Kit and Kin 5

Printer-friendly version

tumblr_lw9mk16HxZ1qcnf9u_0.jpg
Kit and Kin

poetheather

Takeshi Saito was a quiet student who kept his head down in Ravenscrest High School trying to get along. But strange things happen in this small town and and the spotlight finds those who would rather hide. So Takeshi finds himself pulled from his happy geek corner to somewhere else, somewhere he is not sure of. Just another day in Ravenscrest.

Five

January 19

After a very tasty but traditional lunch, it was time for the big event. Presents and the party with the kids were scheduled after this as more of a reward for putting up with the old people’s traditions to come. He had fun, and got a lot of nice things, some things that he had even wanted, which was even nice. It was nice to hang out with the cousins he did not see all that often. They had a lot of fun and it was great but all things come to an end. Takeshi sighed and hugged his moms as he had to go and get ready for the ritual with the adults.

There was a shrine at the back of the property that only the adults were allowed to go to and all the kids were looking forward to their sixteenth birthday when they would be able to have their own ritual and get to enter the shrine for the first time. He had been looking forward to this for a while now and his heart was racing. This was really the first sign of him becoming an adult.

Takeshi was lead off into another section of the house that was closer to the shrine. He was really
nervous and not quite sure what to do, as he had just seen Shinto rituals before, not been in them, and was at a bit of a loss over what to do. This was a huge mystery and all the kids had theories about what happened in there and no one had let on what had occurred, so clearly it was a big deal.

One of his great grandmother’s assistants, who also served as a miko and was dressed in the traditional robes at the moment, came along to help him. She smiled and directed him to the bathroom. “Saito-sama, you will want to get clean first. Then, if you will, please put on the fundoshi. The yukata goes on lightly over that. Once you are properly attired, I will guide you to the shrine.”

The girl withdrew from the well-appointed bathroom, leaving him standing in the room a bit confused and unsure what to do at the moment. He knew he had to be purified before any ritual so was that what he was supposed to be doing? The girl had said shower so maybe he should start there?

The hot water felt good and as he relaxed a little, he realized he had been a lot tenser than he had thought he was about everything. Apparently between trying not to think of Dana, trying not to stress over the ceremony and all of that made him stress and tense up. He sighed and lowered his head against the tile, letting his shoulders drop.

Dana… he had majorly screwed that whole thing up and there was nothing he could do to fix it. Sure that poem said what he wanted to say to her but he had never planned on having it read aloud to her in class. This wasn’t some sort of teen romance movie where having a romantic poem read would reveal the heart and change everything. His moms had told him that this ceremony was important, that it changed your life in a major way but honestly, just how much could change? Would it change enough to dig him out of this disaster?

No, he had screwed up his life all on his own when he had lost focus and allowed his notebook to be taken. That inattention cost him everything. And that was not even counting the rumor going around that Dana had been in a relationship with a girl, if you could believe that. There had been no signs of that as far as he had noticed, just this new rumor that everyone was hearing. Takeshi didn’t know what to believe anymore. All he knew was what his heart was telling him and that said he was just lost completely to love.

He shook his head to clear it, water flinging everywhere. This train of thought really was not helping anything. He needed to relax and focus, to get into a proper headspace for the ceremony and not dwell on his heartbreak. That had always been made clear. One did not go into ritual with a cloudy head or bad things could happen. Well, unless he got his act together bad things would certainly happen when he walked into the family shrine where all the adults were gathering. He needed to stop acting like a child and start acting like the adult he was about to become.

Once clean he dressed in the white robes prepared for him. First went on a fundoshi, as regular underwear was forbidden under ritual robes as it supposedly blocked the flow of energy. Then he put on the yukata, lightly belted, as he knew that he would need to remove it. Given what he knew was going to happen before he entered the shrine he wished for two things: one, to have a heavier robe and two, to have been born in the spring or summer.

The miko who was waiting for him outside the room, led him from the house and into the garden. It was beautiful, with the snow hanging on various bushes and trees, lightly outlining the gravel path that had been cleared of snow. She led him down this path, toward the shrine, through some of the thicker foliage of the garden. It was fricking cold outside and the lightweight, mostly indoor robe did little to help him deal with the weather. Thankfully the heavier plants blocked the wind and kept the cold from biting into him too painfully. Takeshi had to use various kuji no in hand positions and mantras to remain somewhat warm as they walked through the snow filled garden. Just before another, smaller tori-i there rested a bucket of lightly steaming water. The miko gestured to the bucket and then held her arms out.

