How Life Can Change -10- The Day After...

Printer-friendly version

by Little Katie

Chapter 10
The Day After...



This has been a ride, truly it has. The last few chapters were emotional for me. This chapter takes more of a look at the parents and develops them some. It deals mostly with the day after Emily contemplated suicide.


The alarm clock went off at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. This was John Sr.'s daily routine to get up this early and get ready for work. He slowly stirred as he realized that his daughter was still sleeping on his chest. Emily did not stir, she seemed oblivious to the sound of the alarm. John reached to the floor and shut off the noise, thinking it was better that she slept without interruption. John sat up, with his daughter still in his arms, and wiped the sleep from his eyes.

"Waking up like this, I can get use to," he thought.

John placed one arm under his daughters buttocks and the other on her back. Emily was still warm and pink from a night's worth of cuddling. With a little work, John stood up without disturbing his daughters rest. He used to do this, but that was a long time ago, when he had a son and his son was small. John walked up the short flight of stairs and made it to the child's bedroom. He slowly opened the door and walked across the plush carpeting. He lay Emily down in the bed, making sure her head found the pillow.

"Isn't she beautiful," John thought, watching the orange light from the mornings sunrise play against Emily's soft pink skin. "To think a few months ago, she didn't even exist. Now, I don't think I've ever seen a sight so pretty." John slowly and gently touched his daughter's back, feeling the soft skin on his hand. He bent down and lightly kissed the child on the cheek. "I love you little angel," he whispered.

John headed for the bathroom, but before going he took one more look on his child. "Precious," he said while slowly closing the door.

He entered the child's bathroom, the one he used every morning to get ready for a rough day of work. John closed the door behind him and started running the hot water. He opened the medicine cabinet and noticed that one of his razors was out of its place.

"Odd," John thought as he picked up the sheathed razor. He pulled it out, almost cutting himself because the razor had been placed back in the opposite way to how the manufacturer had made it. "Someone has been using my stuff." John examined the razor closely, noticing that it hadn't been used. He placed the fresh razor blade into his razor and after lathering his face, was ready to shave. As was his custom, John turned his head to the left and began to shave the right side of his face. He then turned his head and was about to take care of the opposite side when a piece of paper caught his eye. John bent down next to the toilet bowl and picked up a sheet of lined paper.

"I am sorry. Love Emily and John." John Sr. read aloud.

"I wonder what was going on in here last night," John thought, thinking perhaps his new daughter might have been contemplating suicide. "No," he thought, "she is too young. But, then again, this has been a very traumatic experience. We will have to talk when I get home, make sure everything is okay.".

John folded the note and placed it on the counter. He finished shaving and splashed on some aftershave and cologne. He went down the hall and poked his head into his bedroom. His wife was still sleeping "She looks almost innocent with her eyes closed," John chuckled to himself. He grabbed a suit, tie and dress shirt from his closet, and a clean pair of socks and underwear from his dresser. John took his clothing and headed downstairs to the den. John got dressed while watching the morning news, though he didn't really pay attention, some noise was preferable to the ramblings of his own head.

Luckily, Vivian had remembered to set the auto dial on the coffee machine. John made himself a cup, black and sweet, and grabbed a sweet roll from the refrigerator. He ate what had become his usual breakfast and was ready for the day to begin. He shut off the television and headed out to the car. The day's daily battle with traffic and people who really shouldn't be on the road was about to begin.

A normal 15 minute drive on the weekend was an hour odyssey in weekday traffic, but John finally made it to work in one piece. The tall New York city skyscraper awaited John's arrival, as it had everyday for the last 12 years. John was a market analysis for a major brokerage firm, it wasn't the love of his life, but it paid the bills.

He had a small office on the 62nd floor, not much to brag about, but at least it wasn't a cubicle. John sat down in his big leather chair, and looked about his office. He noticed something for the very first time. Though he had pictures of his wife and of his son, he had no pictures of Emily. He had informed the office of what had happened, and in fact it had been a major topic of discussion for a few days when he returned. He was the guy who's son became his daughter. Most of the comments had been, "sorry it happened," "tough break," or the more callous, "at least you have another one on the way."

John really didn't discuss his own feelings on the matter, afraid maybe a comment would be taken the wrong way. "I like having a daughter," he wanted to tell people, "she is the most beautiful thing in the world." He kept his mouth shut though, thinking that work and home never did mix well either way. John only had a serious talk on the topic with one other employee, that was Bob. Bob had a similar situation going on at home, but where Emily was made a girl because of an accident, Bob's boy was becoming a girl by choice.

They talked about the social ramification of things, and thought it would be a good thing for their two children to meet. Bob had become a close friend since the accident, perhaps knowing what it was like to simultaneously lose a son and gain a daughter. "It's going to be interesting when those two meet," John thought, "they are both making a unique transformation."

It was 8:30, John had caught up on his messages and figured now was as good a time as any to call home.

"Hello?" Vivian said after she picked up the phone.

"Honey, hi, how are you this morning?"

"Back is kind of sore. You?"

"Yeah, my back is sore too, we keep fighting like this and I think I'm going to have to buy a new couch."

Vivian chuckled a little bit, "I guess you are going to have to stop fighting then."

"Funny," John said trying to ease the tension.

"So, what's up? Forget something?"

"No, found something, did you see the note in the Emily's bathroom."

"No, she was in there when I woke up and I didn't notice anything when she left, should I have?"

"Maybe, I don't know. We are going to have to have a little family discussion when I get home, calmly."

"Yes, I figured we might."

"You did?" John said shocked.

"I've really been flying off the handle and over reacting, haven't I?"

"Maybe just a little."

"Maybe I shouldn't have banned Jessie completely, but I was so shocked."

"Well, maybe we can talk about that tonight, too, maybe it was just kids exploring, if it was something more, then she shouldn't sleep over."

"We will see, I can't see a girl and another girl together, it's just wrong."

"Honey, you have been raising Emily from birth to like girls, in fact, I know you were trying to get Emily interested in Jessie before the accident."

"True, but that was then."

"Honey, I'm at work, I really can't discuss this now, just do me a favor?"

"What's that?"

"Lay off her a little today, let her play with Jessie out back or in the den. That way you can keep an eye on things and she won't have to be alone all day."

"I will, I won't like it, but I will. Why can't she invite one of her baseball buddies?"

"After the treatment she got last night, I think she will need a day or two, okay?"

"Okay, you're the boss."

"Love you."

"Love you, too." Vivian said as she hung up the phone.

"I wonder what note was left behind," Vivian thought as she settled down into the firm chair in the den, "maybe when I let Emily out I will do a little cleaning in her room." Vivian smiled. "No, I am sure I will find out soon enough, I think I meddled enough for this week. She did seem quite upset last night anyway, she probably needs a rest from me."

Vivian laughed to herself as she started her knitting. "Last night was rough at that banquet, good, that means we got the truth out in the open. Besides now at this party on Saturday, she can concentrate on having a good time and not on making some extravagant announcement.

"Ooh, I can't wait until tomorrow, getting Emily her first party dress. I'm going to make sure that it has the most ruffles and the most frills possible. She is going to be so cute, it will humiliate any 'boy' she has left out of her. Make her so cute that the boys notice, start getting her interested in one of them perhaps.

"To think, a girl experimenting with another girl, for shame. I will let that little tramp come over and play with Emily, but no more behind closed doors. She's turning out just like her mother, poor thing, has no good role model to show her how a girls suppose to act."

Vivian finished the sock she had been darning, and decided to inform her daughter that she could invite Jessie over. She made it up the stairs, only a little winded, and went into the child's room.

"What are you doing?" Vivian asked.

"Dancing," Emily said matter of factly.

"And where are your clothes young lady?" Vivian asked in a scolding voice, noticing her daughter hadn't a stitch on.

"I haven't gotten dressed yet, I just got out of the bath."

"What would people think?"

"People aren't here, i'ts just me."

"I suppose not, but young lady's don't do such a thing."

"Why?"

"Because it isn't proper."

"But, why?"

"Do you see me doing such things?"

"No. But that didn't answer my question."

"Ladies just don't, that's how I was raised and that's how you'll be raised."

"But, Mom, am I bad for being like this?"

"It's just not right, who else do you see dancing around naked?"

"No one."

"And what would you think if you saw me dancing around naked, you wouldn't like it, would you?"

"I don't know."

"Honey, hush, I'm a lady."

"Does taking off your clothes make you less then a lady?"

"No."

"So why is it wrong?"

"It just is."

"You still haven't given me one reason yet."

"Because I'm your mother and I say so, now get dressed or I'll dress you myself."

"Okay, okay." Emily gave in, figuring her mom was more likely to dress her like a baby than anything else.

"Once you're done, you can invite your little friend over."

"Really?"

"Yes, but you must stay in either the den or the yard, and you must keep your clothes on, do you understand?"

"Yes ma'am."

"That's more like it." Vivian took a secret delight in her child being obedient. "Now before you call, I want to see you dressed, got that?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good girl." Vivian compleminted as she walked out the room.

"To think," Vivian thought, "Going around with nothing on. Argue with me that there is nothing wrong with it, why I should have cracked her one right there. The only people who go around naked are those asking for dirty things to happen, just like my dad use to say.

"Oh God, I am turning into him though aren't I? I promised myself I wouldn't and for awhile I was getting away with it. Sure, I didn't have a daughter, it was easy. Then poof, this happened, and what do I do, I turn right into my father. I hated him for being so strict and rigid, and now I'm doing the same thing.

"It's her room, she's right, no one can see her. Now, I can see if a boy was in there with her, maybe then it would be wrong, but by herself, what's the harm. Maybe tonight when John comes home we can bring that up."

Emily went down to the den where her mother sat watching the news. The blue velvety dress came just above her knee, the white trim on the sleeves gave it just the right amount of contrast.

"Is this okay mom?" Emily asked.

"Come here."

Emily walked directly in front of her mother.

"You look very pretty in that."

Emily blushed, "Thanks."

"What did I do to get such a beautiful daughter?"

"Put me in a taxi."

"That's not what I meant."

"I know, I was just teasing."

"I have been a little rough on you lately, haven't I?"

"I don't know, just like usual, I guess."

"No, I've been letting everything get to me, and really been flying off the handle. Dad wants us to have a family meeting when he gets home."

"About me?" Emily said.

"Yes, and about him and about me. About us all. I know I've caused you some pain since this happened, trust me though it's for the best."

"Well, I do wish you let me keep my toys."

"We will talk about this more when dad is home, I will explain to you both."

"Okay."

"Give Mom a kiss and go call your friend, remember in the den or the yard, not in your room, you understand."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good girl," said Vivian.

Emily smiled and gave her a peck on the cheek then placed her hand on her mom's belly and felt the baby move around. Emily placed her ear on her mother's belly, listening for the baby's heart beat, but most likely hearing her mother's instead. Vivian stroked the child's hair, it was getting to be a good length. "She is cute like this," Vivian thought noticing that while the child bent over the dress lifted up to reveal her panties. "She is like a little girl, let her be, she is new to all this, after all."

Emily stood back up and smoothed her dress down. She ran off to use the phone in the kitchen. She called Jessie and invited her over. It didn't take but a few minutes from the time Emily hung up the phone until there was a knock on the door. Emily let her friend in and they went out to the back yard. They sat down on the swing, each putting an arm around the other and gently swaying in the breeze.

Vivian watched from the den's window. "How cute those two are," she thought. "Wasn't long ago I thought they should be an item, then Emily came, and now I want them to be just friends. If Emily's grandpa saw them like I caught them, it would have been the belt. She is lucky I'm not him. My butt still hurts from the time he caught me playing doctor, and I was only four at the time.

"She is too young for what they were doing, oral sex between a 9 and 7 year old. The horror. Now, if they were teens...

"Hush yourself, Vivian, you mustn't think such things, it's just not proper. Even though a part of me found it a bit erotic, maybe even exciting, I can't let that part of me show. What would people think? Part of me would have liked to get a closer look, though. For shame on you, Vivian, that's your daughter you're thinking about.

"I should have just closed the door and let them have their little fun, but they saw me; I had to react the way I did. What would Emily think of me if I went 'oh, it's okay', or even worst, 'lick on the bump'. Vivian, you know better to think like that, if your father knew what you were thinking, it would be the belt for sure."

Vivian went out on the porch and sat in a wooden rocking chair. Emily and Jessie waved at her and she waved back. The two were chatting about something, Vivian couldn't make out what. "Maybe Emily is lucky," she thought, "she has someone to explore that with, maybe I wasn't mad, maybe I was jealous."

"Your mom is watching us." Jessie informed Emily.

"Well, after what she thinks she saw last night do you blame her?"

"Maybe, I told my mom, she didn't like it much either."

"Yes, but we weren't doing that."

"Yes, but it had to look like you were kissing it."

"Ewww." Emily laughed.

"I know, Mom said that we are too young to kiss down there, I don't know why anyone would want to."

"Yes, it's got to taste like pee or something. Yuck."

Jessie laughed, "I think kissing on the mouth is good enough and maybe rubbing is nice to, but I'm not kissing pee."

"Me neither, you know what? I kind of just like cuddling anyway, it's the nicest."

"Yeah, I can stay here all day."

Jessie leaned her head on Emily's shoulder, they both enjoyed each others warmth as they gently swung on the bench. Emily felt warm all over and the light breeze tickling her thigh added to that sensation.

------

The afternoon went by without any conflict, Emily helping her mother with knitting. In fact, Emily turned out to be kind of a natural at it, and was working on one bootie while her mother was working on the other.

"Finished." Emily called out.

"Me too, let's look." Vivian took the bootie Emily made and compared it to the one she had finished. "Almost a perfect match, but I think yours is better then mine." Vivian pouted.

"I learned from the best," Emily smiled.

"Come here ,you." Vivian patted the cushion she was on. Emily came and sat right next to her mother. Vivian put her arm around the child and pulled her close.

"Thanks, Mom."

"Why can't we be like this more often?"

"I don't know, I'd like to, I love this."

"So do I, you're a sweetie, you know that."

"I learned that from the best, too."

"You are going to be a big help when the baby comes too, I just know it."

"I want to be, I hope you teach me a lot."

"Maybe we both can learn from each other."

"Huh?"

"Well, I got to learn to be more relaxed I think, and I think you could teach me that, I forgot it somewhere."

"Um, okay, I guess." Emily answered a bit confused.

At that time the door opened up, Dad was home from a long day of work.

"Where is everyone?" he called out.

"In the den, honey," Vivian called out.

"Now that's a beautiful sight." John said as he saw the girls he loved on the sofa. Vivian had an arm around Emily's shoulder and Emily was resting her head on her mom's breast. "Have a good day, you two?"

"Yes, we did, Vivian answered.

"Well, I think now is a good time we all had a little talk, while everyone is calm."

"Ok, Dad." Emily said as Mom nodded.

"Okay, first, I saw a little note in the bathroom this morning, I was a bit confused, would you like to explain it?"

Vivian was eager to hear about it too, her husband had mentioned it, but not what it said.

"Well, it just said I was sorry?"

"Sorry for what, sweetie?" Mom asked.

"For causing so much trouble and being yelled at, I guess."

"Why did you sign it both Emily and John?"

"Because sometimes I feel like I'm both and it's ripping me up inside sometimes." Emily started to tremble.

Vivian petted Emily's hair, trying to calm her down. "It's hard, baby, but you got to let that boy side go now."

"But it's a part of me, it's like letting go of an arm. Everyone seems to hate me now."

"Who, who hates you?"

"All my friends from Little League, they all made fun of me and said nasty things."

"Oh, honey," Mom said, "they were just surprised and it's going to be difficult in the beginning, but aren't you glad I had coach tell your secret, don't you feel better?"

Emily jerked herself away from her mother, "That's right, you did tell him to tell people, I almost forgot, why?"

"Baby," Vivian started to explain, "the longer you waited, the more difficult it would have been. It's like when you have a band-aid on, if you pull it off slow it just hurts longer. But, pull it off quick, even though it may sting, it gets better that much faster. It's the same thing with this, we pulled off the band-aid, now things can get better faster."

"But I felt like a moron."

"I'm sorry, really, but now it's out, now people know, it was going to be difficult whenever you told them."

Emily sat their and sulked, sitting apart from both her parents.

John cleared his throat, "What were you doing with my razor?"

Emily looked shocked, so did Vivian. Emily just looked down at the floor.

"Honey, tell me? I won't be mad at you, I promise, were you going to hurt yourself?"

Emily looked down at the floor still, tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Baby, no." Vivian said. "Why?"

"Because everything was going bad and kept getting badder and badder."

"Things couldn't get that bad," Vivian said.

"Well, they did, I had no friends from the team, not even Jessie was allowed to be my friend last night. I didn't have anything left that I liked."

"Why didn't you tell us?" John asked.

"Why and have mom yell at me some more or hit me some more?" Emily wailed.

"Honey, no matter how much I yell, I still love you. And, hitting you was wrong, I'm sorry about that, but don't ever think that I don't love you. I was just shocked about seeing you."

"You were shocked even this morning when I was alone."

"I shouldn't have been and I have been thinking about that, too, today."

"Really?"

"Yes, it is your room and you can dress anyway you want in it, even if it's not dressed at all."

"For real?"

"Yes, its kind of cute anyway," Mom smiled.

"Even when Jessie is over?"

"Honey, you are too young for what you were doing."

"Dear," John interrupted, "Let her explain what she was doing, maybe it's a misunderstanding. Emily?"

"We were just looking to see if mine and hers looked the same, since you know mine is made by a doctor."

"You weren't licking each others?"

"Yuck," Emily jumped in before her mom could say another word.

"See, they were just exploring," said John sr.

"But two girls, honey?"

"We might have to accept the fact that is the way Emily is, she is going to like girls like that, it's how we raised her until recently."

"I guess, but Emily, wouldn't you like to find a nice boyfriend to spend time with?"

"A boyfriend, gross, I don't think I can ever like boys."

Vivian just frowned.

"Anyway, there is nothing wrong with two girls together." John chuckled.

"That's because you're a guy, and it's the ultimate guy fantasy."

"So what?" John admitted.

"What if it was two boys, then what."

"That's different."

"No, it's a double standard and you know it."

"If this never happened, and our son liked boys, I wouldn't love him any less, we just have to accept it."

"You know what," Vivian stated, "she is too young to decide and it's way too early for this conversation."

"Okay, next is the party, do you know how many of her friends are coming?"

"Probably none." Emily answered.

"Well, little-miss-know-it-all, you're wrong." Mom corrected. "Everyone said they would come."

"Really?" Emily beamed with delight.

"Yes, really, see told you it was better to get it out of the way, they are still your friends. They just needed time to adjust."

"Okay, so we need to pick out a dress tomorrow, correct?" Dad asked

"Yes, we do, a very pretty one." Vivian answered.

Emily smiled, she was looking forward to the party more then ever.

----

Wednesday came and Emily decided to take a nap before her father arrived to take her and her mother to pick out a dress. Emily lay in her bed, the light breeze from a box fan danced across her skin. She stirred slightly, having the feeling that someone was watching her. She opened her eyes and looked towards the door, no one was there. She rolled over to look out the window.

"Ah!," Emily yelled, upon seeing a figure standing inside her room in front of the window.

"Sorry, baby, I was just watching you.".

"Mom, you scared me."

"I said I was sorry."

"What are you doing in here?"

"You looked so cute, I was thinking about when you were a baby."

Emily blushed, "I'm still little."

"You look very comfortable."

"I am."

"Mind if I join you, we can set your alarm for before your dad is due home?"

"Sure." Emily said, assuming her mom meant join her for a nap.

Vivian reached down and removed her house coat, revealing nothing except her pregnant body.

"Mom!?" Emily exclaimed in shocked.

"Do you mind if I join you, it looks like fun?" Vivian asked again.

"I thought you didn't like this."

"Well, I got to thinking, and it is just us girls."

"Yeah, but why the change?"

"I simply thought it would be a good way for us to bond. That is if you still want to take the nap with me?"

"Sure," Emily smiled, "hop on in."

"I don't think I will do much hopping."

Emily laughed as her mother clambered into bed. Emily looked at her mother, delighted both by what she saw and that her mom wanted to share something with her. Vivian lay on her side, and placed her arm over her daughter. The two snuggled up the best that they could.

"This isn't too bad," said Vivian.

"No, it's kind of nice."

"Yes, but let's keep this between you and I, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Vivian smiled, drawing her daughter's head onto her breast, letting her use them as a pillow. Emily fell back asleep there, with her mother stroking her hair. Vivian looked down at her daughter, "Sleep little one, enjoy this as much as I am."

"I wonder if she would like to suckle again, it would be nice. For shame, thinking such things about your own daughter, about a child." Vivian decided it was best to close her eyes and take a nap herself.

-----

The alarm went off at 5:30, a good half hour before John was due back home. Vivian reached over and turned the buzzer off. Emily was still on her breast, sleeping like an angel. Vivian gently moved the child, making sure she didn't wake her.

Vivian sat up, it was getting to be more and more of a chore. She stood up, with some work and turned and face the child. "Such a cute little thing," Vivian thought "she is going to drive people wild. The boys are really going to miss out if she only likes girls. I can see John's point though, we raised her to like girls, before all this mess happened.

"I guess I am as bad as he is, it is kind of exciting to think about it. Vivian, for shame, get those dirty thoughts out of your head. Her little honey is cute though, almost made me laugh when she said yuck about tasting it. I wonder how a young girl... Vivian, you're in danger of thinking something you shouldn't. So what, no one is around, she is asleep."

Vivian reached down, her hand gently on Emily's thigh. She slowly pulled on it, causing the leg to part.

"Mom, is it time to get up?" Emily stirred.

"Yes, dear, why do you think I'm shaking your leg?"

"Okay, are we going to leave right when dad gets home?"

"Yes, and we are going to go out to dinner, so make sure you look presentable for a change."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Now, be a good girl, and get dressed."

Emily got out of bed, arching her back to stretch. She lifted her arms in the air and then bent down to the floor. Vivian looked for a second, admiring the view.

"Okay, okay, enough dawdling, time to get dressed, we don't want to keep Dad waiting."

"I was just stretching."

"Well, stretch while putting on your clothes."

"You aren't dressed either."

"You watch your tone, young lady, it takes me only a second. I'll be back in 5 minutes, you better be mostly ready."

Vivian left the child's room and headed back to her own. "See what happens when you get too close," she thought, "those thoughts, you should be ashamed of yourself. What kind of parent are you? What would your father think? Thinking about another girl, just like that time in college, he would go through the roof."

Emily looked through her drawers and pulled out a pair of pink panties. She slid them up her legs to rest against her groin. "I prefer not having these things on," she laughed to herself. She found a pair of white socks with pink ruffles, and put one on each foot. She grabbed a slip, she only had two, she glided it down her body and smoothed it out.

"This is getting to be simple," Emily thought about getting dressed. Emily found the white dress with the pink borders, the one she wore when she came home. It was really the only nice "going out, fancy" dress that she owned, the rest were more casual. She put it on with care, making sure everything was smoothed out, and the proper length.

Emily walked over to the mirror, the little girl smiled back at her. "You look very pretty, little one," Emily said to the reflection. "I've come a long way, I think." Emily kissed the mirror, and laughed. At times, she found it hard to believe that that was her own reflection looking back at her.

Her mom opened the door, causing it to hit Emily in the head. Emily fell down with a thud.

"Ouch!" Emily cried.

"What are you doing standing in front of the door like that?"

"That's where the mirror is."

"Oh, oops. Well, I didn't hit you that hard, get up."

Emily got to her feet, her mom motioned her to spin around. Emily obliged, taking an exaggerated slow spin.

"Very good job, young lady." Mom complimented.

"Thank you," Emily bowed at the waist.

"We are going to have to teach you how to curtsey."

"Courtesy what?"

"Not courtesy, curtsey, it's the way girls bow, I can't show you now, I'll get your little friend to."

"Okay." Emily said, not sure what her mom was talking about.

At that moment a horn beeped, Dad was home.

"Go down and meet your father, I will catch up."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good girl," Vivian said as Emily left the room.

Emily hurried down the stairs and got into the back seat of the car.

"Mom is coming, she is just slow."

"I know, she is carrying another person."

"Yeah."

"How was your day?"

"It just went on and on and on forever, I thought you would never get home."

"Well, we will pick out something nice, anxious are you?"

"You bet, I never thought I'd ever get a party dress."

"Never thought you would have the need, a few months ago."

"When this first happened, I didn't think I would be interested in stuff like this."

"So what changed your mind?"

"Well, I figure if you can't beat them, might as well join them."

John laughed at the cliche, "I guess that is one way to look at things.

Vivian made her way to the car and got in, the family was off to a small shop at one of the strip malls. It was a short ride, especially when compared to John's daily trip to the city. They came upon a store, bland by the facade, named "Christina's Boutique". One would hardly know it was there if it wasn't for the painted window in the door.

John, being the gentleman that he was, opened the door for both Vivian and Emily. They were on their way in, Emily felt both excited and nervous at the same time. Part of her wanted to dress real pretty, see what it was like and please her mother. Another side of her wanted to hop back in the car and forget the whole thing, hide under a rock and let life pass by without anyone noticing what she had become.

The family walked inside, the cool air was a treat after the few seconds in the muggy air. Emily stood spellbound as she saw the displays of dresses and accessories. Everything looked frilly and feminine, she wasn't sure if she loved it or wanted to be sick. Her mother and father spoke to a tall slender blonde woman. She looked up there in years, but had a certain air of grace about her. Emily walked around the clothes, looking at all the lace and bows. She touched some of the dresses, they felt cool, soft and silky. She thought that to wear them must be very comfortable.

"Emily, come here." Mom called out.

"Yes, ma'am"

"My what a very polite young miss you have there," the proprietor said.

"Thank you," Vivian said as Emily made it by her side. "Honey, this is Christina, she owns the shop."

"Nice to meet you," Emily said as she held out her hand for a hand shake.

"Absolutely adorable." Christina said as she gently took the child's hand. "I hear you are having a very special party this weekend."

"Yes, ma'am."

"And you want to look your very prettiest, don't you?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Well, then let's get started, I've got several dresses I would like you to try on, would that be okay?"

"Yes, that would be very nice."

"Good, come to the back, we got a nice size fitting room, do you want both your parents or are you still shy around Daddy."

Emily blushed, "No, they both can come."

"Good, nothing wrong with Dad seeing you in your skivvies anyway, it's like wearing a bathing suit. Follow me."

Christina lead the family back to the dressing room. It was quite large, much larger then any of the ones at department stores. It had two wooden benches and mirrors going around three walls. A small dresser stood along the back wall, holding all kinds of clips and accessories in its drawers.

"Emily," Vivian said, "get undressed here with your dad while I go pick out a few items for you to try on. Okay, hon?"

"Yes ma'am." Emily closed the door to the dressing room, only her dad and she remained inside.

"Excited?" Dad asked.

"A little."

"Your first party dress."

"I know, it will make Mom happy."

"You, too?"

Emily blushed, "Kind of."

"You know, it's nothing to be ashamed of that you like all this girl stuff."

"It's just weird."

"What is, the dresses?"

"No, that I like it." Emily blushed.

"It is quite all right. Can I tell you a secret?"

"Yes."

"I like you like this, too, I feel I can be closer to you."

"Me too, that's what I like best."

"Can I tell you something else, now that we are alone?"

"Sure."

"It scared me that you were thinking about hurting yourself the other night."

Emily looked down, not knowing how to respond.

"Honey," John lifted his daughters chin, "I love you and I don't know what I'd do if I lost you. There is nothing so bad that we can't work it out."

"I know. I was just so sad, it looked the better way to do things."

"But, it isn't, is it?"

"No, I would make a lot of people I love very sad."

"True. So you promise that before you grab a razor or something we can talk?"

"Yes, Daddy." Emily threw her arms around her dad and received a warm hug and peck on the lips.

"Okay, let's get this dress off." Dad said as Emily stood in front of him. Emily raised her arms and dad gently pulled off the dress and hung it neatly on a hook. It took only a few seconds for the cold air to hit the rest of Emily's body.

"Excited or cold, baby?" Dad asked.

"Huh?" Emily didn't know what he was referring to.

"Your breasts, honey, your nipples are pointing."

Emily looked down, her small nipples stuck out from the skin. Emily got very red from embarrassment and folded her arms over her chest. "I don't have breasts," she proclaimed.

"No, not yet, but they are developing."

"They are?" Emily said in amazement.

"Yes, haven't you noticed that your getting small mounds, I mean you are naked enough of the time."

"I thought I was getting fat."

"Well, they are fat, that's what they are made of, it's how you girls store your fat."

Emily removed her arms from in front of her chest and examined them in the mirror. They did look a little swollen, especially with her nipples erect.

"Don't worry, they will grow, you're still young." Christina said as she walked in holding a dress in each arm.

Emily spun around, embarrassed at being caught.

"Don't worry," Christina added, "you aren't the first girl to wonder if her chest will grow, just give it time."

Mom came in behind her, she also was carrying a dress. "Okay, let's see which one of these we like the best."

The dresses were hung on a small bar on the door. "Try the one I picked out first." Mom said as she handed Emily a white dress. Emily held it up over her body, it had ruffles everywhere and seemed to be extremely short. Emily handed the dress back to her mom.

"It looks short," Emily explained.

"Just try it on for mom." Vivian said removing the dress from the hanger.

"Yes, ma'am," Emily answered, not wanting to get into a debate with her mother in front of a stranger.

Emily lifted her arms as her mother lowered the frilly dress on top of her. The two layers of skirts were not long enough to hide her panties and the frilly arms made them look much to big for a child her size.

"See, too short," Emily explained

"You have to put these on." Mom said while handing Emily a pair of ruffled underwear.

Emily pulled on the pair, though the waist and leg bands fit fine the panties had way to much room in them. Emily thought it best not to point this out and looked at herself in the mirror. "I look ridiculous, I look like an infant, not a girl."

Vivian and Christina were cracking up. "She makes an adorable baby" Christina said.

"Yes, won't her little friends be surprised how cute she is" Mom added.

"Ma!" Emily protested.

"Yes, little baby?"

"You can't be serious."

"No, honey, we are just teasing, but you do look darling. I always wanted a baby girl, especially one like you."

"Mom," Emily blushed making her look even more like a toddler.

"Oh, you didn't raise her from a baby?" Christina asked.

"No, we just got her." Mom tried to explain.

"Oh, how wonderful, I think adoption is great, she is a very lucky girl."

Mom just nodded, and Emily just looked at the big toddler in the mirror, not knowing how to respond.

"Okay, let her try on the real dresses for the party," Dad finally said, breaking up the silence.

Emily pulled off the frilly panties and John helped her out of the dress. Now was the time to try on the real things, the ladies had their little fun.

The first dress Emily tried on next was all white as well. It was sleeveless and had a long flowing skirt that reached the floor. A big pink bow sat at the waist and tied behind her. Two small pink flowers were crocheted on the skirt as it pushed out away from Emily's legs.

"Let's see you walk a little." Christina advised.

Emily made a short but careful trip from one side of the room to the other. She returned to the center of the room and gave a slow twirl.

"What do you think, Emily?" Mom asked.

"I don't know, its white, won't it get dirty?" Emily answered, shocked her mother wanted her input.

"True, try the other one on, then we will pick."

"Yes, ma'am," Emily answered causing her mother to smile.

Emily tried on the second dress. It was a dark pink, short skirted dress. The sleeves were sheer pink, allowing the child's arm to be seen. The skirt, which came six inches above her knee, had a white border around the bottom. This one also had a bow, but very small in comparison to the other dress. A white flower adorned the center of the chest. Emily took another stroll for everyone, finishing with a twirl and a smile.

"I think we have a winner," John said.

"Yes, I think so, too," Vivian agreed.

"Excellent choice, will you need some accessories, stockings perhaps or gloves or shoes or a tiara?" Christina added, trying to increase the sale.

Vivian agreed to get a pair of stockings and some matching shoes for the dress. Emily's mom went to the counter to pay for it all.

"Dad, can we look at something?" Emily asked

"Sure."

"Look at this, I saw it when I first came in." Emily went over to a mannequin that was wearing a ballet costume.

"It's very nice."

"Jessie does ballet too, she brought one over."

"Is that something you want to do?"

"I don't know, I was just thinking about how they looked."

"Well, if you do, I am sure we can work out some lessons."

"Thanks, I don't know though."

"We are all ready, grab the boxes, hun." Vivian called to them.

"Two boxes," John inquired.

"Yes, two, I got something for me."

"Okay," John answered, perplexed because the store only catered to children. He took the two boxes and put them in the trunk. The family got into the car and went off to dinner, talking and planning for the weekend party.



We keep getting closer and closer to the party. It should be quite a fanfare. I wonder if people would show. I wonder what's in the second box. Well, I don't wonder because I know. Do you? Next chapter should be the party. Enjoy. Thank you for all the wonderful comments I've been reading lately. It makes the work worthwhile and shows me that it is appreciated.

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

ages ago

I can't believe this was written a decade ago and still someone asked to read it. I can see how life has changed for me as well. I am no longer the person who wrote this, since then I've become whole and me. It is curious to see how my writing has changed.

Katie Leone (Katie-Leone.com)

Writing is what you do when you put pen to paper, being an author is what you do when you bring words to life

Glad to see Emily

and her family again. Wondering what choices Emily will make.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine