The Duchess of Arad, Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version
duchess maria.jpg
The Duchess of Arad
Chapter 2

Maria's Story

by Jenny Sugar
Copyright © 2012 Jenny Sugar
All Rights Reserved.


I was born in the Principality of Transylvania in the year 1588. I had royal blood — being related to quite a few nobles. It only meant that I was a Lady - not a peasant. My life was really nothing to me until my rebirth. I married young to a Duke in Arad. I became a Duchess of Arad. It meant nothing but a title, being arranged by our parents. My given name was Maria.

I was bored! Wealthy for the time that I lived in, with anything that I desired handed to me. I had servants and only the best food and the best clothing. I was soon looking for more in my life than I had. A foolish weakness nearly all humans possess, yes?

I was soon enamored of a young and very dark man named Gregor Bathory, himself a cousin of Sigismund Bathory, Prince of Transylvania. He was vampire of course. Something about me attracted him and he began to visit me when my husband was away from our home. He enthralled our servants so they would not report to the Duke.

He fed on me often and I was his thrall in all things. I pined for him when not at his side. When I reached twenty years he turned me and I awoke with hunger and began to feast upon any and all that I could! One night my husband angered me — he complained I slept every day and only arose at night; I would not go out in the day with him and he was shouting at me over it. I drained him and played the grieving widow for a time.

Gregor had told me to lick the wounds and let my superior healing power heal them before my victims passed. It is good that I did, because the Duke had many friends and they were all quite upset at his keeling over dead with not a mark upon him. He had always been hearty and hale.

Gregor and I moved on from Arad to a small village, craving anonymity and solitude. Far easier hunting in a great city like Arad, but with more people comes more chance for discovery of our natures, was his argument to me. So, we settled in an old monastery for a time. The irony of us living in a monastery was not lost on me. I was becoming so much more than the decadent Duchess that I was, bored with life and consumed with gossip and trivia.

About two years after Gregor turned me; I returned early one morning after feasting on a few morsels and found his corpse ran through with a wooden stake! I was filled with anger and vowed that whoever destroyed my Gregor would pay dearly. I became vengeance upon the small village and before the moon cycled I had destroyed it and avenged Gregor. I never found the person or persons responsible for his death, for certain. But I was sure that the village was to blame.

I became more careful after his Final Death and I hid myself away from all. I ventured out only to hunt when needed, not wanting the stake myself! I wanted to live. I wanted to feast forever. I had no pity, nor mercy, for any who crossed my path. They were sustenance to continue my existence only. They begged, they pleaded — it availed them nothing. I was death to any who crossed my path.

I stayed in these mountains for countless years, trying to be as cautious as one could who feasts on humans. For a time I reigned in a small village not far from here. I was their Goddess! They were all my thralls and I took from each whatever I wished, up to death if I so desired. They were my thralls and the wife would eagerly offer up her husband to please her Goddess! The husband his children, even so.

I turned one who worshiped me and made her my Daughter. Her appetite was insatiable, and in time she was my downfall. Her pride and sloppiness would often combine and she would leave her victims with bite marks plainly visible. Oh, Ecaterina, you fool…

Conquerors came and went throughout the years. This was good for me. Soldiers disappear all of the time. Easy to take for me — what soldier would turn down a smiling woman offering herself? I grew to love war. War brought me safe meals with nobody caring to look closely at just one more dead soldier. I know from your memories that you are a student of history, Richard. Then you must know that life in those times was near-constant war. I was satiated with blood and death.

Between the Hungarians and the Ottomans I never lacked for blood! The Russians were my downfall, however. It was 1877 and they came in to Wallachia and Transylvania to help oust the Ottomans. They brought their Orthodox Priests. Priests who knew vampires and knew them well, it seems!

Maria sighed and was silent for a moment. Ecaterina fed well on the soldiers over the years but her appetite betrayed her to the Priests. She was careless and left corpses everywhere. She didn’t care enough to hide her bite marks. The Priests and their helpers tracked her down and staked her. And through her they found me.

Mark my words; we are far more intelligent and cunning than any human. Far more! However, if one is not careful, one’s hubris can become so powerful that one can become careless. This happened to me. I acted as if no mere mortal could ever harm me, let alone destroy me. I should have taken Ecaterina’s death as a warning and fled. But, my pride was great and I thought myself indestructible.

Eventually, I was caught in a trap - as you correctly surmised my dear. They began stalking me and baiting me when I would hunt. I later understood their intent — they wanted me to chase! And I did. Until one night I chased one of them into a trapped room. They sealed me in a room with windows behind steel bars that I could not break. And they waited for daylight.

