Somewhere Else Entirely -64-

Printer-friendly version

After a morning visiting wagonwright, saddler and guildhall the company return to their inn to read the mail which has accumulated for them. While they are there, two new members join the party, but are either to be trusted? Garia discovers a down side of the Call of Kalikan.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

64 - In Tranidor


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Boss."

"Yes." Moriskin lowered the parchment he was reading and looked at the door-keeper. "What is it this time?"

"There's a wagonmaster outside says you left a message for him to come here. Name's Jaxen."

"Oh, yeah, I remember." Moriskin frowned. That was a strange business. He put down the document and rose, heading for the shelf where he kept pending letters. "Well, what are you waiting for? Show him in."

The man licked his lips nervously. "Er, boss, he has children with him. A boy and two girls."

Moriskin started, then shrugged. These wagon folk were strange and had some odd customs. Perhaps he had a family who had to tag round with him. Nevertheless -

He noticed the door-keeper hadn't finished. "What?"

"Uh, there's eight armed men with them and they're all mounted."

"What the -"

Resigning himself to spending time on the interruption he stomped towards the door, gesturing the keeper to precede him. Outside the front of the building he found quite a crowd, mostly heavily armed men. The 'children' weren't quite what he had assumed, the young man and at least one of the girls were clearly old enough to be adults. Two of the men had dismounted and one approached him with a smile.

"I'm Jaxen, Senior Wagonmaster to Master Tanon of Palarand. I received a message at our inn that there was some business here for me."

"Well, yes, that's true enough. I'm Moriskin, the local guild representative." Moriskin frowned. "Guild rules, as you know, mean I cannot allow females inside our doors. Why are you..?" He waved an arm about, indicating the armed escort.

"Ah! Your pardon, guildsman, we have just come from visiting the local saddler and are on our way back to our lodgings. The guildhall was on our way, I thought I'd save time." Jaxen turned about, studying the vicinity. "If you object to our ladies entering your premises, perhaps we can make use of a room in yonder inn?"

Moriskin was beginning to feel a little confused. This man had no idea why he had been asked to come, yet he apparently insisted on taking these young women with him wherever he went?

"It's not that important. I have here a letter from the Guild Hall in Palarand asking me to assign two guildsmen to your party when you arrive. Can I ask when you'll be leaving? I can send the two to wherever you are staying now that I know you have arrived in Tranidor."

"One of our wagons had a failing bearing on the way so we are delayed until tomorrow," Jaxen said. "We'll probably be leaving immediately after breakfast." Jaxen scratched his head. "Two men? Does your letter give any details why we have been asked to take them with us?"

Moriskin shrugged. "No idea. For that matter, I have no idea where you are bound, or for how long. How shall I instruct them to pack?"

"Ah. I am on a special commission for Master Kethen's father, who is a Dekarran trader. We expect to be away perhaps four weeks but it may be longer. We'd certainly expect to be back here before winter sets in. We have wagons so they will not need pack animals, provided they can get their gear to our inn. We are presently in the Weaver's Arms. I can send some men for their gear if there is need."

Moriskin shook his head. "No, both reside in the town, they and their gear can find their own way as far as the Weaver's Arms. And I notice you carefully didn't mention exactly where it is you are bound."

Jaxen smiled at Moriskin. "No, I carefully didn't, guildsman. Do you object?"

"This is a commercial venture, then? Customary percentages to the Guild, and so on?"

"I would imagine so, yes." Jaxen turned to the other dismounted person, the young man, who nodded. "Yes, that appears to be satisfactory. We will provide food, bedding and shelter as required for your men and their beasts and a certain amount of spending money whenever it becomes necessary. We will of course pay the guild the usual daily fee for their hire."

The young man spoke then. "We do not know why we have been asked to take these two men with us, guild master, but if your instructions come from Palarand I can think of good reasons for it. May I ask, were these men named in your letter?"

"They were, young master."

"Then we may ask them to sign contracts before we return to Tranidor. Does this concern you?"

"It is a fairly common commercial practice, young master. Such contracts will have to be ratified by a Guildmaster before they become legal, though, so you must needs bring them to the guildhall on your return."

For some reason the younger of the two women grinned then.

"Then, if there is nothing more, our business here is finished," Jaxen said. "Send your men to the Weaver's Arms. I shall instruct the inn-keeper to put them up tonight, it will save time tomorrow morning."

He leaned forward and clasped arms with Moriskin, then turned. Moriskin watched the two men mount again, then watched as the party rode away along the street, the women carefully shielded by the armed men. Shaking his head he turned to enter the guildhall again.

"Boss? There's something funny about the way those people ride."

"What? Yes, you're right. Well that wagonmaster did say they had been to the saddler, didn't he?"

"As you say, boss."

"Send runners to find Bezan and Yarling, tell them to come here so I can speak to them."

"At once, guildmaster. Uh, guildmaster, Yarling's not going to like this, is he?"

"No, but he was named in that letter from Palarand, so he has to do what he's told. Get him here, we need to make sure he knows what we expect from him."

~o~O~o~

"That went better than I expected."

"You imagined something like what happened in Dekarran?"

"As you say, Kethen. Smart move, handling it like this, we didn't get too involved."

"I wonder what was in that letter? I'd like to know what surprises the Guild Hall are dropping on us."

"Perhaps the Guild Hall wrote us as well. Perhaps there may be something in that huge bag Jaxen has hanging from his frayen."

"He did have a lot of mail, didn't he? We'll find out when we get back to the inn."

They made their way back to the Weaver's Arms. Garia dismissed her men back to their lodgings and the rest went straight in because it was nearly lunch time. Jaxen arranged a night's lodging for the two extra men and engaged a downstairs room for the afternoon, because he expected that they would all spend it inspecting papers and writing letters to go back south. Before they sat down to lunch Jenet and Sukhana returned from a fruitful morning in the local market. Dropping their bundles of purchases in the room the four women shared they joined the others around the lunch table.

"What did you get, Sara?"

"Some more scarves, mistress. Some extra cloths for, uh, your Call. Sookie bought most that we brought back."

Sukhana said, "I bought some cloth, Buffy, for making one or maybe two of those skirts you ride in and some other cloth for making breeches."

"Don't forget the leather, Sookie."

"Oh, no, I won't forget that, especially at those prices! I have leather for the breeches, and I thought of using some of the offcuts to start making boot scabbards for our knives."

"That won't work," Jaxen objected. "You'd need fairly stiff leather for a scabbard and I'm sure our knives will be too long."

Sukhana waved a dismissive hand. "Details, brother. There are enough other odds and ends about I can manage. What have you all done this morning?"

"We went to the wagonwright when we left here, the axle will need to be replaced but he had one on hand. It will be ready for us tomorrow. The wheel with the cracked spoke is another matter. Picking the wheel apart, turning a new spoke and re-making the wheel will take all day. The smith will try and finish today but there are no promises."

"Can you use another wheel?" Garia asked. "Where I come from, it is customary for our vehicles to carry a spare wheel but that wouldn't be practical with a cart, would it? Do you have spares in the warehouse?"

"The wheels are all of a standard size," Jaxen mused. "We might borrow one off another wagon, if any were available. I expect ours to be ready when we need it, though, no need to worry." He gave Garia a sharp glance. "I could ask many, many questions about... vehicles... which all carry an extra wheel just in case one breaks, but I suspect I wouldn't understand the answers."

Garia smiled. "Yes, it wasn't a clever thing for me to say, was it?"

The inn-keeper interrupted to take their orders for food and drink. When he had departed Jaxen resumed.

"After leaving the wheelwright we went to the saddler, who was just as difficult as the mistress foretold. He saw no reason to clutter his mind with new designs of saddle," he grinned, "until I pointed out there were eleven frayen with just that type of saddle right outside his door, and likely to be more appearing from the south with every day that passed. He took the point immediately and, in fact, once he had tried climbing onto the young master's frayen, seemed to have had a change of mind."

"He will begin making saddles for us?" Sukhana asked.

"For you, you mean. Aye, that was my first request, of course. He used Sara's saddle for a pattern but what you might do if it doesn't fit I don't know. He'll send the saddle on the first wagon which goes in our direction so you might see it in a week if you are lucky. Ah! The food."

They busied themselves with their lunch for a while. When the inn-keeper came back to check that all was satisfactory he noticed their tableware.

"Master Jaxen, I see you have brought some of the new forks with you. Might I ask if you have any to spare? I am willing to pay a very good price."

"Regrettably not, friend. We have barely enough for one each and there so few even my men do not have any. Do not the local metalsmiths make them?"

"They are very busy, master. I have placed an order, but..." he raised his arms in a shrug. "I thought, maybe..."

"The problem, friend, is that everybody wants them. If I could find any down south and bring them up for you next time I came then I would, but there are none to be had. I only managed to get these few because I know the person who invented them."

"Oh. A pity, wagonmaster. I'll leave you to enjoy your meal, then."

The inn-keeper retreated and Jaxen looked at the expressions on his companion's faces.

"What? As it happens," he grinned, "I do know the person who invented these, do I not?"

"Not quite 'invented', perhaps, but near enough," Garia murmured.

Sukhana asked, "Did you go to the Guild Hall, brother? What did they want with us?"

"I'm not entirely certain, Sookie. The local guildmaster had a letter from headquarters which asked him to send two men with us. I have no idea why, perhaps there is a message for one of us in that mass of letters I collected."

"Two men?"

"Yes, they'll be joining the train. I've asked that they stay here tonight so that we can leave promptly in the morning. That will give us an opportunity to meet them in advance."

"Usual extortionate guild rates?"

"Come now, Sookie, be charitable. They have to make their loot somehow."

"I've a feeling," Garia said reflectively, "that any plans the guilds here might make have a very slim chance of happening the way they expect."

Keren smiled. "Aye! I particularly liked that 'ratified by a guildmaster' statement he made. I wonder if he believes everything he reads that comes from Palarand. If not he is in for a shock."

They all gathered in a private downstairs room and Jaxen upended the bag over the table, producing a cascade of letters and packages. He stared moodily at the pile.

"You'll have to excuse me, masters and mistresses, since I believe every single one of these is addressed to me. At least the covers are, so until I break the seals we'll have no idea who gets what."

"As you say, Jaxen," Keren said.

"Get on with it, brother," Sukhana said more bluntly. "I want to know who all these are from."

Jaxen began opening the covers, some of parchment and others of oiled canvas, cutting the yellow ribbon which bound each package with a knife. As he discarded the wrapper and read what was on the next layer he passed the contents to one of the others. Soon Keren, Garia and Jaxen had the largest piles but even Merizel and Jenet received some. A fuming Sukhana was the only person who had nothing. The others began opening and reading their own piles, Garia and Keren sorting theirs into date order to make sure that the contents made sense.

Jaxen's first letter came from Tanon and confirmed the addition of two men to their party.

"You'll probably find something in one of your letters explaining who these two are and why we apparently need them to come along," he said.

"Yes, I have it here," Garia said, holding up a letter. "This is from the Guild Hall in Palarand, from Guildmaster Hurdin. If I'm reading this right he thought it would be a good idea if we had a miner and a mason along. Now, I don't think these two actually dig ore or chisel stone blocks, they have other specialties. One of them is what I'd call a geologist, that is, someone who has made a study of different rocks and ground features. He also knows how to plan a mine out, as it were. Where to put the entrance, how to build access roads and what to do with the spoil, details like that. The other one is also a planner, but of buildings, roads and bridges. I think that Hurdin expects our journey to be successful if he is sending people like this along with us."

"They are putting a lot of faith in your description of the rock you seek," Jaxen said.

"Not really," she replied. "Remember, we asked for and were sent a wagon-load of coal just before the rains began. We know that it is really there, it's just a question of how much and how easy it will be to get out."

She put the letter down and turned to Keren.

"You know, I hadn't really thought through the implications of what we are going to do up there. Equally, somebody in the Guild Hall has, thank goodness. This could end up being huge. Keren, they're sending us a town planner. All my thoughts have been on what we intended to do with the coal, I never really considered just what will happen to Blackstone itself."

"As you say. I would keep silent about that part of the project for now, Garia. We cannot plan until we reach Blackstone and we may face considerable resistance."

"What about the questions?" Sukhana asked. "Those two men are sure to be curious about this journey. Shall you answer them?"

Jaxen shook his head. "We won't need to, Sookie. It's a commercial contract and they'll understand the need for secrecy, at least until we get out of Tranidor. After that -" he shrugged. "They'll be committed, whatever happens."

They continued reading the mail. Garia had one from Robanar and two from Terys. The Queen was obviously feeling lonesome with all the young people missing from the palace. Her letters were much like any that a mother would write to a traveling daughter. She was interrupted by a squeak from Merizel.

"What's up, Merry? Who's your letter from?"

Merizel was red-faced. "It's from Terinar," she said. "I, uh, I think I'd better leave this one to read later."

"Terinar," Sukhana said. "Is he that young man who brought Sara down to the bunkhouse at Dekarran?" The look on Merizel's face told her everything. "Ah, I see. It appears that Buffy is not the only person with a romantic problem, is she?"

"Don't, Sookie," pleaded Merizel. "This is difficult enough as it is. For both of us."

"As you say." Sukhana smiled. "I mean no harm, kid, to either of you."

Some of Keren's packages had enclosures and he piled them to one side as he read his letters. One he passed to Garia.

"This is for you, from father," he said. She unfolded it and discovered an ornately-scribed document with an enormous seal at the bottom. Keren explained, "It is an official copy of your right to the title of Baroness. Father thought it might be a good idea to have something with you to wave in people's faces should we have need."

She read through it briefly and added it to her own pile, picking out one of her own.

"I have this, also," she said. "It's a copy of my right to the title of Guildmistress, probably for similar reasons. What's the betting your father and Hurdin had a conversation?"

Keren grinned. "No bet at all. At least, if it comes to a fight and we run out of arrows we can hit them with all these weighty documents."

Garia found another letter that made her first chuckle, then giggle, then burst out laughing. She waved it at Keren.

"It's from Tarvan, bringing me up to date with developments on the electrical side. Do you know he now has a new assistant?"

"I quite believe he may have a new assistant, but why..?" he asked, mystified.

Merizel made the connection and burst out laughing.

"Milsy!"

"Exactly! Tarvan said they met in the palace by accident and she became interested in his descriptions of what he was doing. Apparently she can now run the steam engine for demonstrations on her own and understood electricity far quicker than he did. She's better at winding coils for motors, as well. I guess that's Milsy's future sorted out, once we get back to the palace."

Keren smiled. "That's good news, Garia. I had wondered what might become of our young actress."

"Tarvan says she is learning to read and has started doing the Tai Chi in the mornings with the palace guard, as he is now doing himself." Garia paused. "I hope those two aren't going to distract one another too much."

"I don't think so, Garia. They have a common interest, do they not? It will be something for them to explore together."

"Do you know, it never occurred to me what might happen when those two met, and they were bound to meet sooner or later." She giggled again. "Oh dear, I hope I'm not starting a trend."

Keren favored her with an old-fashioned look.

Sukhana asked, "Who are you talking about, Buffy?"

"Um, Milsy is the girl who went back to the palace with the royal party pretending to be me. Obviously, we found someone about my height and size although otherwise we don't look much alike. We cut her hair short and dressed her in my gowns so that from a distance onlookers would think it was me."

"She was a kitchen servant in the castle," Keren added. "She was just washing pots and peeling vegetables but it became plain once we came to know her that she is very bright. I wonder just how many other talented men and women there are hidden away in Palarand, just doing routine jobs or tending fields or animals? Our country is ill-served by the barriers we build round ourselves."

"I would stop right there if I were you," Garia cautioned. "You're touching a subject which might inflame passions in other company. It is something I ought to have explained in more detail at one of our council meetings but we've always had so much else to discuss. Trust me on this, Keren."

"As you wish, Garia." But Keren's face expressed puzzlement.

I don't know what to do about this. Along with the Industrial Revolution is probably going to come another revolution of a different sort. Problem is, if it follows the pattern of Earth then it could be unpleasant and bloody, something we just don't need right now. I don't want Palarand's monarchy to be butchered like the French or Russian ones were, I want them to understand what their people are likely to do and help engineer a new society that will be more balanced than this one is. There are constitutional monarchies on Earth and from what I remember most of those are stable and balanced. Palarand seems like the kind of place that idea might work in the future. For now, we just have to go with the flow.

A little later Keren held up another letter with an enclosure. "This one is from Uncle Gil. There's been no word concerning the search for those men, not that any expected there to be. This document," he made an odd smile, "I'll keep for later."

"Hmm? What's so special about that one?"

"Uncle Gil has given me temporary extra powers to handle any extreme problems that might arise. Essentially I'm acting as his agent while we're in the Bray valley. From what's happened so far I can't see the need for such a heavy hand but as always, it will be a useful thing to have if it becomes necessary."

"Oh, I see. As you say."

Sukhana said, "Sara, you do not read your letters?"

"Sookie, I cannot. I do not have the art."

Jaxen said, "Sister? Shall you not read Mistress Sara's letter to her?"

"Brother, I am little better than she. I can name the letters and barely write my name but reading is a struggle. I have not had the need to read and write as you have done."

"Then we must make sure that both of you can read by the time we return," Keren said. "It is clear to me from Garia's example that reading and writing will permit you to learn much more and you will be happier for it." He turned to Jaxen. "I would like the men to be able to read and write as well. One day all in Palarand will be taught to read and write at a young age, it will be a necessary skill for finding one's way in that which is to come. Us older folk," he smiled, "will be at a disadvantage if we do not keep up with them."

Jaxen nodded. "Most of the men are of a practical bent, as you may realize, but most will welcome the chance to broaden their knowledge. I will consider what needs to be done, master."

Garia stared at her last letter in dismay. "Oh, no!"

Everybody else stopped reading and looked at her.

"What's wrong, Garia?" Keren asked.

"This is from Master Gerdas," she explained, waving the paper. "Either his writing is terrible or his scribe is unwell but I think I understand what he is proposing. He's apparently been speaking with other astronomers, that is star-gazing Questors," she explained for the benefit of the others, "and they have all decided to change their method of describing and cataloging the night sky. They plan to use the three-hundred sixty degree circle and twenty-four hour system that Earth uses instead of the current system."

Keren thought briefly then nodded. "I understand, I think. But what's the problem?"

Garia sighed. "I tried so very hard to avoid this. I didn't want everything here to be just an imitation of what we do on Earth. Some of what we do isn't that good, you see. I'd kinda hoped that given a fresh start we might do something better here."

"Aye, I do see. You wanted to use the opportunity to benefit from Earth's mistakes. But, surely, whatever makes astronomy more efficient must be of benefit to us? It will only affect astronomers, won't it?"

"Sadly, no. One of the people they've been talking to is Master Parrel, because to use the new system they will need accurate clocks which measure the time in twenty-fourths of a day rather than twentieths. It seems Master Parrel did some math - using the 'Garian' numbers, naturally - and discovered that making a clock that way is actually easier than the old way. I'm sorry, everyone, but in a few years every clock in Alaesia will probably show twenty-four hours a day, not twenty bells."

Jaxen frowned. "Mistress, shall you explain to the rest of us? What will this mean?"

Garia put her letter down. "Jaxen, I'm going to have to give you some background. I think we have time before we have to go upstairs and change. It's like this..."

The afternoon passed. The letters were all examined and bundled, the covers and some unwanted mail being burnt in the fireplace. A serving girl brought pel and pastries, when she came to collect the empties there was a message.

"Master Jaxen? A man awaits you in the common room, if you please."

"Ah. The first of our men. Thank you, dear. If you would ask him to join us in here? We are expecting another, shall you also send him here when he arrives."

"As you wish, master."

The girl turned to go but Keren stopped her.

"Take these mugs and plates to the kitchen first, would you? Then bring the young man." He smiled at the girl. "That way we will have a moment or two to tidy up."

She curtseyed. "As you wish, master."

When the door closed Keren said, "What shall we do with this guildsman? Should we say anything about our project yet?"

"Leave it to me, master," Jaxen replied. "I may not have the experience that Master Tanon had in such matters but this will be a normal business arrangement and we do not have to say very much just yet. We just need to make him welcome."

"As you say."

The door opened and the guildsman entered. Garia estimated he might have been in his mid-twenties, shorter and more slender than Keren but that still allowed him to look fit and well-balanced. He had light brown hair with a slight hint of red. He closed the door and bowed, uncertain who was in charge.

"Greetings. I am told that one of you gentlemen is Jaxen? My name is Bezan, and I am from the Guild of Masons."

"That would be me. Will you join us, Master Bezan? Take a chair wherever you wish to sit."

"Thank you, sir."

Bezan took a chair between Jenet and Sukhana, since they had been sitting closest to the door. He frowned.

"Sir, I do not know what I do in this company. I understand that I was specifically requested to join you by Guildmaster Hurdin himself, if you can believe such a thing."

"Aye, I believe it. I can explain some of what we are about, Master Bezan, but I regret that certain details must wait until we have departed Tranidor." Bezan nodded. "I am a wagonmaster for the trader Master Tanon, who you may have heard of." Bezan nodded again. "I lead a train of four wagons on a special commission for... a party I may not name right now. As an agent of that party, we are led by Master Kethen here." Jaxen gestured. "As to your own task with our company, I cannot help you. When we left... from the south we had no idea that you and another would be asked to join us. It may be that your purpose will become clear in time."

Bezan nodded again. "As you say, Master Jaxen. I am not too troubled by the prospect. We go where we are needed. As a miner must go where the ore is, so a mason must go where building is required. Can you tell me anything now about the task we face? How long might I be away from Tranidor, for example."

"We do not know, Master Bezan. Perhaps four weeks, perhaps more. We would expect to be returned here before the winter begins, if that is a worry to you."

"Please, just Bezan, sir. I am not yet experienced enough to be called Master within my guild. Yes, my parents reside in Tranidor and neither are well. I do not grudge the fact that I must travel but I would wish to return when I may."

Jaxen smiled. "I'm sure there would be no difficulty there, Bezan. And I am no Master either, just Jaxen will do."

Bezan looked around the table, curious as to why there were four women seated around it.

"These women will be traveling with us," Jaxen explained. "I may not yet give you reason but the one to your left is my sister Sukhana and she is an experienced traveler with the caravans."

Bezan bowed briefly while sitting. "Mistress." His gaze became fixed on Garia. "Mistress, I feel I should know you."

Oh great. There had to be someone who recognized me, didn't there?

Keren leaned forward. "Bezan, it is important that you do not reveal to anyone what you may think you know about us. To anyone. To do so might put one or more of us in mortal danger."

Bezan looked surprised at the unwelcome implication.

"Master... Kethen, was it? The guild has taught me well to keep secrets. I shall not bare my thoughts to any person."

"Even your fellow guildsman, when he arrives?"

"If you so desire, master, then I shall not speak to any until you give me leave." He continued looking thoughtfully at Garia. "I will mention, however, that I have recently been at the Guild Hall in Palarand itself." He held up a hand to forestall Keren's comment. "If this party is who I believe it to be, then," he smiled, "I look forward eagerly to the enterprise!"

Busted! But fortunately by someone who appears to be on our side. On the surface, at least.

"Be very careful, Bezan," Garia said. "We do not know who we may trust." She smiled. "Pleased you can join our company. I am called Buffy, and this is my sister Karizma and our aunt Sara."

Bezan stood then and bowed properly. "As you say, mistress." But his tone indicated that he thought that they were aliases.

It began to darken since the afternoon was progressing so they decided to head for their rooms to make ready for the evening meal. Keren and Jaxen took Bezan with them as they went up to the men's dormitory. By unspoken consent all the documentation went with the women since it appeared that the room they shared would be more secure than the long open room the men shared. Jaxen was called by a servant just before the evening meal was ready with a message that the other guildsman had arrived. Two of the inn's manservants carried his chests up to the dormitory as the others gathered round the table they shared.

This man was older than Bezan. Garia put him in his mid thirties, with dark hair already receding at the front. Taller, with broad shoulders and deep-set eyes, she disliked him immediately. It appeared the feeling was mutual.

"Master Jaxen, I believe? I was told to come here and report to you. I understand you are taking a wagon train somewhere?"

"That's right. And you are..?"

"Your pardon. I'm Yarling, of the miner's guild." He scowled. "Can you tell me what this is about? I've been dragged off a job up the Sufen to join you."

"Please join our table, Yarling." Jaxen remembered Bezan's comments. "Or should we call you Master Yarling?"

"Aye, I'm entitled to it but there's no real point, is there? Yarling will do."

He sat down and looked expectantly at Jaxen, ignoring everyone else.

"It will be a commercial contract, I expect. I can't say more for a day or two because of that. We leave immediately after breakfast tomorrow morning. Around four weeks, maybe longer, we don't know yet. Let me introduce you to the rest of the company. I'm wagonmaster, as you know, but Master Kethen here represents those who hired us. This is my sister Sukhana, this is Karizma, her sister Buffy and their aunt Sara. Oh, and this is Bezan, who is also a guildsman. He joins us today as you do."

Yarling briefly nodded to the others then returned his gaze back to Jaxen. He stared at the wagonmaster for a moment then relented and sat back in his chair.

"Oh, what's the use? You're not to blame. This whole business smells of a screw-up in the guildhall to me. I just hope this job better be worth it, that's all."

"You'll be paid the standard contracted rates until we return to Tranidor," Jaxen said, but Yarling dismissed that with a wave.

"It's not the money, wagonmaster. It's doing half a job then getting pulled away before it is finished. I likes to finish what I started."

"As do we all, guildsman. I take it you are reluctant to leave your last job?"

"As you suggest, wagonmaster. There are two mines drifted into the hillside along the Sufen, my task was to join them and make better use of the shafts, thus increasing production. I was halfway through the project when this summons came, so aye, I resent what has happened. Now another must take charge and there will be delay while he understands the work to be done."

"You would rather return to your mineshafts?" Keren asked.

"I would, master, but I must obey the directions of my guild, as must all guildsmen." He flushed. "You must not think that I will prove less diligent in your own project, master. I am merely annoyed by the sudden uprooting."

"As would I be, guildsman."

Jaxen gave a wry smile. "If it helps, guildsman, I, too was pulled from another train to lead this caravan. I feel sure that you will not be disappointed by the work we may have for you."

Yarling seemed to take note of the women for the first time.

"So many women in the company? This is unusual."

"My sister is employed from time to time by Master Tanon. These others are merely traveling in the same direction as we so are passengers, although they also have a stake in what we propose to do."

Yarling inspected each woman, giving Garia a hard stare but saying nothing.

The food was served and they set about the business of eating. When most of them produced forks Bezan smiled, dug into his pouch and pulled out a fork of his own.

"I see you also have souvenirs from Palarand," he said.

Yarling looked at the strange metal implements. "I have heard of these things," he said, "this is the first time I have seen them, though. How are they used?"

"You'll just have to watch us eat, I'm afraid," Keren told him. "I regret we have no spares or I would offer you one. It seems that every person in Palarand wishes to own a fork these days."

"They look simple enough," Yarling said. "I do not think, however, that I shall have time to have one made before we depart." He shrugged and picked up his own spoon and knife. "Perhaps somewhere along the way."

The meal progressed to a conclusion and the diners sat back with goblet and tankard while the servants cleared the rest away. Talk was light because the existing members of the company didn't want to give anything away so found it difficult to think of safe subjects while the two guildsmen had as yet little in common with the others to hold a meaningful conversation.

The inn-keeper came by to ask if all was well.

"I heard word, Master Jaxen," he added, "that you planned to travel by Blackstone this time. I think you should take care around those parts, the locals are said to be very odd, as people in remote areas often are. Why it is even said they are so stupid that they burn rocks to keep themselves warm each winter!"

Jaxen smiled. "I'm sure we'll take the care we usually do, inn-keeper. I thank you for your warning, though."

When that worthy had moved off Yarling leaned forward, his face angry. "Blackstone? Is that where we are going? I've been up there, there is nothing! " He leaned back, crossing his arms in displeasure. "This entire business is a complete screw-up! I shall make my displeasure known at the earliest opportunity! What a complete waste of a month of my time!"

Jaxen became serious. "Shame on you, guildsman! Did you really think we would go somewhere where it is known that there are no ores? This is merely misdirection to conceal our true destination."

And what a beautiful statement that was, mused Garia.

Yarling looked contrite. Briefly.

"Wagonmaster, I must apologize. You know your job as I know my own. I should immediately have understood that you would dangle false bait for those who might wish to take advantage of you."

The presence of Yarling had soured the mood somewhat so any thought of staying in the common room soon faded. By now, the place was beginning to fill up in any case, with various groups appearing to buy food or, more often, drink. Jaxen twitched his head and they all rose, Bezan saying to Yarling that he would help him get settled for the night.

The group made their way to the rear door and reached it just as another group came in from the courtyard. This was a group of men about Bezan's age, dressed in rough work clothes and obviously in need of a drink... and more. One of them leaned forward and grabbed Garia's arm.

"Hey, sweetie! Come and sit with me and we'll have some fun!"

Some of his companions had realized she was with a fairly large group and tried to restrain the man but he persisted. Garia found that she couldn't easily shake his grip on her arm. Full of food and drink, and with Kalikan beginning to make itself felt on her breasts and stomach, she didn't want to use her abilities if she could avoid it.

So she twisted in his grip and hacked his shin with her boot.

"Ow!"

The man let go and reached down with a hand. Garia stepped back just as Keren stepped forward. Their eyes met and she shook her head, indicating that they should try and keep things calm.

"You tore my hose!" the man complained. Then, as he brought his hand up, he discovered it was wet. "Hey! There's blood on my hand! I'm bleeding!"

Sukhana stepped in front of him and put her hands on her hips.

"Serves you right, idiot! You don't go messing with traveling women if you know what's good for you." She smiled nastily at him. "Especially one who's wearing boots with steel toecaps!"

Everybody's eyes went down but of course the metal was hidden beneath the knitted covering and not easy to see in the poor light. The man's lips thinned with anger and he stamped down on Garia's boot, only to have his foot bounce off it. Sukhana slapped him.

"And that is for calling me a liar!"

"What's going on here?" The inn-keeper bustled up, a towel in his hands.

"This oaf tried to molest us as we were leaving," Sukhana said. "He got a kick on the shins and a slap for his troubles. Is there a problem?"

"Not at all, mistress. You, you're all banned from the inn. Go and get your belongings and find somewhere else to stay. These are respectable people and I won't have have this house turned into a fighting-pit. Now be off with you."

The group turned and went out the door again, voices beginning to be raised as they rounded on the man who Garia had kicked. The inn-keeper turned to Jaxen.

"I apologize for that, Master Jaxen. We normally run a quiet establishment but I can't check every single person who asks for lodging."

"No harm done," Jaxen said. "Fortunately, we can mostly look after ourselves but we do try to steer clear of trouble when we can. Here, you're going to lose custom by this, perhaps this might help."

Jaxen fished out some coins and dropped them into the inn-keeper's hand.

"Why, thank you, sir! And good-evening to you!"

They went out into the courtyard and stood, uncertain. The men didn't want to climb to the dormitory while the other group were still around and the women didn't want to leave them there. Finally they split into small groups, scattered along the darkened cloister which ran round the courtyard. Keren stood with Garia, with Jenet and Merizel just near enough to provide modesty.

"Oh, Keren!" she muttered in a low voice. Abandoning all pretense, she wrapped her arms around his waist and placed her head on his chest. "That was awful."

"A good idea, to keep our skills concealed," he said. "Are you injured?"

"I'll probably have a bruise on my arm," she replied. "Oh, it's the Call, everything is so much more sensitive and I've just eaten. I didn't know what to do."

"That's all right," he said, gathering her in. "That's what we men are here for, isn't it? To look after the women when they can't defend themselves."

"It's just so... horrible, not being able to do anything. I've always been able to look after myself, and now this..."

"Don't worry now, it's over. Tomorrow, we will be on the road again... I've been meaning to ask, will you ride, seeing as how Kalikan..?"

"I don't think it makes much difference, Keren. Whether I sit on a saddle, ride on a wagon or just walk alongside the same thing is going to happen inside my body. I might just as well sit on a frayen as anything else - and it stops Snep feeling miserable as well." She looked up at his face. "Thank you for being concerned. I never understood what happened to girls when - this - happened to them. I have to keep reminding myself that it is all perfectly natural."

"As you say." He decided to try and take her mind off the subject. "What do you think about Yarling? Is he going to be trouble?"

"How should I know? He's annoyed at being dragged away from whatever he was doing but whether there's something else going on I don't know. I'm not old enough to have that kind of experience of men and I don't think you are either. Let's wait until we get on the road. The men will soon sniff out any bad fruit. And, for what it's worth, we should keep an eye on the other one, Bezan, as well. Just because he seems helpful now is no guarantee he's not going to be unhelpful in the future."

"Aye." He frowned, although she couldn't make it out in the gloom. "You're becoming quite cautious, aren't you? What happened to the adventurer?"

"Oh, she's still there. I can't wait to get out on the road either. It's just that we're starting to pick up some unknown faces and we can't trust them yet. First it was the two wagoneers, now it's these two guildsmen."

There was a clatter from the stairs and Keren drew her back into the darker shadows, turning her so that his body hid her from sight. The men came down with their bags, closely followed by a manservant who had made sure they hadn't stolen anything from other lodgers. The group apparently never noticed those who were standing around in the shadows. They went out the carriage entrance to the street, still arguing about whose fault it was and now they had to look for somewhere else to lodge. With a sigh Keren released Garia.

"There. Perhaps we should retire now. I expect tomorrow will be a long day."

"Yes. And we're nearly there. Will our problems end once we arrive, or will they start?"

He shrugged. "Who knows? Sleep well, Garia."

"Good night, Keren."

up
383 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somewhere Else Entirely -64-

Oh, wow. That particular revolution had escaped my notice too. I think I was too caught up in the ongoing drama to see the implications. Of course, the changes are not necessarily inimical to the monarchy but the further down the ladder of power one goes, the more likely total disruption will occur as affluence and education increase at the bottom levels of the society. Of course, the violent and bloody revolutions seen on Earth need not necessarily occur, especially given the apparently enlightened leaders currently in place the the fore/aside knowledge Garia brings to the table.

I await the next chapter with bated breath. Whether it's yet more trouble along the road or arrival in Blacksone, it should be exciting.

Uncouth men or kidnap attempt?

We don't know how closely or if they are being followed do we? In her weakened state, Garia will not be that effective in defending herself. Hopefully her weakness will pass before the real action starts.

This is artfully crafted and I love the story.

Gwendolyn

Conversion from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional one ...

Such a conversion is rarely achieved without bloodshed at some juncture. Even the Scandinavian Monarchies had some minor civil disorder but their relatively peaceful transitions were enable by the generally egalitarian mind-set of scandinavians in general. Driven paradoxically by the ancient militaristic nature of the 'viking' and 'dane-law' perspectives. Consequently when new ideas of equality developed, scandinavians were more ready to accept them.

Such was not the case in Britain where successive violent but not wholly destructive evolutions occurred as each 'class' slowly accrued rights to themselves.
The barons and Magnacarta, The English Civil War, the various civil commotions of the 19th century culminating eventually with universal franchise in the early 20th century.

Compared with the horrendous brutalites of the French and Russian revolutions, the outcome of the English civil war was relatively pacific. Only the King was beheaded by full due process of law for treason and his wife and children were simply exiled ... to be invited to return when Cromwell died albiet with considerably reduced powers.

The effects of the English Civil war were not nearly so traumatic to the English social fabric of the country as the American civil war was to Americ some two hundred years later. The main differences being because of technological advances that caused so much structural damage to the confederacy.

Looking back over World History, I can only hope that Garia has some knowledge of British history because by and large the changes in Britain were achieved more by 'evolution' than 'revolution'. British history has plenty of excellent lessons to learn from.

American history is somewhat more restricted as a means of instruction because by and large the early stages like vassalage,feudal enslavement and serfdom, were never present in American society so the early steps to constitutional rule were missing from America's formation except by translation from british history. The best illustration of my example is when American Scholars found themselves referring to 'Magana Carta' when they debated the impeachment of Richard Nixon.

Garia won't go far wrong if she employs the early arguments of the Medievil English and the later arguments of the French revolutionaries and the American founding fathers.

Having said all this, I sincerely hope that Garia (Gary) listened to the history teachers when she was studying as a young man in Kansas.

Sadly, the cynic in me keeps repeating that well known adage.

The only lesson we learn from history is that nobody ever learns the lessons of history!!!!

Garia's going to have her work cut out so let's hope she starts by setting a good example as the Duchess or Countess of Blackstone.

Ah well; enough of acedemia and philosophy. I'm going clubbing and letting my hair down like the tart that I am.

Pulse Nov 3 Me and Sandra_0.jpg

Good chapter Penny.

Thanks!!

XXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

History in U.S. Schools

While I am conciderably older than Garia what our schools teach in history classes has not really changed all that much (other than the fact that stuff that happened when I was in school is NOW in the history classes :) ). By and large, when we were not learning U.S. history we were learning European history with very little dealing with Africa and Asia. The events of what took place in the British isles had a heavy presence in our lessions with the next level of precidence being the rest of Northern (Scandinavia, Germantic and Frankish) Europe. Spain was also important because of that Empire's affects on this continent.

As a bookworm, I suspect that Gary retained quite a bit of his history lessons from school. It is something that seems to be common with other fellow bookworms I have run across. When I was in school I would actually read my history books if I had nothing better to read just so I could be reading something. I have also been known to read, not look up stuff but read dictionaries.

Gazetteer

For those interested, the Gazetteer has been updated with the newest information. I had also noted a glaring ommission on my part. I did not have Milsy anywhere so I have temporarily added her to the Royal Family. I imagine that she will later be moved to the Palarand Institute of Engineers (R.P.I.E.) when she is no longer needed as Garia's double.

Burning rocks

Tee hee hee! It seems as though the locals have discovered that "black stone" isn't worthless but actually has a practical use. I think there may be one or two faces of mild amusement that the Powers That Beâ„¢ have finally realised the value of their local rock... :)

As for societal evolution, Garia's already made a good start by open sourcing new technological developments, so control of new technology is in the hands of the population at large rather than a few wealthy individuals. By keeping taxes fair and genuinely improving the living conditions of the population-at-large, they should hopefully carry the majority of society with them. Improvements in education and training plus the expansion of opportunities must be sold as directly benefiting employers. The important thing is to get across the message that it's all about aptitude - some people aren't especially academically talented but be excellent at folding sheet or producing perfectly pressed garments; some of those may ahve the aptitude to take on a more supervisory role later in life. Letting the population think that anyone could be the local equivalent of a PhD and be the local equivalent of a millionaire is not a good idea, as those that can't achieve that goal will be disappointed and those in more lowly roles depressed - it could even result in the philosophy that those in lowly roles are only there because they're lazy good-for-nothings who can't be bothered to apply themselves to study (which sadly is becoming an increasingly prevalent school of modern political thought).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Too true Ben.

Sadly you are right Ben there is a school of thought becoming prevalent in believing everybody can achieve academic sucess. This is nothing more than political correctness for it is patently obvious that some people simply are not and never will be academic.

Bev!

bev_1.jpg

Great chapter as always, I

Great chapter as always, I think Garia and Keren need to gather several people and teach them to become teachers to young children around the capital, the sooner the kids regardless of origin begin to learn the better, maybe have something for teens too, the university is great but those attending really need a grounding in reading and writing.

I'm looking forward to how Garia will try to avoid the pitfalls of whats to come.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Fairness

joannebarbarella's picture

That's the problem in making over a society. A fair day's pay for a fair day's work. A say in the changes in the way things are run. No taxation without representation. The absence of these sow the seeds of revolution. Not to mention little things like education and clean drinking water and a decent food supply and an honest police force.

Garia cannot possibly introduce all these concepts on her own. It's the ruling classes that have to realise that they must give up some of their privileges if they are to survive. The British barely made it; the French,the Russians,the Italians,the Spanish and the Austro-Hungarians, amongst others, did not. Many countries have still not even started.

Palarand has an enlightened monarchy but also has its share of reactionary nobles. It badly needs a representative chamber of some kind. Perhaps the introduction of this will be Keren's claim to greatness, with a little help from the woman who will be his Queen.

This is a great book and will end up being longer than War And Peace (and a sight more readable),

Joanne

As usual the problem will be what form such representation

.... will take. There will always be groups who try to impose their vision of what principles their society will run on and be damned with the minority view, much like the right wing extremists would have tried to do if the recent US election had gone the other way. A balanced governance will forever be beyond reach if society is not given the time and true facts to render a considered judgement. The grid lock in US governance proves that no matter how well meaning a governing body may be it sometimes would be great if there are other means to cut that Gordian knot and move our lives forward in a timely fashion.

Point is, there are times where a system driven solely by vox populi makes sense and sometimes a single visionary view makes sense to move society forward by the scruff of their neck. The Civil Rights legislation in the 60s come to mind as it is unlikely that those measures would have passed if it was a ballot measure.

I doubt Palarand will have any better luck then here on earth on this score.

Kim

As usual it is worth the wait

I had a long comment but accidentally backspace the page back and lost it.

Thank you Penny

Kim

Quickie

terrynaut's picture

Just a quick comment before I'm off to work....

I enjoyed this chapter. Not much action but at least Snep was mentioned. He won't be neglected. Yay!

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

In Tranidor shows Garia and

In Tranidor shows Garia and company at their best. Getting prepared for departure with Garia giving them the idea of a spare wheel & other parts as well as her worry about keeping the government stable against all of the changes shows her companion. But the teaching that clod was a humorous addition that was fun to read.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Interesting

They are probably riding in the direction of trouble.
Excellent post as always.

Three Questions

What is the King doing adding all these extra people to this supposedly top secret expedition?

Jaxen's group has been going more or less in a straight line, more or less as fast as anyone carrying cargo can go (in this society). How is it possible that people can get all the way back to Palarand city, then write a bunch of letters, and still have them all arrive before Jaxen?

When we last heard about Garia's reading skills, she had just learned how to read dates. When did she have time to become a fluent reader?

Three answers

Firstly, I imagine that it was the Guildsmen who decided that it would be worth adding some knowledge and experience to the party, not the King. Someone down in the Guildhall would have figured out what was about to happen to Blackstone and thought to assign some experts. You'll notice that the people chosen were already in Tranidor, which means they wouldn't have any opportunity to reveal to people along the way what they were about to do.

Second, many of those letters would have been written blind as the party rode northward. Remember, in those days it took time for mail to travel so an immediate reply was not expected for most letters. I will also add that the Valley Messenger Service (aka 'Frayen Express') would move letters much faster than a wagon train could. (The VMS is explained in a later chapter.)

Lastly, Garia has had all of the two months of the Rains and more to learn to read and write the local tongue. Her reading started the day they began to investigate Morlan's study. As someone who already can read and write, her task would be about the same as that of someone, say, learning Russian or Arabic. A chore but not impossible, especially when she is immersed in the culture.

Penny

Closer

They are just getting closer and closer together.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I would really like to know...

Aine Sabine's picture

Why Gabia had a problem with the time situation. I can see there will somehow have to be either more minutes to an hour or a comp hour. But I don't necessarily see a down side except having to make an adjustment for new time. Just curious as to her answer.

Wil

Aine

Being on guard

Jamie Lee's picture

After three failed attempts to take Garia, and one death, they are wise to be cautious of any new people joining the train.

Milsy seems to be on her way to becoming a member of the guild in the future, more so since her grasp of electricity is better than Tarvan. And who knows, she may come up with an idea not yet thought of before.

The lout who grabbed Garia may have discovered the value of steel toed boots, since his stomp didn't hurt anything but his own foor. He also learned how useful they are to ward off morons.

Others have feelings too.

When you're being stalked

Extreme caution is a necessity if you wish to survive! And I do think that Garia can assume that those who are pursuing her are still out there looking to eliminate or capture her.