The Duchess of Arad, Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
duchess maria.jpg
The Duchess of Arad
Chapter 3

To Sibiu, former capital of the Kingdom of Transylvania

by Jenny Sugar
Copyright © 2012 Jenny Sugar
All Rights Reserved.

 


 

sibiu.jpg They stopped and got a room at a bed and breakfast and after settling in the room Maria pointed out that Rachel was hungry and that it was time to hunt. Rachel did not like this at all and they argued for nearly an hour before Maria prevailed and they began to prowl the streets. Maria was looking for a certain type of person, and Rachel finally asked her about it.

Her reply was distracted but informative. We are looking for cutpurses, thieves, rapists, and the like. The kind of people that, if they are to disappear, nobody will take note of it — or if they do get noticed, it will be welcomed.

Well Maria, I must say I’d be much happier making a meal out of some rapist or murderer than some innocent person.

That is well, Rachel. I am trying to work within your morality and at the same time lessen chances of you raising any alarm with anyone.

Maria spotted a man who was watching a small store. The words on the store escaped Rachel though she thought it might be a pawn shop of some sort. Maria confirmed that it was indeed just that. This just annoyed Rachel, who thought it unfair that this unholy merger with an ancient vampire would not have at least granted her some language skills.

Maria laughed at her annoyance, thinking she was being childish. I did not set the table for this meal, Rachel, no more so than you did. We must eat the meal provided and be thankful we have the meal, yes?

Rachel agreed but felt slightly petulant that she did not seem to gain a lot from this nightmare other than possible eternal life.

Quit feeling sorry for yourself. Eternal life, strength, beauty, intelligence… you have gained far more than you lost. Enough moping, Rachel, we need to either cooperate here or you need to let me take control of our body. Which do you prefer to do?

Rachel’s answer was prompt. You do it! Just tell me what to do and I’ll let you drive.

Drive?

Like the car? You will be in control.

That brought laughter, again. I love your idioms, Rachel! I look forward to visiting America and seeing the land that produced so many amusing phrases! All right then, I want you to relax and just let me try to move our body, as we did before. Do not resist, just pretend you are riding in the car beside me!

Rachel stood quietly beside a lamppost and waited to see if Maria could do anything again. Suddenly she felt herself walking and let out a squeak. There! Ah, now we shall feed, Rachel! Just observe and do not interfere, please.

Maria walked up to the man who was obviously casing the pawn shop and smiled seductively at him. He spoke to her, in Romanian. Rachel could follow what he said pretty well. “Get lost. I have no time for whores right now, woman!”

Maria simply stared into his eyes and Rachel noted that the man soon became relaxed and pliant. He followed Maria’s gesture and followed her to an alley less than a block down the street. Once deep inside the alley Maria turned and Rachel felt her fangs come out as before. Soon they were feeding on the man and they both reveled at the energy and power felt from the man’s blood. The man did not struggle at all, but seemed lost in rapture, a huge grin on his face. Rachel understood that Maria was causing the man’s joy even as she drained him.

Soon, trouble came, however. Rachel spoke to Maria. Let’s stop now, we’ve fed a bit. Let him live!

Maria’s shock and annoyance was obvious. No! He is a thief and likely worse, and we need all that we can get from him. Small loss to the world that he leaves it and this will keep us from having to feed again for a few days, Rachel!

Soon the man’s body was dropped, right after Maria licked at his wounds and Rachel watched in amazement as they slowly closed over and vanished.

Will he rise as a vampire, later? I know you don’t expect it, but could it happen somehow? I don’t want to be responsible for an epidemic of vampires all over Europe.

Neither do I, but no, there is no danger of that. Turning someone takes a lot of blood and that is the last thing I have in mind! We have much to do before such a thing could even be considered!

Rachel stood staring at the body until Maria became annoyed and prodded her to get moving. The last thing we need is some official or anyone else to come by and see you standing over a dead man’s body, you fool! Now, move!

Rachel fled the alley and went back to the room they had rented. Her guilt bothered Maria but nothing was said. Rachel wasn’t just guilty. What bothered her most was that she had enjoyed draining the man’s blood and actually wanted to do it again.

The next evening Rachel found herself awakened at around five in the afternoon, the sun not quite set. We do not rise at the exact crack of dusk or fall over at dawn, Rachel! Avoiding the sunlight is the main concern.

They continued in the car, until they came to a signpost and Maria became animated. Sibiu! Yes, let us go there. I would love to see it, again! I am sure that it has changed much.

Sibiu was the capital of Transylvania, so I’d assume you’ve been there of course.

Certainly, I even lived there for a time. She brushed his thoughts, briefly. Ah, then to Arad and finally to Budapest! A good plan, I agree. You think to get our ID there, eh?

Yes, it’s a large city and it is also the capital of Hungary so we should be able to find someone to help us out. If you can, you know, put the whammy on some officials we might get a flight out there, too.

Maria dissolved in laughter once again. The ‘whammy’, Rachel?

Rachel blushed but soon joined Maria in giggles. Well, whatever you call it!

Rachel laughed so long and hard she hiccuped a few times, which set Maria off yet again.

Beyond the bizarre nature of the changes Rachel had been through, and the still unresolved issue of killing to feed, one thing became clear. Rachel and Maria were bonding and becoming close friends.

Rachel we are very close and I do consider us best of friends. We will work things out, I have no doubt. Now, we must purchase some clothing and supplies. I for one do not intend to go about Europe dressed in a peasant’s farm dress for the rest of our existence!

~o~O~o~

Sibiu astounded Maria, silencing her for the most part. She had Rachel look around often, and marveled at how the city had changed. Nothing much was the same as in her time. It was called Hermannstadt for a long time. Mostly German people lived here.

Yes, most emigrated back to Germany in the last sixty years or so.

They came to the part called The Lower Town and the sights became slightly familiar to Maria. Rachel could tell she was pleased to recognize an old church and some towers.

~o~O~o~

Rachel drove back to a hotel she had stayed at before and checked in. After handling that, she ran into a problem — selling the gold coins for Euros or some other currency would be hard to do limited to night-time only.

It is simple, Rachel. We wait for a rainy day and we go late in the afternoon. It will not be a problem.

Rachel accepted that, telling Maria: Alright, you are the experienced vampire here, so we’ll try that sometime in the next few days.

They spent two days in the luxurious hotel that Rachel had picked out for them. Both Rachel and Maria enjoyed decadent baths, tasted expensive wines, and enjoyed being pampered by the staff. Maria insisted on quite a lot of television time. She and Rachel watched countless movies, including Dracula, and any other vampire movies that they could find.

They ended up in quite a few discussions after watching such movies. Maria remarked, after Dracula ended, that being able to turn into a wolf, a bat, or even mist would be an incredibly handy thing to have available.

One of the Hammer Films was on and they watched it, as well. Taste the Blood of Dracula made Maria snort, giggle, and at times rant in disgust. This is so silly. This Dracula is an imbecile. They make the so-called King of Vampires into some foolish oaf who discards his servants and helpers left and right and so brings about his own end! Bah!

It’s a product of its time, Maria. It is not particularly good, but it gives you a good indication of what vampire films are like.

Yes, as I said after examining your memories, Rachel — the fictions about vampires make them weak or stupid, or they have some easily exploited weakness such as running water or crosses. So transparent and pathetic, is it not?

Now that I can see it through your eyes, yes, I have to agree!

One of the movies they watched was Star Wars, and if Rachel expected Maria to be blown away by it, she was sadly disappointed.

Oh, it was fantastical, Rachel! But the story itself is as old as me! Just retold in a different setting.

~o~O~o~

Rachel was shocked to find she could drink wine and eat food. Maria explained that the wine’s taste was the point, and that the alcohol would not affect Rachel in the slightest. Food did nothing for her, either. Some tastes, like chocolate, were still good. Maria discouraged her from eating very much, as she found having to use a toilet bothersome and would rather not deal with it any longer. It was Rachel’s turn to be amused at Maria, for a change.

Three hundred years old and afraid to go to the bathroom? Really, Maria?

Bah! That is something that I left behind when I turned, and good riddance to it.

~o~O~o~

The next day Rachel awoke at four in the afternoon and looked out to find overcast skies and intermittent showers. Maria was delighted, as this would be their opportunity to cash in the gold coins and do some shopping.

Their first stop was an antique dealer specializing in old coins, gold, silver, and other precious metals. The proprietor was excited over the old coins, and happily purchased a dozen of them for what Rachel considered to be a fair price. Loaded with Euros they left the shop and saw the shopkeeper locking up after them. The sun was soon to set, judging by the clocks around. But the overcast skies hinting at rain made it safe for them to be out and about.

After hours of trying on various dresses, tops, bottoms, bras, panties, boots, shoes, panty hose and stockings, Rachel decided that Maria was quite vain.

Of course I am, Rachel! We have a beautiful body and you would not drape rags over a palace window and call them curtains, would you?

Rachel admitted that she would not, but was still amused at the endless shopping and finickiness displayed by Maria. She seemed to be in her element and not more than once did Rachel fear their money would soon be exhausted.

Maria had her staring at every woman that crossed their path so that she could see what styles were worn and what class each woman was from. When Rachel tried to explain that there were not, exactly, classes any more it brought a snort from the ancient woman.

Do not be silly, Rachel. Look at that woman, there, cleaning those windows. She is a laborer and dresses the part. Now look over there at that bank. See the woman standing there waiting on a taxi? She is wealthy and knows it. Look at how she looks at others. See how different she dresses. Bah, you know all of this! You just never LOOKED closely before.

You are right, I never really considered it. Men do it, too, sure. I just never looked at women’s fashion and thought much about it.

You will be looking and wearing a lot more, Rachel. I want to project a wealthy woman’s appearance, I think. It will do more for us than anything, unless I am quite mistaken. But not too wealthy, we do not wish to attract attention, either.

There still aren’t classes, anymore, really Maria. Society has advanced far while you slept.

This brought laughter and derision from Maria. Then you are far more blind than I thought, Rachel. Peasants will always be peasants. Lords and Ladies, the same. Humans have not changed one whit! Only the terms have changed for what they do and who they are.

That is just not true, Maria! Your peasants’ lives were short and brutal and they barely kept themselves fed. They were fodder for the aristocracy to spend in war or to tax and oppress. We do not allow that, any more.

That brought a snort of derision from Maria. Your people in this century have this ridiculous notion that every man and woman is the equal to every other in all things. This egalitarianism you all practice, I find it childish and naíve. Tell me Rachel; was that thief that we killed in the alley your equal? You, who have a degree in Medieval History that you spent a large sum and four years of your life to achieve?

I just had more opportunities than he did, Maria. If he had the same ones as I, he could have gotten a degree and improved himself just as easily. It is all a matter of opportunity given or not given.

You do not believe that, Rachel! You are not stupid. Some are born to lead — born to greatness. Others are born to follow. I have seen it happen in countless villages and towns. Peasants gather and select a leader for themselves. They typically choose the man who is smarter and who sees things clearer than they. This is how communities and nations are built. The thief in the alley, the rapist prowling through the streets, the toughs who murder for fun — they will never aspire to be anything more than the scum that they are.

Maria you were in the aristocracy so perhaps that influences your view that —

Do not patronize me, Rachel! I have spent hundreds of years amidst every possible kind of person that you could imagine. Whores, thieves, murderers, lords, ladies, priests, orphans, builders, blacksmiths… I could go on for hours listing all of the people that I have spent time with and gotten to know well.

Maria spoke with passion and authority, and Rachel honestly was enjoying their debate.

Rachel, what is a Lord, a Mayor, a Duke? He was often a man who saw what needed to be done, and organized people for common defense, or to make sure the grain was planted, harvested, and safely stored. He made sure that thieves and bandits did not molest his people. Humans need leaders. Yes, I know you are now thinking of Stalin and Mao and Hitler and many other deplorable despots to throw at me. Those were not leaders, Rachel! They were thugs who ruled through fear and butchery. There is a difference.

Next you will be telling me that Kings and Queens ruled by Divine Right.

Bah! I do not speak of royalty but of leadership. Humans crave order and someone to follow, you know this! Your study of history, if nothing else, should have taught you that. Without leadership, there is only the rule of the mob. Vicious and nasty and it only leads to death. Mob rule is pure chaos and the end is always grim.

Rachel felt the strange sensation that accompanied Maria prowling through her memories and soon enough Maria had more ammunition. Every time there is a natural disaster, Rachel, what happens? I see memories of many in your mind and each time people loot, burn, rape, and kill. Every single time, Rachel! Your society is not so stable or as advanced as you would paint it. The least upset brings it down to a level below the society in my own time! Do you deny this?

No, I don’t deny it, Maria. I just think that you have this elitist view that some people are greater than others, and I just can’t agree with that. Are you saying that some are just born greater or maybe you mean that that the privileges and opportunities one is given determine that? I’d agree with the latter view.

Nature versus nurture, as you have heard it referred to? Perhaps, we can agree somewhat on that. But regardless of birthplace or birthright, there will always be the nobles and the peasants. The terms change but the mindset of humanity does not.

~o~O~o~

After returning to the hotel, Rachel found that the vast selection of clothing that Maria had chosen would project a modern-day businesswoman or perhaps a vacationing woman of leisure. Nothing about the clothing was slutty nor was it screaming wealth.

Rachel was soon sporting a pencil skirt and a stunning print top with a matching jacket. Ankle boots and stockings completed her look. She gazed at herself in the bedroom’s door-length mirror and was in awe. “I look incredible!”

Yes, Rachel, you certainly do! You look like the wealthier women we have observed but not too wealthy! People should treat you well but not get too interested, I hope. We have a nice selection to choose from, and we will add more as time goes by. Now, get those magazines out with all of the fashion and models and makeup and we will learn the proper looks and more importantly you will learn how to copy them. And this ‘laptop’ you bought, I wish to see what this ‘Internet’ is, and what it will do for us.

~o~O~o~

Rachel sat in her room in the hotel and argued with Maria about feeding for a while, and managed to put the Duchess off, for now. Instead, she let Maria “drive” their body and brush out her brown hair until it shone. Seeing the brush triggered more memories from the cabin and Maria remarked: You need to get over this… this… repugnance you feel about how we must survive. It is who you are now, who WE are.

I am dealing with being a woman, now. I think I am dealing with it quite well, considering. But the feeding really bothers me, Maria. I wish that I could just take a little and leave them alive.

The reflection in the mirror had perfect makeup that highlighted her natural beauty and enhanced it. With Maria’s help she had learned her lessons well. It almost seemed natural. Of course, they had gone through two entire bottles of makeup remover, a bottle of foundation, and put quite a dent in several trays of different eye-shadow colors. On the dresser beside all of the makeup was a brand new laptop with several makeup instruction sites opened in the web browser.

Maria has insisted that Rachel look not just good, but perfect. Rachel couldn’t argue with the results. In the mirror was a woman that Richard or just about any man would find stunning.

I look like a supermodel, now! I can’t believe that, it is just incredible. I also half-expected not to see a reflection in the mirror, you know.

She baited Maria, knowing that the woman tended to rant when confronted with vampire superstitions and weaknesses but she didn’t bite at all.

I would like to spend more time reading, Rachel, if you would not mind. This Josef Stalin you were thinking of... to think that the Russians, of all people, controlled half the world for a time. It astounds me! I would not expect such a thing, ever!

You really don’t like Russians do you, Maria?

Who does?

Rachel laughed and didn’t have an answer to that one.

~o~O~o~

Rachel dressed, put on makeup, and was brushing out her hair to make herself look presentable in preparation to go hunt, much as she didn’t want to. She could not argue with Maria though, she felt the hunger. Maria stopped her before they left the room and offered an interesting idea.

Rachel I would like you to ‘drive’ when we feed this time. You need to know how to do it.

Rachel paused in her brushing to explain how well that idea went over.

Listen to me! I want to let you try your notion of taking only a pint or two, then moving on. You wanted to do it, I am willing to let you if you will feed on your own, this once. Do we have a bargain?

Yes! Just tell me what to do, and I’ll do it!

Very well, first you need to learn to mesmerize your victim. Rachel nodded and began brushing her hair again.

You need to make eye contact.
Rachel stared into her own silvery-gray eyes and nodded, pausing with the brush.

Once you have contact you need to mentally reach out to the man or woman, and grasp their will. It is hard to explain but once you do it, you will find… Rachel? Rachel!? Rachel was staring into the mirror with a slight smile and her eyes did not seem to focus on anything.

RACHEL! Close your eyes. You fool girl, you mesmerized yourself!

Rachel shook her head and looked around sheepishly. She was blushing and felt like an idiot.

I see we have no need to train further on this subject. Maria’s tone was quite dry but tinged with amusement.

Now, when we find a likely victim you will mesmerize him and lead him to a secluded spot, then feed for a bit. You then will seal his wounds and order him to forget meeting you, and walk away. Understood, Rachel? You will have to fight to stop, girl. It is not easy but we will just have to see how you do.

Rachel nodded and hopped up, eager to try a humane feeding. Maria did not seem very excited about the prospect but offered no further comment as they headed out.

Maria, can I feed on a woman as well as a man? I know you fed on both at the cabin.

Of course you can. Men are more easily bent to your will, as there is a sexual component to the enthralling but either sex will work as well. Certain women who are more open to… closeness with other women would work just as well. Why do you ask?

I want to try with a woman!

Maria sighed and agreed. Very well, we likely need a whore, then. Do not be shocked, that is the easiest route for us. But a man would be far easier.

Rachel didn’t have a problem with this, but she suspected that Maria did. There was not a single reply or emotion in response to her pondering though, so she didn’t worry and focused on their mission.

~o~O~o~

After some searching they found the local ‘red-light’ district and found plenty of girls of various ages congregating on several streets. Rachel picked out a girl with blonde hair and very large breasts, earning a sniff of disdain from Maria. Rachel glanced around carefully to make sure that nobody was paying close attention to the upcoming transaction.

The girl got in the car and Rachel waved a hundred Euros at her. She smiled, nodded, and they drove off to the local park for some privacy. Rachel drove around until finding a lane that was deserted and parked the car, shutting off the engine.

The girl asked “Lesbiana?” and Rachel nodded. The girl nodded in return and smiled.

She then asked “Ce vrei?” Rachel knew enough Romanian to know she wanted to know what Rachel wanted to do.

“Doar saruta” (just kissing) she replied. The girl nodded happily and smiled again. This seemed an easy and quick hundred euros to her.

Rachel sensed several emotions from Maria; amusement, exasperation, and oddly enough, worry. She dismissed that and mesmerized the girl. Soon the girl was glassy eyed and her stare was vacant and Rachel made her move.

Her fangs plunged into the girl’s neck and soon she was sucking greedily at the wounds. The blood was delicious and her body felt the glow as she drank. Maria kept trying to talk to her but Rachel paid no attention and Maria faded to a distant buzz as she gulped more and more blood.

She came to her senses and found the girl slumped in the seat, nearly dead. Rachel licked the girl’s neck and watched as her body fell over, dead. She was horrified and waited on Maria to lash out at her for her idiocy. But that did not happen.

I am truly sorry, Rachel. I tried to reach you but the bloodlust was too strong for me to overcome. And I dared not try to take control! We know what happens when I try that. This is not your fault, you are not experienced enough to stop yourself, yet. In time, you will be able to, however.

Rachel started crying while Maria talked, and she got the sense that Maria wished to hug her and ease her pain. Maria did seem to understand her remorse and horror, at least.

Of course I understand, Rachel. I went through this for a time after I was turned. My first few victims left me guilty for a while. But in time I was able to shrug it off and it no longer bothered me.

Maria don’t you understand? I WANT it to bother me. I don’t approve of killing people just to eat lunch! It’s wrong, and it will always be wrong to me.

I do not completely understand your reasons, Rachel, but I do respect them. We will work to try to avoid killing as we can. And, when feeding we will try to limit ourselves to the more… unsavory and dangerous elements, perhaps? As we discussed? I do not want you to feel such hurt when you feed, Rachel.

Thank you, Maria. I can live with that, for now.

Good! We need to put her body in the bushes and flee this place before someone notices anything.

Rachel was driving away from the park when Maria surprised her yet again.

Let us go to where they store blood. We should try that, as well. I promised you we would seek out and try this, and we will.

Rachel was quite delighted with this proposal and regained some of her good cheer. She headed for the local hospital.

After mesmerizing a nurse, Rachel soon found herself in the hospital’s blood storage area. She instructed the nurse to go back to work and forget that he’d seen her. She pulled one of the small plastic bags of blood out of the refrigerated storage and looked at it. Well, here goes nothing!

Her fangs pierced the soft plastic and she began to drink. She immediately noticed that the taste of it was slightly off, and it did not quite provide the quick energy of live victims. Maria noted this herself and said, This blood would do in an emergency, Rachel. But, we cannot live drinking only this chilled blood. It has lost something by being stored, I believe. It is… ah, empty calories, yes? Filling but not nutritious!

Rachel nodded sadly, as she completely understood what Maria was saying and could feel the truth of it herself. I know, Maria. Thank you for letting me try this option, though!

There is no need to thank me, Rachel. I want us to survive and work together to find a safe haven where we can live in peace and have options. For instance, I think that having a supply of this blood on hand would be good for emergencies. It would sustain you for a time if there was not another choice available.

Rachel smiled, seeing that Maria was honestly making an effort to accommodate her morals and feelings.
Maria was silent for a time, and Rachel made her way back out of the hospital. As she reached the car and got in, Maria surprised her.

Rachel, things are so different now than when I was turned. Death was so common then that families had children almost yearly and could only hope that half of them grew up. Plague, war, wild animals, and yes even vampires, made life a short and brutal thing for most.

Rachel interrupted. But you were a noble, so your life and the lives of your peers wasn’t near as bad as it was for the peasant class?

Maria snorted. It was bad enough, Rachel! You have studied history but I lived it. Disease was rampant, even among the nobles. Teeth rotted out, hearts gave out, and food was scarce even at times for the wealthy. The peasant considered thirty to be old. We nobles, maybe age fifty at best, often. And always there was war. Why do you think I was happy to become a vampire, Rachel? So, if you and I are to do well in this century, I must adapt. You must, as well, Rachel.

What do you mean?

I mean that yes, I will adapt and we will not kill unless there is need. You must accept, however, that at times there will be such need.

Rachel smiled and nodded. Maria was working with her to the best of her ability, so could Rachel not do the same? I will adapt, Maria!

I am changing, Rachel, as you are too. I don’t sense this as a bad thing, though. Very strange, yes. But… not a bad thing, at all.

Rachel had no answer to that, but had a broad smile on her face, echoing both herself and Maria’s feelings, as they headed back to their hotel.
 


 

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Forever Knight

I remember that show! I liked it, and it was yet another show that actually did Vampires sorta right.

JennySugarLogo.png

Forever Knight came

close. The fight with the blood lust, and juggling to fit into modern life. It was pretty good. Sure as hell Vamps didn't sparkle!

Hugs
Grover

Maria is strange. She herself

Maria is strange. She herself is a ruthless killer, actually not minding to kill people for food when she doesn't need to, but goes out and whines about Hitler and Stalin. Both were pretty capable politicians/leaders. That doesn't mean you have to agree with their policies. She strikes me as rather hypocritical, really.

On one hand she is right, we just have different names for peasants and nobles. The general concept is the same... Rachel is right about the fact that it doesn't have very much to do with their capabilities though. If you're born rich you'll stay rich and if born poor you'll stay poor. Exceptions confirm the rule. Rachel is really naive about it, but I guess she's been raised to believe in the "american dream".

Great story, but Maria is grating on my nerves.
Thank you for writing,
beyogi

re: Maria being strange

Yes she is, and should be. She is from 1877 remember - she did not get to witness and blend in with the intervening years. And, at heart, she's really more of a 1700 kind of gal.

Rachel is indeed very naive, yes :)

Sorry if Maria gets on your nerves but that is part of her charm! :p

Thanks for commenting!

JennySugarLogo.png

Maria.

Now there is a very intelligent and adaptable woman. Though the same can be said for Rachel given the circumstances I would think. Culture these days must be quite a shock for Maria but she is working to learn as much as she can as quickly as she can absorb it. Rachel is experiencing her own culture shock in several ways that are obvious enough, and she is learning and assimilating things just as insistently.

I can see this story only getting more interesting as it goes.

Maggie

re: Maria

The best compliment I could ever hope for is all this discussion on Maria and her nature versus Rachel and her nature. I think my characterizations are often the best things that I do as a writer. Oh, I am not bragging and I know I have many flaws, LOL. But I am proud of these two, they seemed to come to life for me without any effort on my part.

I really hope I can hold your interest, Maggie, and others! I have the entire thing pretty much plotted out but there's lots of little details to fill in, and of course I have to let Maria have her say in each chapter or she gets grumpy!

JennySugarLogo.png

I'm going to...

Have to agree with Maggie and Beyogi on this one. This story is getting interesting and the debate between Rachel and Maria was interesting, to say the least. However, I suspect that something will be coming up in the next chapter or three that will serve as the major plot driver/device or as the primary antagonist for the moment. More than likely it would be one of the bodies is found but I could be wrong, who knows?

Either way, it's a great chapter and I'm looking forward to seeing where this little trip you're taking us on is going to go. ^_^

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Interesting

Thank you for commenting!

Well, you may very well be suspecting right. I feared things were moving too slowly but I'm having so much fun with Rachel and Maria that I've let them dawdle and argue and get to know one another. Maybe it wasn't a bad decision as people seem to be liking the journey just fine so far?

I will say that in the next chapter things do move forward a lot, compared to the pace we've been at so far!

JennySugarLogo.png

Change

Hello Jenny,

It is not really Maria versus Rachel, at least not anymore (at least for my taste).
At the beginning there was indeed a lot of opposition between Marian and Rachel. But more and more I get the impression they complement each other. And that in more than one way.
I like they way they get along. They way they are becoming friends. And even though Maria seems to be the stronger personality she is willing to give in, even on important matters. She deserves some respect for that.
Actually I start to like both of them very much.
I was on the road for work all week and was looking forward to this evening to read the next chapter. I was not disappointed. Thanks again Jenny!

Kind regards,

Karin Beyaert

Thanks!

Thank you so much, Karin!

Yes, they grew on me as well, and I will admit to not rushing the story so that I could enjoy their time together longer.

I had this plotted out from the start, but I've let them take their time and I am really enjoying writing this, as much as you are reading it, I hope :)

JennySugarLogo.png

Wow

Careful or you would make me think I am some kind of prodigy here :p

I did post my prose into a site that tells you what famous author(s) you most write like...

I've had 3 answers, depending on what sections I put in.

Stephen King
Anne Rice
Jack London

Good company to be in!

Thank you so much, Bailey!
Hugs!

JennySugarLogo.png