I was in agony in full sunlight. I was burning, slowly but surely. Sometime after I became unconscious they took me to the room you found me in and chained me to that post.

I know not why they did not stake me. I would have, in their place! I also do not know why they took me to the room that you found me in. I do know this — they were terrified of me. I could sense it — taste it.

Perhaps their fear kept them from finishing me? I will never know. They never once spoke to me, though I pleaded with them in Russian and offered deals, wealth, whatever it would take to make them release me.

I spent decades when I was not sleeping there wondering why they never destroyed me. I know that I shall never learn the answer, now. I would love to, though.

So, chained and unable to break it I slept and conserved my strength. I recovered from the burns, somewhat. But I knew that I was permanently weakened. Nobody found me until you. It was a bad time for you. If you had come slightly later I would have been dead — earlier, I would have drained you and bought myself decades.

You sound as if you regret being found? Richard asked her.

Eh, my time is past and I weary of things. I cannot take over this body as you have feared! He heard her mocking laughter. Yes, I know your fear but it is groundless! Your modern world with so many marvels that I see in your memories would be a frightening place for me. I will leave you eventually and be glad of the eternal rest. Part of me will live on in you and part will go on to whatever there is. At least, this is what I sense will happen. I may be wrong in this.

Her tone turned curious. We must prevent this odd state where neither of us is in control. I do not understand it but we must not risk it. Perhaps it is a struggle between us?

I honestly do not know, Duchess. I am completely lost. Is there no way to change me back? Maybe find you a woman’s body to inhabit?

He detected actual sympathy in her answer. No, that is beyond anyone’s ability to do. My innate magic changed you. I did not mean for it to happen. It… happened. There was no thought to it, my new friend — my consciousness, soul if you will… that which is ME, leaped into you and you transformed. I had no control over this and did not expect such a thing to happen. I was, and am, shocked that such a thing could happen!

Richard nodded, sadly. What did you mean you will fade away or leave me? What will I do with you gone? How will I survive? I know nothing of being a vampire!

She laughed. He was beginning to like her musical laugh. That might be years, decades, or even a century from now! There will be time before I go to teach you all you need know. We shall feed often and you will come to love it as I do.

No. I don’t want to go around killing people to ‘feed’. It is evil!

Evil? Bah! The rabbit, were you able to ask it, would call the wolf evil for hunting it for food. The wolf, his opinion would differ! We are wolves to humanity’s rabbits. You understand this I see. You call it a ‘food chain’ — you learned of this in school when you were nine years old, am I right?

He hated when she prowled through his mind, but agreed. Maybe so, but a rabbit is not a human being and there is morality involved in killing people.

You speak to me of morality? We are advanced far beyond humans. As far as people above a wolf, yes? We are stronger, smarter, immortal save for misadventure or being murdered. We have superior vision, hearing, sense of smell and taste. Do you not see? But do not speak to me of morality! I do not take children, for instance. One could argue that I do not for the same reason the hunter does not take the baby deer. Or one could argue it is because I treasure children. Both are valid reasons — and both are true for me.

Richard sighed. Couldn’t we just take a pint or two and not kill them?

She laughed again. Why limit ourselves to a paltry amount when we can take what we wish? We can grant rapture as we drain them and they go willingly and experiencing bliss. Or, we can let them stay lucid and smell their fear and terror as they struggle as we drain their life away! It is delicious!

Witness it!

Her perception shifted and she was before a haughty woman dressed very regal, who ordered her to leave at once. She smiled, revealing her fangs, and the woman gasped in fear and tried to run. She easily overtook the woman and pulled her into an embrace, grinning in delight at her terror. The woman fought hard but she was so much stronger. She bit into the woman’s neck and began to batten on her as the struggles slowly weakened. Maria’s excitement grew as her prey struggled and fought her.

Duchess, that… that was horrible!

Bah. She was a bitch, another spoiled brat daughter of some local duke. She lorded it over all until I showed her true superiority! We fed once and you loved it — do not deny it! We shall feed again and you will see. I love feeling them struggle and fight me and then slowly they weaken in my arms.

Richard was horrified. You… enjoyed her terror. You reveled in it, even. You are so evil. You’re like the most evil vampires in the movies. You lust to kill and you love their fear as you murder them.

She did a mental sniff. I do not see it that way. I am just a predator and she was prey. But of course I enjoyed it! Your movies I can see in your mind. ‘Dracula’ and ‘Van Helsing’ and all of that. So amusing! Of course the prey portrays us as evil and cruel and vicious! As I said before, so would the rabbit portray the wolf! My thralls that I mentioned before? They adored me and I was never cruel to them. They were useful and kept me safe for close on a century.