With a sigh at what was inevitable, Takeshi took off the yukata and handed it to the girl. Kneeling into seiza in the snow, Takeshi grasped the bucket and took a deep breath before upending it on himself.

The cold water was a shock, hitting his body like a thousand tiny needles piercing his flesh like daggers. It took all his focus to control his exhalation and not start gasping for air like a fish on dry land. With great single-mindedness, he slowly set the bucket back down in the same spot it had been resting, his muscles complaining the whole time, fighting against cramping, and stood. The miko bowed to him and handed him back the yukata. The slight warmth the silk provided was greatly welcome.

Crossing under the tori-i and into the shrine area proper was a very strange sensation, as it felt a bit like moving through oil or electricity. It wasn’t just the cold, this was something else and Takeshi was not sure what it was that he was feeling. He glanced quizzically behind him at the tori-i and then shrugged. It was too cold right now to stand out here and ponder this stuff. Maybe later he could try and figure this stuff out. Right now he really wanted to get inside where it was warm and not freeze to death in the snow. There were priorities after all.

Takeshi walked up the worn wooden steps of the shrine and sat seiza at the sliding door, knocking softly. The door was slid open, and warmth spilled out. He bowed to the door warden and then entered the room, the door shutting behind him. The room was filled with the adults of the family and they were all wearing Shinto robes, looking at him carefully. It was a bit unnerving.

He bowed to them all and moved deeper into the room and closer to the fire in the center, feeling the heat start to steam his wet skin. It felt really good and he closed his eyes briefly to soak up the heat that pushed away the cold that had smashed into him with the purifying water. One of his uncles came up and took his Yukata and he then stood there, exposed in the fundoshi in front of everyone. With an awkward shift he tried to balance himself a bit better but he was not sure what to do. Had everyone gone through this?

His Sousobo walked up to his, stood there before him calmly, holding a wand with strips of folded paper tied to it, looking like lightning bolts. Her voice held a tone he had never heard before and it commanded instant respect and obedience. “Takeshi, Child of Amane Saito and Grace McCormick,…”

Takeshi cut his eyes over to his mom who was standing by kasa. She was related to the Vice Principal? Why hadn’t she said anything about that before? And was that why they hated each other? There had to be some sort of story there. This he had to hear.

“…you are now sixteen years of age. This is an important time for both our families, both our lineages, as it is a time when you come into your family heritage and obtain your family gifts.”

Wait, what? Heritage? Gifts? What was going on? This wasn’t making any sense and Takeshi was furrowing his brows in confusion.

“It is doubly blessed by the inclusion of McCormick blood and their special traits. While we have little idea of just how those traits will manifest we are sure that they will not cause you undue… difficulty. This is the time when you become a Saito adult and take up our Sacred Charge. Are you prepared?”

Takeshi looked over at his mothers, who appeared a bit worried now for his safety. Undue difficulty? What the hell was going on and what did all this mean to him? He nodded in answer to his Sousobo’s question as words were failing him at the moment. What the hell?

The old woman then stomped on the ground suddenly, staring at him and he found that he could not move, that even breathing was a bit difficult, as his chest was tight. The family began chanting, some sort of repetitive something that was half Japanese and half yips, barks and growls. The scary thing was that it worked and sounded somewhat like language. His mind tried to follow it but it kept sliding off the words, like there was nothing there for him to grab onto, to make sense out of. His eyes widened into panic as he realized that something truly freaky was going on and this ritual was nothing what any of the kids had thought it would be.

Sousobo began to dance, slowly at first, moving the wand in a specific pattern that seemed to mesmerize him, catching his eyes. He could not look away from her, from the strips of paper, from the motion in front of him. She began to chant as well, different words but in that same strange language as the others. It made his ears itch and he kind of wanted to scratch his brain. What was happening? Had his whole family gone insane?

The words of the chanting pressed and rubbed against him. He felt like his skin was getting hotter, warming up from underneath, as if the heat from the fire was actually something cooling him from the outside. And clearly there was something wrong with his eyes because his Sousobo’s form was beginning to waver before him as well as her dancing picked up speed and her hair picked up a strange reddish tint. Was she even getting a bit taller? The words seemed to be itching his skin and he was fighting against the force holding him, trying to claw his own skin off. A scream was trying to bubble its way out of his throat.

