Missing Pieces Part 6

Printer-friendly version
Missing Pieces

by:
Elsbeth

Can Eric find the missing pieces in is life

magicstones

 


 
Part 6

Coming back with a smile on my face, Rika picked it up almost immediately.

“I’m glad to see that you’re feeling better, Erin.” Her eyes opened wide as I set the container of cookies on her desk. Sitting on the edge, I took one more. Had to watch my girlish figure you know.

While munching on the cookies, the two of us discussed a conference I needed to attend next week, most likely taking me out of town. We covered a few more things, before she passed me the list of attendees for the weekend’s Fundraiser. Even after she pointed to Travis Onir’s name, it didn’t damper my mood.

“Why in the world is he attending?”

“Franklin says he has a thing for you.”

“Right, like that’s ever going to happen.” The very thought of it made me want to hurl.

Rika smiled in agreement. “Anyway, I’m guessing it’s because you made it the place to be this weekend.”

Looking over the attendee list, from what I remembered, it hadn’t become such an important event before I turned into Erin.

“I didn’t do anything.”

“Of course you did, without your influence; I doubt we would have the sponsors.”

Frowning, I thought back on the meeting Erin had attended. Suddenly I realized through my business connections, not Kaylee, I had been able to speak to the more influential people in the city. Looking over the list, I noticed even the mayor and several state representatives were scheduled to attend.

“These are wonderful.” Rika giggled as she finished her second cookie.

“I know, it’s a little cookie therapy. Kaylee’s mom has a way of making things, well…better.”

“Oh, speaking of moms, yours just called right before you walked in. Seems she lost your cell number again, and would like you to call her when you can.”

Brushing the crumbs off my blouse, I quickly make my way to my desk. I didn’t have the best of relationship with my parents, especially after their divorce. Unless it was an emergency, my mother never called me. I always wondered if she blamed me for their marital problems.

“Mom, is everything OK?”

“Of course it is sweetie. You haven’t called me since Friday, so I got a little worried.”

Friday, then I realized that Erin had a different relationship with her mother. Memories of Erin’s past flooded in. Part of me felt angry; why had Eric been ignored? Even my father drifted apart, spending more time with his new family than with me.

“Erin, you sound distant. Talk to me, tell me what’s wrong.”

I let go of the breath I didn’t know I was holding. “Relationship problems.”

“I see, want to tell me about them.” She sounded so different, like she actually cared. Suddenly, I could feel the armor that had protected my heart, breaking. I didn’t realize until right then how much I really missed my mom.

Curling up in the chair, I talked about Kaylee and Tabitha. No, I didn’t explain how I switched from Eric to Erin, but I tried to express my feelings as best I could.

My mother listened; she actually listened to me, which was something she hadn’t done in a long time.

“Hey, how about I come up again. I know you just saw me over the holidays but I’ll get time off from the hospital and come for a visit.”

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I said. “You don’t have to do that. I know how important work is to you.”

What’s with all of the crying? I don’t think I have been this weepy since I attended Marlborough Elementary School. Not that it’s a bad thing actually.

“Yes, but you’re more important to me. I know you have your fund-raiser this weekend. Call me on Sunday, I want to hear all about it and we can make plans for my visit then.”

“OK. Love you.”

“Love you too sweetie, say hello to Tabitha and Kaylee for me.”

Curling up in a ball on my chair, I stared out the window. So now what? Was it possible to start my relationship over as Eric with my mother? Where would I start?

Pulling up to my house that evening, I found a familiar looking car parked in my driveway.

“Kaylee?” I hesitantly opened the door and was instantly engulfed in a set of arms. We held one another for a little while before she pulled back.

“I’m sorry.”

“There’s nothing to be sorry about.”

Smiling, Kaylee took me by the hand and pulled me towards the kitchen. The entire house smelled wonderful, someone had been cooking up a storm while I was at work.

“You made dinner?”

“We made dinner.” Tabitha announced, coming out of the kitchen and into my arms. With a quick peck on the lips, and a pinch on my butt, she scampered away.

“Hey, watch your hands.” Kaylee growled.

“What? I just gave her a friendly greeting.”

“That’s not how friends greet one another.”

“Mine do.” Tabitha giggled from the other room.

Surprised to say the least, I looked about in confusion. “Not that I mind, but why are the two of you here?” With the pair of them in the same room, I expected a lot more damage to the furniture.

“Because you can’t live on frozen dinners every night. Plus, we haven’t had one of our homemade dinners like this in years. ”

Smiling, they knew me only too well; I couldn’t disagree with her although I’m not that bad a cook. “Oh well if that’s the case, unless Tabitha is cooking, then I’ll stick to ordering Chinese food tonight.”

“I heard that.” Another giggle came from the kitchen. Following the wonderful smell into the kitchen, I found her cutting up some vegetables. Haven’t been a big fan of them, but as Erin I like them well enough. I will say one thing; my diet has gotten infinitely better.

“That smells good.”

Smiling in thanks, Tabitha pointed to the oven. “I’m trying out my mother’s baked ziti receipt.”

As I grabbed a carrot, Kaylee came up behind me to give me a hug. “How is your mother, Tabitha?”

“She is doing well. A little annoyed at herself that she is off with my father in London while the whole divorce thing is going on. Plus, she wanted to be part of your enchantment.”

Tabitha’s mother, the middle of three sisters, worked for one of the smaller drug companies. She seemed to travel a lot between the US and Europe. Tabitha’s father worked for the same company, or did last time I asked.

“I’m surprised Aunt Tamsin didn’t take the first plane back anyway.”

Tabitha nodded. “I told her to stay, she is going to be home in a week or so anyway. Plus, I told your mom that I would take her place in the ritual, so it worked out fine.”

Swatting my hand away as she finished cutting up the rest of the carrots, she said. “Erin, why don’t you get into something more comfortable while we finish dinner?”

Happy to get out of my work clothes, I reentered the dining room to find the two of them had already set the table. As there was nothing for me to do, I took a seat.

Tabitha actually happened to be a great cook, at least that’s what Kaylee had been telling me. Throughout dinner, I couldn’t help but agree with her. I knew that her husband didn’t have an affair because she couldn’t cook; the guy was a complete idiot.

As soon as we started to eat, it was like the three of us were sitting at my parent’s pool again. We laughed, or in my case giggled and just had fun. As Kaylee brought out her grandmother’s tarts for dessert, I realized I missed having my friends over for dinner.

“Why did we stop our dinners together, Kaylee?” I took a sip of wine. I had broken out a couple of bottles of the good stuff already.

“Because Lori hated her.” Tabitha said absentmindedly before covering her hands with her mouth. “Shit, sorry.” She seemed a bit inebriated, then again so did Kaylee.

Turing to her, I raised an eyebrow. “Is that why you haven’t been around much lately?”

Kaylee sighed. “Your ex took me aside, explaining to me in detail that she wasn’t comfortable with me being around.”

“Bullshit.” Tabitha pointed a finger at Kaylee. “Tell her, what her stupid ex really said.”

“She said she didn’t want some dyke hanging around her husband.”

“Wow, really?”

How could I have missed that? Looking back I knew that Lori had particular ideas about gays and lesbians in general, but was she really that bad? Erin never met Lori, and from what I just heard I wouldn’t have gotten along with her anyway.

“I’m sorry.”

“Nothing personal Erin, but I hated the bitch.” Tabitha made a face. As she opened another bottle of wine, I decided that either Kaylee or I would be driving her home.

Kaylee smiled leaning over to hug my arm, snuggling up as she shipped her glass of wine. “Nothing you did Erin, I’m guessing you don’t even know Lori.”

“Nope, another good thing to put on the girl’s list.”

“Girl’s list?” Tabitha and Kaylee looked at one another.

Blushing, I nodded. “Well, you know me and my lists. Anyway, I have been tallying up the differences between my life as Eric and my life as Erin.”

“And the winner is?” Tabitha asked.

“I’ll tell you Sunday.”

With the rest of the apple tarts in hand, we made our way into the living room. From somewhere, Kaylee had broken open one of my pear wines as well. As we continued to drink, I started to tell the two of them about my failed marriages.

Tabitha in turn talked about her husband Jeff and her less than stellar relationships before him. Even Kaylee, who had never spoken to me about Meredith, opened up.

We were there for one another; we listened, when Kaylee cried, both of us held her. Same thing when Tabitha started to rage. We held her until she settled down before bursting into tears. She had the hardest time, the wounds being so fresh. Looking back, as Eric that night would never have happened.

“Christ, all three of us suck at relationships.” Tabitha growled, pouring herself another glass of pear wine. Kaylee and I seconded that comment with another glass for ourselves.

When the night ended, I wasn’t sure. The next day, I heard a buzzing sound as my alarm tried to get me out of bed. My head hurt, my mouth felt fuzzy and I didn’t feel particularly well. I also appeared to be missing most of my clothes.

When my hand reached out to hit the alarm, it landed on something soft and squishy. I squeezed it for a second, then my eyes shot opened. Half-naked next to me lay Tabitha.

At the same time my eyes shot opened so did hers. Before I could say anything, I heard a wail.

“No…No…” Kaylee cried. “This wasn’t how it was supposed to happen.”

I turned over to find Kaylee starting at me in horror. “I’m sorry, Erin.”

Giggling, I pulled her into a hug. “It’s OK, so we had a naked drunk slumber party.” This had to be a dream, really, my old adolescent fantasies running amok.

Tabitha, slapping the alarm, wrapped herself in one of the blankets and headed towards the bathroom before shouting. “Wouldn’t be my first time.”

Wincing at the shout, Kaylee pulled herself away from me. “No, Erin you don’t understand. Don’t you remember what I told you?”

She looked at me in panic. I then understood the implications of what might have just happened. Then it hit me, I might be Erin for good.

Tabitha came back in with a bottle of aspirin and two glasses of water. “I don’t think we did anything. “ However, she didn’t sound very convincing.

“It will be OK; it’s not your fault, Kaylee.” I felt a little numb, trying to fathom what just happened. Unfortunately, I couldn't agree or disagree with Tabitha. Last night seemed all fuzzy.

Tabitha looked at me concerned, however I was actually more worried about Kaylee.

“No, it’s my fault.”

Taking two aspirins out of the bottle, I made Kaylee take them before I took some myself.

“All three of us drank too much last night. Seems I still needed that good drunk, something you interrupted a few days back.”

“Your right, it’s my fault that you’re a woman. I shouldn't have forced you to do the ritual.”

“No you shouldn't have.” Tabitha sat on the bed, taking the bottle out of my hand.

“Tabitha.” I admonished her.

“No she’s right; I should have just had the ritual turn me straight. I was selfish.”

“Yes, you were.” Tabitha agreed with her once more. Lying back down on the bed, she curled her body around me. Looking up she said. “You’re taking this awfully well, Erin.”

Kaylee looked at me, with tears in her eyes. “Is it really OK, you don’t hate me do you.”

“I could never hate you, silly.”

Holding her once more, I pulled all three of us back underneath the covers. I didn’t want to think about it, too tired to care. Maybe after lunch it would hit me one-way or another. I didn’t think I would fall back to sleep but I did.

Lunchtime however wasn’t much better. I called into work, telling them I would be working from home. Kaylee called her mother, and got a good scolding that we could hear from the kitchen. Passing the phone to Tabitha, she also got one from her Aunt as well.

I talked to Una after Tabitha took a seat on the couch, clutching her head. “I don’t mind the yelling but does it have to be so loud.”

The two of them stayed for most of the day, with me taking care of them. Funny thing, Eric hardly ever had a hangover. I had one, but it wasn’t as bad as the girls. Serves them right to mix wines.

Giving Kaylee a hug and a kiss, I put her in her car. “Please Kaylee, you don’t have to apologize. Yes, it’s fine. Say hi to your mom for me.”

