe’s hand and started leading her towards a penned in area on the other side of the house.

    Chloe found herself looking down into a pen with two white bunnies in one side and a white and gray bunny in the other side. “They’re so cute.” Chloe said as she reached in and stroked one of them. “Why is that one on its own?” Chloe asked as she leaned into the second pen where the white and gray one was on its own.

    “He’s a boy bunny, and they are both girl bunnies. Mother says I can’t have any more bunnies, if you know what I mean.” Stacy said with a raised eyebrow.

    Chloe had heard grownups use the term ‘going at it like bunnies, so she had a pretty good idea what Stacy was getting at. “Do they really do that all the time?” Chloe asked in a whisper.

     “Yep, eat, sleep and that.” Stacy grinned.

     “Wow.” Was Chloe’s response. “Do you have any other pets?” Chloe asked, wanting to find out more about her new friend.

     “We have some horses and a couple of dogs. Do you want to go see them?” Stacey asked about the horses more than the dogs.

     “I’d love to see the horses, but dogs scare me.” Chloe informed her new friend.

     “Trust me Chloe, these dogs are just big dopy and stand a better chance of licking you to death than scaring you.” Stacy giggled as she led Chloe through a gate at the far side of the house out into a courtyard with what looked like stables on the other side.

     “How many horses do you have?” Chloe asked when she saw the long line of stable doors.

     “We own four ourselves, but we rent out stable space to three other girls from school, so they can have their horses here while they are at school, but they take them home again when they’re on holiday.” Stacey explained as she walked over to a bag and pulled out some mints to give the horses that had now poked their heads out the open stable doors. “Grab a hand full and come make some new friends. They love anyone willing to give them a mint or two.” Stacy giggled.

    Chloe soon had a hand full and was making friends with the four beautiful creatures as they happily took the mints from Chloe’s hand, but not once biting her. Chloe had to look to her side when she heard Spirit giggle at something.

     “Sorry sis, but all four horses think of Stacy as their mother because she takes such good care of them. They all think of you as mint lady now because you give them nice treats.” Spirit explained the reason for her giggling.

     “You can talk to animals?” Chloe asked Spirit before she had time to stop herself, forgetting that Stacy was stood next to her.

     “I love talking to all my pets. They're like my best friends most the time.” Stacy answered Chloe’s question thinking she was talking to her. “They’re good listeners. I hope you take the time to talk with your two kittens.” Stacy warned with a smile.

     “I’ll talk to them so much that they will run off, or sit with their little paws in their ears trying to block me out.” Chloe giggled as she had a vision of the two kittens doing just that.

    Stacy must have had the same images as Chloe because she was soon doubled over in a fit of giggles. Chloe used this to look at Spirit and get an answer to the question she’d asked her.

     “Okay! Yes I can talk to animals now as well as humans.” Spirit said with a dramatic sigh. “And the black horse wants you to give him more mints.” Spirit added as she pointed to the large all black horse now making all the noise.

    Chloe still had a couple of mints left, so she stepped over to the black horse and gave them to him. He seemed to calm down once he knew Chloe had no more mints, and he was happy to let her stoke his head.

     “Wow, I’ve never seen anyone able to do that with him.” Stacy said. “He’s been a pain to try and train, doesn’t like anyone riding him. Daddy said he was going to have to get rid of him, but he’s been too busy with work to get around to doing it.” Stacy explained happily.

     “Ask if you can have a go at riding him.” Spirit said. Chloe just looked at Spirit as if to say ‘Are you insane, did you not just hear what the girl said?’ “Trust me, he’ll let you ride him, you’re the only one that he will let ride him.” Spirit explained.

     “Do you mind if I have a go at riding him?” Chloe asked as she stroked and fussed the horse that had taken a shine to her.

     “I’m not sure about that Chloe. Have you ever ridden a horse before?” Stacy asked looking nervous all of a sudden.

     “Tell her yes, loads of times.” Spirit said.