His great grandmother changed even more, her face elongating, becoming more muzzle like, more feral, and it began to freak him out even more. What the hell? Was he tripping? He began to struggle even more against the bonds holding him but there was no give, he was being held fast which only fueled his growing panic. There was no way he could scream either as his mouth was not responding to his desperate urges. It felt like tongues of fire were dancing inside his body, eating away at his flesh and he wanted to yip and howl with the pain. The intensity of the sensations grew more and more intense until with an internal scream, he whited out.

Slowly, he realized he could move again, but things felt very different, different in a way that eluded his ability to define because these were sensations that were so unusual. He knew that he had never had these particular feelings before in his life and that disturbed him. His nose wiggled at the new scents it was taking in, so many and so varied that it was hard to categorize them. But it wasn’t just that… there were things about his body that just felt… off. What the hell had happened to him?

“Is he okay?” asked his kasa, her voice heavy with concern.

“Uhm… Amane, does his body look right to you?” asked his mother, confusion clear in her words.

Was there something wrong with his body? It certainly did not feel the same as before but it still felt like his body for the most part, so why was his mom so concerned. There was a moment pause as he opened his eyes and looked up at his mothers, who were in very sharp detail. Why were they so tall? When did he get so short?

“Look closer girls. I do not think that it is his body any longer.” commented his Sousobo calmly.

His mothers’ eyes shifted and focused and he turned his head and looked between his bent, red fur covered legs. He cocked his head in confusion at what he was seeing or rather not seeing. His mind tried to process this new bit of data but it kept failing as other things kept interrupting the processing. There was a loud thump as his mothers fainted, collapsing right next to him and all Takeshi could think as he looked at where his penis should be was, “Hunh… I’m a fox.”

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That poor Vice-principal

Though again, he may very well be getting a bit bored about it now.

Personally I think this is still kind of cruel to not tell the prospective tranformee what is going to happen.

Well we did suspect he would become a fox were but I wonder whether a fox were would be considered a minor were or not. There are the big cahunas of the weres: Bears, cougars, wolves and what not but foxes unless from a magical tradition is kinda borderline.

Kim

Well, family traditions are

Well, family traditions are like that, often times not very nice to the person undergoing them.

And as for where foxes sit on the food chain... that will be talked about in later chapters.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Well, family traditions are....

Elsbeth's picture

Well, family traditions are like that, often times not very nice to the person undergoing them

How very true :) looking forward to future chapters.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Foxes are alpha

Although almost certainly at the bottom of the pecking order - before this tale, the VP was the only known McCormick in town - and it's probably a safe bet to assume he doesn't own a mansion! There may have been a WoG explanation elsewhere, but at a rough guess, a combination of most of the family preferring to live outside Ravencrest and an ancestor who spent more than he earned would be plausible if not.

As the Wiki states, there are five families of Alpha weres in Ravencrest: Wolves, Cougars, Bears, Coyotes and Foxes. The Alpha Weres also constitute the only permanent Were residents of Ravencrest - apparently none of the Lesser Weres who attend the university decide to settle in Ravencrest upon graduation (or maybe there's some Unseen rule preventing them, so the balance between different types of Unseen and Norms is maintained).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

That is not a bad guess.

That is not a bad guess. There is a lot more too it, of course, but that is a pretty good approximation of how things roll. And remember there have been other Weres in town, such as Raven, who have had issues. Just because things are they way they are now does not mean that has always been the case.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Changes...

Even with a 'normal' change, it must really freak out Were teens when they first transform - especially due to the policy of not giving them the slightest bit of warning beforehand. Of course, what's probably freaked out his mums isn't so much that transformation, but that he's now a vixen (and in all probability will remain so after regaining human form)...

Now to anxiously wait until Ch. 6 is ready :)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Oh yeah, poor Were teens. It

Oh yeah, poor Were teens. It can't be easy, with the poor prep and then the traumatic transformation. Add in a gender change and loads of fun for all involved. And I do love that the moms freaked more than he did.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

McClintock connection

Well, I always suspected that Mr McC and Grace were related now I know. I also now suspect that the Saito family are not Were's but more on the line of Japanese Witches like the Imai and Umeki families. This leads me to believe that Amane is truely Takashi's father and that Amane underwent a more traditional MtF transition, something that I don't believe would have worked for a Were but would work for a Dud.

Edit: DRU Gazetteer has been updated. Payter Eketta, DRU Lore-keeper.