He thought for a few moments before advancing his next argument. If we are stronger and more intelligent, then we should attempt to be more moral, too! We should protect the weak and not prey upon them. Preying on the weak and helpless is wrong. That is true evil.

Does the lion protect the lamb? Does the snake defend the rat? No. We owe the weak nothing! At best, we owe them a painless death… perhaps as payment for nourishing us. Though at times I can be cruel — I can admit this! — most times, Richard, I put them into a trance and they go happy. Can the victims of your TWO World Wars say as much, eh? I find myself gasping at the sheer numbers of dead you humans piled up over the years while I slept. Deaths in the millions? Incinerating entire cities with these atomic bombs? And you question MY morality? She sniffed, again.

That’s neither here nor there, Maria. I’ll starve myself and die before I murder people like that! He was certain that that was the only option and he said it to her as firmly as he could.

He could tell she thought him a fool again, though she did not voice the thought. No, we will not starve. The hunger would force us to attack long before that happened. And we’d end up staked. I FELT Ecaterina die, and it was not pleasant. I know you eat meat. Do you feel sorry for the cow that died for your steak? What of the poor cow, hmm?

Richard fired right back. The cow was taken care of, well-fed, and was slaughtered as humanely as possible so that it didn’t suffer. And a cow is not self-aware! It is not human.

Neither are you, now. And as I said before, my foolish naíve friend, we are as far above the humans as the humans are above the cow. I see no difference.

Humans have a soul! Cows, rabbits, and even wolves do not!
He replied heatedly.

Her reply was sly. Oh, do they now? Then why do you not believe that? Do not forget that I see your memories and know you better than you know yourself, now! Do not prattle to me of souls and morality, Richard Harrison. You doubt the existence of God; you doubt the existence of the soul. You are agnostic, in an agnostic world judging by your thoughts and memories. The church seems to have lost its grip on the world, at last! She seemed pleased by this.

Why are you so happy to learn that, Maria?

Her answer was tinged with amusement. We are not so different, you and I. I listened to the Priests, and I did not know their words for truth or lies. Regardless of whether they are right or wrong, I was never certain. If they were right that I am a creature of darkness — a supernatural Hell-spawn, even… why then does the cross not harm me? Why could I drink the holy water of a priest and stand there grinning at him when it did nothing?

She shared that memory with him and it made him laugh. The poor man was just stunned that the evil vampire woman in front of him touched his cross and drank his holy water. He was even further stunned when she made him her latest snack.

I still don’t know that I can get used to living like this, Duchess. It just feels… wrong. Not just the feeding! But I am a woman now! There is too much to take at once, here!

You call me Duchess one moment and Maria the next. She giggled. Call me Maria. We are much closer than any other two people have been, I daresay.

Alright, then, Maria. How is it that you speak English so well? I’d have thought you’d speak Romanian.

He heard an exasperated sigh. I told you when I was born, and I told you what year I was trapped and chained up. Do you not think that I had thralls and even friends who were not Romanian in all that time? I also told you how intelligent we are. I knew German, English, French, Russian, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish… hmm, some Greek, Latin, and German as well.

Richard was a bit shocked that she knew all these languages. Wow!

Also, do not forget that I am in your mind, or you are in mine. Your language is like my own, now.

Richard thought of the sheer amount of history that this woman must have witnessed and for a moment felt jealousy for what she had seen and experienced. This prompted another chuckle from Maria.

You mistake living in that time for experiencing everything. I kept myself isolated for the greater part of the time, you see. For example, the Wallachian Uprising in 1821? Of course I knew of it, but for me it was yet another source of food with less danger to me.

Richard replied. Still, you had the opportunity to see so much! It is a shame you didn’t take it.

Do not think I did not know what was going on in the world. I knew of your Civil War in the United States, you know. I could have gone there, easily. I even considered it, once. Your country appealed to me in some ways, from the things that I heard of it.

Maybe we can get there one day soon, Maria. I am open to try if you wish. I don’t know what to do or where to go, at all.

As a vampire we can go where we wish and do what we wish! You shall see.

Richard idly wondered if there were still vampires around today, and if so how many there might be.

I do not know, of course. I can tell you that, in my time, I only ever knew of one other like me besides Gregor. I sensed him or her but they fled my hunting ground before I could make contact. If we still exist in your time you will sense if you come near one. Your stories and movies that I see in your mind suggest to me that some may still exist.