     “Yes, I was thinking of asking mother to get me one now we were living out here in the country.” Chloe said adding to what Spirit had just told her to say.

     “I’m not sure we have the time now to get him saddled up, and you’re not dressed for riding horses, but I can lend you some of my clothes if you really want to?” Stacy said as she made a mental list of what she’d need to sort out for Chloe to go horse riding.

    Chloe looked a little panicked as she looked at Spirit. Spirit knew why Chloe was looking worried, Stacy might see something she wasn’t suppose to see if she started letting Chloe wear her clothes, and if they were tight fitting horse riding trousers then that could be very bad.

     “We better leave it for today then Stacy, but I will ask my mum and then I can come dressed for it, and we can both go out for a ride.” Chloe said using what Stacy said to talk her out of it.

     “That sounds like an even better idea.” Stacy grinned. “I’ll saddle up another horse though; I don’t want to risk you getting hurt on this one.” Stacy added as she tried to stroke the black one Chloe had taken a shine to.

     “Trust me Chloe and tell her you like this one and you trust him to behave himself.” Spirit pleaded.

     “No! I like this one Stacy, and I just know he will be on his best behaviour for me.” Chloe pouted as she fussed the house. “If all goes well, I may even ask mummy of I can buy him off your father and then rent a stall off you so I can come and help to look after him.” Chloe added with excitement in her voice.

    Chloe wasn’t sure how much of the excitement was hers, and how much belonged to Spirit when she was still alive, but looking at the grin on Spirit’s face, Chloe got the impression that she had always wanted a horse, and now she was going to get Chloe to get one for her.

     “Are you always this stubborn once you make your mind up about something?” Stacy asked.

    Chloe looked at Spirit for an answer, but all Spirit did was shrug, so Chloe took that to be a yes. “Most the time, but I just have such a good feeling about this horse.” Chloe tried to explain. “Just don’t say anything to my mum yet though, let me talk to her about it later.” Chloe added, not wanting to put her new mother on the spot just after agreeing to her having the two kittens.

    Stacy was fine with that, and they made their way back to the house, but not before Stacy forced Chloe to go see the two dogs they had. The dogs looked like sheep dogs to Chloe, and Stacy had been right about them not being scary. They were all over Chloe wanting fuss from her, and then they acted a little weird, or Stacy thought they did when they started jumping around and dong silly things next to Chloe. Stacy couldn’t see the two dogs playing around with the ghostly image of Spirit, but Chloe could, and tried to help mask them playing around with each other.

    The two girls soon found themselves back in the kitchen where they washed their hands before sitting down to enjoy a freshly baked cake each. Chloe thanked Stacy for the kittens, and promised to email her later in the day before she left with the box in her arms containing her two meowing kittens.

Chapter twelve: You’re asking for something

    Chloe was sat in the back of the car with the box on the seat next to her as they drove back towards the house. She had the lid of the box open a bit so she could look in at the two scared looking kittens, but they seemed to calm down when they saw Chloe’s smiling face looking at them. They were also being calmed by Spirit’s hand fussing them from the other side. Spirit had her head poking straight through the closed part of the box, not being hindered by things like that anymore, as she had her hand poking into the box through one of the sides.

     “Looks like you made a new friend today sweetie.” Valarie said as she drove the car.

     “Yes, my first friend ever.” Chloe smiled as she thought about all the fun she hoped to have with Stacy. “Stacy said I need to get a mobile though. I had to lie about losing my last one as a reason for not having one at the minute.” Chloe added, not sure if she was doing the right thing telling her mother about telling a lie or not.

     “Every girl needs a cell phone these days, so I can see why it would be a shock to Stacy to find out you didn’t have one.” Valarie giggled. “I need to call in and grab some food and milk for the kittens, so I’ll see what they have in the way of phones while I’m in there.” Valarie added with a smile.

     “Mummy?” Chloe asked sounding nervous.

     “Yes sweetie?”

     “Can I ask you for something else as well?” Chloe asked very slowly.

