The Duchess of Arad, Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
duchess maria.jpg
The Duchess of Arad
Chapter 4

Fast times in Central Europe

by Jenny Sugar
Copyright © 2012 Jenny Sugar
All Rights Reserved.

Rachel arrived in Arad and the first order of business was a meal, of course. She began to think that her eternal life would mostly be spent sucking stranger’s necks.

Maria was not amused. Rachel it is a small price to pay for what we gain!

I admit that eternal life is nice, but-

No, Rachel! Eternal youth and beauty, not just life! You did not grow up and age as a woman so you have no idea how heartbreaking it is watching your beauty fade year after year!

You didn’t have to experience that, Maria.

No, but I have seen plenty of older women and we all know that we share their fate. Beyond that, our speed, strength, healing power, vision, and hearing are all improved. There is so much more than just living forever.

They chose a car thief that they caught breaking into a vehicle in a dark parking garage. Rachel steeled herself to watch yet another death but was surprised when Maria only took a few pints. It left the man unconscious, but alive.

Maria I am so proud of you for letting him live! Thank you, my friend!

It was nothing. I just need to practice not taking too much. I did it with my thralls when I fed on my favorites.

Rachel looked around the garage and decided that her rental car sucked and it was time to go car shopping for something more suitable for their travels. Richard’s rental car was small and was becoming quite crowded with the results of Maria’s shopping spree, so Rachel decided to return it to the rental agency and visit some dealerships.

After finding a dealer, she prowled through the rows of cars at the dealership, looking for something sporty yet practical. Practical began to win out over sporty when she considered all of the clothing, makeup, jewelry, and shoes Maria was collecting. The shoes alone would soon need their own trailer, if she didn’t slow down. That thought earned her an amused giggle from Maria.

Rachel ended up choosing a 2010 Dacia Duster, a nice SUV built by a Romanian car company that was now owned by Renault. It was roomy and had all-wheel drive, and of course she was able to get a fantastic price from the dealer once eye contact had been made. She convinced him to tint the windows to the maximum allowed by law in Europe.

I do not know if this ‘tinting’ will work, Rachel — but it was a good idea and we can test it!

I am hoping that with the tint, large sunglasses, and some heavy-duty sunblock we can travel in the day some, Maria. You’ve hinted that we don’t have to sleep that often?

No, just occasionally is good, Rachel. We appear to need some rest, but I have gone weeks without sleep and did not suffer many ill effects. During my captivity that is all that I did for the most part was sleep. Well, it was more like hibernation I suppose. I only awakened occasionally and… it was strange, Rachel. I still have faint memories of someone visiting me down there.

I don’t see how, Maria. The tunnel that I fell into had not been disturbed for centuries.
Rachel shared her memory of entering the hallway then falling and finding the door and opening it to find Maria.

Yes, you are correct. The entrance was not disturbed the entire time that I was there. Maybe I dreamed of visitors because I was lonely.

~o~O~o~

After the car was purchased, they spent the better part of the evening and night cruising around Arad, mostly so that Maria could visit some of her old haunts. She was unusually quiet and Rachel contented herself to just drive where directed and let her companion take in the sights.

She had Rachel stop at an old building and was silent for a time. What is that building, Maria?

That was the Clădirea Preparandiei, a training school. Teachers who taught the Romanian language were trained here. It was built in 1812.

I assume you visited it, perhaps as a student?

Maria laughed. No, no. I helped fund it, Rachel.

~o~O~o~

Rachel was driving along the highway towards Budapest when Maria made an odd request of her.

Rachel, would you let me drive? The car, I mean? It looks fun, and I have never done such a thing before!

Umm, well, okay if you wish. Do you need me to explain how it all works?

No, Rachel I have watched you. The right pedal makes it go faster and the left slows you down. The wheel makes you turn left or right. I can do this.

Rachel nodded and let Maria take control. The car wobbled a bit as she got the feel of how the steering wheel operated, but soon she was doing fine.

She allowed Maria to drive while she took in the sights, but soon began to worry when she noticed that the sights were flashing by at a very rapid rate.

Uh, Maria? You’re doing 170!

Is that bad? I love this driving, it is fun!

That’s like one hundred miles per hour! Slow down you will get us killed!

You forget how hard to kill we are, Rachel.

Maria if we wrecked I could get beheaded or burned alive.

Oh. I see, yes. How fast should I go then? And I watch this little stick and it points to our speed. How clever!

Keep it below 110, please?

You really are a killjoy, Rachel.


~o~O~o~

After a four hour drive, Rachel found herself in Budapest, Hungary. Thanks to the European Union and their open borders, there was no issue at all crossing into Hungary. The concept of open borders in the EU was a shock to Maria but she was pleased that it made things easier for them. Rachel and Maria both enjoyed touring the city and seeing all the sights.

Rachel had explained to Maria in more detail about passports, identification, and the troubles that it could cause for her if she did not have any.

Rachel and Maria, after some debate, decided to go with United States citizenship. Rachel knew the country well, and they both felt that it was their best eventual destination. Maria claimed that they would never want for anything, or need to worry about monetary matters, and Rachel understood this so didn’t worry much about that aspect of things.

Rachel looked for and soon found the United States Embassy and had wisely chosen an overcast rainy day to explore. Upon entering, very little effort got her to the Ambassador’s office. After mesmerizing the Ambassador she gave him orders to speak nothing but the truth and to help her in any way that he could.

“You can get me a valid US Passport, yes?”

The man smiled and answered. “Oh, yes we most certainly can, Ms. Harrison. We just have to fill out some paperwork and I have to attest to your Birth Certificate, then-“

“You have seen my Birth Certificate, and it was valid. Do you need a copy or can you do this without it?”

“Umm, there really needs to be a copy filed with your other info…” The man looked very doubtful and Rachel cursed to herself. “I am sorry, ma’am, but ever since 9-11 security requirements have been much more stringent.”

What is the matter, Rachel? What is this 9-11? Wait, ah I see. Terrible tragedy, to use these airplanes to do such a thing!

Rachel was frustrated. I am not sure what to do now! If I push him hard he might come up with something but I am worried that when we actually try to use it things will fall apart fast.

I have an idea on that, Rachel. Thank him and make him forget you and let us go.

Rather than continue on or chase paperwork, Maria surprised Rachel by asking about nightclubs, and if they could visit one.

I was never one to go to such places, Maria. I am sure Budapest would have a few, well more than a few. The Hungarians that I’ve known did like to party.

Good. I saw these nightclubs on the television and it looked fun! I used to dance often when I was younger. Also, perhaps they would be a good place to hunt. Let us find one and visit.

The music was a pounding nightclub beat and Rachel’s entire body throbbed with the bass line in each song. The smoke in the air was thick and heavy, and it seemed every man and woman in the place was smoking. Rachel waved at the smoke in annoyance. Maria probed her mind to see what was wrong and was soon laughing.

It harms them but it certainly cannot harm us, Rachel! I agree that it smells bad but just ignore it. We are here to have fun, and perhaps snack a bit, yes?

Rachel agreed and she moved through the mass of people dancing. She was looking for a corner to hide in. Richard was very shy and had never once been in a nightclub and avoided bars and other such places in his lifetime. Though she was now Rachel, and a very beautiful woman, she only wanted to park in a chair somewhere and watch.

Maria didn’t like that at all and asked Rachel if she could drive while in this club. Rachel quickly gave her assent and soon Maria was on the floor dancing with the people there. Maria was having the time of her life flailing about to the music and Rachel noted that Maria was copying the best female dancers and doing it perfectly.

She had attracted quite a following and soon had several men vying to buy her a drink. Rachel simply observed as Maria picked one and led him to a darker corner of the club and into a booth. Soon they were kissing and making out, and Rachel fought down her discomfort at actually kissing a man.

To Rachel’s horror, Maria asked her if they could take him back to the hotel and have some more intimate fun. Rachel’s response sent Maria into peals of laughter, but she agreed that they would not do that, now.

Before Rachel knew it, Maria had the man in a trance, drained about a pint, licked his wounds closed, and resumed kissing him. Rachel felt a certain smugness from Maria, as she showed her how it was done. The man was sent off to dance, with orders to eat something soon.

Maria that was… incredible! You stopped so easily — after barely a pint, while I could not!

I would not say that it was easy, Rachel, but then again I’ve had much experience at this. I wish to dance some more!

Filled with energy from her brief snack, she hopped up and rushed back to the dance floor, a grin on her face and feeling more alive than she ever had in her existence. Rachel, too, felt much the same way.

