Somewhere Else Entirely -67-

Printer-friendly version

It seems that Garia and Keren are only just beginning to understand what Trogan and his men have done to Blackstone. Jaxen joins them that evening to bring disturbing news. As the full nature of the plot becomes clear plans must be changed, causing a search of the town the following morning.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

67 - Scouring the Town


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2012 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



When the four women returned to their room after bathing there was an intense discussion about what to wear that evening.

"Milady," Merizel said, "Perhaps it would not be wise to appear in clothes that are too fine this time. I understand what you wish for tomorrow but this evening," she reddened, "I would not want to draw attention to Mistress Sukhana's lack of fine clothing compared to ourselves."

Sukhana glanced at Merizel, reddening herself. Garia stepped in.

"You're right, Merry. It's going to be tricky working with these people, isn't it? They all have to know that I am Baroness and therefore in charge here but I don't think that's any reason to go rubbing their noses in the fact we have much better clothes than they do. Uh, of course, Sookie doesn't have such clothes because she is a traveler."

Garia stopped because she realized that she might end up insulting Sukhana if she continued.

Jenet offered, "Milady, if you are their liege then those under you would expect you to own and wear finer clothes. Indeed, they may wonder should you not. Were we in Palarand then this situation would not arise since all know their own place and what is appropriate to wear at any occasion. Folks such as those who met us today might not understand such fine distinctions."

Sukhana said humbly, "Aye, milady. Folk such as these will have little experience of life even in towns such as Tranidor. These are rural people, isolated from much that happens elsewhere. For myself, I do not see a contradiction that you shall wear fine clothes and I shall not. I might buy better gowns in the markets we have recently visited but in truth I have little need for such garments."

"And space in your chests is at a premium," Garia nodded. "I understand. But tonight I want us to just be travelers staying at an inn, like we have done other times, I think. If we go downstairs..." laden for bear, "...dressed too well it might make people fear us and that isn't such a good idea right now, is it? One of the things Kendar told me that I have to make the right impression on my people and I don't want to seem too isolated from them. I want them to be able to come and ask me anything without fear of being ignored or thought stupid." She thought. "I also don't want to be seen as a young woman with little idea of what to do in these circumstances which is why I wanted to make a big impression tomorrow."

"We understand that, Garia," Merizel said. "My thought was more to ensure that Mistress Sukhana didn't feel out of place tonight."

"I'm no mistress no more, Merizel," Sukhana protested. "That little pretense ended the moment we rolled into town."

Garia smiled. "I'm sure that you are wrong, Sookie. The Prince said he was upgrading you and Jenet while we traveled and temporarily downgrading myself and Merry. He was quite specific about that. I bet you'll find that your status is that of Freewoman from now on, and the Prince can make it stick if anyone can."

Sukhana stared at Garia with shock. "You would not make a joke, milady?"

Garia grinned now. "Me? Joke? Not this time, mistress."

Jenet looked pale. "And myself, milady? Does this also apply to me?"

Garia spun to Jenet and hugged her. "Yes! Jenet, indeed it does! It is good that we get to hand out rewards occasionally and I'll be quite pleased to agree to this one."

Jenet's eyes glistened. "Milady, I don't know what to say."

"When you think what we've all done these last few weeks I'd say you thoroughly deserved it, Jenet."

Merizel said, "Congratulations, Sookie and Jenet. But we still have to decide what to wear and soon. I can smell the scent of rich cooking rising the stair. If we do not dress, it will be all gone!"

"As you say, Merry. Clean traveler gowns, I think. Let's get dressed!"

When they reached the foot of the staircase they found Keren and Brazan talking, waiting for them to appear.

"Ah!" Keren said with a smile. "I began to wonder... if I would miss my meal!"

Garia's expression was serious. "It's all right for you, you just have to throw something on! We had to consider the effect on the townspeople of whatever we chose to wear."

Keren sobered. "As did I, Garia."

They noticed that he, too was wearing traveler clothing, although in his case he had added the thin gold headband indicating his status as a Prince of the realm.

"You were right," he continued, "when you suggested we do things properly tomorrow but tonight is slightly different. I didn't want our hosts to -" He stopped at their smiles. "What?"

"That's exactly what we were trying to decide," Garia said. "See? Great minds think alike."

Keren grinned. "As you say. Interesting saying, if I may say so. From Earth?"

"Indeed, Keren. Now, perhaps we ought to get at that food."

"Milady," Brazan said. "A word before you enter. Since the stables here are clean and empty Mistress Yanda suggested we bring your beasts down and we have done so. Also, we were told that there is room for ourselves and the guildsmen also, so we have moved our gear in as well. Is this acceptable?"

"Why yes, of course!" She frowned. "I don't know how long we'll be staying here but until we find somewhere else to go it makes sense for all of you to stay here as well." She nodded. "Good. I'll look in on the frayen once we have finished eating."

"As you wish, milady."

Inside the common room she found the two guildsmen seated at a long table behind which Frando and Toranar were standing, watching the activity in the room. The last of her armsmen, D'Kenik, was standing by the door into the common room from the street. All three saluted when Garia entered. The party walked over and sat at the table with the guildsmen, followed closely by Yanda who asked them what they wished to eat and drink.

"Highness," she said before she left to organize their food, "we are grateful for the extra provisions which you have supplied. To suddenly have eleven guests appear without warning can be a strain to an out-of-the-way inn as this is. I can assure you that we will have no difficulty providing meals after tonight."

Keren gave her a smile. "It made sense, mistress. The food was there, we would otherwise have eaten it. We did not know what we would find when we arrived here so we came supplied." He grimaced. "We did not expect to be threatened but that is another matter. Your husband and daughter, they are now recovering?"

"Thank you, Highness, they are. I think my husband wishes to speak with you after you have eaten, if that is acceptable." Her face changed. "Kasinna was used by those men, Highness, as was Brydas's daughter Senidet. A lack of food may be remedied but... your pardon, Highness." Yanda turned and ran out of the room, her hands wiping her eyes.

Keren glowered after the retreating figure. "Does she speak truly? I will execute them myself!"

Garia reached a hand to Keren's arm. Her face was pale. "We don't know the whole facts yet but we know those men to be evil, Keren. With young girls in their power why wouldn't they do such things? Leave it for now, please. Let's have our meal in some kind of more pleasant mood. Those men have what's coming to them and I want to do this properly in front of the whole town."

The other women looked pale as well. Keren realized that for them the girls' ordeal had a more personal significance. His face was grim as he nodded.

"As you say, Garia. Let us speak of more pleasant matters."

The meal was difficult because none of them could forget what had so recently happened and what might happen in future days. Smalltalk didn't get very far and the only interesting moment came when the serving girl asked about the forks most of them were using. The mood extended to the other people in the common room, who talked among themselves in low voices but kept well away from the Prince's table, casting glances every now and then at the armsmen posted at the doors.

Just as they were finishing Jaxen entered, saw them and walked over. He found a seat and sat down, scratching his chin.

"Highness, Ladies, Mistresses. I find myself with an unexpected problem. While I was unloading the wagons as we made camp I remembered the messenger bags we were given at that way station. It seems that there is no-one to deliver them to."

"There's a messenger office in the street, Jaxen," Keren objected. "I remember passing it as we came in."

"True, Highness, but it is deserted. I discovered the reason as I walked down to the inn, as it happens. I had a word with the smith as I passed his forge. One of the men who was imprisoned, one of those too ill to walk, was the messenger agent for the town. He will not be able to perform his office ever again, I think. So, what do I do with the mail I brought?"

Keren frowned. "I have no idea, Jaxen. I'm not familiar with the exact rules of the service, especially in this respect. What about yourself? You said you had a letter of authority, is that good enough to permit you to serve as a temporary agent?"

Jaxen scratched his chin again. "I'll have to read it, Highness, to find out. I don't think so."

"Then," Keren said as he swung to Garia, "it looks like you'll have to give them to Garia, as this is her domain. She'll have to appoint someone, probably Merizel, to deal with the mail as a temporary agent until she finds someone more qualified."

"I've heard a lot of talk about the Messenger Service, Keren," Garia said. "Tell me more."

Keren opened his mouth to explain but then frowned. "Garia, Jaxen, there is a very serious point here. If those men had imprisoned the messenger agent then it must follow that they were opening and reading any mail that came to Blackstone." He stared at the others, his gaze hard, his eyes glittering. "If that is so, then these men's fate is sealed. The treaties governing the establishment and the running of the Valley Messenger Service among all the countries along the Sirrel and many others which border them are specific and detailed. No-one, and I mean no-one, may interfere with the operation of the service on pain of death. That's why Jaxen, for example, has to carry a letter of authority just to transport the mail bags and letters."

He sat back, staring at them, deep in thought. Jaxen looked shocked. Garia tried to understand what had happened.

"So, you're saying these men imprisoned the agent and then kept collecting the mail for Blackstone? Wow." She had an idea. "Does this mean, then, that Brogan might not really be a tax assessor, or whatever he said? Might he be an outlaw pretending to be an assessor?"

"It's possible, Garia, or he might just be a properly-appointed assessor gone bad." Another grimace. "That is also possible. We try to make sure that our administrators are honest people but there will always be one or two who are bad, or who go bad."

"So, this messenger service."

"Ah, yes. It was set up many, many years ago because it was proving impossible to reliably deliver anything from one end of the valley to the other, particularly if there was a war or some kind of conflict going on. A treaty was signed which meant that identifiable mail carriers could travel without let wherever they wanted to. This meant, in practice, that a messenger could ride through a war affected area without getting shot at or stopped. It proved a useful way for two sides in a conflict to talk with each other. There are further treaties expanding the idea including the setting up of the messenger offices and the use of traders like Master Tanon to take mail to places the messengers didn't go, or to places outside the treaty area. Tell me, do you remember seeing riders with a yellow headband as we traveled from Dekarran to Tranidor?"

"Why, yes, I did. Those were messengers?"

"Aye. A messenger wears a yellow sash and has a yellow neck scarf and yellow headband. Any man from any country may become a messenger, even for just one journey, but they have to give an oath and sign a declaration. They, too, must carry a letter of authorization as Jaxen does."

"The local agent, I take it, collects mail for a messenger to take elsewhere and holds delivered mail for people to collect in return." She nodded. "There is a very similar system in my own country, although of course we don't have riders any more. I'm beginning to understand the extent of the problem we might have here, Keren."

"I'm pleased you do because I'm not sure I do myself." He gave her a small smile. "Jaxen is our resident expert so we'll have to rely on his knowledge, I'm afraid."

"Me? Highness, I'm a wagon and dranakh man, not a legal expert. Of course you are welcome to whatever I know but it will not be sufficient, I think."

"This agent the smith told you about, can we question him?"

"Perhaps, Highness. Not for some days, I think. From what I saw, those who were carried away on boards were very ill through neglect, abuse and starvation. They will need rest and food before they are well enough to speak." Jaxen shook his head. "A bad business, Highness."

They turned as the husband of Yanda and their daughter approached. When they reached the table they bowed and curtseyed to Keren, who waved an arm at them.

"Please, be seated. You should not be on your feet so soon after such an ordeal."

"Thank you, Highness." The two took seats.

"I trust you are washed and fed?"

The man nodded. "We are, Highness. The first proper meal for many weeks. We thought to come and give you our personal thanks. Whatever we may do to ensure that justice is now done, that we will do freely."

"I'm sure you will, goodman. You are the inn-keeper, I take it? Your wife was running this place while you were imprisoned?"

"Aye, Highness. Fedren is my name and this is my daughter Kasinna. I was a member of the town assembly and I was one of those who objected to the onerous levies that man laid on us. I was punished for my presumption but that was not enough, my wife Yanda gave battle in my place and poor Kasinna here was taken to muzzle her protests."

Fedren put a protective arm around Kasinna, who looked in awe at those seated around the table. Both looked gaunt and malnourished but now that they had been freed showed residual spirit.

"I have heard about Kasinna, goodman," Keren said quietly. "Wagonmaster Jaxen here spoke to the smith on his way down to the inn."

The haunted expression Fedren gave Keren would stay with Garia for a long time.

"Aye, Highness. I shall not speak of it here. To be locked away, unable to ward my own daughter..." The tears began trickling down his cheeks. He wiped them away with shaking fingers. "I am glad the beast is caged, Highness. Such men ought not to be permitted to live in the same world as normal men."

"Nor shall they," Keren agreed strongly. "But Milady Garia here insists on a fair trial and a just accounting. Shall you bear that?"

"Highness, the law governs all men. If we do not follow the law, then all is lost. I will look forward to the trial, though I know it will bring forth painful memories for many." He paused and looked around at the women. "Which of you is the Lady Garia? My wife tells me she is the new liege of Blackstone, if such a thing be possible."

"And so it is, goodman!" Keren gestured with an arm at Garia, who nodded her head at the inn-keeper.

"But... I was led to believe... you are so young, milady!"

Garia smiled. "So they keep telling me. Master Fedren, I am pleased to make your acquaintance, especially if you are on the town council."

Fedren and Kasinna got to their feet and attempted to bow and curtsey. Garia waved them back to their chairs.

"Did you not hear the Prince? You two shouldn't be on your feet after what you have been through.You don't need to keep doing that to me either." She smiled again. "I'll let you get away with it this time because it is the first time we have been properly introduced but I don't need it, really."

"But milady!" Fedren protested as he sat down. "It would not be proper! We are respectable townsfolk, we pay respect to our betters!"

"But you are bowing and scraping to a sixteen-year-old girl who you barely met two bells ago," Garia pointed out. "After what you have just been through, how can you possibly know if I deserve your respect? Where I come from, respect has to be earned."

Fedren stared at Garia wordlessly. Kasinna gave her a shy smile.

"Milady," she said in a quiet voice, "you bring strange ideas to Blackstone Vale. Is it like this at your home?"

Several of those around the table broke out in smiles.

"Milady Garia is a stranger in Palarand," Keren explained. "She comes from somewhere else entirely and aye, they have very different customs than we do."

"A stranger," Fedren said slowly, "and yet a Baroness? How can this be?"

"A tale for another time, goodman. Believe me, she has earned the right. For now, we have a town to save. I would ask you two questions, if I may, concerning recent events."

"I will answer whatever I can, Highness."

"We found one today called Trogan who claimed he was a Tax Assessor." Keren held up a hand to stop Fedren speaking. "We are concerned with numbers tonight, goodman. There were five with him, of which three are now dead and two in the cells. Are there any more of this foul pack?"

"Highness, I can name nine, but I suspect there may be others." His face twisted in a grimace. "There are also those in the town who took - or claimed to take - the side of Trogan. Not many, but the townspeople will soon root them out for you. They may have sought to win Trogan's favor but I do not think they will threaten you, not with so many as you have brought to Blackstone."

"We have twenty-seven," Garia said, "though four are women and I doubt some of the wagoneers would be much good in a fight. Still, sounds like enough to clean the town up, don't you think, Keren?"

Fedren and Kasinna looked taken aback at the casual way the two conversed but Keren didn't notice.

"Probably, Garia, but we are a mixed bunch, remember. I have four men, you have five, Jaxen has... how many?"

"Eight, Highness, with two being wagoneers."

"Then there's two of Uncle Gil's wagoneers and our two guildsmen friends there. We have not fought or trained together at all, have we? I think we did well to escape so lightly this afternoon."

"But all of mine came from the palace guard," Garia objected, "and D'Janik was also a palace guardsman. I know one or two of the other wagon men have served in guard outfits as well. We may not have trained together, Keren, but I'll bet they can all take orders when necessary and they know what to do."

"Highness," Yarling added, "we may not have military training but we can both use a sword. If it had come to a battle you would not have found us wanting and we would certainly have taken your instructions." He paused, thinking the unthinkable. "Or those of Milady Garia, perhaps."

"I thank you for your support, guildsman."

Keren had a thought and stood, beckoning to D'Kenik. D'Kenik strode from his post at the front door and saluted when he reached the table.

"Highness?"

"We are told there are four more of those men abroad, D'Kenik. Warn the others here, then go across the street and warn those guarding the cells and that office." He calculated. "Can you find someone to go up to the wagons? You ought not go alone."

"I can take word, Highness," Jaxen offered, getting to his feet. "I ought not to stay here too much longer, I think."

"Very well, Jaxen. D'Kenik, warn the others."

"Highness!"

"You bring a strange party to Blackstone, Highness," Fedren said as Jaxen and D'Kenik walked away. "Wagoneers, guildsmen, armsmen and women!"

"Again, goodman, you shall be answered in time once your town is safe again. I have a second question for you tonight, and it is a simple one. Name me those whom Trogan imprisoned."

"As you wish, Highness." He noticed Merizel taking paper and pencil from her pouch and waited until she was ready. "There was myself, of course, and Kasinna here. Senidet, who is the daughter of Brydas our smith. Poor Mesulkin who was the steward appointed by Duke Gilbanar. I do not know if he will live many days, Highness. There was Polbinar who is the Agent of the Messenger Service, Blandel our mason and Jepp the town scribe."

"So, mostly those of the town assembly, then?"

"Indeed, Highness."

Garia said, "I had hoped to arrive here and stay quietly in this inn for a day or two finding out how the town worked, goodman, before I made myself known. That's obviously not going to happen now. Would those of the town assembly be prepared to take up their old positions for a time? I'm not going to start appointing people I know nothing about."

"Aye, milady, we would." He considered. "Those that are able to, I should add. Milady, I must ask, what you intend to do in Blackstone?"

"Not tonight, goodman. There will be changes, yes, there have to be after what just happened! But I'll explain all to you before we start anything. Let's get this mess cleared up first." She turned to Keren. "Perhaps it is time we retired, Keren. I'm beginning to feel a little worn down."

"Aye, Garia. It has been a busy day and tomorrow will be the same." He rose, causing everybody else to stand. "If you could find someone to guide our way, inn-keeper, we will go to our beds."

"I'm going to check the frayen first," Garia said, "but then we're off to bed as well."

~o~O~o~

"Sookie, what do you think you will do now? I'm going to send Jaxen back to Tranidor, probably with two wagons. Would you go with him or stay with us? I won't object either way."

They were getting ready to go down to the bath house early the following morning.

"Why are you sending him away, milady? I would think that you needed his men close at hand till the others are caught."

"We have to restart the messenger service, Sookie. Do you realize just how many letters this business is going to involve? I cringe when I think what the King and Queen will do when they find out what happened here and Duke Gilbanar isn't going to be at all happy either."

Sukhana nodded. "Aye, milady, I wasn't thinking. Of course Jaxen must go, it is his business after all. Why me, milady? Have you special need of me here?"

"Only if you feel like staying, Sookie. I wouldn't object if you decided to put some road between yourself and Blackstone. This is hardly what you expected, is it?"

"Maker, it's hardly what anyone expected! Let me consider, milady. You do not need an immediate answer, do you? There are no letters yet for Jaxen to take."

"You're right. After reading all that pile in Tranidor all I managed was a thank you note to the Queen. I suspect that Merry and I are going to spend all afternoon for several days just writing letters to everyone. To answer your question, you'll have to agree what you want to do with Jaxen. If you want to go, good, but if you want to stay, then I'll be happy to have your support. Fair enough?"

"Aye, milady, and I'm honored that you would think of me."

"Then let's get down to the hot tubs! Today could be somewhat busy."

Back in their chamber Sukhana looked with interest at the Blackstone colors which until now had remained in their chests.

"You choose strange colors, milady. You might not be made out, were you in a forest."

"That's exactly the idea, Sookie!" Garia replied to Sukhana's surprise. "There wasn't a great amount of choice actually, since most other color combinations had already been used, but I quite like shades of green and there was always a thought that to have colors that blended in could come in useful sometime."

"As you say, milady. Your skirt, might I guess that came from the same place as the forks?"

Garia smiled. "You might, Sookie. Like it?"

"The arrangement is... curious, milady. I like how the colors change as you move. Would it be possible..?" Sukhana left her question hanging.

Garia teased her. "If you keep having things made that you've seen one of us wearing you'll need another chest, won't you? Would Jaxen permit that?"

Sukhana smiled ruefully back. "A woman's burden was ever thus, milady. No man may understand the needs a woman has. I doubt not there will be a discussion."

"As you say! And the answer is yes, if you can find a seamstress I'd be quite happy to let you copy this skirt."

"Will you wear your swords, milady?" Jenet asked.

"Not right now, Jenet, because I have to sit down to eat. Bring them down and I'll put them on after we finish breakfast."

"Of course, milady."

Sukhana looked in Garia's chest.

"Maker! Six swords? Why do you need so many?"

"They are in pairs, Sookie. I'm so short they have to go on my back, which means it can get awkward sitting down sometimes. I have three pairs, a training pair, which are the ones with the stained scabbards, a dress pair for formal occasions, those are the ones with the fancy hilts which are usable but not properly tempered and finally the plain pair at the end are the ones I'll wear today. Those are proper fighting swords. We don't know what we'll be facing today so I'd better make sure I'll be ready should it be necessary."

"Can you really use those, milady? They are not just to make a point?"

Garia smiled. "That as well, Sookie, but they are intended for real use. I've trained with the swords enough so that I can defend myself and that's all. I've not encountered a situation yet where they have been necessary, and I hope I never do."

Jenet fussed over Garia, settling the sashes and pinning her badges of office on the diagonal one.

"Just your hair now, milady."

Once Jenet was satisfied that Garia was, literally, dressed to kill she turned her attention to Merizel, who had been helping Sukhana while she waited. Soon the four were ready to leave the room.

"You three look really good," Sukhana said, nodding with appreciation. "You look suitably feminine but no-one could pretend that you didn't mean business. Will you mind having me walk beside you?"

"Of course not, Sookie! This is all for the benefit of the townspeople. We'd be delighted to walk beside our friend."

At the foot of the stairs Keren and Brazan waited for them. Both were dressed in their respective uniforms and saluted when Garia appeared.

"Good morning to you," she greeted them. "Any trouble during the night?"

Brazan replied, "None that has been reported to me, milady."

"A quiet night," Keren added. "You three look magnificent this morning," he said, "while Mistress Sukhana reminds us that we have some serious business to handle today. Shall we go in and eat?"

"It is true, then, Highness?" Sukhana asked as they walked to their table. "I did not believe that my change in status would be permanent."

"I have asked Jaxen about your previous works, mistress, and I believe that I am justified in giving you the status you should already have had. If any should object I shall provide you a document confirming your status."

"And Jenet?" Garia asked as they sat down. "You will confirm her status as well?"

"Dear Jenet," Keren said with a smile. "I have known you all my life, you have been a true and loyal servant of the crown these many years. I have no doubt you will serve Garia just as loyally. This is a small token of my love for you."

"Highness," Jenet said through her tears, "you are a bad, bad boy. You have made me cry at breakfast."

"But they are tears of joy, yes? I would not have it otherwise."

As they were eating they became aware that the level of background noise was rising. Toranar, who was guarding the front door, came to them.

"Highness, Milady, a crowd is gathering in the street. I do not think they mean us ill but some of them keep looking at the watch building."

Garia said to Keren, "Do you think they mean to lynch those men?"

"I don't know, Garia." He looked at his half-empty plate. "I think I'll go and try and calm them down."

"Do you want me to come?"

"Not this time, if you wouldn't mind. If they see you, you won't get another meal until lunch time so sit and eat while I say a few words."

Keren walked to the door and out onto the covered sidewalk. There were about fifty people in the street, all in a half-circle facing the inn. The moment Keren appeared they all bowed and curtseyed.

"People of Blackstone," he began. "You are wondering about those who arrived yesterday and when justice might be meted out to those who recently oppressed you. We break our fast, we will join you presently. Do not think to take those who we arrested yesterday and revenge yourselves on them since that will only mark you out as being no better than they. I give you my word that they shall be judged according to the laws of Palarand as soon as we can determine the facts and arrange a trial. Will you give me leave to finish my food?"

The idea of the Crown Prince asking a mob of townspeople permission to go and finish breakfast overwhelmed some of them and they fell to their knees again. There were some mutterings of "Aye, Highness," and Keren returned to the table.

"That will keep them a short while," he said as he sat down again. "Let's finish up here and make our entrance, shall we?"

Jenet and Merizel fixed Garia's swords in position and then her four men preceded the party outside onto the sidewalk. The crowd, now swelled in number, all bowed and curtseyed again.

"Rise, please," Keren said. "I am Prince Keren, son of Robanar, King of Palarand. My presence here was not because of the evil that beset you but entirely by chance. Will you hear my words?"

Keren could see that he had everyone's full attention so he continued, "There are two matters I shall put to you, people of Blackstone. Our most immediate concern is the men that are presently in the cells behind you."

Several people at the rear of the crowd turned and looked at the stone building with one of Keren's men standing outside before turning back again.

"These men, and any others of that spawn still at liberty shall be tried according to the laws of Palarand for the crimes they have committed. If any of you can bear direct testimony of such crimes I would ask you to come forward sometime today and have your testimony recorded. We have been told that there are others of the breed still abroad, we would ask your assistance in finding and detaining these men. You do not need to be told that they are armed and dangerous. I would remind you all that there are a number of guards with the wagon train that brought us and they are also armed and dangerous. Do not mistake your quarry. If you find any of these men call for assistance, there have been enough deaths and injuries already. We want them alive to be tried and judged. Am I understood?"

There were mutterings of "Aye, Highness," but clearly some did not like the idea that the evil-doers could not just be hunted down and killed.

"Blackstone is part of Palarand," Keren said over the muttering, "and the laws of Palarand hold sway here. Let us show these people that we are better than they."

Several of the crowd stood straighter when he said those words, nodding as they appreciated the sentiment.

"The other matter," Keren said with a smile, "is a much more pleasant duty. At the recent Harvest Festival Duke Gilbanar ceded Blackstone Vale and the town of Blackstone to the King, so that he could create the lands as a new barony. The reason for the bestowing of that barony is a long and complicated one and I do not doubt you will all learn it in time."

Many of the townspeople looked confused. Blackstone was at the back end of nowhere, why make it a barony?

"Palarand is about to undergo some great changes and those changes will begin at Blackstone, since Blackstone has a treasure that has been ignored until now. I speak of the rock which gives the town its name, coal. The barony was awarded to the person who gave the secret of coal to His Majesty and much else besides. This person stands here besides me today, your new liege, Baroness Garia of Blackstone."

Garia stepped forward to stand beside Keren. Since the sidewalk was raised above the pavement all could get a clear view of the young woman standing beside the Prince. Most were confused by her presence and there was more muttering in the crowd, with people moving restlessly. Garia decided to put an end to the speculation.

"People of Blackstone," she began. "Greetings to you all. Yes, I really am your new Baroness. Yes, I really am a young woman and yes, I really can use the swords you see on my back."

The crowd stared at Garia, silent now. She returned their look, gauging the crowd the best she could.

I dunno. This might be worse than facing the Questors! At least I could walk away from their hall once I'd finished, I can't do that with these people. My people.

"I'll keep this brief for now, since we have bandits to catch and bring to trial. I was not born in Palarand or even Alaesia but somewhere else entirely. I have sworn fealty to your King and told him of many things familiar in my homeland but unknown here in Alaesia. For that reason among others he has made me a Baroness and I intend to prove to you and our King that he has made the right decision.

"You know nothing about me and that means nothing you may hear about me is likely to be true. You may think me a young woman with little experience of governing and you'd be right. With your help I want to do my duty, to make Blackstone once again the proud town it should be. As time passes we'll come to know each other and I hope that you'll decide that I am the right person for the job."

The crowd was silent, taking her words in. Garia wasn't happy.

I don't like this. What are they waiting for? Do they expect me to do something special? Is there some kind of ceremony that was supposed to happen? Have Keren and I screwed it up somehow?

Keren coughed and everyone's eyes switched to him. "If any of you have questions for either of us, ask. There will be time later for a full accounting but we may answer one or two now."

The smith shouldered his way through the crowd. "Highness, you spoke of coal. Do I assume you intend to mine the rock?"

Keren nodded. "As you say, Master Brydas." The man's eyes widened as he realized that Keren had remembered his name. "The subject is complicated but we intend to take as much of that black rock out of the mountain as we can, over the next fifty to one hundred years." That started a buzzing in the crowd. "For Blackstone it will mean many miners coming to live here, which in turn will mean that they will need places to sleep and eat and they will need to buy clothes, equipment and provisions. For most standing here it will mean more money than any of you will ever have seen."

"I'll add to that," Garia said to the crowd. "I don't want to see Blackstone or its people destroyed by undisciplined mining and overdevelopment. I want those here to have the advantages of the extra wealth but none of the disadvantages. Any mining here will be carefully planned, with your full consent and co-operation." She looked at the crowd, now animated by the magic word money. "Enough. We have evil doers to find and catch. Will you let your Prince guide you?"

There were mutterings of Milady and Highness and the crowd turned to Keren.

"Split into groups of no less than six people. I want every building searched, every room, every closet big enough to hide in, basements, flat roofs, attics, kitchens, store-rooms, stables, everywhere. If you find someone who should not be there, call for assistance and I shall send some guardsmen to help. If you should find sign that someone has been there, tell us immediately. Account for missing food, clothing, tools, weapons or beasts. Do not separate so that you are out of sight of each other. Take the greatest care, even in your own houses. Those who we seek may have changed hiding places even as we stand here. We will look in the building opposite where they kept court, and in the messenger office. Bring any word to the inn here, where you may speak with any you see in these uniforms."

The crowd immediately turned and condensed into a number of small groups who set off in all directions.

"Well! That was different," Keren mused as he watched the groups disperse.

"You know what they say about rural people," Sukhana said from behind them. "They tend to be more direct than you soft, city-living noble-born."

"It also means we don't stand around arguing when there's work to be done, Highness," Yanda added. "We want those men out of our lives and the quicker the better."

"All right!" Keren smiled and raised his hands in surrender. "I take your hint, ladies. Let's go, Garia, Merry."

Keren walked across the street to the 'watch building', where two palace guardsmen stood waiting. Garia, Merizel and two of her men followed while the rest stayed at the entrance to the inn and watched.

"Any trouble?"

"Not so far, Highness. We fed 'em this morning, which is apparently more than they did to those you released last night. Fair amount of grousing about what'll happen to you when the Duke finds out, that kind of thing. If I might respectfully ask, what did you tell the mob?"

"There are four others abroad. The townspeople are searching for them. Keep a sharp lookout in case they try to come and free their fellows."

"Aye, Highness, since we were told last night we've been careful of all who approach."

Keren nodded. "Good. I think we'll look through the building next door before tackling them, it seems they used it as a base. We need evidence to convict them."

The man grinned. "Aye, Highness, but I don't think that will be difficult somehow."

Keren led them next door where they found themselves in another office. Doors led off at both sides of the back wall.

"This looks tidy," Merizel remarked. "I expected... more mess, somehow."

"Don't forget, Trogan either was a Tax Assessor or was pretending to be one," Keren said. "To appear to have the authority he claimed, he would need to behave as a legal official, at least in his dealings with the people. Why don't you give this office a going over, Merry? Just flick through the piles and see if anything obvious comes to the eye. It would be useful to find the summary judgments that put Fedren and the others in the cells, find out what device he used."

"As you command, Highness," she said, moving to the desk that occupied one side of the office.

"Let's look in these other rooms, Garia."

Keren led the way through one of the back doors and found himself in a narrow covered way on one side of the inevitable courtyard. A door at the far end opened into the kitchen, here as usual forming the rear of the courtyard. Next to the kitchen was a small bath house, an exit way to a back lane and then a wider block forming the fourth side. The lower floor was the stables, there were six frayen contentedly munching fodder - and a guardsman, standing prepared with a crossbow at the ready.

"Highness."

"Carry on, Chinnar."

An outside stair at the end led to sleeping quarters which had been hastily abandoned. Keren spent some time here trying to determine how many had used the room but failed. Finally, shaking his head, he moved to the upper floor at the front of the building, finding three rooms, one of which had obviously been used by Trogan.

"Any ideas?" he asked Garia. "It would help if I knew what we were looking for."

"Not really, although I think we're missing something. If this is the house of the Tax Assessor, surely there ought to be some money somewhere? A cash box, strong room, something like that?"

A quick search through the house showed nowhere that could be a strong room. Back in the front office with Merizel they talked.

"Where is the strong room usually, Merry? Any ideas?"

"Why look at me? Daddy had men to look after his money - not that he ever had very much." She frowned. "Don't strong rooms usually have stone walls? You know, to stop thieves breaking in but also to protect the contents in the event of fire? This house is all wood."

Keren and Garia looked at each other. "Stone rooms," she said. "Kitchens!" he replied.

It was a narrow closet reached via the kitchen entrance, which looked in passing like an extra pantry or a store-room. Naturally, it was locked.

"We'll have to get the smith," Keren said. "He's strong enough to force this door open."

"You'll probably find," said Merizel, who had followed them out, "that he made the door and lock in the first place."

Keren rolled his eyes. "Of course, Merry!" He turned to Brazan, who had accompanied them around the building. "Can you go and find the smith? Tell him the problem, he may have another key."

Brazan banged his chest and disappeared. The others went back to the office.

"If I'm reading these right," Merizel said, "these men were demanding heavy taxes from everybody in the town and all the surrounding farmsteads as well."

"And they had to pay up," Keren said with a sigh, "since of course they believed him the real assessor of taxes. He kept the whole town under his heel through fear of retribution." His lips compressed. "That shall happen no more."

"Keren," Garia asked, "will these people actually have to pay taxes in the future? Can't we run the whole thing out of the fees from the coal mining?"

Keren shrugged. "I don't know, Garia. You'd have to talk to our tax experts when we get back to the palace. My opinion is, this is your domain, you can finance it however you wish."

Garia nodded. "I'll take advice, but that's how I'd like to do it, I think. These people will have enough to worry about in the future without having extra burdens like taxes." She turned. "Did you find anything else, Merry?"

"They have definitely been opening mail, Garia. But, of course, if he is real then he is allowed to, isn't he?"

Keren's eyes narrowed. "Just mail addressed to the Tax Assessor and mail addressed to Trogan personally, or does that include mail to others?"

"I've seen letters addressed to the Steward and letters to the Messenger Agent," Merizel replied. She licked her lips, suddenly dry. "That means he definitely broke the Messenger laws, didn't he?"

"Aye, Merry, and that seals his fate. All their fates, since they are all jointly guilty of that crime."

"Could they not have taken the letters after they imprisoned the Steward and Agent?" Garia asked.

"It's possible," Keren started, but Merizel interrupted.

"Highness, it is not. Some of the letters are dated quite recently, after the Steward and Agent were locked in the cells. I do not believe that Trogan would hand unopened letters to prisoners."

They talked about what Merizel had found until Brazan returned with Brydas, who was holding a bunch of keys.

"Highness," he said, "I made the locks for that room, I have spare keys in case of loss or need."

"Lead the way, Brydas," Keren ordered. A thought struck him. "Did Trogan know you had duplicate keys?"

The smith came very near to a smirk. "Highness, it never occurred to him who might have made those things."

Once open the room, though small, was found to contain sacks of coin and bundles of documents. Keren ordered the documents to be removed and the room locked again.

"I've seen enough," he said. "We still have men to find and this is using up time. Let's move on to the next building. Uh, Merry, I'd like you to stay here and continue going through the documents. Would you do that for me?"

"What you really mean, Highness, is that you'd like me out of the way of any danger," she replied with a smile. "I think I can manage that. Are you going to leave the guards here?"

"Of course! The contents of this building could become quite important to us. There may be important letters somewhere in these documents and in the front office."

"As you say, Highness."

A small procession walked out of the front door to the next building, which was the one with the yellow flag. Garia now realized this indicated the Messenger Office. Keren looked at the front door and then at Brydas, who smiled.

"No need to break this one down, Highness. I have the keys here, anticipating your need."

Inside was a single room with no rear access. A table, a desk and three chairs, all in disarray. The rear wall had three safes embedded in it, the iron doors all now hanging open and empty of all contents. A pile of scrolls lay heaped on the floor under the middle safe.

"Ah, that saves me the trouble of opening them for you, Highness," Brydas said. "The left one was used for mail from elsewhere to be collected by whoever it was addressed to, the center one had his fees and records and the right one was for letters and packets to be sent elsewhere. We suspected that Trogan was opening the letters but as the most senior official left in the town we thought maybe he had the right." He shook his head. "Do you tell me this is pure villainy, Highness?"

"All of it, Master Brydas," Keren said heavily. "All of it. An isolated town, easily controlled by fear and milked for all it could be made to give. He had to open all mails, to warn them should someone important - like us, for example - be due to appear. Our special circumstances meant we arrived without notice and gave them no chance to set a trap or prepare some story, and that was the only reason we succeeded yesterday."

"You are so many, Highness! You would have prevailed, surely?"

"Aye, but at what cost? If they had been given time to set an ambush there may have been ten dead instead of three." Keren waved a hand indicating the discussion was ended. "There is nothing here. Let us move on. Brydas, I do not think we need lock the door again."

A man came down the street to them at a trot, puffing as he stopped in front of the party.

"Highness," he said. "We have found one, but he climbed onto a roof to try and escape. Unfortunately he slipped and fell, breaking his neck. I am told to tell you that we will leave his body where it is for now while we continue the search. Is that your wish?"

"Aye, goodman. If any of you bring the body down here to join the others it may give another a chance to move, perhaps somewhere you have already searched. We shall collect it later, there is no urgency."

The man saluted and jogged back up the street. Keren, Garia and Brydas turned their attention to the next building.

"The Ptuvil's Claw," Keren said, looking up at the large frontage. "Do you know your way around inside, Master Brydas? Where should we begin?"

"The front door has been nailed shut these two years, Highness. If we enter by the carriage arch we should be able to reach all parts from the courtyard."

They walked through to the courtyard. A gesture from Keren sent two men to check the stables. One of them appeared by the door.

"Highness, there are fresh frayen droppings in here. Perhaps more than one beast. The stable is empty now."

"Very well. We had better check the servant's quarters next."

With men left in the courtyard on guard the rest climbed the stairs to a covered veranda over the stables, walking along it to search every room. Some were smaller rooms, whether bedrooms offices or store-rooms Garia did not know. At the rear end were four larger rooms which might have been dormitories. Keren led the way down the back stairs to a single-storey stone block which made the rear side of the courtyard.

"Next we'll look in the kitchen and the bath house. There is only one way into each of those places."

Neither the kitchen nor the bath house showed signs of recent usage although there were footprints in the dust. From the cobwebs in the kitchen it looked as if it had not been used for some time.

"We cannot tell how long those prints have been there, Keren," Garia said. "They might not be anything to do with our fugitives. Where next? In there?"

Brydas said, "That door leads to the inn-keeper's chambers, milady. There is another door at the other end, just by the stair to the women's rooms."

With signs Keren directed two men to the other end, where the stair from the women's dormitory and chambers came down to the cloister surrounding the courtyard. They waited there with drawn swords while Keren pushed open the rear door and entered with his own sword drawn. With the others following they searched all the rooms until they came out where the other two were waiting.

"Nothing. Where next, Highness?"

"We'll have to go up these stairs next," Garia said, "otherwise we might leave them behind us."

"Aye. You two, guard the stair while we check above."

With Keren and Brydas in the lead they climbed the stair to reach the corridor that ran the length of the building above the cloister. Garia grimaced and tugged Keren's sleeve.

"Have you forgotten," she whispered, "There must be another stair at the other end, for women to get to the bath house?"

"Aye, I did," he whispered back. "If any should run that way they won't get far."

The big dormitory, the first chamber, was empty and bare, as was the next smaller chamber. Beyond was a closet for linen, then another small chamber. At the end was a further chamber but this one had rough bedding laid out on the floor.

"We have found their lair," said Brydas in a low voice. "But where is the quarry?"

"Hssst!" Garia whispered. "There's a noise... above!" She pointed upwards with a finger.

"The roof-space," Brydas breathed. "I know not how to enter it."

"I think there was a hatch," Garia said, "in that closet."

Keren nodded, "And shelves to climb up to it."

He indicated the chamber door and led the way out into the corridor. Garia decided that this was perhaps the moment she ought to be drawing her swords and did so, silently, as she followed the men. In the linen closet the hatch showed no signs of interference or use, but that proved nothing.

"If he's up there," Keren muttered, "we cannot approach, it is too defendable."

"Highness," Brydas said in a low voice, "in these buildings the roof space will continue through into the front part. There may be another way up - or down."

"As you say," Keren replied quietly. "Let's go. We'll leave two here and search the rest of the building."

The search was abruptly terminated by a crash from ahead of them. Keren raced off to the end of the corridor and turned into the larger women's dormitory. The others followed but skidded to a halt, not entering the room. When Garia reached them she saw why. Within, a plaster-covered man had Keren backed against the end wall at sword-point.

"Stay there! Stay where you are or I'll spit this little lordling!"

up
399 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

62 reads, 10 kudos, no comment

Penny:
While I m just as guilty at not always leaving comments I do need to tell you how much I am enjoying this fine tale. I had expected some sort of trial in this episode and have been quite pleasantly surprised at how you shifted the story line to postpone the trial. Well done. And still looking forward to more.

One man, with a blade,

One man, with a blade, against someone trained to deal with one man with a blade. Hmmm..


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Well, maybe.

It just depends if his leg is longer than the reach of the man with the sword...

Fear not. Everyone has been taken by surprise, but some are going to end up more surprised than others!

Penny

Hrm.

Not even that. I took fencing, and watched the stage combat classes. If the person is that desperate, and is in the classic "Let me get close enough to this youth to make sure I can't miss" pose, they're in a good position to simply have their arm knocked aside (at least long enough for someone to jump back/sideways)

Otherwise, if they're at the full 'arm outstretched', you can run the risk of cutting your arm and knocking the sword out of the way long enough to duck and cover. Remember, most of the double edged swords didn't have extremely sharp edges except near the tip. They were intended to batter their way through armour as much as cut through it. (Edges more like a chisel than a knife)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Reactions

So will Garia freeze at the thought of her love being harmed? That doesn't seem to her her personality so far. Why do I have this feeling that she'll be the one to take this guy out. Perhaps a previously unknown talent for sword throwing? Or maybe a banshee like scream I'm sure as Penny said, it will be surprising.

----------
Jenna

well that got me thinking

Maybe she can channel some Xena Warrior Princess into her attack :)

Kim

I never thought I'd get this involved

with this story as I am now. I've followed it from it's beginnings and have become absolutely enthralled with the tale and the telling of it.

I generally don't care for stories that happen in the dim and distant past, but the combination of that with the modernization that Garia has brought to the setting has captured my imagination and kept me thoroughly involved in this one.

Very well done. Solid writing, great characterizations and a very well thought out plot. I thank you for sharing this with us. If I saw this one in a store somewhere, I'd likely purchase it to re-read over and over.

Hugs and Happy Holidays,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

such a cliffhanger!

revolution's picture

Love this story! can't wait to ready the next part.

Lord, a cliff hangar!

Oh, such sweet torment, and yet, I would welcome such suffering !

Does this mean we get to see Garia in action at last? Our author seems wont to peaceful ways of late. Maybe she will simply charm the assailants sox off?

The epi is absolutely brill!

Gwendolyn

Oh boy...

How will they manage to resolve this situation? Giving the man free way out of there is a non-alternative from my perspective. Garia might try to trade herself for the prince and bet on the guy threatening Keren discounting her as a potential threat. Or the prince might show him some martial arts move. Or one of the guards might have a distance weapon to use. Or they might coordinate some movement to deal with him, I don't know what. That man is not getting away from Blackstone alive, however, in any case.

Doesn't look good at the moment.

One man who seems to have the advantage at the moment. However. Everyone other than the Smith are trained competent fighters. Even the girl who the bad guy will likely discount as harmless despite the swords she is holding.

I don't think that man is even going to know what hit him.

Maggie

Scouring the Town for the

brigands sure has landed Keren in a bad position.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another excellent chapter...

...in one the best serials I've read here.

Thanks for continuing this, and hopefully, continuing 'til its conclusion. All too often an author will get several chapters into what promises to be a very good story, then dropping it due to reasons known only to themselves. Understandable, obviously, if something prevents completion but frequently we see the same author start another series which often 'ends' the same way. Anyways, props to you and please keep going.

Ignorant

If he truly knew who he held at sword's point, he would either surrender and hope for the best or try to push his luck by threatening the heir of the kingdom. In any case, it is a dangerous situation, but the good guys does unexpected skills to bring to hand. :)

Just plain good stuff, Penny!

hugs
Grover

Big mistake

The dormitory is at the end of a corridor with several rooms running off. Even if everyone stood back and allowed the assailant to leave while taking Keren as hostage, it would be far too easy for someone to separate the two, unlike a wide open space.

Besides which, that almost certainly won't be necessary. The assailant only needs to be distracted for a second or two for Keren to get the upper hand - he's using a hastily thought up strategy because he knows he's trapped. Never mind what else he's got up to, battery against the heir to the throne isn't a very good idea, let alone assault if the sword actually touches Keren. He'll probably swing, unless he tries something else stupid and gets himself killed in the process.

Presumably in the next chapter we'll see the conclusion of this dirty little business, after which the new arrivals can properly introduce themselves and get to know the locals.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

SEE...

You certainly like to leave us with a huge cliffhanger Penny. lol As usual this was a super good read and I've enjoyed SEE from the very first chapter! Thanks for taking of your time and considerable talent to keep us all entertained! I'm already looking forward to the next installment in your tale!

Not fair

Not fair we have to wait a whole week, I am giving my best puppy dog look. Really excelent story.
Brandie

Very good

Very well written.
Of course the guy with the sword has little chance, but he must consider himself dead anyway.

Sounds like Garia will have a ways to convince the townies

It still brings to mind 'A black sheriff' from Mel Brooks though.

With any luck, Garia may get involved in this little fight and have the townie witness it. In any case it is clear that however the Prince survives he will be indebted to having been trained by Garia. It is clear at this point that nobody saw Garia take down Trogan so she needs an opportunity to prove herself in front of her domain.

Luckily for the town, Garia comes from a country with a 'rough and ready' tradition, not like those namby pamby nobles from back in the old country so she can understand such rural folks that much better (that and she is from Kansas after all.) :)

Oh, yes, and cheers for Jenet, I wondered how she would be rewarded for all the things she has done since Garia has arrived at the very least.

Drat, another cliffhanger.

Kim

*snork*

*The sheriff is a Ni*BONG**....'


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

The thug is a monumental fool... and soon to be a dead one

threatening at sword point the heir to the throne is not conducive to one's health.

Hum, Keren is well trained AND trained in Garia's Earth unarmed combat/escape moves.

They are in a confined space where being a smaller than average woman carrying two short but lethal swords...

I am suspicious Garia will save Keren. If THAT doesn't cement their attraction to each other what will? And if she saves the heir to the throne on top of helping clean out a nest of thieves AND single handedly advancing Parland science, industry, defense, fashion, health care, politics and so on, WHO, tell me WHO is better suited than her to be the next queen of Parland?

Even if Keren's parents have a diplomatic match in mind what woman in her right mind would want to be placed in a position between the future king and the baroness?

It would be an untenable position for even the most unjealous of women. Plus once word leaks of all Gairia has done for the kingdom the practice of a mate to the king being from outside of Parland will not seem so important to maintain. Keeping her safe and happy will far outweigh that .

WOW cliffhangers indeed, well a attic hanger I suppose.

I agree, as satisfying as it may seem to lynch the lot of them, a solid trial with solid evidence is needed before these fiends can be executed.

And if it can be proven they killed anyone or someone they harmed dies, for instance the messenger service man...

The interfering with the mails/messinger service is already a capital crime.. Attempted murder of the heir to the kingdom would be what, attempted regicide? The thugs will be lucky if it is a swift beheading. The town will want vengeance after all the abuse and the rapes.

I fear for the two women who were raped. What if they find they are pregnant? Will they become despondent and attempt suicide? Will their children be outsized?

What of any collaborators or Quislings in town or in nearby towns?

Looks like Garia will have a VERY loyal core of people in her new duchy given all she is doing for them.

Given the importance of the mail/messenger service I would say the installation of a wide spread telegraph system, wired preferred but even semaphore aided by telescopes would do in a pinch, is a must.

Communications is too slow and allowed this mess to get out of hand.

BIG Q, are these just thugs or agents of Yod?

I assume thugs but did they get aid from Yod or others would want Parland weakened?

Loved how she rewarded Sukhana and Jenet. More loyal followers/fans in Garia's *camp*.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

'Will their children be outsized?'

Not sure how that works but if they were undernourished during their captivity they might turn out underweight.

*written with a straight face*

Kim

It might have been

It might have been 'ostracized'. Mind you, it could also have been ostriched.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Missed it by THAT much...

Would you believe a tyop?

Typo!!!!

DonAdams_0.jpg

Sorry about that, Chief.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Big Mistake

Elsbeth's picture

Well the thug made a rather large mistake, with Keren's new training I imagine he is about to feed the man his own knife.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Oh no, a cliffhanger, hope we

Oh no, a cliffhanger, hope we find out soon what happens next, though I have a feeling Garia won't stand idly by while her love interest is threatened.

As they say, the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Great chapter

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Twist and Turn

terrynaut's picture

This story has so many interesting twists and turns. None of them are exactly epic but they all add up to a delightful sum of fun.

Thanks and kudos!

- Terry

Epic

I can do epic. Epic comes a little later in the story, I'm afraid. Until then you'll have to make do with excitement, fear, romance, treachery and steam punk.

Oh, did I forget Snep?

Penny

You gotta have Snep!

It's my favorite parts ;)

Kim

great story

Somewhere Else Entirely is the best kind of epic adventure; the slow build up of varying degrees of mediocrity culminating into great events.

This is the stuff of masterwork fiction.

Hmmmm,

I do think that this situation will give cause for Garia to become, very, very, angry indeed! Threaten the man that she loves so dearly? I think not! That man I do believe is going to receive a huge surprise for sure lol! A mere woman who of course is not just a mere woman will kick his not so royal butt and quite likely slice him to little bitty bits.

Vivien

No taxes?

At first blush that is a very generous offering from Garia. I think she would essentially be giving away a good amount of income she can get from those fees. However, the lack of taxes would probably spread and create an influx of people into Blackstone just for that reason. I think it is best to keep nominal taxes and plow them back into the local economy if possible without it being obvious of course.

Kim

Taxes

I think it is commandable that Garia is willing to give up on taxes, but at the same time I think it is mistake. Let me explain why. Garia will need all the money she get hands on to help with building infrastructure for Blackstone. I think that simle income tax about one tenth to twenth (10 - 5%) should be sufficient. Also it would help people to keep habit of paying tax, so when coal is gone, there would still be income for Barony from insfrastructure and trade built inbetween.

Did Someone Say "Mediocrity"?

joannebarbarella's picture

There has been no mediocrity anywhere in the first 67 Chapters of this epic saga and unlikely to be any in the next 67+ (hint, hint) chapters.

Now, we know full well that Keren is going to get out of this teensy-weensy contre-temps, the only question being whether he does it himself or is rescued by Garia or some combination of the two. The villain is a lame or dead duck.

Garia is going to have her first encounter with the local legal system. Seeing as how she has reformed or modernised every other facet of Palarand with which she has come into contact it will be interesting to see if she remains strictly traditional in this regard or begins to modernise the system as she administers justice. Execution appears to be the norm for serious crimes, as it was in most more primitive Earth societies.

Until the mid-nineteenth century the British showed "mercy" by commuting capital punishment to transportation (firstly to the American Colonies and later to Australia) for nearly all crimes meriting more than about one year in prison, i.e. stealing two loaves of bread instead of one.

So it will be interesting to see if Garia can devise a suitable sentence other than death for the crimes that these bandits have committed, or is happy to see them hanged,

Joanne

Primitive?

Being sentenced to death has been the final answer in almost all societies, primitive and not. I certainly wouldn't call the Roman Empire (at their two main heights) primitive. Byzantium (then Constantinople) was the center of a vast, complex, and highly refined (no matter how nasty -we- might find it) society. In some ways, they were less fantasy oriented than our own. (Thus the word byzantine to describe something overly complex or complicated)

They simply understood something we keep refusing to believe, no matter how hard noses are rubbed into it.

A permanent threat to society is a permanent threat to society, and there's only one way to truly remove it as a threat. That and most crimes are committed by repeat offenders.

The only true downside is that once you've performed the action, you can't ever ask them a question again - so it does have to be carefully considered.

[edit]
Keep in mind that even with what she's done to try to help, Palarand is still on the edge, resource-wise. That means they can't make a habit of locking people away, because they become a pure drain on those resources. Even people on chain gangs are contributing, but that's "cruel and unusual" (a strange term).

Lashings, hanging, beheading, branding... all of those remove the burden on resources from the group, and place it back on the individual.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Am I Really Reading This?

joannebarbarella's picture

An endorsement of brutal forms of punishment?

Perhaps I should have used a word other than "primitive". Brutal, maybe, or uncivilised. In the case of this story the crimes to be tried are fairly straightforward in judicial terms, but consider other offences, such as a runaway slave caught and returned to his/her master. Is the lash or branding a reasonable punishment?

Or theft. Should we really cut off the thief's hand?

Or the crime of being homosexual....or, horror of horrors...transsexual. A hanging offence perhaps?

Or being a witch. Let's drown them all.

I don't know what Penny's got in store for us and I don't know what shape Palarand's judicial system is in, but all societies will benefit from a rational application of the law,

Joanne

It wasn't an endorsement. It

It wasn't an endorsement. It was an acknowledgement of harsh reality. When you live on the edge, as it were, you have to make the distinction between a collective burden and an individual burden. If you are in an agricultural society, where every hand is required just to make sure you have enough to eat - does it make economic sense to imprison someone? Not really; that's a threat to the ability to everyone else to survive.

We could argue for days about relative merits of various forms of punishment, but if you look at it pragmatically, you can see that punishments tended to be one of three kinds.

1) Permanent, but survivable. (Behanding, severed tendons, etc). These took a while to recover from, but you could generally do _something_ while healing.
2) Impermanent (I'm not counting scars). These are things that while inconvenient, don't tend to affect your ability to do anything in the long term. (Flogging, branding, normal crucifixion. ) You were in pain (or dehydrated/sunburned), but as long as you survived the initial punishment, you could almost go out and work the next day. Even tarring and feathering.
3) Permanent, non-survivable. Hanging, beheading, drawing and quartering, crucifiction by nail, impaling, drowning, stoning, pressing, and an enormous variety of inventive ways to terminate a life. Keep in mind that the _reason_ most of these were considered horrible was to discourge people from doing the event. Commit treason? End up gutted, then watch animals yank those guts out, then have your limbs ripped from your body. Simple death often doesn't hold terrors for people, but torture _first_ (or public humiliation), and you've got something that people try to avoid.

Frankly, I'm all for the death penalty, but I don't like the way it's applied. It shouldn't be a circus, but it should be public. It should also be fast - not drawn out over months and years. THAT'S the 'inhuman' part to me.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Excellent story-line excellent story.

Yes, I'm still enjoying it Penny. So many angles, so many social factors to consume and discuss. Excellent 'Stranger walks into town' scenario with a splendid historical cant.

Looking forward to the next chapter. I haven't been commenting much this past fortnight cos' I was away in the Baltic and Russia on a cruise.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

XX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

oh boy ...

can they get out of this ?

DogSig.png

Skills

Either Keren or Garia will get them out of this.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Stunned, excited, uncertain?

Jamie Lee's picture

Keren gets attention from the tow folks, but Garia is a big question to them and they don't know how to react to her.

And when she brought up the coal, they again weren't sure how to react. But first things were first and that was getting the other bad guys.

One guy did everyone a favor and died, but the guy holding Keren thinks he'll be able to escape by threatening to kill Keren. Depending how Keren is being held, either the bad guy is going to learn a lesson or end up on a pyre.

Others have feelings too.

Seize

The moment... someone knows that maxim and will probably do so.