Somewhere Else Entirely -62-

Printer-friendly version

Garia finally joins Keren as their parties meet but this just raises more questions. There is another, unexpected reunion before they resume their journey towards Blackstone. The wagon train is forced to travel through the local equivalent to Hell which makes Garia ask some pointed questions.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

62 - Joining Forces


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Eventually Garia came up for air and she immediately pushed Keren away.

"This is impossible!" she gasped, looking up at him.

"This is madness," he replied. "I never realized just how deep my -"

Jenet had seen the pair break and came towards them, interrupting his words. The others were still standing watching in various stages of shock.

"Highness, milady, we must eat," Jenet said, breaking the tension. "As it is now dark, the kitchen will close if we do not attend."

Keren focused and came back to reality. "Quite right, Jenet." He took a deep breath to give himself time to stabilize. "We have already eaten, go over and alert the cooks." He turned to Garia. "Go on, go with her. Send all your men over, I will detail some of mine to guard your wagons while you eat." He smiled and it nearly unhinged her. "They are mostly your men, in fact. Some of mine went with Captain Bleskin. Oh, and Jenet?"

"Highness?"

"There is no Highness at this campsite. I am Master Kethen, son of a Dekarran trader, come to investigate a new trade opportunity."

Jenet's face could not be seen easily in the gloom but Garia imagined her expression. "As you say, Master Kethen."

Jenet walked back to Jaxen's group and Keren turned to Garia. "This is a bad business. Now everybody knows -"

"You think they didn't beforehand?" she asked, still in shock from her own reaction.

"Aye," he sighed. "Are we that blind? Look, we cannot discuss this now. We will have some weeks of travel together in which to decide what to do. Tonight you must make camp and tomorrow we shall have other more immediate concerns. I'll come with you to the kitchen, if I may, and join you in a mug of pel. I'm sure both you and Jaxen will have many questions."

She stared at him in the near-dark. Many questions! That's the least of our problems.

"As you say, Keren, uh, Kethen." She remembered a task left unfinished and it helped bring her down to earth. "Wait! We may have a problem. Did you send D'Kenik off with the captain?"

"No, all your men remain with me, why?"

"Because D'Janik rides with Jaxen now, that's why. You'd better warn him to keep away for tonight. Perhaps we can resolve this in the morning."

"Maker! How did we get ourselves in this mess?" He nodded. "I'll do what is necessary. Now, get you over to the kitchen, Garia."

It was her turn to smile. "Sorry, don't know her. My name is Buffy and I'm with my big sister Karizma and our Aunt Sara. Can you remember all of that?"

"Aye. Now get!"

Garia turned and began to walk back towards Jaxen and his men, finding that Jenet had already passed the message and they were beginning to move towards the kitchen area. Jaxen saw her and waited.

"Milady..." he began.

"No, Jaxen. Not yet. Just Buffy for now. And he's Kethen, son of a trader from Dekarran."

"Ah. As you say, Buffy. Of course he would choose another name, since he travels in disguise. Buffy, then. Should we move our wagons to join that of... Kethen?"

"Your decision, Jaxen, but I wouldn't bother, not tonight. The men have already started to set up the awnings and get a fire going so there would be little point, especially as it's so dark. We'll officially join forces tomorrow morning, I think."

"As you say... Buffy."

Sukhana came by her other side as they walked. "Maker, you sure know how to choose them, don't you, kid! Is that," she nodded her head back to where Garia and Keren had come together, "a good idea?"

Garia sighed again. "No, Sookie, it definitely is not. Before it was a secret, now it's an open secret. And it's not something of which..." the King and Queen. "...either of his parents approve."

Sukhana groaned. "Oh, Maker! I definitely should have stayed away from this one."

"It might not be quite as bad as you think," Garia said slowly. "But we can't discuss it now. Tomorrow. For now let's concentrate on the food instead."

Jaxen's men gathered around one table. Garia, Merizel, Jenet, Keren, Jaxen and Sukhana sat at another. At first the manager of the kitchen grumbled at customers being so inept as to arrive at a campsite so late but Keren told him that they were meeting up and some gold from his purse further calmed the man. One consequence of arriving after everyone else had eaten was that their food was freshly-cooked and the service prompt. By unspoken consent they concentrated on consuming their food so that the kitchen staff would not have too late a night, only afterwards, once the tables had been cleared, did they talk of their own adventures along the way.

"Everything went as planned until we reached Teldor," Keren recounted. "Unfortunately, the poor captain was not in a very good state. I discussed with Feteran whether his father should return south or not, or what else we might do with him. He suggested that his father might be better off among his own family and I agreed. It would not have done the captain any good sitting around waiting for you as the rest of us have done, so I packed him off right away with a wagon and some good men and instructions to go directly to those places where his family lives. Of course I sent Feteran with him."

Keren raised an eyebrow and Garia nodded. "Yes, that's exactly what I would have done."

"Once they were on their way it occurred to me that I could continue up the valley as I had done so far, but it would naturally draw attention to me and when you joined us that might not be a good idea. We would have to stay with local nobles along the route and word would soon spread of who was with me. And... if I were traveling with a group of traders people might ask questions. So I had the idea that, like yourselves, we might travel in disguise. That way I'd get to see the country, rather than just the inside of every noble's house from here to our destination. I sent two men to the market to buy clothes -"

"Yes, we know," Garia broke in.

"What? How do you know?"

"Jenet went to the market with Sookie when we were there and overheard two stall-holders talking about palace guards buying clothes."

"Oh, no!" It was Keren's turn to groan. "So everybody knows what we're up to?"

"I don't think so, no. There might just be enough gossip for a spy to find out and make some deductions. I don't think it's that great a problem, since unlike myself you were supposed to be traveling north, weren't you? How you do that is your own business. You were saying..."

"Oh, yes. So we left Jeldek's castle with proper formality and then found a quiet back alley where we all changed clothes. We had to do some work on the wagons, too, so they wouldn't stand out. Then we just drove out through the town gates like any other wagon party."

"Well done, uh, Master Kethen," Jaxen said. "You are right, you would draw too much attention if you had ridden out officially. This way, you may travel as you please. And, if I may venture, you may find out more about the lands which will eventually become yours than you might if you traveled north officially."