As she drove away, Tabitha prepared to get into her car but not before she hugged me as well. “I’m sorry, Erin.”

“Tabitha, you’re just as bad.”

“Are you sure you OK? If this is permanent….”

“Life will go on.” I gave her a smile. What else could I say? “Really, it’s not like the end of the world. Actually, if this happened earlier in the week, I might have thought it did but now, not so much. I’m sorry about Sunday, though if that’s the case. I can’t give you an answer.”

“No Erin, you have it wrong.”

“I do?” Didn’t she say something about having Eric call her on Sunday?

“Yes.” Resting her hand on my chest, she smiled. “I love what’s in here.” She then reached over and kissed my forehead. “And what is in here, Eric or Erin doesn’t bother me.”

As Tabitha blew me a kiss and drove away, I realized I now had a lot more things to worry about beyond the fact that I might be Erin from now on.

Author's Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading!

Copyright © 2013 Elsbeth

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting Cliffhanger

So does the magic account for drunkeness?

In vino veritas? Will the right woman be chosen?

I would think conscious intent is needed for the magic to work.

A drunken roll in the hay is not love.

Or is it neither of them and Erin will turn back into Eric.

This is THE twist of the series I would wager.

As to who will win Eric/Erin? Why not both as polyamorous relationships have happened.

Kim

Intent

Elsbeth's picture

Your correct, although how about subconscious intent , not sure if the girls like to share though :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

You gotta have heart...

Andrea Lena's picture

"No Erin, you have it wrong.”

“I do?” Didn’t she say something about having Eric call her on Sunday?

“Yes.” Resting her hand on my chest, she smiled. “I love what’s in here.” She then reached over and kissed my forehead. “And what is in here, Eric or Erin doesn’t bother me.”

In the end, it's really the heart the matters, yes? Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Très intéressant

Pamreed's picture

Maybe the decision is out of Erin's hands!! But is this becoming a
ménage à trois? Not that I have any problems with that!! Been there
done that!! I think my record was 7 people in bed together and we
were not sleeping!!

l'amour vient dans beaucoup de différentes saveurs

Pamela

Missing Pieces Part 6

Liking Tabitha...wonder if she ends up with both..great story

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

A threesome?

They are already breaking society's rules by being lesbian. What's a little polyamory between friends in addition to that? Heck, even the first cousin thing isn't a problem in some parts of the country.

Comment on last chapter went FOOM, so here goes for two of them

The core of Eric/Erin's dilemma comes down to who is he or she? Deep in his or her core/soul/heart... who is the real person?

IF more of her is Erin then this not entirely truthful transformation spell Kaylee talked him into will have done a good thing.

If HE is more Eric than Erin, it may prove a disaster even if he is not stuck as Erin.

Not sure if Erin is *stuck*. For one I see hints, strong hints even her Eric side, her birth side may prefer to be Erin. This was a three way drunken tell it all party. Where they all let out their disappointments in life and what they REALLY thought of others. Eric's second wife was a prime bitch it would seem.

But thought they were naked and all they drank so much they have no memories of what happened. For all we know they fell asleep soon after they finished talking and no harm no foul. No evidence of sticky fingers or faces. No complaints, other than hangovers of odd pains, say in the lower regions.

I also agree Tabitha looks better and better to me as a person. But even if Kaylee was not totally truthful it is clear she loves Eric/Erin. Any deception was done out of desperation and her seeing in Eric's sad post divorce state a possibly solution for him in being transformed. IIE is is true perception or wishful thinking on Kaylee's part? Just how much of it is as a friend and how much as a possibly self delusional potential solution to both their lousy love lives?

If it takes having sex -- to orgasm I assume -- experience with someone you truly desire or pregnancy by any means to seal the spell she may be okay or might be bonded to Tabitha.

Tabitha long desired Eric but also loves Erin. And Erin said Tabitha NEVER would *poach* on a couple. Thus her not making a move back in high school when Eric was with the future first wife and her not interfearinfng when she realized the second wife was a homophobic creep.

Kaylee loves Eric as a friend, desires Erin as a friend/lover.