Richard nodded, thinking that she was most likely correct.

Now, we must leave this place and hunt. After, we should travel. Humans fly, now! Such a thing astounds me. Maybe we go to your home country, yes. Oh, and we must read this book ‘Dracula’ one day soon. Your memories of it are not precise and I would read this story that introduced vampires to the world!

Richard was surprised at the reading request but said, sure, if you want.

Richard looked down at his generous bosom and the simple dress she’d forced him to steal from the poor peasant’s house. He asked her another question. What do I look like, now?

Did you not see yourself in the mirror? I saw a glimpse as we walked through. You look like me, of course. If I may be immodest, quite lovely. Beautiful hair, luscious red lips, a perfect womanly figure that always attracted the men! You will never lack for companionship! Go to the mirror!

Richard looked at himself and saw an exquisitely beautiful and sexy woman looking back at him with a shocked expression. The reflection looked slightly haughty and sophisticated, while at the same time wanton and sexy.

She laughed and sent more scenes into his head of various men pursuing her with lust in their eyes. Worse, from his point of view, she also let him experience sex with some of them.

He shuddered and then decided to change the subject and answered her earlier question. I don’t think I could fly home now even if I wanted to, Duchess! My passport says ‘Richard Harrison’ and lists me as male! I’d not get through security to even board a plane! Look at me! I could not pass for myself no matter how hard I tried!

Perhaps, then, we tour Europe for a bit, eh? I never left the confines of Wallachia and Transylvania for most of my years. And even then, I’ve only been to Hungary and a short time in Austria, once.

That will be hard to do, I am nearly broke. I was going to leave for home, soon.

She was amused at his answer. Money is not a problem any longer for you, as you shall see.

Richard didn’t answer; he was holding a hand to his chest.

I have a heartbeat! Very slow but I feel it! Richard exclaimed.

She answered lazily, in a way that told him she had zero curiosity about biology or how vampiric life differed from human. Yes, it does beat. What of it? Ah, you are thinking of your movies again. ‘Undead’ corpses shambling about, with glowing eyes, sucking victims dry! No heartbeat because they are animated corpses! Bah! We are not ‘undead’. The concept is a fiction. We are beyond life.

Richard’s curiosity kept bringing up new questions. What about crosses, or holy water? Shouldn't they affect you, us?

What about them? Oh, yes, your movies and books about vampires, again. No, they are just objects to us. Nothing to fear. She became amused. You do not see it as I do, yet. Think… you are writing a book about the evil vampires against the noble humans. You MUST give the poor humans some weapon or a way to win, yes? You give the poor humans a powerful talisman that the vampire cowers before!

So, being staked in the heart is the only way we can die?

That or beheading or burnt up in fire are the only ways I believe we could die, yes. The light of the sun is painful and over time will kill. I was never tempted to find out. The time I spent in the sun when they captured me was quite enough! Guns could be a problem if they shoot us in the head enough times, I daresay. The heart recovers if shot, though. It happened to me, once. Our healing powers are astounding.

Richard finally voiced something that had been bothering him. You were in control at the house when we left the castle, weren’t you?

Maria hesitated for a few moments, then answered, slightly puzzled. I was, but yet I was not. We were both present, yet not. It felt like instinct to me. I did not think conscious thoughts at all during that, and I can tell that you did not, either. It is as I said, earlier. It is some strange state and I think it is dangerous to us both. We fed on that couple you keep remembering and feeling guilty about. But, we did it and did not realize we were doing it. We must prevent that happening again! It is too dangerous for us to do this sleep-walking!

I don’t know why or how it happened. You said that when you tried to take control it happened?

Her response sounded annoyed. Yes. It seemed to cause the fading for me.

Then I suggest we don’t fight over control, to keep that from happening.

You are correct. We must work together if we are to survive.

Well, we need to settle this feeding thing!

When he mentioned feeding the thought raged up from her. We should feed again, soon. It has been so long!

I’d rather not. He’d started remembering the walk from the castle, and attacking the couple at their cabin. It was almost a pleasant-seeming memory, to his mortification and utter horror.

She laughed with delight, having caught his feelings. Oh, yes. Soon you will be eager enough. You are just beginning to learn how wonderful it is!

He shuddered. How often must we feed?

She responded promptly. At least weekly, perhaps every two weeks. When I could safely do it, I sometimes fed daily just for the thrill of it. Going without more than a month is extremely painful.

She abruptly changed the subject.

You must take a woman’s name. Your mind is becoming more female and you know your body IS female. You cannot continue to think of yourself as ‘Richard’. That is a strong masculine name and is no longer you.

What should I choose? Maria?

No. You are not me, you are you. A new name is needed.

Richard thought for a while as the Duchess grew silent. He thought of women’s names beginning with the letter ‘R’ for some reason. How about Rachel? I always liked that name.

Mm, yes. That name is a good name. Rachel Harrison.

Rachel Maria Harrison?

Maria was pleased, he could tell. Yes! I like that. You honor me by keeping my name, as well. I am happy with that.

Rachel silently pondered her new identity. It seemed to make her transition to womanhood more real, somehow.

Exactly, Rachel. You ARE a woman now; you need to embrace your new self. Now, let us go back in the old castle. I had you bring the satchel for a reason…

~o~O~o~

Soon Rachel was led to an area that looked no different from any other and was pointed to a certain stone by the Duchess. When she removed it and reached in the resulting hole she pulled out tattered pieces of cloth and gold coins. In the end there were nearly a hundred of the heavy coins.

Rachel wondered how Maria knew of the coins and learned that this castle was a place she and Gregor had actually stayed in, for a time. They always kept some gold or silver around for emergencies.

Maria caught Rachel’s excitement over the coins and laughed. We can use these, yes, and having money is a good thing of course. But, our nature means that we can get by in this world without money in most circumstances. You shall see.

Rachel made her way back out of the ruins and decided to sit down for a bit and continue her conversation with Maria.

Ok, if we are going to travel and err, feed, we need to get identification, and a passport.

I do not understand this need for paper that says you are yourself.

Rachel laughed out loud. Without it we could not go to my homeland. We could not do a lot of things. It’s just part of life in the twenty-first century, Maria. Better get used to it! I think with all of this gold we could afford to pay someone to make a fake ID…

Pay? She was amused, again. No, Rachel, we will not pay. And we do not need to get anything that is faked. We will go visit whatever official grants this ‘ID’ and he will happily give us whatever we need. I will teach you how we enthrall a man. They are easier than women, especially when giving direction. You forget, you are a ravishing beauty, now.

Rachel blushed and glanced down at her breasts and looked at her small petite hands. She WAS ravishing and exotic, now. This brought uncomfortable thoughts of male attention that she’d rather have not come up. Maria was laughing at her again and this made it all worse.

I would like to be there when you are first with a man. Oh yes, I will be, will I not? Her laughter pealed through Rachel’s head.

Rachel shuddered and replied acidly. What makes you think that I will ever be with a man, Maria?

You will, I think. One day, it will happen. But, Rachel, long before I became vampire I learned to control and manipulate men. They are so easily led! Being a vampire makes it too easy, honestly. We must work out our body control issues so that I can show you this, soon. You need to learn to BE a woman, Rachel — for that is what you are, now. Vampire or not, you are a woman!

Rachel knew that Maria was right, but felt so lost and adrift in this new body and situation that she almost wanted to cry.

Now, enough of that. I want you to relax completely and let me attempt to raise your arm.

Rachel nodded and relaxed as much as possible, and was soon watching her right arm rise up and her fingers opening and closing with no apparent will of her own doing it.

Maria was very pleased and projected a sense of overwhelming relief that she was able to move Rachel’s arm and use her hand. Rachel assumed that the relief was due to Maria not feeling as trapped and unable to touch the world but that wasn’t it.

Of course it feels good to DO something, Rachel. However, my fear was that you would not or could not feed and we would be left wandering the world, half-starved, feral, and fangs showing to all humans who came near!

Rachel let Maria continue to move her arms and even stand up and sit down, and finally walk around a bit. Letting Maria do this allowed Rachel to think on her situation a bit more, and face what really bothered her even more than becoming a woman: feeding on humans.

Would that really happen if we didn’t feed for a long time? I’d turn into some feral monster lashing out at whoever I saw?

Yes, it would. Your instincts would take over. It would be much like the state we were in when we first fed at that cabin near the castle. It would end with us staked or, if your thoughts and memories are anything to go by, locked in some laboratory and studied and probed and even dissected! Maria shuddered and Rachel’s body shuddered right along with her.

You think of me as a bloodthirsty evil monster, Rachel. And yet, you have scientists and researchers doing horrible things all over the world. You read an article not long ago about an allergy to wheat. Wheat, of all things! And there was speculation that it might be caused by humans who have manipulated the seeds to make the crop larger.

Rachel nodded, remembering that well. But, that has nothing to do with murdering people!

Maria snorted. Does it not? If this keeps happening, millions could starve, Rachel. It would be genocide if they mess with food to the point that people cannot eat it! Listen to me, Rachel. And please listen carefully. Rachel nodded and focused on Maria’s voice.

Yes, I kill to survive. I often enjoy it, truly. It is my nature! It is what I am. But I am nothing compared to what I see going on in your world, Rachel! Still there are countless wars. Famines, not only caused by poor weather but by human greed and stupidity. Horrible new weapons in an endless quest to find better ways to kill. World War Two? Prussian efficiency taken to such sick extremes it even nauseates a killer such as myself! The Russians and their Soviet State? Millions more starved and killed. I cannot comprehend such numbers of corpses! Still it goes on and on.

Perhaps humanity’s problem is that killing has become too easy? Your soldiers no longer face each other on a field, and hack at each other with swords or shoot at each other with simple rifles such as in my time. Oh, no, it is so much easier now. Your soldiers fly and drop death from the skies in safety while people below are blown to pieces.

So please, Rachel, spare me your moralizing and your superior attitude! I am appalled at so much that I have seen in your mind. People now kill and destroy at a remote distance, their hands un-bloodied — or so they think! Your people kill by proxy, Rachel. Your butchers kill cows and chickens and sheep and your hands are never dirty. You receive your meat nicely packaged and never need see how it reached you. Your enemies are slaughtered by your soldiers and you do not even have to see the results — you merely profit from the destruction at a distance.

We must soon visit a library or this internet you often think of so that I can learn more. I do not like much, if any, of what I have seen but I want to know what the world now holds for me, and for you.

Maria left Rachel feeling stunned and somewhat ashamed after her speech. Rachel could not refute what was said, but still felt that killing people was wrong and they needed to find a way to survive without ending lives.

A sigh from Maria reached her, and Rachel was surprised to sense some idea of compromise forming. Rachel… we may be able to do something as you suggest. I will consider what could be done. You have thought repeatedly of ‘blood banks’, which are, if I understand correctly, places blood is stored to replace blood lost in accidents and misfortune, yes?

Rachel replied, Yes, I was thinking that maybe we could dine on blood from there rather than killing people!

We will try it, when we get settled in somewhere for a time. I promise nothing, and I suspect we need it fresh — but we will try if it soothes your conscience.

Thank you, Maria. Rachel was very pleased that Maria was willing to at least try a different path.

Think nothing of it, Rachel. We must work together to survive and I am quite capable of compromise.

~o~O~o~

She left the castle ruins and began to make her way back to the rental car, hoping it would still be there. After some time she found it, undisturbed. With a happy sigh she settled into the driver’s seat.

Now, let us go to that town you passed through to get here. We must find lodging and then a meal! And I have a strong desire to ride in this automobile of yours.

Maria loved riding in the car, exclaiming occasionally about various changes in the world as they neared civilization. After the roads became better the sky began to lighten and they pulled into a small hostel to spend the day. She had gotten quiet, and when Rachel asked her what was wrong her reply was simple.

So much has changed, Rachel. It really is a brand new world for me. I am taking it all in.
Silence reigned again as she let Maria take it all in while she pondered her new life. Rachel was still a bit shocked that she actually liked Maria, and was growing fond of her. The woman was a murderer, a thousand times over… yet she was likable and fun to talk with!

Rachel expected a reply to that thought but Maria was too busy taking in the scenery and enjoying riding in the car to bother to respond. She might have had a moment of amusement there, though. The Duchess was often amused at things that Rachel would not be.

Rachel’s thoughts triggered a response, finally. Live almost three hundred years, Rachel, and you, also, will find more things amusing than not. Life seems, at times, to be a huge joke perpetrated on humanity — and vampires! — by some unknown prankster!

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Duchess of Arad, Chapter 2

So, Maria/Rachel can nt morph into fog, a bat, or a wolf. Just what can she do?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

re: Maria's lack of powers

Well, if you accept the premise of a vampire, sure, you could do like Bram Stoker and let them change to mist or bats or wolves or whatever. Let them climb up and down walls, etc. That's the more supernatural, spawn-of-hell / walking corpse view.

Then there's the more secular view that it is a virus or an evolutionary shift granting mainly fantastic healing abilities, more strength, and feeding off the species right below you on the ladder - humans.

I tend to the latter, obviously, with maybe a touch of the former. As it has been said, any technology advanced enough above your own cannot be distinguished from magic!

JennySugarLogo.png

You must be a scholar

Most Americans would know nothing of the Ottomans, or their fight with the Russians.

Nice Story, nice writing.

Gwendolyn

re: Scholar

Thank you, Gwen!

I am a student of History, for sure. I am glad that it shows :)

Thank you for reading and for your comment :)

JennySugarLogo.png

Well, someone really is

Well, someone really is disillusioned with humanity. On the other hand she doesn't get that she can't just kill people and remove the marks anymore. Imagine someone does an autopsy and realizes the victim is pretty much bloodless and these deaths repeat...
One death is murder a million deaths are statistic. Maria needs to realize that this mentality also aplies to herself. She could only kill like she did, because she could do it in obscurity. If her presence is known the hunter will easily become the hunted. I wonder why the monks left her in that monastery and didn't just stake her. Did they have somekind of premonition?

I wonder if she's really as much smarter than the normal human as she claims or if that's just a mental illness of hers. Apparently she likes to eat humans, but what would happen if humans ate a vampire? ];-> or the vampires drink animal blood?

Thank you for writing this captivating story, I can't wait for the next chapter,
Beyogi

disillusionment

Well, from my POV, if you lived roughly 300 years starting around 1600, then slept and woke up around 2010 you'd be very pessimistic about humanity in general. And yeah, Romania and its surrounding countries were a bloodbath for ages. Life was cheap, living to 30 was an optimistic goal, indeed. Someone from that time would have a worldview far different than ours.

Rachel should be a good check on Maria's bloodlust, maybe... we shall see won't we? ;-)

We'll have to see if she is smarter... she is certainly more arrogant!

Thank you for commenting!

JennySugarLogo.png

Wow.

Fascinating, the differences in perspective you've shown in this chapter. I can understand Maria being appalled by the wholesale death and destruction humanity has become capable of. Nice job here.

Maggie

thanks Maggie

You've long been a favorite author of mine, I found you at Sapphire's Place, as I recall?

Yeah, Maria is a product of her times. A bit fatalistic, and a bit ruthless. But even one such as her has trouble comprehending millions of people - and slaughtering millions? It blows her mind!

I really appreciate you commenting on the perspective. I worked that out as I wrote it, honestly. I let Maria give her point of view. It flowed quite well, I think :)

Working on Chapter 3. Not as happy with it as the first two, so might do some revising.

JennySugarLogo.png

very nice dialog

Hello Jenny,

I like the way the two worlds, world views if you want, clash.
They have a different background and none is really right or wrong, they see things from their own point of view. Only seems somebody is not yet capable of accepting to change her view because her point of view slightly changed... Aiii...
I think you managed to write a realistic and interesting dialog. And added also some new elements. E.g. the concept of beyond life.

OK, the theoretical sorting out has been done. No doubt the next chapter will be full of action as Bonny and Clyde start to ravage the countryside? Awaiting it eagerly...!
But take your time, never post something you are not satisfied with yourself!

Karin

dialog

Thank you so much, Karen!

Yes indeed, two radically different world views clashing. Don't expect that to just sort itself out overnight, eh? ;)

Bonny and Clyde, hmm. I could see Maria being all over this as long as it meant lots of tasty meals... she wouldn't much care for the loot.

Luckily for Europe, the balance of power within Rachel's body sits with Rachel, or things would get quite scary for anyone in the vicinity of Rachel/Maria...

JennySugarLogo.png

Two polar opposites colliding?

Rachel must learn to cope with becoming a woman and a vampire; while Maria must cope with waking up to a radically changed world. Before her capture, Maria was free to do pretty much whatever she wanted without regard for consequences. Now, she must compromise with Rachel. The plus for Maria is that she has Rachel to be her guide in learning about this new world.

Maria keeps mentioning her superior intelligence. Yet it was a group of mere people working together who imprisoned her before. Will Rachel be able to keep Maria's ego in check?

I was put off by the killing in the first chapter. This second chapter turned out to be a very pleasant surprise and I'm glad that I continued reading.

_Bev_

Thanks!

I appreciate all comments! They really motivate me to write :)

You are 100% correct... each must learn things from the other. Richard was a good person, Maria was evil, indeed. However, Richard was also a bit of a geek and isolated and absorbed in his studies, while Maria does have a good side.

Yeah well any vampire who has lived two or three hundred years would have an ego the size of the grand canyon, I'd think? :)

Sorry about the killing but that is very much Maria's life and how she lived it. Perhaps things will change?

JennySugarLogo.png

I wonder, as the *turning* was not typical, will the outcome

also not be typical?

Maria and Rachel as she now calls their self seem to becoming one or at least closer.

I wonder, will their preconceived ideas of what is human, what is prey evolve over time?

Can they find a healthy compromise?

She was transformed without a blood to blood exchange but by Marias's rapidly weakening magic/vampire powers. IE just a touch no bitie-bitie, will Rachel be something not quite human nor fully vampire? More of a human/vampire hybrid?

Can she bear children or must she *make* a child as Maria did?

Can Maria find happiness, release from her pain? Find a way to lose her anger and arrogance?

Can Rachel find a life as a vampire and woman without sacrificing all that he was and believed in?

Maria was being a bit unfair saying how horrid modern times are. Her day was far worse in terms of justice, law, freedom, health, life expectancy and so on. Modern life is no picnic but her time was no nirvana.

And we do have a BIG MYSTERY. Why did the monks imprison her but NOT inflict final death on her? What did they fear ? Or did they have a prophesy that somehow in the far future she would do a great good? Thus she was spared.

If so, what is it Rachel must do?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. And please no sparkly vampires!

-- snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

Sparkly Vamps

Rachel stepped towards the stranger, who was oddly sparkling in the sunlight. "I am Rachel, who are you?"
The moody dark stranger with the strange sparkles answered "I am Edward Cullen, vampire! And I sparkle!"
Rachel looked doubtful and showed her fangs.

SORRY! LOL. But you did ask for it :p

I agree with you, the 1600s were a lot rougher for your average human. But, remember that to someone from that time, the very concept of 10 million dead would overwhelm them completely. Also, our dear Duchess was a noble, not a peasant... so her concept of a hard life would be a little different, no?

The turning was not typical, no... and our heroines have no idea why it happened or even what happened, do they?

Ah the mystery... will my readers learn WHY she was chained up rather than staked? Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel! (sorry)

Thank you so much for commenting! I devour comments as Maria devours blood!

Jenny

JennySugarLogo.png

I, Buffy the Vampire Killer will eat messy Spaghetti dinner ...

in front of you, Rachel, then drink a Bloody Mary just to piss you off.

Now, I would kill you but Angel senses good in you and for a vamp ...he's really well hun...um, built?

-- snicker --

Thanks for the feedback.

As a reader I want to know the WHY's behind the important characters. Sometimes faster than is prudent.

I strongly believe the *fused* souls of Maria and Rachel, the former Richard, are destined to do some or several great deeds.

And I always thought that undead bit though fun was a pile-of shi... crock.

Mind you great power has it's limits, be it an actual limit to your power or the idea of a better mouse creates a better mousetrap and visa versa.
IE there is always something bigger and badder than you waiting out there.

A LOW PROFILE is usually a good idea.

And I will give both Marian and the Richard parts of Rachel's soul a bit of a get out of jail free card.

He was an academic and a bit naive.

Maria was a noble and naive, then turned while young, widowed even faster and, well.. made a lot of mistakes. But NO ONE should have to witness and worse, experience firsthand the death of their own child, even a careless one like hers. She is a product of her upbringing and sad life but not a callous killer. I think there remains the spark of a decent soul in her tortured spirit.

I would hope Rachel IS a hybrid. That she can control her vampire lusts, tame them to something tolerable. And that BOTH she and the remnants of Maria can experience the ups and downs of love, motherhood and all that.

Between the two of them they night just be something very special.

Like the start so far. So many ways this can go, light, dark or shades of grey.

Sweet.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wakawaka

Thank YOU for the thoughtful commentary, I really enjoy it!

Fused? Perhaps, perhaps not. Robert Jordan had a very cool saying when meeting his Wheel of Time fans: RAFO (Read And Find Out). :D

Well I have to agree with Maria regarding the undead, somewhat. That is her view of course, but I think it somewhat valid.

I think you'll see that Maria will soon realize that a low profile in the 21st century is a Very Good Thing.

Maria was a noble and naive, then turned while young, widowed even faster and, well.. made a lot of mistakes. But NO ONE should have to witness and worse, experience firsthand the death of their own child, even a careless one like hers. She is a product of her upbringing and sad life but not a callous killer. I think there remains the spark of a decent soul in her tortured spirit.

Very good! You see Maria in much the same way as I do. Yes, her child's destruction certainly molded her worldview.

I really appreciate you taking the time to discuss my story, John! You and everyone who comments! It means a LOT to me and it really fires me up to write more!

All the best, hugs, and enjoy chapter 3 - just posted :)

Jenny

JennySugarLogo.png

So amazing! This needed a great story button:)

I am so going to revel in this story. I'm not a vampire fan but do like them when done right. Maria is done very, very, right:) And Rachel's really easy to like.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

vindicated!

I was hoping that you would like this story, Bailey!

Great big hugs back at you!

JennySugarLogo.png