     “Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like this?” Valarie asked as she looked at Chloe in the rear view mirror.

     “Stacy showed me that they had some horses and Spirit said a beautiful black one was waiting for me to ride him, so I asked if I could, but then Stacy said I wasn’t dressed right, and she offered to let me wear some of her things if I really wanted to. I talked her out of it for the time being, but I might have said you’d let me buy the horse and then rent a stall at their stable, so I can ride him whenever I want.” Chloe explained before she sat waiting for her mother to blow her stack.

     “So you think you might have said all that to Stacy, or you did say all that to Stacy?” Valarie finally asked.

     “I did say all that to Stacy.” Chloe said as she hung her head in shame. “I’m sorry mummy, but I just got carried away, and the horse is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.” Chloe pleaded.

     “And have you ever ridden a horse before?” Valarie asked.

     “Spirit told me to say yes to Stacy.” Chloe answered.

     “I’m not asking you what Spirit told you to say, I’m asking if you’ve ever ridden a horse before?” Valarie pointed out.

     “I remember having a donkey ride at a school fair once.” Chloe said as she remembered the time when James mother had taken him to a fair and let him have a ride on one.

     “I’ll take that as a no then.” Valarie replied. “Riding a real horse is very different to having a go on a donkey at a school fair sweetie.” Valarie added when she saw the look on Chloe’s face.

     “I’ll email Stacy when we get home and tell her I was wrong to say that you’d let me have my own horse.” Chloe said as she went back to looking at the two kittens playing with Spirit’s fingers as they appeared through the side of the box in different places.

     “I never said you couldn’t have the horse Chloe, I just don’t think its right to let Stacy think you have more experience than you actually have.” Valarie explained with a grin when she saw the expression change from one of gloom to one of joy on Chloe’s face. “So the first thing you do before I let you on the back of a horse is to tell Stacy the truth about your lack of experience.” Valarie warned.

     “Thank you mummy, you’re the best.” Chloe said as she sat grinning in the back of the car with Spirit sat the other side of her grinning just as much.

     “Either that, or the world’s biggest pushover.” Valarie giggled.

    Valarie was soon pulling into the car park of an ASDA Wal-Mart and parking up.

     “Wait here with the kittens and I’ll be as quick as I can.” Valarie said as she got out the car and made her way into the store.

     “I can’t believe mum is going to let me have a horse.” Chloe said as she sat watching Spirit play with the kittens.

     “She always said I could have a horse of my own one day, I’m just glad you will get to have it now instead.” Spirit smiled as she finally stopped playing with the kittens and looked at her sister.

     “Doesn’t any of this bother you at all?” Chloe asked. “Me having all the things you should have.”

     “No, because my mum is happy and alive still, and I saw the things you went through as James, and I’m glad to see you making friends and getting to live your life as a girl.” Spirit said as she reached across the box and took hold of Chloe’s hand. “You can’t tell me that it wasn’t fun hanging around with Stacy today?” Spirit asked with a grin.

     “It was lots of fun, and I think she really liked me, not like other kids in the past who just tricked me for fun, or just wanted to get me in trouble.” Chloe added with some anger in her voice when she thought back to the times James had thought someone wanted to be his friend, but it always turned out to be a trick, just to get the other kids to laugh at him.

     “Those kids were just being mean because you were pretending to be a boy, when really you were always a girl.” Spirit explained. “I’ve seen the person you really are Chloe, and I know that you were always meant to be a girl, and one day soon you will be a girl on the outside, just like you are in here.” Spirit added as she touched a hand to Chloe’s chest.

     “I hope your right sis.” Chloe smiled.

     “I’m your spirit guide, so yes I know, if I didn’t I’d be called Hope, not Spirit.” She grinned as she playfully slapped Chloe’s arm making her giggle.

     “You’re insane sis.” Chloe giggled as she playfully slapped Spirit back, but stopped when she saw an old couple looking in the car at the girl talking to herself while trying to swat flies or something like that. “Great! Now people think that I’m insane.” Chloe said after the old couple had got in their car and driven away.

     “I could save them the trouble of thinking it sis.” Spirit said, not letting any of it bother her. “Chances are you’ll never see that old couple again, so why worry about it?”” Spirit added.

     “Do you mean they don’t have long to live?” Chloe asked looking worried.

     “I don’t know stuff like that! I just mean that we are still a long way from home and they may live in another village in the opposite direction.” Spirit pointed out what she was getting at. “You have quite the morbid outlook on life, do you know that?” Spirit added.

     “I’m sat talking to the spirit of a dead girl that decided she wanted to save her mother from death by using my body to come back and force me to help her.” Chloe pointed out.

     “You’re never going to let me live that down are you?” Spirit said in fake annoyance.

     “Hello! Dead girl. How can you live anything down, you’re dead!” Chloe shouted.

     “Details, details.” Spirit giggled which soon set Chloe off. “Let’s get down to something more serious.” Spirit said when Chloe stopping giggling.

     “What would that be?” Chloe asked looking worried that she needed to help another ghost move on, but she soon wanted to slap Spirit on the arm again for worrying her for no reason.

     “We need to pick names out for the kittens.” Spirit said as she looked in the box that the two worn out balls of fur were curled up together falling asleep.

     “That’s the serious thing we need to sort out?” Chloe asked.

     “Yes, we can’t keep calling them him and her can we?” Spirit said.

     “True, but what do you want to call the boy?” Chloe asked.

     “You’ll let me name one of them for you?” Spirit asked looking more excited now.

     “You did help me pick them, so it’s only right that you get to name one of them.” Chloe smiled as she looked in the box at the two sleeping kittens. “I’m going to call her Angel, because she looks so angelic now she’s asleep.” Chloe added.

     “That’s a nice name for her sis. I think I’ll call him Smoky.” Spirit said as she looked at him prick his ears back like he already knew what his name would be.

     “I like that name sis; it suits him and his colour.” Chloe smiled. “Smoky and Angel, our two kittens.” Chloe said excitedly.

     “I like this look on you sis.” Spirit smiled as she watched Chloe looking all excited about something for once in her life.

     “What look?” Chloe asked as she put a hand up to her face trying to feel something that wasn’t there.

     “You look happy for once, and I can feel it flowing out of you.” Spirit said as she closed her eyes and looked to be feeding off it like she was getting warmth from the sun on a cold day.

     “I can’t remember ever feeling this happy about anything before Spirit.” Chloe smiled. “I’m glad we found each other, and I was able to save our mum.” Chloe added with a sigh.

     “So am I, but I never thought I’d have to die, just so I could find the best friend I ever had.” Spirit smiled back.

     “Do you really see me as your best friend Spirit?” Chloe asked as she sat up again so she could look Spirit in the eyes as she answered. “You’re not just saying that because I’m the only one that can see you?”

     “NO! I mean it because I feel as close to you as I do my mum and Aunt.” Spirit snapped looking a little angry for a second or two. “I’m sorry for snapping at you sis, but I’m not like all those other kids that tricked you.” Spirit said in a pleading voice.

     “No, I’m the one that’s sorry sis. I should have more trust in you by now.” Chloe said as she reached out with her hand to take hold of Spirit’s. “Friends?” Chloe asked.

     “No, sisters.” Spirit grinned back as she took hold of Chloe’s hand.

     “Even better.” Chloe grinned.


*****

    Chloe was nodding off in the back seat with a hand in the box resting up against the two sleeping kittens when Valarie got back to the car. Valarie was worried about waking her, but she needed to get the shopping out the trolley and into the car, so they could get home and sort out the evening meal for when Jennifer and Robert arrived.

     “Sorry I woke you sweetie, but I’ve got all the shopping done, and we can head home and let the kittens start exploring their new home.” Valarie said to Chloe as she sat rubbing sleep from her eyes and having a little stretch.

     “That’s okay mummy.” Chloe yarned. “Did you get everything we needed?” Chloe asked as she looked over to see if Spirit was still with them, but she’d left to do something. Chloe found herself wondering what Spirit did with her time when not with her.

     “Yes, and I’ve even bought you a new phone, or technically it’s your first phone, but you know what I mean.” Valarie said with a wave of her hand just before she started the car and headed towards home.

    Ashley ran out to help with the shopping, or more to check out the kittens. Valarie saw her older sister as more of a child than Chloe some of the time, but Ashley had always been the same way. Ashley had always made sure she was the fun Aunt, and she wasn’t looking to change that anytime soon.

     “Do you think I could get some help over here?” Valarie asked as she watched Ashley looking in the box with the two kittens in it.

     “Coming sis.” Ashley said as she finally pulled herself away from the box of kittens to go and help her sister with the shopping. “Those little guys are just so cute.” Ashley cooed as she took a couple of bags off Valarie.

     “Let’s see if you still feel the same way after they’ve left you a little present to stand in.” Valarie warned with a smile as she followed Ashley into the house with some more bags of shopping. Chloe was walking close behind with the box in her arms and the sound of meowing coming from it now the kittens were fully awake.

     “Do you think they might be hungry or something mummy?” Chloe asked with some worry in her voice over the two kittens making so much noise.

     “That and I bet they’re a little scared about being away from their mother for the first time.” Valarie pointed out. “Let’s get the rest of the shopping in, and then we can see about getting them fed and let them out of the box.” Valarie added as she put the bags down and then took the box off Chloe and placed in on the floor in the corner of the kitchen so Chloe could help bring in the rest of the shopping.

    They soon had the rest of the shopping in, and Valarie showed Chloe her new phone before they sorted out getting it on charge while they unpacked everything and got it put away, before Chloe went to see how the kittens were doing. Ashley put some kitten food in a couple of bowls before she sat at the kitchen table with Valarie enjoying a coffee, while Chloe let the kittens out of the box.

    The kittens made straight for the bowls of food and ate it all out of one bowl before they both moved on to the other one. Chloe sat on the floor crossed legged and watched them eat, and then both kittens started looking around the kitchen. Valarie had closed the kitchen door and the back door, so neither kitten could get outside, or into other parts of the house.

     “They are just so cute.” Ashley said as she watched the two kittens roaming around the kitchen looking for trouble to get into. They were soon bored with this and made their way back over to Chloe and climbed on her knee and then settle down for a nap.

    Chloe was happy to sit crossed legged with the two kittens curled up on her skirt while Ashley and Valarie set to work on the evening meal.

 

To Be Continued Next Tuesday  

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm Ecstatic!

I'm so happy Sara has decided to continue writting her stories!!

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

I want some cats!

Every time I read about people getting kitties make me crave them even more :(

Kim

cats

I love cats which is why i have them. They are a bit of a handful as kittens though and need to know the boundraies. You can't really train a cat exactly but you can set boundarys for them. Like plants are off limits and no shredding the couch. Using your fingernails pinch their ear as soon as you catch them doing something bad. Its natures way since mother cats do the same thing to kittens..well except they use their teeth and poke holes.

Aside from that they are their own person and no matter how much you want to hold them sometimes they wont want to be held. Other times its all you can do to save yourself from being covered with lots of fur.

A Ghost Of A Chance 06

Chloe is a cat girl, it seems.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Purrr-fict

Teek's picture

Great story so far. You are doing a good job at representing the children as kids. Don't forget to let Chloe to play with some toys now that she is a girl. A playdate with her new friend might be interesting.

I am so looking forward to Chloe shocking EVERYONE when she gets on that horse and rides it like no one else can.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Lovely writing

as always Sara.. I love the gentle pace of the story (apart from the first couple of episodes that is) Its so much nicer when a story is allowed to develop at its own pace and not the breakneck speed some seem to travel at , Its also nice to see Chloe finding a new friend, One that i suspect she will come to rely on in the future, Can't wait until next tuesday to see what happens next :)

Kirri