Rachel was wearing a Little Black Dress cut way too short in her own opinion, a bit too long in Maria’s. She’d been a bit shocked that a woman from the 17th century was not more reserved in her clothing style.

This only brought raucous laughter from Maria.

Maria was not choosy about her dance partners at all, dancing with men and women and being felt up by both genders on many occasions. This would bring a smile or a musical laugh and Maria would often return the grope. Rachel simply took it all in, knowing that she had a lot to learn about being a woman.

Maria danced the night away, feeding once more and again only taking a small amount and sending her prey away with a smile, no memory of what happened, and an urge to eat some food.

Rachel was beyond pleased with Maria’s new feeding habits and said so, also praising her for making their prey eat so as to help replenish the missing blood.

Maria’s response was warm and happy. I am doing well at this, Rachel! It is a new thing, yes, but it accomplishes what we wish in many ways. It soothes your conscience, it feeds us, and it attracts no attention! Win-win you would call it, yes?

Yes, I would! You know, Maria, you are always surprising me.

How so?

The dancing at the club, I would never have suspected that you’d be a dancer or that you’d adapt so quickly to modern music and dancing. There is so much more to you than I could have imagined when we first met.

I will take that as a compliment, Rachel. I loved to dance as a girl, and I never lost my love of it. And you must realize that most people have many facets, but even so, after I was turned I did many things and I always looked for new things to do and learn. I embraced change when I could. What about you? You acted as if we were entering a wolves den when we arrived but I think you had fun, as well?

Yes, I have to admit that I enjoyed myself, Maria!

Good, eventually I’d like to be with a man, again. You could let me drive and you could just watch if you wanted to. It has been so long, and I miss it.

Rachel told her that she’d consider it but she still felt revulsion at the idea. She was also beginning to see that Maria was not some one-dimensional horror-movie creature but was instead was a very complex and passionate woman, vampire or not.

~o~O~o~

As she came to her hotel room she started to unlock the door with the pass card when she sensed something strange. Maria did as well but thought it might be people in the next room. Rachel shrugged acceptance, swiped the card and opened the door.

“Muri vampir jegos!” The man cried as he rushed forward with his sharp stake. Rachel was stunned but that allowed Maria to take charge and she used her arm in a quick block to shove the stake to the side. Within a few seconds Rachel grasped what the man had said with shock: “Die filthy vampire!”

The hulking man snarled and backed away, stake back up and pointed at Rachel’s heart. Rachel felt her fangs descend and hiss at the man. Maria tried to make eye contact but he would have none of it. He rushed her again and this time Maria kicked him in the chest, sending him flying across the room into the sofa.

He hit and flipped over it to the other side, landing with a crash and destroying the table. Maria wasted no time and leaped over the sofa and onto him, trying to make eye contact. He would not look her in the eye and struggled to throw her off. To Rachel’s surprise he succeeded and was up with his stake coming for her once again.

“Cacat cu ochi!” Maria yelled at the man, and when Rachel worked that one out she was amazed that Maria would use such language. The man snarled and tried to run her through and got knocked across the room again for his trouble. “Shit with eyes,” Maria, really?

There was no response as the man was back at her again. Rachel did not for a second contemplate taking over, as Maria was doing a fine job fending off their attacker. He switched tactics and Rachel’s vision crossed momentarily as the thick stake smashed into the side of her head, knocking her a few feet across the room. Maria shook her head and caught the stake as it was being shoved at her chest.

The man howled “vampir curva!” which Rachel instantly picked up, “Vampire whore!” and tried to yank his stake back from Maria. She grinned at him, fangs still out, and would not release it. The man cocked his arm back and punched her in the face, knocking her back several feet and Rachel was seeing stars for just a moment. The man was incredibly strong.

Maria yelled “de ce?” but asking the man “What for?” got her no answer but another rush towards her with the stake. She flipped him back over the sofa, and this time when he stood up he had his original stake and a broken-off table leg to use as a second stake.

He stalked towards Maria and paused, looking for an opening. Once more he rushed forward with both stakes raised, one aimed for her heart and the table leg for her eyes.

Maria once again sent the man flying with a snarl, and Rachel could tell her anger was building up to rage-level. Oh, you have no idea, Rachel!

The man panted and stared at Rachel’s chest with pure hatred, not willing to look her in the eye. Maria growled and stalked forward, intent on ending things. The man circled her and looked as if he was waiting on an opening. They circled and watched for nearly a minute when with a roar the man swung the stake at Maria’s arm, knocking it aside.

He shoved her hard, knocking Maria back against the wall, then raised the stake and ran at her, intent to plunge it in her heart. She moved faster than he could see, and he ended up impaling the wall instead. She immediately kicked him across the room, but his stake came with him, still clutched in his hand. She ran after.

This ends, now.

Before he could raise the stake she leaped upon his body, reached in with her nails and ripped his throat. He coughed up blood, which she ignored. She spit in his face and backed away to watch him die.

Um, Maria? Shouldn’t we, you know, drink that blood?

She didn’t answer but her emotions told Rachel the intent. It was her version of a grave insult to let him bleed to death in front of her while refusing to drink.

She repeated her demand to know why he was attacking but he ignored her. He still would not allow eye contact and was soon beyond any contact.

Rachel walked over to the sofa and dropped down, exhausted. She’d have preferred to drink from their unknown attacker despite Maria’s wishes — the fight left her feeling weak and hungry. The irony of her wanting to feed while Maria refused to was not lost on Rachel, or apparently Maria, who snorted but didn’t say anything.

After resting for a time, Maria finally spoke to Rachel. I hope that you noticed that our friend here screamed “Die filthy vampire!” before we had even fully entered the room?

Yes, I did notice that. Very odd, isn’t it?

ODD? You have a gift for stating the obvious, Rachel! Tell me, how did he know you were a vampire?

Rachel was silent, trying to figure that one out.

Indeed, it is a puzzle, no? He was not in the nightclub. I would have noted and remembered a brute that size! I do not like puzzles that could end my existence - and yours as well.

Neither do I, Maria.

We had best leave tonight, Rachel. I do not like this, at all. Nobody should know what we are and yet this man came, recognized you as a vampire, and had a sharpened stake ready to attack. Search his body, let us see if there is anything to indicate his origin?

Rachel searched his body and found nothing whatsoever. Neither of them liked that, either.

Shall we head to Prague, then, Maria?

Yes, to Prague. How long to drive it?

About five hours, roughly, I’d say.

Let us leave, now. We are being hunted, Rachel.

~o~O~o~

They spent most of the drive to Prague debating about their hotel room visitor and how he could have known she was a vampire, where her room was, and also knew not to look her in the eyes. This troubled them both but they could not come up with a plausible explanation for what had happened.

Prague was much like Budapest, in that Maria wanted to see the city and they spent hours driving around, taking in all that there was to see.

Do you speak Czech, Maria?

No, I never learned it. But it will be fine, Rachel. Everyone seems to know English these days as their second language, yes? And I would guess that many of these Czechs know German, besides. We will do well.

You never visited here, did you?

No. During my time this was part of Hungary and I never travelled this far north.

They spent much time driving around Prague, looking for what Maria had in mind. Rachel let Maria question quite a few people after she put them under her spell, and soon they were pulling up to a modest-sized building, about five stories tall. They went in, leaving a trail of admirers and finally ended up with the local crime boss they’d hoped to find.

Maria addressed the man in German. “I need a passport and a European Driver’s License, as fast as you can get them. And they need to be real, not fake ones that are easily spotted.”

The man smiled at his new goddess on earth and nodded. “I will have these for you in twenty four hours, my Lady. We need to take a picture and write down some information.”

You see, Rachel? As you would say, a piece of cake.

You’re getting the hang of modern idioms, Maria!

I suppose that I am. But whatever does that MEAN?!

Rachel sighed.

As Rachel was walking along the street, the rain stopped but luckily the sun did not come out. She wasn’t overly worried as she had large sunglasses on, a scarf, and sunscreen. As she strolled along, looking at old buildings she was approached by a beggar. As she was about to brush him off Maria demanded that she give the beggar a coin, so she did. The man smiled his gratitude and scurried away.

Ok… why?

Rachel you have often considered me a monster but you need to realize that no one is pure evil or pure good. I always have given to those less fortunate than myself. I feel that it is my duty as a noble, a person of wealth, to help those who suffer and are in need.

He will probably spend it on booze or drugs, Maria. It was a waste.

You do not know that, Rachel! And even if he did, it brings him some small measure of happiness. That is a thing that is precious in this world. You have always felt morally superior to me — do not deny it! And yet you can be so callous and cold to people.