But then Kayle is strongly lesbian where as Tabitha is *flexible*? It seems both love the person not the body it is in BUT Kaylee as much as she loved Eric could never desire him. In a way her love, her sexual lust for Erin is selfish but she also freely admits it and is ashamed. And then we have Tabitha being all sexy and noble at the same time.

BIG dilemma for Erin/Eric... maybe.

I note, as I speculated but my post crashed, that the ritual COULD have been used to turn Kaylee straight so she could have loved Eric, he lifelong best friend.

What was unsaid IMHO is she feared it would somehow change who she was at a fundamental level and might still lose Eric/Erin. I mean could she be MADE straight yet remember she was lesbian? Or would those memories have to be altered/removed thus altering Kaylee?

That she did this very same thing to Eric, essentially, has her feeling very guilty and ashamed and is tearing her apart. But if Erin is more Erin than Eric then maybe it is not the crime she thinks it is. Poor judgment yes, but intended to harm Eric/Erin no.

She also admits what she did was selfish, a BIG point in her favor.

That she shows remorse and showed it before this possible shape locking three-way also scores points for Kaylee.

So which shall he or she chose? Still not convinced she is trapped in either for,.

BTW IF the 7 days ends and she changes back to Eric can they change him back to Erin anytime soon? Is is a one use spell in that rock or is it good for a couple times?

In the end I would prefer if it is his honest choice but stuck in a female body *with training wheels* as they would say at Bikini Beach, can Erin make an honest choice. Or could Eric on changing back?

Maybe the nonchoice of an accidental alcohol fueled night of nookie is a blessing as it may lessen any feelings of guilt?

Who knows? No easy answers here.

All three are people who have been hurt but also loving people of honor.

What is the way forward that will save their relationships now that all is revealed? Which choice/choices are the least damaging to who they are or were?

IE is Eric permanently Erin something of an identity death for the man? Or would it release the unfairly trapped female soul within that body?

As I said earlier, who is Erin/Eric really?

P.S. My inner 13 year old like the three way couple solution.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I agree with you here...

Even if I do feel like a deer caught in the headlights of an on-coming wall-o-text. :P

Elsbeth, wonderful chapter that throws a nice bit of suspence into the mix. Really looking forward to what happens next, although the two cousin in bed with the same girl who used to be a guy thing threw me for a small loop. XD

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Ok so now.......

Erin can be with either one, as a girl, and may not have a choice on the girl part anymore. So the big decision is does she hold out 'til sunday and see if Eric reappears, or just goes ahead and seals the deal now to stay Erin. It all comes down to - how fond was she of her former "willy". (giggles). Elsbeth, please do hurry back with next episode hon. (Hugs) Taarpa

Another enjoyable chapter

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I would struggle to believe that Kaylee's rivalry with Tabitha for Erin could lead to even a drunken threesome, so I'm guessing it's all fairly innocent semi-naked slumber party. Let's not forget Tabitha and Kaylee are cousins so a drunken threesome with them would be a bit 'ewwww'. Assuming I'm right, then the real bombshell for me was the news that Tabitha is interested in Erin or Eric. Whatever Erin chooses to do at the weekend his/her life is certainly going to be very changed come Monday!

I also can't help feel a little sorry for Eric in that Erin's life could come with the strap line "here's you but more successful and better liked". What child wouldn't want for a restored relationship with a parent that had basically cut him off? It's got to hurt a little to be the least successful outcome of yourself.

Great chapter with some interesting plot twists Elsbeth! :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

With Erin taking the news so

well, could mean that Eric was the shell that hid Erin until she came out of the cocoon.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's not like our other selves...

Andrea Lena's picture

...are mere husks or shells. With most of us, it's more a manner of integrating 'both' selves and presenting eventually as one self. But who we are before transition, or in my case, who I am no matter what comes to pass; we're the sum of our unique but connected selves, if that makes any sense. Nothing about our personalities is so simplistic so as to dismiss one or the other; more like we're complete to begin with, but we come to an understanding of what and how and who that completeness has become.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena