The Artist

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Contests: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

0.jpg
It was Valentines Day again, but this time, it was time to talk.


The Artist - A Solo Story

By Julie D Cole

 


Image Credit: The Artist.


For some reason I couldn’t get a tune out of my head for over a week now and maybe it was because Valentines day was almost upon us again and my wife expected something special. Not that it had to be anything expensive but it had to have significance to our relationship and we’d promised each other that on special days like this we’d do something different. Most of the time we’d found a new restaurant but prices were getting stupid.

Our relationship was OK but not as sound as it had been and mostly I thought it was my fault because of the secrets I’d kept locked away and the stash of things I had in a rented apartment where I’d spend a few nights a month on one of my business trips. I guess the song had struck a chord with me when we’d watched Rod Stewart live and I’d been almost struck dumb for a while. After that I’d searched for the DVD that included the song and I knew it off by heart.

I guess Rod’s craggy voice had something to do with it because many of the women in our social group adored him. So he had the ability to cast a spell and I guess I was caught in the firing line. I wished he was on tour so that I could purchase tickets to see him as a Valentines gift. My wife loved him too right from his early days and so it’s never been a surprise to see him partnered to long legged beautiful girls.

I decided that this year I’d be more truthful and open and tell my wife about everything so I booked the day off work to prepare myself for when she arrived home from work. I was nervous as I tried to pluck up the courage so I sat in my chair in front of the log fire that I’d lit to produce a nice warm glow.

I had got up early that morning the lounge to write a card to leave on the front door mat and promised a surprise for her when she arrived home that included a dinner for two at her favorite restaurant [home] that was going to be prepared by me and then whilst she watched a film that I’d bought I’d change to Jules and reappear wearing a black cocktail dress that I’d bought.

Hopefully this was a way to soften the blow and so I played the DVD and put the song on repeat. I was feeling tired and imagining Rod was in the room and that I’d booked him to sing for us. As I sipped a glass of chilled wine it was almost as if he was in the room with me helping me to prepare myself.

Oh the music was nice. Not too loud and his voice was sending a tingling sensation down my back. I found myself talking to him. The words came out easily and I was telling him everything.

‘You ask me if I love you, and I choke on my reply because I’d rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie. Of course I love you and if I’ve hurt you because I can’t lie then I’m so sorry and so sad. It hurts much more for me. So whatever you think who you see now is me. The real me. ‘

‘Look I admit that I’m shocked but who am I to judge you on what you say or do, but I’m only just beginning to see the real you. Are you telling me that this is the real you?’

‘Yes, this is me. The real me.’

‘Well I admit it’s a bit of a shock but you were always sensitive and caring so I never looked for anything more than the person I could see. You are a little different than the average girl and quite pretty too. Well pretty for a boy that is. Pretty good really. So how do you feel about me?’

‘Well sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much, and I have to close my eyes and hide. I wanna hold you till I die, till we both break down and cry, now I just want to hold you till the fear in me subsides.’

‘Look, to be honest I was worried after your call. You seemed so desperate. I knew you spent a lot of time on your computer and I just put it down to a man thing looking for certain sites. I saw you looking at a lot of beautiful women and very feminine things. I never expected such an admission on Valentines’ day. Now I will look the site you joined to try to understand. I’m sure from what you’ve said that I will find so many stories of happiness and sadness of hurt and of good things and of bad things.’

‘Yes but I feel different but then again I’m the same. We are all the same. It’s just that our stories are different.’

‘Why are you different to lots of other writers?’

‘Well it’s like this. There are lots of angles to the stories and anything goes from serious stories to magic. In my case I base on real life situations. Romance and all its strategy leaves me battling with my pride, but through the insecurity some tenderness survives.’

‘Yes but so what?’

‘Well on this site I’m just another writer, still trapped within my truths. I’m a hesitant prize fighter, punching above my weight against the star writers who can pick up comments and kudos because people listen to what they have to say. I write simple stories and as you can see when you read them that I’m still trapped within my youth.’

‘OK so you are young at heart. Tell me about it. Aren’t we all? Don’t we all like a happy ending. Sometimes an ending to your stories would be nice. Then you might live happily ever after.’

‘Thanks for trying to understand me. It’s great that you visited because sometimes when we touch, the honesty's too much. I just have to close my eyes and hide. I wanna hold you till I die, till we both break down and cry. I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides.’

‘Look Jules it’s not so bad really. You might think that at times I'd like to break you and drag you to your knees or at times I'd like to break through and hold you endlessly. Don’t think too deeply. Take things more at face value. I know you better than you think.’

‘Oh Rod I’m so grateful you are such a wonderful singer.’

‘I’m getting older but I’m not so bad really am I? In fact if I say so myself I scrub up rather well.’

‘Oh thanks Rod I feel better now.’

‘At times I understand you, and I know how hard you've tried. I’ve watch while love commands you and I’ve watched love pass you by. At times I thought we were drifters, still searching for a friend, a brother or a sister, but then the passion flared again. Sometimes when we touched, the honesty was too much, and I had to close my eyes and hide.’

‘Oh Rod thanks so much, I wanna hold you till I die, ‘till we both break down and cry, I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides.’

‘Turn it off now and less of the mushy stuff. Let’s get back to business. If that was a record it would have been worn out a long time ago. Put the DVD back in it’s case and let’s watch your Valentines gift ‘The Artist’. That’s what I meant you to play not old songs from me. I just love that girl Berenice Bejo. She’s so hot.’

‘But I love you Rod. Really I do you always have a special hug for me when I need cheering up.’

…………………………………………………………….

Then I heard the front door open and my wife shout to find out where I was. Rod had gone and I wasn’t even ready. I tried to come to my senses and I was confused. I must have fallen to sleep. The TV was on and the film was playing.

‘Where are you dear. Are you getting ready?’

‘Shh!!! I’m watching the film I bought for you that you’ve wanted to see. Oh no what happened to the sound? I can’t hear anything.’

………………………………………………….

OK don’t panic. It’s a silent movie. I don’t know just what on earth have you been doing all afternoon? Come on get ready. I thought you had a special gift for me. ‘

‘Oh by the way who left this bunch of flowers?’

They’re for you.

Happy Valentines’ Day.

 
 
 
 


 

OK then... here’s a bunch of flowers.

Happy Valentines’ Day.

the artist.jpg

 
 

The End
up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love the story and the pic at

the end. Never thot of Rod Stewart being here.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

never better -

- those lyrics have never been bettered; the honesty's too much! love it ! Ginger xxx

Love This Jules!!!

It's short and sweet and says so much!;)

I've always been a fan of Rod. Maggie May might've been me?;0

Love And Hugs,
Jonelle

Short and Sweet

for a change. Just to see if this style with a little humour brightens anyones day. It was worth the effort so thanks.
Now tell us a bit more please Maggie.
Hugs

Jules

Thanks Jules!

I just love that song, nice! (Hugs) Taarpa

Nice Song, Nice Film too

Berenice is a woman with a twinkle in her eye and she only needs to wink to mezmerise. So it's not just the hormones that make the woman. Rod Stewart can of course melt all womens hearts with his husky voice. So he got you too.
I thought this short tale might catch more Kudos than it did but 'Ce La Vie'. I enjoyed writing it as much as any story I did so far even though it was short and sweet.
Hugs

Jules

Sometimes when we touch..

Lucy Perkins's picture

Oh Wow Jules.. you've got me there..it must be dusty today cos suddenly I'm all teary eyed. Goodness you have peered into my very soul with this short story
Bravo!!!
Thank goodness my lovely wife caught me out and then listened to both our hearts.

Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."