"As you say. Jaxen, for the most part the folk of Palarand are said to be a good people and I must discover if that is true or not. I cannot do that if I am surrounded by armsmen and courtiers, kept away from our commoners. I trust that I may count on you and your folk for advice and support along the way?"

"Always... Master Kethen. We will back you every step of the way, as you know we would."

"Thank you, Jaxen. Now, it's late, and our day has been long. Let us all retire, and tomorrow we must decide how our combined party shall be organized. We still have many marks to ride."

~o~O~o~

Garia was wakened by a scratching on the awning. She and Jenet roused to permit Sukhana to put her head inside.

"Milady, there is a bath house here and we should take advantage of it. In order to go there you will find thin cloaks in your chests to cover you. It is customary to take the clothes you wish to wear and change in the bath house once you are dry."

Garia scowled. "Please don't call me 'milady', Sookie. It's going to be difficult enough trying to pretend that we're travelers as it is and it will be too easy to make a slip." She sighed. "I expect that we'll have to drop the pretence once we get where we're going but until then we are just Buffy and Sara, okay?"

Sukhana flushed. "As you wish, Buffy. It's just difficult to change a habit, especially now that he is with us."

"I understand, fully. Just try, okay?"

"Mil-" Jenet began, then lowered her gaze as Garia's head snapped round to glower. "Uh, Buffy. I would like to have our chests brought over from the other wagons, if I may. There are some items in there I would prefer to wear instead of those Master Tanon has provided." She blushed slightly.

"What do you mean?" asked Sukhana, her head still inside the awning. "All the chests were unloaded last night and are before you. Oh! You mean the other wagons, don't you?" She looked interested, now. "I forgot you have other clothes. May I ask what items you describe, Sara?"

"I speak of our bras, Sookie." Sukhana's brow furrowed at the strange word. "I confess that I have spent twenty five years of my life quite content to wear a bodice under my gowns but since I have begun wearing a bra I now find a bodice to be uncomfortable and restricting. Since our own clothes are nearby, I thought to make use of them. No-one will see what we wear underneath, surely?"

Garia considered. "Except at bath houses and the like," she pointed out. "But we are travelers from the south, and it is known that new ideas and fashions are coming from the south, so I don't think there will be a problem, do you? Yes, that's a good idea, Jenet, ah, Sara. Sookie, can you arrange for our other chests to be brought over? We'll just need the ones with our normal clothes in, tell whoever has to get them out."

"You have other chests, Buffy? Not just clothes?"

Garia grinned knowingly. "Oh, yes, we all do. Once we find a quiet place to camp by ourselves we'll show you all that we have. Be prepared for some surprises!"

Men were dispatched and between the two groups three chests were transferred to Jaxen's camp. By this time Merizel had been primed so that the four women set out together, wrapped in the cloaks to enable them to walk over to the bath house without their nightwear being seen, carrying their day clothes wrapped inside their dresses.

Inside the bath house there were two large tubs separated by a canvas screen, both filled with steaming water. One was occupied by the family group they had noticed the previous evening so they stripped off and climbed into the other. The necessary cleaning was done, to the obvious relief of all four women, and they climbed out and dried themselves on the provided towels.

"This is a bra, Sookie," Garia said, holding hers up.

"Why, there's nothing to it. It's just a harness made to hold up - Oh, I understand!" Sukhana looked speculatively at the scraps of fabric. "But how can that be better than a bodice? Is it possible I could try one to see for myself?"

"Unfortunately, these are each made to fit our own bodies," Garia explained. "It has to be done that way since every woman's body is different. I don't know... J- uh, Sara, might Sookie try yours for a moment?"

Jenet reluctantly handed her own bra over and then fitted it onto Sukhana as she would normally have fitted Garia's.

"This feels interesting," Sukhana said. "I would like to try one out, but I don't want to deprive Sara of hers. Is there another I might borrow?"

"We have several each, Sookie," Jenet told her. "There can be differences according to Kalikan so they are not all the same size. I might have one you may borrow."

"I was thinking, these look easy to make, don't they? I could sew one together as we travel, perhaps."

"They are easy enough to make," Merizel said, "but the art is in the cutting. Each of these pieces is a very particular shape which took our seamstresses some time to determine." She smiled at Sukhana. "I imagine that if you made a mistake in your pattern, you would end up with very strange-looking breasts. Or be very uncomfortable."

"As you say. Still, if you three find that you prefer them to the bodice every woman normally wears who am I to argue? If I may borrow one, to work out the pieces, I may yet make my own." She held up a hand at the look of alarm in Jenet's eyes. "No, I don't want to unpick it! I'll just draw the pieces out on a scrap of parchment."

Garia looked at Merizel then asked Sukhana with a smile, "Have you ever heard of paper?"

When the four returned to their campsite to stow their nightclothes it was obvious that the atmosphere was different. Some of the men were having difficulty restraining themselves from bowing as Garia approached and the normal morning banter, which had accompanied their journey so far, was noticeably absent.

I suppose this was inevitable, especially with Keren around. Not a good idea. We need a council of war after breakfast, clear the air.

Breakfast was taken in the same groups as before, with a third table surrounded by the men in Keren's party. While all were seated Keren went to each table and gave instructions.

"What was that about?" Garia asked when he returned.

"We have to combine our forces properly," he said, receiving a nod from Jaxen. "And we have to decide who does what and under what circumstances."

"That's the main question I have for you, master," Jaxen leaned forward. "Who will be in charge here?"

Keren gave a small smile. "In theory, I imagine that would have to be me, on grounds of rank," he said, "but I am no traveler. Although we made steady progress this far, we were overtaken several times along the way by other trains. Most embarrassing. Some of us have traveled before, on various campaigns under Captain Bleskin, but that is different than what we attempt now. Therefore, I would appreciate it if you were to be wagonmaster for the entire train."

Jaxen thought, then nodded. "I have the experience, master, so what you desire makes sense. Will your men take my orders at need? There may be times when it will be important that they do."

Keren grinned. "My men will do as I tell them, Jaxen. For the rest you had better ask... Buffy, as most of them are hers, not mine."

Sukhana's eyes widened as Jaxen turned to Garia. "Mistress?"

Garia smiled. "My men have become accustomed to the unusual, Jaxen. You'll have no problem with them, but I will make the point officially to make sure." Her smile faded. "We have two other matters to resolve before we leave here. One is D'Janik and the other is..." she reddened, "...what happened last night."

"I will speak with you privately while our men strike camp," Keren decided. "Once we've done that I've called a meeting of everyone so that we can lay all before them."

So, amid the bustle of most of those at the campsite packing away before moving on, Keren took Garia and Jenet to an empty area out of earshot.

"How are you feeling this morning?"

"Better," she replied. "Last night was a shock. I never expected anything like that to happen, honest."

"No more did I. Can you do this? Can we do this?"

"I... think so. Nothing has fundamentally changed between us, has it?"

"No, and that may be our problem. Garia, how do we handle this?"

"Tell them the truth," she said promptly. "I had some time to think it over last night and really, nothing much happened from our point of view. Tell them that the King and Queen know about us, and that we know and understand the limitations imposed on us. Last night was just a brother and adopted sister greeting one another after an absence."

Keren spluttered. "More than that, surely!" He looked disappointed. "I mean more than that to you, do I not?"

"Of course you do! But our relationship is something we have, as you pointed out yesterday, some weeks to resolve. Today we just need to make sure the men aren't spooked out."

Keren groaned. "You mean we're going to spend the entire trip talking about what we know has to happen when we get back to the palace? I don't like that idea."

"Don't be stupid, I didn't mean that at all. Just reassure the men, who probably have a better idea what's going on than we do, anyway."

He sighed, then nodded. "Very well." He looked up and spotted movement. "Here's our other problem approaching us."

D'Janik approached and bowed. He spoke softly, so that his words would be lost in the bustle of the camp.

"Highness, Milady, I beg audience."

"Go on," Keren said.

"I have this morning learned that D'Kenik rides with your party, Highness. If we are to join forces, I desire to bring an end to our differences." He held up a hand as Keren opened his mouth. "Highness, I intend no injury to any. If he may join us?"

Keren nodded assent and turned to Jenet. "Jenet, if you would, please fetch D'Kenik for us."

Jenet returned with D'Kenik, whose expression hardened when he saw D'Janik.

"I will only speak the Valley tongue," D'Janik said, "so that our words may be witnessed by those here." He straightened. "Our upbringing, Highness, teaches us that the oaths we take may never be broken, and that any who break such oaths as we take must forfeit their lives. That was what drove me that day..." He stopped and turned to Garia. "Milady, it was exceptionally stupid of me to interrupt a ceremony in the way I did, and again I beg apology for my transgression."

"You have it, D'Janik," Garia replied. "I can only imagine the emotions driving you at that moment."

"Thank you, milady, that means much to me." He turned to D'Kenik. "I deserved everything the King gave me," he said. "I did not know then that you would take service with Lady Garia. As to the oath I thought you guilty of breaking, I will only say," a small hard smile, "since coming to the Valley I have learned that the makers of oaths do not always understand the complexities of the world, especially parts of the world they have never visited. Brother, faced with the same problem, I might likely have chosen to do as you did. For my part, I would rather see Lady Garia able to protect herself than vulnerable. If you will agree, I would desire this matter ended."

D'Kenik stared at D'Janik for a long time in silence, then spoke.

"It required an effort of will for me to break my oath, but I could clearly see the need for milady to defend herself, and she could not wield such a sword as a man does. I see that it has taken you as much effort to understand my reasons as I did, and if His Highness's journey is to be a success it will require no bad blood between his men. I will agree to this." D'Kenik turned to Keren. "Highness, it is ended. If you require, we shall swear so, but," he smiled wryly, "perhaps you are not so sure of oaths as we are. We may not be brothers or even friends on this journey, but we shall not be enemies ever again. When you have need of us, Highness, you shall find us both ready."

"Thank you both," Keren replied gravely. "My father and I value the experience and steadfastness of the men of the Six Cities. You are both welcome in our party."

A short while later their two groups of two wagons each were the only ones left at the campsite, everyone else having resumed their journeys. Midway between, the men and women were gathered into a circle, with Keren and Garia standing in the middle.

"From this day on we shall be one party," Keren began. "For those of you who have not guessed, I am Keren, son of King Robanar, and this is the first journey I have made unaccompanied by either of my parents beyond Dekarran. Since I came of age my father has instructed that I journey about his realm in order to become familiar with its lands and peoples. This young woman," he placed a hand gently on Garia's shoulder, "is Lady Garia, Baroness Blackstone. Her story is an unusual one which I will leave until another time. My father made her a noble to give her an income and some manner of protection. Doubtless you will all know everything by the time we arrive. Arrive where? It seems that there is something in Blackstone which may be of great benefit to our country in the future."

Many of the men looked puzzled at this.

"You'll learn more as we travel," Keren continued. "Since Garia knows much about these matters, my father suggested that she travel there to survey her lands and find out what might be there. Therefore, Blackstone is our ultimate destination, though we may find other matters of interest along the way.

"Speaking of interest, we desire to avoid unnecessary attention as we travel, which is why we are all in disguise as traveling folk. In fact Garia was seen to be returning to the palace with the King and Queen, so it is important that you do not mention her name or titles, at least until we reach Blackstone. Since none of my party has sufficient experience I nominate Jaxen as wagonmaster of the entire train. I will command you all to obey his instructions in all matters excepting, perhaps, in warfare if that should be necessary. Milady Garia will confirm that of her own men as well."

"I do," Garia said. "It is important that we behave as travelers, not a troop of armed men as we might do otherwise. Tanon's men have the experience, let's benefit from it."

"Finally," Keren added with a rueful look, "there is one other matter. Last night, you may have seen us greeting each other in a somewhat fond manner."

There were snorts and a fit of coughing from some of the men. Others grinned knowingly.

"Milady Garia lives in the palace and her suite of rooms is in the same corridor as my own and that of my parents. It is natural that we would become close to one another, and it is unfortunate. There are customary rules which govern who I may or may not marry and Garia is not eligible. My parents are aware of our... fondness... and we have assured them that nothing will ever happen that might cause any problem. Do not be concerned if you see us close during our journey. Milady Garia is, after all, a maiden and it is every man's duty to assist a maiden. If you have any concerns about this you may speak freely to Garia and myself. Any questions?"

"Uh, Highness," asked Keet, one of Jaxen's men. "I am not accustomed to using the names of those who hire Master Tanon's trains and I'm sure the rest of us will feel just as uncomfortable. How should we address you all?"

Keren nodded. "A good question. Let's make sure everyone understands who and what we are supposed to be before we start. I am presently Master Kethen, son of a trader from Dekarran, and it is my father who hired this train of four wagons, placing me in charge. This is... Buffy, did you say? ...with her older sister -"

"- Karizma, and our Aunt Sara," Garia supplied. "Are we related to you, Master Kethen?"

"Ah... probably not, Mistress Buffy. In fact," Keren grinned, "let's make all the women Mistresses, that way there should be no doubt how you should name them." He looked at the surprise on Sukhana's face and the disapproval from Jenet, giving them a twisted grin. "I have promoted two of them for the length of this enterprise which balances the temporary demotion of the other two, does it not?" He turned to Garia. "I have no doubt that you will have some tale ready should any inquire."

"No doubt at all," she agreed.

"Sir, uh, Highness," A man she didn't recognize broke in. "Uh, I suppose I should say master, shouldn't I? Why exactly are we all in disguise? It would seem to me better that we travel as the retinue of a noble, if not the King's son."

"You should know this, Jarrin, coming from Dekarran castle! Some days before we left, Baroness Blackstone was attacked in the castle in a kidnap attempt." There were some whistles from Jaxen's men. "What some of you may not know is that there have been a number of attempts before that to kidnap or possibly to kill her. We are fairly certain that those of Yod are responsible, although we're not sure why. Baroness Blackstone was seen to return south to the palace with the King and Queen under heavy armed protection, while Mistress Buffy takes a journey north with a wagon train. It is the King's opinion that once away from the attention which always follows royal affairs interest in the Baroness will fade. At the same time it gives both of us an opportunity to visit a part of Palarand neither has been before."

"Ah." Jarrin nodded. "As you say... Master Kethen. I had not connected that business with our own party."

Keren grinned. "Exactly! I hope it stays that way."

Garia said, "Let me see who is here. There are some faces I'm not familiar with."

She turned, examining the group that surrounded them. Those from Tanon's party she was very familiar with now, even if she couldn't always match names to faces of the men. Besides Jaxen and Sukhana there were Keet, Samir, Bildo, Then and Berd. D'Janik and the two wagoneers Joolen and Helen. Then there were her own men-at-arms, Soomit, Frando, D'Kenik, Toranar and Brazan. Tord was missing, on his way back to the palace with Milsy and of course Feteran was ahead of them escorting his father. Then there were four who she recognized as palace guardsmen. She spotted a familiar face among these, one she hadn't expected.

"Stott? What are you doing here?"

The man grinned, then bobbed his head. "Begging your pardon, milady, uh, mistress. The King wanted the best for this party and seeing as how I'm the best longbowman, I was volunteered, as it were."

"Tell her the rest, Stott," Keren said with a smile.

"Aye, uh, Master Kethen. Uh, I'm familiar with the wild animals that live in these parts so I may be of use later on. I'm used to hunting for them, see, and I knows their ways."

"What he carefully didn't say," Keren said dryly, "is that his familiarity with the animals comes from the fact he was poaching them at the time." There was general laughter. "But he's a King's man now, isn't he? Let's hope we can put his knowledge to good use in coming days."

Garia pointed. "I'm sorry, I don't know your names."

"Chinnar, milady," the first replied. "Uh, mistress. Third Quadrant."

"Varno, mistress, Third Quadrant," and "Denard, milady, First Quadrant," the others said.

"What about you two?" Garia asked of the last pair. "I heard you say that you come from Dekarran, and you kinda look familiar, but..."

"I'm Jarrin, mistress," one of them replied, "and this is Durko. You remember that trip out to visit the miner's guild in Dekarran? Well, we was driving the carriages that time. When the Prince's plans all got changed about we ended up getting chosen to drive his wagons."

"Ah. Yes, I remember, now. Thank you. Um, I'm going to take a while to get all your names straight, I expect. Keren? Oh, I should say, Master Kethen? Anything more?"

"Probably, but we've delayed here long enough, I think. Perhaps we'd better fetch our animals and get ready for the road." A thought came to him and he grinned broadly at Garia. "I'm forgetting something! There's one reunion which has not yet happened, has it?"

Garia looked at him blankly for a moment, then realized what he meant. Without a word she strode out of the circle, heading directly for the corrals behind the campsite. After a few steps her direction shifted abruptly towards the kitchen.

"What do you mean, Master Kethen?" asked a puzzled Sukhana. "Who?"

Keren beamed at her. "You'll enjoy this, Sookie. Follow Merizel, excuse me, Karizma to the corral and you shall see something unusual."

While some of the men headed for the wagons the rest trailed after the women who were making for the corrals. These were in fact fairly large well-fenced pastures behind each campsite where the mounts and draft animals were customarily left to graze overnight. Merizel, Jenet and Sookie arrived at the same time as Garia after her diversion to the kitchen. In the distance, a herd of frayen were all cropping grass together, while at a distance their dranakh could be seen grazing. Each of these had plenty of room around them, unlike the smaller animals who stayed close together.

"Snep! Here, boy!"

In the herd a neck suddenly shot up, the head questing in every direction.

"Here boy! Snep Snep Snep!"

The herd scattered as a lone beast shouldered his way out from the middle. Once free he set off towards them at a trot which soon became a gallop. Nearing them he slowed down and then came directly to Garia's outstretched hand.

"Hello, boy! Did you miss me?"

He sniffed her hand and then took the vegetable offcut she held out, crunching it before nuzzling her hand again.

"It's time we got on the road again," she told him. "You probably need some exercise by now. Have you spent all your time here stuffing yourself with grass?"

Despite not having a single moveable muscle in his face, Snep managed to give Garia a look of pure disgust which caused some chuckles among the onlookers.

"How does she do that?" Sukhana asked Keren.

"I have no idea," Keren told her. "It seems that G-, she has a special way with the animals. It may be that most women are able to do what she does."

"Hear that, brother?"

"Aye, Sookie," Jaxen said. "I heard."

"Come on, boy," Garia said, ignoring the byplay, "let's get you out of here."

She moved to the gate and opened it. Immediately the other frayen, who had followed Snep more slowly, gathered around the gate and the men moved in to collect them. Behind, the dranakh ambled towards them, ready for the day's work.

"Mistress, don't you need a halter for him?" asked Helen, their wagoneer.

"I don't think so," Garia replied. "Leastways, he'll follow me to the wagon with no trouble."

Once through the gate Snep looked at Garia and then craned his neck round to look at his back.

"Did that beast just do what I think he did?" Sukhana asked in wonder. "He actually wants you to ride him? Is that true?"

Garia nodded. "He did and yes, that's what he wants. But I don't think we can do that today, boy. I guess it will have to be the leading rein for you, although you can walk by the side of our wagon." She turned to Keren. "Has he been ridden since you left Dekarran?"

"Yes, he has. I've ridden him twice but not a whole day at a time. It was just to give him a bit of variety."

"Master Kethen," Merizel asked, "Are Topik and Brit with your party? I don't see them in this group but they are all moving about so much."

"Yes, Karizma, they're here but I don't know which they are. I'm not so practised at recognizing beasts as Mistress Buffy is. Don't worry, the men are taking good care of them."

The men were now leading the frayen back to the wagons, ready to have saddles fitted. Garia followed more slowly with Snep and the others. Behind them their four dranakh made their own way to their appointed places, ready to have harness attached.

"You ride, then?" Sukhana asked. "I have seen it done in other parts of Alaesia but I know it is not the custom in the Valley for women to ride."

Both Garia and Merizel grinned at Sukhana. Garia said, "It was hard work persuading them but I got my own way in the end. I used to ride before I came to Anmar and I didn't see why I shouldn't do so here. Besides, I found out that even the Queen rides when her husband isn't looking."

Sukhana's eyebrows rose. "Is that so? And do you not find it uncomfortable?"

"The saddles the palace guard use aren't that bad but they aren't that good, either. I told them about a different design, similar to what we use at home and that's what Merry and I use. If you look closely at... Master Kethen's men, you'll see that they all use them now too."

Jaxen was interested. "I have not yet seen what Master Kethen's men use, mistress. Might such saddles be of use to my own men?"

"Absolutely, Jaxen. You'll have plenty of time to examine them and make up your own mind."

The frayen were saddled up, with the exception of the spare mounts which just had halters and leading reins fitted. The dranakh were harnessed to the wagons and everyone made sure that the campsite had been cleared away and that everything was securely aboard. There was one final surprise before they left.

"Before we leave, mistresses," Helen said to them before they boarded, "best you be properly introduced to our beast, since you spent the last two days hiding in the back. If you would."

They followed him to the front where the dranakh regarded them with interest.

"This is Beth, our dranakh," Helen said. "Beth, this is Mistress Buffy, Mistress Karizma and Mistress Sara."

Each placed her hand briefly on Beth's warm, dry snout, getting a waft of warm, herb-laden air from her breath in return. A distant memory came back to Garia then and impulsively she thrust her arm into Beth's mouth. Merizel squeaked and jumped back in surprise.

"I'm impressed, mistress," Sukhana said as Garia retrieved her arm, now slick with Beth's saliva. "I didn't think you knew of that custom."

"It was shown me just after I was found," Garia said, "up in the mountains the other side of the Valley. I don't know why it's done but I have a feeling it's important."

"It may be, mistress, but it is a very old custom and nobody knows the reason any more. It is just something that traveling folk do."

"The others are moving," Helen said then. "Come on, ladies, let's get aboard before we're left behind."

~o~O~o~

Since they started out late Jaxen wanted to push on in order to make up time. A brief comfort stop was made mid-morning but the four wagons and their oversize escort were soon moving again. It seemed Jaxen wanted to pass through the next town before they found somewhere to stop for lunch. Garia soon found out why.

"Urgh. This is terrible!" Garia gasped from beneath the scarf she held over her nose and mouth. Her eyes stung and tears tracked down her cheeks.

The landscape bore some resemblance to the approaches to Dante's Inferno. There were pits either side of the road as far as one could see interspersed with spoil tips. Dotted here and there were small shacks, open-sided lean-tos and squat brick and stone buildings all blackened with soot and pollution. From some of the buildings could be seen red glows where furnaces and forges operated, the stubby chimneys filling the air with black smoke which hid the further reaches from view. Here and there were groups of mounds, each smoldering white smoke.

Among these hellish workings were many men, women and animals, the people working hard at pit, furnace and anvil, the animals standing ready to operate hoists or pull small, two-wheel carts. Some of the carts held ore, others were piled high with wood. Garia noted that the both animals and people looked undernourished and spotted several frayen carcases left rotting by the edges of the road.

"What is this place?" she asked Helen, trying to breathe as shallowly as possible. Beside the wagon, Snep coughed.

"This is Holville, mistress," came the reply. "On account of all the holes, you see. Many years back there was a gold rush but that weren't no good. It turned out there was silver here instead, though, so others came and now they take lead, tin and zinc from the ground as well. A lot of those you see aren't miners, they make tools and provide what the miners can't do for themselves."

Garia looked more closely and saw that the forges were making picks, shovels and other tools, there were shacks and tents serving food and providing places to sleep and that the smoking mounds were producing charcoal for the furnaces and forges. The whole place stank.

"Who permits this?"

"Permits, mistress? Why should any permit? Why should any deny? As long as the lord gets his taxes, he don't care what happens here."

Garia became very angry then, so angry that the red haze began to form in her vision and she had to force herself to calm down again. Not easy when she couldn't take the deep breaths her technique demanded. Once she was steady again she asked, "Should we go faster? Get away from this place quicker? This can't be doing men or animals any good, can it?"

"As you say, mistress. But if we go faster, the animals have to breathe harder and that ain't good for them. No, we has to just keep a steady pace and not strain the beasts too much. I know it means we'll be breathing this muck for longer but it can't be helped."

"Does Duke Gilbanar know what happens here?"

Helen hacked and spat by the roadside before he answered. "I wouldn't think so, mistress. Why should he? It's possible the local lord - whoever he is - makes everyone down tools when the Duke's party rides by but I've not been around when that's happened so I couldn't say." He looked sidelong at Garia. "Why, mistress? What's so different about what happens here?"

Garia took a breath to speak and wished she hadn't. "Later, Helen. Later. I want to speak to Master Kethen when we next stop, I think." Her expression was hard and Helen turned away from that determined gaze.

Eventually, some marks beyond the last of the workings, a campsite appeared and the party gratefully pulled off and parked. The beasts were unhitched and led to the corral to feed while the humans all converged on the rest rooms. This site was obviously favored by those trying to avoid the industrial area and was well appointed with facilities including rest rooms, a bath house, kitchens serving a variety of food together with stalls offering fast food, accessories and trinkets.

"That ride was awful," Merizel said as they emerged from the womens' rest rooms. "I feel dirty. Do you think we can convince Keren to delay our journey and let us have a bath? I won't feel right until I've cleaned myself from hair to toes."

Garia felt the same. Her skin smelt and she really didn't want to think about the condition her hair was in. She took a deep breath of clean air, noting the metallic taste still in her mouth.

"I'd really like that, Merry. Uh, Karizma. Somehow I don't think we're going to, though. I think Jaxen wants us to move on as much as we can today, especially as we set off so late. I'm going to ask him to make sure we stop for the night somewhere with a decent bath-house, though. I'm afraid to think what that stuff is doing to our clothes."

"Buffy?" Sukhara asked. "Why, what will happen to our clothes?"

"The air back there was so bad it will rot the fibers. Especially so if it had rained while we were going through. Fortunately, it didn't this time." Her expression hardened again. "I'm going to speak to... Master Kethen. This has to stop."

Keren smiled as they approached but the expression faded when he saw the look Garia gave him. Motioning the others to go and collect food for them he took her aside.

"What's the matter?"

"That place. Holville. This has to end, Keren, and end soon."

He raised an eyebrow. "What does? I don't understand. Yes, it was bad along there, but that was because the wind was in the wrong direction."

"That's because we just passed along the highway on our way through, and the wind normally blows east to west, doesn't it? The point is not how it affects us, it's how it affects those who have to live there, Keren. Those people are going to get sick and their lives are going to be nasty and short. If they have children, their lives will be even nastier and shorter. Look at the state of the animals we saw! There were carcases, carcases lying by the side of the highway! Nobody cares, Keren, and it has to stop. All that pollution will get in the river and poison all the towns downstream. Do you want that? I thought the Kings of Palarand were supposed to be responsible stewards for their people. How can they be if they allow this to happen on their lands?"

Her voice had risen as she spoke and now she found that those nearest were looking at them in amazement. She took Keren's arm and led him to a table further away, sitting down on one of the two benches. After a moments hestitation he sat down facing her.

"This has gotten you really upset, hasn't it? It isn't such a big area though, we have passed through many marks of quiet countryside since leaving Dekarran. When miners burrow there will always be a certain amount of mess around the workings, will there not? And the miners are hardy folk, used to the conditions."

"And their children, Keren? Do they deserve to be brought up in such conditions? The point is not the mines, in any case, it is the uncontrolled way that everything has been left to develop. If the Industrial Revolution which is to come is allowed to happen the same as the mining here, half of Palarand will soon look like that. I've already seen the beginnings of something similar on the way out of Dekarran, and Teldor is little better. Do you want to see half of Palarand turn into the same state as Holville?"

Keren stared at Garia, taken aback by the emphatic nature of her arguments. Finally he nodded.

"I think I begin to see, Garia. Forgive me, I'm not in charge of anything and there was no reason I should have been told about any of this." A wry twist of the mouth. "Not that anyone would have thought to mention it. I doubt any consider the situation in Holville worth mentioning." He leaned forward, speaking quietly. "This was what happened on Earth, wasn't it? That's why you're so upset, you do not want the same to happen here."

"Damn right I don't, Keren. It took us a hundred, hundred fifty years to get over the mess we made at the beginning, possibly longer. And governments had to make harsh laws which the greedy and ignorant fought every inch of the way. After all, if I mine silver and throw the tailings down the hill, what business is it of mine? I just want the silver, everything else is someone else's problem. Never mind that the tailings are poisonous, and are going to make the groundwater undrinkable for eighty years and cause crops, animals and people to grow poorly and stunted. The conditions in the towns and cities weren't much better than this, either."

"I'm sorry, Garia. I just didn't appreciate what was likely to happen." He frowned in concentration. "I don't know enough about the situation here. I don't even know whose lands these are. The next time we get to a big enough town I think I'll sit down and write a long dispatch to my father. He needs to know what is happening here."

"That's the first step and, Keren, thank you. I think I need to write something to the Guilds as well, perhaps with Merry's help. We must stop this before it becomes any worse."

Garia turned to find Jenet and Merizel approaching them, each carrying two steaming plates. Merizel smiled as she placed a plate in front of Keren.

"I'm starving so I imagine that you both are as well. Here, eat. It won't stop you two setting the world right, will it?"

With plates of food in front of them they all busied themselves eating. Soon they had filled themselves and Jenet went to return the plates and bring drinks for them.

"Let me guess what you two were talking about," Merizel said. "Holville, wasn't it? I've never seen anything like it and I hope I never will again."

"Sorry, that's not going to happen," Garia said. "Remember, we have to do this route in reverse to get back to the palace, don't we?"

"Oh." Merizel grimaced. "I'd forgotten that." She turned to Keren. "Any more unpleasant surprises like that on our way?"

"I don't think so, Merry." Keren frowned. "I don't know how much notice Uncle Gil takes of these upper reaches of the Palar. He mostly leaves the administration of these parts to the minor lords who hold the lands, as you might expect. I don't know how he'll take your views, Garia. He might agree with you or he might be disinterested. As long as everybody pays their taxes, I think he's inclined to let the lords do as they wish."

"What about the laws of the land, then?" Garia asked. "I don't know how such matters are handled here, but at home the same laws bind everybody, not just the commoners."

"It is the same here, Garia." He frowned again. "Yes, that might be the way to handle this. Merizel, can you begin a list of matters to raise when we return to the palace? I'm sure there will be other times along the way when we find circumstances that raise questions."

"As you command, Highness."

"Keep your voice down, Merry," Garia hissed. "We're getting funny looks from those four men over there."

"As you wish, but remember, as far as they are concerned we are two silly girls having a bit of fun with a good-looking boy. Remember who we are and what we're supposed to be, Buffy. A bit of giggling now and then isn't going to do anyone any harm."

Jenet reappeared with a tray bearing four tankards. Garia took one and sipped. She was now used to the small beer which was often the staple of traveling stops like these, although she preferred pel or even fruit juice if either was available. For now she had to stay in character so drank off the beer easily, although she knew she would be burping for an hour afterwards.

The four joined Jaxen and Sukhana before setting off back to the wagons.

"Jaxen," Garia asked, "can we please stop tonight at a campsite which has a decent bath house? We'd all dearly love to have a complete wash to get the stink of that place off ourselves."

"Not just us," Sukhana added, "I think we'd better all do some clothes washing as well. Us traveling folk don't have rooms full of clothes like you noble folk do, so we have to wash them more frequently."

"Oh do you?" Garia asked innocently. "I wouldn't know, I just get the palace laundry to do mine. My maid puts our dirty clothes out each day and they come back clean and fresh and ironed."

Sukhana stared at Garia without saying a word before switching her gaze to Jenet, who reddened.

"Actually, Sookie, she speaks the exact truth. That is precisely what happens."

Sukhana's lips thinned but Keren stepped in before anything was said. "Look, Sookie. Palace routine is different than what you know. It's not because we are rich, or because we are powerful. We have people look after us because it leaves us time to be able to look after the Kingdom, which includes people like you. We can't be building roads or mending bridges or judging disputes or criminals if we spend all our time cooking food or washing clothes."

Sukhana reluctantly nodded. "Aye, Master Kethen. I knew all of that really but it still annoys me." She forced a smile as they began to walk back to the wagons. "I know that without the King the roads wouldn't be safe for the likes of us to travel and I appreciate that. I also know that without the various lords and the like there wouldn't be resting places along the roads like this one, or markets in towns for us to sell the goods we carry. I just -" she trailed off, unable to explain her reasons.

"Perhaps we can talk about it one day," he said. "In the palace we serve just as much as you do. I'd like to tell you of our lives, just as we are presently finding out about yours."

"We'll even invite you to visit," Garia added. "Assuming your slave-driver of a brother lets you away for a day or two."

"I thought -" Sukhana began, then shook her head. "You four are nothing like I expected."

Keren grinned. "We've barely begun yet! You wait until we can begin to relax, away from prying eyes. Personally, I can't wait to restart the Tai Chi and the unarmed combat training."

Jaxen raised an eyebrow at that, but said nothing. The four continued towards the wagons.

~o~O~o~

"Ooh! I like this!" Merizel slid down into the warm water in the large wooden tub. "This water seems different somehow. Sort of silky and smooth."

"Soft water is what they call it," Sukhana told her. "I have heard it said that it is because of the different rocks the water may seep through before it comes to well or spring. Sounds like a strange idea to me, but that's what they say."

"And it's right, Sookie," Garia agreed, watching the bubbles form as she lathered up a block of soap. "Certain tiny parts of the rocks are soluble in the water and they make it hard or soft. They can also make it taste different, too."

Merizel bent her knees and slid so that she submerged completely, coming up again with a whoosh as she let out her breath.

"Will it make my hair all soft as well?"

"Yes, it probably will. Want me to wash it for you?"

Garia had thought at first that the communal bathing practised in the Valley was a peculiar custom but after so many months she now appreciated the time she spent in the tub together with her friends. It was just a time to relax and enjoy the company of women and she marveled again at how far she had come since arriving on this strange planet.

If ever I have to go back this is one of the things I'll miss the most.

I'm not sure I ever want to go back again.

Not that that's very likely at all, is it? I have no idea how I got here and no idea even where 'here' is. I'm not sure 'here' is in the same galaxy as Earth or even in the same universe.

If any of it is real at all.

Who cares? I'm here and I like being here, despite things like Yod and Holville. I'm contributing something useful to this society and I hope I'm going to stop them making the same mistakes we did. Isn't that reason enough to be here?

"Buffy?"

"Huh?"

"You looked funny there for a moment. Are you going to wash my hair?"

"Yes, of course. I was just counting my blessings."

"As you say." A little later. "Buffy? What's a 'blessing'?"

Later, lying in her camp bed beside Jenet, she said, speaking low, "Did you see Keren today? He took charge just like that, didn't he? He's definitely a leader, isn't he?"

"As you say, milady," Jenet replied as quietly. "Since he has become a man it is possible to see the future King in him. This journey will prove the making of him, I think. But, milady, you have not considered yourself, have you? I have watched the leader emerge in you as well, strange though the notion is to one like myself."

"Me? A leader? I never imagined... Jenet, you must be mistaken. I never wanted to be a leader. I never considered such a thing."

"Do you think His Highness wanted the task appointed him? Sometimes we do not choose the path we must follow."

"Well, that's certainly true of me, isn't it? One moment I'm an ordinary Kansas boy, then wham! I could never have imagined any of this." Garia sighed. "You're right, of course. I'm here, and I'm who I am, and I just have to take the future as it comes. Good night, Jenet."

"Good night, milady."

up
367 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somewhere Else Entirely -62-

Elsbeth's picture

Yay another chapter, interesting to see if their relationship changes in the next few weeks. Glad Garia is going to get a handle on pollution before it gets out of hand.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

SEE..

Oh my YES!! I've eagerly been awaiting your next installment Penny!! ThankyouThankyou!!

Wow!

This is an extraordinary series. The details of this other world of yours is simply amazing. However what is even better is the marvelous characters and their continuing development. Keren, Garia, Jenet, and all the others have me clicking to read as soon as I see the new page. Yes, it is just that good.
hugs
Grover

Holville is not a nice place.

Hopefully something will be done to stop that kind of thing before it causes more damage.

Also, it seems that no one was surprised but Garia and Keren about them knowing how the two feel towards each other. I still hold onto hope on that one, by the way. And Garia is a leader.

Maggie

As always, it is good to read a new chapter.

I love the fact that Garia was upset about the pollution, and the affect on the people there. Get responsible leadership in the system early,and avoid some of the long term consequences.

Wonderful, as usual. You've become a favorite author of mine. I hope this continues for a long time!

Wren

Ah, young love.

So, it appears that everyone but Karen and Garia are well aware of the situation. I wonder if the King sent them on this journey together for them to firmly sort themselves. I am also anxious to see Garia suitably armed with her swords, and riding Snep. Oh what a lovely tale this is.

Gwendolyn

A fascinating chapter.

It touches upon so many issues perculier to Paraland and the neighbouring countries. Issues that we of Earth have painfull experience of and hurtful memories thereof.

It's a lucky country that has such a futuristic questor to provide beacons and guidance as well as knowledge and secrets to take it forward.

That said, Garia's got her work cut out and she has only just begun to encounter the first tentative whisperings of the social revolution that invariably follows industrial revolution and technological advancement.

Good story Penny. Like all your other readers, I'm itching to see what happens when the 'Supremacy of Yod' starts to get seriously alarmed by the advances they will hear of and possibly encounter in Paraland.

Thanks for the interest.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Somewhere Else Entirely by Penny Lane 62 - Joining Forces

In this chapter
Keren to Garia--I'll come with you to the kitchen, if I may, and join you in a mug of pel.

That boy sure has some kinky thoughts about Garia. LOL! Thought a bit of levity was needed after the disgusting sight of ruined earth.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I knew

as soon as she got away from the leaders, she'd start finding out how bad things might really be. They are so ingrained it might be really difficult to get things to change. She is going to have to take a strong stand, and force things, I'm afraid. And set good examples in her own lands, which may not go over well with the people she will find are already doing things their way. I also wonder what kind of "rustling" and "poaching", and outright theft she will find from "lords" encroaching on her lands, since they have not been occupied for so long. She may find real problems there.

Poison

Poison is the result of silver and lead is the major culprit, If she stresses the retardation and insanity that come hand in hand with this abomination of a metal others may... may change their minds in time to make a difference for an entire generation. As to love being in the air... well it has been for quite some time hasn't it? And if others see it, then it is just a darn shame, right? thanks for the new chapter.

Draflow

Silver tailings may be pretty poisononous

due to the cyanide that comes with it. Of course in the US, God forbid that we have laws to prevent such things from running into the water even it *shudder* hurts the profits for all those saintly 'job makers'.

Kim

Thanks

Thank you for the new chapter and this amazingly interesting tale.

Relationships

Well, Garia and Keren have several weeks together before they return to the Palace. Their relationship is hard to pin down into any one category - containing elements of siblings (effectively part of the same family with all that entails), close friends (initially, at least!), colleagues (since for various reasons, Keren is heavily involved with Garia's work life), mentor/student (Keren being Garia's mentor on Palarand life and society, Garia being Keren's mentor on new ideas / developments), not to mention lovers (in the romantic rather than sexual sense).

Similarly, Garia's role within society - she could potentially eventually end up as co-reigning monarch, but there's also the question of being chief architect of future development plans for Palarand (and by extension, Anmar), as well as no doubt demanding some time off to just relax and enjoy herself, away from the stresses and strains of both the nobility and her working life.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Finally!

terrynaut's picture

Garia and Keren are together again. And yes, so are Garia and Snep.

I hope to see less of places like Holville but everything else is welcome.

Ride 'em, Snep!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Such a

wonderful tale! I look forward to your story each and every time it appears.

Hugs

Vivien

The Dark Satanic Mills

joannebarbarella's picture

Even in a pre-idustrial society pollution of the most noxious kind takes root early. It's pointless blaming the lords because they are as clueless as everybody else.

Only someone like Garia, who knows the consequences of untramelled enterprise, can curb the situation before it gets out of hand.

Really good world-building, Penny,

Joanne

I am not surprised at the gasping from the other members

of the party. The way they are acting with each other is as if they are peers, even King and Queen.

The amount of frankness and deference they hold for each other already screams partnership. There can be no doubt in the minds of those around them that it is likely, despite traditions and protestations from G and K, that they will find some way to be with each other. Keren's heart already knows he can't accept any other.

I am envious pf this fictional world that will now get the ability to avoid the worst pitfalls of their technological leaps.

This is going to be so interesting to watch.

Kim

Thank you all!

Thank you all for your kind comments!

You can all rest assured that the next few chapters will be as interesting as the last few.

I'm pleased that so many people are still enjoying this, since I certainly am still enjoying writing it.

<sigh> I wish there wasn't so much Real Life happening right now...

Penny

Interesting..and eagerly

Interesting..and eagerly awaiting how Garia directs a hopefully more eco friendly developing
nation.

alissa

leadership

yes, I think she has the makings of a very good leader.

DogSig.png

Mistakes

Let’s hope the king takes her seriously to prevent that from happening.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Throw a cover over it

Jamie Lee's picture

Previous chapters have shown that both Robanar and Terys hate disagreeable topics, and will change the topic at the drop of the hat.

And if Gil is out and about he may not want to see the ugly that is occurring right under his nose. It's also likely the lesser Nobles don't want him to see the ugly so they throw a towel over that which they want to hide.

Keren said it correctly when he explained what he wouldn't see had he come through towns as Prince Keren. The Nobles would have made sure he only saw the good and not the dirty.

The truth of the matter must be observed if a fix is to be found. Such as substituting coal for the charcoal they make, which adds to the problem.

For a group of people who are trying to remain under cover, they sure neglect their own rules to remain anonymous.

Others have feelings too.

Indeed

What you note is a version of the saying: When the cat's away the mice will play....

1 of my favorite

Bits you create whilst writing this story is that of the animal/human interreactions. Love it when Snep is wanting Garia to get on and go for a ride!

alissa