Next you will be telling me that you donated to orphanages!

I did.

Rachel decided to let Maria have the last word on this one.

~o~O~o~

They went back the next evening and soon Rachel sported a shiny new Driver’s License and a valid passport for one Rachel Maria Harrison. She was from Romania, of American parents. This would allow her free travel and help avoid sticky situations with the police.

Maria kept staring at the License once they went back to the hotel room, and expressed amazement that this license was needed to prove who you are to the world and that you were capable of driving a car.

Rachel was sleeping soundly when something caused her to awaken, becoming immediately alert. She sensed someone nearby in some fashion. She also heard the door lock click and the door was eased open slowly.

The room was pitch black, as it was 4 AM and she’d just gotten into bed a little while earlier. Maria had demanded to visit a nightclub in Prague and they’d danced, and fed, nearly all night. Rachel had enjoyed herself nearly as much as Maria, and had finally managed to take some blood without killing the man. He’d passed out from blood loss but Maria said that he would be fine after some rest and food. They had come back happy and ready to rest.

Luckily her night vision was excellent, and Rachel could see into the infrared spectrum quite easily now.
She saw four men slipping into the room as quietly as they could. To her their breathing was loud but she doubted that they knew that. They were all carrying extremely thick chains. Not a single stake was to be seen. Her first thought was ninjas.

Ninjas? Japanese martial artists? I think not, Rachel. Hmm, these men have chains. They mean to capture us! We need to question one, this time. Allow me?

Rachel gladly handed control of their body to Maria without hesitation. True, she was learning more and more, but this was best left to her experience.

Maria chose the man furthest on the left and gathered herself to leap when he reached her chosen spot. As soon as he had taken another quiet step she leaped and landed on the man and they both tumbled to the floor.

Rachel knew Maria was serious when she clawed his throat open and then leaped to the man closest. This one she forced back to the entrance and beat his head rapidly against the door till he was unconscious.

The two remaining men wasted no time and dived at her with their chains. On each chain was a manacle and they nearly managed to close on around her wrist before she took the chain away. She used it as a weapon and spun it in circles, snarling at the men.

“Why are you here? What do you want with me?” she yelled in English.

The lead man replied in English with a slight Russian accent. “We do not intend to kill you, Maria! Surrender and you will not be killed. This I promise you.”

Her answer was to wrap the chain around the man’s throat and jerk, hard. Rachel heard his neck snap. The final member of the quartet had switched tactics and was trying to sneak a manacle around her ankle. As a reward he got a boot heel in his face, kicked with so much force he flew backwards, blood pouring from his face. She leaped on him before he could move and was soon draining him, fast. Need energy.

Maria tossed the man aside and turned back to the man she’d left unconscious in the entry area. He was gone.
“Fute!”

Maria walked over to the bed and sat down, still cursing out loud.

Rachel timidly voiced her own thoughts to Maria. Maria, he knew your name!

Her response was dry, rather than angry. I had noticed that, yes, Rachel. Do all Americans go around stating the obvious all of the time? “The sky is blue, the water is wet!”

Rachel was not amused at all. Very funny, Maria. Ha ha. I’ll laugh if we make it another day without being staked or chained up. Did it also cross your mind that this bunch has found us twice now?

Of that, I am not so sure, Rachel. The first one only wanted us dead. This group wanted to capture us. Yes, both the first man and these men dressed identically… but I do wonder if they are the same group.

They sounded Russian.

Yes they did.

Is that good or bad?

With Russians it is probably bad.

What’s up with you and Russians, anyway?

Maria sent Rachel the memory of the Russian priests chaining her up under the castle.

Oh. Sorry.

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Uh oh.

Things are getting dangerous for Maria/Rachel now even if they are more entertaining for the readers. Someone or multiple someones is hunting them, tracking them quite efficiently, and knows who and what they are...

I'm liking Maria more with each chapter, too. Many faceted, very complex personality there.

Maggie

Uh oh

Yes things are heating up, aren't they?

There might be a delay in the next chapter, a lot depends on the dreaded real life and how much it interferes with writing time.

Thanks for commenting, as always, Maggie :)

JennySugarLogo.png

It almost looks like they

It almost looks like they bugged her. If I was Maria I'd get myself EMPed. Who knows, maybe they have somekind of tracking bug implanted under her skin or something. Or maybe it's magic, but I'd go with the technology angle.

Great story, thank you for writing, I can't wait for the next chapter,
Beyogi

bugged

Yes isn't it strange how they always are able to find our dynamic duo? Maria is supposed to be pretty smart, one wonders when she will turn her mind to figuring out how they are being tracked...

Thank you so much for the compliments and for commenting! :)

JennySugarLogo.png

A bug or a mystical one, more likely

I quote

>>
... only awakened occasionally and… it was strange, Rachel. I still have faint memories of someone visiting me down there.

I don’t see how, Maria. The tunnel that I fell into had not been disturbed for centuries. Rachel shared her memory of entering the hallway then falling and finding the door and opening it to find Maria.

Yes, you are correct. The entrance was not disturbed the entire time that I was there. Maybe I dreamed of visitors because I was lonely.
>>

The corridor and door Richard entered through were long abandoned but was there another way into the chamber or at least to get to a peephole to observe her? Thus her feelings that at times others where with her or near her. I don't think it was her imagination.

And still why did the more organized group want to imprison her again, NOT kill her.

Maria is impressing me as is Rachel.

Both are learning well.

But for now ridding themselves of how they are being tracked is job number one. Number two is learning why she was not killed? Did imprisoning her bring them power some how?

Mildly surprised Maria didn't cry on seeing her old kingdom.

Very interesting tale and as Maria says the Russians being involved is bad.

And Maria wanting to have a man as a woman again.. Good idea or bad one? As Rachel's transformation was not as Maria's I wonder AGAIN if she is a vampire/human hybrid and possibly fertile?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Mysterious mysteries

Lot of stuff going on there, John. Here's hoping Maria and Rachel put their heads together and figure out things soon, eh?

Maria has a Real Problem with Russians, doesn't she? It makes you wonder if it is an affectation, since she's smart enough not to hate on an entire country for a handful of priests, isn't she?

We shall have to see how Rachel deals with a lustful Maria, soon, I suppose, won't we?

JennySugarLogo.png

Rachel,

Maria seems to be the stronger of the two. It almost feels like she could dump Rachel and be fine.

Maria can access Rachel's knowledge at will.

Besides driving, what does Rachel add?

-- Sleethr

Rachel

...a modern viewpoint? Naivety? An interesting counterpoint to Maria's personality? Give poor Rachel a chance :)

JennySugarLogo.png

Rachel Marie's travels

I'm enjoying this very much, and a little delay is OK.
I had the same thought that John in Wauwatosa (sp?) had, that the Maria was being "visited" in her prison cell. Possibly a Russian vampire is trying to recapture Marie, and the attackers are thralls (I hape that's the right word).
Also, likewise, I'm enjoying the development of Marie into a complex character.
Kudos!

GinNC

hi Gin!

Chapter 5 was written same time as Chapter 4 but is not quite finished. I fuss and poke and tweak and mess with these chapters a lot before I finally post them. Not having an editor I obsess over the spelling and grammar quite a bit (but I know I miss things, anyway!)

If I do not get 5 posted tonight I should have it up tomorrow.

Thank you for commenting, I am glad that you like my story!

JennySugarLogo.png

Strange

Sadarsa's picture

I found it strange that they chained her up and let her rot basically. When he found her she was on the brink of death. So why chain her up if your just gonna watch her starve to death?

I also found it strange that the first attacker was strong enough to make a vampire complement him on his strength! (no way was this guy human)

Wasn't it also strange that one of the attackers whom she had rendered unconscious suddenly vanished undetected? (so much for superior hearing and ability to track prey)

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

re: Strange

Yes it would be strange if they just chained her up to rot. Why do that, indeed? Maria would say that they were just being Russians, perhaps?

Yeah we need to find out more about these Men In Black don't we? :)

JennySugarLogo.png

Now, I Am Wondering

If When They Attempted To Get their passport, if that Vampire Hunter was there and stalked them until he could attack.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What can I add? (so much has already been said)

I like the couple you created. And their adventures. And by having not so much time to read I can even enjoy them longer!
To me it seems there are two organizations after...eh...her...or them? And something tells me one is a very old one specialized in dealing with this special specimen. And there must be a very good reason not to kill her too. Ah...you got me hooked. I have to find out!

Karin