Jem...Chapter 59

Printer-friendly version

Jem…Chapter 59

Chapter 59

I get myself ready with a light shower and just getting into some comfortable underwear and stuff as the girls are getting ready to head over to Dad’s we’re having Sunday dinner there and hopefully it’ll be a weekly thing. Two more mouths to feed too and they’re guys. The roast is big enough as long as I make extras of the other stuff.

I leave my hair loose to air dry and slip a scrunchie around my wrist and get some of my things together and then the stuff from the kitchen. I take bread and rolls and that’s good that’ll mean that I don’t have to bake those and dad should have the rest and the last thing I get is the roast and we head off to Dad’s with a quick stop at The Super Store for a few things.

Lemon pie filling, Kraft caramel cubes, horse radish, caraway seeds.

Rayne’s looking at me. “Okay the pie filling I get and the horse radish I’ve heard goes with roast beef but the other stuff?”

“Mom’s seasoning salt for the beef and the cubes are going into dessert.”

“Dessert?”

“You’ll see.”

We pull into the yard at the house and Dad comes out to help me and the girls set up out stuff and Mike too while we unload the food and the band stuff since we’re spending the day here we thought we’d slip online and get some practice in too.

The first thing I do is get the BBQ going and grab some smoking chips from the plastic tub they’re smoking in and get the thing good and hot while I add more salt and pepper to the outside of the roast and some garlic powder too. When it’s ready I toss on the wood chips and then the roast. I put the roast on and I want the grill marks and effects on the outside of the roast and the hint of good BBQ smoke. Dad only uses apple wood chips and that’ll be good enough for this.

I peel a big pot of potatoes and get them on the stove inside and some bagged frozen mixed veggies ready to go and then get the roast off the grill and into the roaster with some celery and carrots and about six onions just cut into chunks and some water and what was left of dad’s morning pot of coffee. You can just sort of do stuff on the fly. I put it on and let it go.

Next is the salt…and that’s just the caraway seed and celery seeds in the spice grinder with some black peppercorns and when it’s done I pour it into a bowl with some garlic powder, some onion powder and some salt and shake it up and them pour it into a shaker. My Mom used to make this for stuff like steaks and roast beef; I think it was something she grew up with. Then the horseradish sauce…that’s a thing from Dad’s side of the family and its horseradish and some mayonnaise and a small thing of sour cream and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Oy…just mixing the stuff up will clear out your nose.

I get the pies ready to bake off one’s a simple lemon pie and I’ll do the meringue just before I bake it and the other is an apple pie and since dad has lots of apples I make it a square pie in his/our big rectangular cake tin and I toss in some butter into the pie filling along with brown sugar bur more importantly those Kraft caramel squares by the time it bakes they’ll be all melty gooey loveliness.

Well I’m done faster than I though and I head outside and sit with Rayne with a coffee and watch the guys putting a new window into the drivers side door of Mike’s car and then watch as Brooklyn helps him and the Dad’s tape off all the windows and chrome and get the car ready to be sanded and prepped for a much needed paint job.

It’s kind of relaxing and stuff and a nice way to relax and spend a fall day sipping coffee and watching then and just playing around with the guitars.

Rayne starts on a set of sweet chords and she’s humming…I hum with her and we kind of go back and forth and then she starts with some words and I chime in with some of mine that I think will go with the things that she’s coming up with and it takes another two cups of coffee and about two hours sheet music included and they’ve got the car sanded and primered and drying but Rayne and I have a new song done.

*Who’d Ever Think?*

I love you……
From my heart.
I’ll love you forever….
Just you.

Those wonderful days with you by my side.
You’re so like the sunshine……. you make my life bright…….
You’re my moon…beam…you light up my nights….
You make me smile even asleep….

I love you….
From my heart…
I can’t help but freefall over you…

I love the mornings…..
When you see me and smile….
I love you make me coffee…
Did you know that when we’re apart…..
I’m counting down on fingers and toes….
I’m counting the time away…
Each and everyday.

(Chorus) Who’d ever think…..?
That I’d ever be…
This happy……
Who’d ever think…?
That I could fall in love?
That it could be me….
That I’d be happy….!
Oh smiling and feeling…!
And tasting your lipstick!

I love you….
And everything about you…..
Like when you scratch my legs…
As you bury your feet.

I love you…
Because you use my toothbrush.
And the way that you smell when I wake up in the mornings.

“Chorus.”

I love you…
Because you’re different…
The way sometimes you’re out there.
Making this your own world.

I love you…
Just because…
I can’t sometimes explain it.
Eating jam right from the jar….
Drinking milk right from the carton.

“Chorus.”

I love you….
I can’t tell you enough…But I’ll keep trying….
Hoping I’m not dreaming…..
I love you…
And I’m still amazed….
That you found away……
To love me….too……

It’s a good song for a Tuesday night show all melodic high notes but also long and drifty too in this almost dreamy girly way really and it’s actually good, really good with Rayne and I both singing it as a back and forth duet.

I can’t help but notice the light in her eyes when we do this. I hope she can see that this is just as special and just as deep and private or rather a personal thing for me too. I put my heart into my stuff even if it’s this light girly soft romantic stuff.

It’s like this connection.

It’s even maybe kind of like making love in our own way.

Especially when we get to sing together and there’s this synergy that forms between us. Like we can sense the way my voice will mix with her voice and my notes and chords will blend with her chords.

Yeah….I am so smiling as we lean over about the same time and we kiss each other long and sweet and deep and slowly.

It’s more progress really with our songs and we’re creeping closer and closer to an album’s worth of our own material. That’s a good thing really and after I check on things we get back to playing and running through our songs and covers with Brooklyn joining in and Kimmie as we play in the garage proper and get some real practice in.

Part way through we get Mike to check the lighting and to set up the cameras and we start to play some more practice songs and we’re doing it live as a thing for our fans on our site.

We play all of our songs and we sing the first two verses of *Who’d ever think* I smile into the camera leaning over before turning it off and showing a bit of bra/boob…

“That’s the intro to our new single that we just wrote here today and if you guys want to see more tune into the sites for the debut of Who’d ever think on Tuesday nights gig show and we can all talk about what you guys think about it. Peace and love everyone! Be outrageous!”

I kill the cameras and Rayne’s looking at me. “Be outrageous?”

“It’s a Jem thing.”

“Oh, okay….that’s sort of geeky cool.”

“Yes and I’m not a carbon copy of her so no copyright infringement I’m a cosplayer-slash-singer.”

“Oh with the pink hair you could dress up as an older Rinni.”

“Who?”

“Sailor Moon’s little sister.”

“Oh….wait does that me you just want to see me in a sailor whatever costume?”

“Maybe…” Rayne smiles and she dimples when she does. “Maybe I want to see you in all sorts of costumes?”

“Like…?”

“Oh you’ll see.”

I bite my lower lip sort of smiling and there is something going off in my head that’s kind of excited about all of this costume stuff.

There’s the sound of a car pulling in and I look up to see a nice rental car pulling in and parking and then the Dad’s heading over to it and these two guys get out. One’s average height but he’s long haired and scruffy looking and wearing full on biker stuff and he looks just…right rough around the edges.

He does this swinging his arm into Dad’s and they grip forearms like they’ve know each other for awhile. There’s this side of Dad coming out that I’ve only sort of known. This has to be the help that Uncle Johnny had sent us.

The other guy is taller but clean shaven and a brighter colored blond with short cut hair and he’s just in plain clothes and a nice leather jacket. He’s bigger than the other guy too; actually he’s the biggest guy here at like close to like what must be well over six feet. He reaches into the back seat and gets a large insulated thermos camping bag and he asks dad something and he walks over my way.

Mike’s a gym rat and he’s built but this guy is built too…and he’s handsome and sort of scary in that way too quiet way…..in a good way. I’m so getting some of that why girls like the bad boys because this guy is just that whole example…

Like I just said, scary but in a really good way.

“You’re Angel right?”

“Yes…”

“You’re cousin Jenna sent these along.”

He passes me the bag and I carefully open it not knowing what’ll be inside because she’s well….well she’s hooked up with guys like this?

I get hit with this aroma of icing and them bread but this sweet, sweet scent of really great cinnamon. I look inside and there’s these cinnamon buns in there all wrapped up in waxed paper and even cling wrap and I can still smell how good they are through all of that.

“Wow…uhm tell her thanks…”

He nods and he inhales through hid nose taking a few steps towards the house.

“Yep…you’re a Powers woman alright. Damn that smells good.”

I can’t help but feel pleased enough that I’m blushing.

up
285 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ahhh a slice of one of my favorites

Ahhh a slice of one of my favorites, and Bailey delivers everytime, Thank you Bailey, needed my fix of this good stuff.

Draflow

Hot stuff on a hot day.

Trying to stay cool on one of the hotter days in the Pacific Northwest so Here I am stuck wrangling my two girls who are having a mock cat fight on my bed on top of me. They wanted to wake me up and were competing as to who did the evil chore.
After untangling them and chasing them out I retrieved my trusty lap top and what should happen but a screen refresh showing me the second it was posted another chapter of Jem. So I had a front row seat on the hottest story going now on BC. Bailey you got me hot on the inside thinking about our new couple and the relationship they have. But it was a good hot that I can now savor like a good brandy.

Huggles
Misha

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Thanks so much Misha:)

The kind words and the comments made me smile and i certainly get the whole heat and temperature thing here too. But the scene with you and your girls made me smile. I'm glad you enjoyed this Wolfness.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Bad boys, schmad boys

If women were truly bright they should get themselves an engineer for a husband, far more reliable and smarter too.

Kim

Well...out the assembled men...

Jeremy is a well versed mechanic and Davey is a carpenter by trade so they're not doing to bad but Mitch grew up with Remy and is pretty handy and Mike and Angel both took some wood and metal shop.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Powers women

It'll be interesting to see what would happen if Angel and Jenna got together over a weekend sometime...

One thing's for sure - no-one joining them would ever feel the slightest bit hungry :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Not be hungry but way too much rich food

A lot of these dishes I would have maybe once every six months of and I don't mean one of each, it is more like a case of one from column A where column A containing all the outrageously rich stuff.

I am a bit envious of the kind of food they eat of course. I grew up with home Chinese cooking and it tends to be not as rich as all this stuff so my system just does not tolerate a rich diet.

Kim

There's a lot of the North American heavy diet here

and Angel will slow down once she get's used to cooking more for the girls than the things she's still making. Mind you she's feeding a lot of guys too. I think the girls and her will adjust as time goes on. Angel though would point out you grew up on real Chinese food and she'd think that'd be kinda cool since it's really not the same as the stuff from the restaurants.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

When Jenna heads for her operation they'll visit for sure.

With the drive being only six or so hours to Montreal. It might just even end up beig one of those whole family support things too. There'd also be a pretty good chance of the grandparents showing and food...well that'd be a big thing there too with a family gathering.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Yayness!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Yayness! Jenna's staple cinnamon rolls! I feel slightly less worried after that for the girls and Mike knowing that these people are connected to Jenna and her dad in a good way. :-)

A lovely Bailey original song as well. :-) I agree with Angel, in that there are many ways in which a couple can 'make love' and still keep their clothes on. Given Angel's current physical situation, these moments are even more important for the two of them.

It's going to be a very interesting Sunday lunch with these visitors!

Thank you for an enjoyable chapter and a lovely song.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Yeah Billy and Davey couldn't show without a care package

The song was this kind of Lenka sort of sweet ditty in my head sort of airy and kind with heart and loving bits in it. The boys being there could be a really good thing, they did a good job on Troy.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

cooking

there is no doubt when Angel and Jenna get together there will be recipe swapping going on.
great chapter, thanks

Definitely LoneWolf:)

They'll be doing that and cooking together but remember Jenna plays and sings too.
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Angel has not even thought of it like that.

That puts a whole new spin on the way she might feel and things if she starts to look and wonder at her place in the women in her family.
Thank Dotti!
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

A nice love song Bailey.

And another great chapter, hope the guys stay for dinner and some songs/music?

Hugs

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Good stuff, pity they can't

Good stuff, pity they can't all move over Jenna way, but the "I'm a marshall" wont get his just deserts.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p