And now you know and knowing

And now you know and knowing is half the battle. ;)

The truth about the Saito family is forthcoming and is interesting. There are clues there for you to catch in all of this, so careful reading can give it away. As for Takeshi's parents... just wait.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Excellent ceremony

Seeing the different ways the weres do the ceremony is very interesting. Makes me wonder if any of it is really needed at all. The change would probably just happen on its own, but they have found ways to formalize it. We have seen the Japanese foxes (now with the addition of the American fox bloodline){so that means one of the rents also changed unless there is a LOT of magic involved}, the coyotes, and the wolves. Makes me wonder what the cougars and the bears ceremony looks like. Now it looks like we might have a lesser Raven to watch, and we saw the imported nereid change with no real ceremony.

This change may solve all his problems or it may stir up a hornet's nest for him. At least he may have a shot at his true love now. Another new girl and another missing boy. But the magic takes care of too much curiosity.

The rational for Ceremony is

The rational for Ceremony is very culturally bound. Takeshi is going to ask and therefore there is going to be an answer as to why the Ceremony, so don't worry. It is interesting and different and fits with the truth of the Saito family and how they fit into things. Adding in the other bloodline is bound to have an interesting effect, so that will be fun to see what happens.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I assumed that the purpose of

I assumed that the purpose of the various ceremonies was to make the transition less traumatic. Magic or alcohol, you try to deaden the nerves to reduce the pain of the initial change. Over time, the actual purpose of it would end up subsumed into more symbolic gestures. "Jest looks better, y'kin?"


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Well.

It's not as if we didn't know this was coming. :) This is Big Closet after all.
So nice to see more!
hugs
Grover

Wait, you mean this wasn't a

Wait, you mean this wasn't a surprise to anyone?

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Oh gods. PUN ALERT. "Huh.

Oh gods. PUN ALERT.

"Huh. I'm a fox."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

This time it was quite

This time it was quite literal as he was in a fox form, but yes, there is a bit of wordplay there as well. I can't help myself.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Some things...

Some things are just too difficult to resist.

Some have said I am rather

Some have said I am rather weak willed at resisting certain types of word play.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Yup, yup. You're predictable

Yup, yup. You're predictable in your pun-ishment.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Kit and Kin 5

A were-fox, eh? Male, or female? Or is 'FOX' to mean that he is now a she?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The change

There was a loud thump as his mothers fainted, collapsing right next to him and all Takeshi could think as he looked at where his penis should be was, “Hunh… I’m a fox.”

The bolded part is my addition. I will let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Payter nailed it in one.

Payter nailed it in one. There is also the comment his great grandmother made to that effect as well, implying that he was no longer a he. If you think about it, why would his mothers faint from him being a fox? They knew that was going to happen. No, they fainted from something actually shocking, the gender change.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Failed Gather Information roll or OverConfidence.

So his (her) moms missed out on the Were rumor mill or they thought: "Ha, We're Ninja. We are Just Too Cool to get ours zapped like that."
*g*

Or there are other factors

Or there are other factors going on that are contributing to this whole mess. ;)

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

I'm a fox.... O.M.G.!

Fox as in a fury dog sized predator and fox as in a HOTTIE... AKA a sexy young woman.

Hum... might not be a bad deal for him, um her IF the rumor about his dream girl, Dana, is true and she is a lesbian. HER luck, she will be straight.. her or Dana or both.

But our KIND authoress would never be THAT cruel.

Another plus is no one will recognise HER.

The guys will hit on the fresh meat though.

The school principal is still a question mark.

What is the conflict?

Also as the Japanise family were witches and the McCormicks were were's -- I thought Mc Cormicks were reapers? BAAAAD farm machinery joke -- does this imply SHE is potentally a magic weilding were?

THAT would make her a seriuos *player* amongst the greater weres in town.

BTW time to end the "let's beat me up and not fight back" ninja training. There is being covert, hidding your true ablities, and there is being a patsy.

I also agree this NOT telling the children of what will happen on their 16th birthday is STUPID and FUC*ING cruel.

-- grin --

Neat little universe here.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Yeah, I am never that cruel.

Yeah, I am never that cruel. :)

And I am surprised by how much supposition is going into this. Hee... well, all will be revealed in the next chapter. Then a lot of questions will be answered.

As for the patsy thing... well, that is also going to come to a resolution.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

there are

Japanese foxes too.

Yes there are. I am very

Yes there are. I am very familiar with them as a matter of fact.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

if there are

were's here there would be were's all over the world in hidden places.

No one ever said that this

No one ever said that this place and Skogshaven were the only places, in fact it is implied rather heavily that there are a number of places all over the world.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Times change, but-

- Traditions don't. Back before the age of reason not telling the kids what was coming had some good points. You didn't want the kid to spill the beans and have the villagers show up at your front door step with the pitchforks and torches.

However, this is the 21st century! Most wouldn't believe the kid anyway. What keeping this tradition means since magic and the supernatural is generally disbelieved, the poor kids have no frame of reference. You just smashed their entire reality.

Trauma anyone?

Fortunately, even teens are rather resilient.

Yes, I did notice the pun but was doing my very best to ignore it. Thanks a lot, geez!

hugs
Grover

Yeah, traditions are a

Yeah, traditions are a problematic thing, as shown in all the stories. There is a reason for that. Old beliefs and ways tend to stay with groups that are insular and these groups have shown a propensity to be insular.

And yeah, a lot of this can be traumatic but yeah teens are resilient. They can cope with these things if there are things that can mitigate these factors. Supernatural abilities can help with this.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Still traditions should still be examined

... and not blindly followed, which is Grover's point. The tradition of Kosher food is one such example. Parts of it make sense but a lot of it, in light of modern farm practices, make no sense, especially the consumption of pork which is 'unclean' back then but hardly the case now.

God forbid Jews participate in space travel in the far flung future and have to eat what is available on a planet with indigenous fauna that is outside of biblical experience. So what is kosher, now ?

Kim

That's actually kind of

That's actually kind of listed, in a way. The Kosher 'rules' are a list of what _type_ of beasts are allowable to eat, or not to eat, rather than just a list of 'don't eat pigs or shellfish, but you can eat beef and lamb'.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Well I spoke with an observant Jewess in my work

And yes, what happens if we do run into a form of life that is not listed. She freely admits then it would have to be reexamined. The categories themselves are arbitrary for their time. It is not merely a cultural thing, imho, but a consequence of what was considered 'safe' in their time and place to eat. These things become enshrined in their cultural document to ensure compliance. To not review periodically little no more sense then having laws on the books that have no relevance any more and should be struck down.

Sure some basic tenets of a faith cannot be removed without destruction of the faith itself but items clearly not deity worship related and more for basic cultural enforcement that is valid for their time (Deuterotomy any one?) would make sense to be reexamined.

Kim

Traditions do need to be

Traditions do need to be looked at, but judging a cultural's beliefs from the outside is not really a good thing. There may still be very good reasons for those practices for those traditions when viewed from within the cultural matrix that an outsider cannot see. That is why the idea of Cultural Relativism is so important.

Great, now I'm crossing the streams here. Next time on 300 Rains, supernatural teenagers will try to understand Amazonian tribes. That would be a hoot.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

There's one good thing that

There's one good thing that will come out of this. He won't have to hide his light under a bushel anymore. She will be able to be a more 'kick-ass' kind of girl, rather than the timid boy. Another excellent way to hide the "Takashi left, and Kumiko showed up, but they act the same!" moments - without too much magic.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Ah... thank you for playing

Ah... thank you for playing the home game. Yes, there are reasons for playing that role, and this is one of them. If anything happens you can step into a new role more in line with your true personality with no one the wiser. That does help matters to a degree or rather it can help. It is after all up to him/ her to make the most of the opportunity.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Hm.. "We are ninja, we rule

Hm.. "We are ninja, we rule the night. At least, when we can wear our Jimmy Choos and Prada."


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Jimmy Choos are terrible to

Jimmy Choos are terrible to sneak around in.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

It depends on how you're

It depends on how you're sneaking :)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I never underestimate the

I never underestimate the sneakiness.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Here we go.

French Ninjas.

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff1100/fv01076.htm

(start there, go about 10 strips forward)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Not mentioned at this point.

Not mentioned at this point.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Great story

Right now it's my most anticipated story of RavenCrest universe:)

Short chapters and long waits is killing me!

Sorry about the long waits.

Sorry about the long waits. This was not intentional. And I am very glad you are enjoying the story.

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

Takeshi and I had both were impatient

It is hard when the life around causes a conflict
The conflict is within more than we realize
His change may cause a new conflict of feelings for Dana
I have learned to wait, though it is no easier today.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Halfbreed

So is she a kitsune or a Fox.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna